寄托家园留学论坛

标题: 你好!招生官 | 11月08日 20:30-22:30 波士顿大学 法学院LLM课程 [打印本页]

作者: 连10    时间: 2017-10-31 18:51:14     标题: 你好!招生官 | 11月08日 20:30-22:30 波士顿大学 法学院LLM课程

寄托2018招生季
你好!招生官

波士顿大学
Boston University
法学院LLM硕士课程
LLM Program of BU Law

「活动时间」

提问时间:即刻起至互动环节结束(优先提问优先回答)
互动时间:2017年11月08日 20:30-22:30

各位gter请将你们的对这个专业的疑问在下面跟帖中发出,寄托将邀请招生官回复gter们的问题。

「院校介绍」

Founded in 1872, Boston University School of Law is a top-tier law school with a faculty recognized nationally for exceptional teaching and preeminent scholarship. You can explore virtually any area of the law in 200+ classes and seminars, 24 clinics and externships, and 21 study abroad opportunities. BU Law offers a full-time JD degree, five LLM degrees, and 17 dual degrees. With the support of a global network of nearly 24,000 alumni and a robust Career Development & Public Service Office, our graduates achieve remarkable career success. BU Law is located in the heart of Boston and housed in the ultra-modern Sumner M. Redstone Building and Law Tower. BU Law is one of the most influential schools in US legal education history, having introduced been the first US law school to introduce entrance requirements, as well as a requirement for three full years of education for the JD degree.

「课程介绍」

The LLM in American Law Program is one of the nation’s premier programs for global practitioners seeking to learn how US lawyers think, approach legal programs, and handle client matters. You’ll be integrated into the JD classroom, and have the opportunity to select from 200+ courses when creating your individualized study plan.

The Graduate Program in Banking & Financial Law equips you with the knowledge and skills needed to handle the regulatory, transactional and compliance needs of financial services clients in today’s global economy. Since conferring our first LLM in Banking and Financial Law degree in 1984, our program remains the only financial services LLM program in the country with its own faculty and a curriculum designed exclusively for graduate study. We’re ranked top 10 in the world by LLM Guide.

The LLM in Intellectual Property Law Program gives you the opportunity to learn advanced IP theory and doctrine from some of the top IP scholars in the world. For five consecutive years, U.S. News & World Report has ranked BU Law among the top ten schools for intellectual property studies.

The Graduate Tax Program equips you with the practical skills required for success in the field of taxation, whether you earn the degree through residential studies in Boston, online from home, or through a combination of both formats. An LLM in Taxation degree from BU Law is valued by employers all over the world: We’re ranked #8 in the nation for tax studies in U.S. News & World Report, and top 10 in the world by LLM Guide. For six straight years, we’ve been ranked among the country’s top seven LLM in taxation programs in the annual TaxTalent survey of corporate tax department heads.

The Two-Year LLM Program allows students to improve their Legal English in BU Law’s Legal English Certificate Program, before progressing to the LLM program of their choice. English proficiency requirements are lower for students entering the Two-Year LLM Program than other BU Law LLM programs.

The Executive LLM in International Business Law Program brings together a global network of accomplished professionals from a broad range of legal practices, industries, and businesses seeking intensive exposure to the core legal topics facing transnational enterprises. The program’s flexible, blended-learning executive format is ideal for busy practitioners who cannot attend a traditional, nine-month LLM program.

BU Law also offers summer Legal English Programs, including our six week Pre-LLM program. Open to any student enrolled in a US LLM program in the fall semester, this program prepares students for US LLM studies by providing early exposure to the ways of US law studies, and bridging the gap between their prior training and upcoming program.

申请要求

LLM degree program applicants must hold a first degree in law:

Master in the Study of Tax Law applicants must have a bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university, or the international equivalent, at the time of matriculation.

The Legal English Certificate Program (LECP) is also open to non-lawyers who have a bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university, or the international equivalent, at the time of matriculation.

Work experience: While work experience is not required (except in the case of our Executive LLM), it is highly valued.

申请资料

The following items are required supporting materials to complete the application for admission for all students:

针对国际生的补充资料
The following items are required supporting materials to complete the application for admission for foreign-trained applicants.Proof of English Language Proficiency: Proof of English language proficiency is not required if: (i) your native language is English; or (ii) you received your undergraduate or first law degree in a country where the language of instruction AND only official language are English.For all other applicants, we must receive satisfactory proof of your English proficiency in the form of either a TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) or IELTS (International English Language Testing System) score report, submitted via the LSAC LLM Credential Assembly Service. You should take one of these exams as early as possible, preferably eight months or more before your anticipated admission.TOEFL. If taking the TOEFL exam, you must demonstrate proficiency in English by achieving a minimum score of 600 (paper-based) or 250 (computer-based) or 100 (internet-based). If you have taken the new internet-based test, your scores on the individual sections should at a minimum be 25 (reading), 25 (listening), 25 (writing) and 25 (speaking). You must arrange for an official report of your TOEFL scores to be sent electronically to LSAC from the Educational Testing Service (ETS).IELTS. If taking the IELTS exam, you must achieve a minimum score of 7.0.For those affected by the current outbreak of coronavirus disease, COVID-19:  We are aware that English proficiency exams have been cancelled in several locations and we are implementing a solution so that applicants can still submit all of the required documents.  For the Summer and Fall 2020 semesters, we will accept scores from the Duolingo English Test, which can be taken online. If you choose to take this test, you will need to complete a few steps to ensure that we receive your score:
Your first and last nameYour LSAC ID numberThe date you took the Duolingo English TestA copy of your score certificate (in PDF format, if possible)Please continue to use LSAC to submit all of your other application documents.  Let us know if you have any questions or concerns.Applicants seeking exemption from the requirement to submit proof of English language proficiency are considered on a case by case basis. To request a waiver, you must submit a waiver request form (available in the “Forms” section of the application in LSAC) with your application, indicating the basis of your request. Waiver requests should be made as early as possible in the application process, so that applicants who are not granted waivers will still have time to take an English language proficiency examination. The law school retains discretion to approve or deny any waiver request.International Student Data Form: Foreign students are required to complete the International Student Data Form and provide the appropriate financial declaration and documentation, as described in the form. While these documents are formally required after academic admission, your official immigration documents may be expedited by submitting all materials with your initial application. To issue your immigration documents, we need to receive official financial documentation from you demonstrating the availability of funds to cover estimated tuition and living expenses for the academic year. Tuition and expenses for the 2019-2020 academic year will not be released until April 2019. To estimate these costs prior to their release, we suggest adding 3-5% to the 2018-2019 tuition and living expenses for graduate students. If you will be bringing a spouse and/or children, or if you will be attending the CELOP Legal English Summer Program, additional funds will be required. View CELOP’s fees and expenses.

「嘉宾介绍」

Matthew Jennings: Associate Director for Marketing, Outreach, & Operations

Matt is responsible for the marketing, student recruitment, and operations of BU Law’s graduate programs. Following his undergraduate studies in East Asian Studies at Brandeis University, Matt moved to China, where he became fluent in Mandarin Chinese and was the first-ever Foreign English Teacher at Benxi Number Five Middle School in Benxi, Liaoning Province. Upon returning to the United States, he joined The Cambridge Institute of International Education, a Boston-based international education consulting organization. At Cambridge, he became the founding Director of Global Marketing, overseeing international marketing for a network of more than 250 US private and public high schools, all during a time when Cambridge was among the fastest-growing privately-held companies in the US (#142 overall, as ranked by Inc. magazine). A life-long learner, Matt is proudly enrolled in the MBA program at BU’s Questrom School of Business.

「拓展阅读」

Bar qualification - Our LLM in American Law Program is our most popular program among student from China, as it is the most flexible, and therefore easiest to take courses that quality students to take the New York Bar Exam. This qualification is also possible with the Graduate Program in Banking & Financial Law, but slightly more challenging. BU Law offers individualized professional development advising on bar qualification after they enroll.

Internships - Both our LLM in American Law, and Graduate Program in Banking and Financail Law Programs offer (typically unpaid) internship placement opportunities: http://www.bu.edu/law/careers/ll ... hip-opportunities/.

Transfer to JD  - Students enrolled in the LLM in American Law Program may apply to the JD program as transfer students and—if they are admitted—may receive up to one-third of their JD credits from their LLM studies, consistent with American Bar Association standards. This means they may be able to complete the JD program with two additional years of study. To transfer, they do have to take the LSAT. More details about that can be found here: https://www.bu.edu/law/academics ... stions/#jdtransfer.

招生办联系信息

Graduate & International Programs Office

Boston University School of Law

765 Commonwealth Avenue, Suite 1003

Boston, MA 02215

Tel: 617-353-5323

Email: bullm@bu.edu

更多招生官答疑,请戳:
http://www.gter.net/topic/admission_2018/index.html
作者: dorisliu629    时间: 2017-11-7 15:11:46

Hello Matt,

Thank you for coming to Gter. I am an undergraduate student, in my junior year. My major is not law, but I want to study law for graduate diploma. Is it difficult to get in your LLM program? Do you accept students without academic or working experience in law??

Thank you
作者: 叫什么名字好    时间: 2017-11-7 18:16:09

Hi Matt, I finished my bachelor degree in UK, majoring accounting. I graduated in 2016 and I have one year working experience in accounting firm. Do you think I am qualified to apply the Banking & Financial Law program?
作者: 不等于    时间: 2017-11-8 11:48:37

帮我的朋友问一下,llm只有一年的时间,还有足够时间出去别的国家交换实习么
作者: walf-man    时间: 2017-11-8 15:30:17

Hi Matt,

Welcome to such a meaningful activity. I'm going to apply for the LLM course in your university. What's the standard of TOEFL admission for the people who have worked for several years?

thanks.
作者: mary6555    时间: 2017-11-8 17:10:15

Hi Matt,

Thank you for coming to Gter. I'm an undergraduate student and going to apply for the LLM course in your university. I'm very interested in Intellectual Property Law. Which LLM program would you suggest me to apply for, a general one or IP Law program? Will it be harder for undergraduate students to apply for specialized programs?

thanks.
作者: cookie_black    时间: 2017-11-8 17:48:40

Can I ask queations regarding JD program?
作者: bierjunjie8    时间: 2017-11-8 18:58:37

Hi Matt, it is greatly pleased to speak to you!

I'm very interested in campus life in BU, May I ask do you have interesting activities or organizations in Law school for us to meet our classmates and know each other rapidly?

Thank you!
作者: walf-man    时间: 2017-11-8 20:21:58

Hi Matt,

Nice to meet you, I wanna to know which qualities you'll prefer in PS? Compared with other schools,what is the most distinctive point of erollment conditions in BU? How about the employment of international students in Boston or New York law firms after graduation? Is it necessary to apply for a JD degree?

Thanks!
作者: 连10    时间: 2017-11-8 20:30:10

We are so pleased to have Matt with us. Welcome!In the following two hours (20:30-22:30) , Matt will try his best to answer your questions. So if you have any question about BU Law School or its LLM programs, just speak out~
作者: Gter3536311    时间: 2017-11-8 20:32:25

Welcome Matt! Thank you for taking time talking with us. I saw that you have 2 year llm program with English studies, and offer pre-llm summer English program as well. My question is how do I know which program is suitable for me? Do you have any recommendation?
作者: menglung    时间: 2017-11-8 20:35:03

Hi Matt,
I am currently working as a lawyer, but my English test score doesn't meet the requirement. I will re-take TOEFL in the near future, but I am wondering if BU will issue conditional offer, or maybe lower the language requirement for particular applicant. thank you!
作者: ingrules    时间: 2017-11-8 20:35:34

dorisliu629 发表于 2017-11-7 15:11
Hello Matt,

Thank you for coming to Gter. I am an undergraduate student, in my junior year. My m ...

Good morning! Thank you for asking the first question!

Unfortunately, our LLM programs require applicants to either have a first degree in law (this can be an LLB or LLM), or to be admitted to practice law in their home country. We do have graduate certificate programs that are open to applicants without a first degree in law. Sorry I couldn't give you better news!  If you choose to get an LLM abroad, that would qualify you to apply to an LLM at BU Law.
作者: ingrules    时间: 2017-11-8 20:37:39

叫什么名字好 发表于 2017-11-7 18:16
Hi Matt, I finished my bachelor degree in UK, majoring accounting. I graduated in 2016 and I have on ...

Hi 叫什么,

Based on your question, it does not seem as though you have a first degree in law, is that correct? Unfortunately, the Graduate Program in Banking & Financial Law requires a first degree in law to apply.  If you had a degree in law, and also experience in an accounting firm, you would definitely be qualified to apply, as we value experience outside of legal studies in applicants.
作者: ingrules    时间: 2017-11-8 20:39:27

不等于 发表于 2017-11-8 11:48
帮我的朋友问一下,llm只有一年的时间,还有足够时间出去别的国家交换实习么

我可以读中文啊。。。

一般来讲,LLM项目没有出国(study abroad)的机会。反正,LLM就是你的出国的机会。BU的JD有足够的出国机会。
作者: 花湖四海    时间: 2017-11-8 20:40:13

About the internship, I want to confirm that besides LLM in American Law, and Banking and Financail Law Programs, whether other llm programs offer internship opportunity?:loveliness:
作者: dorisliu629    时间: 2017-11-8 20:42:26

ingrules 发表于 2017-11-8 20:35
Good morning! Thank you for asking the first question!

Unfortunately, our LLM programs require  ...

Thank you for your answer. As the "to be admitted to practice law", if I find an internship in law firm before applying your program, will I be qualified?
作者: ingrules    时间: 2017-11-8 20:43:14

walf-man 发表于 2017-11-8 15:30
Hi Matt,

Welcome to such a meaningful activity. I'm going to apply for the LLM course in your uni ...

Hi walf-man,

Thanks for welcoming me!  We do not have a separate standard of TOEFL admission for applicants with a few years of work experience, our stated standard of 100 is for all international applicants. However, we do find that TOEFL results are less of an accurate prediction of English proficiency for applicants with work experience, than those coming straight from a degree program.

Additionally, for applicants who test below the 100 standard, keep in mind that we look at an application in its entirety when making a decision.  So if you are otherwise academically strong, chances are that will make up for being slightly below the 100 mark.  Additionally, we have many Legal English programs (Pre-LLM summer program, 3-semester LLM, 2-Year LLM) that allow us to admit students whose English we feel requires additional improvement, but are strong candidates otherwise.
作者: ingrules    时间: 2017-11-8 20:44:18

cookie_black 发表于 2017-11-8 17:48
Can I ask queations regarding JD program?

Hi cookie - You can ask questions about the JD program, but I may not be able to answer them! If I can't answer them, I will direct you to the correct resources here at the law school.
作者: Gter3598188    时间: 2017-11-8 20:45:05

Hi, I am interesting in the Intellectual Property Law Program. Will it be much difficult for me to prepare the New York Bar Exam?
作者: cookie_black    时间: 2017-11-8 20:47:40

ingrules 发表于 2017-11-8 20:44
Hi cookie - You can ask questions about the JD program, but I may not be able to answer them! If I ...

Thank you Matt. I want to know how many Chinese students you program admit every year for JD program?
作者: ingrules    时间: 2017-11-8 20:48:50

mary6555 发表于 2017-11-8 17:10
Hi Matt,

Thank you for coming to Gter. I'm an undergraduate student and going to apply for the  ...

Hi Mary,

Thank you for having me! This is a great question, as we receive a variation of it many times during the admissions process for our LLM in Banking (Graduate Program in Banking & Financial Law) and our LLM in IP (Intellectual Property). The most common track for people with your background is the LLM in American Law (our general LLM), which has a concentration in Intellectual Property. The concentration allows you to take the same courses as you would in the IP LLM, but have more choice in doing so, and is noted on your diploma and your transcript when you graduate.

Generally speaking, unless candidates have a strong academic background (something stronger than "I am interested in...") or work experience in the subject area covered in one of our specialized LLMs (Banking, Tax and IP), the LLM in American Law Program is going to be a better fit for them, and we are more likely to offer them admission to the LLM in American Law.
作者: poiuuio    时间: 2017-11-8 20:51:12

Dear sir, I read the page of frequently asked question that you gave. It is said that the program is designed for students to return to their home countries. is it difficult or impossible to work in US? How many international students stay in US after graduation? Can you share this data if available. Thank you very much!!!
作者: ingrules    时间: 2017-11-8 20:53:47

bierjunjie8 发表于 2017-11-8 18:58
Hi Matt, it is greatly pleased to speak to you!

I'm very interested in campus life in BU, May I a ...

Hi bierjunjie,

It is great to be speaking with you as well! As a large and diverse university, Boston University as a whole has hundreds of different clubs, that span almost every interest. BU Law is similar, having many clubs that our students find interesting: (https://www.bu.edu/law/admission ... dent-organizations/).  In addition to the official clubs, each of our LLM programs has a number of different events that bring students together. Some examples of those events this year (this is not a comprehensive list) include: Boston Celtics game, LLM student bar nights, American holiday celebrations (Thanksgiving), tour of the Boston Symphony, and lunch and learn sessions with JD students. Honestly, the problem for BU Law students is finding time for all the different things that they can do, because you could never attend everything available to you.
作者: 不等于    时间: 2017-11-8 20:54:07

ingrules 发表于 2017-11-8 20:39
我可以读中文啊。。。

一般来讲,LLM项目没有出国(study abroad)的机会。反正,LLM就是你的出国的机 ...

谢谢你的回复!!你的中文说得太好了!Impressing!!
作者: 叫什么名字好    时间: 2017-11-8 20:57:27

ingrules 发表于 2017-11-8 20:37
Hi 叫什么,

Based on your question, it does not seem as though you have a first degree in law,  ...

Yes, I don't have a degree in law. It's pity!! Really want to study in BU. But anyway, still very thanks for answering my question.
作者: ingrules    时间: 2017-11-8 20:58:27

walf-man 发表于 2017-11-8 20:21
Hi Matt,

Nice to meet you, I wanna to know which qualities you'll prefer in PS? Compared with oth ...

Hello again!

One thing that I strongly recommend in a PS, is that if you are applying for a specialized LLM program, please take the time to write a PS that identifies why you are interested in that program. Each year we receive personal statements from applicants applying to specialized programs that make no mention of why they are applying to that program. I understand that applicants are applying to many different schools, but taking the time to tailor your personal statement to the school and program you are applying for will be well worth your time.  I guarantee it.

Also, just to clarify: If you are applying to our general LLM (LLM in American Law), and you don't know exactly what you are interested in studying here at BU Law, that is totally fine. Students with many different interests are generally a good fit for the LLM in American Law, and we would not expect their personal statements to reflect only one area of interest.

作者: 洪洪    时间: 2017-11-8 21:02:05

Hello Matthew! I want to study llm very much but my family can't fully support me. Does BU Law school offer scholarship like tuition waiver to student?
作者: mary6555    时间: 2017-11-8 21:04:21

ingrules 发表于 2017-11-8 20:48
Hi Mary,

Thank you for having me! This is a great question, as we receive a variation of it man ...

Thank you a lot!!! You help me a lot to deal with my issue!!
Can I add another question? Will applications be reviewed on a rolling basis or in the during the application period?
Thank you!
作者: ingrules    时间: 2017-11-8 21:04:25

小小风车 发表于 2017-11-8 20:32
Welcome Matt! Thank you for taking time talking with us. I saw that you have 2 year llm program wit ...

Hi there 小小,

Thank you for your research on this! We are very proud of our 2-Year LLM program, and Pre-LLM summer program.

An easy way of thinking about it is that if your TOEFL score if below our standard (100), then chances are that you should consider one of our Legal English programs (Pre-LLM summer, 3 semester LLM, or 2-year LLM).  Keep in mind that we also interview every candidate for our program over Skype (or phone), so we are able to use these two data points to assess someone's English readiness for the LLM.

In terms of applying to a specific one of these, candidates can apply directly to the Extended LLM or to the Two-Year LLM. Again, it comes down to English readiness.  If a candidate cannot read, write and speak English fluently, then they are a good candidate for one of these programs. I cannot emphasize enough that LLM studies in the US are academically challenging, even for native speakers of English. For second-language learners, the challenge increases quite a bit.
作者: ingrules    时间: 2017-11-8 21:07:01

menglung 发表于 2017-11-8 20:35
Hi Matt,
I am currently working as a lawyer, but my English test score doesn't meet the requirement ...

Hi Menglung,

Thank you for coming on! As I mentioned in a few other comments, although the requirement is 100, if a candidate shows strength in other areas (such as work experience), we are likely to look on their application favorably. That being said, we may recommend, or require admitted students to do our Pre-LLM summer program, or extend their studies by a semester or more, depending on what we assess will allow them to be most successful in their LLM studies.
作者: Gter3536311    时间: 2017-11-8 21:12:50

ingrules 发表于 2017-11-08 21:04

Hi there 小小,

Thank you for your research on this! We are very proud of our 2-Year LLM program, and Pre-LLM summer program.

An easy way of thinking about it is that if your TOEFL score if below our standard (100), then chances are that you should consider one of our Legal English programs (Pre-LLM summer, 3 semester LLM, or 2-year LLM).  Keep in mind that we also interview every candidate for our program over Skype (or phone), so we are able to use these two data points to assess someone's English readiness for the LLM.

In terms of applying to a specific one of these, candidates can apply directly to the Extended LLM or to the Two-Year LLM. Again, it comes down to English readiness.  If a candidate cannot read, write and speak English fluently, then they are a good candidate for one of these programs. I cannot emphasize enough that LLM studies in the US are academically challenging, even for native speakers of English. For second-language learners, the challenge increases quite a bit.
thank you! Your answer helps! My TOEFL just reach 100 but I still feel that it will be too difficult for me to start the program without any training. So I can apply to the summer program after I get the offer, right?
作者: ingrules    时间: 2017-11-8 21:13:32

花湖四海 发表于 2017-11-8 20:40
About the internship, I want to confirm that besides LLM in American Law, and Banking and Financail  ...

Hello 花胡四海!

First of all, thank you for researching this topic in advance of this event! Currently, the only official internship programs are the LLM in American Law Internship Program, and the internship program offered through the Graduate Program in Banking & Financial Law.  Additional experiential learning opportunities offered through the school include the Pro Bono Program (https://www.bu.edu/law/careers/public-service-programs/), where you can volunteer your legal expertise to at-risk groups.

Finally, in recent years, students in the Graduate Tax Program have been asked to do some work with both the Harvard Law tax clinic, and also the joint clinic that BU Law has with MIT, to help student entrepreneurs get legal advice on their startup ideas.
(http://www.bu.edu/law/current-st ... urship-ip-cyberlaw/), However, for the last two, this is more on an as-needed, or as-available basis, and is not a permenant opportunity.
作者: ingrules    时间: 2017-11-8 21:14:47

dorisliu629 发表于 2017-11-8 20:42
Thank you for your answer. As the "to be admitted to practice law", if I find an internship in law ...

Hi Doris,

Unfortunately, an internship would not be sufficient to qualify for one of our programs. However, if you used that internship experience to help prepare you for the China bar exam, and passed the bar exam, that would qualify you.
作者: ingrules    时间: 2017-11-8 21:18:36

未知的风景 发表于 2017-11-8 20:45
Hi, I am interesting in the Intellectual Property Law Program. Will it be much difficult for me to p ...

Hello!

This is a great question! (I am not just saying that to be polite) One of the main reasons that students end up choosing the LLM in American Law Program with IP concentration is that it allows them to both end up with an IP specialization, and qualify for the New York bar. Keep in mind that the New York bar exam is not simply something that you need to prepare for, you also need to qualify to take it with your LLM coursework. Unfortunately, the LLM in Intellectual Property Law Program is not designed to help with bar qualification, it is primarily for those students seeking a deep, and unparalleled understanding of IP Law.  I hope that answers your question!

Matt
作者: Ah1o210@    时间: 2017-11-8 21:19:57

Good evening, will you interview every applicant when making decisions? look forward to your answer.     
作者: ingrules    时间: 2017-11-8 21:22:52

cookie_black 发表于 2017-11-8 20:47
Thank you Matt. I want to know how many Chinese students you program admit every year for JD progr ...

Hi Cookie,

I don't have the exact numbers, as I do not handle JD admissions, but on the JD class profile page (https://www.bu.edu/law/admissions/jd-admissions/class-profile/), you can see that about 16 countries are represented in the new class of JD's (2020). Knowing what I know, my guess would be that the new class of 236 students is about 15% international (30-40 international students), with about a quarter of those international students being from China. I'm not exactly sure how many students from China that means they accepted, but it is probably 3-4 times that number, given the number of schools that students typically apply to.
作者: Gter3598188    时间: 2017-11-8 21:23:06

ingrules 发表于 2017-11-08 21:18

Hello!

This is a great question! (I am not just saying that to be polite) One of the main reasons that students end up choosing the LLM in American Law Program with IP concentration is that it allows them to both end up with an IP specialization, and qualify for the New York bar. Keep in mind that the New York bar exam is not simply something that you need to prepare for, you also need to qualify to take it with your LLM coursework. Unfortunately, the LLM in Intellectual Property Law Program is not designed to help with bar qualification, it is primarily for those students seeking a deep, and unparalleled understanding of IP Law.  I hope that answers your question!

Matt
it is more clear for me now!thank you,otherwise I may choose the wrong program. thanks a looooooooot
作者: Berniiice    时间: 2017-11-8 21:23:26

招生官您好,非常开心能得到您的帮助~
我的问题是:从2018年8月1日之后入学的非美国法学教育的需要LL.M.学位(ABA法学院)获取参加NY Bar Exam资格的申请者,为了获得纽约律师执照,必须完成新规定的要求,520.18规定,你必须通过5种方式来体现出你具备成为纽约执业律师的能力。其中一种方式就是:
可以通过法学院来证明申请者具备执业律师的能力。法学院能够提供一个用于证明申请者具备基本的律师执业能力和职业道德的方案,而该方案必须在法学院官方网站上公布。申请者必须在这个方案中学会律师执业能力和职业道德。
请问BU是否可以提供满足520.18规定的方案呢?
作者: Gter3601580    时间: 2017-11-8 21:27:42

Hi, I want to know the importance of LSAC evaluation. LSAC evaluated my transcripts and give me a A grade. Does it matter a lot when applying? A grade of S will be better?
作者: ingrules    时间: 2017-11-8 21:29:43

poiuuio 发表于 2017-11-8 20:51
Dear sir, I read the page of frequently asked question that you gave. It is said that the program is ...

Hello!  Another great question! Allow me to do my best on it:

Working in the US after the LLM - This is something that varies considerably by each candidate. As a general rule, the more "marketable" a lawyer was before coming to the US (as seen in language skills, work experience, knowledge of in-demand practice areas), the more likely it is that they can find a permanent job here after their LLM. Candidates who are just coming out of their LLB will find it challenging to locate a permanent job here, as they are competing with the more experienced candidates, who are usually more desirable for employers. That being said, we have had graduates with little work experience find great jobs here in the US. A lot of it depends on the individual.

Staying in the US after graduation - The most common scenario is that students stay in the US after graduation in order to study for the New York bar exam, during their period of Optional Practical Training (OPT). There are also a number of pro bono (volunteer) opportunities that we help graduates find, while they are seeking practical experience.

And finally, I would be remiss for not mentioning that we offer comprehensive LLM Professional Development services to help make our graduates as marketable as possible to employers, both in the US and back home. These services start before our students arrive on campus, and continue all through their careers.  Once you come to BU Law, you are a part of our family for life!
作者: ingrules    时间: 2017-11-8 21:30:13

不等于 发表于 2017-11-8 20:54
谢谢你的回复!!你的中文说得太好了!Impressing!!

哪里哪里。。。
作者: ingrules    时间: 2017-11-8 21:30:53

叫什么名字好 发表于 2017-11-8 20:57
Yes, I don't have a degree in law. It's pity!! Really want to study in BU. But anyway, still very  ...

You are welcome! We hope you come to Boston in the future!
作者: ingrules    时间: 2017-11-8 21:33:45

洪洪 发表于 2017-11-8 21:02
Hello Matthew! I want to study llm very much but my family can't fully support me. Does BU Law schoo ...

Hello! I always like delivering good news, so here you go: We offer a scholarship program known as our LLM Scholars program. There is no need for applicants to fill out any additional paperwork to be considered, and we notify applicants of their award (if they receive one), at the time of admission. However, we do not ever offer full tuition waivers, so applicants will need to find their own funding sources. A slightly longer explanation of that is located on our LLM Admissions page here (http://www.bu.edu/law/admissions ... -degree-applicants/)
作者: ingrules    时间: 2017-11-8 21:35:00

mary6555 发表于 2017-11-8 21:04
Thank you a lot!!! You help me a lot to deal with my issue!!
Can I add another question? Will app ...

Hi Mary,

Another excellent question! We read applications, and issue both decisions and scholarship awards on a rolling basis.  So, although our Fall 2018 deadline is April 15th, we are actually already reading applications for next fall, and will begin interviews soon.
作者: poiuuio    时间: 2017-11-8 21:35:53

ingrules 发表于 2017-11-8 21:29
Hello!  Another great question! Allow me to do my best on it:

Working in the US after the LLM - ...

Agree that it depends on the individual hahaha I need to work harder and harder
作者: ingrules    时间: 2017-11-8 21:37:43

小小风车 发表于 2017-11-8 21:12
thank you! Your answer helps! My TOEFL just reach 100 but I still feel that it will be too difficult ...

Hi 小小,

There are two possible scenarios for you to enroll in the Pre-LLM program. The first scenario is that we feel you will not succeed in the program without it, and require you to attend before doing the LLM. The second scenario is that we do not require it of you, but any student coming to an LLM program (even if it is not a BU LLM) is free to enroll (although there is a short application process) in the Pre-LLM program. Again, this is something that we will work with you to determine what makes sense, based on your English.
作者: ingrules    时间: 2017-11-8 21:39:57

Ah1o210@ 发表于 2017-11-8 21:19
Good evening, will you interview every applicant when making decisions? look forward to your answer. ...

Hello! We make every effort to interview every applicant before making a decision. Only in rare cases do we not interview, such as if an applicant has abnormally low grades, or another "red flag" (history of trouble-making, criminal activity) in their application.
作者: 洪洪    时间: 2017-11-8 21:40:43

ingrules 发表于 2017-11-08 21:33

Hello! I always like delivering good news, so here you go: We offer a scholarship program known as our LLM Scholars program. There is no need for applicants to fill out any additional paperwork to be considered, and we notify applicants of their award (if they receive one), at the time of admission. However, we do not ever offer full tuition waivers, so applicants will need to find their own funding sources. A slightly longer explanation of that is located on our LLM Admissions page here (http://www.bu.edu/law/admissions ... -degree-applicants/)
Scholarship will help a lot~~Can I ask how much is the scholarship your program will offer?
作者: ingrules    时间: 2017-11-8 21:42:32

未知的风景 发表于 2017-11-8 21:23
it is more clear for me now!thank you,otherwise I may choose the wrong program. thanks a loooooooo ...

Great!  To be honest, applicants applying to the wrong program actually happens pretty often, and is a reason why we interview every applicant.  We don't hold it against applicants that apply to the wrong program, as we know that the names can be confusing. Just don't be surprised if we admit you to a program that you did not apply for!
作者: Gter3546601    时间: 2017-11-8 21:43:11

Dear Matt, I'm not going to apply for the American Law program. So I can't directly transfer to your JD program, right?
作者: ingrules    时间: 2017-11-8 21:46:17

花羊羊 发表于 2017-11-8 21:27
Hi, I want to know the importance of LSAC evaluation. LSAC evaluated my transcripts and give me a A  ...

Hi 花羊羊,

Think of the LSAC evaluation as one part of the overall application. As with other parts of your application, having a stronger score/submission will help you, but will likely not "make or break" your chances of admission.

It is kind of like having a TOEFL of 100, when you wanted a TOEFL of 105. For us, the two scores are very close, and not likely to change our decision making much on your candidacy. Would we prefer that a candidate had a 105, as opposed to a 100?  Yes, of course. But the difference is pretty insignificant, when looking at the application as a whole.
作者: liuband    时间: 2017-11-8 21:48:10

Hello officer, I have 1 years of working experience. Do you recommend applicant with working background to apply American Law program? Or the program with specific concentration would be better?
作者: mary6555    时间: 2017-11-8 21:48:40

ingrules 发表于 2017-11-8 21:35
Hi Mary,

Another excellent question! We read applications, and issue both decisions and scholar ...

THANK YOU!!
You really help me a lot!!:D:D:D
作者: Gter3601580    时间: 2017-11-8 21:51:42

ingrules 发表于 2017-11-08 21:46

Hi 花羊羊,

Think of the LSAC evaluation as one part of the overall application. As with other parts of your application, having a stronger score/submission will help you, but will likely not "make or break" your chances of admission.

It is kind of like having a TOEFL of 100, when you wanted a TOEFL of 105. For us, the two scores are very close, and not likely to change our decision making much on your candidacy. Would we prefer that a candidate had a 105, as opposed to a 100?  Yes, of course. But the difference is pretty insignificant, when looking at the application as a whole.
I see!I will try to demonstrate my strength in other parts!Thanks Matt for joining us tonight! Have a good day~
作者: ingrules    时间: 2017-11-8 21:53:36

Berniiice 发表于 2017-11-8 21:23
招生官您好,非常开心能得到您的帮助~
我的问题是:从2018年8月1日之后入学的非美国法学教育的需要LL.M.学 ...

Hi Bernice! (or Berniiice)

This question is really important, and I do not think many applicants are aware of this issue. Due to the complexity of this question, I think that answering in English is best.

Yes, we are very aware that the "5 Pathways" for taking the New York bar are changing, and that starting in the fall of 2018, it will be more challenging for recent LLB graduates without work experience to qualify for the exam.  At BU Law, we are planning to introduce a "New York Bar skills qualification track" (name in progress) to our LLM in American Law Program, that will allow interested students to satisfy New York's requirements during the course of their LLM studies here. Enrollment in this track will be done during our course registration period, in July and August of 2018, prior to the start of the semester in August. More details about this track will be forthcoming later this year, or early next year on our website.

I hope this answers the question! It would have taken me an hour to write this clearly in Chinese...
作者: Gter3598188    时间: 2017-11-8 21:55:30

ingrules 发表于 2017-11-08 21:42

Great!  To be honest, applicants applying to the wrong program actually happens pretty often, and is a reason why we interview every applicant.  We don't hold it against applicants that apply to the wrong program, as we know that the names can be confusing. Just don't be surprised if we admit you to a program that you did not apply for!
very considerate and makes me want to be part of your community!(I am not just saying that to be polite too haha)
作者: 小猪猪grace    时间: 2017-11-8 21:58:06

本帖最后由 小猪猪grace 于 2017-11-8 22:05 编辑

Hello officer! I am an undergraduate now and I really want to know the minimum GPA requirment in BU Law. I wonder whether I have the chance to apply for general programme like American Law. My GPA is 3.31/4(79.26/100). Thanks!
作者: 艾氏非鲫    时间: 2017-11-8 22:00:28

Nice to have you here Matt!My question is:
Does the career center hold events helping students prepare for the OCI?
作者: ingrules    时间: 2017-11-8 22:01:13

洪洪 发表于 2017-11-8 21:40
Scholarship will help a lot~~Can I ask how much is the scholarship your program will offer?

Hi!  This is something that varies by applicant.  As a general rule, applicants with stronger academic credentials (GPA, TOEFL) and more work experience (especially at well-regarded firms) will receive the highest scholarships. Scholarships typically range from 5%-30% of tuition in a given year, with a great majority of scholarships given at the bottom of that range (5%-15%).
作者: cookie_black    时间: 2017-11-8 22:02:49

ingrules 发表于 2017-11-8 21:22
Hi Cookie,

I don't have the exact numbers, as I do not handle JD admissions, but on the JD clas ...

Sorry for my tardy response. This data is really helpful:loveliness:I will contact the JD program later for more questions. thank you
作者: ingrules    时间: 2017-11-8 22:06:17

丸子258 发表于 2017-11-8 21:43
Dear Matt, I'm not going to apply for the American Law program. So I can't directly transfer to your ...

Hello! I was waiting for this question to come up! Your second sentence is a little confusing, as you seem to be saying that you are not applying for the LLM in American Law program, and you are not planning to transfer to the JD program from that program (which you did not plan to apply to).  I am going to answer, assuming your question was: "What are the options to transfer to the JD program from the LLM in American Law Program?".  

I created a part on our website devoted to answering this question, that you can find here:
http://www.bu.edu/law/academics/ ... estions/#jdtransfer. The only thing I have to add to this, is that while we typically have a few graduates successfully apply to the JD program each year, the timing is difficult, as we require transfer applicants to take the LSAT. Given that many graduates are looking to take a bar exam, they find it challenging (if not impossible) to do their LLM studies, prepare for the LSAT, and prepare for a bar exam. At a certain point, it becomes necessary to choose which of these is the best option for an individual.  As I mentioned above, we have the LLM Professional Development staff in place to help students make these difficult decisions.
作者: Gter3536311    时间: 2017-11-8 22:07:18

ingrules 发表于 2017-11-08 21:37

Hi 小小,

There are two possible scenarios for you to enroll in the Pre-LLM program. The first scenario is that we feel you will not succeed in the program without it, and require you to attend before doing the LLM. The second scenario is that we do not require it of you, but any student coming to an LLM program (even if it is not a BU LLM) is free to enroll (although there is a short application process) in the Pre-LLM program. Again, this is something that we will work with you to determine what makes sense, based on your English.
非常清楚了!谢谢招生官!!!
作者: 洪洪    时间: 2017-11-8 22:09:56

ingrules 发表于 2017-11-08 22:01

Hi!  This is something that varies by applicant.  As a general rule, applicants with stronger academic credentials (GPA, TOEFL) and more work experience (especially at well-regarded firms) will receive the highest scholarships. Scholarships typically range from 5%-30% of tuition in a given year, with a great majority of scholarships given at the bottom of that range (5%-15%).
valuable information!thanks!!!
作者: ingrules    时间: 2017-11-8 22:09:59

liuband 发表于 2017-11-8 21:48
Hello officer, I have 1 years of working experience. Do you recommend applicant with working backgro ...

Hi liuband,

It is hard to make this recommendation without knowing more about you. In any given year, the LLM in American Law Program will have students with decades of work experience, and students with very little work experience. Because the program is so flexible, students with very different interests can be studying completely different areas of law (outside of the 2 required courses), and getting the same degree.

Also of importance: For applicants without a background in a specialized area, their chances of admission will be maximized if they apply to the LLM in American Law Program, as it is designed for a wide range of interests.
作者: ingrules    时间: 2017-11-8 22:13:57

小猪猪grace 发表于 2017-11-8 21:58
Hello officer! I am an undergraduate now and I really want to know the minimum GPA requirment in BU  ...

Hi grace!

Because we receive applications from such a wide range of education systems, we do not have a minimum GPA, as not every applicant comes from a system that has a 0-4 GPA scale (or even a 0-100 scale).  We evaluate each applicant in the context of their system.  So, for example, if their GPA 3.9, but they were in the 50th percentile of their class, we would consider both facts when looking at their candidacy.  And, generally speaking, our general LLM (the LLM in American Law) does have a higher acceptance rate than our specialized programs, so I would imagine (hard to say without more information) that you would have a chance in applying for admission to it.
作者: Gter3546601    时间: 2017-11-8 22:14:44

ingrules 发表于 2017-11-08 22:06

Hello! I was waiting for this question to come up! Your second sentence is a little confusing, as you seem to be saying that you are not applying for the LLM in American Law program, and you are not planning to transfer to the JD program from that program (which you did not plan to apply to).  I am going to answer, assuming your question was: "What are the options to transfer to the JD program from the LLM in American Law Program?".  

I created a part on our website devoted to answering this question, that you can find here:
http://www.bu.edu/law/academics/ ... estions/#jdtransfer. The only thing I have to add to this, is that while we typically have a few graduates successfully apply to the JD program each year, the timing is difficult, as we require transfer applicants to take the LSAT. Given that many graduates are looking to take a bar exam, they find it challenging (if not impossible) to do their LLM studies, prepare for the LSAT, and prepare for a bar exam. At a certain point, it becomes necessary to choose which of these is the best option for an individual.  As I mentioned above, we have the LLM Professional Development staff in place to help students make these difficult decisions.
sorry I didnt state my question clearly. I am more interesting in the banking program, but only students enrolled in American Law program are qualified to transfer to JD program right?
作者: Berniiice    时间: 2017-11-8 22:16:27

ingrules 发表于 2017-11-8 21:53
Hi Bernice! (or Berniiice)

This question is really important, and I do not think many applicant ...

wow! you are so kind and thoughtful!
sorry, I should have noted that of course you could choose to answer in English of course, I am very sorry for wasting your time. And you have sovled my problem perfectly!
By the way, I read the letter from dean of BU Law School on the website the other day, I was very impressed with the philosophy of him and BU. Whether I am going to BU or not finally, I want to say BU is a respectable school and dean of law school is a respectable man!
作者: ingrules    时间: 2017-11-8 22:18:47

艾氏非鲫 发表于 2017-11-8 22:00
Nice to have you here Matt!My question is:
Does the career center hold events helping students pr ...

Hello!  We don't call it a career center, but our LLM Professional Development team (we have 4 advisors, depending on which program you enroll in) does help students prepare for interviews and job fairs. Full disclosure here: The only on-campus interview opportunities that we have had in recent years have been for members of our Graduate Tax Program, which sees considerable interest from the "Big 4" accounting firms (EY, KPMG, Deloitte, PwC).  We have considerable connections with these organizations, and many of the Tax Program's graduates get jobs with them each year. The Tax program also has a Tax Attorney Recruiting Event in DC each year, where the above Big 4 firms, and others (law firms, Fortune 500s) come to recruit our students. In summary, recruitment opportunities are most abundant for Tax LLMs.

That being said, other programs do have off-campus interview opportunities, such as the International Student Interview Program (ISIP) each year.
作者: liuband    时间: 2017-11-8 22:20:38

ingrules 发表于 2017-11-08 22:09

Hi liuband,

It is hard to make this recommendation without knowing more about you. In any given year, the LLM in American Law Program will have students with decades of work experience, and students with very little work experience. Because the program is so flexible, students with very different interests can be studying completely different areas of law (outside of the 2 required courses), and getting the same degree.

Also of importance: For applicants without a background in a specialized area, their chances of admission will be maximized if they apply to the LLM in American Law Program, as it is designed for a wide range of interests.
based on what you said, I think American Law program will be more suitable for me. thank you Matt. really appreciate your effort.
作者: ingrules    时间: 2017-11-8 22:25:05

丸子258 发表于 2017-11-8 22:14
sorry I didnt state my question clearly. I am more interesting in the banking program, but only stu ...

Sorry about the confusion!

It is technically possible for graduates of the banking program to apply to transfer to the JD program, but because a big part of the application in transferring to JD is a recommendation letter from a BU Law faculty member, we find that LLM in American Law graduates tend to do a little bit better. That is because the LLM in American Law courses are more frequently taught by the JD faculty. So, transfer candidates can rely on having taken classes with JD faculty, and getting recommendations from them, which tend to be regarded better than recommendations from the banking program's faculty, because the JD admissions committee is more familiar with JD faculty. I hope this answers the question clearly.  

In summary, it is possible, but not recommended, if a candidate's goal is to transfer to the JD program, to first seek admission into the banking program.
作者: ingrules    时间: 2017-11-8 22:25:59

Berniiice 发表于 2017-11-8 22:16
wow! you are so kind and thoughtful!
sorry, I should have noted that of course you could choose  ...

Surprisingly, our Dean is actually a woman!!! Given that BU Law was one of the first law school's in the US to admit women, I think it is fitting. :)
作者: ingrules    时间: 2017-11-8 22:29:49

Hi Everyone,

Looks like your questions are close to being over, so I wanted to give you a special surprise!  If you asked a question during this session, please email me at bullm@bu.edu, telling me what your screen name was, and I will send over a present (spoiler alert: it's an application fee waiver) from BU Law, for taking part!

For people that did not ask a question (before this post goes up), we give application fee waivers to people that attend our events, so let me know if you are interested (bullm@bu.edu), and I will alert you when we have another event coming up. We are planning on having a formal webinar in December.
作者: walf-man    时间: 2017-11-8 22:30:13

ingrules 发表于 2017-11-8 20:43
Hi walf-man,

Thanks for welcoming me!  We do not have a separate standard of TOEFL admission fo ...

Thanks for your reply! As what you said, does it mean that a pre-LLM summer program maybe a second chance to be accepted by BU's formal LLM program?
作者: Gter3546601    时间: 2017-11-8 22:31:24

ingrules 发表于 2017-11-08 22:25

Sorry about the confusion!

It is technically possible for graduates of the banking program to apply to transfer to the JD program, but because a big part of the application in transferring to JD is a recommendation letter from a BU Law faculty member, we find that LLM in American Law graduates tend to do a little bit better. That is because the LLM in American Law courses are more frequently taught by the JD faculty. So, transfer candidates can rely on having taken classes with JD faculty, and getting recommendations from them, which tend to be regarded better than recommendations from the banking program's faculty, because the JD admissions committee is more familiar with JD faculty. I hope this answers the question clearly.  

In summary, it is possible, but not recommended, if a candidate's goal is to transfer to the JD program, to first seek admission into the banking program.
it is really clear!lots of Thanks!just another question:I still have opportunity to concentrate on finance and banking on JD program if successfully transferright?
作者: walf-man    时间: 2017-11-8 22:36:27

ingrules 发表于 2017-11-8 20:58
Hello again!

One thing that I strongly recommend in a PS, is that if you are applying for a spe ...

Thanks so much!
I‘m very interested in your special LLM program and I'm sure I will do my best to get the letter of admission. I am full of confidence.

thank you again!
作者: 连10    时间: 2017-11-8 22:36:30

Now the session has come to an end. Thanks all gters’ participation. And thanks for Matt’s great answers and the surprise!!!
作者: ingrules    时间: 2017-11-8 22:42:38

walf-man 发表于 2017-11-8 22:30
Thanks for your reply! As what you said, does it mean that a pre-LLM summer program maybe a second ...

The session is officially over, but to quickly answer this: Candidates that we don't feel we can admit directly to the 2 semester LLM without additional preparation, we will likely admit to the 2 semester LLM with Pre-LLM as a condition. We try to design our LLM program enrollment options around what is best for students to be successful in our programs.
作者: ingrules    时间: 2017-11-8 22:46:07

丸子258 发表于 2017-11-8 22:31
it is really clear!lots of Thanks!just another question:I still have opportunity to concentrate o ...

To quickly answer:

At BU Law, we do not have any limit on courses in this area.  You can find a full list of the courses in this area here: http://www.bu.edu/law/academics/ ... king-financial-law/

Also, and this is more for the benefit of other readers, if your main goal is to become an expert in corporate law, we find that the International Business Practice concentration in our LLM in American Law program is a better fit for that than the LLM in Banking & Financial Law. Many applicants confuse "financial law" with "business law". http://www.bu.edu/law/academics/ ... law/concentrations/
作者: walf-man    时间: 2017-11-8 23:14:30

ingrules 发表于 2017-11-8 22:42
The session is officially over, but to quickly answer this: Candidates that we don't feel we can a ...

Thanks so much!

欢迎光临 寄托家园留学论坛 (https://bbs.gter.net/) Powered by Discuz! X2