ºûµû½á ·¢±íÓÚ 2006-5-4 15:12:17

PS·¶Àý¡ª¡ªStructural Engineering

PS·¶Àý¡ª¡ªStructural Engineering
http://cn.oversea.yahoo.com/030102/255/1egid.html

A simple¡¡bridge¡¡truss¡¡was¡¡the¡¡first¡¡structure¡¡I¡¡ever¡¡analyzed.¡¡The¡¡simple combination¡¡of¡¡beams¡¡that¡¡could¡¡hold¡¡cars,¡¡trains,¡¡and¡¡trucks¡¡over¡¡a¡¡long¡¡span¡¡of¡¡water¡¡fascinated¡¡me.¡¡Having¡¡the¡¡tools¡¡to¡¡analyze¡¡the¡¡loads¡¡on¡¡the¡¡truss¡¡further¡¡increased¡¡my¡¡interest¡¡in¡¡structures.¡¡I¡¡encountered¡¡the¡¡bridge¡¡in¡¡a¡¡textbook¡¡for¡¡my¡¡first¡¡engineering¡¡class.¡¡Knowing¡¡that¡¡the professor,¡¡Mr.¡¡John¡¡Doe,¡¡was¡¡a¡¡tough¡¡teacher,¡¡I¡¡asked¡¡him¡¡for¡¡the¡¡textbook¡¡so¡¡I¡¡could¡¡study¡¡and¡¡get¡¡ready¡¡for¡¡the¡¡class¡¡over¡¡the¡¡summer.¡¡Just¡¡arrived¡¡from¡¡Belize,¡¡I¡¡was¡¡determined¡¡to¡¡succeed.¡¡In¡¡class¡¡we¡¡learned¡¡about¡¡forces¡¡on¡¡simple¡¡members¡¡and¡¡then¡¡we¡¡put¡¡the¡¡members together¡¡to¡¡form¡¡a¡¡simple¡¡truss.¡¡At¡¡this¡¡point¡¡I¡¡had¡¡almost¡¡decided¡¡that¡¡structural¡¡engineering¡¡was¡¡the¡¡career¡¡for¡¡me.¡¡From¡¡there¡¡the¡¡class¡¡just¡¡took¡¡off:¡¡We¡¡went¡¡on¡¡to¡¡frames,¡¡distributed¡¡loads,¡¡considered¡¡friction;¡¡basically¡¡we¡¡were¡¡incorporating¡¡real¡¡world¡¡considerations¡¡into¡¡structural¡¡members.¡¡I¡¡loved¡¡the¡¡practical¡¡problem¡¡solving¡¡aspects¡¡of¡¡the¡¡field.¡¡ At¡¡UC¡¡my¡¡classes¡¡were¡¡even¡¡more¡¡advanced.¡¡In¡¡my¡¡analysis¡¡and¡¡design¡¡classes,¡¡I¡¡especially¡¡enjoyed¡¡studying¡¡steel¡¡design¡¡because¡¡we¡¡not¡¡only¡¡learned¡¡the¡¡use¡¡of¡¡the¡¡load¡¡resistance¡¡factor¡¡design¡¡but¡¡also¡¡applied¡¡that¡¡knowledge.¡¡I¡¡designed¡¡a¡¡four-story¡¡building.¡¡The¡¡professor¡¡was¡¡a¡¡practicing¡¡engineer,¡¡and¡¡he¡¡always¡¡related¡¡the¡¡subject¡¡to¡¡real¡¡life¡¡steel¡¡structures¡¡he¡¡had engineered,¡¡for¡¡example,¡¡the¡¡SB¡¡Medical¡¡Center,¡¡an¡¡all¡¡steel¡¡building¡¡with¡¡a¡¡base¡¡isolated¡¡campus.¡¡This¡¡is¡¡the¡¡kind¡¡of¡¡project¡¡on¡¡which¡¡I¡¡would¡¡like¡¡to¡¡work,¡¡designing¡¡the¡¡structure¡¡and¡¡considering¡¡how¡¡the¡¡building¡¡will¡¡respond¡¡to¡¡ground¡¡motion.¡¡After¡¡two¡¡quarters¡¡of¡¡structural¡¡analysis,¡¡I¡¡had¡¡come¡¡as¡¡close¡¡as¡¡possible¡¡to¡¡analyzing¡¡real¡¡world¡¡structures.¡¡Looking¡¡back¡¡I¡¡realize,¡¡I¡¡had¡¡learned¡¡great¡¡tools¡¡for¡¡structural¡¡analysis,¡¡but¡¡my¡¡"tool¡¡box"¡¡was¡¡still¡¡inadequate.¡¡I¡¡lacked¡¡a¡¡very¡¡important¡¡tool:¡¡finite¡¡element¡¡analysis.¡¡According¡¡to¡¡my¡¡professor,¡¡finite¡¡element¡¡analysis¡¡has¡¡revolutionized¡¡structural¡¡analysis.¡¡

Although¡¡I¡¡liked¡¡my¡¡classes,¡¡my¡¡internship¡¡experiences¡¡really¡¡confirmed¡¡my interest¡¡in¡¡structural¡¡engineering.¡¡While¡¡working¡¡at¡¡Caltrans¡¡as¡¡a¡¡student¡¡volunteer,¡¡I¡¡reviewed¡¡computer¡¡grading¡¡output¡¡for¡¡streets¡¡under¡¡construction.¡¡The¡¡computer¡¡suggested¡¡numbers¡¡for¡¡the¡¡road¡¡grading,¡¡and¡¡I¡¡had¡¡to¡¡plot¡¡the¡¡numbers¡¡and¡¡make¡¡sure¡¡there¡¡were¡¡no¡¡abrupt¡¡grade¡¡changes¡¡so¡¡the¡¡water¡¡can¡¡drain¡¡off¡¡easily¡¡to¡¡the¡¡sides¡¡of¡¡the¡¡road.¡¡It¡¡was exciting¡¡to¡¡know¡¡that¡¡I¡¡was¡¡the¡¡last¡¡checkpoint¡¡before¡¡the¡¡whole¡¡project¡¡went¡¡for¡¡approval.¡¡It¡¡was¡¡enjoyable¡¡working¡¡on¡¡something¡¡real,¡¡but I¡¡was¡¡somewhat¡¡disappointed¡¡I¡¡did¡¡not¡¡have¡¡the¡¡chance¡¡to¡¡work¡¡on¡¡any¡¡structures. At¡¡UC¡¡I¡¡volunteered¡¡through¡¡the¡¡Student¡¡Research¡¡Program to¡¡work¡¡in¡¡the¡¡geotechnical¡¡library.¡¡I¡¡worke d¡¡directly¡¡with¡¡a¡¡doctoral¡¡student¡¡and¡¡helped¡¡him¡¡to¡¡develop¡¡a¡¡geotechnical¡¡data¡¡base¡¡for¡¡the¡¡local area.¡¡I¡¡interpreted¡¡the¡¡data¡¡Caltrans¡¡had¡¡collected¡¡and¡¡recorded¡¡it¡¡in¡¡a form¡¡accessible¡¡to¡¡the¡¡computer¡¡and¡¡easy¡¡to¡¡read.¡¡It¡¡took¡¡hours¡¡to¡¡finish¡¡the¡¡job,¡¡but¡¡I¡¡enjoyed¡¡the¡¡precision¡¡involved¡¡so¡¡I¡¡did¡¡not¡¡mind¡¡putting¡¡in¡¡the¡¡time.¡¡My¡¡supervisor¡¡like¡¡my¡¡work¡¡so¡¡much,¡¡he¡¡hired¡¡me to¡¡continue¡¡the¡¡project¡¡during¡¡the¡¡summer.¡¡Working¡¡on¡¡this¡¡project¡¡also showed¡¡me¡¡the¡¡importance¡¡of¡¡soils¡¡in¡¡determining¡¡buildings¡¯¡¡responses¡¡to¡¡earthquakes¡¡and¡¡awakened¡¡my¡¡interest¡¡in¡¡the¡¡response¡¡of¡¡skyscrapers¡¡to¡¡seismic¡¡stress¡¡and¡¡movement.¡¡

At¡¡First¡¡Choice¡¡U,¡¡I¡¡plan¡¡to¡¡enroll¡¡in¡¡the¡¡structural¡¡engineering¡¡and¡¡geomechanics¡¡program.¡¡In¡¡this¡¡program¡¡I¡¡hope¡¡to¡¡draw¡¡on¡¡my¡¡structural¡¡analysis¡¡and¡¡geotechnical¡¡research¡¡background¡¡as¡¡a¡¡foundation¡¡for¡¡studying¡¡more¡¡advanced¡¡concepts.¡¡I¡¡am¡¡particularly¡¡interested¡¡in¡¡researching¡¡the¡¡ties¡¡between¡¡the¡¡structural¡¡engineering,¡¡aeromechanics,¡¡and¡¡applied¡¡mechanics.¡¡I¡¡believe¡¡research¡¡is¡¡necessary¡¡to¡¡acquire¡¡data¡¡and¡¡formulate¡¡theories, but¡¡it¡¡is¡¡just¡¡as¡¡important¡¡to¡¡know¡¡how¡¡to¡¡apply¡¡those¡¡theories¡¡and¡¡use¡¡that¡¡data¡¡in¡¡the¡¡real¡¡world.¡¡I¡¡hope¡¡to¡¡be¡¡involved¡¡in¡¡some¡¡structurally¡¡related¡¡research¡¡at¡¡First¡¡Choice¡¡U.¡¡

I¡¡am¡¡particularly¡¡interested¡¡in¡¡two¡¡research¡¡facilities:¡¡The¡¡Structures¡¡and¡¡Composites¡¡Laboratory¡¡and¡¡the¡¡Earthquake¡¡Engineering¡¡Center.¡¡After¡¡completing¡¡my¡¡degree¡¡in¡¡engineering¡¡and¡¡working¡¡on¡¡engineering¡¡projects,¡¡I¡¡know¡¡I¡¡want¡¡to¡¡design¡¡structures.¡¡That¡¡is¡¡what¡¡has¡¡fascinated¡¡me¡¡since¡¡I¡¡took¡¡Mr.¡¡Doe's¡¡class.¡¡I¡¡also¡¡know,¡¡however,¡¡that¡¡designing¡¡structures¡¡of¡¡a¡¡complexity¡¡that¡¡appeals¡¡to¡¡me¡¡requires¡¡"more¡¡tools¡¡in¡¡my¡¡toolbox."¡¡those¡¡I¡¡can¡¡acquire¡¡only¡¡by¡¡continuing¡¡my¡¡education.¡¡To¡¡be¡¡competent¡¡and¡¡competitive¡¡I¡¡will¡¡need¡¡a¡¡master's¡¡degree.¡¡After¡¡completing¡¡my degree,¡¡I¡¡would¡¡like¡¡to¡¡work¡¡for¡¡an¡¡American¡¡engineering¡¡consulting¡¡firm and¡¡engineer¡¡complex¡¡structures¡¡and¡¡tall¡¡buildings,¡¡perhaps¡¡focusing¡¡on¡¡the¡¡problems¡¡surrounding¡¡designing¡¡for¡¡earthquakes.¡¡My¡¡long-term¡¡goals¡¡is¡¡to¡¡return¡¡to¡¡Belize¡¡and¡¡found¡¡my¡¡own¡¡engineering¡¡consulting¡¡firm¡¡there.¡¡

Structural¡¡engineering¡¡will¡¡allow¡¡me¡¡to¡¡pursue¡¡a¡¡career¡¡where¡¡I¡¡can¡¡be creatively¡¡involved¡¡in¡¡problem-solving¡¡and¡¡design¡¡functional¡¡structures,¡¡like¡¡the¡¡simple¡¡truss¡¡bridge¡¡that¡¡initially¡¡captivated¡¡me¡¡in¡¡Mr.¡¡Doe's¡¡class.¡¡My classes,¡¡work¡¡at¡¡Caltrans,¡¡and¡¡internship¡¡in¡¡geotechnical¡¡engineering¡¡have¡¡increased¡¡my¡¡knowledge¡¡of¡¡and¡¡interest¡¡in¡¡structural¡¡engineering¡¡since¡¡I¡¡first¡¡looked¡¡at¡¡the¡¡textbook¡¡shortly¡¡after¡¡my¡¡arrival¡¡in¡¡the¡¡U.S..¡¡A¡¡master's¡¡degree¡¡will¡¡give¡¡me¡¡the¡¡up-to-date¡¡tools¡¡and¡¡knowledge¡¡to¡¡be¡¡competitive¡¡and¡¡competent.

[ ±¾Ìû×îºóÓÉ ºûµû½á ÓÚ 2006-5-4 15:14 ±à¼­ ]

ºûµû½á ·¢±íÓÚ 2006-5-5 11:44:01

take seat for remark

helenlhh ·¢±íÓÚ 2006-8-25 08:58:15

Õâ¸öÕýÊÇÎÒÒªµÄ£¡Ð»Ð»

hanpeidong ·¢±íÓÚ 2006-8-25 19:47:09

¶àлºûµû½á£¡£¡
Ò³: [1]
²é¿´ÍêÕû°æ±¾: PS·¶Àý¡ª¡ªStructural Engineering