一木菩提 发表于 2010-5-31 21:24:17

转专业申请商科的FAQ

本帖最后由 一木菩提 于 2010-6-1 22:56 编辑

Q1 转专业申请看重的是什么?
先看一下Brandeis University Maief看重的申请要素
Who should apply

We look for ability and commitment to undertake challenging graduate study. You should have:

* a successful academic record in an American bachelor's or equivalent foreign degree program
    * significant work experience, ideally in finance or another analytical field
    * analytical skills as demonstrated with GMAT or GRE scores and a good academic record
    * motivation for graduate study

Prior studies should include a course in introductory economics (micro and macro). Statistics is recommended.
再看一下Rochester Simon商学院 MSF的要求

Personal Qualities and Leadership Potential
The Simon School values well-developed communication skills for all M.S. candidates. We desire to enroll self-motivated individuals who believe that M.S. study will significantly enhance both their technical and personal skill sets. Additionally, we seek evidence of team experiences and leadership skills, shown through extra-curricular activities and on-the-job projects.

The Committee may also use a personal interview, combined with the resume and essays to assess these qualitative aspects of your application. This interview is an important two-way communication between the School and the student. Treat the interview as you would a job interview - dress professionally, arrive a little ahead of schedule, and be prepared to discuss your background, while also asking a few key questions to learn about the program. Interviews are offered by invitation of the Admissions Committee.

Work Experience and Goals

The Simon School considers internships, part-time, and/or post-baccalaureate experience, when making admission decisions. The quality and quantity of working experience, combined with career goals, are evaluated equally. We do not have a minimum number of years of post-baccalaureate work experience required for admission consideration.

Academics
The Admissions Committee seeks candidates committed to academic excellence. We review both standardized exam scores (GRE or GMAT) and consider both the overall results, as well as the quantitative and verbal distribution of the exam. Additionally, we evaluate all undergraduate and graduate coursework that has been completed prior to applying. Specific review of business, accounting and mathematics grades, as well as your overall trend through the bachelor degree is considered, in addition to your cumulative GPA. Applicant concerns on any dimension of the academic profile may be briefly addressed in the optional essay.
大家可以发现GPA,GMAT/GRE, working experience,personal statement是着重被考察的指标。
其中GPA,GMAT作为标准化分数是相当重要的。即使你本科和金融不相关,你的高GPA是你学术能力和大学态度的证明。也是录取时着重考虑的因素。
working experience如果和商科能够扯上关系很好。如果不能,则需要你把你的工作经验包装成你转行到商科的优势资源,这得结合你的personal statement来。
最后是personal statement了,商科的essay是很重要的,它是用来衡量你学习的动机,用来凸显你非量化的优势和能力,用来展现你对未来规划思考的成熟度,用来说服录取委员会这个学习的机会将对你的成功起到多大帮助的。
作为非金融专业的申请者,尤其需要在这方面进行思考,对自己进行包装。突出自己的比较优势:
你也许没有学过商科,但是你有着扎实的数理基础和工科训练出来的problem solving skills。 也许你不懂金融的那些东西,但是你在某个行业积累了经验和认知,金融的知识可以帮助你在这个行业的职业规划起到一臂之力,etc
具体关于essay的东西就不赘述了,总之作为一个转专业的申请者,结合你之前的优势表现出你的motivation,表现出这个学位对你的助推作用是很重要的。

Q2 如果一点金融经济的课程都没有学过可以申请吗?

肯定是可以申请的,但是一般来说,你有了一点商科的背景,会更有利于申请到好学校。
有的学校会先录取你进来,然后根据背景让你修一部分under level的课程。
有的学校没有达到prerequisite就不接收。
这取决于你的背景和学校的偏好,是个非常case by case的事情。笔者本人没有修过任何金融课程,但是还是申请成功了,以下是我申请时询问某所学校得到的回复:
Dear Sir:
Hello. I'm a student majoring in engineering, I have had an internship experience in finance industry, and I also kept investing on stocks on my own. I'm extremely interested in your program for its practical curriculum. The trading lab is also a much desirable feature that draws my attention. But I am afraid my lack of education in finance is a great drawback, though I have excellent scores in math & statistics(the average of all math & statistics courses is about 94/100). Given my background, am I eligible for the quantitative track of finance?
Besides, I only have GRE scores, is it acceptable as the substitute of GMAT?  Any information about the questions would be highly appreciated. Thanks.

Best Regards
David
---------以下是program director的回复-----------------------------
Hi David:
Good morning.  Thank you for your interest in ***.  We will accept GRE scores.  I would urge you to apply to ***, with your background, there may be a good fit.  Best regards for the Holidays.  Cheers.
但是没有一点商科的课程不代表你完全不知道商科学的什么就可以直接申请,如果完全不知道金融的知识,一点都不了解你将要踏入的领域,你的personal statement是不会特别有说服力的。
这样你如何能够说服录取评委会你的兴趣呢?你如何能够展开谈到这个学位对你职位的帮助呢?
所以一般来说,最好还是有相关的课程的,一方面是背景提升,会申请到更好的学校;另一方面你会更了解即将进入的领域。
即使没有机会学到相关的课程,还是建议在写ps的时候,了解一下基本的金融/经济知识,了解一下金融行业的情况。这对你组织材料写文书都是非常有益处的。

Q3 如果有机会,我应该补充哪些金融方面的课程好呢?
先看一下几个项目对prerequisite的描述

Brandeis:
Prior studies should include a course in introductory economics (micro and macro). Statistics is recommended.

Rochester:
Specific review of business, accounting and mathematics grades, as well as your overall trend through the bachelor degree is considered

UMich Master of Financial Engineering:
In particular, students should have previously completed:
[*]Two years of college mathematics including multivariable calculus, differential   equations and linear algebra (Math 115, 116, 215, {216 or 316}, {214 or 217 or 417 or 419)[*]Two terms of calculus-based probability and statistics (Math/Stat 425 and Stat 426 or IOE 265 and 316/366 or EECS 401 and Stat 426)[*]Basic microeconomic theory/time value of money/interest: (Econ 401)[*]An introductory finance course (FIN 551)[*]Accounting Principles (ACC 501)[*]Mastery of Computer Programming skills (C or C++; SAS, visual basic, and MATLAB are prerequisites). Any student without the mastery of these computer programming skills is strongly urged to overload in appropriate courses during the program to ensure complete mastery. Furthermore, any courses taken to make-up computer programming or any other deficiency will not count toward electives.

由于笔者只熟悉MFE,MSF的要求。一般来说,如果有principle of micro/macro economics, principle of finance, accounting principles等introductory-level的课程是绝对足够了。会计硕士方面的情况,还请各位自己积极动手一把,和项目联系。邮件写好了,给每个想申请的项目群发一下也不费事儿。
当然还是那句话,如果你没有学这些课程,当然也可以申请,不过取决于applicant pool的竞争激烈程度,你个人的背景,以及校方的偏好了。

Q4 如果已经毕业了,我怎样才有机会弥补这些金融方面的课程呢?

笔者知道的途径有
1 summer school
2 non-degree
3 国内研究生/国内成人文凭
4 CFA

summer school:
summer school是学校用来创收的暑期项目,有授课式的,也有体验式旅游式的。当然我们这里当然选择授课式的。
以LSE summer school为例,就有accounting, finance, economics, management的初级和高一级别的课程供选修。
一般一个暑假可以修两门,在暑期的时间内把人家一学期要上的两门课搞定。完了给成绩单。申请的时候大多数学校还是认可的。

non-degree:
non-degree一般是一年或者一学期,就是不给学位,但注册了在大学里修课,课程看你的偏好。最后给你成绩单。如果你没有商科背景,它提供了一个毕业后给你修满prerequisite的机会,你可以在上non-degree的时候申请硕士学位的program。

优势是:1 能够弥补你没有学过商科的课程 2如果你GPA过于低,那么non-degree是一个弥补的机会 3有机会拿到美国老师的推荐信。在背景提升之后,你也许能够获得更好的金融硕士项目的录取
缺点自然是:又花钱,又花时间,

美国的本土学生如果想转行但是基础不够,也有的会选修non-degree, 但一般在社区大学修,因为学费便宜很多。一般修够所需的prerequisite就着手申请硕士项目了。

目前加拿大,美国,英国均有很多学校提供non-degree,
与它类似的是diploma program,这个我了解英国的两所学校有,如Warwick diploma in economics,
LSE diploma in accounting and finance.
对于我们想最终要硕士文凭的学生来说道理差不多的,跳板而已。提升背景,提高申请成功率。
但是花费与non-degree同样不菲,基本和在该国读一年的花费是一样的,只是作为一种方法列在这里。大家自行考虑。

研究生/成人文凭:
这个我就不多说了,大家都清楚。

CFA:
如果想做investment, equity research,CFA是个非常有帮助的证书,如果有精力,先考Level 1自然是好。这表明了你对金融的兴趣和具备了intro level的知识。但是这个能不能作为prerequisite的替代,得看校方的要求了。但是它在商科申请中肯定是有积极作用的,只是看程度了。

最后,重申一下,由于转专业学生定位较困难。
所以建议大家在选校之时积极主动地和director of the program联系。
每一个项目都会有一个人负责回答prospective student的咨询。
要知道,商科是你花钱去消费,所以你在付钱之前,去了解产品的质量,产品和你的适用程度是天经地义的。

Tyliay 发表于 2010-5-31 21:52:51

哎。。。。。。。。。我就是转专业的
本科到MS转了一次
MS到phd又转了一次,把本科和MS的专业结合起来读了。。。。。。。。。。。。。

一木菩提 发表于 2010-5-31 21:54:09

BSO phd~~
ls来讲讲申请phd的经验吧!!!!!

不过你跨度应该没从工科到商科大把~~~

节俭的D同学 发表于 2010-5-31 21:57:06

赞一木!加精!

Julia服部 发表于 2010-6-1 22:46:17

強re最後一段啊~~{:3_74:}

catherine22 发表于 2010-6-3 12:30:42

本科财务管理 工作:美资企业总账会计2年 现在要到瑞典读Finance master(2年)
计划奔美国PhD
可能性有多大?未来master这两年我需要主动做什么准备?
ps:据说我读的这项目单科挂科率80% GPA75/100就算好的了 看来GPA不能指望了。。。

promising~ 发表于 2010-6-13 20:30:47

本帖最后由 promising~ 于 2010-6-13 20:33 编辑

赞!
summer school的费用应该也是按课时来收的咯?

zxhocean 发表于 2010-6-21 08:42:34

谢谢lz介绍.

如果是人文社科,转专业到商科,有可行的方案么?譬如sociology到marketing.

一木菩提 发表于 2010-6-22 08:00:40

跟你是什么学科的没关系 硬性的就是看你满不满足对方的prerequiste,不满足的话修课也就介绍的那几种方式。要么提前补了,要么录取以后再补。
软性的就是看你能否把你挖掘以前的经验和学习背景,把自己包装得和mkt方向非常match。

现在先选校查项目,和对方咨询吧,对于转专业的,每个学校有不同的要求和偏好。

promising~ 发表于 2010-6-26 09:36:31

这个帖子可以置顶
沉了可惜了

trandee 发表于 2010-7-2 21:56:06

请问我学的是Biostatistics可以当作Statistics 么?谢谢大虾们
本人理科想转商科~

promising~ 发表于 2010-7-2 21:59:45

据我所知,有的biostatistics就是统计系开的哦,设在统计下面,所以大差不差啦