EducationUSA 发表于 2014-3-25 11:36:34

homuncilus 发表于 2014-3-25 11:12 static/image/common/back.gif
@三位美国嘉宾

Could Mr. Duran, Joanna and Megan introduce respectively about the classroom cultur ...

There are different types of classes in the United States, and even within my home university there are different size classes that change the culture of the classroom. There are big lecture classes that do not have many question and answer opportunities, but mostly consist of reading the text books and taking notes on the powerpoints. But, once you get into more specialized courses the classes are smaller, and the professors will ask each student their opinions and understandings of the course materials. You will be expected to share your personal thoughts on the readings for class or the homework assigned. Usually students are pretty competitive on tests and essays to have the best grades, so they are very diligent in note taking and participating in class discussion.
~Megan 卫美妍

EducationUSA 发表于 2014-3-25 11:40:58

homuncilus 发表于 2014-3-25 11:12 static/image/common/back.gif
@三位美国嘉宾

Could Mr. Duran, Joanna and Megan introduce respectively about the classroom cultur ...

Hi there! I will gladly introduce the classroom culture at UPenn. As it is a very prestigious school, students are here to work hard and are used to a rigorous academic life. Many are quite opinionated and verbal in the classroom, which opens up great doors for discussion in smaller seminar type classes. In introductory lectures most students will take notes on a laptop or other electronic device and will email or do other things during the class as well. UPenn students like to be very busy and involved in many different things and this is apparent in the classroom as well. As you progress within your major you will be in smaller classes where students will be more focused and attentive during the class. Many students will want to get to know the professor to establish a relationship with them so they will attend the professor’s office hours to ask questions about the class material or about careers. Penn students are very hard working and can be competitive in terms of grades, but it is not a hostile environment. You will also find some students who are complacent with low grades and who do not put as much effort into their studies. I would suggest befriending the hard-working and high-achieving students wherever you go to school so that you will be surrounded by good influences and are not discouraged from spending time studying.

EducationUSA 发表于 2014-3-25 11:41:28

homuncilus 发表于 2014-3-25 11:17 static/image/common/back.gif
林梦悠芫 @Ruben Duran

Hi, I am going to further my graduate study this fall in landscape architec ...

Great question, and it will have to be my last, as we are wrapping up here.

1.) I do not know that it will make a difference whether a school has a high or low percentage of Chinese students enrolled.  Your social circle is entirely dependent on you - if you want to only interact with other Chinese students, then your circle will be dependent on the number there.  You are only limited by your imagination and ability to challenge yourself.

2.) As previously mentioned, finding employment in the United States as a foreign student can be very challenging.  I would recommend talking to the school's career center.

Thanks to everyone for your great questions, and good luck in all of your pursuits!

Best,
Ruben

EducationUSA 发表于 2014-3-25 11:43:59

I think we are finishing up here.  I want to thank all of you for your great questions, and wish you the best of luck in pursuing your goals of studying in the United States.  It is truly the beautiful country (美国).

Best,
Ruben

EducationUSA 发表于 2014-3-25 11:44:56

homuncilus 发表于 2014-3-25 11:11 static/image/common/back.gif
@Mr. Duran and Joanna and Megan

What student organizations/community activities that Mr. Duran ha ...

I am involved in a couple different organizations: I am a member of a sorority; I volunteer as conversation partner for incoming international students to practice their English; I often am a peer-adviser for incoming freshmen; and I sometimes participate in a club to learn salsa dancing. I feel that I have gained leadership experience from my sorority, and all my activities have helped me develop more friendships with other students that I would not have otherwise had the opportunity to get to know them. From the organizations I have found study groups, best friends, and traveling companions.

Megan

EducationUSA 发表于 2014-3-25 11:46:27

Thank you everyone for your questions! It was a pleasure being able to answer them, I wish you all the best of luck in all your future travels and study to the United States.

Megan 卫美妍

EducationUSA 发表于 2014-3-25 11:47:14

Good luck on your studies everyone! I hope I helped out by answering your questions. Your education will open up many doors to you. Don't be afraid to aim high and achieve your goals!

乔安娜 / Joanna

wang_come_on 发表于 2014-3-25 11:48:49

On behalf of everyone at gter.net, I'd like to thank our dear gusts for their time and excellent answers. Good luck to everyone!

EducationUSA 发表于 2014-3-25 11:56:44

非常高兴大家能够提出这么多的好问题,也希望我们嘉宾的答案能够助大家的留美之路一臂之力!关于此次活动没有回答完的问题,我们会在稍后补充。也欢迎大家到www.educationusachina.com的网站提问更多的问题,我们一定会第一时间回答!最后非常感谢大家的参与!

homuncilus 发表于 2014-3-25 12:04:14

感谢寄托网友的积极提问!感谢美国驻华大使馆EducationUSA四位嘉宾的精彩回答!
本次在线活动圆满结束,问答汇编帖将稍后呈现。

EducationUSA 发表于 2014-3-25 14:08:47

homuncilus 发表于 2014-3-24 17:23 static/image/common/back.gif
NO.3 silverreal@吴迪

Hello! I am Isabella, thanks for your cooperation.

Hi Isabella, thank you for your question. I think I can make a phone call to you to discuss with you about your question. You can leave your phone number by sending a message to EducationUSA Gter Account. I will phone you back as soon as possible. Thank you!

EducationUSA 发表于 2014-3-25 14:17:44

homuncilus 发表于 2014-3-24 17:30 static/image/common/back.gif
NO.5 wang_come_on

Q1: @三位美国嘉宾

What are some of the most common wrong ideas Chinese students have toward applying for US grad schools?

在众多申请美国研究生院的中国学生中,在选择学校的时候,大部分学生还一直秉承着排名第一的原则而忽略了研究生项目本身的内涵。所以我们一直建议大家在选择研究生项目的时候一定要多看项目本身的内容,比如项目介绍,学生构成,教授介绍,课程设置,实习机会,招生标准等等。这样才会使学生未来的学习更加得心应手。希望大家都能选择到最适合自己的美国大学和研究生项目。

吴迪

EducationUSA 发表于 2014-3-25 14:18:41

homuncilus 发表于 2014-3-24 17:31 static/image/common/back.gif
NO.7 破格@ Mr. Duran

Hi, I want to know more about financial proof during the visa process.

你好!感谢你的问题。很抱歉我们本次活动不回答关于学生签证的任何问题。

EducationUSA 发表于 2014-3-25 14:19:47

Zhaitb 发表于 2014-3-25 10:22 static/image/common/back.gif
@吴迪

Dear Wu Di,

你好,感谢你的问题。很抱歉我们在本次活动不回答关于学生签证的任何问题。

EducationUSA 发表于 2014-3-25 14:28:31

homuncilus 发表于 2014-3-25 11:16 static/image/common/back.gif
@吴迪

要想进一步了解美国学生每日学习内容的话,请问在哪里可以买到美国大学的教科书和参考资料呢?

你好!你的问题非常有代表性。和中国一样在美国的书店里购买教科书的确很贵。通常情况下美国的大学生都会选择去网上购书。也有的大学会有一些出售二手书的活动。大家可以在入学后多多请教一下前一届的学姐和学哥来获得关于你所在大学购买教科书的信息。希望这个答案会对你有帮助。
页: 1 2 3 [4] 5
查看完整版本: 【问答汇总】[寄托在线谈]『去美国前你该知道的那些事儿』