bbiwr 发表于 2012-3-21 18:40:44

Issue 5,求指导!421G,第一次写,还来得及吗?

421G,还有正好一个月。

在职考G,工作忙,时间紧,之前一直顾着Verbal。目前AW看过了完整的Issue 和 Argue题库,看的同时在脑袋里列了列思路,这是真正动手写的第一篇。

没有记时,写得很慢很慢,写后自己稍改了下,请指教!

虽然G的成绩在申请中不那么重要,但作为文科生,AW太低了还是不好。一个月的时间,练到 4.5 有希望吗?

Claim: Governments must ensure that their major cities receive the financial support they need in order to thrive.
Reason: It is primarily in cities that a nation's cultural traditions are preserved and generated.
Write a response in which you discuss the extent to which you agree or disagree with the claim and the reason on which that claim is based.

( 538 words )
I acknowledge that major cities play important roles in most countries around the world. Thriving major cities are beneficial to the whole country. Moreover, a major city, such as New York, is not only the center of financial, but also the center of culture of the country. There are more culture exhibitions, artists, plays and shows in major cities than in small town, not mention rural areas. Also, most foreigners know culture characters of a new country through their journey in major cities. For example, many tourists come to Beijing or Shanghai, looking for cultural sights in this old east country.

From the discussion above, it is safe to say that governments should ensure their major cities to thrive; and major cities are important to a country’s culture. Thus, at first glance, the author’s view seems convincing, but further reflection tells me that I can not agree with the author’s claim and the reason on which that claim is based.

Firstly, the author asserts that it is primarily in cities that a nation's cultural traditions are preserved and generated. On one hand, cultural industries are blooming in cities, as I preferred above. On the other hand, experience tells us, cultural traditions are often destroyed or modified by modern society, which happens in cities more than rural areas. In order to see this point clearly, let us see an example. In China’s big cities like Beijing, Shanghai and Guangzhou, it is not easy for you to find real cultural traditions of Chinese people, for the culture are mixed with outside culture in recent years. But in some small towns or the rural areas, you can see local operas, drawings and sports, playing by people in the nearly same way as their ancestors’ thousands years ago. Actually, a nation's cultural traditions always preserved better in small towns or rural areas than in cities.

Secondly, the author claims that governments must ensure that their major cities receive the financial support they need in order to thrive. As we discussed above, major cities are not the best places where cultural traditions be well preserved. This reality weaken the author’s claim. Furthermore, even the author’s reason is credible, I still can not agree the author’s claim because it will exaggerate the existing unbalance between major cities and small ones. Major cities, which are economically developed, posses more resources, and have strong earning power. What the government should do is to ensure these cities blooming by making institutional guarantee, rather than give money to the rich. On the other hand, as to small towns and rural areas, most of which are undeveloped or poor, the need for financial support are more eager than major cities. Thus, the role of a government should act, I think, is to balance the situation, rather than exaggerate it.

In sum, I acknowledge the important role major cities act in a country. However, the author overemphasis it and put governments in a wrong place. In my view, the small towns and rural areas, instead of cities, are better places where cultural traditions well preserved and generated; and for the whole country’s balance development, governments should give more financial support to small towns and rural areas rather than major cities.
页: [1]
查看完整版本: Issue 5,求指导!421G,第一次写,还来得及吗?