声望
寄托币
注册时间
2012-5-23
精华
帖子
发表于 2012-6-6 14:12:11 |显示全部楼层
6.5        Professor
        Today, we are taking a little detour from the grand styles of public architecture
        we’ve been studying to look at residential architectures in the United States.
        Since this is something we can all identify with, I think it will help us see the
        relationship between the function of a structure and its style or form. This has
        been an ongoing theme in our discussion, and we will be getting back to it just
        a moment. But before we get started, I want you to take a moment to think:
        does anyone know what the single most popular style for a house in the United
        States is today? Bob?

Student 1
        “I bet it is the ranch-style house.”       
        Professor
        “Well, in this area, probably. But aren’t we typical? Yes, Sue.”

Student 2
        “How about the kind of house my grandparents live in? They call it a Cape
        Cod.

Professor
        That’s the one. Here is a drawing of what we consider of a classic Cape Cod
        house. These days, you see this style all over the United States. But it first
        showed up in U.S. northeast, in the New England region, around the late
        1600s. For those of you who don't know the northeast costal region, Cape Cod
        is a peninsula, a narrow strip of land that jets out into the Atlantic, and so many
        houses in this particular style were built on Cape Cod,
that the name of the
        place became the name of the style. Now why did the Cape Cod style house
        become so popular in the northeast? Well, one reason is that it's a great
        example of form following function. We’ve talked about this design principle a
        lot about form following function. And what did we say it’s meant? Someone
        give me an application of this principle. What did this concept that form should
        follow function? How would it be applied to housing design?

Student 2
        Well, if it means the design of the building, it should be based on the needs of
        people who use it. Then, well, the architect has to be very practical to think
        about the people who actually be living in the house or working in the office
        building, whatever, so for the architect, it’s all about users not about showing
        off how creative you can be.

Professor
        Good, of course, for a Cape Cod house, it might be even more accurate to say
        that form also follows climate. Who knows what the climate like on Cape Cod?

Student 1
        Cold in the winter…

Student 2
        And whenever I visit my grandparents, it’s really wet. It’s usually either raining
        or snowing or foggy and windy, too. I guess because it’s so exposed to the
        ocean?

Professor
        That’s right. So take another look at this drawing, and you can image how this
        design might be particularly helpful in that kind of climate. Notice how the
        house is fairly low to the ground. This relatively low compact structure helps
        the house withstand the strong winds blowing off the ocean. And look at the
        slope of the roof, the steep angle helps keep off all that rain and snow that
        accumulates in the winter. Another thing, Cape Cod houses usually face south
        to take advantage of the sun’s warm through the windows. That’s helpful in
        winter. Now what can you tell me about the chimney, about its location.

Student 2
        Well, it’s in the middle. Because, does that have something to do with heating
        the houses? I mean since the heat never has to travel very far.

Student 1
        That means you can heat the house more efficiently, right?

Professor
        Exactly, now see how the house has very little exterior decoration[/b], that’s also
        typical of early Cape Cod houses. The wind was one reason, nothing sticking
        out
might blow away in the harsh weather, but there was probably another
        reason, not related to the climate, more reflection of a rural New England
        society back then, you see Cape Cod houses were not built in the big cities,
        where all the rich people lived back then. These were the modest dwellings the
        people who built them simply couldn’t afford lots of expensive decorated
        details. But that was more than just matter of money. In these rural areas,
        people depended on each other for survival. Neighbors had to help and
        supported each other in the difficult environment, so you didn't want to appear
        to be showing off. You wanted to avoid anything that might set you apart from
        your neighbors, the same people you might need to help you someday. So all
        these help to create an attitude of conformity in the community, and you can
        see why a modest, a very plain style would become so widely imitated through
        out rural New England.

Student 2
        It is plain, but you know its nice looking.

Professor
        Good point, and in fact it’s precisely that as aesthetic appeal, the…the purity,
        the nearly perfect proportions of the houses…that’s another reason for the cape
        cod enduring popularity even in the places where the climate was so mild, it’s
        functional design doesn't matter.

使用道具 举报

RE: 【听力特训---BY LYNX】 [修改]
您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 立即注册

问答
Offer
投票
面经
最新
精华
转发
转发该帖子
【听力特训---BY LYNX】
https://bbs.gter.net/thread-1385449-1-1.html
复制链接
发送
关闭

站长推荐

寄托24周年庆,发祝福送寄托币!
寄托24岁生日,邀请寄托的小伙伴在本命年周年庆发出你对寄托的祝福, 可以是简单的一句“生日快乐”, 送出祝福小伙伴将会有寄托币奖励!

查看 »

报offer 祈福 爆照
回顶部