寄托币
注册时间
2008-10-30
精华
帖子

美版2016offer达人 IBT Zeal IBT Smart IBT Elegance 2016 US-applicant

沙发
发表于 2012-12-6 07:47:50 |只看该作者
Do you agree or disagree with the following statement? It is more important to choose friends that can have fun with you than to choose friends that will help you when you need them.

People today attach greater importance towards enjoying their daily lives. It is suggested that having friends that can make us happy is more important than having the ones which can be a help (These are two independent sentences. You can't connect them with a comma.). However, as the proverb goes "a friend in need is a friend indeed". So, I fundamentally disagree with the statement and I would like to have friends who can help me materially or mentally instead of the ones who can only share happiness with me.(The question, for once, asks not just for personal choice, but for which is 'more important'. You can of course infer that importance is implied in your personal choice, but I'd personally stick to the wording of the question to be safe.)

Friends who can help us when we are in trouble can make our lives more convenient by solving the problems both in our studies and in our daily lives. For example, I have a friend who excels in mathematics. Every time when I have questions in geometry or algebra and turn to him for help, I can always get satisfactory answers after discussing with him. With his help, I can make progress without sending emails to the teachers or consulting the teachers in person. Apart from studies, friends who can give a helping hand can also make our lives easier. My roommate is someone who is good at repairing hardware. One day, my laptop failed to start and he told me that he would like to have a try. About an hour later, my laptop was well repaired by him. It saves my time and energy to go outside to find a repairing station (You don't really call them 'stations'..just 'repair shops'.), I also do not need to worry about being overcharged for the repair.

Besides convenience, a friend who can help us gives us a chance to learn from him. We are impressed by their warm heartesness and thus we know that helping others is a virtue, we should also help other people when they are in trouble (Again, the 'thus' bit is an independent sentence and the 'we should' bit is another. You can't, repeat, cannot connect two independent sentences with a comma in English. Either use a full stop, or a connective like 'and', or change the 'thus' into something like 'since', which makes the 'we know' bit a dependent clause.). Moreover, we can also grasp the skills they have by learning from them. For instance, with the help given by that friend who is good at mathematics, I get to know his way of analyzing a problem, so I can deal with the problem next time when I encounter the similar kind of problems. I may also learn how to fix the computer from my friend who has that special skill. We can have our ability improved by having such friends.

Admittedly, the helping friend cannot ('cannot' as the negation of 'can' is one word. 'can not' as two words mean something different, because the negation is no longer on 'can' but on whatever that follows.) give us happiness directly compared with the friends with whom we can have fun. A funny friend can tell interesting things or jokes to amuse us and let us immersed in an enjoyable atmosphere. However, friends that can help us can bring us happiness in an indirect way. When they solve our problems we may get delighted as well, although this feeling of joy may not be as strong as the one given by the funny friends. This kind of fulfillment is what I appreciate and treasure as it is more practical.

Based on the above comprehensive analysis, I prefer to have friends who can help me, as I can have less trouble and also learn a lot from them.

总结:

论述很不错,总体没有太大的问题,请注意分句 - 英语里是不允许用逗号直接连接两个独立句子的,所以太长的句子最好都注意一下有没有这类问题。另外题目不是问你prefer哪种朋友,是哪种朋友more important。你当然可以说因为important所以我prefer,但是这层关系要么你把它写出来,要么建议还是按题目的词句来组织开头结尾。

使用道具 举报

声望
寄托币
注册时间
2011-6-4
精华
帖子
板凳
发表于 2012-12-6 18:16:58 |只看该作者
mpromanus 发表于 2012-12-6 07:47
Do you agree or disagree with the following statement? It is more important to choose friends that c ...

灰常感谢您的指导~

使用道具 举报

RE: 自己按机经写的作文 [修改]
您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 立即注册

问答
Offer
投票
面经
最新
精华
转发
转发该帖子