注册时间
2006-1-21
精华
帖子

Libra天秤座 荣誉版主 挑战ETS奖章 QQ联合登录

跳转到指定楼层
楼主
发表于 2006-4-15 20:59:13 |只看该作者 |倒序浏览
给申请bilingual education  的同学一个很棒的的PERSONAL STATEMENT(自荐信)写作的范例, 这个牛MM 是我的同学, 他今年成功申请到了Columbia university - bilingual education。他能够取得今天的成绩是和他的努力分不开的, 真得很为他骄傲。 大家可以从他的personal statement看到闪光点也可以借鉴一下。

:lol
TESOL Stories: Liheng Bai

“What an extraordinary situation is that of us mortals! Each of us is here for a brief sojourn.”
--Written by Albert Einstein in “The World as I See It”

I am always thinking that one day when I am confronted with death, what impression have I left to the world? My answer will be my contribution to bilingual teaching, with which I fell deeply in love. I am fortunate to have found my lifetime aspiration early in my life.

Therefore, with courage and ambition, I am applying for the Master of Arts program in Bilingual Education of Teachers College, Columbia University. I am excited to find that the courses in bilingual education are well designed and comprehensive. After learning the courses, for example, Foundation of Bilingual Education, Administration of Bilingual Programs, and Bilingual Education: International Perspectives, not only can I build a solid foundation for my career by developing advanced and systematic bilingual teaching knowledge, but I will also have the opportunity to study managerial, financial, and policy issues with an international perspective in bilingual education. Surely my dream of eventually becoming an expert in bilingual education in China can be realized.

I was born into a working class family. Neither of my parents was well educated, but they were very strict regarding my study performance, especially English. They know that now in China without English, I cannot advance far. When I was twelve, my parents started their own business, and they were so busy that they had no time to take care of me. Thus I began living alone and managed everything myself. For a little girl, living alone is not that easy, yet hard life taught me to be independent and resolute. Since then I have always made my own decision at turning points in my life.

When I began learning my ABCs in junior high school, I was blessed to have some stimulating English teachers, who aroused my interest in language learning, and I became enthusiastic about English. After winning several awards in national English competitions, I set myself a more challenging goal of entering Shanghai International Studies University (SISU)--the dream of language learners throughout China.

However, in college I was frustrated to discover that English was no longer what I could take pride in. In the past I had paid little attention to oral English and only cared about good grades. However, in college English classes, I was even ashamed to open my mouth and speak English! I kept questioning myself: was I tempted to give up because I had fallen behind? No, that is not my style. Beginning with basic phonetics and pronunciation, I improved myself. I had read all the books about oral English that I could buy in the bookstores and struggled through my entire freshman year with it. As my classmates gradually became curious as to how my oral English had improved so much, I knew I had succeeded.

Some of my classmates complained to me that they also suffered from poor oral English but do not know how to overcome it. Suddenly an idea came to my mind: why not share my experiences with them? Thus, I organized the E+E Oral English Association. E+E stands for Enthusiasm and Enjoy losing face, which became our slogan. We successfully recruited nearly 100 student members and held various activities to improve their spoken English. In our classes, I teach American pronunciation, and a native speaker teaches western culture and customs. Since I could not find a proper pronunciation textbook, I compiled materials especially for our members.

We also organized lectures for commercial language training schools. In this way our college students can acquire language-learning techniques, and E+E also makes a profit. With the money earned, E+E Foundation was born, and volunteer English teaching trips to rural areas of China were organized. Until now we had visited two primary schools. We donated stationery supplies and also sponsored 10 students in Sichuan Province and 15 students in Gansu Province, China, who were too poor to afford the tuition. To my satisfaction, my efforts were not in vain, and I made myself meaningful for others. For two years, I have spent almost all my spare time in E+E’ s development, seeing its birth, growth, and achievements. And meanwhile, as a Russian major student, I squeezed time to study my major and also had a good performance.

More and more I was becoming involved in an English teaching career. In late June 2005 I was invited to attend TESOL (Teachers of English to Speakers of Other Languages) Academy held in Washington, DC. It turned out that I was not only the only undergraduate student, but also the only representative from China. From this trip I also got many enlightening ideas for teaching. The experience in America strengthened my dedication to an ESL career.

In August 2005, after a strict auditional teaching selection I got the highest score among the Teacher's Committee and started teaching Oral English in New Oriental School (NOS)—the largest language training institute in China. I have taught nearly 1000 students, ranging from children to adults. As a tradition of NOS, in order to gain high profits, usually in one class there are 200-500 students. In my class every time I have about 300 students, and it is impossible for me to give every student effective guidance. Education should not be so money-oriented. This is a key factor why in the future I am determined to set up my own language school, which should take more responsibility for the students, rather than merely aim at making a profit.

Another incentive to select this career came from seeing the problems in ESL teaching in both public and private schools in China. China is suffering from English fever, and it is estimated that in China there are at least 30 million English learners. This fever has been elevated to epidemic proportions by the nation’s entry to WTO and the opportunities to host the Olympics in 2008 and Expo in 2010. The increased demand has created a thriving language industry. However, high profitability and low market entry requirements have caused numerous problems. It is also ironic that ESL teaching in the public education system cannot satisfy students’ needs, so students must turn to private training schools for help. Public school deficiencies include old textbooks, shortage of qualified teachers, and reliance only on traditional teaching methods. Even after ten years’ study, many college students are weak in speaking. I remind myself I am responsible for making a difference! However, before I can achieve that goal, I need to further my study in bilingual education.

Through study at Teachers College, I intend to become a pioneer in revolutionizing language teaching, especially oral English teaching in China. I hope to contribute in the following areas: introducing more qualified native teachers to China; bringing advanced teaching methodologies into China, importing the latest English educational publications, improving teacher training programs, and ultimately, one day to set up my own language training school to provide more chances for poor students in rural China.

With strong motivation and potential, I am eager to fulfill my dream by pursuing my MA in Bilingual Education at Teachers College. If I were honored to have that opportunity, I will be more powerful in helping 30 million English learners in China to learn more easily and efficiently.

:cool:

无论你的记忆有没有回复,我们都是最好的朋友。。。
回应

使用道具 举报

声望
寄托币
注册时间
2003-11-16
精华
帖子
沙发
发表于 2006-4-15 21:05:37 |只看该作者
斑竹MM辛苦你了

使用道具 举报

声望
寄托币
注册时间
2006-1-21
精华
帖子

板凳
发表于 2006-4-15 21:38:57 |只看该作者
对tesol 感兴趣的同学经常关注下 www.tesol.org 这个网址。里面经常有tesol 组织的workshop 的活动。

无论你的记忆有没有回复,我们都是最好的朋友。。。

使用道具 举报

声望
寄托币
注册时间
2004-9-5
精华
帖子
地板
发表于 2006-4-16 03:11:29 |只看该作者
先恭喜你这位同学。 又一位牛人呐。 请问你这位同学申请的Columbia university - bilingual education拿奖了吗?全奖还是半奖呢?听说tesol 非常难拿奖。能否详细介绍下她的背景?
谢谢

使用道具 举报

声望
寄托币
注册时间
2006-1-21
精华
帖子

发表于 2006-4-16 03:37:10 |只看该作者
原帖由 rhubarbs 于 2006-4-16 03:11 发表
先恭喜你这位同学。 又一位牛人呐。 请问你这位同学申请的Columbia university - bilingual education拿奖了吗?全奖还是半奖呢?听说tesol 非常难拿奖。能否详细介绍下她的背景?
谢谢

这个同学的background 已经很好的体现在他上面的personal statement 里面了。 他的奖学金还没有消息, 但我觉得他有希望的。tesol 的确很难拿奖。:)

无论你的记忆有没有回复,我们都是最好的朋友。。。

使用道具 举报

声望
寄托币
注册时间
2005-7-14
精华
帖子
发表于 2006-4-16 14:46:37 |只看该作者
多谢斑斑了,很有启发性,也祝你的同学能早日拿到OFFER

使用道具 举报

声望
寄托币
注册时间
2006-3-16
精华
帖子
发表于 2006-4-16 18:53:21 |只看该作者
真是很不错的一篇Personal Statement呀!相信她一定是很有希望能拿到奖学金的,加油!

使用道具 举报

声望
寄托币
注册时间
2006-2-25
精华
帖子
发表于 2006-5-19 11:12:21 |只看该作者
这个mm的background很厉害呢!
ps也写得流畅有理,很有说服力的说~~~深受启发ing...

衷心祝愿这位有志向的mm早日达成梦想!!

使用道具 举报

声望
寄托币
注册时间
2006-1-21
精华
帖子

发表于 2006-5-19 11:39:03 |只看该作者
原帖由 irenezhang 于 2006-4-16 14:46 发表
多谢斑斑了,很有启发性,也祝你的同学能早日拿到OFFER

she will make it. i believe her!:)

无论你的记忆有没有回复,我们都是最好的朋友。。。

使用道具 举报

声望
寄托币
注册时间
2006-1-21
精华
帖子

发表于 2006-5-19 11:40:22 |只看该作者
原帖由 jennynbu 于 2006-4-16 18:53 发表
真是很不错的一篇Personal Statement呀!相信她一定是很有希望能拿到奖学金的,加油!

thank you ~:D

无论你的记忆有没有回复,我们都是最好的朋友。。。

使用道具 举报

声望
寄托币
注册时间
2006-1-21
精华
帖子

发表于 2006-5-19 11:41:44 |只看该作者
原帖由 apiyo_07 于 2006-5-19 11:12 发表
这个mm的background很厉害呢!
ps也写得流畅有理,很有说服力的说~~~深受启发ing...

衷心祝愿这位有志向的mm早日达成梦想!!

she is very busy right now. but i think she is a person with strong will power, she will achieve it ~. let's bless for her.:):handshake:)

无论你的记忆有没有回复,我们都是最好的朋友。。。

使用道具 举报

声望
寄托币
注册时间
2004-10-4
精华
帖子
发表于 2006-5-20 06:03:42 |只看该作者
thank you for sharing!

使用道具 举报

声望
寄托币
注册时间
2006-1-21
精华
帖子

发表于 2006-5-20 09:23:30 |只看该作者
原帖由 xwzhao 于 2006-5-20 06:03 发表
thank you for sharing!

:D

you are welcome~

无论你的记忆有没有回复,我们都是最好的朋友。。。

使用道具 举报

声望
寄托币
注册时间
2006-10-5
精华
帖子
发表于 2006-10-7 22:51:06 |只看该作者
good example. fingers-crossed!

使用道具 举报

声望
寄托币
注册时间
2006-5-30
精华
帖子
发表于 2006-11-5 15:44:15 |只看该作者
真是优秀的MM啊,楼主MM也是上外毕业的吗?居然还不知道我们的斑竹MM现在在那个学校读那个专业呢?MM的这位优秀同学最后得到奖学金了吗?

她是我的动力和榜样!!!另外这位MM学术上有什么背景吗?有论文什么的吗?谢谢斑竹MM发的好文!

使用道具 举报

RE: 2007 申请双语教学/TESOL的同学请进 [修改]
您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 立即注册

问答
Offer
投票
面经
最新
精华
转发
转发该帖子
2007 申请双语教学/TESOL的同学请进