寄托币
注册时间
2006-6-14
精华
帖子
跳转到指定楼层
楼主
发表于 2008-11-24 11:23:58 |只看该作者 |倒序浏览
Describe a situation where you had to work or closely associate with someone from a culture very different from your own. What challenges did you face and how did you resolve them?
* k, b, j" p2 b' Z8 p1 c) S9 j  w. z: F% P  Q; c6 x" r- p6 e! u
个人分析:此处它的问点是想知道你如何解决文化差异而非什么样的文化差异,我的切入点是谈我怎样和跟我性格不同的人交朋友。
0 s0 B* O) c2 L/ x7 ]
' P& W5 I; ^& b& F% c" b' MI think the key to resolving differences and connecting with others is to think for ourselves and find the right balance, then take responsibility to change ourselves, which is the golden mean of Confucius.; c6 A) `) y/ O4 D- T

* B2 E; X( ?) E1 p( Y% bDuring elementary school, I felt lonely, invisible,and world‐weary. My teachers did not like me because I was not a model student who studied for hours and followed instructions, and I had trouble making friends with my hard‐working classmates. Nor did I fit in with the miscreants and drop‐outs, the rebels. We were different. I resigned myself to spending my free time alone reading books and playing on the Internet.
5 d% s8 [- W: I# W3 h8 r$ H7 k) C  N% S
When I was eight, I moved with my mother and stepfather to a small suburban community and I entered a new school. My new classmates were amazing: they had started studying English one year before I did and learned much more due to the small class size. Though they were friendly, I was reluctant to make friends because I felt a gulf of differences divided us. Still, I confined myself to my own world, even though my loneliness always saddened me.% I& l) v  s8 h) J& ~( \

8 ~0 h& c( ~5 K; b: fIn the Chinese class, my teacher Mrs.Liang required us to write a daily essay on a topic of our choice. With nothing assigned, I started to write my own thoughts, expressing my sorrow and loneliness to another person for the first time. She read every essay carefully and responded with thoughtful comments. She asked me not to think of myself as a victim of the world. “The golden mean of Confucius taught us that virtue lies in finding a proper balance,” She wrote. ” Even if we dislike something, we should appreciate its positive aspects. For instance, our tradition emphasizes following instructions, but we also need to think on our own. You may not want to be a stereotypical student, but diligence is essential to achieving your goals.” She added, “I think your loneliness resulted from your prejudice against others, not the environment” Finally, I realized that I shaped myself to be a lonely person, one who felt profoundly culturally different despite being culturally the same.
8 u2 c* H8 S- A! U& k) a* o5 V8 B, D9 D) D
Luckily, writing my thoughts served as a turning point for me. I gradually began to understand the philosophy of Confucius, from which I found I needed to change myself,since I could not change the environment. I started to reach out to others, and become the person I wanted to be. I joined my school basketball team and shared my of knowledge computer to make friends. I also forged a number of strong friendships with the “stereotypical”students, from whom I learned appropriate study habits. My previous attitude had prevented me from changing and resulted in my loneliness.Now I accepted myself and understood how to find balance in my attitudes and connect with different people.
* L& u1 \# j" V$ A% Q: I' a- E
: |/ @0 h# w- kTwo years later, my mother divorced again. We moved back and left my beloved teachers and friends. However, I didn’t feel overwhelmed by the challenges of meeting new people and adapting to the junior high school. Instead of isolating myself again, I enjoyed the diversity among people and I expected others to appreciate my uniqueness, just as I did. This was my most profound cultural experience: learning to relate myself to the world as well.' i4 l! h: [2 W+ C
9 e. _; A4 F/ Z" n

/ S( e3 }! c: d0 H' N总结:Macalester的这篇文章是当时让我最头疼的一个,因为文化差异太多国际学术可能会写如何跟外国人交流之类的东西,所以我在思考如何能找到一个突破点。文章不足的地方是有的,分享这篇文章只是希望给大家提供一种寻找ESSAY主题突破的思路。另外我在这里也发过一些其他的ESSAY的资料http://www.wiki4u.org/?category-view-18,希望对大家申请有帮助!0 ?" x( V; l- a

9 e) e9 z+ E% K9 D[ 本帖最后由 渐逝的黑色 于 2008-11-24 11:27 编辑 ]
已有 1 人评分寄托币 收起 理由
一步一杀 + 2 谢谢分享

总评分: 寄托币 + 2   查看全部投币

www.wiki4u.org - 做事就讲究个地道
回应

使用道具 举报

声望
寄托币
注册时间
2007-1-2
精华
帖子

QQ联合登录 Leo狮子座 US Advisor 荣誉版主 寄托兑换店纪念章 2015 US-applicant

沙发
发表于 2008-11-24 11:36:45 |只看该作者
wow~好久不见勒~;d:
7 H; t. T. P3 S收藏收藏~~
WeChat: EricQaaaa

使用道具 举报

声望
寄托币
注册时间
2006-6-14
精华
帖子
板凳
发表于 2008-11-24 12:04:45 |只看该作者
呵呵,学校忙的一塌糊涂。
www.wiki4u.org - 做事就讲究个地道

使用道具 举报

RE: 分享一篇我当年申MAC的ESSAY [修改]
您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 立即注册

问答
Offer
投票
面经
最新
精华
转发
转发该帖子
分享一篇我当年申MAC的ESSAY
https://bbs.gter.net/thread-895754-1-1.html
复制链接
发送
关闭

站长推荐

寄托24周年庆,发祝福送寄托币!
寄托24岁生日,邀请寄托的小伙伴在本命年周年庆发出你对寄托的祝福, 可以是简单的一句“生日快乐”, 送出祝福小伙伴将会有寄托币奖励!

查看 »

报offer 祈福 爆照
回顶部