yupl 发表于 2004-7-1 03:23:34

Writing comparison or contrast paragraph

My note from Along these lines-writing paragraphs and eassys
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0131112198/qid=1088624050/sr=8-1/ref=pd_ka_1/104-5449922-1285567?v=glance&s=books&n=507846

Writing comparison or contrast paragraph
Comparison meant to show “similarities”, while contrast to point out “difference”. When writing either a comparison or contrast paragraph, one needs to come to some conclusions.  Saying that “they are similar or different” is far from enough. Instead, one should better state that “My cousin Bill and my brother Karren both are so stubborn that they can’t get along.”

The following are some hint for writing these kinds of paragraph:
1.        Limit your topic
2.        Make your point in the topic sentence of your comparison or contrast paragraph. One should indicate whether he/she wants to tell others similarity or difference in a topic sentence like this:
•        Because he is so reliable and loyal, Michal is a much better friend to me than Stefan.
•        My two brothers share a love of the environment and the passion for protecting it.
3.        Don’t announce in the topic sentence, like:
•        Let me tell you why Stefan is not a better friend to me than Michal.
4.        In TS, cover both topics. Don’t only talk about one object.

Organization of these kinds of paragraph
One way is subject by subject, the other is point by point. The former describes one subject item by item first, and then describes the other one. For example, my car’s price, space, color and speed compared with my brother’s car’s price, space, color and speed. Remember, you should compare all the features of both subjects which you have listed in the same order.
In contrast, in the later pattern one support and explain the TS by discussing each point of comparison or contrast, switching back and forth between the subjects. One explains one point for each subject, and then explains another point, and so on.

Transitions of these paragraphs
Using transitions make paragraph clear and well-organized. What kinds of transitions should be used depend on the TS of the paragraph.

For comparison:
Additionally, both, in the same, similarly, again, each of, just like, like, similar to, also, equally, too, also, and, furthermore, likewise, so, as well as, in addition

For contrast:
On the contrary, on the other hand, otherwise, conversely, however, but, except, nevertheless, in spite of, though, but, unlike, whereas, different from, in contrast to,while, despite, instead of, still, yet.

apolloxp 发表于 2004-7-1 12:17:25

不错的材料。谢谢分享
页: [1]
查看完整版本: Writing comparison or contrast paragraph