注册时间
2007-2-22
精华
帖子
跳转到指定楼层
楼主
发表于 2007-8-19 20:24:23 |只看该作者 |倒序浏览
今天第一次发现今天能在规定时间内写完了:loveliness: ,结果一口气写了N篇,请大家狠拍

1)Agree or disagree: people today are too much emphasized on appearance and fashions

Nowadays, it becomes a heatedly debated topic amongst numerous people in our society that whether people today are too much emphasized on appearance and fashions. Some people think that the attention on appearance and fashions is too much and meanwhile impose a negative influence while others have an opposite attitude. Then from my point of view, I agree with the statement that today people put too much emphasis on appearance and fashions and it causes lots of problems in our society. My reasons go as follows.
Firstly, for companies and organizations, too much emphasis on appearance and fashions will lead to improper or wrong employments. During a job interview, decisions have to be made in a short period of time as half an hour or a quarter. If the interviewer prefers the appearance, the applicant who doesn't dress in accordance with the employer's standard will probably lose the chance to get hired though he might possess the best skills and experience. On the other hand, another applicant will take this place due to his ability in dressing and presenting himself professionally. Actually, such employment will do harm to both the company and the selected employee. Company fails to hire the most qualified person to improve the efficiency in management or production while the hired employee will discover that he does not really fit for the occupation or is not able to show his talents and advantages.
Secondly, for ordinary people, too much emphasis on appearance and fashion will cause misjudgments towards different people. A stylish girl may be inner conservative; a sturdy man will turn out to be a coward; and a person with gentlest manners is likely to conceal his bad temper. With too much emphasis on appearance and fashion, people may never know clearly about the characters and personalities of acquaintances and friends. Meanwhile, they will lose many opportunities to make friends with strangers who dress in the way they do not appreciate.

Last but not least, for youngsters, too much emphasis on appearance, especially on fashions, will make them become superficial and limiting. Today there is a phenomenon in China that young people tend to admire and respect those who are "cool" in style and only keep in touch with them. I think it's ridiculous because it infuses a totally wrong concept into youngsters' mind. Young people should communicate with different kinds of people, especially those elders and experts who are usually not fashion or cool, to gain experience, advice and valuable ideas about their future life. On the other hand, such cool styles means only a superficial figure to youngsters and can do nothing with their future.
Hence, all that I've mentioned above boils down to the conclusion that people today put too much emphasis on appearance and fashion and it causes lots of problems in our society. If you are still obsessed in these things, I think it's high time for you to change your ideas.

2) Agree or disagree: media pay too much attention to the personal lives of famous people
It has long been a controversy amongst experts and ordinary people that whether media pay too much attention to the personal lives of famous people. Some people believe there is too much attention on celebrities and it not only disturbs those people's life but also distort the concept of value in the whole society. While in stark contrast, others hold a totally opposite attitude towards this topic. Then from my point of view, I think the attention on famous people is necessary and will never become "too much". My reasons go as follows.
Firstly, the attention on celebrities can cater the curiosity of the public. Inevitably, people want to imitate celebrities in various aspects. For example, men want to know the secret of Arnold Schwarzenegger's muscles; women, the recipe of Madonna's charm. In most cases, these imitations satisfy their wishes to become more graceful, stronger, knowledgeable, to name just a few. Even love affairs of the public people seem exciting for ordinary people because these affairs turn out to be prevalent topic for them to chat during breaks, which can effectively relieve people's pressure of hard work.
Secondly, the national economy can benefit from the attention on famous people. Due to the astonishing attention on famous people, the inventor of television programs can raise their watching rate to receive more advertisement income. In addition, the publishers of news papers and magazines can enhance their circulations by such autobiographies written by public figures, which always occupy the 10-best-sellers' list. And the more the media earn, the better their programs or books quality could be, which ultimately form a positive circle to both stimulate the national economy in entertainment industry and enrich people's relaxation activities.
Lastly, media's attention can play the role of supervising the celebrities. Celebrities usually possess great power or influence over the public. If nobody can prevent them, especially those politicians from doing something immoral or improper, the results will turn to be disastrous. It is the media that restrict the celebrities' activities by exposing their life to the whole society. For instance, the scandal involving Bill Clinton is a typical victory of the media over the lying president.
Hence, all that I've mentioned above boils down to my conclusion that the attention on celebrities is the responsibility of media to bring benefits to the whole society in different aspects. So I have to claim that more attention on famous people will become a tendency in the future and should never be considered as too much.

3) Which approach to life do you prefer, life with change or not? Compare these two approaches to life and choose one of them.

Recently, the controversy about whether people should always enjoy changes and new experience or stay the same during their lives has been brought into focus. Some people prefer a regular life while others hold the opposite attitude. Then from my point of view, I prefer a life full of changes and new experience.
Before rendering my opinion in detail, it is necessary to take a glance at the position of staying the same during life. It means a relatively inactive life by repeating similar matters. Many people, especially the old, advocate that staying the same can prevent them from taking risks or even making costly mistakes due to the lack of knowledge in new things. Also, they believe staying the same can keep them in a stable lifestyle, which will do good to their health in some aspects.
It is true that what I mentioned above are all advantages of staying the same during life, but I would explain a few critical reasons why I am in favor of changes and new experience. The primary one is that change is a kind of instinct in human bodies. From Stone Age to modern society called "Information Era", humans have never stopped our steps in changing the world as well as ourselves. Thanks to change, stone axes turns into computers; fur and leaves turns into fashion clothes; bows and arrows become powerful guns. It is the change that plays the role as the propeller to push the human society to develop. So as a member of human beings, I have to adapt myself to changes and new experience to improve my abilities and catch up with the modern world.
Another equally significant benefit brought by change is that it can help me discover my potential aptitude of myself. Frankly speaking, most people, including me, have a limited knowledge of where our talents lie or what field we are really interested in. Then by trying a new thing for the first time ever, we may have a chance to find a kind of enthusiasm in this item. On the other hand, if we refuse to experience such changes, we may stick in an occupation which is boring or meaningless for us. Take my father as an example, he has been a doctor, a writer or even a manager, but finally he found where his passion lay and became a teacher in a high school to devote himself into cultivating the youngsters.
In brief, all that I've mentioned above boils down to the conclusion that the advantages of changes and new experience outweigh the ones of staying the same. Though both of them have strong foundations, I still believe that attempting changes and new experience will become a trend in the future.

4) Some universities require students to take classes in many subjects. Other university require students to specialize in one subject, which is better?

Nowadays, students are required to specialize in a certain subject at some universities and asked to take classes in many subjects at other universities. According to me, a specialized subject may be a good choice because I believe it will make the students to find jobs more easily, stimulate their critical thought and help them fix their attentions on one point.
Firstly, specialized knowledge will absolutely give the students a huge advantage in job applications. In modern society, jobs are divided into various kinds of specialized fields such as technology, science, art, literature, service, law and so forth, while each one gets several sub-fields, each sub-field contains countless branches and each branch differs greatly from the others. Thus, companies will be most interested in job applicants who have superior professional skills and knowledge, because they need little training and are probably to make the greatest contributions in a short period. For instance, an insurance company will give priority to finance students, especially those who major in insurance or accounting. On the other hand, a computer corporate will recruit those software or hardware engineers without hesitation. Few employers will risk hiring those who with a rounded education but a poor mastery of specialized subject.
Also, the study of specialized subject will bring the students the critical thinking ability. Specialized subjects are always abstract and abstruse, which means the students must spend lots of time to analyze the main ideas and the complicated relations of various items through logic and judgment. Consequently, they form a critical thought through repeated practice. Take myself as an example, I am a physics student and have to handle the theory of relativity. It's unimaginable for many people to understand why the time goes far slower than usual when the speed is approaching the velocity of light. But I've spent huge amounts of time and energy trying to judge and evaluate the reasons of the phenomenon. Unconsciously, I find myself analyze problem more logically and critically due to process above.
Last but not least, to specialize in a certain subject can help the students to concentrate on one point, make it easier for them to achieve some goals in their field. As we all know, the depth of a certain subject is infinite while students' time and energy is limited. Only by fixing most attentions in one aspect can the students excel in campus and later in society.
Of course, there are also some virtues for universities to require students to take class in many subjects. It will offer a well rounded education and make students versatile. Furthermore, students with a broader knowledge base may probably study better in some respects of their major. However, taking all these factors into account, I believe that the advantages of specializing in a certain subject far outweigh the ones of taking many subjects. So I have to state that specialized subjects will be a trend in all the universities.

回应

使用道具 举报

声望
寄托币
注册时间
2007-2-22
精华
帖子
沙发
发表于 2007-8-19 20:25:06 |只看该作者
自己顶一下~~~:loveliness:

使用道具 举报