寄托家园留学论坛

标题: 揭秘托福GRE作文电子评分器-元月20日晚公开课习作收集帖 [打印本页]

作者: tesolchina    时间: 2016-1-15 18:28:55     标题: 揭秘托福GRE作文电子评分器-元月20日晚公开课习作收集帖

本帖最后由 tesolchina 于 2016-1-22 09:24 编辑

欢迎参加『揭开托福GRE作文电子评分器的神秘面纱』寄托公开课。请回复本帖粘贴自己的一篇未经修改的托福或GRE作文练习,并记住自己的所在楼层。上课时请通过右上角的电梯回到自己的楼层并按照QQ群里的指引编辑自己的楼层参加练习和互动。为防止被ETS检索,本帖将于公开课开始后设置阅读权限,请大家放心。

考虑到部分同学可能手头上没有习作,这里出一道托福大作文题,请花20分钟写一篇出来贴在这里。
Some people believe that university students should be required to attend classes. Others believe that going to classes should be optional for students. Which point of view do you agree with? Use specific reasons and details to explain your answer.

时间:元月20日星期三晚7点半
参加公开课,请加入QQ群:138584568(一号群517146089已满员,请加2号群138584568)  入群暗号:gter

到开课前最后十分钟还没有习作的同学,请粘贴以下段落作为习作参与互动环节。

When it comes to the quality of learning, I think it is the degree the students master the knowledge which specific level of education requires. With this definition, I fundamentally disagree with the claim that all levels of education are limited by competition. Because different level education has different goals, in my opinion, when learning mostly involves memorizing facts,  appropriate competition for high grades could be an approach to improve the quality of learning, but overemphasizing grades does the opposite, when the purpose of education is comprehension of knowledge and innovation, pursuing high scores can hardly be meaning.

Competition for high scores a method for promoting the quality of learning when it comes to mechanical memorizing. Imagine there is a factory holds a knowledge contest of safety rules which are boring to learn, workers with the highest scores win the contest which has a reward. Workers who win the contest must have mastered the safety rules very well and workers in the contest, through competition for high scores, effectively master the safety rules and apply them in the contest, even in their daily working. In this case, a contest with competition for scores is helpful for improving the quality of learning boring safety rules. And the same is true of junior high school students and below, which their studying mostly involves memorizing the basic facts and formulations, competing for scores could be beneficial to master the basic knowledge which will be the foundation of their future studying.

找自己习作中的错误的句子回帖格式,请保留机读代码。如果找不到请填上nil
所有内容请通过编辑本帖中自己的楼层添加。

<error_type> sentence fragment </error_type>
<incorrect>请找出自己习作中含有sentence fragment错误的句子 放在这里</incorrect>

<error_type> run-on sentence </error_type>
<incorrect>请找出自己习作中含有run-on sentence错误的句子 放在这里</incorrect>

<error_type> subject-verb agreement </error_type>
<incorrect>请找出自己习作中含有subject-verb agreement错误的句子 放在这里</incorrect>  

<error_type> there be miscontruction </error_type>
<seemingly_incorrect>请找出自己习作中含有there be miscontruction错误的句子 放在这里</seemingly_incorrect>  

<error_type> word form </error_type>
<seemingly_incorrect>请找出自己习作中含有sentence fragment错误的句子 放在这里</seemingly_incorrect>  

<error_type> verb noun collocation error</error type>
<seemingly_incorrect>请找出自己习作中含有verb noun collocation error错误的句子 放在这里</seemingly_incorrect>
<collocation_error> 这里填上面句子里的动词和名词原型 如 solve problem</collocation_error>
<COCA_search_term>填上你在COCA里的查找项</COCA_search_term>
<corrected_collocation>这里填上根据COCA查询结果修改后的动词和名词原型</corrected_collocation>

<error_type> adjective noun collocation error</error type>
<seemingly_incorrect>请找出自己习作中含有adjective noun collocation error错误的句子 放在这里</seemingly_incorrect>
<collocation_error>  这里填上上面句子里的形容词和名词 如 difficult problem</collocation_error>  
<corrected_collocation>这里填上根据COCA查询结果修改后的形容词和名词</corrected_collocation>

<error_type> verb adv collocation error</error type>
<seemingly_incorrect>请找出自己习作中含有veb adv collocation error错误的句子 放在这里</seemingly_incorrect>
<collocation_error> 这里填上上面句子里的动词和副词 如 difficult problem</collocation_error>
<corrected_collocation>这里填上根据COCA查询结果修改后的动词和副词</corrected_collocation>  

<error_type> verb preposition collocation error</error type>
<seemingly_incorrect>请找出自己习作中含有veb preposition collocation error错误的句子 放在这里</seemingly_incorrect>
<collocation_error> 这里填上上面句子里的动词和介词 如 run in</collocation_error>
<corrected_collocation>这里填上根据COCA查询结果修改后的动词和介词</corrected_collocation>  

作者: tesolchina    时间: 2016-1-15 21:12:22

本帖最后由 tesolchina 于 2016-1-19 12:17 编辑

请在自己楼层上方贴出授权声明:
本人授权寄托ID tesolchina持有人使用本人的习作及参加本次寄托公开课的练习答案作为科研、教学用途。 - 寄托ID:

请在这里贴上自己的习作

习作类型:托福/GRE issue/ GRE argument (请删去不适用)
题目:

习作正文:  

作者: tibetswan    时间: 2016-1-16 16:24:37

本帖最后由 tibetswan 于 2016-1-20 20:35 编辑

本人授权寄托ID tesolchina持有人使用本人的习作及参加本次寄托公开课的练习答案作为科研、教学用途。 - 寄托ID:tibetswan

GRE argument

题目:A recent study of eighteen rhesus monkeys provides clues as to the effects of birth order on an individual's levels of stimulation The study showed that in stimulating situations (such as an encounter with an unfamiliar monkey), firstborn infant monkeys produce up to twice as much of the hormone cortisol, which primes the body for increased activity levels, as do their younger siblings. Firstborn humans also produce relatively high levels of cortisol in stimulating situations (such as the return of a parent after an absence). Write a response in which you discuss one or more alternative explanations that could rival the proposed explanation and explain how your explanation(s) can plausibly account for the facts presented in the argument.

According to the letter, the study demonstrated the relationship between rhesus monkeys' birth order and individuals' stimulation levels.But there're still alternative explanations accounting for the illustrated phenomenon against that argument.

At the beginning, such assumption should be established on a large size of representative sample in statistics. Due to the experiment in this argument, the sample size of those eighteen chosen rhesus monkeys is too small to represent their entire species. I

Secondly, the original explanation isn't persuasive to verify comparing two species under the same circumstances. The argument mistook human infants' explanation for the reference to rhesus monkeys' similar situation without a controlled experiment, whose result is supposed to be based on keeping all the other variables fixed except for the crucial hormone cortisol level condition.Moreover, the argument didn't explain the physical mechanism related to firstborn humans and firstborn infant monkeys. If there are any differences between those two species, the original explanation will be incorrect. The author should dwell on the cohesion between the human race and rhesus monkeys.

Last but not least, other elements like rhesus monkeys' age, their habitat's environment quality and individuals' differences should also be taken into consideration to the explanation. For example, different age results in various levels of metabolism which will influence an individual's levels of stimulation instead of the birth order. Another instance is the quality of their environment. A terrible habit threatening rhesus monkeys' survival will also increase the hormone cortisol level as a stimulus. Finally, the situation varies from individual to individual. Individuals' difference should also be taken into the explanation. Some individuals incline to be sensitive to the changing environment and react dramatically to the stimulus.

In summary, the argument should explicate relevant experimental statistics, methods and environment. The author had better revaluate the original explanation by excluding all the other critical influential factors before drawing the final conclusion.

作者: kasy    时间: 2016-1-16 18:45:35

本帖最后由 kasy 于 2016-1-21 20:01 编辑

复制老师的

习作类型:托福

题目:Some people believe that university students should be required to attend classes. Others believe that going to classes should be optional for students. Which point of view do you agree with? Use specific reasons and details to explain your answer.

习作正文:
When it comes to the quality of learning, I think it is the degree the students master the knowledge which specific level of education requires. With this definition, I fundamentally disagree with the claim that all levels of education are limited by competition. Because different level education has different goals, in my opinion, when learning mostly involves memorizing facts,  appropriate competition for high grades could be an approach to improve the quality of learning, but overemphasizing grades does the opposite, when the purpose of education is comprehension of knowledge and innovation, pursuing high scores can hardly be meaning.

Competition for high scores a method for promoting the quality of learning when it comes to mechanical memorizing. Imagine there is a factory holds a knowledge contest of safety rules which are boring to learn, workers with the highest scores win the contest which has a reward. Workers who win the contest must have mastered the safety rules very well and workers in the contest, through competition for high scores, effectively master the safety rules and apply them in the contest, even in their daily working. In this case, a contest with competition for scores is helpful for improving the quality of learning boring safety rules. And the same is true of junior high school students and below, which their studying mostly involves memorizing the basic facts and formulations, competing for scores could be beneficial to master the basic knowledge which will be the foundation of their future studying.

作者: MUMU330    时间: 2016-1-17 00:08:02

占座
作者: wz1342322    时间: 2016-1-18 11:13:46

本帖最后由 wz1342322 于 2016-1-20 21:47 编辑

题目:        Do you agree or disagree with the following statement?
Television advertising directed toward young children(aged two five) should not be allowed.
习题正文:Should television advertising which is directed toward young children be allowed? I strongly agree with the speaker's statement, although it seems a reasonable way to advertise the company's products, after careful analysis, it turns out to be of no good for companies, parents and children.
        As advertisements are common to see in nowadays television programs, we often find ads between two TV series, or the break of movies, one might find it hackneyed to see an ad directed toward young children. However, companies which spend money to explore this territory are impolitic, after all, few children whose age falls in the range of two to five has time to watch it, in my observation, they spend most of their time writing their homework or playing with others, despite sometimes watching TV is allowed by their parents. Accordingly, it is safe to say that companies are not likely to receive expected response, which will lead a negligible profit while makes sponsors spend unnecessary investment.
        As for children, watching advertisements that are designed for themselves might lead to negative effects. We know that children aged two to five usually don't have the ability to either earn their own assets, or control the money that belongs to them. Under most circumstances, it is their parents who control the come and go of their money. So even children happen to watch the ad displayed on the TV and are touched by it, they can't afford to buy, which might lead some bad effects on them, such like stealing their parents' money to buy the one they like. After all, they are only children, who have not developed the ability to reasonably balance their desire with reason. For example, when I was young, I watched the TV and had a strong desire to buy a model of an airplane, if my parents didn't exert a great effort to persuade me to give up, I may have bought it and focus on other toy a few days latter.
        With the respect of the parents, as stated above, ads which advertise on the TV may inspire children to unreasonably buy something unpracticed, it is parents' duty to take more care of their children hence an extra effort is needed. I remember at some point I watch a news about a student illegally sold his kidney to buy an iPhone 5, although it is regretful to know that, but meanwhile I am angry with his parents for not finding it before it happened, since children are readily being inspired by the advertisement, parents have to make more efforts to watch out their child.
        In the final analysis, it is ill-conceived for companies to advertise to young children since it is difficult to receive a proper response, it is better to spend effort on parents who have children under age 5, and it is also harmful for both parents and children since it might bring about a bad effect on children and an extra effort to their parents.

<seemingly_incorrect>We know that children aged two to five usually don't have the ability to either earn their own assets, or control the money that belongs to them. Under most circumstances, it is their parents who control the come and go of their money.</seemingly_incorrect>
<collocation_error> earn thier asset</collocation_error>
<COCA_search_term>[v*] [asset]</COCA_search_term>
<corrected_collocation>acquire asset</corrected_collocation>

作者: chbang    时间: 2016-1-18 12:12:13

本帖最后由 chbang 于 2016-1-20 21:36 编辑

请在自己楼层上方贴出授权声明:
本人授权寄托ID tesolchina持有人使用本人的习作及参加本次寄托公开课的练习答案作为科研、教学用途。 - 寄托ID:chbang

请在这里贴上自己的习作

题目:

习作正文:  

Though traveling with a tour guide in a group now becomes more and more popular and is accepted by large amount of people who want to spend a relaxing holiday or honeymoon. I stick that travel without a tour guide is the right way to acquire an enjoyable travel.
To begin with, travel with a group may be expensive and awful. Travel angency often charge much more than it need to make a profit. In fact, if we spend the same amount of money on traveling by ourselves, we can get better experience. For example, I went to Beijin, the capitan of China with a tour group to see the Great Wall last summer vacation. I spent one thousand dollars for the tree day trip. However, I had a bad experience in these three days. I lived in a three-star hotel without wifi connection and there was no hot water supply to the guest. I took the bath with cold water for three days and got a cold when I backed home. The tour guide wasn't so nice as I imaged, he just took us to lots of souvenir shops and forced to buy the souvenirs in the shop. We only got a twenty minutes's stay on the Great Wall the last day and I fadn't even had enough time to take pictures! Last month, I went to Beijin again just by myself, I ordered a five-star hotel near the Great Wall, I can even see tourist climbing the steps from my room. What's more, the five-star hotel was amazingly great. There was a swimming pool with warm water on the top of the hotel and I can swim in the pool without paying. I stay a whole day on the Great Wall and had taken hundreds of pictures with friends I acquired during my self-guided trip. The third day, I went to Tian'an Men Square and entered the forbidden city. That was another fantastic day. What suprised me was that I only spent five hundred dollars for this wonderful trip, which was only half I had spent with the tour group.
Saving money and having good experience isn't the only benefit of tour with no guide. One can do whatever he want or make lots of friends if he travels alone. Just image this, you come across with a beatiful Britan girl when you are visiting the campus of the Oxford University. The girl smiled at you and you want to go ahead to say Hi. Then the rude, boring tour guide just comes to you and push you to another destinatin. What a shame of that! If you are just traveling alone, you can simply feel free and talk to her, maybe it is just the beginning of you true love! Sadly, you are taken away by the guide, with your crush to that girl.
From the analysis above, I strongly disagree with the idea that the best way to trravel is in a group led by a tour guide.
作者: kinyapop    时间: 2016-1-18 12:50:20

我也先买个楼,虽然自己不住。
作者: 天天羊言    时间: 2016-1-18 12:52:28

本帖最后由 天天羊言 于 2016-1-20 22:47 编辑

本人授权寄托ID tesolchina持有人使用本人的习作及参加本次寄托公开课的练习答案作为科研、教学用途。
寄托ID:天天羊言

习作类型:GRE issue

题目:Issue 97
Colleges and universities should require their students to spend at least one semester studying in a foreign country.

Write a response in which you discuss the extent to which you agree or disagree with the claim. In developing and supporting your position, be sure to address the most compelling reasons and/or examples that could be used to challenge your position.

习作正文:
I disagree with the statement that colleges need to require their students to spend some time studying abroad. First, it is difficult to undertake the expenditure for students with financial limitations; moreover, learning in a foreign country is not quite helpful for the students studying on many fields such as national literature or archeology. While some people argue that the opportunities of global exchange program or studying visiting will broaden our academic horizons, this standpoint may be suitable for certain disciplines.

To begin with, the requirement is hardly to meet for students without enough financial supports. Because studying abroad needs to take on a large number of expenditures including many programs such as flight expense, domiciling expense and tuition fee, which can take up large parts for a common family. Maybe there are some allowances like scholarship or fellowship, which will cover most of tuition expense and miscellaneous fees. But the number of these opportunities is always limited, which means there are still many students, who derive from the common family, can not have access to undertaking the abroad expenditures.

In addition, studying in a foreign country will not provide much help for many academic fields, which usually have obvious specialties related to the domestic, such as national literature or archeology. Consider the archeology as an example. This discipline is most related to the ancient recording materials and geographical characteristics about the domestic regions; obviously these researches are most abundant in the domestic. Under this kind of conditions, it is the most possible to come into contact with the top research for staying in the domestic, while studying abroad is difficult to arrive at this academic goal.

Although some people argue that participating in some programs about studying abroad like global exchange or studying visiting will broaden students’ horizons. Considering the reasons above-mentioned, we can deduce that this policy is just suitable for some students in certain disciplines such as international trade, comparative literature or foreign languages. Therefore, this statement should be proposed as a suggestion to some studying fields, which just provide the guide or subsidy for encouraging, rather than formulated as a requirement, which means it is necessary to do.

In conclusion, while the policy about studying in a foreign country will broaden the horizons, for students with financial limitations and some disciplines are not appropriate to research abroad, colleges should not require their students to spend some time and a large number of moneys on this requirement. Maybe treating it as a suggestion rather than a requirement is a better choice.

<incorrect>nil</incorrect>

<seemingly_incorrect>there are still many students, who derive from the common family, can not have access to undertaking the abroad expenditures.</seemingly_incorrect>  

<seemingly_incorrect>nil</seemingly_incorrect>

<error_type> verb noun collocation error</error type>
<seemingly_incorrect>请找出自己习作中含有verb noun collocation error错误的句子 放在这</seemingly_incorrect>
<collocation_error> 这里填上面句子里的动词和名词原型 如 solve problem</collocation_error>
<corrected_collocation>这里填上根据COCA查询结果修改后的动词和名词原型</corrected_collocation>

<error_type> adjective noun collocation error</error type>
<seemingly_incorrect>请找出自己习作中含有adjective noun collocation error错误的句子 放在这</seemingly_incorrect>
<collocation_error>  这里填上上面句子里的形容词和名词 如 difficult problem</collocation_error>  
<corrected_collocation>这里填上根据COCA查询结果修改后的形容词和名词</corrected_collocation>

<error_type> verb adv collocation error</error type>
<seemingly_incorrect>请找出自己习作中含有veb adv collocation error错误的句子 放在这里</seemingly_incorrect>
<collocation_error> 这里填上上面句子里的动词和副词 如 difficult problem</collocation_error>
<corrected_collocation>这里填上根据COCA查询结果修改后的动词和副词</corrected_collocation>  

<error_type> verb preposition collocation error</error type>
<seemingly_incorrect>请找出自己习作中含有veb preposition collocation error错误的句子 放在这里</seemingly_incorrect>
<collocation_error> 这里填上上面句子里的动词和介词 如 run in</collocation_error>
<corrected_collocation>这里填上根据COCA查询结果修改后的动词和介词</corrected_collocation>  
作者: wavedzl    时间: 2016-1-18 21:48:20

本帖最后由 wavedzl 于 2016-1-20 12:56 编辑

寄托ID:wavedzl

习作类型:托福独立作文
题目:Do you agree or disagree with the following statement?
At university and colleges, sports and social activities are just as important as classes and should receive equal financial support.

Use specific reasons and examples to support your answer.

It’s not uncommon for us to know that university and colleges pay the considerable money to buttress classes. Some universities think classes are more important than sports and social activities because students should concentrate on classes to get good grades. But I believe that sports and social activities are just as important as classes to get equal financial support.

To begin with, students are supposed to participant in sports and social activities to keep healthy so that they can keep a good condition in the class. We can always find some sick students in the class, which show us that they may not get enough exercise to strength their body. Therefore, health is a key factor for study good in class. For instance, we can play some sports such as basketball, soccer, and ping-pang ball during leisure time, which will be beneficial to us.

Further, spending enough time to exercise your body after class will make your life more efficient.
If you feel tired after a long time class, why not refresh yourself by taking part in the social activities?  That will definitely boost your efficient. I always keep a balance between class and sports like running, which result me a good grade and strong body.

In addition, it’s believed that you can expand your friend circle by joining the social activities. A good friend can share our sorrow and happiness, they may also help you in your future career. You may acquire many new knowledge through different sports and activities. Therefore, it’s reasonable that school should buttress sports and activities as well as class in financial aid.

Overall, in order to keep a healthy body, boost your efficient, and make more friends. The university and colleges are supposed to concentrate on social activities as well as class and give both of them enough money to build a good environment for students.

作者: Catherine_hope    时间: 2016-1-19 09:27:36

本帖最后由 Catherine_hope 于 2016-1-20 22:17 编辑

本人授权寄托ID tesolchina持有人使用本人的习作及参加本次寄托公开课的练习答案作为科研、教学用途。 - 寄托ID:Catherine_hope

习题类型:GRE issue

"As we acquire more knowledge, things do not become more comprehensible, but more complex and more mysterious."

Helping people to have more information about the world and to have a deeper understanding of the principle of thing, knowledge is the best thing past from one generation to another. Knowledge is a fantastic tool to make things more comprehensible. Meanwhile, however, knowledge can also make the things more complex and more mysterious than what we previously thought.

Knowledge is helpful in our recognition process of an unfamiliar thing by giving us a clearer look of things, which turned out to be more comprehensible. For example, when a person is wondering how we see the world, he can just search the internet and find out it is eye to sense the light reflect by the object and then transfer the signal to brain where an image is formed. In this way, the seeming unimaginable process of seeing an object is made to be comprehensible and imaginable to us.

Although knowledge gives us a clearer look of things and can make things to be more comprehensible, it also gives us more detail of things and makes them turn out to be more complex and more mysterious in the same time. The process of seeing an object can be understood by the cooperation of eye and brain. But here more questions come out. How do signals transferred from eye to brain? How could brain turn the signal into image? How can the image be formed in brain? Much more questions make the problem to be more difficult. It is a common phenomenon that people always raise more questions as they know more about a certain field. As we know more, we find ourselves unknown more.

Knowledge just provides us a paradoxical result at the same time, making our recognition process of an unfamiliar thing to be easier and more difficult. Consider, for another case, microscope give researchers more details about the basic element of a cell. With the scientific knowledge, the way of how cell absorbs energy and releases useless thing is understood. The theory about the role of cells in an organism is settled. On the one hand, researchers can have a clearer understand of how component in the cell organized and cooperate in a cell. The working procedure in a cell is conceivable and comprehensible to researchers. On the other hand, new questions come out and make researchers be puzzled again. What controls the components to work together? What makes the cell to recognize the subject it need? More mystery and problems are introduced as the knowledge provide by microscope emerged even though knowledge makes things to be more understandable.

作者: Catherine_hope    时间: 2016-1-19 09:28:13

本帖最后由 Catherine_hope 于 2016-1-21 21:32 编辑

习题类型:GRE argument

题目:
Woven baskets characterized by a particular distinctive pattern have previously been found only in the immediate vicinity of the prehistoric village of Palea and therefore were believed to have been unique to the Palean people. Recently, however, archaeologists discovered such a 'Palean' basket in Lithos, an ancient village across the BrimRiver from Palea. The BrimRiver is very deep and broad, and so the ancient Paleans could only have crossed it by boat, but there is no evidence that the Paleans had boats. And boats capable of carrying groups of people and cargo were not developed until thousands of years after the Palean people disappeared. Moreover, Paleans would have had no need to cross the river ?the woods around Palea are full of nuts, berries, and small game. It follows that the so-called Palean baskets were not unique to Palea. Discuss how well reasoned you find this argument.

正文:
The argument is well-presented, but not thoroughly well-reasoned. By arguing no Palean boats has been found, the only way to cross Brim River from Palea to Lithos, the argument that the Palean baskets found in Lithos were not uniquely Palean seems logical.

However, other possible alternatives to take the Palean baskets from Palean to Lithos are failing to be considered. Such alternatives may include the way that the baskets floated across the river by themselves from Palean and were found by people in Lithos, or that Lithos people made boat and then came to Palean bringing back the baskets. It was also possible for other people who traveled by boat and passed by Palean to take the baskets from Palean to Lithos. It appears reasonable that the Palean baskets found in Lithos were made from Palean.

Even if one accepts that  boat is the only way to cross the river, the argument remains questionable. No discovery of boat couldn't prove that boat doesn’t exist. It is mentioned that the village of Palea is prehistoric, belong to a time so long ago that material at that time like wood would already rotten away. So if boats were made in such easily rotten material, they would surely disappear as time goes by. Even if boats could resist decay, they may lie deep in the river bed or somewhere in the place we haven’t searched. It is possible that Palean has already got the technic to made a boat and then taken the basket to Lithos to exchange for food or something else or just sent them to people at there for friendship. In this argument, no evidence has been rendered to prove if Palean process the making- boat ability. Did they have tools like axe to cut down big trees? Was there good material like bamboo to make a boat?

In addition, the argument fall to consider the changing geography shape of a certain area. The argument hasn’t provide details about the prehistoric shape of Brim river between Palea and Lithos. The geography of a certain area isn’t constant during such a long time under the influence of environmental factors such like weather, temperature. There may have been a time, such as during long time no-rain weather condition, when much less or no water was in the Brim river area and therefore the river was small and shallow or even didn’t exist. So Palean people at that time can easily cross this area by foot and exchange material with people from Lithos. If so, more details needed to be provided about the geography condition of this area.

In conclusion, the argument, while it seems logical at first, has several flaws as discussed above. We should investigate more details to prove that the Palean basket found in Lithos was not made in Palea. Without ruling out the influence of these, we could not conclude that the Palean basket isn’t unique in Palea, which would mislead our effort of research and make us get wrong conclusion.
作者: 多多洛71    时间: 2016-1-19 09:55:54

本帖最后由 多多洛71 于 2016-1-20 19:52 编辑

寄托ID:多多洛71

托福作文: Your community has a piece of land and is considering introducing a business to this land. Which business would you prefer? 1. A shopping mall 2. A performing art center 3. A hotel.

When it comes to which business I prefer to be introduced to our community, I will choose a shopping mall undoubtedly. I find several solid reasons as follows.

To begin with, I think our community in need of a shopping mall. Economy have developed rapidly these years, with people's income also have increased substantially in our community. So only one supermarket and several shops cannot meet people's needs anymore. Sometimes we have to go to the downtown to buy clothing or other goods, which is inconvenient since the downtown is far away from our community. Except the increased income of people living there, the population of the community also has grown apparently. Now many people from other places have moved to our community because of the excellent location and the convenient public transportation there. So we do need a shopping mall to meet our daily demand.

What's more, a shopping mall can create more jobs for local people and increase the revenue of local government. If the shopping mall have been constructed, numerous shops would be opened. Each shop need employees, and the shop mall need many managers to make it work regularly. In addition, a shopping mall will attract large numbers of people to go there. A lot of visitors will consume at there, and they will increase the revenue to our local government.

Admittedly, I also want a performing art center to be built in our community, and a hotel is not bad too. But a shopping mall is the best choice considering the current situation of our community. I think we should first meet the needs of daily consumption of people there, not to mention that there is a performing art center in the nearby community.  Furthermore, because our community has no big shopping mall, there are few visitors. So a hotel is unnecessary at all. Only after a shopping mall has been built, would a lot of people visited there or even moved to there, then we might in need of an art performing center and a hotel in our community.

For reasons mentioned above, I do insist that we should introduce a shopping mall at first.

谢谢老师~
作者: pengzilin961017    时间: 2016-1-19 11:53:52

占座
作者: 逆鳞菌是格子控    时间: 2016-1-19 13:11:11

占位

作者: Undemonstrative    时间: 2016-1-19 14:51:21

When it come to the dispute whether students should be scheduled to attend each class in the university, opinions may vary a lot. Someone holds the belief that students should be required to attend classes, while others point out class should be optional for students. On a personal note, students deserve the freedom to decide whether to attend the class.
Attending every class is the regular learning pattern we experience during the past time of our life. There are several reasons that we preferred this kind of pattern. First of all, for some students, the learning efficiency is higher when he attends the class and follow the context than that when he learn by himself. In addition, when attending class, a student is confronted with the pressure from the teacher and the competition from his classmates. However, we may need to realize that force the students to attend every class also has its feet of clay.
Actually, we have to admit that the intelligence level among the students is different, thus the learning ability also varies a lot. As an excellent student, the class he is forced to attend is just a waste of time, during which he could have done more further research on the subject he found more fascinating. As an important role in the development of education, university administrators should be responsible for those elites. Only when the freedom to decide whether to attend a class is given to the students can the top students fully develop their potential.
Apart from that, since college students are mainly adults, they should already possess the ability to manage their time and be conscious about his academic conditions. If he finds that he is weak in some subject, he should attend that class on his initiative rather than rely on the schedule planned by the school. So I think the university should not plan the time for the minority who are not aware of whether he should attend the class at the expense of the time of elites.
In sum, although both the statement in the topic are not perfect, I think make class optional can get better results in the education, especially to the elites. So I firmly stand for the argument, and hold the belief that it is high time for the college administrators to change their former practice.

作者: Villani    时间: 2016-1-19 16:47:27

先占座
作者: 蓝涩__    时间: 2016-1-19 17:01:55

本帖最后由 蓝涩__ 于 2016-1-20 16:52 编辑

Some people believe that university students should be required to attend classes. Others believe that going to classes should be optional for students. Which point of view do you agree with? Use specific reasons and details to explain your answer.

Attending to class is a key element in the process of learning, while some people may advocate that attending classes sometimes is not the best choice. In my opinion, whether university students should be required attend classes or not depends on the charecter of the class and the reason they get absence.

For theoratical subject like math or physics, attending to class is necessary, student who miss only one lesson may find hard to catch up with professor's pace. Last semester, I have to take a seminar to another city, so I miss a class of real analysis. When I came back, I suddenly felt like never have took real analysis before, because I have no idea about many key concept the class discuss that day. Therefore, miss a class in theoratical subject may cause a catastropic result. Actually, the purpose of we take theoratical subjects is to learn knowledge, and the best way to get a sound basis on a certain field is to take class and get exercise, which is a unreplacable process.

On the other hand, in some practical class, It's okay to missing one or two class, because they're easy, and the pace is very slow, these classes include like: music appreciation, business management, English literture history and so on. That kind of classes are not so sequence and easy to get a high score once you have tough final review time. Practical subject should never force a student to sit down and take classes. The secrets of success on Steve Jobbs, Bill Gates or Kobe Bryant are never be they're taking excellent bussiness, management or basketball class, the key element of grasping a pratical skill is out of university in most of cases, requiring students to attending practical classes sometimes is unreasonable.

We all known that time are limited, If students have important and meanful event to finished, I will support them to miss some classes approperately. However, some Teenagers are lack of self control abilities while some are relatively mature. I do recommand students try to attending every class rather than let themselves loose and playing computer games like Dota and LOL.

作者: 光霁    时间: 2016-1-19 20:38:11

本帖最后由 光霁 于 2016-1-20 21:20 编辑

Do you agree or disagree with the following statement: Younger school children (aged five to ten) should be required to study art and music in addition to math, language, science and history.

Nobody can deny that art and music play important roles in our daily life and different people have different talent and hobby. Most of time, young children don't know what they really like,thus making them study various skills vitally. I agree with the statement because it can help children find what they prefer to do when they grow up.
Some people may claim that the most crucial thing for children is play and they should not be required to learn all kinds of knowledge. Studying art and music will increase children burdens. In my opinion,at primary school, students learn the most basic knowledge and skills and teachers can help children memorize those knowledge when they play games with children.It won't make children under too much pressure. Meanwhile, if children are required to study art and music, they will be required to learn less about history,science and math, which most children think is more boring.When I was little, I dislike history the most because there many things to memorize and reading history book will make me feel sleepy.
Study art and music will help students find what they really like and what they want to do in future. When I was in primary school,I had never learned something about art and music.However, when I entered university, I joined a music club and I found music is the most interesting thing in the world.I am a little regretful. If I find I like music easier, I will have more time practice my music skills. Nowadays, in my university, I have a lot of assignments, such as presentation, paper work , and group work, to accomplish. I don't have enough time to learn about this field.So it is the case with other students like me.
Furthermore,art and music class can help children learn how to appreciate aesthetic things in the world, which is very vital to their future development.Many adults complain about their daily life nowadays because they don't learn appreciation. If they study art or music when they was little,they can learn how to relax themselves and they will be grateful to the world. Art and music can also help the alleviate pressure and help them work with higher efficiency.
To conclude, I agree with the statement because children can benefit a lot. It can help people unveil potentials and learn how to appreciate the real world.

作者: morning2014    时间: 2016-1-19 21:52:13

老师,这篇托福作文我花了半小时写完。
Recently there is a hot topic about whether students should be required to attend classes at university. Some people think that they should be attend classes as university requested, while others contend that students should choose their classes. In my opinion, I agree with the former one, because of the following reasons.
First and foremost, it is good for the students to attend classes as required. Because the classes are open to teach the students some knowledge and skills, preparing them for their career after graduation. Imagine if the university students do not attend their classes, it will become meaningless to go to university because the education cannot help them to get what they should learn.
What’s more, students should abide by the order of the university, which also helps the university to complete its task. The university has its teaching plan to different classes and the students should be required to satisfy the requirement of the university. Or it may put the university out of the order.
Actually the students have chance to choose what they like to learn. For example, before enrolling at the university, they could choose the major they love. Furthermore, they also have options to attend some elective courses they are interested in. Therefore it is not cogent to hold the later viewpoints.
To sum up, I think that students should choose the university and the major they want to go to, and then are required to attend the classes.

作者: law1990    时间: 2016-1-19 22:17:14

本人授权寄托ID tesolchina持有人使用本人的习作及参加本次寄托公开课的练习答案作为科研、教学用途。 - 寄托ID:law1990

题目:  Do you agree or disagree with the following statement? All school teachers should be required to attend some courses every five years to update their knowledge.

习作正文:  The milieu of modern society has generated a principle that teachers play an indispensable role in children's lives. . When it comes to whether teachers should be demanded to take relevant courses every five years to improve themselves, people's perspectives vary from person to person. Some hold that school teachers always need to attend some courses to update their knowledge in order to teach the students better. Nonetheless, from a glance at the current social circumstance, I find myself in a complete concordance with people's personal inclination that some teachers do not need to refresh their knowledge while other should update frequently. The following is my detail analysis.

First and foremost, the major reason for my propensity is that the classes taught by primary and middle school teachers are mostly basic disciplines like math and history, which are quite fixed and rarely changed in decades. In other words, teachers in primary and middle school do not need to update their professional knowledge. Instead, they should pay more attention to adopt new and innovative teaching methods because most young children have difficulty in learning. My neighbor Mike is an illustrating example. Mike has been a middle school math teacher for over 20 years and he is quite familiar with the formulas and theorems in the books. To be specific, when asked about a random formula, he can tell you which page in the math book the formula is in. In his spare time, Mike considers about how to make the students understand the lesson better and how to improve his teaching method. It is his familiarity with the math textbook and proper teaching method made his students at the top of the rank in school. We can see from Mike that some teachers should focus on more effective aspects rather than updating their knowledge, which they do not always need to.

To boot, noteworthy is the fact that teacher teachers in universities are supposed to be respond to the cutting-edge technology and newest theories, so they need to keep learning and updating their knowledge. However, five years are too long for them. If they are merely familiar with technology and theory five years ago, they will would not be able to conduct experiments and their expertise might be questioned by their students. For example, my Civil Law professor read latest civil regulations and cases every day in order to have an accurate understanding with the law. Also, when the government released a new policy or revised a regulation, which is very frequently, he will study it immediately and elaborate them in the courses for us. In a word, college teachers and professors should refresh their mind by keeping study every day and taking some courses frequently instead of every five years.

By and large, we should distinguish different types of teachers when considering whether they should update their knowledge. Only when primary school and middle school teachers are familiar with their fixed discipline knowledge and find the best way to teach can students acquire the knowledge effectively. Besides, teachers in college should update their knowledge frequently in accordance with the development of the technology and the latest theories.

作者: law1990    时间: 2016-1-19 22:18:48

本帖最后由 law1990 于 2016-1-20 21:40 编辑

谢谢老师~~

< incorrect> When it comes to the quality of learning, I think it is the degree the students master the knowledge which specific level of education requires.</incorrect>

< error_type> run-on sentence </error_type>
< incorrect> Because different level education has different goals,</incorrect>

< error_type> subject-verb agreement </error_type>
< incorrect> With this definition, I fundamentally disagree with the claim that all levels of education are limited by competition.</incorrect>  

作者: U201514770    时间: 2016-1-19 23:38:50

People’s views on this topic whether college students should be required to attend every single class vary from person to person. Therefore I have some thoughts upon it that may have no common with yours. In all, I agree with the latter view that we should have our own choices among so many classes.
As you can see, so many student choose not to attend some classes sometimes because they’re not necessary all the time. What’ more, we are capable enough to learn some objects by ourselves. As a result, it’s not necessary for everyone to attend this class because it’s just a waste of time and energy. For example, my roommate has so many things to deal with, so she doesn’t have enough time to attend every class in time. What is important is that she has learned those objects during her spare time. For her, she didn’t miss any points that we should know well. In addition, she has received a lot of knowledge out of class which really enriched her life.
From what I have talked above, I think we should have the rights to choose whether to go to class. All in all, study is of great importance for us.
作者: KobWong    时间: 2016-1-20 00:12:02

本人授权寄托ID tesolchina持有人使用本人的习作及参加本次寄托公开课的练习答案作为科研、教学用途。 - 寄托ID:KobWong

习作类型:GRE ISSUE

题目:Some people believe that government funding of the arts is necessary to ensure that the arts can flourish and be available to all people. Others believe that government funding of the arts threatens the integrity of the arts.

Governments should fund art genre in danger within a fair and open ranking-system.
As a wild concept, art has mainly two functions: first, as a non-motivated creation, it can exhibit one’s imaginations, mysterious experiences and aesthetic ideas like harmony, balance and rhythm; second, a motivated creation, aim at communications, entertainments and political publicities.
Some sustain that governments should not put their hands on arts and subsidize them. Due to the limited budget, it is not real for a government to fund all kinds of genres; this will result in a selection, the main problem. In most cases, such a selection can only result in the fact that only the art form of which main idea conforms the mainstream defined by the government can be funded; we cannot imagine the US of last century would be willing to sponsor artists of anarchism like Dadaism, or nihilism like hippies. And if the government offers a funding, toadies are surely motivated to produce “arts” likely to be sponsored. This can be a disaster towards art, a flower only flourishes on the land of freedom.
But, think about Jean François Millet and Vincent van Gough, extraordinary artists whose value are greatly appreciated by the descendant, but ignored by the contemporary. They dead young in poverty, no one supported them, or bought their works. It indicates that administrative support is helpful, governments should sponsor arts. First of all, since personal donation will not incline to arts of which creations require a long term under market economy, the burden of maintaining civilization symbols come to governments. Secondary, government funding of the arts will help improve the organizational arrangement and structures within the arts institution so that they are able to better respond to needs, and to interact more effectively within the society, including the micro society which contributes to arts creation and competitiveness more generally. Government funding of arts will also create a widespread, systematic and rapid transfer of new ideas, new works and profits generated within the arts, which will attract investors.
France occupies the most developed art film industries, and this is the result of its policies good for artists. As far back as 1959, France had passed Film Funding Bill, and established National Film Center to execute it. Besides, as one of the most civilized nations, France has believed a creed call “Cultural exception”, i.e. the idea that cultural enterprise should avoid market’s monarch and obey logic and standards uniquely for arts. This turns out to be a set of subsidies and quota system to protect domestic film industries.
While distributing art creation funds, government should give art value priorities, other than political considerations or commercial values. Besides, it should also guarantee a fair and transparent ranking system. Furthermore, as almost all constitutions in this world give their citizens freedom of creation, unless solid and concrete evidences of negative social influence are found, government should respect artists’ spirit of independence, since freedom cultivates artistic integrity.  

作者: Villani    时间: 2016-1-20 12:18:00

本帖最后由 Villani 于 2016-1-20 20:23 编辑
Villani 发表于 2016-01-19 16:47
先占座
本人授权寄托ID tesolchina持有人使用本人的习作及参加本次寄托公开课的练习答案作为科研、教学用途。 As is known to all,the common practice for universities to carry out is to require the students to attend classes.Over the years we have witnessed the praise and abuse of public about it.We are also conscious that both advantages and drawbacks lie in the practice.However,on the whole I choose to become an advocate of the notion that taking class is compulsory.
Firstly,in the class students may feel the pressure from the teacher and also from his classmates,in order to perform better,he may feel obliged to learn in a more conscientious way,which gives rise to higher learning efficiency than learning relaxedly.
Also when we come across problems in the class,we can immediately discuss with our classmates or turn to the tutor for help.Those immediate feedbacks are what we always fail to obtain while learning ourselves.Thirdly,situations are such that students who claim to study some courses by themselves end up wasting their time in the dormitory or being at a loss what to do.
Nevertheless,we should also be aware that the other proposed idea,that classes should be optional is also reasonable.
Invariably we come to realize that there are elites as well as ones who are mediocre.The quantity of elites is relatively small,but it doesn't mean that we should ignore their needs.Instead we should provide them the opportunity to choose their own way to learn,since they tend to be more efficient learning theirselves.
To make a conclusion,I think students should be required to take class.But the elites should have the chance to fight for their privilege of choosing to go to class optionally.
作者: chengxiaowen    时间: 2016-1-20 13:05:49

本帖最后由 chengxiaowen 于 2016-1-20 18:51 编辑

本人授权寄托ID tesolchina持有人使用本人的习作及参加本次寄托公开课的练习答案作为科研、教学用途。 - 寄托ID:chengxiaowen

思路:同意必修
1.感兴趣的课有可能对专业没用
2.固定的班级对学习有更大的帮助
3.某些专业的课程课时固定的才能达到效果

I expected to choose the classes which I may be interested in before,however,I agree with the statement that students should be urged to take in compulsory courses.
Indeed, admittedly,students nowadays increasingly enjoy freedom to choose what they admire.It’s the truth that they cannot tell the compulsory courses from elective courses, especially for the freshmen.Maybe they just make decisions for the easier courses to make fun.It’s hard for them to make the most appropriate choice and they would get some unnecessary courses for their major.The teaching affairs should set the course descriptions and plans for the students.
Also when they have some questions to disscuss with others,it makes more opportunities for them to exchange information and views.Most of time,individuals are willing to communicate with their classmates.When they meet
Let's take a medical college student as an example.Generally,students in medicine major should spend mush of time on reading and appreciating anatomy,physiology and pharmacology.Yet,the student favors more on surgery.He may contributes most to the surgery,though the medicine is really a complexed major at large.A student is accepted a quality of lessons to lay a solid foundation for himself to be an excellent doctor in the future.
In a word,it is reasonable to arrange most of the lessons for students and we can get more chance for them to choose some elective courses to broaden their horizon.
作者: 雪儿_Cindy    时间: 2016-1-20 15:58:37

本人授权寄托ID tesolchina持有人使用本人的习作及参加本次寄托公开课的练习答案作为科研、教学用途。 - 寄托ID:雪儿_Cindy
文章类型:GRE Issue
题目:15) Educational institutions should actively encourage their students to choose fields of study that will prepare them for lucrative careers.
Write a response in which you discuss the extent to which you agree or disagree with the claim. In developing and supporting your position, be sure to address the most compelling reasons and/or examples that could be used to challenge your position.
文本:
Nowadays, there's a great tendency that people prefer to choose the jobs that can make more money. In this case, some maintain that it is the educational institutions' responsibility to help people preparing for lucrative careers. However, I am not the supporter of this view since it's irrational and infeasible for the organizations that should aim to promote the well-being of humanity to do so. Moreover, it's also unfair and harmful for the long-term developments of students.
Firstly, It is irrational to ask the education institutions to deviate from their main goal, which should be inspiring their students to find who they are and giving them knowledge and skills. Back to the old time, when schools came into being, it were places that scholars discussed philosophy questions and academic issues,not how to making profits. While now the purpose of education should not be changed and the institutions should still focus on helping students to become a better person instead of setting priority to money making instruction.
Secondly, it is infeasible to figure out which field is going to be profitable in the future for every student. it's hard to say what will happen to the market and which area will be dominant after a period of time since everything changes so rapidly nowadays. For instances, the steel factories which were prosperous decades ago are beginning to decay recent years, salesmen who could earn quite a lot money may face the challenge from the burgeoning online shopping system, etc. Teachers and advisors are not prophets, how can they make sure which field will give the students the lucrative careers for their whole life? Thus, it is unpractical to ask the educational institution to tell the students to prepare the so-called lucrative careers.
Last but not the least, money won't definitely bring happiness to everyone. It is unfair for students who are pursuing for academic achievements in science or humanity developments in arts rather than earning more money to be encouraged to learn other majors they are not really interested in. Even if they believe the adverts and choose the fields that are supposed to help them make more money, it may just a temporary joy. However, they may find themselves lack the long-term development, which will be a side effects of the encouragement to only learn for profits.
To sum up, educational institutions should not encourage students to jockey for the more money without pursuing their own dreams, which is not only against to the function of education, but also may lead to truly failing for the students.

从开始审题到完成,实际用时1小时12分钟。。。缺练啊
作者: tibetswan    时间: 2016-1-20 16:00:23

本人授权寄托ID tesolchina持有人使用本人的习作及参加本次寄托公开课的练习答案作为科研、教学用途。 - 寄托ID:tibetswan

类型:托福大作文
题目:
正文:
      Although there is a debate about whether attending classes should be optional, I agree with the point that students should attend classes to achieve their academic goals.
    To begin with, students need high GPA to prove their qualifications when they plan to find jobs or apply for graduate schools. No one can deny the truth that students attending classes tend to become more clarified about the requirements of those curriculums and usually have better average academic performance than those who do not, let alone in some cases the attendance itself can be a part of assessment when academic performance is valued. In many professors' view,  students incline to abuse their time and energy if they are absent from their classes.
    Moreover, students attending classes will benefit from face-to-face communication. When students feel puzzled about the lectures, they can propose their questions on the spot when professors want some instant feedbacks asking "Any questions?". Another case is when professors organize discussions in groups on certain topics, students will learn a lot from brain storming in mutual talks. Compared with studying alone with learning materials, you will gain prompt response from experts to settle your problems, as well as inspiring yourself and learning from others in a group discussion in a live lecture. Isn't that amazing?
    Last but not least, students will know better about discipline if attending classes is required. They are assumed to attend classes with no excuses according to the school rules. They should learn to follow the discipline which will make them accustomed to similar occasions after school no matter how much reluctant they truly are.
    In conclusion, students will benefit in many aspects if they are required to attend classes. Attending classes is a better choice for students to gain knowledge rather than a compulsory requirement to finish school.
作者: shingle    时间: 2016-1-20 16:00:34

本帖最后由 shingle 于 2016-1-20 21:57 编辑

寄托ID:shingle

Technology, while apparently aimed to simplify our lives, only makes our lives more complicated.

Fundementally,I agree with the statement that  technologies,which supposed to simplify our lives,are now culminate in bringing more complexity.
    Given the a glance of our normal life, and it's technology everywhere.In  our modern lives,when a typical office guy,who works in a urban city, choose a vehicle to commute to workplace, he or she may use a automobile,instead of horse drive,and latter one may be the common choice several hundred years ago.Admittedly, in terms of the convenience that technology has brought to us,it did simplify our lives and acompolish this goal in an unprecedented way.
    However,throughout human's history,no matter we are making progress,or unfortunately we are stepping back,problems,every sort of problems just keep increasing all the time.For example,we human being leave the era of water gas maybe 500 years ago,and replace it with oil,and now the oil is on its way to extinction,this situation may seems to a new complexity in someone's eyes.Nevertheless,it's a bit negative in my points,and I would rather call it new challenge.
    In the process of technology innovation,maybe it creates indeed some byproducts,but who can say it's merely problems.If we only treat it as problem,and all we focus is how to eliminate problem,making things easy and comfortable,we may lose something serious at the same time.Why not treat it like inspiration ?
    Notwithstanding that technology did keep driving us into some compeletely new drama,and the difficulty seems to be increasing too,importantly,we human are changing our own lives by our own will.It's more important,isn't it?

作者: joewoo198256    时间: 2016-1-20 17:37:52

GRE Issue:

In any profession—business, politics, education, government—those in power should step down after five years.

For any establishments the man in power is a crucial role to play, be it a high school, a company, a government or the Congress. It is argued that in order to prevent corruption, inaction, rent-seeking or power abuse, there should be a maximum years for the man in charge to stay in power. But is it realistic to set a universal formula for all kinds of institutions, like five years? Not necessarily. I believe five years is a relatively short time for a CEO or a high school principal to make his/her mark and deliver his/her contributions, but for a government official or a politician, five years may be long enough to test his suitability for the job, any time longer may leads to unwanted consequences.
Let’s talk about the leadership in enterprises first. Every time a new CEO is inaugurated he has a whole package of plans to pitch: the vision in five of ten years, the profitability goal, the expansion scheme, the downsize possibility and the preventions the company must take to avoid falling behind. Honestly speaking, this is not easy job. Every CEO has two masters to serve: the stockholders and the employees. The former wants profit-maximization, the latter wants stability and reasonable salary-increase. In order to do both jobs well, he needs time to test his plan, to find out the problems, to fine-tune an existed production process and to evaluate opportunities. The stock price and the financial statements will be his score card: if it looks good, why bother to change the whole leadership after certain years? If it is not, it is not the end of world, give him some time, trust his ability to make change until proved otherwise. So why we should set a stiff standard and act like a robot?
As to education, I believe stability is crucial and frequent change of management does not benefit the school. Take the high-school principal for example: A principal’s education concept set the stage for the succeeding development of the school. But in order to formulate a time-tested concept, the principal needs to do a lot of groundwork: talk to teachers to find out what is the major obstacles facing the students; talk to the students to discover which subjects they find most difficult to conquer; talk to the administrative staffs to know if there are red-tapes we can eliminate. After doing all these he knows what needs to done and a reform may be on the way. But we can force that any reform will not be smooth at the beginning: Resistance? Yes. Uncomfortable? Definitely. But a resolute principal will not give up easily. But time is the precondition that guarantees all this can happen. Hard to believe a school that change its principal every five years has high chances of standing out. After all, education concerns generations of people, it is life-time business.
But for politician and government official, I totally agree that there should be a upper limit on their incumbencies. Unlike a CEO or a school principal whose stepping-down may have a huge impact on the institutions they are serving, most government officials are replaceable, especially those in the administrative posts whose daily job is around paper work. For these guys, the longer they stay in power, the worse the influence could be: they may try to form a close knit inner circle, keep real talents from getting in,  promoting rent-seeking behavior and corruption. I believe that is why the U.S. cap the tenure of the presidency to four years.
You may say generally speaking five years is long time, isn’t it enough for the leader in any profession to prove his capability and step down to let fresh blood in. After all, just like I analyzed in the government official case, the longer a leader stay in power, the worse his impact could be. But just because it could prevent negative influence does not mean every institution should follow the same. We can invent lots of preventive measures to avoid the bad side but keep the stability and continuity at the same time. In a word, there should not be a clean-cut in “how long”here.

作者: Luckle    时间: 2016-1-20 18:02:55     标题: 托福作文

本帖最后由 Luckle 于 2016-1-20 19:08 编辑

本人授权寄托ID tesolchina持有人使用本人的习作及参加本次寄托公开课的练习答案作为科研、教学用途。寄托ID:luckle

写作类型:托福
题目:Should university students required to attend classes?
正文

When mention about the attending of the university students,I urge it should be optional for them.
           First of all,curriculum's attending should  be affected by their own necessaries.For  example,literature is the required course for the students major in history.We rarely see there is the serious absence of  this class.Students would make decision which is the vital curriculumes for them.
           Secondly,the curriculum's attending should be affected by students' own habits.Let's consider if you're the student who major in English,the second language includes Japanese and French.But this is the option for you .There are three quarters of you are choose for French,and only a quarter of them choose Japanese,how can we satisfy the demand if the university arrange the same number of each class?Forcing them attend to the class they don't like should not be the option,In opposite during the learning they would find which one is more adaptable for them.
             As far as I concerned,the attending would be students'own optiones,and should not be required.

匆忙而作 不吝赐教 谢谢。
作者: mxhk    时间: 2016-1-20 18:07:04

寄托ID:mxhk

习作类型:GRE Argument
题目:The following appeared in a letter from a firm providing investment advice for a client.
Most homes in the northeastern United States, where winters are typically cold, have traditionally used oil as their major fuel for heating. Last heating season that region experienced 90 days with below-normal temperatures, and climate forecasters predict that this weather pattern will continue for several more years. Furthermore, many new homes are being built in the region in response to recent population growth. Because of these trends, we predict an increased demand for heating oil and recommend investment in Consolidated Industries, one of whose major business operations is the retail sale of home heating oil.
Write a response in which you examine the stated and/or unstated assumptions of the argument. Be sure to explain how the argument depends on these assumptions and what the implications are for the argument if the assumptions prove unwarranted.

习作:
The author of the argument comes up with an interesting and seemingly logical recommendation. The author predicts that the demands of heating oil will increase due to the possible longer winter periods, so that people should invest on a heating oil retail company. However, moving further on this argument need more evidence provided to answer some questions related to this argument.

The first question is that whether there will be some other new major fuel for heating. We understand that heating oil is the traditional heating fuel in Homes, but will the heating oil still be used in the future? We all know that the market changes instantaneously. Today’s hot issues might be tomorrow’s landfills. It is highly possible that there are some other new fuels with higher quality and lower cost. If this were true, consumers in Homes would possibly discard the traditional heating oil and turn to purchase the new fuels. Under this circumstance, there will be a possible plump in the demands for heating oil, let alone a dramatic increase. If this question cannot answered by the author, I am afraid I cannot be convinced.

A second question that needs to be considered is that will the new built houses bring more demands for heating. Why we need a reasonable explanation for this question is that new built houses are not necessarily equal with new demands. Neither market research nor empirical results are provided by the author to answer this question. It is quite possible that people in or outside Homes will not buy those new-built houses at all. Even if they actually buy those new houses, we do not know for sure whether they will live in. If those assumptions were true, the newly-built houses will not bring increase in the demands of heating oil. The author’s argument just leaves this question open and brings so many possible outcomes. In order to bolster this argument, the author should cite more evidence to answer this question so that s/he could be able to rule out all those possible explanations.

In order to make this argument more logically and coherently, the author still need to answer another question: why should people make investments on Consolidated Industries (CI)? Granted that all the questions above are all answered by citing more evidence, and it is also true that the demand for heating oil does increase, it is not safe to draw a conclusion making investments on CI is a good choice. An example is provided to illustrate this point clearly. It is possible that CI does earn a lot in selling heating oil, but it spends more on produce heating oil. So whether the company will have a higher profit is unknown. Furthermore, a higher profit is not the only factors included in an investment decision. Combined with so many uncertainties, it is unwarrantable to make a bold and irresponsible recommendation like that.

In conclusion, the author fails to develop this argument logically, which is based on unfounded assumptions and so many uncertainties. In order to make this recommendation more coherently, maybe it will be better for the author to cite more evidence to explain away all the uncertainties listed above.

作者: 迟末    时间: 2016-1-20 18:43:56

- 寄托ID:迟末

题目: Some people believe that university students should be required to attend classes. Others believe that
         going to classes should be optional for students. Which point of view do you agree with? Use specific
         reasons and details to explain your answer.

正文:From my point of view, students should be required to attend necessary classes, but they are also supposed to have privileges to choose unique classes to attend which they have interests in or think practical.
        Nowadays, overall excellence is not accorded the paramount stress to in the society, which is replaced by personalized education. What appears in the human resource in corporate strategies is that inter-disciplinary talents are badly needed, who will play an essential role in the future prospects. Obviously, it is not advisable to arrange the same variety of classes for all the students. Nevertheless, it doesn’t mean that the class schedule ought to be totally different, either. After all, no matter what profession students are majored in, there is no doubt that some fundamental abilities should be grasped by the all. On balance, it seems better for students that schools make the most efficient class plans for everyone, which should be based on the knowledge foundations in the same level.
       Consequently, necessary classes are aimed at to pass on the basic universal knowledge to every student, while optional classes undertake the responsibility to teach students what they want to master and what is beneficial to their career developments according to their own plan.
university, necessary, required, specific, believe
作者: 448986290    时间: 2016-1-20 19:00:40

占楼 来晚了~
作者: hohozhe    时间: 2016-1-20 19:01:15

本帖最后由 hohozhe 于 2016-1-20 19:21 编辑

请在这里贴上自己的习作

习作类型:托福/GRE issue/ GRE argument (请删去不适用)
题目:

作者: 哈哈1234    时间: 2016-1-20 19:01:37

本帖最后由 哈哈1234 于 2016-1-20 19:48 编辑

占楼。寄托ID:3497778
作者: n_eutrino    时间: 2016-1-20 19:01:43

占楼
作者: Uncl3Aaron    时间: 2016-1-20 19:01:53

占位
作者: Shearer    时间: 2016-1-20 19:01:54

占座
作者: shuliang123    时间: 2016-1-20 19:02:14

本帖最后由 shuliang123 于 2016-1-20 19:17 编辑

占楼:Some people believe that university students should be required to attend classes. Others believe that going to classes should be optional for students. Which point of view do you agree with? Use specific reasons and details to explain your answer.
作者: 方頭獅仔    时间: 2016-1-20 19:04:21

占座~
作者: HIMANXUMIN    时间: 2016-1-20 19:06:34

作者: maxine_fighting    时间: 2016-1-20 19:08:39

题目:Do you gree or disagree in order to be successful, a person must have a university degree?
Some people claim that it is vital to have a university degree to achieve success. Admittedly university degree does have some help for one to succeed.
.It is widely accepted that university degree symbolizes one’s ability and intelligence therefore the employers are in favor of the applicants with university degrees and companies are also more likely to give important tasks to those employees who have university degrees. In these cases ,people with college degrees are given more chances to get success. However, I believe that university degree is not the only factor that contributes to one’s success.

Firstly, I believe that there are a lot of important skills that are not taught in the universities. In other words when we go to university we are taught by our professors about the knowledge written on the books ,but there are still a lot of skills that only can be learnt from society. For instance the ability to communicate with different people is very important for those who want to be successful in the commercial field.
The reason is that only when you are communicate with other people successfully, can you get the offer or give the offer to the right people. However this ability cannot be learnt from university. This ability can only be accumulated by the experience of social practice.

Secondly, I assume that everyone has their own talents. For instance some people who are not good at study math or physics which are very important curriculums in the college entrance exams may be good at painting or singing. They can be very successful as painters or singers. There are lot of famous pop singers who are not college graduates. Additionally Some rap stars are grow up in a not very satisfying environment. They even do not have the chance to go to high school let along college but they still become famous because they are talented.

Aside from skills and talents, opportunities are also very important for one to become successful .People will easily get success if they seize the opportunities that appear in their life. Sometimes life is unpredictable, college degree will only improve the chance of success. It do not have the ability to guarantee you the successful future.

For those reasons, i can safely conclude that college degree is not the only factor that leads to one’s success. i believe that there are even more factors contribute to one’s     success aside from talents, skills and opportunities.

作者: 不复不负    时间: 2016-1-20 19:09:46

本帖最后由 不复不负 于 2016-1-20 20:23 编辑

本人授权寄托ID tesolchina持有人使用本人的习作及参加本次寄托公开课的练习答案作为科研、教学用途。 - 寄托ID:不复不负

请在这里贴上自己的习作

题目: TPO2

习作正文:

Many people confused how to deal with various kinds of  relationship with others, especially when it comes to the choice of lies and truth. Admittedly, lies are sometimes bad and may hurt relationships between people. However, I believe that always telling the truth is not a wisdom idea and, on the contrary, telling white lies may work well in many cases.
Teachers may tell white lies for the sake of students' study. We all have been through the childhood and pupil days. For children of that ages, most of them think about toys and cars rather than study. At this time, teachers show up, tell them they have to study well and, if not, they may become bad children that nobody likes and may live a poor live when they grow up. Thanks for the teachers' white lies, they study because of the frighten at the beginning, but later they learn how to absorb knowledge and find their own interest in many fields.
In romance relationships, telling white lies may sometimes avoid conflicts. Lovers always care about each others. But for some girls who  are lack of security, they may easily become angry and suspect their boyfriend or husband just because of misunderstanding. If a male worker have to have dinner with a female costumer, he can just tell his spouse he is going to have a dinner with an important costumer. If he may have a co-workers party with many woman co-workers, he can just tell she he'll have a company party. In this way, spouses may have less conflicts result from many unnecessary things.
People may sometimes tell white lies to their parents for the reason that they don't want their parents to be worried. Parents have been worried about us since the day we were born. They worried about our study,our work and our lives. However, when we grow up, when we already have the ability to handle our problems, telling them the worries of ourselves only makes them feel anxious. Therefore, the good way to make their live happier is to handle the problems ourselves and don't make them worry about us.
Graham Greene said that"in human relationships, kindness and lies are worth than a thousand truth". Telling the truth is not always the best idea and sometimes the white lies may make the relationships harmonious.
作者: 会咩的绵羊    时间: 2016-1-20 19:10:33

占楼ing......
作者: Twinkle39    时间: 2016-1-20 19:11:30

本帖最后由 Twinkle39 于 2016-1-20 19:23 编辑

作者: 芥子    时间: 2016-1-20 19:13:27

A recent study of eighteen rhesus monkeys provides clues as to the effects of birth order on an individual's levels of stimulation The study showed that in stimulating situations (such as an encounter with an unfamiliar monkey), firstborn infant monkeys produce up to twice as much of the hormone cortisol, which primes the body for increased activity levels, as do their younger siblings. Firstborn humans also produce relatively high levels of cortisol in stimulating situations (such as the return of a parent after an absence). Write a response in which you discuss one or more alternative explanations that could rival the proposed explanation and explain how your explanation(s) can plausibly account for the facts presented in the argument.

According to the letter, the study demonstrated the relationship between rhesus monkeys' birth order and individuals' stimulation levels.But there're still alternative explanations accounting for the illustrated phenomenon against that argument.

At the beginning, such assumption should be established on a large size of representative sample in statistics. Due to the experiment in this argument, the sample size of those eighteen chosen rhesus monkeys is too small to represent their entire species. I

Secondly, the original explanation isn't persuasive to verify comparing two species under the same circumstances. The argument mistook human infants' explanation for the reference to rhesus monkeys' similar situation without a controlled experiment, whose result is supposed to be based on keeping all the other variables fixed except for the crucial hormone cortisol level condition.Moreover, the argument didn't explain the physical mechanism related to firstborn humans and firstborn infant monkeys. If there are any differences between those two species, the original explanation will be incorrect. The author should dwell on the cohesion between the human race and rhesus monkeys.

Last but not least, other elements like rhesus monkeys' age, their habitat's environment quality and individuals' differences should also be taken into consideration to the explanation. For example, different age results in various levels of metabolism which will influence an individual's levels of stimulation instead of the birth order. Another instance is the quality of their environment. A terrible habit threatening rhesus monkeys' survival will also increase the hormone cortisol level as a stimulus. Finally, the situation varies from individual to individual. Individuals' difference should also be taken into the explanation. Some individuals incline to be sensitive to the changing environment and react dramatically to the stimulus.

In summary, the argument should explicate relevant experimental statistics, methods and environment. The author had better revaluate the original explanation by excluding all the other critical influential factors before drawing the final conclusion.占座
作者: memory15    时间: 2016-1-20 19:14:08

占座~~
作者: 洋葱大叔    时间: 2016-1-20 19:14:58

本帖最后由 洋葱大叔 于 2016-1-20 21:39 编辑

支持,占楼!

粘贴的是王老师提供的素材,供找错练习。

<incorrect>Competition for high scores is a method for promoting the quality of learning when it comes to mechanical memorizing错误的句子 放在这里</incorrect>

<seemingly_incorrect>nil</seemingly_incorrect>  

<seemingly_incorrect>nil/seemingly_incorrect>

作者: 会咩的绵羊    时间: 2016-1-20 19:15:25

作者: HankCC    时间: 2016-1-20 19:15:33

刚考完,占楼
作者: 细雨娜儿    时间: 2016-1-20 19:16:36

占座
作者: 慧仙    时间: 2016-1-20 19:16:36

Undemonstrative 发表于 2016-1-19 14:51
Wh ...

占座
作者: william-H    时间: 2016-1-20 19:16:42

本人授权寄托ID tesolchina持有人使用本人的习作及参加本次寄托公开课的练习答案作为科研、教学用途。 - 寄托ID:william-H

习题类型:GRE argument

题目:The following appeared in an article in the Grandview Beacon.

"For many years the city of Grandview has provided annual funding for the Grandview Symphony. Last year, however, private contributions to the symphony increased by 200 percent and attendance at the symphony's concerts-in-the-park series doubled. The symphony has also announced an increase in ticket prices for next year. Given such developments, some city commissioners argue that the symphony can now be fully self-supporting, and they recommend that funding for the symphony be eliminated from next year's budget."
Write a response in which you discuss what questions would need to be answered in order to decide whether the recommendation and the argument on which it is based are reasonable. Be sure to explain how the answers to these questions would help to evaluate the recommendation.

The commissioners argue that the symphony can now be fully self-supporting. Based on this conclusion, they recommend to cut off the funding for the symphony from next year’s budget. To support the argument, they mention the increase in both private contributions as well as the attendance, and the symphony’s new pricing strategy for next year. At first glance, the argument seems reasonable. However, after a deep examination, we still need the answers for a number of questions before we could be fully convinced.

The commissioners only provide the relative number of the contribution, but we still need to ask several questions about the revenue of the symphony. It might be possible that the symphony only received 10 dollars last year, the 200 percentage increase still means nothing. Even if the private contribution is 10000 dollars, which seems to be a large amount of money, it does not necessarily mean the symphony is financially self-sufficient. If the private contributions only meet 5% of the total costs of the symphony, the supporting function is still very limited. Even if the private contribution really helps the symphony to be financially self-sufficient last year, we still don’t know whether it can persist. It might be possible that the one or two businessmen made a big contribution due to an interest in the symphony and maybe they would switch to Jazz music next year.
Generally speaking  
Since the commissioners mention about the audience attendance, we would like to ask how the tickets revenue changed.  What if the attendances are still far below the expectation of covering the cost of symphony even after it has doubled last year? It might be possible that 300 capacity concert hall only have 50 audiences’ attendance.  Another kind of possibility is that audience did not pay anything for the performance or only paid a very small amount. Under such scenario, the revenue may not cover the cost of the symphony. In addition, the commissioners only mention the audience for the concerts-in-the-park series were doubled. How about other performances? We don’t know, maybe attendance for other performance decreased. The commissioners still need to analyze the reasons for the increasing of the attendance. If the specific reasons, such as symphony anniversary  or a group of famous artists’ participation, only appear last year, it is not guaranteed that the positive change could continue.

More questions regarding the plan of raising ticket price need to be addressed. Will the attendance change after the increase of the ticket prices? Those commissioners take for granted that the symphony will not lose audiences no matter how much the ticket prices ended to be. However, as we all know that there is a mutual correlation relationship existing between ticket prices and attendance. A higher charge may scare away many audiences who are sensitive to the price, which will cause the unexpected decease of the revenue instead of achieving the predicted result.

Granted that the symphony is able to be fully self-supporting, the argument is not likely to persuade us to accept this conclusion. By giving financial support to culture events, the government can give the society positive guidance in spirit. And the symphony plays an importance role in promoting the cultural development. Without fully evaluating the advantages of providing financial support, simply cease the funding seems to be unreasonable.

We would be delighted to know that the symphony will have a better financial state next year. However, before the commissioners could answer the questions above, we can’t accept that the symphony can be fully self-supporting and the funding should be eliminated from next year’s budget.

作者: 天天UP    时间: 2016-1-20 19:16:45

占位
作者: xsp1996    时间: 2016-1-20 19:17:42

本帖最后由 xsp1996 于 2016-1-20 19:21 编辑

寄托ID:xsp1996

题目: Agree or disagree: There is no reason to be impolite (rude) to anther person.

习作正文:  

Although an easy-going person has few enemies, it is unbearable for them to be polite to anyone including the opposites. For me, I, without any hesitation, will oppose the opinion that there is no reason to be impolite to another person. And I have several reasons to support my argument.
Firstly, some people really have bad manners and they just want to offend you without any reason. They are just accustomed to it. Saying something rude to them is a perfect to cast a warning that you are angry with them and if they don't leave you away, you would take some more offensive actions such as fighting or calling the police. However, if you just think there is no reason to be rude to them, they probably consider you as a man with little courage and they will become more motivated to hurt you. Thus, taking some rude actions to the enemies is a reasonable way to illustrate warning.
On top of that, a person with polite manners all the time has the potential to lose the ability of critical thinking, which is considered as a significant factor to evaluate a person. Critical thinking means people can have a negative attitude towards everything including the authorities. It is especially important in the scientific research. During the past few decades, several breakthroughs in the science are started with casting doubt on the popular consensus. There is no doubt that people can hardly raise some opposite opinion with good manners. It is really hard to imagine the circumstance that one person stands up and says ‘I totally oppose your opinion' with a smile and soft voice. So if we want to maintain the ability of critically thinking, by all means we are supposed to abandon the thought that there is no reason to be rude to others.
Finally, person who avoid rude actions radically is hard to make any friends. Others tend to recognize the easy-going person as lack of principles and those people are unreliable.
In conclusion, it is safe to say that there is a few reasons to be rude to another person and politeness should be considered as a basic principle to deal with people. However, I have never denied that we have the right and necessity to be rude to others and defend ourselves under particular circumstances.

作者: 葆芙露莎    时间: 2016-1-20 19:17:52

本帖最后由 葆芙露莎 于 2016-1-20 21:59 编辑

寄托ID:葆芙露莎

At university and colleges, sports and social activities are just as important as classes and should receive equal financial support.

修改:
1)

<incorrect>Competition for high scores is a method for promoting the quality of learning when it comes to mechanical memorizing.</incorrect>

2)

<incorrect> Because different level of education has different goals, in my opinion, appropriate competition for high grades could be an approach to improve the quality of learning when learning mostly involves memorizing facts, while overemphasizing grades does the opposite when the purpose of education is comprehension of knowledge and innovation.</incorrect>

<incorrect>Workers who won the contest must have mastered the safety rules very well; through competition for high scores, they effectively master the safety rules and apply them in the contest, even in their daily working.</incorrect>

<incorrect>And the same is true for junior high school students and below whose studying mostly involves memorizing the basic facts and formulations, competing for scores could be beneficial to master the basic knowledge which will be the foundation of their future studying.</incorrect>

3)

<incorrect>Competition for high scores is a method for promoting the quality of learning when it comes to mechanical memorizing.</incorrect>

4)

<seemingly_incorrect>Imagine there is a factory holding a knowledge contest of safety rules which is boring to learn, and workers with the highest scores win the contest would get a reward. </seemingly_incorrect>   

5)

<seemingly_incorrect>When it comes to the quality of learning, I think it is the degree the students obtain the knowledge which specific level of education requires.</seemingly_incorrect>  

作者: shanshan3    时间: 2016-1-20 19:18:45

本帖最后由 shanshan3 于 2016-1-20 21:36 编辑

寄托ID:shanshan3

题目:

习作正文:
Higher education has been a controversial issue for several decades. Different people has diverse views. The meaning of university study, the aim of higher education, and what contents should a college student acquire are all important issues that people often talk about. There are one topic always draw people’s eyes - are classes mandatory or optional for students? From my perspective, I think that it’s better for students to own the choices on attending one specific class or not.

People always says that the responsibility of students is going to classes. But the goal of university students should not be just attending classes. University should be a safe and free place for students to find their ambitions, interest, the direction of future career and so on, and those things can not be found if students just study in classes. Students need time to do many other things. For example, if a student who is very talented in violet want to attend a music concert interview at 2 p.m, but there are a mandatory economic class at that time too, so he can’t go to the interview. Maybe he would become a violet artist, but he losted this chance.

Moreover, requiring students to attend classes would cause the waste of resource, not just class time, but also faculties’ energy. To make sure everyone on class, the professor should use class time to call the roll, and other faculties should use a system to evaluate the present times of students. Those all use resources. However, the effectiveness is unknown. Because if a student who was interested in the topic of one class, he would listen carefully, but if a student who was bored about the class contents, maybe he would just sleep over. So, as they always says, the  interest is the best teacher. Students have options to go to classes is presumably better for resources usage.

At last, most of the college students are above 18, so they can make their choices of their lives. University should offer a liberal environment for them to prepare themselves for stepping in society freely.

作者: verne91    时间: 2016-1-20 19:18:48

本帖最后由 verne91 于 2016-1-20 19:26 编辑

本人授权寄托ID tesolchina持有人使用本人的习作及参加本次寄托公开课的练习答案作为科研、教学用途。 - 寄托ID:verne91

作者: wangash    时间: 2016-1-20 19:19:10

占座^_^
作者: louislau1997    时间: 2016-1-20 19:19:24

It is quite conspicuous that we human beings made this planet worse off. And the situation is deteriorating on the daily base. We have witnessed the extinction of some animals in the last millennium. It is the human who should be held accountable for those tragedies.
   Did human activities make the Earth more inhabitable? As far as I am concerned, this question remains undetermined. We do live a prolonged life in some sense. Our lifespan has been extended. People whose bodies are inherently flawed may have a good chance to live a longer life, thanks to modern medicine. Modern medicine has advanced to the point where many uncurable diseases are not big problems anymore. But it is nowhere near immortality of humankind. BY contrast, We created more and more challenges threatening human health in the last hundred years. Due to the environmental deterioration, more and more genres of cancers popped out in last centuries. Why? Because our planet is sick now. And the outburst of cancers patients is the superficial symptom of the sickness of Earth. By virtue of terminal diseases, the life span of some people has been shortened drastically. The situation is even worsening off in the developing countries. Economic booming comes at the price of environmental pollution. More pathetically, we have never learned a lesson out of this dreadful phenomenon. By and large, developing countries never hesitate to swap environment for economic growth. We are running out of resource now. The depletion of petroleum is inevitable. And there is no replaceable or alternative substitute. The short-sighted decisions may result in destruction of Earth.
In short, the environment has been changed by the human activities negatively. And there is no sign of turning back. In general, the environment grows to be inhospitable or hostile for human kind to inhabit.

作者: 踏梦裂影    时间: 2016-1-20 19:21:26

Many native speakers actually know little about their mother language.
Several weeks ago, when the writer was riding in a cab whose driver was a curious Pakistani man, she was asked to explain some words. Actually, the cab driver is keen on learning new English words by asking his passengers. However, though the writer was a native speaker, she racked her brain and struggled to explain the meanings by using some vague words and examples, which gave her a lesson that native speakers actually know little about their mother language. What’s more, she used some instances such as “Haste makes waste” in order to explain a proverb is nothing but a condensed saying that teaches a lesson. Finally, the writer only hoped the driver also owns a dictionary and works out the problem on his own rather than just listens to what native speakers say.
After all, it is obvious that it is one thing to use a word, but it is another thing to explain.

作者: prince3734    时间: 2016-1-20 19:21:51

提示: 作者被禁止或删除 内容自动屏蔽
作者: gardenia22    时间: 2016-1-20 19:21:59

本帖最后由 gardenia22 于 2016-1-20 21:32 编辑

本人授权寄托ID tesolchina持有人使用本人的习作及参加本次寄托公开课的练习答案作为科研、教学用途。 - 寄托ID:gardenia22

GRE: Colleges and universities should require all faculty to spend time working outside the academic world in professions relevant to the courses they teach.

正文:

There are some divisions about whether university should require faculty to work outside the academic world. While some may hold that both society and faculty can benefit from this policy, I believe that such requirements is not applicable to instructors in all fields..

Primarily, professors in universities are inundate with teaching and researching tasks, leaving insufficient time for other non-academic activities. University should not put more burdens on them and make an unwanted requirement. Even if some teachers may think working outside the campus is benefit for their research, professors themselves should be the one to decide if time is worthy of their devotion besides researches and teachings. 

Further, After years of deep studies and research, professors already have a thorough understanding of what he or she is teaching. So there is no need for them to learn from these off-campus experiences. Beside, media and research proceedings offer them a better way of being inform of what is going on in their fields. 

Some certain majors is too recondite to find appropriate work outside academic world, because of a weak connections between academic research and industries. For example, a historian studies pre-history and a physicist studies string theory, whose knowledge is based on complicated and numerous accumulation of deep researches. Under such circumstances, working outside of academic world is not fit for their professions: Lay people and common society can hardly seek benefits from their work outside academia, since either their researches or teachings is beyond the interest and cognizance of the ordinary. Therefore it would be a waste of time and resources to require faculties in these fields to work out side of academia.

Of course, having professional staff whose research is related to industries working in practice may have considerable benefits for our whole society. However, is that really necessary to bother faculty of universities to make these contributions? If less professionals like students in corresponding majors can accomplish the work, requiring their teachers to do the same job may be unreasonable. For example, students of computer sciences are adequate to inform the basic networking security precautions for internet users without domain knowledge, then why waste the time of an eminent researcher who designs AES algorithm for public encryption.

To sum up, faculty in universities should spend their time on more worthwhile researches and can gain their knowledge in multiple supersedes. While some researchers can make salutary influences on society, certain fields is more suitable only in academia and such influences often can be completed by less professionals like students. Therefore, requiring them all to spend time working outside the academic world is unjustifiable.

作者: 万仔    时间: 2016-1-20 19:24:19

本人授权寄托ID tesolchina持有人使用本人的习作及参加本次寄托公开课的练习答案作为科研、教学用途。 - 寄托ID:万仔

题目:Some people believe that university students should be required to attend classes. Others believe that going to classes should be optional for students. Which point of view do you agree with? Use specific reasons and details to explain your answer.

作者: 会咩的绵羊    时间: 2016-1-20 19:26:29

作者: 448986290    时间: 2016-1-20 19:26:31

本人授权寄托ID tesolchina持有人使用本人的习作及参加本次寄托公开课的练习答案作为科研、教学用途。 - 寄托ID:448986290

作者: chinnie1952    时间: 2016-1-20 19:27:28

作者: 双料少年    时间: 2016-1-20 19:28:27

When it comes to the quality of learning, I think it is the degree the students master the knowledge which specific level of education requires. With this definition, I fundamentally disagree with the claim that all levels of education are limited by competition. Because different level education has different goals, in my opinion, when learning mostly involves memorizing facts,  appropriate competition for high grades could be an approach to improve the quality of learning, but overemphasizing grades does the opposite, when the purpose of education is comprehension of knowledge and innovation, pursuing high scores can hardly be meaning. Competition for high scores a method for promoting the quality of learning when it comes to mechanical memorizing. Imagine there is a factory holds a knowledge contest of safety rules which are boring to learn, workers with the highest scores win the contest which has a reward. Workers who win the contest must have mastered the safety rules very well and workers in the contest, through competition for high scores, effectively master the safety rules and apply them in the contest, even in their daily working. In this case, a contest with competition for scores is helpful for improving the quality of learning boring safety rules. And the same is true of junior high school students and below, which their studying mostly involves memorizing the basic facts and formulations, competing for scores could be beneficial to master the basic knowledge which will be the foundation of their future studying.
作者: kingdomyi    时间: 2016-1-20 19:31:56

本帖最后由 kingdomyi 于 2016-1-20 20:23 编辑

本人授权寄托ID tesolchina持有人使用本人的习作及参加本次寄托公开课的练习答案作为科研、教学用途。 - 寄托ID:kingdomyi

For most classes, attendances should be valued, especially some basic classes. It doesn’t mean that the self-study is forbidden, but attending classes is recommended for freshmen and sophomores. For their very first time coming into university, they might not have a proper and comprehensive understanding between college and high school life, thus they seemed be struggle to orient the new surroundings and feeling difficult to study. Therefore, joining the class’s lecture and following the professor’s guide might be suitable for most of freshmen and sophomores.
However, students should have be free to master their own time and took the classes of their own accord in the junior or senior years. After two or three years spending in school, they might develop some special patterns or discover some unusually timetable. At that case, attending classes might be not appropriated for them
Least but not the last, since there is not any eternal truth, I recommended university students found their own way to benefit themselves.

作者: 木婴    时间: 2016-1-20 19:34:29

本帖最后由 木婴 于 2016-1-20 19:40 编辑

本人授权寄托ID tesolchina持有人使用本人的习作及参加本次寄托公开课的练习答案作为科研、教学用途。 - 寄托ID
GRE argument
题目
25. The following was written as a part of an application for a small-business loan by a group of developers in the city of Monroe.
"A jazz music club in Monroe would be a tremendously profitable enterprise. Currently, the nearest jazz club is 65 miles away; thus, the proposed new jazz club in Monroe, the C-Note, would have the local market all to itself. Plus, jazz is extremely popular in Monroe: over 100,000 people attended Monroe's annual jazz festival last summer; several well-known jazz musicians live in Monroe; and the highest-rated radio program in Monroe is 'Jazz Nightly,' which airs every weeknight at 7 P.M. Finally, a nationwide study indicates that the typical jazz fan spends close to $1,000 per year on jazz entertainment."

Write a response in which you discuss what specific evidence is needed to evaluate the argument and explain how the evidence would weaken or strengthen the argument.

正文
This application thinks that a jazz music club, called C-Note, will bring a great profitable in Monroe, because it lacks of competition, many people like jazz music in Monroe and typical jazz fans were generous to this entertainment. However, it ignores some specific evidences. It should provide more information about that C-Note will be not threatened by the nearest jazz club, jazz music is popular in Monroe and the nationwide study is the same as ‘Monroewide’ study.

Firstly, this application need provide more information about that C-Note will not have any competition with the nearest jazz club. It is probably that 65 miles highway which connected C-Note and its nearest jazz club. People get there conveniently. On the other hand, the nearest jazz club maybe the most famous club in the world. C-Note has no chance to challenge it position. People would rather spend time to the nearest club than go to C-Note. Therefore this application should provide the evidence that the nearest jazz club is not better than C-Note.

Secondly,the evidence is also not enough to prove jazz music is popular in Monroe. Although annual jazz festival attracted many people attended in Monroe’s last summer, we cannot learn many people attended this festival every year. It is probably that jazz festival of last summer is very special and a lot of performances were never seen before. The fresh shows attracted them rather than jazz festival itself. On the other hand, the application should provide the reasons of the jazz musicians living in Monroe. If not, we may think that jazz musicians were attracted by the unrelated jazz factors. For example, the sun is shining brightly and the people are very kind. At the same time,the application should tell us that there is a direct connection between people like “Jazz Nightly” and people would go jazz club. If not, we may think that people just like listening the jazz radio program, but they do not like jazz club. At last, the information is too small to judge that the jazz music is popular in Monroe.

Thirdly, the application should tell us the typic jazz fan is also generous to the jazz club in Monroe. Jazz entertainment has many forms like listening the radio, going to jazz festivel, buying CDs and so on. Typic jazz fans could spend much money on other forms rather than jazz club. On the other hand, nationwide study cannot represent Monroe wide study unless Monroe samples are similar to the nationwide samples. We need the information about the exact nationwide samples and Monroe samples, and then we could realise whether nationwide study has the persvation to represent the Monroe jazz fans.

At last, this application need provide the evidence above to prove the C-Note club will bring a great profit or not
作者: cyanchow    时间: 2016-1-20 19:39:05

本帖最后由 cyanchow 于 2016-1-20 20:26 编辑

- 寄托ID:cyanchow

作者: qq135zxc    时间: 2016-1-20 19:50:45

托福作文:Do you agree or disagree with the following statement? The way a person dresses reflects his/her characters.(历年试题 2011-05-28 独立写作)

There is a common saying that do not judge people by their appearances. Undeniably, outward looks can never be the only criterion on which to evaluate a person. When it comes to the question that does the way a person dresses reflect his/her own characters, people’s perspective vary from person to person. Some claim that a person’s dressing style can indicate his/her personality. However, from my perspective, I found myself in the concord with the inclination that the way people dress might be an indication of his/her character, although it can never be the best indicator.

Admittedly, to some extent, a person’s characters can not be determined only by his dressing, such as this person’s wealth, personality and so on. Because we can not safely draw a conclusion this person is pretty good only referring his appearance or wearing. And there are other factors contributing to judge a person’s characters: behavior and manners, which are more reliable ways to know a person’s real character. Thus, we should attach our focus on his or her behavior or attitude, instead of their outward appearance.

In fact, one’s dressing styles reveal his or her personal preferences, which are closely associated with their personality. For instance, if a person often wear some casual clothing in daily life, like T-shirt, jeans, or sportswear, he or she might be keen on to the enjoyment of a casual and relaxing way of living and physical activities. Thus, there exists one possibility that this person maybe out-going and open-minded. Contrary to this, if one wears formal clothes most time like suits, he or she might be a businessman and might take things really careful. Beside, if a man prefers to wear bright-colored clothes, he might be very extrovert. On the other hand, if a man choose dark clothes, he might has an introvert personality.

Furthermore, from a person’s dressing style, it can also offer us some clues of this person’s character. And there is an example well demonstrated this point. As we all know, we should dress ourselves suitably according to different situations. That is to say, when we attend a dancing party, we should wear evening dress which is suitable in this occasion. While in a graduate ceremony we need to dress special graduate clothes instead of casual T-shirt. And if a man always wears wrong clothes on those special occasions, he might be very careless in daily life. In addition, if a person wears out-dated clothes frequently, we might say this person does not have a good taste and might not be easy to accept new things.

To sum up, from my illustration we know that a person’s character should be determined from various aspects, like appearances, behaviors and attitude, but his/her dressing style could be a sign of his/her preferences and individual personality. Therefore, the clothes one choose to wear is actually under an individual consideration which includes their personal inclination and preference, and we can get some information about their characters

作者: who-knows    时间: 2016-1-20 19:51:12

本帖最后由 who-knows 于 2016-1-20 21:45 编辑

寄托ID:who_knows

Nowadays, neighbors depend on each other less than people in the past.

Not only once have I bumped into people next door waiting for the elevator, nodded to each other and felt embarrassed all the way home. Not only am I introverted but nowadays people tend to live on their own. We boast a less friendly and cordial neighborhood than in the past.
With the advancement of technology it is not as efficient to ask neighbors for help as yesterday. Telephones have made it more convenient to communicate with distant people. In pre-wire period, we asked technicians nearby to repair our broken devices while we call the related company to send an engineer nowadays. We chatted with neighbors face-to-face in the past and now daily interactions are carried out by telecommunications. A lack of communications have made neighbors acquaintances or even strangers.
Subjectively, people are less willing to expose themselves to the unfamiliar. Virtual technology may contribute to it, but emotionally, people don't want to show their weakness. We are facing fierce competitions nowadays and we can't endure others being in a better-off position. When we encounter people in the neighborhood, we start with 'Hello' and end up talking about weather. The problems we are dealing with are not options for topic. By assuming a smile we are rejecting encouragements and favors. We are saying it's fine and that I can handle it.
Yet a neighborhood filled with an atmosphere of nonchalance and social etiquette is not the one we really embrace. It leads to distrust in society. Attitudes influence behavior. We are in the worsening cycle of independence until the individual life collapses under its own weight. Since teamwork is exhorted in workplace, inter-dependence is required in the neighborhood.
Traditionally we live a life of helping each other, while distance limits our interaction range. Technology have abridged the physical obstacle but it's up to us to become emotionally connected.

作者: 天天寻宝Aclock    时间: 2016-1-20 20:36:37

Practice makes perfect! Full of energy, love, keep moving on.

作者: 天天寻宝Aclock    时间: 2016-1-20 20:37:42

"本人授权寄托ID tesolchina持有人使用本人的习作及参加本次寄托公开课的练习答案作为科研、教学用途。 - 寄托ID:3687506"

作者: 天天寻宝Aclock    时间: 2016-1-20 20:40:19

天天寻宝Aclock 发表于 2016-1-20 20:37
"本人授权寄托ID tesolchina持有人使用本人的习作及参加本次寄托公开课的练习答案作为科研、教学用途。 - 寄 ...

Practice makes perfect! Full of energy, love, keep moving on.
作者: lionfire    时间: 2016-1-21 17:39:40

寄托ID:wavedzl
Nowadays, neighbors depend on each other less than people in the past.

There is a fierce debate that some people believe that university students should attend classes if they select to go into the university, on the contrary, others argue that whether to attend the classes is an optional depending on arrangement the students make. From my point of view, students should be required to attend classes on force like many teachers do nowadays: check the attendance.
Some reasons to support my opinion. First of all, teachers not only go through the lecture materials in the class, but also they share their own experience which we can’t find in the book if students want to learn by themselves off the class. In the second place, you can’t imagine how attractive your classmates come out a good idea and discuss with you which is the best way to learn and promote. Thirdly, especially as for some academic courses, we should take more time and energy on it if we were absent from class. It leads to wasting time and not learning well eventually.
Students should manage their time properly with the limited time on campus. It is necessary for everyone to attend all the classes they choose and listen to the teacher carefully in order to a bright future.
来自UID为:3687506的同学
作者: anqixiao    时间: 2018-10-8 07:37:32

本人授权寄托ID anqixiao持有人使用本人的习作及参加本次寄托公开课的练习答案作为科研、教学用途。 - 寄托ID:anqixiao

GRE ISSUE: People who are the most deeply committed to an idea or policy are also the most critical of it. Write a response in which you discuss the extent to which you agree or disagree with the statement and explain your reasoning for the position you take. In developing and supporting your position, you should consider ways in which the statement might or might not hold true and explain how these considerations shape your position.

It is argued that people who are the most deeply committed to an idea or policy are also the most critical of it. Considering that critical thinking skills is one of the cornerstones upon which science is grounded, I concede that the speaker’s assertion accord with the observation that perfectionists sometimes could be the fiercest critics of their own ideas and products, while remaining steadfast to the improvement and advancement thereof.  However, on balance, I disagree with this assertion, for it is an unfair generalization that overlooks many other cases, such as that of the concentration camp prisoners.

Indeed, in engineering and science, perseverance and self-criticism are two imperative ingredients whose synergic power has propelled the advancement of modern technology. One has to put aside his/her pride and ego in the quest of truth and transcendency. One of the most influential and lionized innovators of the 21st century, Steve Jobs was also a notorious perfectionist. During the development of the desktop computer, Macintosh, he remained so unrelentingly critical of the product, obsessively mulling over its every detail, that the product’s release was postponed for five years. Detractors might argue that undue self-criticism and search for perfection is a futile non-starter – for its unattainable nature. They might also argue that this obsession is pathological to some extent and should not be championed for by society, as it definitely had fostered detrimental amounts of stress in Jobs, which may have precipitated his bemoaned early death. While there are some merits to these arguments, the fact that Jobs’ commitment and his critical eye for any project coexisted during the course of his career is not to undermined. Neither of them should be downplayed in attributing all the admiration from the public he commanded as well as the inspiring milestones Apple arrived at under his reign.

Nonetheless, criticism, which requires detached scrutiny over the situation, does not always come hand in hand with commitment. The case of the prisoners in Nazi concentration camps, as recounted by Viktor Frankl in “Meaning of Life”, demonstrates the point. Trapped in extremities and tortured by inhumanities, prisoners only had two choices – they could either give up, kill themselves and end the meaningless sufferings on the spot or live on and accept the sufferings somehow. It was clear that the chance for any prisoner to walk out of the concentration camp was abysmally dim. Were all the prisoners who made the latter choice so illogical? The striking commonality among the survivors pointed us to look in another direction: though disparate, they all found reasons, that is, meaning, for stomaching the sufferings. As Nietzsche elegantly put, “he who has found a why to live for can bear almost any how.” It was not that the prisoners that chose to bear the sufferings were illogical – they found reasons to justify their choice – but the situation called for unquestioning faith that was incompatible with undue self-doubt and criticism that would have surfaced with hardheaded analyses.

To sum up, while in areas such as engineering and science, both perseverance and self-criticism have often turned out to be the indispensable ingredients amounting to excellence, the speaker’s claim do not square with observations arising from areas outside of the science community. Sometimes, as proven by the Nazi concentration camp survivors, on top of perseverance, the “irrational” unconditional faith is just as useful as the detached, scientifically valued self-criticism.

作者: yufuchuan    时间: 2018-12-28 11:29:02

提示: 作者被禁止或删除 内容自动屏蔽

欢迎光临 寄托家园留学论坛 (https://bbs.gter.net/) Powered by Discuz! X2