寄托币
注册时间
2014-3-4
精华
帖子

寄托兑换店纪念章 US-applicant 荷兰队

发表于 2014-3-25 11:08:50 |显示全部楼层
@美妍

Hi Megan! How are you? I’d like to know what the biggest challenge is for you to study at William & Mary College, one the most prestigious U.S. Liberal Arts Colleges. And how did you conquer the challenge?

Thanks!

使用道具 举报

声望
寄托币
注册时间
2012-7-19
精华
帖子
发表于 2014-3-25 11:11:26 |显示全部楼层
homuncilus 发表于 2014-3-24 17:30
NO.5 wang_come_on

Q1: @三位美国嘉宾

What recommendations would you give to the international students who have trouble adapting to the American culture and university life? What are the common problems you have discovered that international students have when communicating with their American peers and how do you think they can be solved.

I think one of the problems that many international students have in adapting to American culture and university life is not finding a group of friends. American university life is very group oriented, so you should try to join a club, sports team, or organization within the university to find other students who share similar interests with you. The most common problem that I have seen for international students communicating with American students is that the international students just don't keep trying to communicate with American students, they stay within their international group. But, don't be shy when you're at university, leave your comfort zone and go join an activity (like a club or team) and make friends in your classes. Even if you are worried about your English try to go talk to other students. The best way to improve your English skills is to keep practicing with native speakers.

~Megan Wells (卫美妍)

使用道具 举报

声望
寄托币
注册时间
2014-3-4
精华
帖子

发表于 2014-3-25 11:11:32 |显示全部楼层
@Mr. Duran and Joanna and Megan

What student organizations/community activities that Mr. Duran has participated and Joanna and Megan are participating now? What abilities that those out-of-classroom activities help you strengthen? How do you benefit from them?

使用道具 举报

声望
寄托币
注册时间
2014-3-4
精华
帖子

发表于 2014-3-25 11:12:39 |显示全部楼层
@三位美国嘉宾

Could Mr. Duran, Joanna and Megan introduce respectively about the classroom culture in your university?

Thanks!

使用道具 举报

声望
寄托币
注册时间
2012-7-19
精华
帖子
发表于 2014-3-25 11:13:49 |显示全部楼层
NO.5 wang_come_on

Q1: @三位美国嘉宾

Q1: What recommendations would you give to the international students who have trouble adapting to the American culture and university life? What are the common problems you have discovered that international students have when communicating with their American peers and how do you think they can be solved?

Those are excellent questions - living away from home can be challenging for anyone, whether it is across the province or across the globe.  I went to school 5,000 km from my hometown, not knowing any fellow students.  I was able to adapt quickly, and here is how:

1.) Bring a few reminders from home, whether they are some familiar foods, memorabilia from your favorite hometown sports team, or pictures of family and friends.  These will help you remember who you are and where you are coming from.

2.) Immerse yourself in the local culture - you are studying in the United States to receive exposure to a culture and a way of life vastly different from your own, and this is true of all students studying abroad.  While also balancing your studies (particularly homework), join a diverse range of student groups, become involved in community service, foreign cultural events, and campus sports.  You are guaranteed to challenge your own perceptions, and those of your peers.  

As for communication, I would suggest you not be afraid - many English-speakers do not realize they speak too quickly or are unclear in their speaking.  With exposure to those who do not speak English as a first language, these students will improve their speaking while you improve your listening.  Win-win! The important part is to not allow yourself to be intimidated.  Americans do not believe in the "face" culture, and will not think less of you if you make a mistake.  They will likely encourage you to ask them to repeat themselves or explain what they are saying.

Thanks,
Ruben

使用道具 举报

声望
寄托币
注册时间
2014-3-4
精华
帖子

发表于 2014-3-25 11:16:11 |显示全部楼层
@吴迪

要想进一步了解美国学生每日学习内容的话,请问在哪里可以买到美国大学的教科书和参考资料呢?

使用道具 举报

声望
寄托币
注册时间
2012-7-19
精华
帖子
发表于 2014-3-25 11:16:52 |显示全部楼层
NO.6 绿岛岛@Joanna Abaroa

Hi, Joanna! I'm an undergraduate who is preparing for further study abr ...

Hello, thanks for the question! Any university will be able to put you in contact with their students studying abroad so that you have a better idea of what life is like. In fact, they probably have an ambassadorial program for those studying abroad or those who have studied abroad to share their experiences. I would suggest emailing the advisor or college contact who is a liason for studying abroad. They will surely help you get in touch with students who can share experiences. At UPenn, the study abroad website has email addresses of students abroad whom you can contact. The website can be found here: https://global.upenn.edu/pennabroad UPenn also provides information of Penn students who are involved with the admissions offices to give prospective students an idea of what life is like at Penn. Good luck with your studies!

使用道具 举报

声望
寄托币
注册时间
2014-3-4
精华
帖子

发表于 2014-3-25 11:17:58 |显示全部楼层
林梦悠芫 @Ruben Duran

Hi, I am going to further my graduate study this fall in landscape architecture. And there are two schools of admissoin I wanna to choose from, Clemson and University of Georgia. I am puzzled about choosing schools.

1) What do you think of atteding a college where there are too many chinese students enrolled? Will it narrow the social circle particular for us chinses students?

2) Is it easy to find a job in Georgia State as a foreign student with master degree in landscape architecture?(Similar to a question a student had asked)

Thank you for your time.

使用道具 举报

声望
寄托币
注册时间
2012-7-19
精华
帖子
发表于 2014-3-25 11:19:03 |显示全部楼层
homuncilus 发表于 2014-3-25 11:11

What student organizations/community activities that Mr. Duran ha ...

Excellent question!

I was involved in many organizations - campus journalism, student government, and community service.  Each of these strengthened my college experience in different ways, and these vary by each individual.  All of these activities strengthened my interpersonal skills, and helped me to communicate both orally and in writing.  One does not need to benefit materially from student activities, but can simply find the joy of sharing with others a hobby or interest.  Most U.S. colleges and universities have hundreds of student groups, focusing on every area imaginable.  I would encourage you to check the website of your prospective schools under "Student Life" to find out more.

Thanks,
Ruben

使用道具 举报

声望
寄托币
注册时间
2012-7-19
精华
帖子
发表于 2014-3-25 11:22:28 |显示全部楼层
homuncilus 发表于 2014-3-25 11:01
@Joanna

Hi Joanna, I am a Chinese student who will study in the U.S. in the coming fall. I am wor ...

Hi there, thanks for your question. Adapting to college is hard enough without the factor of being an international student speaking a second or third language. Remember it always takes time to adapt to any new situation. I have several friends at UPenn who come from China, and I went to high school in Maine with several Chinese students who are now at other universities in the United States. Most of them felt that it took time to adapt but they were able to do so by making friends with American students and asking for help when they needed it. They all stress the importance of being true to themselves to achieve social goals and working hard to achieve their academic goals. It’s important to be proactive and ask questions when you have them instead of waiting for help to come to you. The best way to improve oral skills is to talk to people! Be patient with yourself and you will certainly improve. This is always difficult for me but I find when I ask questions or reach out to other people they respond in kind. It always takes more than one try to get something right. Don’t be discouraged by a bad experience. I have learned a lot from the different experiences I’ve had that have allowed me to be more successful in life. Good luck!

使用道具 举报

声望
寄托币
注册时间
2012-7-19
精华
帖子
发表于 2014-3-25 11:23:20 |显示全部楼层
homuncilus 发表于 2014-3-25 11:08
@美妍

Hi Megan! How are you? I’d like to know what the biggest challenge is for you to study at  ...

William & Mary is a difficult school, the students are very competitive to get the best grades, and there is a lot of pressure on students to be the best students in the classes. There are many challenges that the students face like a heavy workload, very detailed tests, lots of essays, etc. But the biggest struggle for me is time management. I usually get my work done on time, but I sometimes wait too long to start my work and feel a lot of stress to finish a project. To overcome this challenge I try to set up a timeline to work on certain project or essay that is coming due. If an essay is due on a Friday, then I make a goal to have half of it done by the Wednesday before.

But, if you ever struggle with any assignment the best thing to do is to ask your professor for help. All the professors that I have had, have been very willing to help me better understand a lesson, or point me in the right direction for research on a topic.

使用道具 举报

声望
寄托币
注册时间
2012-7-19
精华
帖子
发表于 2014-3-25 11:30:50 |显示全部楼层
homuncilus 发表于 2014-3-24 17:31
NO.8 广华街W @Joanna

Hi Joanna, thanks a lot for your time! Here are my questions.

Hello, great questions! Preparing for law school in America is a big deal. Most American students take a “pre-law” track if it’s available at their school. If not, there are many undergraduate clubs or groups for those interested in law school. These groups help students understand what law school is like and how to prepare for it. American students will spend a lot of time (perhaps during winter or summer break) preparing to take the LSAT by taking prep courses or buying preparation textbooks. Many American students will try to find internships with law firms or try to shadow a law student or lawyer to understand the career and make sure it is something they want to pursue.

Your second question is an interesting one, and I’m afraid I don’t have a great answer for you right now. However, I do know a couple people who are international LLM students that I could reach out to and get a better answer. If you email me I can respond with a better answer on this topic. My email address is joanna.abaroa@gmail.com

使用道具 举报

声望
寄托币
注册时间
2014-3-4
精华
帖子

发表于 2014-3-25 11:31:12 |显示全部楼层
小梦梦 @Ruben Duran

Thanks to give us an opportunity to communicate with each other.

You know Chinese students to realize the university via the USNEWS website rank. However, I think there are also other element to judge the university education level. For example, the Geo location is a necessary reason to select a school. Therefore, I want to know how to select and define our dream school.

For instance, I have already got admissions from MSU, SIT (Stevens tech), IIT (Illinois tech), although MSU has a good rank in CS (Computer Science), however, the SIT have a good Geo location, especially in internship.

使用道具 举报

声望
寄托币
注册时间
2012-7-19
精华
帖子
发表于 2014-3-25 11:34:25 |显示全部楼层
homuncilus 发表于 2014-3-25 11:12
@三位美国嘉宾

Could Mr. Duran, Joanna and Megan introduce respectively about the classroom cultur ...

Hi there!

American schools are very different from the Chinese style of instruction.  In my experience, the most challenging style for most Chinese students is called the Socratic method, where the professor calls on students individually and without warning to explain a particular topic.  If you are not familiar with this method of lecture, I would suggest researching it a bit.

Moreover, rote memorization is rarely sufficient in American classrooms; rather, students are expected to apply the basic lessons and use critical thinking to solve unique problems.  This can be particularly challenging in courses in the humanities, science and engineering.

Critical thinking can also be a challenge for many traditional Chinese students - there is no one, perfect answer, rather there is a problem which may require new or innovative thinking, or include a solution never seen before.

Thanks,
Ruben

使用道具 举报

声望
寄托币
注册时间
2012-7-19
精华
帖子
发表于 2014-3-25 11:34:46 |显示全部楼层
homuncilus 发表于 2014-3-25 11:11

What student organizations/community activities that Mr. Duran ha ...

Great question. I am involved in a couple organizations outside of the classroom and I find that they add a lot to my college experience. First, I am involved in my religious group, which allows me to discuss my beliefs and provides a social network that I can rely on for any of my needs whether they are physical, emotional or spiritual. This network gives me confidence to stand up for what I believe in and be apart from the typical American college culture. Second, my work-study job allows me to tutor elementary school students in West Philadelphia. This job helps me think about others and forget about my own studies and other worries for a few hours every week. I feel good about giving to others and my eyes are opened to experiences outside of my own college life. Third, I am in a dance group. This is another social network that is almost like a second family to me. We rehearse a lot which is a great way for me to exercise and have a creative outlet. All three of these groups have given me opportunities for leadership in which I have learned a great deal. If you get involved in out-of-classroom groups, which I encourage, you should try to take on leadership roles. They will help your resume and they will help you develop skills you will need in life.

使用道具 举报

RE: 【问答汇总】[寄托在线谈]『去美国前你该知道的那些事儿』 [修改]
您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 立即注册

问答
Offer
投票
面经
最新
精华
转发
转发该帖子
【问答汇总】[寄托在线谈]『去美国前你该知道的那些事儿』