dsnadja 发表于 2012-10-13 15:43:14

issue50。求拍砖,求意见!一丁点儿都成。多谢多谢!

50"In order to improve the quality of instruction at the college and university level, all faculty should be required to spend time working outside the academic world in professions relevant to the courses they teach."

多谢多谢!

It seems reasonable to let all faculty to work outside the academic word in professions relevant to their courses, however, I do not agree that the author made it a necessary step for improving the quality of instruction at the college and university level.

To be honest, this method can improve some subjects greatly. For example, professors who have real experiences in fields such as financial industry, hospital, and some electronic companies may have advanced knowledge and helpful experiences which they can teach their students more accurately and vividly. What's more, they can cooperate with many companies and industries in order to get more financial aids and technological supports, which can help them both to have great improvement.

However, this suggestion is not that pragmatic when it comes to the real actions. First, there are too many teachers and professors in the college and university, which means it is almost impossible for college or university to let everyone of them to work outside. In my university, not all the faculty has the chance to cooperate with outside academic world. Some teachers have many classes to teach and researches to do. Second, even many outside academic institutions want to have faculty to work for them, it is impossible to let all faculty to work outside, because there are so many students waiting to be taught, and for a college or university, teaching is an really important responsibility.
Besides, there are some subjects that can not work for outside academic world. Some subjects are more theoretical than pragmatic, such as the study of cosmos and some pure physical theory studies. They can not find appropriate partners to work with or employers to work for, since they can just be studied in the labs and be assumed by scholars.

Another reason is that, apart from working outside the academic world, there are also some fabulous methods to improve the quality of instruction at the college and university level. In my university, we always have many course works to do, and by doing these, we all find that we have understood the knowledge well and remembered well. What's more, we also have exchange meetings between several colleges and many companies. We can learn a lot from each other and improve the teaching skills.

By what have been discussed above, I think a college and university can improve the quality of instruction by letting the faculty work outside, however that may not be a necessary way to improve. There are too many alternative ways to improve the teaching quality. What’s more, some subjects are not fit for working with outside world.

32855 发表于 2012-10-20 17:29:37

好贴,绝对要支持下!!~~
页: [1]
查看完整版本: issue50。求拍砖,求意见!一丁点儿都成。多谢多谢!