帖子

Sagittarius射手座 荣誉版主

跳转到指定楼层
楼主
发表于 2004-10-5 07:42:10 |只看该作者 |倒序浏览
发信人: hwoarang (pepee), 信区: AdvancedEdu
标  题: 聊天日志 :经济学申请 (stanford)
发信站: BBS 水木清华站 (Sat Oct  2 13:41:41 2004), 站内

嘉宾:: Jermery Liu, 3rd year Ph.D. student in Economic Analysis and Policy, School of Business, Stanford University, U.S.
B.S. in Economics, 北京大学

主持:Romanti, inStudent, U.S.
北京时间:10月2日上午11点(周六)
地点: inStudent 聊天室
活动时间:一个小时

[Romanti] 7:28 pm: I'm the host.  Jermery Liu, 3rd year Stanford Ph.D. student in Economic Analysis and Policy, will share with us his application experience. Liu graduated from Peking Univ., with a B.S. in Economics.
[liangmengmm] 7:29 pm: Hi! Cool   
[liangmengmm] 7:29 pm: Oh nice to meet you. I'm an undergraduate student from Tsinghua.  Thank you for hosting such a helpful event   
[Romanti] 7:39 pm: welcome, Liangmeng mm, welcome to inStudent success-in-application chat series!
[Romanti] 7:40 pm: I'm the host. I'm Romanti from inStudent. You can use Chinese in this chat room. The guest will arrive in approximately 30minutes
[grace] 7:41 pm: Hi, Romanti, 节日快乐   
[Romanti] 7:41 pm: Happy National Day!
[liangmengmm] 7:41 pm: Thank You for the welcome. It's a great pleasure to visit here first.
[Romanti] 7:43 pm: Are you major in Econ, Liangmeng?
[liangmengmm] 7:43 pm: My major is in Finance but in Tsinghua our school is called
economics and management so we take a lot courses in economics
[liangmengmm] 7:43 pm: and we'll get our bachelor degree in economics
[Romanti] 7:44 pm: cool
[liangmengmm] 7:44 pm: How about you? As I'm new here, sorry about my innocence   
[Romanti] 7:45 pm: well.....I'm in applied physics........
[liangmengmm] 7:45 pm: Wow that's cooler   
[Romanti] 7:46 pm:     
[liangmengmm] 7:46 pm: So are you also applying or you've already been abroad?
[Romanti] 7:47 pm: I'm in California actually
[Romanti] 7:48 pm: Welcome, Vanilla
[Romanti] 7:48 pm: This is the chat room for economics application
[Romanti] 7:49 pm: We will start at 11am Beijing time
[engine88] 7:50 pm: 10 more minutes     
[liangmengmm] 7:51 pm: I see. That's so kind of you to arrange everything to help us here   
[Romanti] 7:53 pm: These are all based on Instudent's platform
[liangmengmm] 7:54 pm: Hmm very nice platform.
[jefferson] 7:54 pm: good morning everyone!
[jefferson] 7:55 pm: nice to see you here Romanti   
[jefferson] 7:55 pm: and nice to see you here too Daisy!
[Romanti] 7:56 pm: nice to see u , Jefferson
[Romanti] 7:56 pm: The guest is on his way   
[jefferson] 7:58 pm: where are you Romanti? SF?
[Romanti] 7:58 pm: He is looking for a computer right now.
[Romanti] 7:59 pm: palo alto, very near SF
[Event Room]: Jermery has entered at 8:01 pm
[Romanti] 8:01 pm: okay, our guest is here!
[engine88] 8:02 pm: hello jermery!  glad to see you!
[Jermery] 8:02 pm: hi, romanti

[Romanti] 8:03 pm: Let's start NOW!
[Romanti] 8:03 pm: Feel free to ask questions, everyone. Jermery, take your time
[Jermery] 8:04 pm: I am the sole target, romanti?
[engine88] 8:04 pm: can we start asking qns now, romanti?  or...?
[Romanti] 8:05 pm: yes

[Cyber] 8:05 pm: Today's chatting is about economy or business?
[Romanti] 8:05 pm: economics graduate school application
[engine88] 8:05 pm: the economics comes under Stanford b-school?
[Jermery] 8:06 pm: to engine88, there are actually two econ programs in Stanford. department of econ and economic analysis and policy program at b-school
[engine88] 8:07 pm: Jermery: thanks!
[Cyber] 8:06 pm: but in many schools, economics is not under b-school
[Jermery] 8:08 pm: to cyber: there are several top econ programs which are in b-school. they generally do decision theory, game theory, and business economics
[Cyber] 8:09 pm: thanks

[ati_zhong] 8:05 pm: I want know the benefit of mathematical major to application of economy, thank you Jermery
[Jermery] 8:07 pm: to ati_zhong: mathematics will help a lot if you want to do theory. and indeed, most successful applicants have good math background.
[ati_zhong] 8:08 pm: thank you Jermery

[liangmengmm] 8:06 pm: Good evening Jermery. Thank you very much for coming! My first question would be what do you think is the most important quality that a Stanford professor looks for in the PhD program applicants? What was your most outstanding achievement in your undergrad year that made your way into Stanford?
[Jermery] 8:10 pm: to liangmengmm:  professors will look for smart students, smart in their mind. e.g. good math background, good academic performance , and you need to show your insight in your essay.
[liangmengmm] 8:11 pm: Hmm I see. But how do people usually prove their math background and academic performance? GPA or anything else?
[liangmengmm] 8:12 pm: I'm quite impressed that you got into Stanford as an undergraduate student. Did you have a lot research experience or paper publications?
[Jermery] 8:18 pm: to liangmengmm: I don't have a paper published. but I do have several working papers before. most of my fellow students are undergraduates. not a surprise.

[littletle] 8:08 pm: Hi! Jermery! I'm a student studying finance, but I hear of the finance
application is very hard!   Maybe I should apply for economics .Please give me some
advice to help. Thank you very much!   
[Jermery] 8:12 pm: to littletle: one bad thing for b-school application, including finance, is that they only accept only few people. that's way it looks hard.
[littletle] 8:12 pm: Thank you!  Jermery!
[littletle] 8:28 pm: 你知道有一些什么方向是经济学中有关金融的吗,我其实很不想放弃金融.
[Jermery] 8:31 pm: to littletle: I think finance guys just study some special topics in econ.
[Romanti] 8:32 pm: for example?
[littletle] 8:34 pm: Thank you Romanti, I also want to know.

[engine88] 8:11 pm: Jermery: thanks for answering my qn earlier.  what's the key factor that Stanford value most in evaluating applicants?
[Jermery] 8:14 pm: to engine88: according to my understanding, good performance in your classes, good recommendations, good math background are important.
[engine88] 8:14 pm: Jermery: thank you.

[ati_zhong] 8:11 pm: Which is more important for economics study, mathematical base or the insight personal, mean the professor want accept what kind of PhD. Thank you Jermery.
[Jermery] 8:16 pm: to ati_zhong: some people doubt that people can have good insight if they cannot at least study math well
[ati_zhong] 8:18 pm: thank you

[Romanti] 8:12 pm: Just a reminder to everyone: if you want to ask questions in Chinese, feel free to do so!
[crayia] 8:13 pm: Jermery, I am an engineering student, is it possible for an engineering student to transfer to economic or related fields?
[Jermery] 8:20 pm: to crayia, I know several EE major guys in econ dept. it should be a
problem, but you at least have to take some major econ courses.

[Jermery] 8:15 pm: to liangmentmm: you need to take some good courses, for example, in Stanford, undergraduate usually take more advanced grad courses, it is not surprising to see undergraduates in econ and math classes.
[liangmengmm] 8:16 pm: I see. Thank you Jermery!

[hahaha] 8:17 pm: If a person is not very smart in terms of math but he has strong passion or interests in academic research in economics, how about the possibility of being accepted by professors and programs?
[Jermery] 8:21 pm: to hahaha: ok, good math background can help you a lot if you do theory, but you can do other topics in econ which don't need heavy math
[hahaha] 8:24 pm: Thanks Jeremy. You are right, math is very important and helpful in
theoretical research. It is good to improve math skills

[lovestanford] 8:18 pm: Jermery, nice to meet you here~! May I have a question, which kind of recommendations makes sense? Did u have any recommendation from foreign professors?
[Jermery] 8:23 pm: to lovestanford: I don't. the professors should know you well. if the
professors  at Stanford know your recommenders' name in some journal, it may be helpful.

[hahaha] 8:19 pm: Sorry, I am kind of impolite and I should say hello to Jeremy first
[hahaha] 8:20 pm: Also say hello to everyone here
[Jermery] 8:24 pm: to hahaha: I should have said hello to you guys, sorry     .

[liangmengmm] 8:20 pm: Thank you very much Jermery.
[engine88] 8:20 pm: Jermery: What was your most significant advantage that got your way into Stanford?
[Romanti] 8:21 pm: I'm interested in knowing this too     good one, engine88
[liangmengmm] 8:21 pm: hehe, seems like everyone is interested in this question   
[Jermery] 8:25 pm: to engine88: I think my reference is good, and my math is not bad, my essay is good, I have similar research interests with several faculty members here.

[crayia] 8:22 pm: thank you, Jermery. I also major in EE, what are the merits of the students you talked about which help them accepted by Stanford. And what are the problems you talked about?
[Jermery] 8:26 pm: to crayia, they study some major econ courses before. For example,
metrics, micro, what do mean by 'problems"?

[ati_zhong] 8:23 pm: Jermery, could you generalize what the economics study in graduate, and the PhD after 5 years, what kind of work you could choose. that is not clear to me, thank you.
[Jermery] 8:29 pm: to ati_zhong:  the best student in econ PhD program become professors.
[ati_zhong] 8:29 pm:      thank you Jermery

[Romanti] 8:26 pm: Jermery, who wrote the recommendation letters for you, may I ask?

[Jermery] 8:28 pm: to ati_zhong: it is good for a student to focus on a small area, specific topics. young professors even don't do research on several topics.
[lovestanford] 8:29 pm: thank u Jermery , it is said Stanford's finance are typically technical stuff, such as of  Duffie's. What kind of applicants do they need? math or physics background, research experience? It is said b-school in Stanford seldom recruit students directly from Mainland China, is it true?
[Jermery] 8:32 pm: to lovestanford: yes. they love math majors.
[lovestanford] 8:35 pm: thank you Jermery.
[lovestanford] 8:35 pm: :P

[crayia] 8:29 pm: Sorry, I may have some misunderstanding. You said "it should be a
problem", what does that mean? Only some relevant courses are OK? I think it may not be that easy.
[Jermery] 8:34 pm: crayia: I have a classmate who major EE before, he study several econ
courses, get good performance-one example.
[crayia] 8:36 pm: thank you, Jermery   

[hahaha] 8:32 pm: I don't hate math and do have motivation to study more. But for now my knowledge of math is given (not advanced), would it be useful to say something about this in the PS since my supporting materials only demonstrate some basic math knowledge like calculus, linear algebra, statistics and possibilities, dynamic Optimization, econometrics.
[Jermery] 8:36 pm: to hahaha: show you CAN study math to them.
[hahaha] 8:38 pm: Thanks! Would you mind specifying a little bit about how?
[lovestanford] 8:39 pm: show you CAN study math to them.???  may I ask HOW to show?
with credits? pang ting /listen or attend to the class makes any sense?
[Jermery] 8:41 pm: to hahaha: maybe your reference? your contest performance before?

[engine88] 8:36 pm: Jermery: how did you decide on which schools to apply to?
[engine88] 8:45 pm: Jermery, did you find the first year in Stanford tough?

[lovestanford] 8:37 pm: Jeremy, can u tell us the number of every major/specialty  Stanford b-school recruit every year? Such as they gave 10 offers to econ ,8 offer to finance, 6 offers to strategy....?
[Jermery] 8:39 pm: to lovestanford: on average, 3-5 each year. but it depends, if one program get lots of money, they may bring 8 people here.
[lovestanford] 8:46 pm: so few people!! It seems that the chance for students from Mainland is slim. Stanford is my favorite school. I wonder whether it is necessary for me to pursue another master degree for research in States/Europe first and then try to get enrolled to Stanford B-school. Can u give me some advice?  I am already master of economics is mainland

[engine88] 8:41 pm: Jermery: would you be able to comment how you decided on which
schools to apply to?
[Jermery] 8:42 pm: to engine88: I talked with my fellow students, some said they apply as more as possible, some follow the direction of their professors.

[candy] 8:49 pm: how do you feel about studying in Stanford?
[Jermery] 8:49 pm: tough but sometimes enjoyable.

[crayia] 8:52 pm: I've got to go now, thank you Jermery for answering my questions. It is really nice meeting you
[Romanti] 8:53 pm: Reminder: only 7 minutes left
[littletle] 8:53 pm: I think it  must be a great feeling! Thanks again, Jermery.
[Romanti] 8:55 pm: Jermery, how many schools did u apply?
[ati_zhong] 8:55 pm: my last question, if I am not the best student and do not want to be a professor after PhD, would applying to PhD economics major be a good idea? Thank you.

[lovestanford] 8:57 pm: Jermery, what do u think is the key point for application? GPA / PS/or recommendation ? Or research experience?
[Jermery] 9:00 pm: to lovestanford, I still think reference letter is the most important.
[lovestanford] 9:00 pm: Can u tell us the process of recruitment? secretary makes the first round? then who make the 2nd round? and  the head of the committee makes the final
rounds? any details to share with us? thanks ~~~
[Jermery] 9:05 pm: to lovestanford: the procedure in my program is as follows: each
committee member will look at some profiles, and suggest to others his choices. They will sit together and decides the ranking of those survivors, and give offers to the first, the
second...and so on.
[lovestanford] 9:00 pm: thanks very much~~!!

[engine88] 8:58 pm: Romanti, I've found this chat to be extremely helpful.  Thank you for inviting such a good guest!

[ati_zhong] 8:58 pm: my last question, if I am not the best student and don not want to be
professor after PhD. The application of PhD economics major is still a good idea? thank you.
[Jermery] 9:02 pm: to ati_zhong,  obviously, more and more econ PhDs play roles in industry and organizations, but I cannot tell you if it is helpful to earn a PhD.
[ati_zhong] 9:03 pm: good answer, thank you Jermery, wishing you a good time in meilijian

[icid] 9:00 pm: Thanks. What fields in econ do not need math much?

[Romanti] 9:02 pm: Lovestanford, we're ending our chat.....maybe you can email us your
question?
[hahaha] Thank you very much, Jermery! How can I ask more questions?
[Romanti] You can email to inStudent.  The www.inStudent.com.cn website also has a forum where you can post your questions.
[hahaha] Thanks! Bye, everyone!
[Romanti] 88, hahaha
[engine88] oh, inStudent has a forum?  I can post more qns there?
[Romanti] yes, definitely

[Romanti] 9:05 pm: Well, we will end our chat here. Thanks a lot for your time, Jermery.
Today, we have a good group. If you have more questions about your  application, please feel free to write to us.
[engine88] 9:05 pm: thank you romanti, thank you Jermery.  wishing both of u a nice weekend in Stanford or outside Stanford
[Romanti] 9:06 pm: Everyone: thank you very much for taking the time to attend this session. We hope you have found this session useful. Best wishes for your applications, and do feel free to keep in touch with us. Bye Jermery, thank you for your time.
[admin] 9:07 pm: Thank you very much Jermery and Romanti!
[Romanti] 9:10 pm: Thanks Jermery! Thanks everyone for coming and bringing these questions here. Feel free to stay longer to chat. 88 everyone

alrite, thanks very much~! Best wishes for you in the States ! I will pursue that great career in academy too~! -- thanks  -- U are so great. Thanks. – thanks!!!  Let's give them a round of applause…-- 88 -- 88 - 88 romanti - bye guys  - Bye! Everyone   
[lovestanford] 9:08 pm: they clap in different paces     
[admin] 9:09 pm: ok.. we should all TRY to coordinate our applause a bit      
[lovestanford] 9:09 pm: haha

[Jermery] 9:06 pm: good luck for everyone. 88

[lovestanford] 9:07 pm: good luck to u too! Jermery and romanti!
[Romanti] 9:08 pm: Our next chat session is next Sat 11am

[admin] 9:12 pm: guys, remember to sign up as inStudent members to receive emails of
events and other information
[admin] 9:12 pm: sign up here:
回应

使用道具 举报

RE: 聊天日志 :经济学申请 (stanford) [修改]
您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 立即注册

问答
Offer
投票
面经
最新
精华
转发
转发该帖子
聊天日志 :经济学申请 (stanford)
https://bbs.gter.net/thread-224367-1-1.html
复制链接
发送
关闭

站长推荐

寄托24周年庆,发祝福送寄托币!
寄托24岁生日,邀请寄托的小伙伴在本命年周年庆发出你对寄托的祝福, 可以是简单的一句“生日快乐”, 送出祝福小伙伴将会有寄托币奖励!

查看 »

报offer 祈福 爆照
回顶部