go-wetland 发表于 2015-6-27 00:50:10

关于美国文理学院

我现在在美国一个私立文理学院教市场营销,想跟大家谈一谈文理学院。文理学院(Liberal Arts College)是美国高校的重要种类之一,以本科教育为主,其特征是注重全面综合的素质教育,设置课程包括艺术、人文、自然科学、社会科学等各个门类。美国有相当一部分学生从这些文理学院获得学士学位。在大部分美国人心目中,文理学院往往代表着经典、小规模、高质量的本科教育。

根据我的观察,私立文理学院的优势是:
1。学费上的优势:
一些私立文理学院会根据中国学生的成绩(比如高中成绩),给予不同程度的学费减免,这会减轻许多中国家庭的负担。 对于学生的各种外部交流活动,私立文理学院也提供很多资助。
2。对学生个体的关注。
私立文理学院是小班教学,对每个学生,尤其是每个国际学生都很关注,关注他们的学习和生活。鼓励国际学生多参与校园活动,结交美国朋友,多融入美国的文化。我认识的全部中国学生的英语水平提高很快,对美国的生活也适应很快。
学校根据学生的兴趣,提供特别的帮助。比如,学生如果想在毕业后入读研究生院(比如博士学位),学校会给学生提供很多学术研究的机会,我知道几个中国学生,本科毕业后,直接入读名校的博士学位。
学生如果想在毕业后直接工作,学校会提供很多实习机会,还会帮助介绍工作,我知道,中国学生也会成功地找到工作,大型的公立学校是没有这些优势的(学生太多,对个体关注不足)。
如果,你们有进一步的问题,可以随时问我。

西城奥德健身小牛 发表于 2015-7-9 14:11:04

您好,您对社区学院了解吗,可以推荐几所不错的吗,学费具体多少?谢谢。

genie05 发表于 2015-7-11 10:35:49

学费上的优势还需要具体讲讲,毕竟大部分LAC是私校,学费普遍明显高于公立学校。减免之后会低于公立学校的全额学费么?有没有具体数学解释一下。谢谢。

go-wetland 发表于 2015-7-13 22:30:22

genie05 发表于 2015-7-11 10:35 static/image/common/back.gif
学费上的优势还需要具体讲讲,毕竟大部分LAC是私校,学费普遍明显高于公立学校。减免之后会低于公立学校的全 ...

我们学校本科一年学费: $30,350, 会根据你的高中成绩,最多可减免到$12,140(
学费的60%)。 远远低于很多州立大学的国际生学费。

go-wetland 发表于 2015-7-13 22:38:46

西城奥德健身小牛 发表于 2015-7-9 14:11 static/image/common/back.gif
您好,您对社区学院了解吗,可以推荐几所不错的吗,学费具体多少?谢谢。

美国社区学院的排名:http://money.cnn.com/pf/college/community-colleges/

社区学院的学生,一般是上两年就转到四年制大学。你如果对一个地区感兴趣(比如加州,纽约),可以查查附近的社区大学, 问问学校以往的学生都转学到哪些大学,还要问问转学分问题。

hyacinth 发表于 2015-8-25 23:13:59

they may lead to a good grad school but most LACs are not good for hands-on experience.

七月789 发表于 2015-9-1 02:36:27

:p

sunskystar 发表于 2015-10-6 10:18:29

hyacinth 发表于 2015-8-25 23:13 static/image/common/back.gif
they may lead to a good grad school but most LACs are not good for hands-on experience.

同意, LAC多数注重的是综合素质的培养,比较多core requirement,相对应的就少了实用实习的机会,毕业直接工作比大校有差,但是萝卜青菜各有所爱,让我重新选择真心喜爱的大学环境,我还是会选lac

hyacinth 发表于 2015-11-7 02:53:19

sunskystar 发表于 2015-10-6 10:18 static/image/common/back.gif
同意, LAC多数注重的是综合素质的培养,比较多core requirement,相对应的就少了实用实习的机会,毕业直接 ...

其實聰明人不管去lac還是大u都無所謂。:p

com60400 发表于 2016-4-2 17:02:04

学费上的优势:
一些私立文理学院会根据中国学生的成绩(比如高中成绩),给予不同程度的学费减免,这会减轻许多中国家庭的负担。 对于学生的各种外部交流活动,私立文理学院也提供很多资助。

Yissua 发表于 2016-9-6 11:07:30

hyacinth 发表于 2015-8-25 23:13 static/image/common/back.gif

Most of the elite schools don't teach "hands-on" stuff for undergrad because they cultivate leaders rather than technicians

hyacinth 发表于 2016-9-10 05:25:16

Yissua 发表于 2016-9-6 11:07 static/image/common/back.gif
Most of the elite schools don't teach "hands-on" stuff for undergrad because they cultivate lead ...

true.

but it's easier to learn hands-on stuff or technical skills at a young age. Most people find it harder to learn or adjust themselves to new things when they are older. Leadership comes with age and experience if you are smart enough.

Of course there are always exceptions to rules...

Yissua 发表于 2016-9-14 02:18:22

本帖最后由 Yissua 于 2016-9-20 23:29 编辑

hyacinth 发表于 2016-9-10 05:25 static/image/common/back.gif
true.

but it's easier to learn hands-on stuff or technical skills at a young age. Most people f ...

Contrary to your belief, schools aren't necessarily the best places to learn hands-on skills, as they are called "hands-on" for a reason. The best way to learn things hands-on is through actual practice rather than textbooks, which is why many people find that the so called hands-on stuff they learned at school can't be applied anyway, and believe me, even after you graduate from college, you are still at a young age.

Furthermore, the point of higher education is not all about skills either. It's about learning how to think. A liberal arts education broadens your view and shapes the way you see the world. It offers you a "swiss army knife" mindset that enables you to think across disciplines and different perspectives, to look at the complex problems in a holistic view and inspire innovation, something that is not that easy to acquire just by age or "being smart."  This is the reason that the American higher education has such an emphasis on liberal arts, not just the liberal arts colleges, but also many top universities including most of the Ivy League.

I did my undergrad at an Ivy League school with a heavy focus on liberal arts. Our curriculum is filled with things that you may find impractical. But at the end of the day, most of our alumni came out of college well equipped for their career, and were successful in their fields. The essence of higher education should be training ones mind, not just teaching piratical skills, which is what separates the top institutions from the technical schools.

At the end of the day, it boils down to what you want from your education. If all you want is to have a job, then you don't have to go to a top school to do that-- you may go to a trade school and end up much better trained at those things than the Ivy Leaguers are-- after all, it's barely been the point of an Ivy League education. But since you're here, I assume you do hope to get into a great school. If that's the case, I highly recommend you to reconsider what you actually want to get out of that expensive education.

hyacinth 发表于 2017-1-26 01:36:04

Yissua 发表于 2016-9-14 02:18 static/image/common/back.gif
Contrary to your belief, schools aren't necessarily the best places to learn hands-on skills, as ...

Sure. I don't disagree with you but you were speaking to the wrong audience.

Yissua 发表于 2017-3-15 17:20:23

hyacinth 发表于 2017-1-26 01:36 static/image/common/back.gif
Sure. I don't disagree with you but you were speaking to the wrong audience.

I am simply reciprocating in a conversation and the only audience is you. I am not here to advocate liberal arts education, just sharing my thoughts, so there really isn't any right or wrong audience in my mind.
页: [1] 2
查看完整版本: 关于美国文理学院