coni 发表于 2004-2-13 12:18:20

Issue68

Issue68
" People make the mistake of treating experts with suspicion and mistrust,no matter how valuable their contributions might be."

提纲:
1 支持应该怀疑,原因:可以发现原来理论中的错误,建立新的正确的理论。
2 有些人为什么怀疑: 怀疑权威,建立自己的理论可以为自己赢得威望 (从正面阐述)
3 不能无缘或者只为了名利而怀疑(从反面阐述上一段的内容)

正文:

Descartes, a famous philosopher, said:" One should doubt about everything one comes across in order to pursue the truth, and doubting in itself is a activity of thinking." And he also put forward the idea:" I think, and therefore I am." As Descartes said, I fully advocate that people should have the courage to treat experts with suspicion and mistrust, no matter how valuable their contributions might be, of course, as long as their suspicions are not groundless. And I also disagree with those people who doubt about experts with no reasons or solely in order to win reputation.

Human society is developing all the time, and this development is just resulted from the fact that people who are brave enough to doubt about the former experts overthrow many outdated or incorrect conceptions. If a person always conforms to conventional ways of thinking or to conventional practices, there is little chance for the person to acquire some breakthrough in certain field. As is known to all, because of the limitation of people's conceptions or scientific equipment, many former popular views or conceptions are completely or partially wrong, and these views or conceptions provide the people who are ambitious an access to success. Galileo is a case in point. Above all, he is a man who experimented, who despised the prejudices and book learning of Aristotelians, who put his questions to nature instead of to the ancients, and who drew his conclusions fearlessly. He had been the first to turn a telescope to the sky, and he had seen evidence enough to overthrow Aristotle and Ptolemy together. He is the man who climbed the Leaning Tower of Pisa and dropped various weights from the top, who rolled balls down inclined planes, and generalized the results of his many experiments into the famous law of free fall. Nowadays, we all know that Galileo's theory is right. But if there were no people to doubt about false ideas that Galileo once objected, maybe people nowadays don't know about the truth. Therefore, doubting about the thoughts or conclusions of experts is a strong power which may become the momentum of the progress of science.

What is more, no matter conscious or unconscious, successfully overthrowing a former expert can help the person win worldwide reputation and establish his/her own theory system.   Many famous scientists such as Galileo, Copernicus, Newton and Einstein are just cases in point. Consequently, by encouraging young people to doubt about experts, young people’s interests in science can be cultivated and their passion can also be aroused. Thus, there will be more people who are willing to enter into the scientific world.

However, I am strongly against the point of view that the only incentive of treating experts with suspicion and mistrust is to gain reputation or profit, which is immoral and is a blasphemy to the spirit of science. The purpose of doubting about experts should be to find the mistakes in former theories and make further progress in science or society and getting reputation is only an accompaniment of it. As a result, it is necessary for people to establish a right attitude towards experts and doubting about experts.

The progress of society needs people to continually abandon the wrong and outdated opinions or ideas and in the meantime to establish new theories and put forward new perspectives. Hence, it is very important and necessary for us to foster the ability of doubting about experts rationally and scientifically.

gdhdanny 发表于 2004-2-13 14:21:16

Descartes, a famous philosopher, said:" One should doubt about everything one comes across in order to pursue the truth, and doubting in itself is a(an) activity of thinking." And he also put forward the idea:" I think, and therefore I am." As Descartes said, I fully advocate that people should have the courage to treat experts with suspicion and mistrust, no matter how valuable their contributions might be, of course, as long as their suspicions are not groundless. And I also disagree with those people who doubt about experts with no reasons or solely in order to win reputation.
笛卡尔第二句话对观点有什么用呢?不理解得说。

Human society is developing all the time, and this development is just resulted from(result from不用被动吧) the fact that people who are brave enough to doubt about the former experts overthrow many outdated or incorrect conceptions. If a person always conforms to conventional ways of thinking or to conventional practices, there is little chance for the person to acquire some breakthrough in certain field. As is known to all, because of the limitation of people's conceptions or scientific equipment, many former popular views or conceptions are completely or partially wrong, and these views or conceptions provide the people who are ambitious an access to success. Galileo is a case in point. Above all, he is a man who experimented, who despised the prejudices and book learning of Aristotelians, who put his questions to nature instead of to the ancients, and who drew his conclusions fearlessly. He had been the first to turn a telescope to the sky, and he had seen evidence enough(感觉enough前面因该有个形容词) to overthrow Aristotle and Ptolemy together. He is the man who climbed the Leaning Tower of Pisa and dropped various weights from the top, (and who这里我也有疑问)who rolled balls down inclined planes, and generalized the results of his many (many of his)experiments into the famous law of free fall. Nowadays, we all know that Galileo's theory is right. But if there were no people to doubt about false ideas that Galileo once objected, maybe people nowadays don't know about the truth.(这句话的意思是说如果没有其他 反对伽利略观点的人,我们不可能认识到伽利略的正确。可这里举伽利略的例子是想说明他 勇于挑战传统观点,所以才获得了真理。是不是有点偏差?) Therefore, doubting about the thoughts or conclusions of experts is a strong power which may become the momentum of the progress of science.
例子举得很不错啊!羡慕ing!不过有个疑问,在英语里定语从句的排比是不是该用分号呢?如果是逗号的话,后面又是定语从句,怎么和非限制性定语从句区别呢?大家都来想想

What is more, no matter conscious or unconscious, successfully overthrowing a former expert can help the person win worldwide reputation and establish his/her own theory system. Many famous scientists such as Galileo, Copernicus, Newton and Einstein are just cases in point. Consequently, by encouraging young people to doubt about experts, young people’s interests in science can be cultivated and their passion can also be aroused. Thus, there will be more people who are willing to enter into the scientific world.
这段有点问题,Consequently后面的结论和TS有点偏差吧。而且近代科学家建立新的理论体系是不是一定overthrow前人的结论还要进一步讨论。例子的部分感觉太单薄了,一句话就得出结论是case in point, 好像argu里的错误啊。

However, I am strongly against the point of view that the only incentive of treating experts with suspicion and mistrust is to gain reputation or profit, which is immoral and is a blasphemy to the spirit of science. (我觉得反对一个观点和反对一个事实还是有区别的。前者除了对观点中的事实提出质疑外,还应该拿出自己的观点。)The purpose of doubting about experts should be to find the mistakes in former theories and make further progress in science or society and getting reputation is only an accompaniment of it. As a result, it is necessary for people to establish a right attitude towards experts and doubting about experts.

The progress of society needs people to continually abandon the wrong and outdated opinions or ideas and in the meantime to establish new theories and put forward new perspectives. Hence, it is very important and necessary for us to foster the ability of doubting about experts rationally and scientifically.
语言上基本没问题了。提纲也不错。不过论证过程还是有点问题,特别是前两个body总结的部分和段首的TS在意思层面上又不小距离,也可能使我没理解其中奥妙,还往你指点。

不管怎样,君之文章还是日臻完善,特别是第一段的例子很有气势。

coni 发表于 2004-2-13 23:12:45

谢谢,这篇是我原来没严格限时的时候写的,没什么值得夸奖的。

第一段中笛卡儿的观点:" I think, and therefore I am." 的中文翻译是:我思即我在, 据说是他“怀疑别人”理论的精髓

第二段中的最后一句话:But if there were no people to doubt about false ideas that Galileo once objected, maybe people nowadays don't know about the truth  我想表达的意思是:如果没有人怀疑 Galileo 曾经反对过的观点(即亚里士多德的错误观点),也许现在人们也不知道真相。是我写的不清楚。不是你的问题。

第二段的例子应该没有错误,是我背的新概念上的,你回去看看你的新概念吧,应该有,是新概念4(新版的)

我在第三段中想说“推翻前人的理论可以为自己赢得名誉”并没有
说“一定要推翻前人的理论才可以赢得名誉”呀? 我也同意我只用了一个一句话的例子的确有点论证不太有力。我再想想吧。还有这段Consequently后面的结论的意思是说因为有前人之鉴,所以我们可以通过让我们的孩子知道通过推翻前人的理论可以为自己赢得名誉来鼓励他们献身科学事业,我不太明白你说的和TS偏差大是什么意思。

谢谢你的修改。

gdhdanny 发表于 2004-2-13 23:50:15

据说是他“怀疑别人”理论的精髓
那也该加上一句解释的话吧,为什么“我思故我在”就能怀疑别人了?

你说的第二段的例子是Galileo Reborn里的?我背的那篇Galileo的文章是欲抑先扬,全文想批驳伽利略成功的偶然性,你用的是哪篇?

第三段我不理解的地方是这样的。你的推理是不是这样:
推翻理论—〉获得名望—〉提高兴趣—〉投身科学—〉建立理论?

coni 发表于 2004-2-13 23:55:38

是Galileo Reborn里的,正因为是欲抑先扬,所以我才只用了扬的那一个部分。

我第三段的思路是:
推翻理论—〉获得名望—〉提高兴趣—〉投身科学
没有最后的建立理论,建立不建立是他们自己的事,看他们有没有本事,但关键是用什么方法让他们先投身科学

gdhdanny 发表于 2004-2-14 00:07:28

那就对了
你看原文,是不是在可能又从句歧义的地方或者用了冒号,或者用了and who

第三段我还是觉得有点跳跃,也可能今天大脑混乱了
页: [1]