liyue24 发表于 2009-1-9 21:30:01

从Friends里学红宝单词的使用

本帖最后由 liyue24 于 2009-8-31 15:16 编辑

想做这个帖有好长时间了,但是一直在踌躇迟迟不下手:

1)不知道放在哪里合适。考虑放在G综合还是G作文呢?或是英语学习与娱乐版?不过最后决定还是放在作文版好了。毕竟开始混综合版的恐怕咪有闲情逸致这样背单词了,而且这里不是写friends的笔记,还是以红宝词汇或是“复杂”词汇为主。也希望通过这些总结,能让准备AW的同学真的能用上一些fancy的词汇,提高自己写作水平,同时也给后面背单词铺路,不至于到时太过狼狈。
2)工作量太大……呵呵。不过踌躇再久也不会能完成,还不如做一点是一点。自己平时看过也许就忘了,整理下来也能记住,对自己也是提高。共享给大家,也希望能给大伙儿有帮助。

很多开始准备AW的人都会有这些问题:准备AW时候是不是需要背单词呢?背的红宝单词要不要用到作文里呢?那么多“偏怪”单词怎么用呢?这个帖就是来帮助大家记住一些“常用”的红宝单词,并且能准确的使用它们。
《Friends》现在几乎要成为大家学习英语的非官方专业教科书了。相较于其他美剧,《Friends》的剧本最接近日常生活,而且这个剧本是精雕细琢,不能说字字值得推敲吧,但也是值得我们细细品位的。而在这其中就不乏很多我们觉得偏怪的红宝单词,可是看人家日常口语中就会用到,而且又恰到好处,确是学习的好素材。这个帖就是帮大家总结一下其中出现的一些单词,并配有解释说明,大家看剧记笑话,单词以及单词的使用语境也就水到渠成了。

AW中我们总是会觉得自己使用的词汇贫乏,想用新词或高级词汇,又不知道该如何用。语言是表达意思的一种途径,很多词有很是相近的意思,但其间细微的差别往往能让体现出使用者的语言功底。英语毕竟不是我们的母语,我们没有十几年的耳濡目染,但是现今的考试无不例外都强调对用词准确性的高要求。从中文意思查字典,从众多相似词义的词中“随便”选一个放在自己句子里,这样的操作是很难保证用词精确的,于是地道表达也无从谈起。回想一下我们平时日常生活中怎样学一个新的中文词呢?比如,某人做了一件事,大家评价说他真的很“雷”人~于是下次见到别人也做类似的事或是给大家类似的感觉,我们也就可以评价这个人很“雷”或是这件事“很雷人”了~我们并不是去查字典,而是从语境中学会用词的。在平时没有地道英语环境中,就只能靠自己一点一点的积累来慢慢提高自己水平了。其实这种积累也是扩充自己写作词汇量的一个途径。可能不是很快很有效,但是有胜于无嘛。

由于笔记会有无法预想的多,所以我这里先大概介绍一下规则以方便大家阅读。我会用引用来引用原文剧本,其中关键词做记号,帖子正文写自己的笔记。后续内容我会跟帖依次回复,并且把相关内容整理到主帖的word文档里面以方便大家下载。有愿意参与的同学也欢迎跟帖发自己的笔记来。只是,为了保证内容的连贯性,我不反对大家水贴,但是我会每次发新的内容时候清理前面的帖子,大家可以在后面继续水~呵呵~

此外,笔记内容也有可能不会局限在仅在红宝单词,或是有些单词我咪有注意到。所以也欢迎大家补充。

《Friends》一共10个season,每个season是24或是25集。开始我可能不会按照顺序来做笔记而是随机性选择,但是word档我会按照先后顺序排列起来以方便大家查阅。

后续会有内容再补充~谢谢大家支持~

[ 本帖最后由 liyue24 于 2009-1-18 23:36 编辑 ]

liyue24 发表于 2009-1-9 21:35:10

5x14 - TOW Everyone Finds Out

第一期是我最熟悉的5x14 - TOW Everyone Finds Out。评价10season最搞笑的top10我觉得这个episode可以当选了~

这一episode的简单情节是:
丑陋裸男将搬走,罗斯想租他的公寓。求租的竞争相当激烈,罗斯用小恩小惠贿赂裸男,胜算不大;于是他改变方针,和裸男找共同语言以培养感情——结果裸男有了个裸体朋友。菲比和瑞秋一起陪罗斯去新公寓参观时,无意撞见对窗的钱德和莫妮卡正在“嘿咻”。菲比和瑞秋决心捉弄莫妮卡和钱德——结果菲比色诱钱德,两人大飚演技。莫妮卡意识到对手已经洞悉了他们的地下情,所以要钱德决不松口,和她们玩到底,还坚信己方必胜。只有罗斯还被蒙在鼓里……罗斯在新公寓看到对窗的热辣场面,再度失控。

Phoebe: (looking out the window) Oh hey, you guys, look! Ugly Naked Guy is putting stuff in boxes!
(They all run and join her at the window.)
Rachel: I'd say from the looks of it; our naked buddy is moving.
Ross: Ironically, most of the boxes seem to be labeled clothes.
Rachel: Ohh, I'm gonna miss that big old squishy butt.

Ironically,一个裸男搬家时候却整出来好多箱衣服,这个确是和他平时风格不符(虽说裸男不等于就没有衣服吧~^^),所以ironically表达出一种矛盾的意思,也是我们所谓“反讽”。用ironically或是ironical的时候一定要注意这种矛盾的意思;

Label是打标签,搬家时候很多箱子,上门写上字也可以叫label。不见得一定要有粘帖的标签纸,只要有标识的意思,很多时候既可以用label了;

Squishy这个大家自己体会吧。一个大胖子的butt是啥感觉的,以后就这么形容就好了。^^

Ross: (entering) What's going on?
Phoebe and Rachel: Ohhh!!!
Rachel: (trying to divert his attention from the window by jumping up and down) HI!! Hi!
Ross: What?! What?!
Rachel: Nothing! Oh God, we're just so excited that you want to get this apartment!

Divert someone’s attention转移某人的注意力。divert有一种转向的意思,注意力,视线等的转移都可以用divert;

Monica: You are so cute! How did you get to be so cute?
Chandler: Well, my Grandfather was Swedish and my Grandmother was actually a tiny little bunny.
Monica: Okay, now you're even cuter!!
Chandler: Y'know that is a popular opinion today I must say.

记住这个表达方法~

Ross: (entering) Hey!
Rachel: Hey Ross! Any word on the apartment yet?
Ross: Well, I called over there and it turns out Ugly Naked Guy is subletting it himself and he's already had like a hundred applicants.
Rachel: Oh.
Ross: No-no, I got the edge. I know it's not exactly ethical but I sent him a little bribe to tip the scales in my direction. Check it out, you can probably see it from the window. (They all head to the window.)

Sublet转租公寓;

got the edge占先了,有优势了。写作文写推荐信之类的时候,说自己某某方面有特色,不妨用这个;

to tip the scales in my direction让天平倾向我这一边,也就是说自己占得先机。Scales这个词不是很容易用,表达的意思也很多,这里我们不妨先记住这个;

Chandler: Are you serious?
Monica: Phoebe knows and she's just trying to freak us out! That's the only explanation for it!
Chandler: (a little hurt) Okay but what about y'know my pinchable butt and my bulging biceps—She knows!

pinchable butt和刚才那个squishy butt可以对比了~此外,bulging biceps,二头肌发达;

Monica: Unless…
Joey: No! Not unless! Look this must end now!
Monica: Oh man, they think they are so slick messing with us! But see they don't know that we know that they know! So…
Chandler: Ahh yes, the messers become the messies!

Slick,滑头,狡猾的。这个词还有超多意思,就不都说了。只是记得这里,像rach和pheebs这种耍小聪明整别人的,可以叫slick;

Chandler: Hello Phoebe, I've been thinking about you all day. (He's holding the phone so that Monica can hear it as well.)
Phoebe: Eh?
Chandler: Well you know that thing you said before, I'd be lying if I said I wasn't intrigued.

Intrigued被吸引被引诱的。但是这个词有一种被坏的东西引诱的意思,记得有一集jo和chan玩一个fireball的,chan就说自己也是be intrigued,所以,使用这个词的时候记得要有一定违法或是做坏事的意思在里面。^^

Ross: Good evening, sir. My name is Ross Geller. I'm one of the people who applied for the apartment. And I-I realize that the competition is fierce but—I'm sorry. I, I can't help but notice you're naked and (He claps his hands.) I applaud you. Man, I wish I was naked. I mean, this-this looks so great. That is how God intended it.

the competition is fierce竞争激烈。这个表达牢记好了。

Phoebe: You should be. I'm very bendy. (Pause) I'm gonna kiss you now.
Chandler: Not if I kiss you first.

常用flirt表达,牢记~^^

liyue24 发表于 2009-1-9 23:24:38

5x11 - TOW All The Resolutions

这一episode由于有rach的一句超级经典台词而排名第二。

简单情节如下:
新年钟声敲响的时候,如何让钱德吻莫妮卡而不显突兀呢?乔伊献计让罗斯亲菲比、瑞秋亲自己,那样就顺理成章了。每个人都立下新年宏愿:
罗斯想每天都做新的尝试;
钱德要停止拿朋友开玩笑……至少坚持一星期;
瑞秋说想戒掉爱絮絮叨叨的毛病;
乔伊立志学吉他;
莫妮卡想给大家多照点合影;
菲比最特别,想驾驶商业喷气机。
罗斯和新女友依丽莎白约会,但他穿的皮裤太紧,他跑到洗手间脱下皮裤纳凉,结果再也穿不上了。罗斯打电话向乔伊紧急求援,乔伊出主意让他用香粉或者润滑油试试,结果事情变本加厉的糟糕。为学吉他,乔伊拜菲比为师,可菲比其实对和弦名称一无所知。瑞秋猜破了莫妮卡和钱德的哑谜,迫不及待想公诸于众;她选择了乔伊当听众,对保守秘密毫无兴趣的乔伊表示,我不想听。钱德忍不住拿朋友打趣。

Joey: All right! Here we go! 1999! The year of Joey!
Chandler: (deadpan, standing next to Monica) We're very happy for you.
Joey: What's the matter?!
Chandler: We wanted to kiss at midnight, but nobody else is going to so y'know…

Deadpan想知道啥样表情叫deadpan?看看chandler就知道了。一种言不由衷而且似乎有点怨气的样子~

Ross: Y'know what? I'm gonna go out on a limb and say no divorces in '99!
Rachel: But your divorce isn't even final yet.
Ross: Just the one divorce in '99! Y'know what, I am gonna be happy this year. I am gonna make myself happy.
Chandler: Do you want us to leave the room, or?
Ross: Everyday I am gonna do one thing that I haven't done before. That my friends is my New Year's resolution.
Phoebe: Ooh! That's a good one! Mine is to pilot a commercial jet.
Chandler: That's good one too, Pheebs. Now all you have to do is find a planeload of people who's resolution is to plummet to their deaths.
Phoebe: Maybe your resolution is to not make fun of your friends, especially the ones who may soon be flying you to Europe for free on their own plane.
Monica: She has a better chance of sprouting wings and flying up your nose than you do of not making fun of us.

(out) on a limb 我查05版金山的解释是【非正式用语】In a difficult, awkward, or vulnerable position.处于困境:处于危险、尴尬或易受攻击的境地。515里面紧接514,ross发现了chandler和monica的事,从自家冲到mon那,chandler落荒而逃的时候也用到了这个用法。

New Year's resolution新年志愿。

pilot驾驶飞机。

Plummet这里是俯冲的意思。不会开飞机的人操纵飞机,在chan想起来就会直接从上门栽下来,叫plummet。此外这个词还有铅锤灯其他意思,但是不论怎样都有“垂直”,“迅速”的感觉在里面。

Phoebe: Okay, lesson one: chords. Now, I don't know the actual names of the chords but umm, I-I-I made up names for the way my hand looks while I'm doing them. (She starts to show Joey the chords.) (Holding up her hand and then reconfiguring her hand with each name.) So then, this is Bear Claw. Okay, umm, Turkey Leg and Old Lady. (Joey tries to imitate them.)
Chandler: What an interesting approach to guitar instruction. Y'know some might find it amusing, I myself find it regular.

Chords和旋。Chord还有其他意思,但是很多时候都是复数用的。和音乐相关。

Imitate模仿。有说小鸭子模仿鸭子妈妈的,就是这个词。

Approach方式方法,amuse好笑的。这两个值得提的是,他们都相当的书面或是不是很日常。Chandler故意装出一本正经的样子——要是平时他早就开始开玩笑了——所以用词上也很正经。所以可以理解,approach是way的一个fancy表达,amuse是funny的一个fancy 表达。

Joey: Hey, Pheebs! Check-check this out. (Holds up his hand in one of Phoebe's chords.)
Phoebe: Ooh, you nailed the Old Lady! (They both laugh at what she said.)

Nail钉牢,这里是说学会了,记住了。活用nail的意思了。写推荐信或是什么时候说很快就能掌握技能,不妨用这个。^^

Ross: (entering, with Ben) Hi!
Ben: Hi!
Monica: Hi Ben!
Ben: Auntie Monica!! (He runs to hug her.)
Chandler: (notices something) Ross is wearing leather pants! Does nobody else see that Ross is wearing leather pants? (Pause, no one speaks.) Someone comment on the pants!

Comment on sth对xxx发表评论。

Ross: Thanks. (Gets up and as he does so, the sound returns. Without another word he heads into her bathroom.)
frantically pulls his shirt out and drops his pants. He exhales in sheer ecstasy as the coolness of the bathroom envelops his legs. He sits on the cast iron bathtub, again gasping in pleasure. He next grabs a magazine and starts to blow air on his exposed legs, but that doesn't work the way he wants it to. So he throws the magazine down, looks around for another idea, and finds one. He jumps up and hops to the sink. He turns on the water and starts to splash some on his legs, cooling them further.]
Ross: (in ecstasy) Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh……….

Frantically一种疯狂的样子。想ross热的不行,拼命把衣服扯出来的动作,有点歇斯底里,不是很normal;

Ecstasy喜悦的意思。这个词比happy或是pleasure或是satisfy也都更有crazy的意思,一种情绪失控在里面。想ross这种极度满足的样子就可以叫ecstasy;

多罗嗦两句:这个时候的ross正是经历两次divorce而且无家可归在工作上也很失意(他对他老板发脾气结果被人家劝退在家休息一段时间),所以凡事做的时候都很神经质。体会这种abnormal的状态下才会用这些表现出crazy的词来形容他。

Phoebe: Yeah, well, y'know maybe you just need to try a little harder!
Joey: (looking in the Yellow Pages) Look, maybe I need to try a real teacher! Right here! Here! Andy Cooper, he teaches guitar and look ooh, there's a nice picture of him with a little kid and THE KID'S GOT A GUITAR!!!!!! (Storms out.)
Phoebe: Fine! You go learn from your qualified instructor! But don't come crying to me when everyone's sick and tired of hearing you play Bad, Bad Leroy Brown!!

Storms out从屋里冲出去。经常出现,可以记一下;

Qualified合格的,有资格的。

Monica: (on phone) I can't wait to be with you! I'll sneak over as soon as Ross picks up Ben. I'll just tell Rachel I'm gonna be doing laundry for a couple of hours.
Chandler: (on phone) Laundry. Huh. Is that my new nickname? (Rachel is absolutely stunned, she opens her mouth in absolute amazement.)
Monica: (on phone) Awww, y'know what your nickname is, Mr. Big…
Rachel: Arghh!! (She quickly hangs up the phone and starts to pace around wondering what to do.)

Sneak偷偷溜出去。M&C这时候正在地下情,所以用这个词来表示这种鬼鬼祟祟的样子。

absolutely stunned绝对的惊呆了~absolutely这里形容一种程度,其他如果需要程度形容的时候也可以考虑用这个词。 Stunned是惊呆,想rach现在的表情就记住了。

pace around屋里走来走去。特别记得pace这个词,很多地方都会用到。

Ross: No, I-I got really hot in my leather pants so I took them off but they must have shrunk from the-the sweat or-or-or my legs expanded from the heat. Look, I-I can't put them back on. I can't!
Joey: Oh. That is quite a situation. Uh, do you see any like, powder?
Ross: Powder! Yeah! Yeah, I have powder! (Grabs some of her shelf.)
Joey: Good-good, okay, sprinkle some of that on your legs, it'll absorb some of the moisture and then you can get your pants back up.

Shrunk缩水了,expanded from the heat,受热膨胀了。

That is quite a situation,习惯表达,记下。

Sprinkle撒粉。Absorb吸水。

Monica: We heard about your pants, I'm so sorry.
Ross: This year was supposed to be great! But, it's only the second day and I'm a loser with stupid leather pants that don't even fit!

注意这个长句。

Joey: You don't know!
Rachel: All right, how about I go over there and I will walk into Chandler's bedroom and I will see that thing that I think that I know is actually the thing that I think that I know! (Note: Kudos to Ms. Aniston on the delivery of that line. She said it very quickly and didn't screw up a word. Try it yourself, it ain't that easy.)
Joey: (gasps) YOU KNOW!!!!
Rachel: AND YOU KNOW!!!

I will see that thing that I think that I know is actually the thing that I think that I know!

liyue24 发表于 2009-1-10 04:26:45

4x13 - Rachel's Crush

这一episode由于有很多“讲道理”的段落在里面,也是liyue24很推荐的。

简单剧情如下:
钱德发现凯茜在新戏中和以前合作的男星有一场热辣演出,他害怕会出问题;乔伊劝慰他说,台上两个人有化学作用,但台下就不是那么回事;钱德放宽了心,但过后他看片的时候,才发现表演不对劲。钱德指责凯茜不该和男主角上床;结果发生争吵,不欢而散。 钱德去道歉却发现覆水难收。莫妮卡对乔伊说,既然你们男生占了大房间,就应该负担更多费用;乔伊答应之后,莫妮卡大宴宾客,还重新装修房间。瑞秋工作的部门被精简,所以她被降职,当上了私人采购助理;她本想辞职,但是一位富有的公子哥却请她帮忙采购;她想约会他,但无从下手……因为她从来没有主动约过男生。

premiere of Kathy’s play.]
Chandler: Okay, she is the star of the play. And she is my girlfriend! I get to have sex with the star of the play!
Ross: People can hear you.
Chandler: I know!!

Premiere首映式。不光电影有,戏剧也有。呵呵~^^

Kathy's Co-Star: Is that an expensive blouse?
Kathy: If you want it to be.
(Kathy’s co-star rips her blouse off and buttons go flying into the audience, and one hits Ross. Chandler’s mouth is on the floor.)
Ross: Here’s your girlfriend’s button. (Holding the button.)

Audience观众,听众。总之,就是坐在台下的~

(Rachel enters)
Monica: Hey, Rach! I made a pile of your stuff over on this side of the room. If you could just…(Rachel grunts and throws her purse at it)…throw your purses at it.
Rachel: Bloomingdale’s eliminated my department. (Phoebe gasps)

a pile of一大堆,堆叠的。

Eliminated企业裁员了~用这个词eliminate。原来有,现在砍掉了,这样的意思。

Joey: (entering) Hey! (Goes to the fridge.)
Monica: Umm, excuse me, we switched apartments. You can’t eat are food anymore, that-that gravy train had ended.
Joey: (Holding a turkey leg) There’s gravy?
Monica: If you have the big apartment you have to deal with people coming over all the time. That fridge has got to be stocked, okay, that’s your department now. (She takes back the turkey leg)
(Joey climbs up on the counter and starts looking at the top of the cabinets.)
Monica: What are you doing?
Joey: I think I left a donut up here.

Gravy这个词有两个意思,一个是肉汁,肉汤;另外一个是俚语,指非法获得的钱或好处,总之是有不劳而获的意思。Mon这里用的是第二个意思,但是显然joey只理解成第一个了~^^

Stock这个词也是超多意思。这里是储藏,贮藏的意思,引申说这些要存起来,也就是不给joey吃了。

Cabinet,厨房的橱柜也是叫cabinet。

Phoebe: Ooh! How was Kathy’s play?
Ross: Well, Kathy gets half-naked and simulates sex with a real good lookin’ guy.
Chandler: Yeah, it’s like someone literally wrote down my worst nightmare and then charged me $32 to see it!
Phoebe: That’s a good idea for a business!
Chandler: I’m totally screwed. Okay, they are gonna be hot and heavy on stage every night, and then they’re gonna go to their cast parties and he’s gonna try to undermine me. Y'know it’ll be like, "So where’s your boyfriend, what’s-his-name, Chester?" And she’ll go, "No-no-no, it’s Chandler." And he’ll go, "Whatever. Ha-ha-ha-ha!"

Simulate模拟。这个词和imitate还是有区别的,imitate是指有个例子或是样子可以跟着学,simulate是无中生有,纯粹的虚拟。

Literally这个词也是两个意思,一个是“照字面意思的”,另一个是“准确的,精确的”。不要理解成我们中译英的那个逐字翻译,那样的翻译肯定是不准确的。这里照字面意思指不歪曲不引申文字是啥就表达啥的意思,这样想就是很准确精确了。

Chandler: All right, look, look, what am I gonna do?
Joey: Chandler, look they’re actors. They’re there to do a job, just ‘cause they work together, doesn’t mean they’re gonna get together. I mean just ‘cause it happened with Susan Sarandon and Tim Robbins, it doesn’t mean it’s gonna happen with them.
Ross: Oh-oh, Alec Baldwin and Kim Basinger.
Joey: Tom Cruise and Nicole Kidman.
Ross: Yeah.

这一段要重点说一下。
Chandler问问题后joey给出自己观点。一句话表明观点后紧跟的就是例子。然后ross也是例子,joey再给出例子。可见不论说什么,例子是非常关键的。Joey和ross的例子都很fit,随后phoebe的例子完全摸不着头脑,于是被大家笑了。

Joey: Well okay, so then you’re fine. The rule is when two actors are actually doing it off-stage all the sexual tension between them is gone. Okay? So as long as it’s hot onstage you got nothing to worry about. It’s when the heat goes away, that’s when you’re in trouble.
Chandler: Really?
Joey: Look, you guys have been to every play I’ve ever been in, have I ever had chemistry on stage?
Ross: No.
Joey: Noooo!!

又一个!jo的观点是台上有猫腻台下没事,台下有猫腻台上没事。Chandler不理解,jo瞬间拿自己举例(他在台上演的很懒但是台下泡妞是绝顶高手),大家瞬间得到认同。^^可见一个fit的例子作用有多大。

off-stage台下,后台。对应on stage

tension那种张力,所谓“来电”了。

Chandler: Okay, okay, but don’t worry, because we also have cereals, muffins, waffles, and, jams, jellies, and marmalades. Which I’m fairly certain are the same thing.

呵呵,这些吃的可以留个印象。Cereal我们很少吃,康师傅的妙芙就是muffin啦~waffle就是雀巢威化,至于jams, jellies, 和marmalades,chandler自己也不知道是啥区别,所以我们也不管了。^^

Ross: Somebody seems to be missing being the hostess.
Monica: (laughs) Please, it’s a relief is what it is, is what it is.

Hostess女主人。不要和hostage混呀~

it’s a relief is what it is, is what it is.这句要请教高人了!我还没弄懂其中的关系。:))

Rachel: Hi!
Joshua: Hi, I’m Joshua.
Rachel: Hi, I’m Rachel Green. What can I do for you Joshua?
Joshua: Well, I need a whole new wardrobe. My wife, well my ex-wife…
Rachel: Oh, I’m so sorry.
(He walks over to look and some clothes and Rachel quickly turns around and adjusts her bra, trying to show off her assets.)

Wardrobe 衣橱,衣服,行头。

Adjust 调整。

Assets 财产,资产。MM如果有很漂亮的boobies确实是引以为豪的资产了~~^^

Chandler: I’m right! Right? There was like no chemistry between them. Before they had heat, and now there’s no heat! Now you know what this means, Joey told us what this means!
Ross: All right, let’s not jump to any conclusions. All right? There was some sexual chemistry between them.

jump to any conclusions 仓促得出结论。这个可要好好记下了,Argument里面是每篇必用到啊~~

同时也可以看出,chandler也是完全接受了joey的观点——他彻底被忽悠了。

Kathy: Clearly, I’m having sex with him?
Chandler: Oh come on, it was so obvious! There was no chemistry between you two!
Kathy: Okay, so let me just get this straight. You’re accusing me of cheating on you, and insulting my performance?

Accuse 指责,insult 侮辱。这两个词平时不是很常见,这里出现可以记住。Chandler非说有“内容”指责自己GF对自己不忠,同时,人家明明是表演他却觉得是真事,那是表演的好还是不好呢?^^总之kathy觉得chandler没看出来自己是表演,那就是说自己没有演出应该的样子,所以说chandler是诬蔑自己演技很差了。

Rachel: I have the best job in the entire world! The most adorable guy came over today, and I got to dress him up all day!
Phoebe: Rachel has a new doll.

Adorable 形容人可爱,迷人。想rach如何对待这个joshua,就知道啥时候用adorable来形容别人了。

Rachel: Whoops. (Starts to go into Chandler and Joey’s.) Oh, hey, do you need help with that?
Monica: Nah, I got it.
Rachel: Ooh, I just feel bad, I never vacuum. (She goes into Chandler and Joey’s.)

Vacuum 真空,真空吸尘器。我不知道这个词是否能有更引申的意思,但是是否这里也讥笑monica生活空虚只是打扫屋子呢?^^

Rachel: So I was with Joshua for an hour today, and he has not asked me out. It’s just so frustrating!
Phoebe: Why don’t you ask him out?
Joey: Oh, yeah, totally! That’s such a turn-on!
Rachel: Really? It doesn’t seem desperate?
Joey: Oh-ooh, that’s the turn-on.

frustrate 挫败,阻挠,使感到灰心。想rach从来都是无往而不利的,结果这次这个帅哥却不感冒,她的挫败感可以想象。

Desperate 绝望的。这个词相信大家都很熟了 ,因为DH嘛,呵呵。不过这里它形容的是一种孤注一掷铤而走险。确实,没有希望的时候 把人逼急了就会铤而走险吧。

Chandler: That’s not backing me up! Look, you said with the off-stage and the heat, and the onstage and the oy heat.
Joey: Whoa-whoa, that-that was just a theory! There’s a lot of theories that didn’t pan out. The lone gunman. Communism. Geometry.
Chandler: Oh my God!!

同样,一个观点之后紧接三个例子。虽然这里三个例子有点荒诞不经,但是也足以说明joey的观点。此外,虽然joey不学无术,但是我们似乎也能看到一些西方文化来,特别是对xx主义的看法。:))

debriefing Rachel on her rejection earlier that day and telling her what she should’ve done. Ross and Phoebe are watching.]
Joey: Okay, for next time, what do you say?
Rachel: I have an extra ticket. An extra ticket. Not, two tickets, I have an extra ticket.

Debrief 听取报告, 听取汇报。这个词可大可小,rach这种回来诉苦也算是debrief了。

Extra 额外的。特别特别注意啊!!就是因为用错词,rachel就丢了和帅哥约会的机会,所以大家用词时候也要考究哦~

Phoebe: How? How is your fault?
Chandler: Because, I-I should’ve called! Y’know if I had just called her after our big, stupid fight, she never would’ve gone out with Nick, and they would’ve ended up in bed together. I threw her at his man nipples!
Rachel: Honey, this is not your fault, just because you guys had a fight, it does not justify her sleeping with someone.
Ross: Well, if-if she thought they were on a break…

Justify 证明…是对的。
这个中文翻译很难再用回英文语境里面。这里我们不妨看一下原文的逻辑。Chandler认为:吵架->Kathy离开他,所以他说是他的错。但是rach的观点是:即使吵架也不能cheat on 对方,所以chandler没错。我翻译这句话是even you guys had a fight, it would be still wrong(not right) to sleeping with someone else.这样我们就看出来,justify和think sth is right是类似的意思的。

个人觉得这个词是不太好使的。大家如果见到不妨留意积累。

liyue24 发表于 2009-1-11 02:16:20

6x24-25 - TOW The Proposal

求婚这一段是全剧感人的片段之一,有志之士不妨提前先学习。^^

简单剧情如下:
为让求婚成为意外惊喜,钱德故布疑阵,让莫妮卡相信他今生都没有结婚的念头。理查德到莫妮卡的餐厅找她,说仍深爱着她。莫妮卡左右为难。乔伊穿着他的船长外套亮相。瑞秋和菲比议论感情替补手的问题:如果40岁还没嫁人,找谁来结婚?瑞秋本想选罗斯,却发现菲比早同罗斯...和乔伊都有了协议。最后四人商定,由罗斯给瑞秋当替补,而乔伊为菲比候补。钱德和莫妮卡终于订婚。

Phoebe: (To Chandler) We’re practically kissing. (Makes a kissy face and winks at him.)

Practically 实际上的,事实上的。同时也有almost,nearly的意思。这里就是后面这个意思。

Rachel: Are any of you guys free tonight? My boss is hosting this charity event for underprivileged kids and the more people I bring, the better I look. So, Monica? Chandler?

Charity 慈善事业。

Underprivileged 穷人,Poor的一个fancy说法。

Ross: I’m sorry, it’s just one of my last nights together before she leaves for camp—to be a counselor!
Monica: Ross let me ask you a question. All jokes aside, where is this relationship going?

Counselor 夏令营的管理员。现当于我们的辅导员。这个词也当顾问,或是律师讲。总之是类似提供帮助的意思。

All jokes aside 这是个典型的美国说法 ,英国人说all kidding(s) aside。

Ross: Uh-uh—Wow! Uh, I thought you guys were just like making jokes, I had no idea. What you know what? You guys are wrong. Uh yes, there is a chronological age difference but I never notice it. You know why? Because she is very mature. Besides, it doesn’t really matter to me what you guys think. I mean, I’m the one dating Elizabeth, not you!
Joey: That’s not what she said last night. (Ross glares at him.)
Rachel: See? Now, he could date her.

Chronological 按年代顺序排列的。这里记得这个说法chronological age,也就是我们平时说的实际年龄。Ross这里特别强调这个是实际年龄他们有差距,但是因为liz很mature所以他们之间并没有代沟。

Monica: Hi guys.
Chandler: (To Monica) You are beautiful.
Monica: Oh, thank you! (The gang exhibits signs of quiet apprehension and wears knowing glances.) (Monica giggles.) What’s going on?
Rachel: (breaking up) We’re just really…very excited about this charity event that we have to go to.

Apprehension 理解。这群人都心知肚明,脸上带着异样的表情,所以是一种quiet apprehension的sign和wears knowing glances这个样子。

Phoebe: So now what’s going on here?
Rachel: Uh well, uh this is a silent auction. They lay out all the stuff here and then you write down your offer and then the highest bid gets it.

Auction 拍卖会。Rach随后也解释了这种“静默拍卖会”,没有叫卖的,看起来很文明。

Bid 出价,投标。拍卖会上的这种行为就叫bid。此外bid还有命令,邀请等意思。

Second Dorm Guy: Put your balloons down!
The Girls: You put your balloons down!!
First Dorm Guy: You put your balloons down!!
(Both opposing camps start screaming at each other to drop their weapons and surrender. Finally, Ross steps in as a mediator.)
Ross: (screaming) Everybody put their balloons down!!! (There is a temporary cease fire.) Now this is a nice suit!! (Shows everyone where he was hit.)

Surrender 投降。

Mediator 调停者,仲裁人。这里boys和girls在water balloons fight,夹在中间挨打最后跳出来喊。于是叫他mediator。

Cease fire 停火。

Monica: (interrupting him) Oh my God!
Chandler: (not knowing the true meaning of her exclamation) I know, but just let me say it.

Exclamation 惊呼,欢呼。这里指mon的Oh my god这句。

Richard: (approaching them with a woman in tow) Monica! Chandler!
Chandler: Hey-hey, hey! (Gets up and hugs him.) I don’t know why I did that!
Monica: Hey, it’s good to see you!

Approaching 靠近。还记得approach,也有方式方法的意思。

In tow 跟随。

Mr. Thompson: (approaching) Mr. Tribbiani.
Joey: Oh hi!
Mr. Thompson: Your generous contribution brings us a big step closer to building the youth center.

generous contribution 慷慨解囊。

(An awkward silence ensues.)
Richard: It’s so great seeing you guys again. I’d like to make a toast. (Everyone raises their glasses) Uh, as a poet once said, "In the sweetness of friendship, let there be laughter and sharing of pleasures for in the due of little things the heart finds it’s morning and is refreshed."
Monica: Ohh.
Chandler: What?!

Ensue 继而发生。Follow的一个fancy说法,to take place subsequently.

In the sweetness of friendship, let there be laughter and sharing of pleasures for in the due of little things the heart finds it’s morning and is refreshed.
我不是文艺青年,所以我听完这句和chandler一样反应:what?! ^^完全没听懂。但是有想以后去蒙混别人的童鞋不妨背下这句,呵呵~

Monica: Oh Ross, sometimes grown-ups have commitments they just can’t get out of!
Ross: Y’know, maybe she is too young for me. Y’know, when I was over there and she was running around with her friends, I felt like I was a baby-sitter. I finally started to see what you guys were talking about. I don’t know what to do.
Monica: Why don’t you just weigh out the good stuff about the relationship against the bad stuff. I mean that’s what I did when I first (looks at Chandler and pauses) weighing stuff.

Commitment 允诺,承诺,很多时候这个词都特制婚姻,那种一生一世的承诺。

Weigh out 称重,或是我们所说的“掂量”,“权衡”。想214里面ross弄了一个pros and cons的list直接把rachel气走,但是这monica却也提倡这种方法。Anyway,可以记下这个:weight out the good stuff about xxxxxxx against the bad stuff. 关于某事的正反两方面比较。这样的表达在AW里面是会用到的。

Chandler: Okay, okay, here she comes! (Sits on the couch next to him.) How do I look? Do I look like a guy who doesn’t want to get married?
Joey: Yeah! And also, a little like a French guy. (They both squint at each other.) I never noticed that before.

Squint 斜眼看,眯着眼看,总之是不正经的打量。

Monica: Well that’s a little crazy. Although I am y’know glad to hear that you’re branching out on what you look at on the Internet.
Chandler: Yeah, well… Y’know, it just got me thinking though, why would anybody ever want to get married huh?
Monica: Why?! To celebrate your relationship! To solidify your commitment! To declare your love for one another to the world!
Chandler: Eh…

Branch (out) 枝条,扩展范围。这里的意思类似于expand或是explore,但是有一种伸出触角的感觉(想枝条或是藤条蔓延)。

Solidify 巩固,使坚硬。Declare 宣称,宣告。Monica这里对marriage的看法大家可以记下来,写Issue的时候兴许用得上~^^

Rachel: Isn’t it incredible?! Monica and Chandler, gettin’ married.
Phoebe: I know, they’re gonna be so happy together.

Incredible 难以置信的,unbelievable,这两个词经常挂在他们嘴边。

Monica: Oh my God! Then-then-then what are we even doing?! What is this?!
Chandler: Whoa! Whoa! Whoa! What is all this pressure?! Is this some new kind of strategy? Why don’t you put down your copy of ‘The Rules’ huh mantrap?!
Monica: Y’know what?! I gotta go! Ugh!

Strategy 策略,阴谋诡计。Chandler这里故意装作是以为mon在绕弯套婚,所以扔出来这么个词。

Mantrap,这个词红宝好像都没有…… :)) 大家随便记一下就好了。

Rachel: We’re gonna find love!
Phoebe: Definitely!
Rachel: Yeah, I’m pretty confident about that. That’s what makes it so easy for me to be 80% happy for Monica and Chandler! It would be nice to have a little guarantee though.
Phoebe: What do you mean?
Rachel: Well y’know, some people make deals with a friend, like if neither of them are married by the time they’re 40, they marry each other.
Phoebe: You mean a backup?
Rachel: Exactly!

Be confident about sth 对什么事有信心。类似be sure about 但是更强调自信的意思,或是说,还是不够sure,只是有自信——真的怎样还不好说。于是才引出下面的backup。^^

Guarantee 保障。

Rachel: Wh… So… If neither of you are married by the time you’re 40, you’re gonna marry Joey.
Phoebe: Yep, we shook on it. Yeah but believe me that is not how he wanted to seal the deal.

Shake (on),握手,也就是达成一致的意思。Shake on sth,一个搭配,类似we have a deal.

Seal the deal,同上。

Rachel: Yeah, love. It’s a tricky business isn’t it?
Ross: I guess so.
Rachel: So what do you say we make a pact? If you and I are both single by the time we’re 40, we get married. I mean, we know each other, we like each other, and we’ve-we’ve already slept together so y’know there’ll be no surprises there! You know what I mean? No like, "What’s that?!"
Ross: Right. Ohh! You-you want me to be your backup.
Rachel: Exactly.

Tricky 麻烦的,棘手的,诡计多端的,总之是不太好处理的。

Make a pact 订个合约吧。一个很日常的说法。

Phoebe: No wait! Just—Okay—Just wait! You guys! Wait you guys! Don’t make any rash decisions, okay? Just remember my promise, when we get married, three times a week.
Rachel: Oh God, Phoebe!
Phoebe: (To Rachel) I’m talking about massages.
Rachel: Oh.

Rash decisions 轻率的决定。Argument里面随处可以用到。

Chandler: Okay! (He joins her on one knee) Okay! Okay! Oh God, I thought… (Starting to cry, pauses) Wait a minute, I-I can do this. (Pause) I thought that it mattered what I said or where I said it. Then I realized the only thing that matters is that you, you make me happier than I ever thought I could be. And if you’ll let me, I will spend the rest of my life trying to make you feel the same way. (Pause as he gets out the ring.) Monica, will you marry me?

感人至深的一段独白,很简单但是很发自内心。同时我们也看到,这几个天天胡扯的活宝居然随口就说出如此精辟的长句。当然说这是剧本写的但是我们丝毫感觉不到雕琢的痕迹,确实觉得一个老美这个时候就是能说出这样的话来。我想,这就是几十年的语感积累吧。我们看觉得是所谓“长难句”的,人家只是不觉得罢了。

liyue24 发表于 2009-1-12 17:29:43

1x13 - The Boobies

这一集由于里面有不少“说教”的内容,于是也值得推荐。

简单剧情介绍:
钱德撞见瑞秋出浴并看见了她的胸脯,引发了一连串的报复行动。菲比的新男友罗杰是个心理医生,他观察力太过敏锐、使每个人陷入沮丧的境地,由此惹恼了大家。乔伊得知了父亲和兽医朗妮有一腿,并且已经六年之久。他坚持要父亲断绝这头关系,要么就向母亲坦白,而事实上,他母亲早已一清二楚,并且不愿让这段感情结束。

raiding the fridge. Then Rachel comes out of the shower with a towel wrapped round her waist, drying herself with another towel. Chandler and Rachel startle each other and she drops the towel for a second and snatches the rug off the couch.]
Rachel: That is IT! You just barge in here, you don't knock
Chandler: I'm sorry!
Rachel: You have no respect for anybody's privacy!
Chandler: Rachel, wait, wait.

Raid 奇袭突袭,搜捕,侵入,掠夺。这个词这里用的很是精确,充分描述了chandler这种偶然跑过来偷吃东西的样子。

Snatch:To grasp or seize hastily, eagerly, or suddenly.突然一把抓过来的意思。注意这种突然和仓促的意思。

Barge 这里是闯入的意思,记得这个短语barge in。同时这个词还有平底船的意思。3x14 - Phoebe's Ex-Partner里面phoebe说自己的原来的partner的妈妈和自己的妈妈都在barge上工作,就是指平底船。

Respect尊重,尊重别人的隐私:have respect for somebody's privacy

Rachel: He's so cute! And he seems to like you so much.
Phoebe: I know, I know. So sweet... and so complicated. And for a shrink, he's not too shrinky, y'know?

Complicated 复杂的,或是说有点内涵的。这个roger是个心理医生,可能说话有点绕,phoebe觉得他“有内容”。说白了就是不是很好理解。

Shrink 这个词有很多意思,主要是收缩,退缩,引申为犹豫不决等等,但是老美嘴里说的时候也常指心理医生。

Chandler: Y'know, I don't know why you're so embarrassed, they were very nice boobies.
Rachel: Nice? They were nice. I mean, that's it? I mean, mittens are nice.
Chandler: Okaaay, (Gestures) rock, hard place, me.
Roger: You're so funny! He's really funny! I wouldn't wanna be there when when the laughter stops.
Chandler: Whoah whoah, back up there, Sparky. What'd you mean by that?
Roger: Oh, just seems as though that maybe you have intimacy issues. Y'know, that you use your humour as a way of keeping people at a distance.
Chandler: Huh.
Roger: I mean hey! I just met you, I don't know you from Adam. ...Only child, right? Parents divorced before you hit puberty.
Chandler: Uhhuh, how did you know that?
Roger: It's textbook.

Embarrassed 丢人的,尴尬的。

Mitten 就是女孩子冬天带的那种拇指自己独立成家,其余四指在一起的手套。一般上面可能还有各种图案绣花等等,于是rach觉得很漂亮。她也觉得那样的叫nice。

Gesture 表示,表达。注意这个说法:rock, hard place, me 一边是石头一边是硬的东西自己挤在中间——左右为难了。^^

Intimacy 亲昵亲密关系。

I don't know you from Adam  我一点都不了解你。from Adam从亚当开始。可以理解说是很早之前,也可以理解说adam类似字典里最一开始的一个词,“你这本书我从头就没看过”,也就是我完全不知道。

Puberty 青春期

Ross: Alright, alright. We're all adults here, there's only one way to resolve this. Since you saw her boobies, I think, uh, you're gonna have to show her your peepee.
Chandler: Y'know, I don't see that happening?
Rachel: C'mon, he's right. Tit for tat.
Chandler: Well I'm not showing you my 'tat.'

Resolve 解决

Tit for tat 以牙还牙,一报还一报。

Ross: Y'see, that's where you're wrong. Why would I marry her if I thought on any level thatthat she was a lesbian?
Roger: I dunno. Maybe you wanted your marriage to fail.
Ross: Why? Why would I why? Why? Why? Why?
Roger: I don't know. Maybe maybe low self-esteem, maybe maybe to compensate for overshadowing a sibling, maybe you...
Monica: Wait-wait, go back to that sibling thing.
Roger: Well, I don't know. I mean, it's conceivable that you wanted to sabotage your marriage so that the sibling would feel less of a failure in the eyes of the parents.

Esteem 尊重;low self-esteem 也就是我们说的不自重。

Compensate 赔偿,补偿。Overshadow 遮蔽,使…失色。Sibling 兄弟姐妹。我也是在这里认识sibling这个词。同时这句也学习如何用compensate。

Conceivable 可以想象的,可能的。Sabotage 阴谋破坏。这个shrink居然说ross是故意要一个failed marriage。

我们来看看,这个老兄roger居然一段话用了这么多“复杂”词汇。难怪开始phoebe说他complicated。

Joey: Y'know what I mean, about how I'm always going out with all these women. And I always figured, when the right one comes along, I'd be able to be a stand-up guy and go the distance, y'know? Now I'm looking at my dad, thinking...
Chandler: Hey, you're not him. You're you. When they were all over you to go into your father's pipe-fitting business, did you cave?
Joey: No.
Chandler: No. You decided to go into the out-of-work actor business. Now that wasn't easy, but you did it! And I'd like to believe that when the right woman comes along, you will have the courage and the guts to say "No thanks, I'm married."

Cave 投降,屈伏。洞穴意思可能大家都比较熟悉了。

the courage and the guts 勇气,毅力。Gut这个词的含义很模糊,这里记得这个搭配表达就好了。

All: Yeah. Hate him.
Ross: We're sorry, Pheebs, we're sorry.
Phoebe: Uh-huh. Okay. Okay, don't you think, maybe, though, it's just that he's so perceptive that it freaks you out?
All: ...No, we hate him.
Rachel: We're sorry.

Perceptive 有感知能力,敏锐的。Phoebe也扔出来很“复杂”的词。很明显这个roger能轻易洞悉别人心,所以说是perceptive。

Joey: Ma, I don't mean to be disrespectful, but... what the hell are you talking about?! I mean, what about you?
Mrs. Tribbiani: Me? I'm fine. Look, honey, in an ideal world, there'd be no her, and your father would look like Sting. And I'll tell you something else. Ever since that poodle-stuffer came along, he's been so ashamed of himself that he's been more attentive, he's been more loving... I mean, it's like every day's our anniversary.

Disrespectful 不尊重。

Ideal world 理想世界。Attentive 注意的留心的殷勤的。Attention这个大家应该很容易记得。这里是形容词。而且,男生如果对女生很留意很关心,一般就是在献殷勤 了。所以殷勤的是个引申含义。

Anniversary 周年纪念。

Roger: Well, I'm not I'm not at all surprised they feel that way.
Phoebe: You're not? See, that's why you're so great!
Roger: Actually it's, it's quite, y'know, typical behaviour when you have this kind of dysfunctional group dynamic. Y'know, this kind of co-dependant, emotionally stunted, sitting in your stupid coffee house with your stupid big cups which, I'm sorry, might as well have nipples on them, and you're like all 'Oh, define me! Define me! Love me, I need love!'.

Behavior 行为。这个词我个人感觉很书面,一般都是涉及到学术或是啥的时候才会用到。

Dysfunctional “[医] 机能不良, 功能紊乱, 官能障碍”这里要注意dys这个前缀,一般指有问题,有病症的。

Co-dependant 互相依赖, stunt 阻碍发育,阻碍成长。

我也不太明白这个shrink说的是啥意思。总之是引用了一些textbook里面的东西把这群人抨击了一下。所以phoebe也开始不爽了。

Monica: So you talked to your dad, huh.
Joey: Yeah. He's gonna keep cheating on my ma like she wanted, she's gonna keep pretending she doesn't know even though she does, and my little sister Tina can't see her husband any more because he got a restraining order...which has nothing to do with anything except that I found out today.
Rachel: Wow.
Chandler: Things sure have changed here on Waltons mountain.
Ross: So Joey, you okay?
Joey: Yeah, I guess. It's just parents, after a certain point, you gotta let go. Even if you know better, you've gotta let them make their own mistakes.

看joey这一段的“长句”。每个句子都不是简单句但是读起来却并不拗口。我们写东西时候有时故意“追求”句子长结果搞的结构复杂让人读了不知所云,而且语句没有节奏。虽然joey这里是口语,但是,由简入繁嘛。

Restrain 限制,控制,管制。我不太清楚这个order具体是法院的还是只是家里的,但是总之是限制这个男孩活动了。

liyue24 发表于 2009-1-13 14:37:31

6x03 - TOW Ross's Denial

这个里面由于有不少ross的长句我也是经常看。

简单情节如下:
菲比有个没人听说过的室友叫Denise。瑞秋想找新公寓,乔伊和罗斯都乐意同她合住。但罗斯犹豫不决,不知道这样好不好。菲比总说罗斯还爱着瑞秋,罗斯死不认帐。钱德和莫妮卡为如何处理瑞秋的房间和钱德的家具而争吵。一时间,似乎每个人都不愿挪地方。乔伊征求新室友,显而易见,他是醉翁之意不在酒。罗斯不敢告诉瑞秋,两人仍是夫妇。

Phoebe: (taking his coffee) Okay, whatever you say. But just be careful, all right? Rachel’s not in the same place you are.
Ross: (grabbing back his coffee) If the place you are referring to is being in love, then she is in the same place as me because I am not in that place!
Phoebe: Okay, I didn’t understand that, but y’know, maybe that’s ‘cause you were speaking the secret language of love!

注意ross的这段“绕口令”。^^

Chandler: Well, I like that idea. Obviously! I was thinking maybe-maybe-maybe it could be a game room, y’know? I mean you can buy old arcade games like uh, like Space Invaders and Asteroids for $200, the real ones! The big-big ones!
Monica: No.
Chandler: Okay so you mean no as in, "Gee Chandler, what an interesting idea. Let’s discuss it before we reject it completely."
Monica: Oh, I’m sorry. Of course I mean that. Interesting idea, umm, talk about it, but no.
Chandler: So, that’s it?
Monica: I just don’t think arcade games go in the beautiful guest room. The beautiful guest room is gonna be filled with antiques.
Chandler: Which is why Asteroids is perfect! It’s the oldest game!
Monica: What do you have against the beautiful guest room?
Chandler: I don’t have anything against the beautiful guest room, especially since everybody we know lives about 30 seconds away!
Monica: Are you mocking me?
Chandler: No, I’m not mocking you, (in a mocking voice) or you beautiful guest room. (Exits.)

Arcade 原始的,古老的。Asteroid 小行星。嗯我们不确定chandler这里说的到底是哪个游戏。

Reject 否定,拒绝。Antiques 古物,古董。Mon想用这些来装饰她的beautiful gust room。

Mock 挖苦嘲笑的模仿。想chandler这个时候的态度,就是叫mock。

Chandler: (reading the ad) "Wanted. Female roommate, non-smoker, non-ugly." Nice!
Joey: Yeah? I just figured y’know, after living with you it’d be an interesting change of pace to have a female roommate, y’know? Someone I can learn from, someone-someone who’s different than me. And what’s more different than me; a guy who’s not 19 than say a girl who is 19? Enh? (Points to his head.) Not just a hat rack my friend!

Change of pace 步调的改变。或是说,换一种生活方式或是生活节奏,怎么理解都好。

Hat rack 帽子架。Joey说自己脑袋不是帽子架。类似我们说“不是摆设”的意思。

Rachel: Pheebs, I have to ask you…
Phoebe: Shhhhhh! I’m swamped right now.

Swamp 做名词指湿地,或是沼泽地,或是困境。动词指陷入或是引申为忙得不可开交,应接不暇。想想我们说“忙的拔不出腿来”,是不是感到语言都是相通的呢?^^

Rachel: Pheebs, this whole apartment thing is just a nightmare! Every place I can afford comes with a roommate who is a freak. I mean, look at this; (Points to one and starts to read it.) "Wanted. Female roommate, non-smoker, non-ugly." It’s just, there is nothing! The city’s full!
Phoebe: Wait, no, look at this! (Points to one.) (Reading) "Two bedroom, two bath, must be non-smoker, Satan worshipers okay…" Oh, yeah, but it’s on the ground floor.

Afford 负担得起,支付的起的。

Worshiper 崇拜者。

Rachel: That sounds great! I’d love to live at Warren’s!! I love Warren! Thank you!
Ross: Don’t thank me! If you wanna thank something, thank the volcano that erupted thousands of years ago, killing but perfectly preserving an entire civilization. (Rachel just looks at him.) Here’s Warren’s number.

Erupt 喷发。火山爆发。

Preserve 保存,保藏。

Monica: Look it is not my fault that your chairs are incredibly ugly!
Chandler: All right! That’s fine! That’s fine! I won’t bring over the chairs! I won’t bring anything over! I wouldn’t want to ruin the ambiance over here at Grandma’s place!! (Storms out.)

Ambiance 环境,氛围。

The Potential Roommate: Oh don’t worry, I’m not really a party girl.
Joey: Whoa!! Now look, don’t be just blurtin’ stuff out. I want you to really think about your answers. Okay?

Blurt 脱口而出。

Chandler: Why did you take the shower curtain down?
Joey: That thing was a hazard! (To the potential roommate) I’m very safety conscious.

safety conscious 安全意识

Rachel: No-no, they just had a big blowout over what to do with my room.
Ross: What?! Over a stupid room!
Rachel: Yeah, I feel kinda bad for them, but I’m also really psyched ‘cause I don’t have to move in here!
Ross: Oh no, yeah no, that part’s great!

Psych 激动的。这里注意这个词根,和心智有关。老美也很喜欢用这个词。

Ross: Well, apparently not, and I can’t just stand by and watch two people I care about so much be hurt over something that is so silly. I mean, enough of the silliness!
Chandler: Well, why don’t you tell her to stop being silly! (Monica mocks him and he joins in.)
Ross: (stopping them) Okay-okay! Two very good points, look I’ve known you both a long time, and I’ve never seen either of you one/millionth as happy as you’ve been since you’ve got together. Do you really want to throw that all away over a room? That is so silly. Now wh-what is more important, love or silliness?
Chandler: Well, we are fond of the silliness, but we also have a soft spot for the love.
Monica: Love is the best medicine.
Chandler: That’s laughter.

注意ross的这个长句。

Be fond of …. But also have a soft spot for … 喜欢xxx但也中意xxx。

…is the best medicine。这个最常用的应该是laughter。说起这个要提一下batman: the dark knight。Joker攻击关在押运车里面的harvey dent的时候,开的一辆大卡车的车厢侧面就有这句laughter is the best medicine.但是joker很艺术的在l之前加了一个大大的红色S,结果变成Slaughter is the best medicine~

Monica: Ross, you were right before, it was just a stupid fight about a room.
Ross: Okay, there are no stupid fights!! This isn’t about the room, this is about what the room…represents! And unfortunately, this room (Points to Rachel’s room) could destroy you!!
Chandler: Yeah, I'm not so worried.
Monica: Yeah, no, me neither.
Ross: Fine! It’s your life! (Starts to storm out mad about his failed attempt at the manipulation of his best friend and sister, but stops and tries one last time.) I just don’t want to see you guys break up! Which you will do if you move in together, but that’s what you want, there’s nothing I can do. (Opens the door and tries one more time.) DON’T DO IT!!!!! (Finally leaves.)

Represent 表示,表达。

Manipulation 操纵,控制。这个词还在更经典点地方出现,以后再讲。

也注意ross的这里几个长句。

Ross: (To Rachel) So umm, where are the other guys?
Rachel: Umm, well let’s see Monica and Chandler are occupied.
Ross: Fighting?!
Rachel: No, the other thing. I really think it’s great they work things out.

Occupy 占用,占领。这里就是说他们在忙着呢。Be occupied,也可以用为我在忙。

[ 本帖最后由 liyue24 于 2009-1-13 14:41 编辑 ]

liyue24 发表于 2009-1-15 16:10:28

7x14 - TOW They All Turn Thirty

虽然这么说有点扯,不过从这里我们可以看出很多西方人对人生的态度来。^^

简单情节介绍:
瑞秋为年满三十而耿耿与怀,其余人不禁意识到他们也已步入而立之年。莫妮卡在惊喜生日派对之前就喝得大醉;菲比计划和乌苏拉言和,后发现自己已31岁;罗斯买了辆跑车,却开不出停车场;钱德平静迎来30岁;乔伊哭天抢地。瑞秋认定要实现人生目标,必须找到可共度终生的男人。于是同Tag分手.

Rachel: Look, y’know I know my life’s going pretty well, but I look around and I just see so many people who’ve accomplished so many other goals by the time they’re thirty.
Phoebe: Yeah, but you shouldn’t compare yourself to me.

注意rach这个长句。

Accomplish 完成,达到,实现。实现自己的目标,accomplish someone’s goals。

Monica: Well, doing nothing on your thirtieth is better than doing something stupid, like Ross.
Ross: Hey! That was a practical purchase! I needed that car for transportation! Okay? I-I have a child!

Practical purchase实际的开销。也就是我们说花钱很值,没乱花钱。Practical,实际的,这里引申为有用的。Purchase,通常指大笔开销。你要是去买个什么零食也叫purchase就很小题大做或是故意要说点什么了。

Chandler: Ross, a sports car? Wouldn’t it have been cheaper to just stuff a sock down there?
Ross: That’s not what this is about okay? I-I am a sports car enthusiast. I have always been into cars.
Joey: Hey, what’s the horsepower on this thing?
Ross: (giddy) I don’t know, but-but look how shiny!
Monica: I can’t believe you bought this.
Rachel: Really! God Ross, what were you thinking? (To Phoebe, quietly) I know it’s really shallow, but a part of me wants him again.

Enthusiast 热心者,狂热者。应该比粉丝更疯狂一些的。

Horsepower 马力。翻译的很直接哈。

Shallow 浅的,引申为肤浅的。这里rach自嘲自己看到名车就马上动心~

Chandler: (To Joey) Would you put that back on?! Monica’s gonna be here any minute!
Joey: But it hurt’s my Joey’s Apple.
Chandler: (frustrated) Okay, for the last time. It’s not named for each individual man.

Adam’s apple 喉结,joey这里又搞笑了。

Frustrate 挫败的,即我们所说:真是给你打败了~   这个词又出现了。

Chandler: Oh well, not as lovely as you. I mean, I can’t believe that you would have a thirty-year-old daughter! (To Mr. Geller) And you! I can’t believe that you would have a tux that’s thirty years old! (Puts his hand on Mr. Geller’s shoulder.)
Mr. Geller: It’s older than that. Ross was actually conceived right near this tuxedo.
Chandler: Ohh! (He quickly removes his hand and looks at it.)

Conceive 孕育。注意!这里老geller用的就是红包里面conceive的孕育这个意思。同时也记得这个词也有构思,设想等意思。

Ursula: Yeah, we’re not thirty, we’re 31.
Phoebe: Nu-uh!
Ursula: Yea-huh! That’s what is says on my birth certificate.
Phoebe: You have your birth certificate?
Ursula: Yeah, I got a big box of family stuff when my mom died.

Birth certificate出生证明。

Rachel: What’s-what’s going on? Phil’s really pissed!
Chandler: Monica’s wasted.
Ross: Maybe that will liven up this party.

Pissed 生气的。有个习语叫piss somebody off,惹火某人。

Wasted 喝醉了的一个说法。

Liven up 给这个party带来活力。

Mr. Geller: (filming this) Hey Chandler, you can’t keep your hands off her for one second!
Mrs. Geller: Oh-ho, I think it’s nice.
Chandler: I think it’s necessary. (Backs away anyhow.)

经典的包袱皮!~想了好久不知道怎样才能翻译这个地方。^^

hyacinth 发表于 2009-1-16 08:54:02

其实不想拆楼。。。>_<

打个小广告。。。这个帖子和我们版的看FRIENDS 练听力正好遥相呼应 嘿嘿 :rolleyes:

https://bbs.gter.net/bbs/thread-908637-1-1.html

lintelle 发表于 2009-1-16 10:03:07

这个帖子太棒了。强赞

liyue24 发表于 2009-1-17 02:32:49

8x14 - the_one_with_the_secret_closet

同样有一些较长的对话,但是不多。

简单情节如下:
莫妮卡请别人按摩,菲比知道后很不高兴。乔伊做梦和瑞秋一起生孩子,可生出的孩子却是罗斯的样子,吓出了一身冷汗。孩子第一次踢肚子,瑞秋兴奋得跑去告诉乔伊。钱德发现莫妮卡有个锁着的储藏室,他很好奇里面是什么。菲比让莫妮卡给她一次机会帮她按摩,谁知莫妮卡在按摩时发出了叫床的享受声,让菲比受不了。罗斯对总错过孩子的第一次又不能照顾瑞秋而心烦,乔伊建议瑞秋和罗斯一起住,罗斯觉得这个主意很好。钱德费尽九牛二虎之力终于打开了神秘的储藏室,发现里面一团糟,原来都是莫妮卡没有地方放的东西。

Chandler: Hey Pheebs, what’s up?
Phoebe: You ask an intriguing question Chandler Bing.

Intriguing 引起兴趣的。Intrigued我们遇到过了,表示做坏事的兴趣的,这里又遇到了。可见这个词很daily。

Monica: Chandler, there is nothing in there that concerns you! If you love me you-you’ll let it go.
Chandler: Fine.

Concern 涉及,关系到。这个词说不常见吧又总看到,说常见吧,但是感觉大家确实不常用。最一般的我们说it doesn’t concern you,也就是说none of your business,但是确实相对更书面一点。

Joey: I saw this movie once where there was a door and no one knew what was behind it, and when they finally got it open millions and millions and millions of bugs came pouring out and they feasted on human flesh. Y’know it wouldn’t kill ya to respect your wife’s privacy! (He walks away and into his apartment and looks the door.) Stupid closet full of bugs!

Pour out 涌出,倾泻,下大雨,等等等等能形容大量水(或是流质的东西)涌出的意思。注意还不能太过激烈,如果是喷的话会用projectile或是project等词。把握量大但是又不十分激烈;

Feast 节日,盛宴,享受等意思。

Respect someone’s privacy 尊重别人隐私。遇到过了。再次记住respect。

Chandler: So, how’s the hideously inappropriate crush on Rachel coming?
Joey: Uh, really good. Really good. Yeah, I should be ready to kill myself any day now. (Chandler returns with a bobby pin and hands it to Joey.) Wow, you sure found that quick. (He tries the pin in the lock.) I just—I wish I didn’t feel this way about Rachel anymore, y’know? I wish things could go back to normal. I mean, I love living with her and God, helping out with the baby is just amazing, but now I think…I think Ross feels left out. Y’know? When I had to take Rachel to the hospital, the doctor thought I was the father. God… You should’ve seen the look on Ross’s face. (Pause) By the way, I have no idea what I’m doing here. For all I know I’m just locking it more. Oh hey, did you try opening it with a credit card?
Chandler: That’s a good idea.
Joey: Yeah.

Hideous骇人听闻的, 可怕的。Scary。

Inappropriate 不合适不适当的。

Chandler: Well, it’s not your fault. What are you gonna do? Not take her to the hospital? Y’know? You’re doing nothing wrong. (Pause) Except for harboring an all consuming love for the woman whose carrying his baby. (He loses his card behind the door.) Richard? If-if you’re in there, could you pass me my credit card?

Harbor 这个词当名词是指港湾,做动词我查到三个意思:1)To give shelter to窝藏;2)To provide a place, home, or habitat for为…提供地方、住房或栖息地;3)To entertain or nourish (a specified thought or feeling)持有或抱有(某种特殊的思想或感情);可以看出还是有港湾的引申意思在其中的。这句应该是第三个意思了,指joey暗恋rachel;

Consuming 强烈的。Consume的意思有吃光,耗尽,消费,毁灭等,都是描述一种极端状态。动名词的这个意思可以留意一下。

Monica: So umm, what do you say we make it a weekly appointment?
Phoebe: Okay. Okay but you should know though, I’ve raised my rates to $200 an hour.
Monica: Okay.

Appointment 预约。

Rate 费率。感觉英文里面越是拼写简单的词似乎语义越多。Rate还有速率,比率,等级,价格等名词意思,做动词指估价,评级,和责骂;

Monica: No Chandler, you don’t understand! (Chandler starts singing the theme for Sanford and Son, an old TV show starring Redd Fox.) Okay! Okay! Okay! Fine! Now you know. Okay? I’m y’know…I’m sick.
Chandler: No, honey you’re not sick! Look, I don’t love you because you’re organized, I love you in spite of that.

强烈推荐大家仔细注意这句, because和in spite of。

Organized 有规律有条理的。

Adamas 发表于 2009-1-17 03:11:06

很好奇的问句,版主楼主把Friends看了多少遍哦:rolleyes:

菠萝油王子球 发表于 2009-1-17 04:43:04

Thank you!!!
Good job

MYcolting 发表于 2009-1-17 08:02:14

:) lz辛苦了 3ks

liyue24 发表于 2009-1-18 23:34:30

6x17 - TOW The Unagi

由于有一个ross的长句,也算推荐剧集。

简单情节:
在咖啡馆打工、并不能让乔伊做到收支平衡,所以他决定再次参加医学实验。此时在进行的唯一的实验是双胞胎研究。报酬丰厚,乔伊难以抗拒。于是他雇佣另一个演员饰演他的双胞胎兄弟。瑞秋和菲比去上女子防身术课程,但罗斯认为她俩完全没有应付危险状况的心理准备。为证明自己的观点,他在走廊上吓她们,结果反被制服。过情人节,钱德和莫妮卡计划自制礼物送给对方。钱德动手能力差,而莫妮卡压根给忘了。结果钱德送了一卷自己录制的音乐带(其实是珍妮丝以前送他的礼物);而莫妮卡则把菲比用袜子缝的兔兔送给了钱德。

Joey: Y’know what’s more generous than that?! Fifty percent! Y’know what’s even more generous than that?!!
Chandler: I see where you’re goin’!
Ross: What’s up with the greed Joe?

Generous 慷慨的,大方的;

Greed 贪财的,贪婪的;

Ross: Oh, wait! Wait! Don’t you have an audition today? Yeah! Maybe you’ll get that job!
Joey: Oh, ha-ha-ha! Ooh! Wait a minute, I used to get medical experiments down on me all the time!

Audition 试演,试镜;

Phoebe: Now, we can kick anybody’s ass!
Rachel: Yeah!
Ross: After one class? I don’t think so.
Rachel: What? You wanna see me self-defend myself?! Go over there (points) and pretend you’re a sexual predator! Go on! I dare ya!!

Predator掠夺者, 食肉动物,这里指侵略者;

Phoebe: (deadpan) Come on Ross. We’re sorry. Please tell us what it is.
Ross: Unagi is a state of total awareness. Okay? Only by achieving true unagi can you be prepared for any danger that may befall you!

注意这句话。特别提醒的是,Only打头的句子要注意倒装~~

Joey: And of course, crotchless panties.
Chandler: Well appealing as that does sound to her boyfriend (pause) and her brother, (the camera pans to Ross flashing Joey a very evil look; Joey gets scared) I can’t do that we promised we’d make each other gifts this year.

Appeal 吸引,有诱惑力。也有请求,诉求等意思。

Joey: (to the receptionist) Hi uh, I’m Joey Tribbiani and with all do respect I’d like to donate some fluids.
Receptionist: We’re actually at the end of one of our research cycles, so we’re not looking for applicants right now.
Joey: Oh that’s too bad. I’ve kinda been saving up. (She just looks at him in horror.) Uh, are you sure there’s no studies I can participate in?
Receptionist: Well, here’s a schedule of what’s coming up. (Hands it to him.)
Joey: Thanks. (Starts to read it.) Well but this one starts now. (Points to one.)
Receptionist: Oh that one is available now, but only identical twins are eligible. It’s a twins study.

With all do respect 充满敬意的。个人以为这里的do只是一个强调的意思,平时说with all respect我看就好了。

Donate 捐赠;Fluid 流动,流体,液体;

Applicants 应聘者,志愿者;

Participate (in) 参与进去。或是,可分享的;

Identical 一致的,同样的;eligible 符合条件的,合格的;记得同卵双胞胎叫identical twin。符合标准用something/someone is eligible。

Ross: Y’know what? She’d-she’d love this. (Picks up a model of the Saturn V rocket, that’s the one that took man to the moon.) Uh, it’s an exact replica of Apollo 8. I made it in the sixth grade.
Chandler: Yeah, I guess I could use that. I could say that your love sends me to the moon.
Ross: Yeah-yeah, except Apollo 8 didn’t actually land on the moon. But you-you-you could write that umm, your love lets me orbit the moon twice and return safely.

Replica 复制品;

Orbit环绕;

Ross: No, I mean it’s okay, I mean, they’re-they’re my friends. In fact, I-I-I was married to one of them.
The Instructor: Let me get this straight man, you attacked your ex-wife?!
Ross: Oh, no! No-no! No, I tired! But I couldn’t. That’s why I’m here. Maybe we could attack them together? (He glares at him.) That-that’s a no.

注意这里!ross很快更正了这个instructor的说法。过去式表示的是一种已经发生的动作,或是过去经常发生的。但是ross没有成功,所以他马上说我只是tried,而不是attacked。精准的语言。

Janice’s Voice: (singing) You’re look for laughable…(She does the now patented Janice laugh.)

Patent 专利,特许。这里算是引申意思,也就是很特色的。
页: [1] 2 3 4
查看完整版本: 从Friends里学红宝单词的使用