quanbinn 发表于 2008-7-28 04:21:28

我用过的申请材料

10 December 2005
Re: Application of xxx xxx
Members of the Admissions Committee:

I am pleased to recommend xxx xxx for admission to a master’s level graduate program. I have known him this semester as a result of his enrollment in my graduate level “xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx” class at Texas A&M University.

As a Ph.D. student, it may seem unusual for him to elect to seek another “lesser” degree, but his ambition is to continue to round out an international education with a better understanding of Western theory in design, architecture, and urban panning, before returning to practice in China. I am convinced he has the design skill, and extraordinary motivation to succeed. He has outstanding professional and educational credentials from China. He has large, highly competent projects to his credit in China, and wishes to enhance his understanding of design from other perspectives. He has had success as a graduate student at Texas A&M and is fully conversant with research methods. His curiosity is a wonderful asset, as is his energy, enthusiasm, and quick, inquiring submissions.

His weakness is his level of English proficiency. While his excellent papers are carefully edited and proofed, his “live” writing is strained and lacks grammar. He has a strong vocabulary, understands conversational and technical English extremely well, but speaks with a strong accent and without grammatical precision. He is, however, constantly working to improve and devotes extra time to submit well-composed submissions.

I believe xxx xxx can work at the top level of master’s level graduate programs at America’s finest universities. He has demonstrated that in my class this semester. I am convinced that he will become a leading architect in China’s robust future.  

Sincerely,

xxx, FAIA, FACHA
Associate Professor of Architecture
Fellow, Center for Health Systems & Design
Texas A&M University

这是美国的教授给我写的一封推荐信,但信中提到了我的英语口语和即时写作的问题,而且提到了我在Texas am的ph.d. student 的身份(因为是转建筑学的硕士,我不想让申请学校知道),所以这封推荐信我没有寄出。但其中的好的部分我用在了别的推荐信上。

[ 本帖最后由 quanbinn 于 2008-7-28 08:52 编辑 ]

quanbinn 发表于 2008-7-28 04:22:25

回复 #1 quanbinn 的帖子

Reference by my boss in VBN Architects in China  

November 5, 2005
Re: Applicant of Bin Xia

I gladly recommend XXX, an outstanding architect, to you for admission to your master program in architecture. As my former employee, he joined the Beijing Office of VBN Architects from August 2000 to August 2001. During the year he had participated in two large civic projects: Zunyi Civic Center and Wudang Civic Center, Guiyang. I found him an exceptional architect with an excellent intellectual capability and analytical ability. Also, he could present his concepts effectively in beautiful free-hand drawings and virtual models in 3DMax. For example, in the SD phase of Zunyi Civic Center, he finished a scheme blueprint with all CAD files and a wonderful 3Dmax rendering in one and a half weeks. Many of his creative ideas came true in these two civic centers. In addition to his creative ideas, he showed me an unusual ability in arranging space and forms. Furthermore, he showed me strong cooperative spirits in these two design teams.  

In the beginning, I knew that he loved art deeply from many paintings drawn by him in Shengyang Jian Zhu University. During his study in Tsinghua University for a master degree of architecture, he told me that he was attracted by many kinds of drama and had enjoyed many performances such as the Beijing opera A City of Lust for Power, Carmen, and The Woman in Huizhou Distric. Then he decided to learn to play the violin. After playing the violin for three years, he decided to learn to create compositions in the future. Amazingly, he designed a series of hygienical insoles because of his interest in traditional Chinese medicine affected by his father a traditional Chinese pharmacist. Oh, my god! It can’t be imagined that a person has such broad knowledge of art fields and how important those knowledge is for an excellent architect.   

Have been a senior architect for four years in California, I know Harvard has the best school of design in America and I believe XXX will find the best place to continue his study in architecture. Therefore, I strongly recommend XXX to your esteemed program. I firmly believe that he will make outstanding accomplishments in his future studies. Please feel free to contact me for further information.  

Sincerely,

XXX
Chief Representative, Executive Partner
VBN Architects, Beijing Office, China
Phone: (8610) 6428XXXX  
Fax: (8610) 6426XXXX
Mobile: (86) 1390XXXXXXX
E-mail: XXXXXX@vbnchina.com

quanbinn 发表于 2008-7-28 04:23:15

回复 #2 quanbinn 的帖子

Recommendation Letter by an alumus of Harvard GSD  

January 9, 2006

Dear Graduate School Committee:

I am pleased to recommend XXX for admission to your master program in design studies. His area of interest is urbanization and housing studies. I came to know him in May 2005 when he came from Texas A&M University to VBN Architects in Oakland as an intern. As an intern in our firm this summer, he greatly assisted our SVRT (Silicon Valley Rapid Transit) project team by contributing and refining design concepts. Also, he greatly assisted my educational project. During his internship, He showed me great enthusiasm, energy, and extraordinary motivation to succeed. What’s more, his work in VBN showed great proficiency in the relevant software applications including AutoCAD, Photoshop, and 3dMax.  

In the meantime, I am convinced that he has the powerful intellect and the excellent design talent. After looking through his portfolio, I know that he has two large civic buildings to his credit in China, which are Zunyi Civic Center and Wudang Civic Center. Also, he has plenty design experiences in urban design and housing. What’s more, he has abundant art experience such as martial arts and violin.   

As an alumnus of the Harvard University Graduate School of Design, I got my master degree in design studies in June 1998. Harvard’s MDesS program was uniquely suited to help me achieve my future career goals. Therefore, I think Harvard Design School is the best place for Bin Xia to develop a stronger theoretical and analytical basis for his understanding of urbanization and housing.  

In conclusion, I strongly recommend XXX to your program. I am certain he can perform at the very top in urbanization and housing studies. I have no doubt that he will ultimately be a prominent and successful architect in China.  

Sincerely,  

XXXX, Associate AIA, MDesS
Senior Architect
VBN Architects
(510) 763-XXX
XXX@vbnarch.com

quanbinn 发表于 2008-7-28 04:24:02

回复 #3 quanbinn 的帖子

November 10, 2005

I am pleased to recommend xxxx for admission to a master’s level graduate program in urban planning. I have known him since 2001 as a result of his enrollment in my design studio in Tsinghua University. Now he is an excellent graduate student at Texas A&M University in America.  

As his mentor in Tsinghua University, I am convinced he has the excellent design skill, and extraordinary motivation to succeed. He has outstanding professional and educational credentials in China. He has large, highly competent projects to his credit in China, and wishes to enhance his understanding of design from other perspectives. His ambition is to continue to round out an international education with a better understanding of Western theory in design, architecture, and urban panning, before returning to practice in China. He has had success as a graduate student at Texas A&M and is fully conversant with research methods. His curiosity is a wonderful asset, as is his energy, enthusiasm, and quick, inquiring submissions.  

During the period of studying in Tsinghua, he and my other students had finished two urban design competitions xxxx and xxxx. In these competitions in urban design, he showed me great enthusiasm in city design.  

As a result, I strongly recommend xxxx to your honored program. I am confident that he will be an excellent student for future studies, and I firmly believe in his successful professional practice in the near future.

Sincerely,

xxxx, PhD
xxxx, Professor
Room 218, School of Architecture,  
Tsinghua University, Beijing 100084, China
Phone: (8610) 6277xxxx
E-mail:

quanbinn 发表于 2008-7-28 04:24:47

回复 #4 quanbinn 的帖子

November 15, 2005

Dear Graduate School Committee:  

It is with considerable confidence and enthusiasm that I highly recommend xxxx for your master program in urban planning.  

xxxx enrolled in my graduate level course on logic of language in fall semester 2003. In this course, he received the highest grade in the twenty students based on the quality of his writing and presentations in class. During the period of instruction, I found him a creative and attentive person. Different from my other students in class, he has a far more advanced understanding of the concepts taught and discussed. After he studied in Texas A&M since Fall 2004, he often communicate with me by phone or email about two courses on philosophy of language and mathematics logic I that he audited and I find he has the more thoroughly knowledge on logic and language.  

According to my research in the area of “logic of language”, I think every field of art, such as painting, sculpture, architecture, and urban design, should have its relevant formal system. If artists can find the formal rules and use them freely, the society will benefit them. Upon my observation, most architects and urban designers in China just have the intuition-based knowledge and they are lack of skillful knowledge of logic and philosophy. However, xxx is different from most of them and I am confident he has been fully prepared to continue his study in your graduate program because of his profound knowledge of logic, language, and philosophy. MIT has a reputation as one of the best universities in the world and I think MIT is a perfect studying place for genius students such as xxxx.  

In sum, I highly recommend xxxx as an applicant to your program without reservation.  

Sincerely,

xxxx, PhD
Professor in the Department of Philosophy,
Director of xxxx Center,
Tsinghua University, Beijing 100084, China

Council member of IASS/AIS (International Association for Semiotics Studies),
Fellow of ICI (International Communicology Institute),
Standing council member of CAL (Chinese Association of Logic),
Chairman of CALS (Chinese Association for Logical Semiotics),

Phone: (8610) 6278xxxx     Fax: (8610) 6824xxxx
Mobile: (86) 138xxxxxx   E-mail:

quanbinn 发表于 2008-7-28 04:25:24

回复 #5 quanbinn 的帖子

November 5, 2005

Dear Sir/Madam:

I gladly recommend xxxx, an outstanding architect, to you for admission to your master program in urban planning. As my former employee, he joined the Beijing Office of VBN Architects from August 2000 to August 2001. During the year he had participated in two large civic projects: xxxx and xxxx, Guiyang. I found him an exceptional architect with an excellent intellectual capability and analytical ability. Also, he could present his concepts effectively in beautiful free-hand drawings and virtual models in 3DMax. For example, in the SD phase of xxxx, he finished a scheme blueprint with all CAD files and a wonderful 3Dmax rendering in one and a half weeks. Many of his creative ideas came true in these two civic centers. In addition to his creative ideas, he showed me an unusual ability in arranging space and forms. Furthermore, he showed me strong cooperative spirits in these two design teams.  

In the beginning, I knew that he loved art deeply from many paintings drawn by him in Shengyang Jian Zhu University. During his study in Tsinghua University for a master degree of architecture, he told me that he was attracted by many kinds of drama and had enjoyed many performances such as the Beijing opera A City of Lust for Power, Carmen, and The Woman in Huizhou Distric. Then he decided to learn to play the violin. After playing the violin for three years, he decided to learn to create compositions in the future. Amazingly, he designed a series of hygienical insoles because of his interest in traditional Chinese medicine affected by his father a traditional Chinese pharmacist. Oh, my god! It can’t be imagined that a person has such broad knowledge of art fields and how important those knowledge is for an excellent architect.  

Have been a senior architect for four years in California, I know that MIT has one of the best department of urban studies and planning in America and I believe xxxx will find the best place to continue his study in urban planning. Therefore, I strongly recommend xxxx to your esteemed program. I firmly believe that he will make outstanding accomplishments in his future studies. Please feel free to contact me for further information.  

Sincerely,

xxxx
Chief Representative, Executive Partner
xxxx Architects, Beijing Office, China
Phone: (8610) 6428xxxx
Fax: (8610) 6426xxxx
Mobile: (86) 139xxxxxx
E-mail:

[ 本帖最后由 quanbinn 于 2008-7-28 08:41 编辑 ]

prince128 发表于 2008-7-28 06:49:53

非常感谢,加倍努力中!

quanbinn 发表于 2008-7-28 08:42:42

转学UPenn用过的PS, 拿到admission

STATEMENT OF PURPOSE
Name: xxxx
Applying Program: M Arch II Post-Professional Degree

What attracts me to the field of architecture is its relationship with painting, music and martial arts that I have practiced for more than ten years. They all have relevant formal systems and morphological grammar. During these art practices, I found many cultural and social factors in the design process, which reflected parallel developments of humanity and modern life. Also, I acquired deeply philosophical understanding and widened my horizon with economic, technological and ethnical factors. My interest lies in the subject of architectural expression in respect to social and urban issues. I will perform both practical and theoretical approaches in future studies.

First, my educational background granted me a firm basis for a multi-disciplinary access to architecture. When I was young, I loved many kinds of art such as painting, martial arts, and music. Also, I showed great enthusiasm and creation in practicing them. Furthermore, I have practiced violin for about four years since I joined Tsinghua Violin Associates. Throughout decades of these art experiences, I gained rich experiences in design. After getting my bachelor degree of architecture from Shenyang xxxx University in July 2000, I took rigorous exams and was selected by School of Architecture in Tsinghua University in September 2001, which has the best school of architecture in China. After studying in Tsinghua for three years, I got the most comprehensive and rigorous academic training in architectural design and theories in China.

Second, my professional experiences provided me with a comprehensive view of my future goals. I have worked on a wide range of large projects through more than two years with design architectural firms in both China and America. From August 2000 to August 2001, I joined the Beijing office of xxxx Architects and participated in two design teams for xxxx and xxxx in Guizhou Province, China. As a major designer, I worked closed with clients, consultants and manufacturers to produce set packages for SD, DD and CD phases. Therefore, I developed my technical skills such as design development and documentation, implementation of design concepts for specific assignment objectives and alternative solutions for detailed design issues, and client communication and consultant coordination for projects in China. In the summer of 2005, I worked as an intern in xxxx Architects, Oakland, and participated in the design of xxxx Station in Silicon Valley Rapid Transit.

In April 2004 I get a rarely full fellowship from department of architecture in Texas A&M University (TAMU) and then began to study in its graduate program since August 2004. However, after one year’s study here, I find healthcare architecture is its major architectural education and I cannot expand my theoretical and analytical skills in design.

PennDesign, with its exceptional strong academic strengths in design, will provide the best learning opportunity for architects to learn from design. If I am admitted, I will get the best place to develop a stronger theoretical and analytical basis for my understanding of architectural design.  

My ultimate goal of profession is to own my firm: xxxx Architects in the near future. After getting my master degree in PennDesign, I will work in outstanding architectural firms in America for about two years and then go back to China to set up my own firm. During my professional practice in the future, I will seek alternative solutions in design to suit modern China.

quanbinn 发表于 2008-7-28 08:43:34

转学MIT City Planning 用过的PS, 拿到admission

STATEMENT OF OBJECTIVE
Applying Program: Master in City Planning
I would like to enter the following area of study: City Design and Development (CDD).

What attracts me to the field of architecture and urban planning is its relationship with painting, music and martial arts that I have practiced for more than ten years. They all have relevant formal systems and morphological grammar. During these art practices, I found many cultural and social factors in the design process, which reflected parallel developments of humanity and modern life. Also, I acquired deeply philosophical understanding and widened my horizon with economic, technological and ethnical factors. My interest lies in the subject of city design and development in respect to social and urban issues. I will perform both practical and theoretical approaches in future studies.  

First, my educational background granted me a firm basis for a multi-disciplinary access to architecture and urban planning. When I was young, I loved many kinds of art such as painting, martial arts, and music. Also, I showed great enthusiasm and creation in practicing them. Furthermore, I have practiced violin for about four years since I joined Tsinghua Violin Associates. Throughout decades of these art experiences, I gained rich experiences in design. After getting my bachelor degree of architecture from Shenyang xxxx University in July 2000, I took rigorous exams and was selected by School of Architecture in Tsinghua University in September 2001, which has the best school of architecture in China. After studying in Tsinghua for three years, I got the most comprehensive and rigorous academic training in architectural design and theories in China.

Second, my professional experiences provided me with a comprehensive view of my future goals. I have worked on a wide range of large projects through more than two years with design architectural firms in both China and America. From August 2000 to August 2001, I joined the Beijing office of xxx Architects and participated in two design teams for xxxx and xxxx in Guizhou Province, China. As a major designer, I worked closed with clients, consultants and manufacturers to produce set packages for SD, DD and CD phases. Therefore, I developed my technical skills such as design development and documentation, implementation of design concepts for specific assignment objectives and alternative solutions for detailed design issues, and client communication and consultant coordination for projects in China. In the summer of 2005, I worked as an intern in xxxx Architects, Oakland, and participated in the design of xxxx Station in Silicon Valley Rapid Transit.  

My interest in the relationship between architecture and urban planning in 2001 commenced when I joined the practice of urban designs in Tsinghua. During the instruction of my mentor Prof. xxxx, I participated in two competitions in urban design, which were xxxx Urban Design and xxxx Urban Design (Third-prize). From the above competitions, I strengthened my social and urban awareness. As a result, I decide to devote to both practical and theoretical approaches in city design and development.  

My involvement with M.I.T. began in the fall of 2003 in Tsinghua, where I entered a series of lectures about urbanism delivered by many distinguished professors from M.I.T. such as Prof. xxxx. Their lectures and projects presented greatly impressed me. It was through this wonderful experience that I decided to continue my study in urban planning in your honored program.  

My ultimate goal of profession is to be a city designer in the near future. After getting my master degree, I will go back to China to begin my professional career. During my professional practice in the future, I will integrate social motives into the urban texture and seek alternative solutions to suit modern China.

quanbinn 发表于 2008-7-28 08:44:09

转学Columbia Urban Design 用过的PS, 拿到admission

Columbia University
GRADUATE SCHOOL OF ARCHITECTURE, PLANNING AND PRESERVATION
PERSONAL STATEMENT
Applying Program: Master of Science Degree in Architecture and Urban Design
Date of Birth: xxxxx

In the five years since I received my bachelor degree in architecture, the question of how to provide better urban design has increasingly consumed my practice as an architect, and I have come to focus on urban design.  

First, I have worked on a wide range of large projects in architectural firms of both China and America. In August 2000 I began my professional career at the Beijing office of xxxx Architects in China. In one year’s professional practice, I participated in two design teams for xxxx and xxxx in Guizhou Province, China. As a major designer, I worked closed with clients, consultants and manufacturers to produce set packages for SD, DD and CD phases. In the summer of 2005, I worked as an intern in xxxx, Oakland, and participated in the design of xxxx Station in Silicon Valley Rapid Transit.

Second, My interest in the relationship of architecture and urban design commenced in 2001 when I joined the practice of urban design in Tsinghua. During the instruction of my mentor Prof. xxxx, I participated in two competitions in urban design, which xxxx Urban Design and xxxx Urban Design (Third-prize). From the above competitions, I strengthened my social and urban awareness. As a result, I decide to devote to both practical and theoretical approaches in architecture and urban design.  

Third, my educational background has granted me a firm basis for a multi-disciplinary access to architecture and urban design. When I was young, I loved many kinds of art such as painting, martial arts, and music. Also, I showed great enthusiasm and creation in practicing them. Furthermore, I have practiced violin for about four years since I joined Tsinghua Violin Associates. Throughout decades of these art experiences, I gained rich experiences in design. After getting my bachelor degree of architecture from Shenyang xxxx University in July 2000, I took rigorous exams and was selected by School of Architecture in Tsinghua University in September 2001, which has the best school of architecture in China. In April 2004 I get a rarely full fellowship from department of architecture in Texas A&M University (TAMU) and then began to study in its graduate program since August 2004. However, after one year’s study in TAMU, I find healthcare architecture is its major architectural education and I cannot expand my theoretical and analytical skills of architecture in urban design.

Columbia University, with its exceptional strong academic strengths in urban design, will provide the best learning opportunity for architects to learn from urban design. By entering this program, I hope to expand my knowledge of physical and socio-economic issues in urban design.  

My ultimate goal of profession is to own my firm: xxxx Architects in the near future. After getting my master degree in Columbia University, I will work in outstanding architectural firms in America for about two years and then go back to China to set up my own firm. During my professional practice in the future, I will seek alternative solutions in urban design to suit modern China.

quanbinn 发表于 2008-7-28 08:45:07

Statement of Purpose (申请哈佛用的)

STATEMENT OF PURPOSE
Name:  xx
Applying Program: Master in Design Studies (Urbanization and Housing)

In the five years since I received my bachelor degree in architecture, the question of how to provide better housing in urbanization has increasingly consumed my practice as an architect, and I have come to focus on the design of housing in urbanization

First, I have worked on a wide range of large projects in architectural firms in both China and America. In August 2000 I began my professional career at the Beijing office of XXX Architects in China. In one year’s professional practice, I participated in two design teams for Zunyi Civic Center and Wudang Civic Center in Guizhou Province, China. As a major designer, I worked closed with clients, consultants and manufacturers to produce set packages for SD, DD and CD phases. In the summer of 2005, I worked as an intern in XXX, Oakland, and participated in the design of Santa Clara Station in Silicon Valley Rapid Transit.

Second, my interest in housing and urbanization appeared in 2001 when I studied in Tsinghua University. In the U.I.A. Region IV Competition, I chose the topic: Green House of the Countryside of China. To increase the land occupied by farmers’ houses, I put forward a concept about the green house built on stilts in the countryside. During the instruction of my mentor Prof. XXX, I participated one project and one invited competition about housing, which were Chizhou Nanhu Xingyuan Residential Community Planning & Design and Biguiyuan Residential Community Planning & Design. Meanwhile, in the instruction of Prof. XXX, I participated in two competitions in urban design, which were the Commercial District near Beijing New Airport Terminal Urban Design and Jiaozhou Commercial District in Old City Zone Urban Design (Third-prize). From the above project and competitions in housing and urbanization, I strengthened my social and urban awareness. As a result, I decide to devote to both practical and theoretical approaches in urbanization and housing. I am personally invested in developing chances to direct my creativity toward answering society’s need for housing in urbanization. Also, I try to make housing be intelligent, environmentally sustainable, and economically viable in urbanization.

Third, my educational background has granted me a firm basis for a multi-disciplinary access to architecture. When I was young, I loved many kinds of art such as painting, martial arts, and music. Also, I showed great enthusiasm and creation in practicing them. Furthermore, I have practiced violin for about four years since I joined Tsinghua Violin Associates. Throughout decades of these art experiences, I gained rich experiences in design. After getting my bachelor degree of architecture from Shenyang Jian Zhu University in July 2000, I took rigorous exams and was selected by School of Architecture in Tsinghua University in September 2001, which has the best school of architecture in China. In April 2004 I get a rarely full fellowship from department of architecture in Texas A&M University (TAMU) and then began to study in its graduate program since August 2004. However, after one year’s study in TAMU, I find healthcare architecture is its major architectural education and I cannot expand my theoretical and analytical skills in urbanization and housing.

Harvard, with its exceptional strong academic strengths in urbanization and housing studies, will provide the best learning opportunity for architects to learn from urbanization and housing. By entering the Urbanization and Housing Studies area of Graduate School of Design’s Master of Design Studies, I hope to expand my knowledge of physical and socio-economic issues in urbanization and housing. In the one and half years, for example, I can investigate how public policy, public-private partnerships, and real estate finance can affect positive changes in urbanization and housing.

quanbinn 发表于 2008-7-28 08:46:45

我在申请硕士时和老师联系时发的email。

我在申请硕士时和老师联系时发的email。  

UC-Berkeley  

Dear Prof. xxx,

I am one applicant: xxx, and have successfully submitted my application materials last month for M. Arch (Option 1). My area of interest is housing studies.  

After looking through your Web, I am very interested in your research about the fabric of dwelling. If I am admitted by your M. Arch. Program, I would like to choose you as my graduate committee chair.  

The copies of my application materials including my portfolio, statement of purpose, curriculum vitae, and publication for my application are in this mail. I hope you can see them seriously.

Thank you for your time and consideration.  

Sincerely,
xxx
Department of Architecture
Texas A&M University
979-739-xxxx(Cell)
Email: xxxx

Bin Xia发表于2008-07-13 04:27:10  

Re: 我在申请硕士时和老师联系时发的email。  

UC-Berkeley

Dear Prof. xxx,

I am one applicant: xxx, and have successfully submitted my application materials last month for M. Arch (Option 1). My area of interest is housing studies.  

After looking through your Web, I am very interested in your research about the fabric of dwelling. If I am admitted by your M. Arch. Program, I would like to choose you as my graduate committee chair.  

Last month I mailed some copies of my application materials including my portfolio, statement of purpose, curriculum vitae, and publication to you. Have you received them? What do you think of my application if you have reviewed them?

If you think I am an excellent applicant and want to have an interview with me, please let me know and I can go to Berkeley for it in any appropriate time because I am studying in the graduate program of architecture at Texas A&M University now.

Thank you for your time and careful consideration.  

Sincerely,
xxx
Texas A&M University
979-739-xxxx(Cell)

Bin Xia发表于2008-07-13 04:27:46  

Harvard Graduate School of Design

Dear Prof. xxx,

I am one applicant: xxx, and have successfully submitted my application materials last month for M. Arch. II.  

The copies of my application materials including my portfolio, statement of purpose, curriculum vitae, and publication for my application are in this mail. I hope you can see them seriously.

Sincerely,
xxx
Texas A&M University
979-739-xxxx(Cell)
Email: xxx

Bin Xia发表于2008-07-13 04:28:15  

Dear Prof. xxx,

I am one applicant: xxxx, and have completely submitted my application materials for M. Arch. II.  

Last month I mailed some copies of my application materials including my portfolio, statement of purpose, curriculum vitae, and publication to you. Have you received them? What do you think of my application if you have reviewed them?

If you think I am an excellent applicant and want to have an interview with me, please let me know and I can go to Harvard for it in any appropriate time because I am studying in the graduate program of architecture at Texas A&M University now.

Sincerely,
xxxx
Texas A&M University
979-739-xxxx(Cell)

Bin Xia发表于2008-07-13 04:28:38  

Dear Prof. xxx,

I am one applicant: xxx, and have successfully submitted my application materials last month for Master of Architecture in Urban Design.  

Sincerely,
xxxx
Texas A&M University
979-739-xxx(Cell)
Email:  

Bin Xia发表于2008-07-13 04:29:06

Dear Prof. xxxx,

I am one applicant: xxxx, and have successfully submitted my application materials last month for Master of Architecture in Urban Design.  

If you think I am an excellent applicant and want to have an interview with me, please let me know and I can go to Harvard for it in any appropriate time because I am studying in the graduate program of architecture at Texas A&M University now.

Sincerely,
xxxx
Texas A&M University
979-739-xxxx(Cell)

Bin Xia发表于2008-07-13 04:29:34  

Dear Prof. xxxx,

I am one applicant: xxxx, and have successfully submitted my application materials last month for Master of design studies (MDesS). My area of interest is urbanization and housing studies.  

After looking through your Web, I am very interested in your projects and research. If I am admitted by your MDesS. Program, I would like to choose you as my graduate committee chair.  

Sincerely,
xxxx
Texas A&M University
979-739-xxxx(Cell)

Bin Xia发表于2008-07-13 04:29:57  

Dear Prof. xxxx,

I am one applicant: xxxx, and my applying program is Master of design studies (MDesS). My area of interest is urbanization and housing studies and I hope to be considered for advanced placement.  

After looking through your Web, I am very interested in your projects and research. If I am admitted to your program, I would like to choose you as my graduate committee chair.  

Sincerely,
xxxx
Texas A&M University
979-739-xxxx(Cell)

quanbinn 发表于 2008-7-28 08:48:20

我申请建筑时用的辅助材料

Applying program: MDesS
Date of Birth: xxxx

Publication

Xia, B. (2004). The administrative and conference center of Zunyi City in Guizhou Province, Architectural Journal, 6, 30-36.

Abstract: During design and construction of this building, the designers deliberate the shape, materials and details, thus creating a tasteful building blending into surroundings. The author gives an account of the experiences of the design method and the design team.

Keywords: Deliberation, blending into the surroundings, good taste, some features, the Center of Administration and Conference in Zunyi City

Email:  

Research Paper

1. The Analysis of the Restroom Wayfinding in Zachary Engineering Building

Abstract: This research analyzes the restroom wayfinding in Zachary Engineering Building (Texas A&M) to explore the relationship between the restroom wayfinding behavior and spatial factors, also explore the possibility that people use the You-Are-Here (YAH) map regarding the location of the map. In the survey in twelve A&M students from China, the researcher finds the spatial factors in a building without signage system played important roles in helping to find the restroom.

Keywords: Restroom wayfinding; behavior; spatial factors; YAH map.

2. DRIVING STRESS: Does the Physical Environment and Background Sounds Matter?
Mini Project on Restorative Qualities of an Environment

Abstract: This research explores the impacts of environmental factors (i.e. nature and urban) and background sounds (i.e. traffic and music) on the level of the driving stress. From this study, I found that scenes with high content of nature had stronger effects on reducing driving stress than scenes with fewer or without natural elements. On the other hand, noise was found to have significant negative effects on the reduction of driving stress. These findings are consistent with findings of former studies conducted by other researchers. Moreover, no significant difference was found between driving with music and driving without background sound in term of reducing driving stress.

Keywords: Environmental factors; reducing driving stress; nature and urban.  

Email:

[ 本帖最后由 quanbinn 于 2008-7-28 08:54 编辑 ]

quanbinn 发表于 2008-7-28 08:50:11

我的清华考研,哈佛留学经历

希望能给一些人以帮助。(我将会一直写下去,分析其中的各个方面,每一处细节, 如何处理遇到的压力等。一些有用的资料如推荐信,PS,如何与教授联系,即建筑学等专业的作品集等这些内容都会放进www.uusbbs.com         

我的校内网名字:夏彬
http://xiaonei.com/getuser.do?id=242364580

背景:  沈阳建工学院建筑学学士1995-2000
            清华大学建筑学硕士 2001-2004
            美国Texas A&M University建筑学博士研究生 2004-2006
            美国Harvard University 设计学硕士(一年)2007
            现在美国工作。(曾工作于Frank Gehry Partners-弗兰克-盖里建筑师事务所)

我考了两次研,第一次考同济没考上,小分都够了,总分差了10多分,当时心里打击很大,在沈阳建工学院老校区(西院)的河边的一天晚上大哭了一场,在拿到考研分后,去同济看看有没有读研的机会,感觉像条狗似的走进同济的新校门。然后毕业工作了,决定继续考研。觉得靠同济应该没什么太大问题。碰巧,建院一个学生考上了清华,我一对比,我应该比他还强一些,我也应该能考上清华,结果我就接着决定靠清华了。明天接着写。

因为各种专业课的底子还可以,就决定先在北京VBN建筑设计公司工作两个月,主要是同时加强建筑快速设计的能力,碰巧有两个比较好的设计项目,较好的提高了我的设计能力。10月份以后就在清华北门租了一间房子开始考研了。听清华老师的一些专业课,看一看清华往年的考题。同时得到庄Sir在快速设计上的一些指点。然后就是准备各科的内容,快速设计。就这样,1月份参加了考试。1月前自己做了一次三天的考试模拟,头特别疼。有一次快速考试自己做了10个小时,真是痛苦不堪。还好考试的成绩不错,结果顺利考上了设计专业的研究生。

考上清华后,就一直准备出国(我考清华的目的就是能顺利出国).研一的暑假考了GRE(机考,靠机经考了2200多分),但是后来的TOEFL靠的极差557分,因为我的英语基础不是很好。而且要为导师干活,加上毕业论文的压力,只有硬着头皮申请,一般好的学校都要toefl 600分以上,而且硕士大都没有奖学金(后来知道Harvard 可以申请贷款),所以决定申请博士,最后拿到了Texas A & M University的全额奖学金(钱很少,而且要交州内学费)。因为申请出国的原因,和导师的关系不是很好,又因为做研究型设计毕业的缘故,在答辩会上和答辩老师顶了一下,差点没过,还好导师帮忙,最后得了全系最低分,觉得心里很不爽。加上又拿到了美国的OFFER, 最后我没有拍清华的毕业照,参加了毕业典礼,但没有和校长拍合照。

清华毕业后,2004 年8月份来到了Texas,一开始觉得很新鲜,进行博士研究的训练。同来的北大一哥们开始准备转学,第一年的下学期拿到了MIT的admission, 但是很快找到了funding, 这给我影响很大,同时国内清华的学生拿到了Harvard的admission. 我就是想申请Harvard的博士研究生。一件很重要的事发生在第一年的暑假,我没有听美国女导师的要求选博士研究的导师,结果被系里的advisor劝说转硕士。一时间,我也不知怎么办,又不敢跟家里说。于是我集中看了我们学院的我这个研究方向的毕业论文,就发现博士论文不过是个当老师的跳板,我想要的研究是不可能按我的意思做的。于是就决定博士继续读一年,同时申请别的学校。TOEFL重考了一次600分,对申请不造成障碍了。  

然后顺利申请到了Harvard 的MDesS, MIT 的Master in City Planing, Columbia, UPenn, 只有Washington Univ. 拿到了2万多的奖学金。其他都没钱。但实际上,Harvard 的设计学院是有可能拿到奖学金的(针对中国的东亚奖学金,但受一个朋友的信息误导,没有申请) 。然后特意跑了一趟哈佛,把一年半的搞成一年毕业。就这样花了大约45,000美元(学费30,000多一些,生活费10,000)拿到了一个哈佛的学位。我从花旗银行贷款35,000美元,信用卡透支10,000美元。  

就这样2007年六月份毕业后在洛杉矶工作了,然后换了一家公司,因为工程不多,被解雇,换了一家公司,搬到了硅谷旁边。但我厌烦了设计行业,现在准备离开,换个行业,估计今年底回北京,和几个朋友共同创业(互联网)。

下面我会针对一些主题继续写下去。
例如:美国转学中的注意事项,英语的重要性,私立学校的学费问题,美国一些行业的工资问题,等等我所知道的,对想到美国读书的人有用的信息。

[ 本帖最后由 quanbinn 于 2008-9-22 03:02 编辑 ]

quanbinn 发表于 2008-7-28 08:51:26

回复 #14 quanbinn 的帖子

说一说Texas A&M University我身边的人的转学情况  

下一阶段我将试图把我身边在美国的各个行业的中国朋友加入到我的这个想法中来,争取把美国留学中所有的问题尽量解决. 分享给所有需要的人。关于建筑相关行业,我可以可以找到所有的人。  

说一说Texas A&M University我身边的人的转学情况,换专业情况(这些人都是来读博士的)。

我们同坐飞机来AM的四个人中,三个人转走。我们一起住在同一个Apartment的6个人中,五个人转走. 第一年,学规划的北大的一哥们转去了MIT规划学院的博士,先拿到了admission, 然后去学校找到了funding. 物理系科大的一个人转去了Harvard继续读物理的博士。同时还有一个科大的博士研究生拿了一个master后转学去了和AM差不多的一个学校读经济金融方面的博士。

第二年,我转去了哈佛设计学院读硕士,放弃了AM的博士攻读。舍友哈建大的一哥们转去了UIUC读土木工程的博士。但其实他也拿到了MIT土木的admission, 但没有funding, 只好放弃。工业工程的清华来的一哥们拿了一个硕士,转学Columbia一年拿到了financial engineering 的Master (同时他拿到了Harvard的统计学的两年硕士) 。一个从香港大学转来的老乡转学去了washington university in Seattle继续读博士,学城市规划的,武汉大学背景。  

第三年,北大物理系的一哥们(前室友)拿到了一个硕士学位,转去了约翰霍普金斯继续读博士,但换了一点方向。同时,一个地理系的博士转去了另一个不是特别出名的学校读会计的master,原因比较复杂。
btw, 同时这边还有从别的学校转到AM的。(同时F2有的从历史转到经济,从地理转到accounting, 从环境工程转到statistics)

现在我分析这种现象的原因可能主要是因为texas am的州内学费政策,另外也可能是我们建筑与规划funding不充足的原因,还有可能是因为am的学校排名位置有关,总之,转学换专业在美国是一个很普通的事情。

下面我将会写一些关于推荐信,PS,GRE,TOEFL等的分析
页: [1] 2
查看完整版本: 我用过的申请材料