寄托币
注册时间
2007-9-16
精华
帖子

梦舞槿樱 Taurus金牛座 荣誉版主 Sub luck US Advisor 枫华正茂 Economist

发表于 2012-1-21 23:17:29 |显示全部楼层
好像有一定数量的人拿到了JHU master in applied econ。。不过似乎版面信息不多,所以转载一些信息。主要来自testmagic。。

欢迎有相关信息的人跟帖。当然,最好附上本科BG+有无工作/实习经历以及工作/实习经历的层次+有无求职经历以及结果等很重要的影响实际求职找实习结果的信息而不是笼统说去了XX/找到XX工作之类的,否则容易产生误导。
http://www.urch.com/forums/phd-economics/115280-whats-johns-hopkins-ma.html
Are you talking about the MA in Applied Economics at JHU? Well, first of all, it's not an academic program what so ever. It's meant strictly for professional training, and is actually a professional degree program. Second, the Applied Economics MA is actually not offered by the JHU Economics department, but rather an applied econ department that's part of the school of professional studies (continuing education). The professors who teach the Applied Econ programs are only instructive faculty (except for maybe the director) who work at policy institutions and think tanks in the DC area.

Not to say it's a bad program; not at all. The faculty is apparently excellent, with PhDs from the better schools out there. Also, the amount of hands on exposure to practical uses of economics is apparently excellent, downplaying the theory in favor of real world application. It's apparently looked at very well by employers in the DC area, as well. However, they make no real claims to being and you shouldn't think of it as an academic program whatsoever. Why it doesn't have some of the stricter admissions policies of the other terminal MA programs, it just may be because of its continuing studies nature, but apparently it doesn't do much to hinder the program. However, if you already have advanced undergraduate training in economics, I don't think it's a good place to go to, unless you're strictly looking at developing your technical skills, of which it has a good amount of courses in metrics to take. I thought about applying there for a while, before I decided to kick my undergraduate training in high gear, but I'll likely choose another program for my MA.

Also, not apparently "everybody" can get in. I talked to the admissions guy when he came to W&M, and apparently their average GPA hovers around a 3.4. While easy to enter for most here, I don't buy that argument. Many of the MA programs, besides the most competitive to enter like Duke or NYU, have comparable standards.
==============================
In some cases, PhD students from the Econ department teach in the program. For example, I will be teaching the Math Methods for Economists course during the summer and most likely next fall and spring. Another student will be teaching the intro to metrics course as well this summer. Not sure this is helpful information, but I thought I would share.
=======================================

http://www.urch.com/forums/phd-economics/135516-johns-hopkins-masters-applied-economics-program.html

I finished the program this past Spring. I really liked it, the classes were good, and as I've said elsewhere, you can do most, if not all, online. The online classes are very flexible, generally giving a weeklong window in which to do assignments. I was already employed when I started it, so I can't say how employers view it, but the Hopkins name is very well respected, and the degree makes no distinction between online/in person classes, so there's no concern about negative stigma there. It is costly though, I had my employer pay it, but overall it would cost 30k. Is that worth it, I really don't know. Are there cheaper options, maybe, I don't know. As I said, I was fortunate to have an employer (JHU/APL) that was very generous, giving free tuition with no strings attached. If you have any other questions, I'd be happy to answer them.
已有 1 人评分寄托币 声望 收起 理由
victor7 + 20 + 5 THX~!

总评分: 寄托币 + 20  声望 + 5   查看全部投币

1.学术本来就是靠天分的事情,你不能因为进入门槛低就哭着嚷着要一辈子不出去。献身的有烈士也有炮灰。其实我们都知道哪种更多。
以大多数人的努力程度还到不了谈天分的程度,然后呢?你继续努力结果到了谈天分的程度,发现确实不行,最后你或者接着催眠自己或者外出催眠别人?
2.当然某年某月的某一天,你终于意识到自己错了,千万别扭头骂街或说世界变糟糕了就业变差了。是你而不是这个世界错了哦。该。
好paper才是硬通货,别的最多也只能算冥币,有人爱自己画有人想挣钱后买着玩儿。
3.一边喊着言论自由,一边又哭着要对方说得温柔
回应

使用道具 举报

声望
寄托币
注册时间
2008-5-8
精华
帖子

Aries白羊座 GRE斩浪之魂 US Assistant VISA版特殊贡献 枫华正茂 Economist 满3年在任版主 寄托兑换店纪念章