寄托家园留学论坛

标题: 我说故我在-跟老友记练口语-1*01 [打印本页]

作者: 指向大海    时间: 2005-4-21 22:43:30     标题: [color=blue]我说故我在-跟老友记练口语-1*01[/color]

The One Where Monica Gets a New Roommate (The Pilot-The Uncut Version)
Scene: Warm weekend afternoon. A small street in Manhattan. Around the corner, a small café Central Perk is standing with flowers waving above the door. Some guys are enjoying their time inside. Now we can see in the sofas sitting four guys, Chandler, Joey, Phoebe, and Monica.
一个清爽的午后,阳光撒在身上有说不出的舒服。这里是曼哈顿一个普通的街道,转过一个街角,看到一簇大丽花挂在一个小咖啡店的标牌前面,牌子上刻着Central Perk,一看便知是在开Central Park中央公园的玩笑。隔着窗子看进去,生意不错,几个一堆边喝边聊,不时爆发出一阵阵笑声喝碰杯的声音。也有一个人独坐窗边静静思考,出神地看着外面的景致。
Monica: There's nothing to tell! He's just some guy I work with!
Monica开始了老友记的第一句话
Joey: C'mon, you're going out with the guy! There's gotta be something wrong with him!
每天要说无数次的“出什么事了?”“怎么了”,英语里最救急的一句就是what’s wrong (with somebody/something)?你看到窗户总是在半夜自己敞开,伴随着“吱――”的响动,something wrong is going on!再比如,你全朋友今晚别看电视了,因为吵着你睡觉了,朋友自然不乐意,于是你说一句this is simply wrong!(你就是不该这么做)先让他感到事态严峻,随后说原因,如果每天都看无聊的soaps肥皂剧,自然不适合追求修养的人。
Chandler: All right Joey, be nice. 这里chandler一脸严肃的批评Joey,后面转头一问有变回了没有口德的chandler So does he have a hump? A hump and a hairpiece? 这是Chandler挖苦Paul的话,意思是:他有驼背么?有假发的驼子?
Phoebe: Wait, does he eat chalk?
(They all stare, bemused.)
Phoebe: Just, 'cause, I don't want her to go through what I went through with Carl- oh!
在讲go through之前,看两道托福听力。9508-07
7. I had a hard time getting through this novel.
I know how you feel. Who can remember the names of 35 different characters.
What does the woman imply?
7.        (A) She also found the book difficult.
(B) She has learned a lot about names.
(C) She doesn't remember the title of the novel.
(D) She read a different book.
这里的get through=go through,就是看书读书的意思,此题还被四六级委员会利用过。
普林斯顿样题3-21 Tim really seems to go through a lot of money, didn’t he?
Like water, and he has nothing to show for it. 这里是花钱的意思。
可见go through就是神通广大的衍生词组,其中的意义很清楚,往前走,一直穿过去,或者是通过幸福,或者是经历煎熬。还有过海关是go through the customs,受苦就是go through the pains,隐喻肉体或者精神的炼狱。详细划分,第一表示to examine carefully,比如The professor went through the students’ papers教授已经批完了学生的作业, 第二表示to experience,比如We went through hell while working on this project我们做这个项目没少受苦,第三表示to perform, 比如Who can go through the sonata in 30 minutes?谁能在半个小时之内讲这首奏鸣曲演奏完毕?举个例子,你的朋友正在办理离婚手续,耗费大量人力物力,你感慨万千“It’s such a pain to go through”,表现对你朋友的同情。再比如,你是信任警官,跟随一位senior detective(资深侦探)去调查雨夜连环杀人案。看到你笨手笨脚的样子,侦探冷冷地说 ”I went through a case in two hours at most when I was your age, boy! ”(年轻人,我像你这么大的时候,侦破一个案件最多需要两个小时!)看着他低垂的帽檐,冷酷的棱角,你发觉自己太嫩了,不禁问道: ”But what am I supposed to go through before I can make myself a qualified detective like you? ” (那我究竟需要经历哪些事情,才能真的成为像你这么出色的侦探?)侦探吐出一口雪茄“You watch and catch up, son”你要学会观察,跟紧线索!

Monica: Okay, everybody relax. This is not even a date. It's just two people going out to dinner and not having sex.
it’s just不那么偏重转折和否定,而是重在对内容进行轻描淡写的叙述,为了减低强度,淡化严肃性,也就是我们常说的大事化小,小事化了。所以经常用在给自己解围的情境中。比如,你出门忘了带钥匙,结果你和女朋友只能四处溜达,这让她恼怒不已:”look, John, I can’t believe this is happening again!” 虽然你的确丢三落四,可是这里必须找个台阶下去,所以辩解到:”Okay, honey, just be cool! It’s just a man like me happens to forget something like a key!”(好了,亲爱的,别生气了!不就是像我这样的一个人,碰巧忘了意见诸如钥匙的物件而已!)你的女朋友一脸反讽:”Oh really? So it’s just a girl like me happens to pick up a wrong guy like you, huh?”(哦,是吗?这么说,不过就是象我这样一个女孩,碰巧选错了一个你这样的男朋友,是吧?)你听出与其不对,赶紧一个傻笑:”Yeah, honey, it’s just a sweet pair like us happen to live in a forgetful world like this!”(没错,亲爱的,不过就是像我们这么甜蜜的一对,碰巧生活在这么一个健忘的世界里面,就这么简单!)别忘记干笑两声,以表轻松。
Chandler: Sounds like a date to me.
sound like两个意思,第一是自己不能确定的时候,第二是故作深沉,欲扬先抑。各举一个例子,你的同桌一边听着老师在上面讲关于考试的事情,你一边小声嘀咕:”Sounds like this time it’s going to be a very serious game to play.”(听上去,好像这次还弄得挺严肃的。)你的同桌不解:”what?”你一皱眉头:”I mean the test.”(我是说这次考试)这次,同桌莞尔一笑:”Sounds like you’re getting a bit chicken!”(怎么,听着你好像对考试有点没底!)注意看,你要下班了,看到同事还没有走,于是过去亲切慰问一下:”Are you done? Come on!”(你工作做完了吧?走,我们一块!)可是同事面露踌躇:”Ah, you just go ahead and I’m waiting for the call of the boss.”(这样吧,你先走吧,我还要接一个老板的电话)说完之后,春风扑面。你觉得奇怪:”Sounds like the prelude of a date or something, huh?”(我怎么听着象是个约会的前奏似的?)看着你不怀好意的脸,同事:”You never know!”(这我可说不准了)蕴足少女的羞涩。你吐吐舌头,先溜了吧。其他的情景,辩论之中,对方说:”That argument sounds reasonable.”(那个观点听上去蛮有道理的)聊天之中,你说道薪水问题时咬牙切齿,朋友若有所悟:”Sounds like salary is the big trouble.”(看来,你之所以不喜欢这个工作,是因为薪水的问题)
Time Lapse
Chandler: Alright, so I'm back in high school, I'm standing in the middle of the cafeteria, and I realize I am totally naked.
All: Oh, yeah. Had that dream.
Chandler: Then I look down, and I realize there's a phone... there.
Joey: Instead of...?
Chandler: That's right.
Joey: Never had that dream.
Phoebe: No.
Chandler: All of a sudden, the phone starts to ring. Now I don't know what to do, everybody starts looking at me.
Monica: And they weren't looking at you before?!
Chandler: Finally, I figure I'd better answer it, and it turns out it's my mother, which is very-very weird, because- she never calls me!
Time Lapse, Ross has entered.
Ross: (mortified) Hi.
Ross因为情绪低落故沉默少语,现在说出个“hi",表情极为痛苦,还不如不说。Joey的意思即是“我真想自杀。”他用此话来表达自己的一种情绪。
Ross说Hello的语调垂头丧气得好像It's the end of the world.让人郁闷得不行,所以Joey调侃说This man says" hello", I would kill myself.
I guess this section of conversation is open to various interpretations, as long as it makes you laugh, that's all, don't take it too seriously!----F6英语笔记

Joey: This guy says hello, I wanna kill myself.
I wanna kill myself .美国人说话的一个特点是夸张,当你表示不相信,不满意,不舒服等等,就说这句,比如你听到明天要进行考试,发现提款机提不出钱来,要走十公里才能到目的地,听说女朋友有外遇等等。文眼是kill这个单词,感觉上恶狠狠的,因为是赶尽杀绝的架势,比如,新闻报道中说,The Black Death was a disease that killed millions(黑死病是一种夺取过千百万人生命的疾病),翻译成“杀死“,厨师讨论烹饪技艺得时候说Too much garlic killed the taste of the meat(太多的蒜破坏了肉的味道),表示”破坏“,在候机大厅横竖无事,不如kill a few hours before the flight by sightseeing(在飞行前观光消磨了几个小时),就变成”消磨“之意。可见,只要是消极,消灭,阻止的概念,都可以采用kill ,简单有效。比如,试想我们平常的生活中 ,什么事情让我们身心疲惫呢?Jimmy Breslin(吉米.布雷斯林)的说法是:”The trip to work, and the boredom and nervousness of jobs, kills men!”(上班的往返,工作的乏味和紧张的状态使人筋疲力尽。)
Monica: Are you okay, sweetie?
Ross: I just feel like someone reached down my throat, grabbed my small intestine, pulled it out of my mouth and tied it around my neck... 这段话是不是很熟悉呀?对,《大话西游》里面一开始孙猴子发狠就是这样子讲的哦,不知道是谁抄袭谁,意思不用我解释了吧,这里Ross用来形容妻子Carol是Lesbian并同他离婚后的心情。
feel like 两个意思,一 感觉好像 二 表示to have an inclination or desire for具有…的倾向或欲望
Chandler: Cookie?
美国人为了表示关系亲密,或者为了拉近关系,都会直接称呼first name,甚至还有更亲近的词cookie, honey, sweetie,等等,使用范围包括恋人,家人,好友,不分男女
Monica: (explaining to the others) Carol moved her stuff out today.
stuff指代名词的万能替代品,比如,你看到同事总是巴结上司,你很看不惯,和朋友说:I really hate that kind of stuff.(我对那种做法真的烦透了)假如你作为上级主管,看到一个总是迟到的员工辩解说因为压力太大等等,你于是铁面无私,打断他说:Don’t give me that stuff about being tired.(不要对我说累了之类的话)
Joey: Ohh.
Monica: (to Ross) Let me get you some coffee.
Ross: Thanks.
Phoebe: Ooh! Oh! (She starts to pluck at the air just in front of Ross.)
Ross: No, no don't! Stop cleansing my aura! No, just leave my aura alone, okay?
aura :a distinctive atmosphere surrounding a given source, ex: <the place had an aura of mystery就是围绕在人或物四周的一种气>
当时的场景是Ross进来跟大家诉说他的不幸婚姻,倒了霉运的他周身象是鬼神附身一般。Phoebe 这人第一喜欢帮助人,第二她总是神叨叨的,大家还记得有一集里她看到一只猫,就说是她死去的妈吗?于是Phoebe想帮Ross把霉运赶走,PhD Ross自然是反对封建迷信的,就对Phoebe说,意思是你别烦我了,省省吧。Phoebe做的手势是要把他的霉运驱除。

Phoebe: Fine!  Be murky!
Ross: I'll be fine, alright? Really, everyone. I hope she'll be very happy.
Monica: No you don't.
Ross: No I don't, to hell with her, she left me!
西方文化和基督教义关系密切,这一点体现在英语中,hell表示的总是一些类似的场景,比如War is hell.如果让某人go to hell,那无异于一个诅咒,表示下地狱吧,见鬼去吧。比如你去竞选州长,无端收到恐吓电话,现在你面对千万公众,站在大喇叭前面,义正词严:Someone wanted me to drop out of the campaign but I told him to GO TO HELL!(有人恐吓我让我退出竞选,不过我和他说见鬼去吧)于是振臂一呼,民众沸腾。在日常口语里面,一般都是表示抱怨,比如说某人went through hell on the job(在工作中经历了重大痛苦),这里的hell就表示torment, anguish.再比如,The boss is hell when a job is poorly done.(每当工作做得不好时,那老板简直成了魔鬼),这里就直接用hell去形容一个人可怖的样子,You should give the student hell for cheating.(你应该狠狠地训斥作弊的学生),这里就变成了斥责的意思。更常见的是将hell作为语气加强词,比如How hell can I go?(我怎么能去呢),You did one hell of a job.(你的工作一塌糊涂),He ran like hell to catch the bus.(他疯狂地追赶公共汽车相当于大家学过的on earth,但是来得更加地道。记得从前有部电视剧叫做A Native of Beijing in New York《北京人在纽约》,开头一段很精彩:”If you love him, send him to New York, for it’s heaven; if you hate him, send him to New York, for it’s hell.(如果你爱他,送他到纽约,因为那里是天堂;如果你恨他,送他到纽约,因为那里是地狱。――That’s a hell of a smart saying!(说的太绝了!))”)
Joey: And you never knew she was a lesbian...
Ross: No!! Okay?! Why does everyone keep fixating on that? She didn't know, how should I know?
这句话很实用,意思是为什么你们总是提起那件事呢?因为Joey又提到了Ross妻子Carol是lesbian的事儿,Ross非常恼火,于是冒出这样一句,我们平常生活中也可以用一下。Remember: fixate on sth.
Chandler: Sometimes I wish I was a lesbian... (They all stare at him.) Did I say that out loud?
Wish 单词短小,但用处无穷,表示a desire, longing, or strong inclination for a specific thing,我们讲的许愿,但愿都是它。通常来讲,wish表达的愿望是一种很难企及的目标,所以有点幻想色彩,后面一般会虚拟一下,比如文章里面Chandler表达的是一个不可能的愿望。你打电话过去,是答录机,于是你客气地留言:You didn’t show up at the bar and I waited for hours. I felt so silly of myself. I wish I knew why.(昨晚在酒吧你没来,我等了很久。我觉得自己很傻。我希望知道发生了什么。)-想起来了吗?这是电影You’ve Got Mail网上情缘的对白
Ross: I told mom and dad last night, they seemed to take it pretty well.
take it口语里表示to endure abuse, criticism, or other harsh treatment,比如If you can dish it out, you’ve got to learn to take it.(如果你提出这个问题,你就要去承担所有的结果)。你的roommate每天都听heavy metal(重金属摇滚),你实在忍无可忍,就说:”I just can’t take it anymore!”(我再也受不了了!)这句话用处很大,只要是你不喜欢的,都可以来一句,almost everything,不管是人,是事都可以。记得电影Waterloo Bridge《魂断蓝桥》里面,男主人公最后来找从前的恋人,追问朋友关于她的真相,那位从前也跳芭蕾的朋友一直问他:”Will you take it ?”意思是,如果我告诉你事实真相,你能镇静地应付这一切问题吗?这么说话一定是很严重了,就比如一个病人反复询问医生自己点病情,医生问道:”If I tell you about it, can you take it?”(我可以告诉你,但是你要做好准备),这就表示病情可能很严重了。有句话叫做take it or leave it,表示to accept or reject unconditionally(要么要,要么拒绝),是绝对的是非选择,没有第三条道路可以挑选。文章里面说的take it pretty well,表示听到事情之后并不惊慌,而是很沉着,就比如你说:”The other day I told her about my getting married and she seemed to take it pretty cool.”(我那天和她的说起,我马上要结婚了,她看上去还挺镇定的),言语之中很有点灰溜溜的失落了。
Monica: Oh really, so that hysterical phone call I got from a woman at sobbing 3:00 A.M., "I'll never have grandchildren, I'll never have grandchildren." was what?  A wrong number?
Ross: Sorry.
Joey: Alright Ross, look. You're feeling a lot of pain right now. You're angry. You're hurting. Can I tell you what the answer is?
(Ross gestures his consent.)
Joey: Strip joint! C'mon, you're single! Have some hormones!
"Strip joint"是脱衣舞场的意思,joint=place通常指不那么高雅的地方,Joey意思是Ross现在虽然很受伤,但是正好恢复单身,可以去脱衣舞场去, "have some hormones"直译就是你要有一些男性荷尔蒙呀,翻译过来就是你该去(脱衣舞场)找乐子去。
Ross: I don't want to be single, okay? I just... I just- I just wanna be married again!
(Rachel enters in a wet wedding dress and starts to search the room.)
Chandler: And I just want a million dollars! (He extends his hand hopefully.)
Chandler学着Ross的语气说我就是想有百万美元,并作出夸张手势,仿佛钱会从天而降,这时候只见身着白色婚纱,浑身湿透的Rachel失魂落魄地跑近来,引得人惊讶莫名,每张脸仿佛都在说“天哪,天下掉下个林妹妹“此处为老友记经典镜头
Monica: Rachel?!
Rachel: Oh God Monica hi! Thank God! I just went to your building and you weren't there and then this guy with a big hammer said you might be here and you are, you are!
God这是一个宗教意义的词,中文可翻译为神,造物主,上帝,安拉,真主等。但Rachel在剧中的用法是作为一个感叹词。可能大多数人都会在感到意外,惊恐的时候会喊上一句”My God!” 但是真正虔诚的宗教徒是比较忌讳拿”God, Jesus Christ”等词来表达情绪的,所以非要用来表达一种特定情绪的时候,他们选择说”man, boy, gosh”。类似的还有用shoot代替shit,用Gee, Jeez代替Jesus Christ.与God有关的语气词还有God knows(天晓得),比如说Rachel逃婚了,但她的未婚夫和亲朋好友并不知情,他们在教堂等待着新娘的到来,却迟迟不见Rachel的踪影。终于有人忍无可忍的问了一句“Where the hell is she?“,这是Barry无奈的耸耸肩”God knows!”另外还有Thank God(谢天谢地),Rachel见到Monica的第一句话就是”Thank God”表示一种因困难已过而格外高兴的心情。
Waitress: Can I get you some coffee?
Monica: (pointing at Rachel) De-caff. (to All) Okay, everybody, this is Rachel, another Lincoln High survivor. (to Rachel) This is everybody, this is Chandler, and Phoebe, and Joey, and- you remember my brother Ross?
De-caff是不含咖啡因的咖啡。当时rach进来的时候很激动,mon就让咖啡店的小姐给她一杯这样的咖啡,免得她更激动。
Lincoln High 指Lincoln High School.能活着离开学校当然是surviors了
Rachel: Hi, sure!
Ross: Hi.
(They go to hug but Ross's umbrella opens.  He sits back down defeated again.  A moment of silence follows as Rachel sits and the others expect her to explain.)
Monica: So you wanna tell us now, or are we waiting for four wet bridesmaids?
再过一会儿就会有四个被淋湿的伴娘来找Rachel. Monica 拿这个来开玩笑。
Rachel: Oh God... well, it started about a half hour before the wedding. I was in the room where we were keeping all the presents, and I was looking at this gravy boat. This really gorgeous Lamauge gravy boat. When all of a sudden- (to the waitress that brought her coffee)Sweet 'n' Lo?- I realized that I was more turned on by this gravy boat than by Barry! And then I got really freaked out, and that's when it hit me: how much Barry looks like Mr. Potato Head. Y'know, I mean, I always knew looked familiar, but... Anyway, I just had to get out of there, and I started wondering 'Why am I doing this, and who am I doing this for?'. (to Monica) So anyway I just didn't know where to go, and I know that you and I have kinda drifted apart, but you're the only person I knew who lived here in the city.
gravy boat :An elongated, boat-shaped pitcher used to serve gravy. A gravy boat usually sits on a matching plate, which is used to catch gravy drips. Sometimes the plate is permanently attached to the pitcher. A matching ladle often accompanies a gravy boat. Also called sauce boat.
中文字典上解释为船行卤肉盘,这里说的boat是一种有手柄的,用来盛gravy(浇在菜上调味用的肉汁)的船形盘。    Lamauge gravy boat lamauge应该是牌子或生产地,是法国名牌餐具

Gorgeous用来赞美那些漂亮的东西, 比如说看到一个小宝宝”What a gorgeous baby!”, 男生形容女生漂亮也可以用这个词,比beautiful和pretty还要再高一级
Mr. Potato Head
瑞秋和众人谈到了她逃婚的原因,她说这是因为她突然发现她的未婚夫巴里医生长得活像“薯头先生(Mr.Potato Head)”,这是在美国家喻户晓的卡通人物。如果大家看过《玩具总动员(Toy Story)》,就会在里面发现他和他的夫人“薯头太太(Mrs.Potato Head)”叽叽歪歪,经常批评这、批评那的形象。尽管“薯头先生”很可爱,但卡通毕竟是卡通,如果你在乎未婚夫的容貌,而未婚夫又不幸长得和“薯头先生”一副嘴脸,你最好还是和瑞秋一样赶紧逃婚。:-)
turn on 在美国如果不是指打开什么东西时,一般都指引起人的性兴奋。他们讲这些很随便,所以经常出现。这里Rachel发现自己爱(turned on)结婚贺礼胜过爱自己的未婚夫,所以逃婚
freak out 很常用,就是吓坏了
sweet'n'low 低脂糖,最有名的代糖品牌,英文中直接表示代糖
Hit 在文章中的用法既简单又形象,表示某人的脑子突然被一个事实或想法击中,它就相当于前面的realize。这是一个老美很喜欢用,但中国人不太会用的动词,通常指开始做某事。例如摇滚乐团的主唱常会看看其他吉他手,键盘手,贝斯手准备好了没有,如果大家都准备好了的话,他就会大喊一声: “Let’s hit it.”=Let’s go. Let’s start.。再如去洗澡,大多数人说take a shower,如果你说hit a shower和老美一样,那种层次立马就不一样。类似的用法还有像睡觉hit the bed,上路说hit the road.去电影院hit the movie theater,去酒吧hit the bar,甚至去学校hit the school,去纽约城hit New York city,主打歌hit song打入排行榜hit the billboard,还可以表示遇见某样东西,如hit the traffic light, hit the stop sign。再介绍两个与之相关的短语:hit on sb. &hit it off. Hit on是当作搭讪来解释。电视剧里常有一个男的跑去跟一个陌生女孩多吗说了两句话,那个女生就说:”Are you hitting on me? ”(你现在是在跟我搭讪吗?)而hit it off表示合得来,比如说He was introduced to a party woman and they seem to hit it off immediately.(给他介绍一位漂亮女子后,他们似乎就一见钟情)。

Monica: Who wasn't invited to the wedding.
Monica说的是接Rachel最后一句的一个定语从句,所以没有主句,意思是:是啊是啊,我是你在这城唯一认识的人,却没有被邀请去参加婚礼。
Rachel: Ooh, I was kinda hoping that wouldn't be an issue... Scene: Monica's Apartment, everyone is there and watching a Spanish Soap on TV and are trying to figure out what is going on.
这句的意思是“我希望这件事不是个问题”, hoping 就是希望, kinda是kind of的缩写, 就是有一点的意思, 在很多话比如你问的这一举里面是添加一点谦虚语气的说法,有点那种“给我留些面子”的意思, 要多于到就会理解,另外,比如简单的意思:he's kinds cool. 他有点酷
Monica: Now I'm guessing that he bought her the big pipe organ, and she's really not happy about it.
pipe organ 管风琴
Chandler: (imitating the characters) Tuna or egg salad?  Decide!
Ross: (in a deep voice) I'll have whatever Christine is having.
Rachel: (on phone) Daddy, I just... I can't marry him! I'm sorry. I just don't love him. Well, it matters to me!
matter这个词在口语中出现的频率极高。做动词时,意思是“有重要性“,to be of importance.文中it matters to me就是”这对我是重要的”。比如你和女友一起出去下雨了,你把唯一的一把伞让给女友,其实就是想受女友的邀请在一把伞下。以后回忆时,妻子回味起来,说他别有用心,虚情假意,他可以这样表白:”It doesn’t matter if it rained or not. What matters is I love you.”名词的matter和中文的”问题”相对应
(The scene on TV has changed to show two women, one is holding her hair.)
Phoebe:  If I let go of my hair, my head will fall off. Chandler: (re TV) Ooh, she should not be wearing those pants. Joey: I say push her down the stairs. Phoebe, Ross, Chandler, and Joey:  Push her down the stairs! Push her down the stairs! Push her down the stairs!
I say : 这个短语的语法功能相当于一个语气词了。只是用来提醒别人自己将要发言,并没有什么具体的含义。比如I say, do you have the time.(嗨,你有时间吗?)不过语气上客气一点。另外经常与say连用的口语习语是: You can say that again! 这句话用于表达“完全同意”,托福常考习语。
(She is pushed down the stairs and everyone cheers.)
Rachel: C'mon Daddy, listen to me! It's like, it's like, all of my life, everyone has always told me, 'You're a shoe! You're a shoe, you're a shoe, you're a shoe!'. And today I just stopped and I said, 'What if I don't wanna be a shoe? What if I wanna be a- a purse, y'know? Or a- or a hat! No, I'm not saying I want you to buy me a hat, I'm saying I am a ha- It's a metaphor, Daddy!
shoe 就是鞋子的意思。下文 "it's a metaphor",是个比喻!Rachel喜欢购物嘛,所以把服饰比喻成人的理想,别人告诉rachel要成为一只鞋,rachel自己想做个"purse"
以鞋喻人生,职业、前途或者某一类人。老爸老妈希望Rachel成为某一种人,Rachel自己却另有想法。只不过Rachel想不到用什么比喻,所以用自己最喜欢的服饰作比喻。Rachel喜欢逛街购物嘛.Shoe和Purse都是ladies的最爱
shoe是指要成双配对的生活,因为shoes是2只一起的,一只shoe永远需要另外一只 purse就是独立的,自己可以生存的, 不需要配对的----F6英语笔记,但我觉得Rachel打比喻时没想这么多

Ross: You can see where he'd have trouble.
这句话完整的应该是You can see where he'd have trouble  in catching your metaphor.
Apparently, we can tell that Rach's dad made fun of Rach's metaphor by saying "buy her a hat", and pretended that he didn't know what Rach was talking about. But what's even worse is that Rach didn't get her dad's little trick either.So she yelled at the phone that "It's a metaphor,Daddy!". Once she realized how rude and unladily she was just now, her eyes met with Ross's, which made Ross rather embarrassing. So he ended up saying that "You can see where he'd have trouble." That means "you can see misunderstanding your metaphor is where he'd have trouble to communicate with you smoothly.

Rachel: Look Daddy, it's my life. Well maybe I'll just stay here with Monica.
Look是个功能复杂的动词,但在这儿只是充当一个语气词,一般用来题型别人注意,自己下面要讲的内容比较重要了。
Monica: Well, I guess we've established who's staying here with Monica...
Monica has no idea why Rachel said that. But she can't just abandon Rach at this critical time, so when her friends turned to her for a verification, she can't think of nothing to say except that:
"Well, it seems to Rachel that I have already agreed on the whole moving in thing( that is established an agreement on her moving in), although I have nothing to do with it!!(Don't look at me in this weird way, guys!)"

Rachel: Well, maybe that's my decision. Well, maybe I don't need your money. Wait!! Wait, I said maybe!!
Time Lapse, Rachel is breating into a paper bag.
Monica: Just breathe, breathe.. that's it. Just try to think of nice calm things... Phoebe: (sings) Raindrops on roses and rabbits and kittens, (Rachel and Monica turn to look at her.) bluebells and sleighbells and- something with mittens... La la la la...something and noodles with string.  These are a few...
源自电影音乐之声The Sound of Music但是Phoebe唱的零零落落,不会的就用拉拉拉混过去
Rachel: I'm all better now.
Phoebe: (grins and walks to the kitchen and says to Chandler and Joey.) I helped!
Monica: Okay, look, this is probably for the best, y'know? Independence. Taking control of your life.  The whole, 'hat' thing.
Joey: (comforting her) And hey, you need anything, you can always come to Joey. Me and Chandler live across the hall. And he's away a lot.
Monica: Joey, stop hitting on her! It's her wedding day!
号称情圣的Joey也跑来向Rachel表示:"嗨,如果你需要什么尽管来找我好了。" 实际上Joey和另一个"老友" Chandler就住在Monica的对门:Me and Chandler live right across the hall. 按语法讲,Joey应该说 Chandler and I…但在口语中用me也是可以接受的,而且Joey为了突出自己而把Me放到了Chandler前面,然后还很暧昧地加了一句"他经常不在家 (And he’s away lot)"。
Monica很了解Joey, 教训他说:"你别挑逗她了 (stop hitting on her),今天可是她的结婚之日。" 在上一篇当中我们也讲到过hit这个字,它可以用来表示realize, 而这里的hit on someone 的意思是"和某人调情,或挑逗某人", 相当于flirt with someone, 其它类似的表达法还有:to make a pass at someone和 to come on to someone, 例如:
"Did you see the way Brian came on to Sally at the office party?"
"Oh, Brian has made a pass at every girl in the office."
"I know, but he hit on Sally particularly hard."
到底是情圣啊! 最后Joey脸不红心不跳地回了一句:"怎么啦?难道还有什么明文规定不成?(What, like there's a rule or something?)。"

Hit on sb. /come on to sb./pass at sb./crash on sb.与flirt with sb.是有区别的。前者指的是对某人有意思,有好感(情感上或“生理”上),不一定(只是不一定要付诸行动,即“被某人所吸引”,而后者则应包括付诸行动,比如我们常说的“上前搭讪,引人注意,挑逗,调情”。当然具体到实际生活中两种情况有可能交叉,比如上文中翻译的“你别挑逗她了 ”就包含了这两种意思,非常准确。
另外What, like there's a rule or something?似乎该理解为:难道有什么规定(在这种情况下禁止我追求她)么?
have the hots for someone
be stuck on someone
have one's cap set for someone
fall for

Joey: What, like there's a rule or something?
(The door buzzer sounds and Chandler gets it.)
Chandler: Please don't do that again, it's a horrible sound.
Paul: (over the intercom) It's, uh, it's Paul.
Monica: Oh God, is it 6:30?  Buzz him in!
Buzz him in   buzz就是按楼洞防盗门时发出的声音,这样用法又简单,又形象
Joey: Who's Paul?
Ross: Paul the Wine Guy, Paul?
Monica: Maybe. Joey: Wait. Your 'not a real date' tonight is with Paul the Wine Guy?
Ross: He finally asked you out?
Monica: Yes!
Chandler: Ooh, this is a Dear Diary moment.
西方人写日记一开头总爱写Dear Diary,......
Dear Diary moment也许是讲这个时刻不同寻常,有重要意义,值得写进日记的意思吧
这是一个值得纪念的日子/时刻”的意思。

Monica: Rach, wait, I can cancel...
Rachel: Please, no, go, that'd be fine!
Monica: (to Ross) Are, are you okay? I mean, do you want me to stay?
Ross: (choked voice) That'd be good...
Monica: (horrified) Really?
Ross: (normal voice) No, go on! It's Paul the Wine Guy!
Phoebe: What does that mean?   Does he sell it, drink it, or just complain a lot? (Chandler doesn't know.)
(There's a knock on the door and it's Paul.)
Monica: Hi, come in! Paul, this is.. (They are all lined up next to the door.)... everybody, everybody, this is Paul.
All: Hey! Paul! Hi! The Wine Guy! Hey!
Chandler: I'm sorry, I didn't catch your name. Paul, was it?
catch If you catch something someone has said, you manage to hear it.
Monica: Okay, umm-umm, I'll just--I'll be right back, I just gotta go ah, go ah...
Ross: A wandering?
Monica: Change!  Okay, sit down. (Shows Paul in) Two seconds.
Change 换衣服,TOEFL普林斯顿样题1第22题
I’m taking my roommate out for her birthday tonight, you know, to that fancy new restaurant.
You can’t go like that, You’d better change.这里的Change就是换衣服的意思。

Phoebe: Ooh, I just pulled out four eyelashes. That can't be good.
(Monica goes to change.)
Joey:  Hey, Paul!
Paul: Yeah?
Joey: Here's a little tip, she really likes it when you rub her neck in the same spot over and over and over again until it starts to get a little red.
我给你一点小建议, 她真得喜欢有人在她的脖子上面一个地方反复反复再反复的擦直到有一点红。tip是建议, 还可以用suggestion, hint等, suggestion正式, hint跟tip都比较随意, tip 还有小费的意思, 名词和动词tip me some tip就是说我回答你的问题你可以给我一点消费, tip最基本的意思就是什么东西的尖儿了, finger tip指尖
Monica: (yelling from the bedroom) Shut up, Joey!
shut up就是住嘴的意思,但不是不友好。记得公主日记么?princess mia和她的Queen grandma说这词的时候来自欧洲的grandma惊呆了,这时候有人解释在美国shut up并不是不礼貌。仅仅是be quiet.
Ross: So Rachel, what're you, uh... what're you up to tonight?
Rachel: Well, I was kinda supposed to be headed for Aruba on my honeymoon, so nothing!
Ross: Right, you're not even getting your honeymoon, God.. No, no, although, Aruba, this time of year... talk about your- (thinks) -big lizards... Anyway, if you don't feel like being alone tonight, Joey and Chandler are coming over to help me put together my new furniture.
Rachel说度蜜月到Aruba,为什么Ross提到 Big lizards
当Rach提到本想去Aruba时,Ross原本想说Rach不能去渡蜜月是太遗憾了,但突然意识到不应该说这些,急忙改口找些其他话题而提到Big lizards,并不是Ross对生物感兴趣。我认为到底Aruba有没有Big lizards无关紧要,只是Ross转换话题的一个借口而已

Chandler: (deadpan) Yes, and we're very excited about it.
Rachel: Well actually thanks, but I think I'm just gonna hang out here tonight.  It's been kinda a long day.
hang out here,呆在这
朋友之间相处,象FRIENDS他们一起喝咖啡,在MON家聊天之类的,都是hang out
像这样的词组就是所谓的,外国人不认为是俚语的俚语,它们非常通俗,老外每天都在说,而我们在字典上却查不到确切含义,因此,看FRIENDS是很有帮助的。
it' been kinda a long day,完成时态,因为RACH又逃婚,有被老爸骂,这一天过得很痛苦,所以也就很漫长。

Ross: Okay, sure.
Joey: Hey Pheebs, you wanna help?
Phoebe: Oh, I wish I could, but I don't want to.
如果你想礼貌的拒绝别人的邀请,就可以用I wish I could, but+借口(如Ihave to study),可千万别学Phoebe这么诚实的说I don't want to
Commercial Break
Scene: The Subway, Phoebe is singing for change.
Phoebe: (singing) Love is sweet as summer showers, love is a wondrous work of art, but your love oh your love, your love...is like a giant pigeon...crapping on my heart.  La-la-la-la-la- (some guy gives her some change and to that guy) Thank you. (sings) La-la-la-la...ohhh!
这里是Phoebe第一次展示她的歌喉,我们可以感觉到她的特有的才华,不过才华要加上双引号的哦。
Scene: Ross's Apartment, the guys are there assembling furniture.
Ross: (squatting and reading the instructions) I'm supposed to attach a brackety thing to the side things, using a bunch of these little worm guys. I have no brackety thing, I see no whim guys whatsoever and- I cannot feel my legs.
brackety thing,whim guy,worm guy
bracket thing是组装家具的支架之类的东西
whim是一种类似起锚器或绞盘的东西,用于把比较重的物品提起来
worm guy是指代螺丝钉,因为螺丝钉上的纹路与worm很相似

(Joey and Chandler are finishing assembling the bookcase.)
Joey: I'm thinking we've got a bookcase here.
Chandler: It's a beautiful thing.
Joey: (picking up a leftover part) What's this?
Chandler: I would have to say that is an 'L'-shaped bracket.
Joey: Which goes where?
Chandler: I have no idea.
(Joey checks that Ross is not looking and dumps it in a plant.)
Joey: Done with the bookcase!
Chandler: All finished!
Ross: (clutching a beer can and sniffing) This was Carol's favorite beer. She always drank it out of the can, I should have known.
out of是说从易拉罐里喝吧,没什么特别的
Joey: Hey-hey-hey-hey, if you're gonna start with that stuff we're outta here.
Chandler: Yes, please don't spoil all this fun.
Joey: Ross, let me ask you a question. She got the furniture, the stereo, the good TV- what did you get?
Ross: You guys.
Chandler: Oh, God.
Ross的回答肯定会引起另两位老友的不满和得意
Joey: You got screwed.
Chandler: Oh my God!
Scene: A Restaurant, Monica and Paul are eating.
Monica: Oh my God!
Paul: I know, I know, I'm such an idiot. I guess I should have caught on when she started going to the dentist four and five times a week. I mean, how clean can teeth get?
Monica: My brother's going through that right now, he's such a mess. How did you get through it?
He’s a mess.他很惨
Paul: Well, you might try accidentally breaking something valuable of hers, say her-
Monica: -leg?
Paul: (laughing) That's one way! Me, I- I went for the watch.
Monica: You actually broke her watch?  Wow!  The worst thing I ever did was, I-I shredded by boyfriend's favorite bath towel.
Paul: Ooh, steer clear of you.
Pual:Ooh,steer chear of you.那可不能惹你呀
Monica: That's right.
Scene: Monica's Apartment, Rachel is talking on the phone and pacing.
Rachel: Barry, I'm sorry... I am so sorry... I know you probably think that this is all about what I said the other day about you making love with your socks on, but it isn't... it isn't, it's about me, and I ju- (She stops talking and dials the phone.) Hi, machine cut me off again... anyway...look, look, I know that some girl is going to be incredibly lucky to become Mrs. Barry Finkel, but it isn't me, it's not me.  And not that I have any idea who me is right now, but you just have to give me a chance too... (The maching cuts her off again and she redials.)
machine指的是answer machine,cut off 指故意断线
Scene: Ross's Apartment; Ross is pacing while Joey and Chandler are working on some more furniture.
Ross: I'm divorced!  I'm only 26 and I'm divorced!
Joey: Shut up!
Chandler: You must stop! (Chandler hits what he is working on with a hammer and it collapses.)
Ross: That only took me an hour.
此处only反到是强调多,托福听力中曾经出现过Only every spare minute!("只不过"每一分钟的自由时间而已。)
Chandler: Look, Ross, you gotta understand, between us we haven't had a relationship that has lasted longer than a Mento.   You, however have had the love of a woman for four years.   Four years of closeness and sharing at the end of which she ripped your heart out, and that is why we don't do it!  I don't think that was my point!
Mento是曼妥思糖(Mentos)的简称。在钱德勒和乔伊安慰离婚的罗斯时,钱德勒说他和乔伊与女孩的关系从来没有“长过嚼一颗曼妥思糖的时间(lasted longer than a Mento)”;以劝慰罗斯放开一点。
Ross: You know what the scariest part is? What if there's only one woman for everybody, y'know? I mean what if you get one woman- and that's it? Unfortunately in my case, there was only one woman- for her...
们知道最可怕的是什么?要是每个人只能有一个女人?我是说,要是你找到一个女人(做另一半)-然后就不能在找了?不幸的是,我这件事里,那个一个女人是给“她”准备的..
Joey: What are you talking about? 'One woman'? That's like saying there's only one flavor of ice cream for you. Lemme tell you something, Ross. There's lots of flavors out there. There's Rocky Road, and Cookie Dough, and Bing! Cherry Vanilla. You could get 'em with Jimmies, or nuts, or whipped cream! This is the best thing that ever happened to you! You got married, you were, like, what, eight? Welcome back to the world! Grab a spoon!
There's Rocky Road, and Cookie Dough, and Bing! Cherry Vanilla. You could get 'em with Jimmies, or nuts, or whipped cream!
jimmies是一种经常撒在ice cream上的巧克力味的小糖果棒。bing就是一个拟声词。

Ross: I honestly don't know if I'm hungry or horny.
用一堆冰淇淋表示女人的类型,H还押运呢
Chandler: Stay out of my freezer! Scene: A Restaurant, Monica and Paul are still eating.
Paul: Ever since she walked out on me, I, uh...
walked out on对家人的遗弃的意思
Monica: What?..... What, you wanna spell it out with noodles?
Paul: No, it's, it's more of a fifth date kinda revelation.
Monica: Oh, so there is gonna be a fifth date?
Paul: Isn't there?
Monica: Yeah... yeah, I think there is. -What were you gonna say?
Paul: Well, ever-ev-... ever since she left me, um, I haven't been able to, uh, perform. (Monica takes a sip of her drink.) ...Sexually.
Monica: (spitting out her drink in shock) Oh God, oh God, I am sorry... I am so sorry...
Paul: It's okay...
Monica: I know being spit on is probably not what you need right now. Um... how long?
spit on 吐在身上
Paul: Two years.
Monica: Wow! I'm-I'm-I'm glad you smashed her watch!
smash 砸烂
Paul: So you still think you, um... might want that fifth date?
Monica: (pause)...Yeah. Yeah, I do.
Scene: Monica's Apartment, Rachel is watching Joanne Loves Chaci.
Priest on TV: We are gathered here today to join Joanne Louise Cunningham and Charles, Chachi-Chachi-Chachi, Arcola in the bound of holy matrimony.
in bound of holy matrimony,就是结为夫妇,在神圣婚姻的约束,范围内
Rachel: Oh...see... but Joanne loved Chachi! That's the difference!
What Rachel said is funny is because Rachel here was sarcastic about her running away from altar. She was deeply moved by the true love between Joanne and Chachi which leads to a successful holy matrimony, while she and Barry had almost everything but love and that results in her disappointment in their matrimony. So she felt right to have escaped from a doomed marriage with a person she would never love.
Scene: Ross's Apartment, they're all sitting around and talking.
Ross: (scornful) Grab a spoon. Do you know how long it's been since I've grabbed a spoon? Do the words 'Billy, don't be a hero' mean anything to you?
Billy,Don't Be A Hero是一首70年代的老歌,描写的是越战中,一个女孩希望自己的fiance Billy平安归来,歌中有一句词说:“比利,不要成为一个英雄(Billy,don't be a hero)。回来,让我成为你的妻子。但最后Billy还是在战争中失去了他年青的生命.’在剧中,乔伊劝告罗斯忘记前妻卡罗尔,再找新的女友,罗斯非常不满,他反问乔伊:那“比利,不要成为一个英雄”这个故事对你有何启发?这里罗斯把找新女友比喻成上战场。
Joey: Great story!  But, I uh, I gotta go, I got a date with Andrea--Angela--Andrea...  Oh man, (looks to Chandler)
Chandler: Angela's the screamer, Andrea has cats.
第1集就可以看出Joey是个情圣了
Joey: Right.  Thanks.  It's June.  I'm outta here. (Exits.)
Ross: Y'know, here's the thing. Even if I could get it together enough to- to ask a woman out,... who am I gonna ask? (He gazes out of the window.)
Cut to Rachel staring out of her window.
Commercial Break
Scene: Monica's Apartment, Rachel is making coffee for Joey and Chandler.
Rachel: Isn't this amazing? I mean, I have never made coffee before in my entire life.
Chandler: That is amazing.
Joey: Congratulations.
Rachel: Y'know, I figure if I can make coffee, there isn't anything I can't do.
Chandler: If can invade Poland, there isn't anything I can't do.
Rachel previously said if she could make coffee on her own, there wasn't anything she couldn't do.
Chandler is a person of sarcasm, he just quoted what Rachel said to be ironic.
Moreover, Hitler invaded Poland with the intent of conquering the whole world. The metaphor used here makes the line much funnier.

Joey: Listen, while you're on a roll, if you feel like you gotta make like a Western omelet or something... (Joey and Chandler taste the coffee, grimace, and pour it into a plant pot.) Although actually I'm really not that hungry...
on a roll: undergoing or experiencing sustained, even increasing good fortune or success (手风较顺)
另外这个western omelet(西式煎蛋)很棒,是用火腿片、切碎的青椒、洋葱片撒在摊开的蛋上,用平底锅放在小火上烤出来的,我还喜欢在蛋里撒些cheese丝儿,哈哈,不能说了,我开始滴口水了。

Monica: (entering, to herself) Oh good, Lenny and Squigy are here.
All: Morning. Good morning.
Paul: (entering from Monica's room) Morning.
Joey: Morning, Paul.
Rachel: Hello, Paul.
Chandler: Hi, Paul, is it?
(Monica and Paul walk to the door and talk in a low voice so the others can't hear.  The others move Monica's table closer to the door so that they can.)
Paul: Thank you!  Thank you so much!
Monica: Stop!
Paul: No, I'm telling you last night was like umm, all my birthdays, both graduations, plus the barn raising scene in Witness.
Barn raising scene in Witness
哈里森,福特主演的《目击者(Witness)》一片中,被迫杀的警察布克为了逃脱敌人而被迫躲在农村,宁静的乡村生活中大家合力盖谷仓的场景是电影中层现快乐生活的精彩片断。在《老友记》剧中,刚和莫尼卡共度良宵的保罗为了形容他的快感,说和莫尼卡做爱要超过“所有生日、两次毕业典礼再加上《目击者》电影里合力盖起谷仓那种快乐”。

Monica: We'll talk later.
Paul: Yeah. (They kiss) Thank you. (Exits)
Joey: That wasn't a real date?! What the hell do you do on a real date?
Monica: Shut up, and put my table back.
All: Okayyy! (They do so.)
Chandler: All right, kids, I gotta get to work. If I don't input those numbers,... it doesn't make much of a difference...
Rachel: So, like, you guys all have jobs?
Monica: Yeah, we all have jobs. See, that's how we buy stuff.
Joey: Yeah, I'm an actor.
Rachel: Wow! Would I have seen you in anything?
Joey: I doubt it. Mostly regional work.
regional work 他指范围比较小的表演,也不会上电视什么的
Monica: Oh wait, wait, unless you happened to catch the Reruns' production of Pinocchio, at the little theater in the park.
Pinocchio,Geppetto
   这就是大家耳熟能详的木偶皮诺曹和他的制造者、老木匠葛佩托。剧中,这是乔伊曾经出演过的剧目。

Joey: Look, it was a job all right?
Chandler: 'Look, Gippetto, I'm a real live boy.'
Joey: I will not take this abuse. (Walks to the door and opens it to leave.)
I will not take this abuse.我不能容忍你这样羞辱我
Chandler: You're right, I'm sorry. (Burst into song and dances out of the door.) "Once I was a wooden boy, a little wooden boy..."
Joey: You should both know, that he's a dead man.  Oh, Chandler? (Starts after Chandler.)
Monica: So how you doing today? Did you sleep okay? Talk to Barry? I can't stop smiling.
Rachel: I can see that. You look like you slept with a hanger in your mouth.
因为monica笑个不停,和不上嘴,rachel就说她好像嘴里有一个衣架把嘴撑住了, hanger是衣架
Monica: I know, he's just so, so... Do you remember you and Tony DeMarco?
Rachel: Oh, yeah.
Monica: Well, it's like that. With feelings.
Rachel: Oh wow. Are you in trouble.
Monica: Big time!
Rachel: Want a wedding dress?   Hardly used.
Monica: I think we are getting a little ahead of selves here. Okay. Okay. I am just going to get up, go to work and not think about him all day. Or else I'm just gonna get up and go to work.
I think we are getting a little ahead of selves here我想我们现在讨论这个(婚纱的问题)有点太早了
Rachel: Oh, look, wish me luck!
Monica: What for?
Rachel: I'm gonna go get one of those (Thinks) job things.
(Monica exits.)
作者: 指向大海    时间: 2005-4-21 22:44:11

Scene: Iridium, Monica is working as Frannie enters.
Frannie: Hey, Monica!
Monica: Hey Frannie, welcome back! How was Florida?
Frannie: You had sex, didn't you?
Monica: How do you do that?
Frannie: Oh, I hate you, I'm pushing my Aunt Roz through Parrot Jungle and you're having sex!  So? Who?
I'm pushing my Aunt Roz through Parrot Jungle
就是字面上的意思,上文不是说Frannie刚去了Florida吗,可以理解为“你真讨厌,当我死命的把Aunt Roz 推出鹦鹉丛林的时候,你却在和别人having sex!”

Monica: You know Paul?
Frannie: Paul the Wine Guy? Oh yeah, I know Paul.
Monica: You mean you know Paul like I know Paul?
Frannie: Are you kidding? I take credit for Paul. Y'know before me, there was no snap in his turtle for two years.
I take credit for Paul. 我给Paul打保票
The "snap in his turtle" refers to sexual performance, it's kind of a "clean" way of saying a vulgar idea (also known as a euphemism). A man who has no snap in his turtle is impotent; or, unable to have an erection.
I do have an idea on how it was created. "Snap," of course, has many meanings, but most of them have to do with making a quick, sudden movement (or sound), often of a closing or biting nature. In North America, there is an animal known as a "snapping turtle," which is a type of turtle that is known to bite (or "snap") humans and other animals. From what I have heard, if one of those things bites you, it hurts a lot. Now, if one of these turtles can't snap, then there's not so much to fear--if they can't bite you, they can't hurt you. A snapping turtle with no (abilty to) snap, then, is powerless, and from there the slang was created. The word "impotent," aside from its sexual definition, also means "without power."
In the case of "Friends," they decided to use the word "turtle" in this way, and so a turtle without "snap" is understood by Franny and Monica to mean a man without (sexual) power or capability.

Scene: Central Perk, everyone but Rachel is there.
Joey: (sitting on the arm of the couch)Of course it was a line!
line: 谎言。老美最讨厌的就是liar。

line有“台词”的意思,在加上这句话是joey说的,他是个演员,所以我认为这里的line是台词的意思,而不是谎言。
@_@,谢谢细心的ttjzh。I am with you there!
Friends的编剧文字功底醇厚,用词也常常叫人拍案叫绝。这里的line就是一例。不仅复合joey的“actor”身份,词本身用在这里也是恰到好处。
Line一词也可作为俚语解释,字意为:“one's usual way of talking, esp when being persuasive or self-aggrandizing”,这不正是"the wine guy" Paul的狐狸真面目(as ross said, to get women to go to bed by acting patheticly)?
lavanew的回答:
关于of course it's a line 的补充
A line is a phrase tend to say to several people. It's a phrase designed to get what they want. Sometimes people have a line they use to get girls and it's called a "pick-up line." people also have lines they might use if they are businessmen and want you to buy something. it's not always a lie but it's almost always some exaggeration.
sudan1974 的回答:
About LINE
今天读Erich Segal的小说Man, Woman and Child外研社’88年版时,在119页遇到这个词在相同情形下的用法。
In a restaurant
Gavin: … And I hope you’ll accept my invitation for nightcap, without any superfluous qualms.
Sheila: No, really, I can’t. My friends are expecting me.
Gavin: The Hotel is midway between there and here.
His Hotel. What a line! Did he ever actually succeed with it? Of course he did. …… (Sheila)
注释为:What a line! 手法真不高明!line指为达到某种目的而采取的手段或花言巧语。 可以参考。---------F6英语笔记中大家的讨论,可以看出专家级的人物讨论的就是深入,我看到这都没想这么多

Monica: Why?! Why? Why, why would anybody do something like that?
Ross: I assume we're looking for an answer more sophisticated than 'to get you into bed'.
Monica: I hate men!  I hate men!
Phoebe: Oh no, don't hate, you don't want to put that out into the universe.
Monica: Is it me? Is it like I have some sort of beacon that only dogs and men with severe emotional problems can hear?
beacon 信号
Phoebe: All right, c'mere, gimme your feet. (She starts massaging them.)
Monica: I just thought he was nice, y'know?
Joey: (bursts out laughing again) I can't believe you didn't know it was a line!
(Monica pushes him off of the sofa as Rachel enters with a shopping bag.)
Rachel: Guess what?
Ross: You got a job?
Rachel: Are you kidding? I'm trained for nothing! I was laughed out of twelve interviews today.
Chandler: And yet you're surprisingly upbeat.
upbeat =cheerful and full of hope
Rachel: You would be too if you found John and David boots on sale, fifty percent off!
Chandler: Oh, how well you know me...
Rachel: They're my new 'I don't need a job, I don't need my parents, I've got great boots' boots!
Monica: How'd you pay for them?
Rachel: Uh, credit card.
Monica: And who pays for that?
Rachel: Um... my... father.
Scene: Monica and Rachel's, everyone is sitting around the kitchen table.   Rachel's credit cards are spread out on the table along with a pair of scissors.
Rachel: Oh God, come on you guys, is this really necessary?  I mean, I can stop charging anytime I want.
Monica: C'mon, you can't live off your parents your whole life.
live off依赖别人的钱物生活
Rachel: I know that. That's why I was getting married.
Phoebe: Give her a break, it's hard being on your own for the first time.
Rachel: Thank you.
Phoebe: You're welcome. I remember when I first came to this city. I was fourteen. My mom had just killed herself and my step-dad was back in prison, and I got here, and I didn't know anybody. And I ended up living with this albino guy who was, like, cleaning windshields outside port authority, and then he killed himself, and then I found aromatherapy. So believe me, I know exactly how you feel.
(Pause)
Ross: The word you're looking for is 'Anyway'...
Monica: All right, you ready?
Rachel: No.  No, no, I'm not ready!  How can I be ready?  "Hey, Rach!  You ready to jump out the airplane without your parachute?"  Come on, I can't do this!
Monica: You can, I know you can!
Rachel: I don't think so.
Ross: Come on, you made coffee!   You can do anything! (Chandler slowly tries to hide the now dead plant from that morning when he and Joey poured their coffee into it.)
Ross: C'mon, cut. Cut, cut, cut,...
All: Cut, cut, cut, cut, cut, cut, cut... (She cuts one of them and they cheer.)
Rachel: Y'know what?  I think we can just leave it at that.  It's kinda like a symbolic gesture...
Monica:  Rachel!  That was a library card!
All: Cut, cut, cut, cut, cut, cut, cut..
Chandler: (as Rachel is cutting up her cards) Y'know, if you listen closely, you can hear a thousand retailers scream.
(She finishes cutting them up and they all cheer.)
Monica: Welcome to the real world! It sucks. You're gonna love it!
suck 这个词原来是“吸,吮吸,吸食”的意思,但今天流行的意思是和他的本已风马牛不相及。凡是一个人对现状不满,或是抱怨一个人,一件事都可以用该词表示。并同时含有“真坏,真遭,真不幸,真恶心,真可恶,真愚蠢”
Time Lapse, Rachel and Ross are watching a TV channel finishes it's broadcast day by playing the national anthem.
Monica: Well, that's it (To Ross) You gonna crash out the couch?
crash out非常劳累或醉酒而睡
Ross: No. No, I gotta go home sometime.
Monica: You be okay?
Ross: Yeah.
Rachel: Hey Mon, look what I just found on the floor. (Monica smiles.) What?
Monica: That's Paul's watch. You just put it back where you found it. Oh boy. Alright. Goodnight, everybody.
Ross and Rachel: Goodnight.
(Monica stomps on Paul's watch and goes into her room.)
Ross: Mmm. (They both reach for the last cookie) Oh, no-
Rachel: Sorry-
Ross: No no no, go-
Rachel: No, you have it, really, I don't want it-
Ross: Split it?
平分吃?
Rachel: Okay.
Ross: Okay. (They split it.) You know you probably didn't know this, but back in high school, I had a, um, major crush on you.
老外说喜欢一个人经常用的就是have a crush on sb.这里Ross用了major可见喜欢程度不小,可不,两人的10年的恋情从这里就开始了
Rachel: I knew.
Ross自然吃惊不小,但是女孩子的细心怎么会不了解当时Ross的暗恋呢?
Ross: You did! Oh.... I always figured you just thought I was Monica's geeky older brother.
Rachel: I did.
Ross: Oh. Listen, do you think- and try not to let my intense vulnerability become any kind of a factor here- but do you think it would be okay if I asked you out? Sometime? Maybe?
try not to let my intense vulnerability become any kind of a factor here不要考虑会伤害到我
Rachel: Yeah, maybe...
Ross: Okay... okay, maybe I will...
Rachel: Goodnight.
Ross: Goodnight.
(Rachel goes into her room and Monica enters the living room as Ross is leaving.)
Monica: See ya.... Waitwait, what's with you?
Ross: I just grabbed a spoon. (Ross exits and Monica has no idea what that means.)
Ross:I just grabbed a spoon.因为joey把女人比喻成冰激凌嘛,他让ross拿起勺子去尝冰激淋,就是比喻他去找新目标了
Closing Credits
Scene: Central Perk, everyone is there.
Joey: I can't believe what I'm hearing here.
Phoebe: (sings) I can't believe what I'm hearing here...
Monica: What? I-I said you had a-
Phoebe: (sings) What I said you had...
Monica: (to Phoebe) Would you stop?
Phoebe: Oh, was I doing it again?
All: Yes!
Monica: I said that you had a nice butt, it's just not a great butt.
Joey: Oh, you wouldn't know a great butt if it came up and bit ya.
Ross: There's an image.
There's an image。 butt是屁股,ross讽刺joey,说他比喻的形象
Rachel: (walks up with a pot of coffee) Would anybody like more coffee?
Chandler: Did you make it, or are you just serving it?
Rachel: I'm just serving it.
All: Yeah. Yeah, I'll have a cup of coffee.
Chandler: Kids, new dream... I'm in Las Vegas. (Rachel sits down to hear Chandler's dream.)
I'm in Las Vegas... I'm Liza Minelli-
Liza Minelli--- A famous singer used to be a duet-mate of Pavarotti.钱德勒再次提到他做的梦,他梦见自己是“丽莎•米内利(Liza Minelli)”。丽莎是名演员、曾主演《绿野仙踪》的裘迪•迦伦的女儿,本人也于1 9 7 3年因为在《小酒馆(Cabaret)》一片中的精彩演出而获得奥斯卡最佳女主角奖。

Customer: (To Rachel) Ahh, miss?   More coffee?
Rachel: Ugh. (To another customer that's leaving.) Excuse me, could you give this to that guy over there? (Hands him the coffee pot.) Go ahead. (He does so.) Thank you. (To the gang.) Sorry.  Okay, Las Vegas.
Chandler: Okay, so, I'm in Las Vegas... I'm Liza Minelli-
End
作者: 指向大海    时间: 2005-4-21 22:48:44

处于对老友记和英语的爱好我开始整理我的听力笔记,但原创的东西很少,申明一下参考文献了
新东方杂志 听说天地 老友记讲解连载
跟老友一起傻笑
Friends电子书--Kelvin & Emily
Friends6英语笔记---F6论坛
作者: niray    时间: 2005-4-23 09:55:48

沙发,哈哈
作者: niray    时间: 2005-4-23 09:57:46

我靠,还参考文献,我晕了
作者: trentonkk    时间: 2005-4-24 10:09:03

it's awesome...
作者: starkid    时间: 2005-4-24 15:37:00

这个练一般口语挺好,但对于TSE,个人觉得还是要针对考试题型练习,毕竟要应试阿。
作者: Perth    时间: 2005-4-27 02:43:29

cannot believe that, you are a genius!

i like friends so much too!
作者: 醉拳    时间: 2005-4-27 10:15:07

跪求friends的mps原声啊
感谢感谢啊
作者: 指向大海    时间: 2005-4-27 14:28:58

楼上的有一些网络人格吗,不用跪求啊,PM我,我可以告诉你下载地址,不过很慢
作者: 晨曦    时间: 2005-5-2 22:22:09

作者: hanyan223    时间: 2005-5-5 23:07:44

佩服死
作者: eddie_yu    时间: 2005-5-6 18:47:25

come on!
In the pilot show of Friends
when ross said he felt like .... the instestine thing....
Chandler showed his plate with cookie on it, asking Ross if he wants some cookie!!!
作者: 指向大海    时间: 2005-5-6 22:44:29

会楼上的,不错是说小甜饼的意思,我只是想引申一下,说明cookie的常用用法!
作者: imong    时间: 2005-5-6 22:47:53

Originally posted by 指向大海 at 2005-4-21 22:48
处于对老友记和英语的爱好我开始整理我的听力笔记,但原创的东西很少,申明一下参考文献了
新东方杂志 听说天地 老友记讲解连载
跟老友一起傻笑
Friends电子书--Kelvin & Emily
Friends6英语笔记--- ...

hehe
对 这里是存在一些基本的规范的
应该主动去注意到 不错不错
作者: 等爱的狐狸    时间: 2005-5-31 00:05:32

It's an excellent work. Would you like to share with us more? Thank you very much!
作者: abjure    时间: 2005-6-5 12:15:01

太棒了,这就是我现在想找得东西
作者: wqyf    时间: 2005-11-29 12:53:21

谢谢啦.
作者: kelly_li    时间: 2005-11-30 04:42:24

friends is one of  my most favorites
作者: so猫    时间: 2005-12-1 12:28:20

friends
虽然不是太喜欢这个drama
不过看完了觉得还可以

大海真是认真啊
作者: doctorwang    时间: 2005-12-4 10:44:27     标题: 整理以后的东西呢?

在哪里?我想下载看看
作者: duyuguxian    时间: 2006-7-19 10:17:50

看看先!
作者: zhangshuxs    时间: 2006-7-20 15:39:31

真是崩溃了,世界上有这种有实力又有人品的人,哈哈,使劲顶一下!谢谢啦!
作者: inasmuch    时间: 2006-8-11 22:55:01

分析得好详细啊 做了很多功课 赞~~~~
作者: Angela0316    时间: 2006-8-16 14:56:51

FANS~~~来啦~~~
绝对支持~~
作者: wandouhh    时间: 2006-8-19 08:04:22

wo,没话说了
作者: Roland    时间: 2006-8-19 16:54:59

喜欢看FRIENDS
作者: lmscool    时间: 2006-8-21 20:49:47

非常喜欢friends,喜欢他们的每一个表情,每一个动作,每一句话。喜欢friends的最重要的会欣赏美式幽默,看多了发现中国的一些小品相声实在是无聊。(呵呵,有点崇洋媚外的感觉)。friends看过3遍,一遍中文字幕,一遍英文,一遍没字幕,现在还时不时看两集。个人觉得看friends对单词量,听力,口语都是非常有帮助的,里面用到的GRE单词还是非常多的。
作者: rebeccaven    时间: 2006-8-22 13:13:59

ding
作者: Orange&Blue    时间: 2006-11-14 20:31:00

谢谢大海啊
作者: xdjin513    时间: 2006-11-17 00:43:04

能不能把电子书和笔记上传啊!!!;)
作者: rushanna    时间: 2006-11-17 03:03:00     标题: 回复 #2 指向大海 的帖子

Funny
作者: tonga    时间: 2006-11-18 09:24:29

有意思,顶
作者: innerbingo    时间: 2006-11-22 11:11:11

我也是天天看老友记的.呵呵