寄托币
注册时间
2016-6-18
精华
帖子

2016 US-applicant

发表于 2016-6-22 07:01:16 |显示全部楼层
issue 2

2) To understand the most important characteristics of a society, one must study its major cities.
Write a response in which you discuss the extent to which you agree or disagree with the statement and explain your reasoning for the position you take. In developing and supporting your position, you should consider ways in which the statement might or might not hold true and explain how these considerations shape your position.

Issue 2

I strongly support the idea of studying the major cities of a society for the purpose of understanding its most critical characteristics. The major cities are the ensembles of a society in the field of economics and culture. These big cities provide the stages for most large scale enterprises and businesses to grow and prosper. Meanwhile, the big cities incubate the mainstream culture. One cannot ignore the importance of the major cities. In addition, I shall point out that the importance of small-scale cities cannot be ignored.

The main reason underlines my position is that major cities are mirrors of the economics of a society. Big cities bear the majority of the resource for a company to grow, including market, logistics, talents and so on. Large corporations, which are the critical component of a society, usually locate in big cities. For example, the most successful IT company, IBM, choose its headquarter in New York city for its abundance of IT professional, its convenience of logistics and its big opening of the market. One must look into the history of IBM and its relationship with NYC in order to understand the internet economy of the United States.

Moreover, because of the large scale of the major cities, one can get a great grasp of all the important cultural characteristics of a society through studying the culture of its big cities. There’s larger population in big cities than in small cities, which creates and popularizes the mainstream culture of a society. For instance,  hiphop culture was born in Brooklyn, NYC. One need to experience in these old neibourhood to get a taste of hiphop in order to have a peek into American urban culture.

However, in the terms of getting to understand a society, small cities are as equally critical as major cities as they provide indispensable diversities in many aspects. Diversified economics and cultures often can be found in small cities. These varieties are critical features in a society. One must know about the western culture of America from small cities in California. Therefore, I think one cannot ignore small society as well.

To sum up, I strongly support the idea of studying its major cities in order to understand the important characteristics of a society. However, the value of small cities cannot be ignored.
回应

使用道具 举报

声望
寄托币
注册时间
2015-8-21
精华
帖子

19周年勋章 满2年在任版主 香港offer勋章 寄托16周年纪念勋章 寄托兑换店纪念章 2015 US-applicant 寄托22周年

发表于 2016-6-22 12:09:55 |显示全部楼层
https://bbs.gter.net/thread-1966347-1-1.html

同学, 你练习了几篇习作了呢? 请你看看这个帖子~