hsliying 发表于 2004-6-30 17:02:08

issue 200 第一次写issue, 请不用给面子...多多指教

第一次写多花了15分钟也最终没有写够500字。错别字没纪录在里面,不然惨不忍睹。还有27天就考试了,issue 刚刚起步。不知道命运如何。请大家批评。
"The most elusive knowledge is self-knowledge, and it is usually acquired through solitude, rather than through interaction with others."
To thoroughly understand oneself is an abstract and time-consuming behavior.  To get quite comprehension of self-knowledge, solitary meditation is important, in which process, a person can temporarily escape from the disturb of the outside environment and immerge in thinking who am I, or what kind of person I am, etc.  However, human beings, who are social animals, can hardily live without interaction of others, as well as hardly acquire any knowledge purely solitarily even including self-knowledge.  Therefore, to understand an individual’s characters or motivations, either purely asking others’ evaluation, or merely rendering self-deliberation is sufficient.

First of all, when we act in certain ways, the behavior itself may not exactly explain the feelings hidden behind the behavior.  For example, once upon when I met my ex-boyfriend hugging his new girlfriend, I zealously said hello to them with smile.  However, only I knew I was crying in my heart.  This simple example shows that sometimes even though persons can deliberately deceive others, they could not cheat themselves because they know their own feelings.  In that case, we are able to get self-knowledge only through conversation with ourselves.  In the field of philosophy, our great predecessor Descartes is a famous solitary thinker.  In his “meditation”, he questions all the objective things may be nothing but illusion.  Only his mind cannot cheat him, which is the mere truth in the world.  Even though Descartes’ mentalism may not be the right answer of the world, at least his solitary thinking help him develop his self-knowledge and become one of the most influential philosopher in human’s history.

However, just as Kaul Marx advocates, anybody in the world is affected by false consciousness, which is determined by the specific social economic base and ideology. This false consciousness make acquiring self-knowledge is not only a matter of solitary thinking.  For example, there are two tribes, one taking eating worm as lousy, but another one preferring to eat worm.  Because originally, one tribe live in a area with lots of huge animal to catch as food, but for another tribe, the eatable beings in its territory is limited except worm.  It no wonder that the latter tribe take worm as their major food.  When the tribe’s later generations are asked why they eat worm, without knowing their tribe’s history, they may simply think they just born to eat worm, or they really consider worm tasty.  In this case, individual does not understand one’s character and preference well because they are not aware of they have been affected unconsciously. Without communicating with tribes, the later generation will never know their worn-eating habit does not come from their choice, but forced by objective circumstances.

In conclusion, whether individual thinking or referring the outside makes contributions to our understanding of self-knowledge.  But purely thorough one of ways may not aid us really acquire self-knowledge. And self-knowledge, the most elusive knowledge, needs us critical analysis of our own feelings together with others’ perspectives.

pooh 发表于 2004-6-30 22:51:49

"The most elusive knowledge is self-knowledge, and it is usually acquired through solitude, rather than through interaction with others."

To thoroughly understand oneself is an abstract and time-consuming behavior. To get quite comprehension of self-knowledge, solitary meditation is important, in which process有点罗嗦,不如改如though which , a person can temporarily escape from the disturb (disturbance )of the outside environment and immerge in thinking who am I, or what kind of person I am, etc. However, human beings, who are social animals(建议改为 as social animals, 因为从句太多给人感觉不流畅不简洁), can hardily live without interaction of others, as well as hardly acquire any knowledge purely solitarily even including self-knowledge.(as well as 后面的部分作为次要内容,或者早就熟悉的内容提起,如果你想重点说明self-knowledge, 最好不要放到as well as 后面的从句中!一定要严格掌握词组的用法) Therefore, to understand an individual’s characters or motivations, either purely asking others’ evaluation, or merely rendering self-deliberation is sufficient.最后这句,用either or 不对,因为either or 表示或者,而你想表达的是both的意思,而且用sufficient也不合适,这样太绝对了,排除了其它方式的可能。问题是题目并没有问你有这两种方法是不是足够,作为一个主题句,一定要严谨。

First of all, when we act in certain ways, the behavior itself may not exactly explain the feelings hidden behind the behavior. For example, once upon when I met my ex-boyfriend hugging his new girlfriend, I zealously said hello to them with smile. However, only I knew I was crying in my heart. This simple example shows that sometimes even though persons can deliberately deceive others, they could not cheat themselves because they know their own feelings. In that case, we are able to get self-knowledge only through conversation with ourselves. In the field of philosophy, our great predecessor Descartes is a famous solitary thinker. In his “meditation”, he questions all the objective things may be nothing but illusion. Only his mind cannot cheat him, which is the mere truth in the world. Even though Descartes’ mentalism may not be the right answer of the world, at least his solitary thinking help him develop his self-knowledge and become one of the most influential philosopher in human’s history. 建议把Descartes的例子放在前面,把你自己的例子放后,一般来说,Topic sentense 之后要有论述,然后再跟例子

However, just as Kaul Marx advocates, anybody in the world is affected by false consciousness, which is determined by the specific social economic base basis and ideology. This false consciousness make acquiring self-knowledge is not only a matter of solitary thinking. For example, there are two tribes, one taking eating worm as lousy, but another one preferring to eat worm. Because originally, one tribe live in a area with lots of huge animal to catch as food, but for another tribe, the eatable beings in its territory is limited except worm. It no wonder that the latter tribe take worm as their major food. When the tribe’s later generations are asked why they eat worm, without knowing their tribe’s history, they may simply think they just born to eat worm, or they really consider worm tasty. In this case, individual does not understand one’s character and preference well because they are not aware of they have been affected unconsciously. Without communicating with tribes, the later generation will never know their worn-eating habit does not come from their choice, but forced by objective circumstances. 吃虫子也算是self-knowledge? 这个例子不恰当

In conclusion, whether individual thinking or referring the outside makes contributions to our understanding of self-knowledge. But purely thorough one of ways may not aid us really acquire self-knowledge. And self-knowledge, the most elusive knowledge, needs us critical analysis of our own feelings together with others’ perspectives.

后几段语言上没给你纠正,总的还可以,虽说的表达不简洁,但是我的标准似乎高了点。结尾还不错。加油!

真生 发表于 2004-7-1 09:18:21

To thoroughly understand oneself is an abstract and time-consuming behavior process 自省已经不是简单的行为主义. To get quite comprehension of self-knowledge, solitary meditation is important, in which process, 去a person can temporarily escape from the disturb disturbance of the outside environment and immerge in thinking who am I, or what kind of person I am, etc. However, human beings, who are 改as social animals, can hardly live without interaction of others, as well as hardly acquire any knowledge purely solitarily even including self-knowledge 去. Therefore, to understand an individual’s characters or motivations, either 去 purely 改merely, 后面那个去 asking others’ evaluation, or merely rendering self-deliberation is sufficient 你是想说insufficient吧.  你能提到meditation让我微微吃惊,也很开心。不过这个process描写的不正确,meditation达到的是absolute emptiness的境界,你所想的已经不是自己这一个体那么简单了,而是宇宙的wholeness. 扯远了,就当是背景知识吧

First of all, when we act in certain ways, the behavior itself may not exactly explain the feelings hidden behind the behavior改it. For example, once upon when I met my ex-boyfriend hugging his new girlfriend, I zealously 不好said hello to them with a smile. However, only I knew I was crying in my heart. This simple example shows that sometimes even though persons can deliberately deceive others, they could not cheat themselves because they know their own feelings. In that case, we are able to get self-knowledge only through conversation with ourselves. In the field of philosophy, our great predecessor Descartes is a famous solitary thinker. In his “meditation”, he questions all the objective things may 去 be nothing but illusion. Only his mind cannot cheat him 我觉得这一句用强调句型It is …that…更好, which is the mere truth in the world. Even though Descartes’ mentalism may not be the right answer of the world, at least his solitary thinking help him develop his self-knowledge and become one of the most influential philosopher in human’s history.

However, just as Kaul Karl Marx advocates, anybody in the world is affected by false consciousness, which is determined by the specific social economic base and ideology. This false consciousness make acquiring self-knowledge is not only a matter of solitary thinking 怎么出现两个谓语?用了not only,后面却什么也没有. For example, there are two tribes, one taking eating worm as lousy, but another one preferring to eat worm 用对称的句式,比如regarding it as tasty. Because originally, one tribe lives in an area with lots of huge animals to catch as food 去, but for another tribe, the eatable beings in its territory is limited except worm 单复数要注意. It no 改No wonder that the latter tribe take worm as their major food. When the tribe’s later generations are asked why they eat worm, without knowing their tribe’s history, they may simply think they just born to eat worm, or they really consider worm tasty. In this case, individual does not understand one’s character and preference well because they are not aware of they have been affected unconsciously. Without communicating with tribes, the later generation will never know their worm-eating habit does not come from their choice, but forced by objective circumstances. 这个例子是想论证周遭环境对人潜意识的影响吧?觉得不是很合适。最后一句有问题,因为在西方的思维观念里,经过数十、几十代generation,一个民族的文化形成很难更改的pattern, 换句话说,习惯已经渗透在他们的基因,他们的血液中,不再存在force的问题。老外280篇里经常出现的就是nature-or-nurture.
In conclusion, whether individual thinking or referring to? the outside makes contributions to our understanding of self-knowledge. But purely thorough one of ways may not aid us to really acquire self-knowledge. And self-knowledge, the most elusive knowledge, needs us改our critical analysis of our own feelings together with others' perspectives.

hsliying 发表于 2004-7-1 19:58:36

多谢指导。我回去仔细研究了一下两位的建议。
关于那个虫子的例子,是我写着写着突然想起来的。我曾经修过一门哲学课,在讲马克思的false consciousness 的时候老师举的例子。正如真生老师说的,它是想论证外界对人认识的影响的。是说,我们现在自以为的爱好,习性的根本决定者是客观的经济基础,对于某些种族来说,食物选择不多便是这一基础。如果单纯的回答:我喜欢吃虫子不是right answer. 所以,错误脱离联系客观环境来reading oneself是得不到正解的。这个虫子例子本来是有个term的,不过让我给忘了,笔记也不在身边….不好意思。
不知道我这样子解释一下后,能不能把它用在这篇文里面了呢?

真生 发表于 2004-7-1 22:20:24

千万不要叫我老师,一是没资格,二是会给叫老的!这一阵老觉得自己开始aging了 :(

我知道你例子的意思。但你得解释给ETS听,我认为把individual does not understand one’s character and preference well because they are not aware of they have been affected unconsciously这句修改强调后放到末尾句比较好,这样就不仅是个体情况了。
页: [1]
查看完整版本: issue200 第一次写issue, 请不用给面子...多多指教