注册时间
2015-5-17
精华
帖子

寄托兑换店纪念章 2015 US-applicant 满1年在任版主

发表于 2015-8-26 06:25:38 |显示全部楼层
本帖最后由 carrot_Troy 于 2015-8-26 06:28 编辑

在这篇结束stove I吧!不再表难词和长难句,大家根据自己情况查词练句子~附上第一集链接
https://bbs.gter.net/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=1872268&page=1&extra=#pid1779856084

上篇写道又有俩人找上门来,问Scrooge要善款的,S必然不能给啊。这里摘大段大段的对话!
At this festive season of the year, Mr. Scrooge,” said the gentleman, taking up a pen, “it is more than usually desirable that we should make some slight provision for the Poor and destitute, who suffer greatly at the present time. Many thousands are in want of common necessaries; hundreds of thousands are in want of common comforts, sir.”
“Are there no prisons?” asked Scrooge.
“Plenty of prisons,” said the gentleman, laying down the pen again.
“And the Union workhouses?” demanded Scrooge. “Are they still in operation?”
“They are. Still,” returned the gentleman, “I wish I could say they were not.”
“The Treadmill and the Poor Law are in full vigour, then?” said Scrooge.
“Both very busy, sir.”
“Oh! I was afraid, from what you said at first, that something had occurred to stop them in their useful course,” said Scrooge. “I’m very glad to hear it.”
“Under the impression that they scarcely furnish Christian cheer of mind or body to the multitude,” returned the gentleman, “a few of us are endeavouring to raise a fund to buy the Poor some meat and drink, and means of warmth. We choose this time, because it is a time, of all others, when Want is keenly felt, and Abundance rejoices. What shall I put you down for?”
“Nothing!” Scrooge replied.
“You wish to be anonymous?”
“I wish to be left alone,” said Scrooge. “Since you ask me what I
wish, gentlemen, that is my answer. I don’t make merry myself at Christmas and I can’t afford to make idle people merry. I help to support the establishments I have mentioned—they cost enough; and those who are badly off must go there.”
“Many can’t go there; and many would rather die.”
“If they would rather die,” said Scrooge, “they had better do it, and decrease the surplus population. Besides—excuse me—I don’t know that.”
“But you might know it,” observed the gentleman.
“It’s not my business,” Scrooge returned. “It’s enough for a man to understand his own business, and not to interfere with other people’s. Mine occupies me constantly. Good afternoon, gentlemen!”
冰冰冷的一句Good afternoon...

接下来Dickens描绘了一番圣诞节的平和景象,继而再转回S。他先是骂走了一个唱圣诞颂歌的,又把他的小员工骂了一通(人家圣诞节想请假。。)虽然最后答应了,不过听听这语气哦,估计以后还是要把工资克扣回来的。
“You’ll want all day to-morrow, I suppose?” said Scrooge.
“If quite convenient, sir.”
“It’s not convenient,” said Scrooge, “and it’s not fair. If I was to stop half-a-crown for it, you’d think yourself ill-used, I’ll be bound?”
The clerk smiled faintly.
“And yet,” said Scrooge, “you don’t think me ill-used, when I pay a day’s wages for no work.”
The clerk observed that it was only once a year.
“A poor excuse for picking a man’s pocket every twenty-fifth of December!” said Scrooge, buttoning his great-coat to the chin. “But I suppose you must have the whole day. Be here all the earlier next morning.”

现在S自己也要打烊回家啦。D描写他的房子,长的很不顺眼。就好像那个房子走错了地方出不去一样。非常有趣的personification
They were a gloomy suite of rooms, in a lowering pile of building up a yard, where it had so little business to be, that one could scarcely help fancying it must have run there when it was a young house, playing at hide-and-seek with other houses, and forgotten the way out again.

这么阴森森的房子确实适合闹鬼啊,果然S开门的时候隐隐约约看到他的生意老伙伴Marley了。S家的楼道非常非常的阔而阴森。
You may talk vaguely about driving a coach-and-six up a good old flight of stairs, or through a bad young Act of Parliament; but I mean to say you might have got a hearse up that staircase, and taken it broadwise, with the splinter-bar towards the wall and the door towards the balustrades: and done it easy.
drive a coah-and-six through 是个很有趣的习语,一般形容一个论断,说辞,律法等漏洞太大,都能开辆大马车过去了。这边D不说马车了,说是灵柩。这个阴森可怖...

好!马上要闹鬼啦,这一段营造气氛写的非常的精彩,再次上大段。视觉听觉,越来越可怕了。
The fireplace was an old one, built by some Dutch merchant long ago, and paved all round with quaint Dutch tiles, designed to illustrate the Scriptures. There were Cains and Abels, Pharaoh’s daughters, Queens of Sheba, Angelic messengers descending through the air on clouds like feather-beds, Abrahams, Belshazzars, Apostles putting off to sea in butter-boats, hundreds of figures to attract his thoughts; and yet that face of Marley, seven years dead, came like the ancient Prophet’s rod, and swallowed up the whole. If each smooth tile had been a blank at first, with power to shape some picture on its surface from the disjointed fragments of his thoughts, there would have been a copy of old Marley’s head on every one.
After several turns, he sat down again. As he threw his head back in the chair, his glance happened to rest upon a bell, a disused bell, that hung in the room, and communicated for some purpose now forgotten with a chamber in the highest story of the building. It was with great astonishment, and with a strange, inexplicable dread, that as he looked, he saw this bell begin to swing. It swung so softly in the outset that it scarcely made a sound; but soon it rang out loudly, and so did every bell in the house.
This might have lasted half a minute, or a minute, but it seemed an hour. The bells ceased as they had begun, together. They were succeeded by a clanking noise, deep down below; as if some person were dragging a heavy chain over the casks in the wine-merchant’s cellar. Scrooge then remembered to have heard that ghosts in haunted houses were described as dragging chains.
The cellar-door flew open with a booming sound, and then he heard the noise much louder, on the floors below; then coming up the stairs; then coming straight towards his door.

最终在摇曳的火焰中,M的鬼魂现身拉!

The same face: the very same. Marley in his pigtail, usual waistcoat, tights and boots; the tassels on the latter bristling, like his pigtail, and his coat-skirts, and the hair upon his head. The chain he drew was clasped about his middle. It was long, and wound about him like a tail; and it was made (for Scrooge observed it closely) of cash- boxes, keys, padlocks, ledgers, deeds, and heavy purses wrought in steel. His body was transparent; so that Scrooge, observing him, and looking through his waistcoat, could see the two buttons on his coat behind.
Scrooge had often heard it said that Marley had no bowels, but he had never believed it until now.
注意M身上的铁链的材料描述,那一长串。以及最后一句说M没有心肠的描述很幽默。

“Who are you?”
“Ask me who I was.”
“Who were you then?” said Scrooge, raising his voice. “You’re particular, for a shade.” He was going to say “to a shade,” but substituted this, as more appropriate.
这里的pun很值得寻味。to a shade这里的shade意思是nuance,那个鬼魂非要说who I was,S一开始觉得他太挑了。后来意识到自己在和鬼(shade第二层含义)说话,马上改口了,他说:你和一般的鬼比有些特别嘛。看样子S也是懵了。

接下来一大段我个人不是很喜欢,总之就是M的鬼魂教育S说你要多做好事,不然下场就是我这样永世不得超生。D确实也是厉害,就说鬼魂吧,他在这段来来回回换了好多的说法,大概列举一下:
Ghost, spirit, phantom, shade, vision, specter, apparition, supernatural visitor

永世不得超生多可怕啊,S赶紧问自己怎么才能幸免于难啊。M说你接下来几天会被三个鬼魂造访(也是蛮惨的...)到时候你就知道怎么办了。然后M就飘走啦。至此S已经被吓傻。
And being, from the emotion he had undergone, or the fatigues of the day, or his glimpse of the Invisible World, or the dull conversation of the Ghost, or the lateness of the hour, much in need of repose; went straight to bed, without undressing, and fell asleep upon the instant.

下一个stave讲三个鬼魂中的第一个鬼魂,敬请期待!

回应

使用道具 举报

RE: 【GRE阅读辅助】A Christmas Carol小赏【二】 [修改]
您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 立即注册

问答
Offer
投票
面经
最新
精华
转发