声望
寄托币
注册时间
2009-10-6
精华
帖子
发表于 2009-12-20 22:30:20 |显示全部楼层
TPO 7-2

Listen to part of a lecture in a class on theater history. The professor is discussing the theater of 19th century, France.

The 19th century was the time that itself????? what we call Realism, developed in the European theater. Tounderstand this, though, we first need to look at an eariler form ofdrama known as the Well Made Play, which basically was a pattern 模式 for constructing place[plays], plays that beginnng with some early 19th century comedies in France, proved very successful, commercially(6). The dramatic devices[devises 策划] used here weren't actually anything new. They've been around for centuries. But the formular[formula 原则,方案]for a well made play required that certain of these elements beincluded, in a paticular order. And most importantly, that everythingin the play be logically connected. In fact, some of theseplaywrites would start by writing the end of a play, and work backwardtoward the beginning, just to make sure each event lead ????? logically from what had gone before(7). OK, so what are the necessary elements of a well made play?

Well, the first is logical exposition 阐述. Exposition is whatever background information you have to revealto the audience, so they'll understand what's going on. Before thistime, exposition might have come from actors simply giving speaches.Someone might walk out in the stage and say: "In fair that who knowwhere we lay our scene". And then tell all about the feulting????? families of Romeo and Juliet. But for the well made play, even the exposition had to be logical, believable. So, for example, you might have two servants gossuping[gossiping](8)as they are cleaning the house, and one says, "Oh, what a shame themaster's son is still not married." And the other might mention a rumorabout a mysterias[mysterious] gentleman who's just moved into town with his beautiful daughter. These comments are part of the play's logically exposition.

The next key element of a well made play is refered to as the inciting 鼓动的incident. After we have the background information, we need a keymoment that gets things moving, that really makes the audienceinterested in what happens to the characters we just heard about. So,for example, after the two servants reveal all this backgroundinformation, we need the young man, just as he first lays eyes on thebeautiful young woman, and he imediatly[immediately] falls in love. This is the inciting incident. It sets off the plot of the play (11).

Now the plot of a well made play is usually driven by secrets,things that the audience knows, but the characters often don't know(9).So, for example, the audience learns through a letter or throughsomeone else's conversation, who this mysterious gentleman is, and whyhe left the town many years before. But the young man doesn't knowabout this. And the woman doesn't understand the ancient connection between her family and his.And before the secrets are revealed to the main characters, the plot ofthe play proceeds as a series of sort of up and down moments(9).For example, the woman first appears not to even notice the young man,and it seems to him like the end of the world. But then then he learnsthat she actually wants to meet him too, so life is wonderful. Then ifhe tries to talk with her, maybe her father gets
furious, for no appearent[apparent]reason. So they can't see each other. But just as the young man hasalmost lost all hope, he finds out...well, you get the idea. The reversal 翻转 of fortune continue(9), increasing the audiences'[audience's] tension and excitment[excitement], making them wonder if everything is going to come out OK or not.

Next comes in element known as the obligatory 有义务的scene. It's a scene, a moment, in which all the secrets are revealed.For the hero and others we care about. A happy ending of some sort.This became so popular that a playwrite almost had to include it inevery play, which is why it's called the obligatory scene. And that'sfollowed by the final dramatic element, the denouement 结局, or the resolution 解决,解答, when all the lusen[lucent?????]had to be tied up in a logicall way. Remember, the obligatory scenegives the audience emotional pleasure, but the denouement offers theaudience a logical conclusion. That's the suttle[subtle 微妙的] distinction we need to try very hard to keep in mind (10). So, as I said, the well made play, this form of play writing became a basis for realism in drama, and for a lot of very popular 19th century plays, and also a pattern we find in the plots of many later plays, and even movies that we see today.

要了亲命了~~
红色问号为听不懂且无解的地方,粗体标号为题目定位。

9题错,没辨认出原文改写。并且原文的逻辑关系也不是特别明了。只好猜。
10题错,原文定位句没听懂,没注意到。生词subtle。
不抛弃,不放弃,那些做到这六个字的人,抛弃了什么,又放弃了什么?
班长,我又想明白啦!
我不知道后面的路有多长,可我想坚持着跑完全程。

使用道具 举报

声望
寄托币
注册时间
2009-10-6
精华
帖子
发表于 2009-12-20 22:31:08 |显示全部楼层
TPO 7-3

Listen to part of a lecture in a biology class.

So that's how elephants use infrosound[infrasound 次声]. Now let's talk about the other end of the equistical[acoustic 声音的] spectrum 频谱, sounds that's too high for humans to hear, ultrasound 超声. Ultrasound is used by many animals that detect, and some of them send out very high frequency sounds, so what's a good example?(12) Yes, Carol?

Well, bats, since they are all blind, bats have to use sound for uh, you know, to keep from flying into things.

That's echolocation. Echolocation is pretty self-explainatory, using echos[echoes 回声]-reflet to[reflected] sound waves to locate things. As Carol said, bats use it for navegation[navigation 导航] and orientation. What else? Mike?

Well, finding food is always important, and I guess not becoming food for other animals.

Right, ummm, both counts. Avoiding other preditors[predators 食肉动物] and locating pray[prey 捕获物], ah, typically insects that fly around at night. Now before I go on, let me just respond to something Carol was saying, this idea that bats are blind.(17) Actuallythere are some species of bats, the ones that don't use echolocation,that do rely on their vision for navigaion, but it is true that formany bats, their vision is too weak to count on. OK, so quick summaryof how echolocation works, the bat emits 发出,射出 these ultrasound[ultrasonic] impulses[pulses], where it[very] high pitch 音高 some[sound] waves that we can't hear. And then they analyze the echos, how the waves bounds back. Ah, here let me finish this
diagram 图表
before I started before class. So the bat sends out these pulses, very focused bursts of sound, and echos bounds back. You know, I don't think I need to draw on the echos, you're[your] reading the assignments for the next class, it has the diagram that shows this very clearly.(13)So anyway, as I was saying, by analyzing these echos, the bat candetermine, say if there is a wall in a cave that it needs to avoid, andhow far away it is.  Another thing it uses ultrasound to detect is thesize and shape of objects. For example one echo they quickly identifyis the one they assosiate[associate] with the moth 蛾, which is common prey for a bat, particularly
a moth beating its wings. However moth happen to have a major advantageover most other insects, they can detect ultrasound. This means thatwhen a bat approaches, the moth can detect the bat's presence.So it has time to escape to safety, orelse they can just remainmotionless, since when they stop beating their wings, they'd be muchharder for the bat to distinguish from...oh...a leaf or some otherobject.(14)

Now we've tended to underestimate just how sufisticated[sophisticated]the abilities of animals that use ultrasound are. In fact, we kind ofassumed that they were filtering a lot out, ummm, the way asophisticated radar system can ignore echos from stationary 静止的 objects on the ground. Radar does this to remove ground clutter 零乱,  informationabout hills or buildings that it doesn't need. But bats, we thoughtthey were filtering out this kind of information because they simplycouldn't analyze it, but it looks as if we were wrong. Recently there was this experiment with trees and a spacific[specific] species of bat, a bat called the lesser spear-nosed bat.(15)Now a tree should be a huge acoustical chalenge for a bat, right? Imean it's got all kinds of surfaces with different shapes and angles.So, well the echos from a tree are going to be a massive chaoticacoustic reflections, right? Not like the echo from a moth. So wethought for a long time that bats stoped their evaluation as simply"that's a tree". Yet it turns out that that bats or at least thisparticular species can not only tell that it's a tree, but can alsodistinguish between, say a pine tree and a disiduas[deciduous 落叶的] tree, like a maple or oak tree, just by their leaves. And when I say leaves, I mean pine neadles[needles], too. Any ideas on how it would know that?

Well, like with the moth, could it be their shape?

You are on the right track. It's actually the echo off all the leaves as a whole that matters. Now, think, a pine tree with all those little densly[densely 密集的] pack[packed] needles, those produce a large number of faint????? reflections in what's called a smooth echo.(16) The wave form is very even. But an oak, which has fewer but bigger leaves with stronger reflections, produces a jagging[jagged] wave form, or what we call a rough echo. And these bats can distinguish between the two. And not just with the trees, but with any echo that comes in a smooth or rough shape.

12题错,主旨题,以为bat只是例子,不应出现在主旨里,并且不认识A选项里的emit。从此要记住,如果通篇都在讨论一个例子,那么不要被开头的一点综述性语言所迷惑。
班长,我又想明白啦!
我不知道后面的路有多长,可我想坚持着跑完全程。

使用道具 举报

声望
寄托币
注册时间
2009-12-17
精华
帖子
发表于 2009-12-22 14:11:50 |显示全部楼层
提示: 作者被禁止或删除 内容自动屏蔽

使用道具 举报

声望
寄托币
注册时间
2009-10-6
精华
帖子
发表于 2009-12-28 18:56:19 |显示全部楼层
本帖最后由 名字是个词儿 于 2009-12-28 23:12 编辑

TPO7 Conversation 2

Listen to a conversation between a student and a librarian.

S: Hi, I'm new here, I couldn't come to the student orientation, and I’m wondering if you can give me a few quick pointers[points just] about the library?(1. 主旨题) I'd really appreciate it.
L: Sure. I'd be glad to. What's your major area of study?
S: Latin Amarican Literiture.
L: OK, well, over here is the section where we have language, literature and the arts, and if you go down stairs, you'll find the history section. Generally the students who concentrate in Latin American Literature find themselves researching in the history section a lot.(2. 细节出处)
S: You're right. I'm a transfer student, I've already done a year in another university, so I know how the research can go, I spent a lot of time in the history section. So how long can I borrow a book[books] for?
L: Our loan period is a month. Oh, I should also mention that we have an interlibrary loan service. If you need to get hold of a book that's not in our library, there is a truck that runs between our library and a few other public and university libraries in this area. It comes around three times a week.
S: Hey, that's great. At my last school, it could take a really long time to get the materials I needed. So when I had a project, I had to make a plan way in advance. This sounds much faster.(3. 细节,人物态度) Another thing I was wondering is, is there a place where I can bring my computer and hook it up?
L: Sure. There is a whole area here on the main floor where you can bring a lap-top and plug it in for power. But on top of that, we also have a connectioin for the internet at every seat.
S: Nice. So I can do all the research I need to do right here in the library. I'll have all the resources, all the books and information I need right here in one place.
L: Yep, that's the idea.(5. 重听,改写) I'm sure you'll need photo copiers too, they are down the hall way to your left. We have a system where you have to use a copy card, so you'll need to buy a card from the front desk. You insert it into the machine and you're ready to make copies.
S: How much do you guys charge?
L: Seven cents a copy.
S: That's not too bad. Thanks. Where is the collection of rare books?
L: Rare books are up on the second floor. They are in a seperate room where the tempreture is controlled, to preserve the old paper in them. You need to get special permission to access them, and then you have to ware[wear] gloves to handle them,(4. 列举) cause the oils on[in] our hands, you know, can distroy the paper, and gloves prevent that, so we have a basket of gloves in the room.
S: OK, thanks, I suppose that's all I need to know. You've been very helpful, thanks.
L: Anytime. Bye.
S: Bye.
班长,我又想明白啦!
我不知道后面的路有多长,可我想坚持着跑完全程。

使用道具 举报

声望
寄托币
注册时间
2009-10-6
精华
帖子
发表于 2009-12-29 11:21:44 |显示全部楼层
TPO7 Lecture3

Listen to part of a lecture in an anthropology class.

So we've been discussing 16th century native american life. And today we're gonna focus on the Iroquios and Huron
peoples. They lived in the northeastern great lakes region of north america. Now, back then, their lives depended on the natual resources of the forests, especially the birch tree.(6. 主旨题) The birch tree can grow in many different types of soils, and it's preverlant[prevalent 流行的,普遍的] in that area. Now, can anyone here discribe a birch tree?

Um, they're tall, and white, the bark, I mean.

Yes, the birch tree has white bark, and this tough protective outter[outer] layer of the tree, this white bark, is waterproof. And this waterproof quality of the bark, oh it made it useful for making things(7. 列举 useful) like cooking containers and a variouty of yutensils[utensils 器具]. And if you peal[peel 剥皮]birch bark in the winter, we call it the winter bark, another layer, atoughter inner layer of the tree, adheres to the bark, producing astronger material, so the winter bark, was used for larger utensils and containers.

I know people make utensils out of wood, but utensils out of tree bark?(10. 重听)

Well, birch bark is pliable 柔顺的, and very easy to bend. The native americans would cut the bark and fold it into any shape they needed, then secure 缚牢 with cords 绳 until it dryed. They could fold the bark into many shapes(7. 列举 useful).

So if they cooked in bowls made of birch barks, wouldn't that make the food taste funny?

Oh that's one of the great things about birch bark, the taste of the birch tree doesn't get transfered[transferred] to the food. So it was perfect for cooking containers. But the most important use of the bark, by far, was the canoe 独木舟. Since the northeast region of north america is interconnected by many streams and waterways, water transportation by vesils[vessels 船] like a canoe was most essensial[essential]. The paths through the wood[woods]were often overgrown, so water travel was much faster. And here's whatthe native americans did, they would peel large sheets of bark from thetree to form light weighed[light-weight], yet stirdy[sturdy 结实的] canoes. The bark was streched over frames made from tree brenches[branches], stich[stitched 缝] together, and sealed with reson[resin 树脂], you know, that sticky liquid that comes out of the tree? And when it drys, it's water tight[watertight 不透水的]. One great thing about these birchbark canoes was they could carry a large amount of cargo. For example,a canoe weighing about 50 pounds could carry up to 9 people and 250pounds of cargo.

Wow, but how far could they travel that way?

Well, like I said, the northeastern region is interconnected by rivers and streams and the ocean at the coast(8. 列举 important).
The canoes allow them to travel over a vast area that today would take a few hours to fly over(11. 重听). You see, the native americans made canoes of all type[types] for travel on small streams or on large open ocean waters. For small streams, they made narrow manuvouable[maneuverable 可移动的,可操作的] boats, while larger canoes were needed for the ocean. They could travel thoughout the area, only ocationally[occasionally] having to portage 搬运,由陆路运输,to carry the canoe over land a short distance to another nearby stream.And since the canoes were so light, this wasn't a difficult task. Nowhow do you think this affected their lives?

Well, if they could travel so easily over such a large area, they could trade with people from other areas, which I guess would lead them to form aliances[alliances 结盟,联盟]?

Exactly! Having an effefiant[efficient] means of transportaion, well, that helped the Iroquios to form a federation 联邦, linked by natual[natural] waterways.(8. 列举 important) And this federation expanded from what's now southern canada all the way south to the delaware river. And this efficiency of the birch bark canoe also made an impression on newcomers to the area. French traders(9. 细节出处) in the 17th century modeled their, well they adopted the design ofthe Iroquios birch bark canoes, and they found they could travel greatdistances, more than 1500km a month. Now besides the bark, nativeamericans also used the wood of the birch tree. The young trees wereused to support for largings[loggings], with the waterproof barks used as roofing. Branches were folded into snow shoes, and the native american people were all adapted[adept] torunning very fast over the snow in these birch branch snow shoes,which...if you'd ever tried walking in snow shoes, you know it wasn'teasy.
班长,我又想明白啦!
我不知道后面的路有多长,可我想坚持着跑完全程。

使用道具 举报

声望
寄托币
注册时间
2009-10-6
精华
帖子
发表于 2009-12-29 11:54:28 |显示全部楼层
TPO7 Lecture 4
Listen to part of a lecture in a geology class.

Last time we started to talk about glaciers, and how these masses of ice formed[form] from crytalizedsnow. And some of you were amazed that how huge some of these glaciersare. Now, even though it may be difficult to understand how a huge  mass of ice could move or flow 流动, it's another word for it, it's really known secret that glaicers flow because of gravity. But how they flow, the way they flow, needs some explaining.(12. 主旨题) Now the first type of glacier flow is called basal 基础 slip.

Basal slip, or sliding, as it's often called, basicallyreffers to the slipping or sliding of a glacier across bedrock,actually across a thin layer of water on top of the bedrock. So thisprocess shouldn't be too hard to imagine. What happens is that the ice at the base of the glacier is under a gradual 逐步的 pressure,(13. 逻辑顺序) the pressure coming from the weight of the overlaying 重复占位 ice. And you probably know that under pressure the melting tempreture of water...ah, of the ice, I mean, is reduced. So ice at the base of the glacier melt[melts], even it's below zero degrees salsias???. And this results in a thin layer of water between the glacier and the ground.(13. 逻辑顺序) This layer of water reduces friction 摩擦力, it's like a lubergant[lubricant 润滑剂].(13. 逻辑顺序) And it allows the glacier to slide or slip over the bedrock. (13. 逻辑顺序) OK?

Now the next type of movement we'll talk about is called deformation. You've[You] already know that ice is britle[brittle 易碎的], if you hit it with a hammer, it'll shader[shatter 粉碎] like glass. Butice is also plastic, it can change shape without braking. If you leave,for example, a bar of ice, supported only at one end, the end, theunsupported end will deform under it's own weight(16. 重听), that'll kind of flatten out at one end, get destorted???, deformed.

Think of deformation as a very slow oozing 渗出. Depending on the stresses on the glacier, the ice crystals within it reorganize. And during this reorganization, the ice crystals re-aline in a way that allows them to slide past each other. And so the galcier oozes down hill without any ice actually melting. Now there are a couple of factors that affect the amount of deformation that takes place,(14. 列举,题干定位) or the speed of the glacier's movement, for example, deformation is more likely to occur the thicker the ice is,(14. 列举) because of the gravity of the weight of the ice. And temprature also plays a part here,(14. 列举) in that cold ice does not move as easily as ice that is closer to the melting point. In fact it's not too different from the white oils[oil is], thicker at lower tempratures. So if you have the glacier in a slightly warmer region, it'll flow faster than a glacier in a cooler region.

OK, um, now I'd like to touch briefly on extention[extension 延长] and compression 压缩.Your textbook includes these as types...as a particular type of glaciermovement, but you'll see that there are as many textbooks that omit 省略 it as a type of movement as include it. And I might not include it right now if it weren't in your textbook(17. 重听,人物态度). But, ah, basically the upper parts of glaciers have less pressure on them, so they don't deforme as easily, they tend to be more brittle, and crivases[crevasses 裂缝]can form in these upper layers of the glacier, when the glacier comesinto contact with bedrock walls, or is otherwise under some kind ofstress but can't deform quickly enough. So the ice will expand orconstrict, and that can cause big fishers, big cracks to form in thesurface layers of the ice. And that brittle surface ice moving is sometimes considered a type of glacial movement, depending on which source you're consulting.

Now as you probably know, glaciers generally move really slowly, but sometime they experience surges 汹涌, and during these surges, in some places, they can move atspeeds as high as 7000 meters per year. Now speeds like that are prettyunusual, hundreds of times faster than the regular movement ofglaciers, but you can actually see glaciers move during these surges,(15. 细节,选项改写) though it is rare.

貌似这两篇lecture都是听写难、跟读易。语速慢,但小词多。
班长,我又想明白啦!
我不知道后面的路有多长,可我想坚持着跑完全程。

使用道具 举报

声望
寄托币
注册时间
2009-10-6
精华
帖子
发表于 2009-12-29 18:25:39 |显示全部楼层
本帖最后由 名字是个词儿 于 2010-1-4 15:15 编辑

TPO 8 Lecture4

Listen to part of a lecture in a chemistry class. The professor has been discussing the periodic table of elements.

So, are there any questions?

Yes, Professor Harrison, you were saying that the periodic table ispredictive, what exactly does that mean? I mean I understand how itorganizes the elements, but where is the prediction(12. 题干定位,变向主旨题。)?

OK, let's look at our periodic table again. OK, it groups elements into categaries that share certain properties, right?

Uh-ha.

And its arranges[it's ranged] according to increasing atomic number, which is?

The number of protungs[protons 质子] in each atom of the element.

Right, well, early versions of the periodic table had gaps, missing elements(13. 细节。对象特征). Every time you have[had] one more proton, you have[had] another element. And then, oops, there had been an atomic number for which there is no known element. And the prediction was that an element with that atomic number existed somewhere, but it just hadn't been found yet(12. 主旨题,正确选项改写). And its location in the table would tell you what propaties[properties] that it should have. It was really pretty exciting for scientists that time to find these missing elements and confirm their predicted properties. Um, actually that reminds me of a[the] very good example of all, this element 43, see on the table, these symbles[symbols] for elements 42 and 44?

Well, in early versions of the table, there was no symbol for an element with 43 proton, because no element with43 protons had been discovered yet. So the periodic table had a gapbetween elements 42 and 44. And then, in 1925 a team of chemists lead[led] by a scientist name[named] Ida Tacke claimed that they had found element 43. They had been using a relatively new technology called X-ray dytroscopy[spectroscopy 光谱学], and they were using this to examine an or[ore 矿石] sample, and they claimed they'd found an element with 43 protons, and they named it masurium.

Um, professor Harrison, then how come in my periodic table here, element 43 is Tc, that's technetium, right?

OK, let me add that. Actually, that's the point I'm coming to, hardly anyone believed that Tacke had discovered a new element. X-ray spectroscopy was a new method at the time, and they were never able to isolate enough masurium to have a weighable sample to convince everyone of the discovery, so they were distratagied[discredited 怀疑](15. 两层逻辑因果). But then, 12 years later, in 1937, a different team became the first to sense[synthesize 合成] the[an] element, using apsycrotron[a cyclotron 回旋加速器], and that element had...

43 protons?

That's right, but they named it technetium, to emphosize that it was artificially created with technology(14. 细节。逻辑因果), and people thought that synthesizing this element making it artificially was the only way to get it, we still havn't found it in current[currently in] nature. Now, element 43, whether you call it masurium, or technetium, is radioactive. Why does that matter? What's true other radioact development[of the radioactive element]?

It decays, it turns into other elements? Oh, so does that explains why it was missing in the periodic table?

Exactly. Because of it's radioactive decay 衰变, element 43 doesn't last very long(15. 正确选项改写). And therefore, if it ever had been present on earth, it would had decayed ages ago. So, the masurium people were obviouslywrong, and the technetium people were right, right? Well, that wasthen. Now we know, that element 43 does occur naturally, it can benaturally generated from uranium 铀 atoms that have spontanious[spontaneously 自发的] of split 裂变. And guess what? The ore sample the masurium group was working with had plenty of uranium in it, enough to split into measureable[measurable] amounts of masurium. So, Tacke's team might very well have found small amounts of masurium in the ore sample, it's just that once it was generated from split of uranium, it decayed very quickly. And you know, here's an incredable irony, Ida Tacke, the chemist who led the masurium team, well she was the first to suggest that uranium could break up into smaller pieces, but she didn't know that that was the defence of her own discovery of element 43(17. 重听).

So, is my version of the periodic table wrong? Should element 43 really be called masurium?

Maybe, but, you know, it's hard to tell for sure after all this time if Ida Tacke's group did discover element 43, they didn't...um, publish enough detail on their methods or instruments for us to know for sure(16. 人物态度), but I'd like to think element 43 was discovered twice. As masurium, it was the first element discovered that occurs in nature only from spontaneous fition???. And as technetium, it was the first element discovered in the labratory. And of course, it was an element the periodic table led us to expect existed before anyone had found it or made it.

好长啊这篇,这位教授的口音可真够受的,中气不足。。。好累~

15题错,题干没分析清楚。不是why,是what explain。所以不是问当时人们怎么想,而是什么导致他们这么想。
16题错,听的时候理解混乱,只听到了后面一句,discovered twice。以为教授是承认它的。
班长,我又想明白啦!
我不知道后面的路有多长,可我想坚持着跑完全程。

使用道具 举报

声望
寄托币
注册时间
2009-10-6
精华
帖子
发表于 2009-12-29 20:44:43 |显示全部楼层
TPO 8 Lecture3

Listen to part of a lecture in a history class.

So we've been talking about the printing press, how it changed people'slives, uh, making books more accessable to everyone. More books meantmore reading, right? But as you know, not everyone has perfect vision,this increase in literacy 读写能力,in reading, led to an increase in demand for eyeglasses, and, well,here's something you probably havn't thought of, this increase[increased] demand, impacted societal 社会的 attituds[attitudes] toward eyeglasses. But, um, first let me back up a bit, and talk about vision correction before the printing press(6. 主旨题). And what did people with poor vision do? I mean, especially those few people who were actually literac[literate]? What did they do before glasses were invented?

Well, er, they had different ways of dealing with not seeing well. Ifyou think about it, poor vision wasn't their only problem, I mean,think about the conditions they lived in, houses were dark, sometimesthere weren't any windows, candles were the only source of light. Soin some places, like acient Greece, for example, the wealthiest peoplewith poor vision could have someone else read to them. Easy solution ifyou could have afford it(11. 重听). Another solution was something called a reading stone. Around 1000 CE, European monks would take a piece of clear rock, often quartz 石英,and place it on top of the reading material. The clear rock magnify theletters, making them appear larger, oh it's like what happens when adrop of water falls on something, whatever's below the drop of waterappears larger, right? Well, the reading stone works in a similar way.But rocks like quartz, well, quartz with optical 光学的 quality weren't cheap. Late in the 13th century, glass makers in Italy came up with a less expensive alternative. They made reading stones out of clear glass(7. 细节题,比较), and these clear glass reading stones evolved 演变,进化 into the eye glasses we know today.

So we are pretty sure that glasses were invented in about the late1200s, well over a hundred years before the printing press. But it'snot clear who exactly invented them first, or exactly what year, butrecord show that they were invented in both Europe and China at aboutthe same time. By the way, we call this independant[independent] discovery. ID means when something is invented in different parts of the world at the same time, and it's not as unusual as it sounds(8. 细节题,特征).You can look at the time line charts in the back of your textbook, tosee when things were invented in different cultures at about the sametime, to see what I'm talking about.

So, now let's tie this to what I said before about societal attitudes toward glasses. Inicially[Initially], in parts of Europ and in China, glasses were a symble[symbol] of wisdom and intelegents[intelligence](9. 细节题,特征,PS定位). This is evidence in the art work for[from] the period. European paintings often portrait[portrayed]doctors or judges wearing glasses. In China, glasses were veryexpensive, so in addition to intelligence, they also symbolized afluents[affluence 富裕],ah, wealth. In 14th century Chinese portraits, the bigger the glasses,the smarter and wealthier the subject was. So galsses were a statussymbol in some parts of the world.

Now let's get back to the invention of the printing press in 1440. What happened? suddenly books became readily avialable[available],and more people wanted to read, so the need, well, actually not onlythe need, but the demand for more affordable glasses rosed[rose] drastically 激烈地.Eventually, inexpensive glasses were produced, and then glasses wereavailable to everyone. People could purchase them easily from atravelling padler[peddler 小贩].

还是喜欢这位的口音哪,轻松。
10题为事件发生顺序,定位太散,没标。

8题错,not as unusual 听成了not as usual,排除C。D选项中的literate不认识,猜D。
班长,我又想明白啦!
我不知道后面的路有多长,可我想坚持着跑完全程。

使用道具 举报

声望
寄托币
注册时间
2009-10-6
精华
帖子
发表于 2009-12-29 21:17:51 |显示全部楼层
本帖最后由 名字是个词儿 于 2009-12-29 21:30 编辑

TPO 8 Conversation2

Listen to a conversation between a student and a business professor.

P: So Richard, what's up?
S: Well, I know we have a test coming up on chapters, um...
P: Chapter 3 and 4 from your textbook.
S: Right, 3 and 4. Well, I um... I didn't get something you said in class on monday.
P: All right, do you remember what it was about?
S: Yeah, you were talking about a gym, a health club where people can go to exercise, that kind of thing?
P:OK, but the health club model is actually from chapter 5. So...
S: Oh, chapter 5, oh so it's not...OK, but I guess I still wanna try unders...
P: Of course. Well, I was talking about an issue in stratigic[strategic] marketing. Um...the health club model, um, I mean, with a health club, you might think they would have trouble attracting costumers[customers], right?
S: Well I know when I pass by a health club, and I see all those people working out, they're exercising, I just soon walk on by.
P: Yeah, there's that. Plus, lots of people have exercise equipment at home, or they can play sports with their friends, right?
S: Sure.
P: But nowadays, inspite[in spite] of all that, and expensive membership fees, health clubs are hugely popular, so, how come?
S: I guess that's what I didn't understand.
P:  OK. Basically they have to offer things that most people can't findanywhere else. You know, quality. That means, better exerciseequipment, high-end stuff. Um, and classes, exercise classes, maybearobic[aerobics].
S: I'm not sure ifI...OK, I get it, yeah. And you know another thing is, I think peopleprobably feel good about themselves when they are at the gym. And theycan meet new people, socialize.
P: Right! So health clubs offer high quality facilities, and also they sell an image about people have[having] more fun, relating better to others, and improving their own lives, if they become members.
S: Sure, that makes sense.
P: Well, then, can you think of another business or organization that could benefit form doing this?
S: Um...
P: Think about an important building on campus here. Something everyone uses, a major source of information.
S: You mean like the administrative building?
P: Well, that's not what I had in mind...
S: Oh, you mean the library!
P: Exactly. Libraries. Imagine public libraries, they are information resource for the whole community, right?
S:Well, they can be, but now with the internet and the big bookstores,you can probably get what you need without going to a library.
P: That's true. So, if you were the director of a public library, what would you do about that?
S:To get more people to step in? Well, like you said, better equipment,maybe a super fast internet connection, and not just a good variaty[variety]of books, but also like nice comfortable areas where people can readand do research, things that make them want to come to the library andstay.
P: Great!
S: Oh, and maybe have authors come and do somereadings? Or...I don't kow, special presentations, something peoplecouldn't get at home.
P: Now you're getting it.
S: Thanks, Professor Wilbins, I think so too.
班长,我又想明白啦!
我不知道后面的路有多长,可我想坚持着跑完全程。

使用道具 举报

声望
寄托币
注册时间
2009-10-6
精华
帖子
发表于 2009-12-30 21:38:50 |显示全部楼层
TPO 9-5

Listen to part of a lecture in a geologyclass.

So, continuing our discussion of desertlakes, now I want to focus on what’s known as the Empty Quarter. The Empty Quarteris a huge area of sand that covers about a quarter of the Aribian[Arabian] Panisular[Peninsula半岛]. Today it’s pretty deserlet[desolate 荒芜的], barren, and extremely hot, but there’ve been times in the past when monthon[monsoon季雨] rains soped[soaked 渗透] the empty quarter, andturned it from a desert into grass land that was dotted with lakes and homed[home to] various of animals(6. 主旨题). There were actually two periods of rainin lake formation, the first one began about 37000 years ago, and the secondone dates from about 10000 years ago.

Excuse me, professor, but I’m confused, whywould lakes form in a desert? It’s just sand, after all.

Good question, we know from modern date[day] desert lakes, like Lake Arian[Eyre], south Australia, that under the rightconditions, lakes do form in the desert. But the Empty Quarter lakes disappearedthousands of years ago, they left behind their bed or basins as limestoneformations that we can still see today. They look like low-line[low-lying], white or grey builts[builds], long narrow hills or flat tops, barely ameter high, a recent study of some ofthe formations presents some new theories about the area’s past. Keep in mind,though, that this study only looked at 19 formations, and about a thousand hadbeen documented, so there’s a lot more work to be done7. 细节陈述). Accordingto this study, two factors wereimportant for lake formation8. 题干定位) inthe Empty Quarter. First, the rain that fell there were terancial[torrential 奔流的,猛烈的], so it would have been impossible for all the water to soak intothe ground. Second, as you know, sanddunes contain other types of particles 颗粒 besides sand including clay and silt 淤泥.8. 正确选项改写) Now, when the rain fell,water ran down the sides of the dunes 沙丘, carrying clay and silt particles with it, and wherever theseparticles settled, they formed a pan, a layer that water couldn’t penetrate 渗入. Once this pan formed, further run-off collected and formed a lake.

Now, the older lakes, about half theformations, the ones that started forming 37000 years ago, the limestone 石灰石 formations we see, they’re up to a kilometer long, but only a fewmeters wide, and they’re scattered 分散 along the desert’s floor in valleys between the dunes, so the theoryis the lake’s form there, on the desert floor, in these long narrow valleies[valleys]. And we know because of what we know aboutsimilar ancient desert lakes, we know that the lakes didn’t last very long,from a few months to a few years on average. As for the more recent lakes, theones from 10000 years ago, well, they seem to have been smaller, and so mayhave dried out more quickly. Another differencevery important today for distinguishing between older lake beds and newer onesis the location of the limestone formations9. 列举). The more recent beds are high up onthe dunes. Why these differences? Well, there’re some ideas about that, andthey have to do with the shapes of the sand dunes when the lakes were formed. 37000years ago, the dunes were probably nicely rounded at the top, so the water justran right down their sides to the desert floor. But there were thousands ofyears of wind between the two rainy periods, reshaping the dunes, so during thesecond rainy period, the dunes were kind of chopped up at the top, full of hollows 洼地and reges[ridges], and thesehollows would have captured the rain right there on the top.

Now, in a grass land of lake ecosystem, we’dexpect to find fossils from a variouty[variety]of animals, and nonmoon’s[numerous] fossils havebeen found, at least at these particular sites. But where did these animalscome from? Well, the theory that’s been suggested is that they migrated in formnearby habitats, where they were already living, then as the lakes dryed[dried] up, they died out. The study makes a coupleof interesting points about the fossils, which I hope will be looked at infuture studies. At older lake sites,their fossil remains form hypopotemyses[hippopotamuses],water bufflo[buffalo],9. 列举) animals that spend much oftheir lives standing in water, and also fossils of cattle. However, at the sites of the more recent lakes, there’s only cattlefossils9. 列举), additionalevidence for geologists that these lakes were probably smaller, shallower,because cattle only use water fordrinking, so they survive on much less10. 细节。 对比). Interestingly, there are plantments[clams and], nailshells[snailshells], but no fossils of fish, we are not sure why. Maybe there was a problem with the water,may it was too salty11. 细节。逻辑因果), that’s certainly true with other desert lakes.

8题错,听原文时没有记下clay and silt,也没听出来sand dune,只记下了sand。所以没辨认出正确选项B。并且原文的逻辑关系没记好,所以不清楚选项D是否属于定位处。
班长,我又想明白啦!
我不知道后面的路有多长,可我想坚持着跑完全程。

使用道具 举报

声望
寄托币
注册时间
2009-10-6
精华
帖子
发表于 2009-12-31 15:18:32 |显示全部楼层
TPO 8 Conversation1

Listen to a conversation between a student and a registrar.

S: Hi, I'd like to drop off my graduation form, I understand you need this in order to process my diploma(1. 行为目的).
R: OK, I'll take that. Um, before you leave, let me check our computer,ah, looks like you're ok for graduation, and um, actually I'm getting awarning flag on your academic record here.
S: Really?
R: Yeah, let's see what's what. OK, are you familiar with your graduation requirements?
S: I think so.
R: Well, then you know you need 48 credits in your major field to graduate and at least 24 credits of the intermedia[intermediate 中级的] level or higher. Also, after your second year, you have to meet with your department chair to outline a plan for the rest of your time here(2. 细节题).In the past we also issued letters before students' final year begin,to let them know what they needed to take in the final year to be OK.But we don't do that anymore.
S: I defenitely[definitely]met with my chair person two years ago. He told me that I needed 8 morecourses at the intermediate level or higher in the last 2 years to beOK. So, I'm not sure what the problem is, I made sure I got thosecredits.
R: Unfortunately the computer is usually pretty reliable. So I'm not sure what's going on here(5. 重听题).
S: It could be that I've taken 2 basic courses, but coupled both of them with field experiences.
R: What do you mean?
S: Well, I could only take intro courses, because there were nointermediate level courses available for those particular topics. Mychair person told me that if I did independent field research inaddition to the assigned work in each course, they would count asintermediate level courses. Myclassmates, well, some of my classmates did this for an easy way tomeet their intermediate course requirment, but I did it to get a kindof depth in those topics I was going for(3. 细节的逻辑作用). As it turned out, I really enjoyed the field work, with a nice supplement to just sitting and listening to lectures.
R: I'm sure that's ture, but the computer's still showing them as basic level courses, despite the field work.
S: Ah, I'm not sure what to do, then. I mean, should I cancle my graduation party?
R: No, no reason to get worried like that. Just contect the chair person imidiately[immediately],OK? Tell him to call me as soon as possible so that we can varify yourfield work arrangement and certify those credits right away. It's notlike there's an actual deadline today or anything, but if morethan a few weeks go by, we might have a real problem that would be verydifficult to fix in time for you to graduate(4. 因果逻辑). In fact, there probably would be nothing we could do.
S: I'll get on that.
班长,我又想明白啦!
我不知道后面的路有多长,可我想坚持着跑完全程。

使用道具 举报

声望
寄托币
注册时间
2009-10-6
精华
帖子
发表于 2009-12-31 18:56:53 |显示全部楼层
本帖最后由 名字是个词儿 于 2010-1-4 15:19 编辑

TPO 9-6

Listen to part of a lecture in a linguisticclass, the professor has been discussing animal communication systems.

So last time, we covered the adept[dances] the honeybirds[bees] do to indicate where food to[can] be found, and calls and sounds of differenttypes of birds. Today, I’d like to look at excerlent[some]communication systems found in mammals, particularly in primates 灵长类动物, such as R[orangutans 猩猩], G[chimpanzees 黑猩猩], garrilars[gorillas 大猩猩], yes, Tommas[Tomas]?

Excuse me, professor, but when you talkabout gorilla language, do you mean like those experiments where humans taughtthem sign language, or language like…

OK, wait just a minute, now, who in this class heard me use theword “language”?(17. 重听题) Noone I hope. What we’re talking about here are systems of communication, allright?

Oh, sorry, communication, right. Um, butcould you maybe… like, clarify with the differences?(12. 主旨题)

OK, that’s a fair question. OK, well, tostart with, let’s make it clear that language is a type of communication, notthe other way around. OK, so all communication systems, language included, havecertain features of[in] common. For example,the signals used to communicate from the bees dance movements to the world’sincentances[words and sentences] found in humanlanguage, all these signals convey meaning. And all communication systemsserve a purpose, a primatic[pragmatic 实际的,实用主义的] function of some sort., warning ofdanger, perhaps, or offering other needed information. But there are several featuresparquet???you to human language that have, for the most part, never been found in the communicationsystem of any other species. For one thing, learn ability. Animals have instinctive 本能的communication systems, when a dog, a puppy, gets to a certainage, it’s able to bark, it barks without having to how from other dogs, it justbarks. But much of human language has to be learned from other humans. Whatelse makes human language unique? What makes it different from animal communication?Debra?

How about grammar? Like having verbs,nouns, addutives[adjectives]?

OK, that’s another feature, and it’s afitted[good] example…

I mean, I mention this cause, like…in my biologycourse last year, I kind of remember talking about a study on prairie dogs, where I think the researchers claimed that thewarning cliers[cries] of prairie dogs constitute 组成 language,13. 例子的作用) because they have these differentparts of speech, you know, like the nouns, to name the type of preditors[predator] they spotted. Um, adjectives to describeits size and shape, verbs, um…but now it seems like…

All right, hold on a moment, I’m familiarwith the study you’re talking about, and for those of you who don’t know, prairiedogs are not actual dogs, they are a type of rodent who were born[burrows 挖洞] in the ground and the grass lands of the western United States andMexico. In this study, the researchers looked at the high pitched barks a prairiedog makes when it spots predator, and form this they made some pretty…well, they made some claims about these calls qualifyingas an actual language, with its own premetive[primitive原始的,简单的] grammar. But actually these warning calls are no different fromthose found among certain types of monkeys.14. 细节题,人物观点) And, well… let’s not even get into the question of whether conceptsof noun and verb can be meaningfully applied to animal communication.

Anotherthing that distinguish it with[distinguishes] areal language is a property we call disgreedness[discreteness不连续性,离散性],16. 例子作用) inother words, messages are built up out of smaller parts, sentences out ofwords, words out of individual sounds, etc. Now, maybe you could say that the prairiedogs massage is built from smaller parts, like... say for example a prairie dogbarks of[spots a] predator, a big caody[coyote 丛林狼], approaching graphicly[rapidly], sothe prairie dog makes a call that means coyote, then one that means large, andthen another to indicate its speed. But youreally suppose it makes any difference what order these calls come in? No. But the discrete 不连续的 unites that make up language canbe put together in different ways. Those smaller parts can be used to form an infinite 无限的 number ofmessages,15. 细节题,对象特征) includingmessages that are completely novel, that have never been expressed before. For example,we can differnshape[differentiate 区分] between “a large coyote moves fast” and, say…”move the large coyote fast”,16. 题干定位) or “move fast large coyote”, and I truly doubt whether anyone hasever other[uttered 发出声音 either of] the[these] senses[sentences] before. Human language is productive16. 例子作用) and open ended communicationsystem, or is[whereas] no other communicationsystem has this kind of property.

And another feature of language that’s not displayedby any form of animal communication is what we call “displacement 位移,取代”, that is…language is abstractina[abstractenough] that we can talk about things that aren’t in present here and now. Things like “My friendJoe is not in the room”, or “It’ll probably rain next Thursday”. Prairie dogsmay be able to tell you about a halk[hawk 鹰,隼] circling overhead right now, but they’ve never shown any inclination倾向 to describe
the one they saw last week.

13题错,题目问“为什么提到这个study”,因为这个study的研究结果声称动物也许有语言。C正确。而我理解成了“说这句话的是为了解释什么”,D选项“为了表明她是从别的课堂上听说这些知识的”。根本上还是没听懂原意,这女生实际上也是对老师的观点提出异议,另一堂课的study只是一个佐证。
班长,我又想明白啦!
我不知道后面的路有多长,可我想坚持着跑完全程。

使用道具 举报

声望
寄托币
注册时间
2009-10-6
精华
帖子
发表于 2009-12-31 23:44:30 |显示全部楼层
本帖最后由 名字是个词儿 于 2010-1-1 10:22 编辑

TPO 9-1

Listen to a conversation between a studentand her professor.

P: Before we get started, I just wanted tosay I’m glad you chose food science for you major course of study.
S: Yeah, it seems like a great industry toget involved with. I mean with a four year degree in food science, I’ll alwaysbe able to find a job.
P: You’reabsoulutly[absolutely] right.2. 细节作用) Before entering acedamia[academia 学术界], I worked as a scientist for several food manufactures and for theU.S. food and drug administration. I even worked on a commercial fishing boatin Alaska a couple of the summers while I was an undergraduate. We’d bring inthe days[day’s] catch to a floating processer[processor] boat, where the fish got clean[cleaned], patch[packed]and frosted[frozen], right at sea.
S: That’s amazing. As a matter of fact, I’msort of interested in food packaging.
P: Well, for that, you’ll need a strongbackground in physics, maths[math] andchemistry.
S: Those are my best subjects. For a longtime, I was leading towards getting my degree in engineering.
P: Well, then you shouldn’t have a problem.Unfortunatly[And fortunately], at thisuniversity, the department of food science offers a program in food packaging.Elsewhere, you might have the hammer courses to get all[haveto hammer courses together] on your own.
S: I guess I’d let out then.??? Um, so since myappointment today is to discuss my term paper topic,(1. 主旨题) I wanted to ask, could I write aboutfood packaging? I realize we are supposed to research food-born bacteria, butfood packaging must play a role in all of that, right?
P: Absolutely. Maybe you should do somepalimilar[preliminary 预备的,初步的] research on that.
S: I have. That’s the problem. I’m overwhelmed.5. 重听题)
P: Well, in your reading, did anythinginterest you in particular, I mean something you like to investigate.
S: Well, I was surprised about thedifferent types of packaging used for milk, you know, clear, plastic bottles, opick[opaque 不透明的] bottles, cardboard containers.
P: True. In fact, the type of packaging hassomething to do with the way milk’s treated against bacterias[bacteria].
S: Yeah, and I read a study that showed how light can get milk a funny flavor, andincrease[decrease] its neutrational[nutritional 营养的] value,3. 细节内容) and yet most of milkbottles are clear, what’s up with that?

P: Well, consumers like being able tovisually examine the color of the milk, that might be one reason that opaquebottles havn’t[haven’t] really caught on, butthat study…I’m sure there is more studies on the subject, you shouldn’t baseyour paper on only one study.
S: Maybe I should write about those opaqueplastic bottles, find out if there is any scientific reason they aren’t usedmore widely? Maybe opaque bottles aren’t as good at keeping bacteria fromgrowing in milk, after the bottles been opened or something. But where to beginresearching this, I don’t have a …
P: You know, there is a dairy not far from here in Chelsie[Chelsea].4. 细节题干定位,对象性质) It was one of the firstdiaries to bottle milk in opaque plastic, but now they are using clear plasticagain. And they are always very supportive of the university and of ourstudents, so if you wanted…
S: Um, yeah, I like that idea.

3题错,完全没听到这个内容。这是这篇文章逻辑的重要部分,所以很险。如果其他题考逻辑关系,我就废了。
班长,我又想明白啦!
我不知道后面的路有多长,可我想坚持着跑完全程。

使用道具 举报

声望
寄托币
注册时间
2009-10-6
精华
帖子
发表于 2010-1-3 19:49:50 |显示全部楼层
本帖最后由 名字是个词儿 于 2010-1-3 22:13 编辑

TPO 10-5

Listen to part of the lecture in an ecologyclass.

So, we’ve been talking about nutrients, theelements in the environment that are essential for living organisms to develop,live a healthy life, and reproduce. Some nutrients are quite scarce 罕见的, they are just as in[there just isn’t]much of them in the environment, but fortunately they get recycled. Whennutrients are used over and over in the environment, we call that a nutrientcycle. Because of the importance of nutrients and their scarcity, nutrient recyclingis one of the most significant ecosystem processes that we’ll cover in thiscourse. The three most important nutrient cycles are the Nitragyn[nitrogen] cycle, the carbin[carbon]cycle, and the one we are going to talkabout today, the phosphorus cycle.(6. 主旨题)

So, the phosphorus cycle has been studied alot by ecologists, because like I said, phosphorus is an important nutrient,and it’s not so abundant. The largest quantities are found in rocks in[at] the bottom of the ocean. How does phosphorus getthere? Well, let’s start with the phosphorus in rocks. The rocks get brokendown into smaller and smaller particles as their weathers[they are weathered]. They are weathered slowly by rainand wind over long periods of time. Phosphorus is slowly released as the rocksare broken down, and it get spread around into the soil. Once it’s in the soil,plants obsorb[absorb] it through their roots.

So that’s the reason people minerocks that contain a lot of phosphorus--To help the agriculture?

Ah-ha. Theymine the rock, artificially break it down, and put the phosphorus into agricultral[agricultural] fertilizers. So humans can play a rolein the first part of phosphorus cycle,7. 列举) the breaking down of rocks and the spreading of phosphorus into thesoil by speading[speeding] up the rate at whichthis natural process occurs, you see. Now, after the phosphorus is in the soil,plants grow, they use phosphorus from the soil to grow. And when they die, theydecompose, and the phosphorus is recycled back into the soil, same thing withthe animals that eat those plants or eat other animals that have eaten thoseplants. We call all of this the land phase of the phosphorus cycle. But a lotof the phosphorus in soil gets washed away into rivers by rain and melting snow,and so begins another phase of the cycle, can anyone guess what it is called? Nancy?

Well, if the one is called the land phase,then this has to be called the water phase, right?

Yes,that’s such a difficult point, isn’t it?11. 重听题。) In a normal water phase, rivers eventually empty into ocean, andonce in the oceans, the phosphorus gets absorbed by water plants, like algae.Then fish eat the algae or eat other fish that have eaten those plants. But thewater phase is sometimes affected by accessive[excessive]fertilizers. If not all of the phosphorus gets used by the crops, and largeamounts of phosphorus gets into the rivers, this could cause a rapid growth ofwater plants in the river, which can lead to the water waste getting clot tothe[clogged with] organisms, which can changethe flow of the water. Several current studies are looking at these affacts[effects], and Ireally do hope we can find a way to deal with this issue before theseecosystems are adversely affected.9. 人物观点) OK? Of course another waythat humans can interrupt the normal process is fishing.7. 列举) The fishing industry helps bringphosphorus back to land. In the normal water phase, the remaining phosphorus makesits way, settles, to the bottom of the ocean, and get mixed into oceansediments. But remember, this is a cycle. The phosphorus at the bottom of theocean has to somehow make its way back to the surface, to complete the cycle,to begin the cycle all over again. Aftermillions of years, powerful geological forces, like underwater vocanals[volcanoes], lift up the ocean sediments to for newland.8. 例子的作用) When an underwater volcanoe[volcano] pushes submerch[submerge]rock to the surface, a new island is created. Then over many more years thephosphorus-rick rocks of the new land begin to erode, and the cycle continues.

What about…well, you said that the nitrogencycle is also an important nutrient cycle, and there a lot of nitrogen in theatmosphere, so I was wondering, is there a lot of phosphorus in the atmosphere,too?

Good question, George. You are right toguess that phosphorus can end up in earth’s atmosphere. It can’t move from theland or from the oceans to the atmosphere, and vise versa. However there is just not a substantial 可观的 amount of itthere, like there is with nitrogen,10. 对比) it’s a very minimal quantity.

11错。很少错重听题啊,阴沟里翻了船了。教授竟然在说反话~~好吧,是我对整篇文意理解不深。
班长,我又想明白啦!
我不知道后面的路有多长,可我想坚持着跑完全程。

使用道具 举报

声望
寄托币
注册时间
2009-10-6
精华
帖子
发表于 2010-1-3 22:14:04 |显示全部楼层
TPO 10-6

Listen to part of a lecture in a psychologyclass.

OK,if asked about the earliest thing you can remember, I’ll bet for most of you,your earliest memory would be from about age 3, right?13. 细节的作用) Well, that’s true formost adults. We can’t remember anything that happened before the age of three,and this phenomenon is so wide spread and well documented, it has a name. It’scalled childhood amnesia and was first documented in 1893.

As I said, this phenomenon refers to adultsnot being able to remember childhood incidents. It’s not children trying toremember events from last month or last year. Of course it follows that if youcan’t remember an incident as a child, you probably won’t remember it as anadult. OK? So why is this? What are thereasons for childhood amnesia?12. 主旨题) Well,once a popular explanation was thatchildhood memories are repressed 抑制,15. 列举) that memories are exturbing[disturbing],so that as adults, we keep them buried, and so we can’t recall them. And thisis based on…well it’s not based on thekind of solid research in lab testing I want to talk about today.14. 细节的特征) So let’s put thatexplanation aside, and concentrate on just 2. OK?

It could be that as children we do formmemories of the age prio[prior] to age 3, butforget them as we grow old. That’s one explanation. Another possibility is that children younger than three lack somecognitive capacities for memory.15. 列举) Andthat idea, that children aren’t able toform memories, that’s been the dominant belief in psychology for the past 20years. And this idea is very much tight[tied]to things, the theory of Jean Piaget17. 观点对比) and also to language development in children.

So, Piaget’s theory of cognitivedevelopment- Piaget suggested that because they don’t have language, childrenyounger than 18-24 months live in the here and now, that is, they lack themeans to symbolicly[symbolically] representobjects and event that are not physically present, every get that? Piagetproposed that young children don’t have a way to represent things that aren’tright in front of them. That’s what language does, right? Words representthings, ideas. Once language starts to develop, from[for]about age 2, they do have a system for symbolic representation and can talkabout things which aren’t in their immediate environment, including the past.Of course he didn’t claim that inphants[infants]don’t have any sort of memory, it ‘s acknowledged that they can recognize somestimulize[stimuli 刺激物], like faces. And for many years this model was very much in favorin psychology, even though, memory tests were never performed on youngchildren.

Well, finally in the 1980s, a study wasdone, and this study showed that very young children under the age of 2 do havethe capacity for recall. Now, if the children can’t talk, how was recalltested? Well that’s a good question, since the capacity for recall has alwaysbeen linked with the ability to talk. So the researchers set up an experiment,using imitation模仿 based tasks, adults use probs??? toys, or other objects to demonstrate an actionthat have two steps. The children were asked to imitate the steps immediately,and then again after delays of one ormore months, and even after the delay, the children could recall or replicate 复制 the action. Theobjects used, the steps involved, and the order of the steps,16. 描述过程) even children as young asnine month. Now tests showed that there was a faster rate of forgetting amongthe youngest children, but most importantly, it showed that the development ofrecall did not depend on language development, and that was the importantfinding. I guess I should add that thefindings don’t say that there was no connection between the development andmemory.17.排除D选项) There is some evidence that being able to talk about an event doeslead to have a stronger memory of that event. But that doesn’t seem to be thereal issue here. So back to our question, about the cause to childhood amnesia,well, there is something called “the rate of forgetting”, and childhood amnesia may reflect a high rateof forgetting.15. 列举) Inother words, children under the age of 3do form memories,17. 观点对比) anddo so without language, but they forget the memories at a fast rate, probablyfaster than adults do. Researchers have set a standard, sort of an expectedrate of forgetting, but that expected rate was set based on tests done onadults. So what is the rate of forgetting for children under the age of 3? Weexpect it to be high, but the tests to prove this really hasn’t been done yet.

从听写可以看出来,其实听不懂的不多。但错了两道,问题在于,第一,生词都是关键词。第二,大脑缓存不够,听了上句没下句,语速快漏信息。

15题错,E是因为没听清,只听到了相似的。另外,其实C在笔记里可以找到,没仔细找,大意了。
17题错,听漏关键信息
班长,我又想明白啦!
我不知道后面的路有多长,可我想坚持着跑完全程。

使用道具 举报

RE: Q的听写作业 [修改]
您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 立即注册

问答
Offer
投票
面经
最新
精华
转发
转发该帖子
Q的听写作业
https://bbs.gter.net/thread-1034314-1-1.html
复制链接
发送
关闭

站长推荐

寄托24周年庆,发祝福送寄托币!
寄托24岁生日,邀请寄托的小伙伴在本命年周年庆发出你对寄托的祝福, 可以是简单的一句“生日快乐”, 送出祝福小伙伴将会有寄托币奖励!

查看 »

报offer 祈福 爆照
回顶部