寄托币
注册时间
2005-3-27
精华
帖子
跳转到指定楼层
楼主
发表于 2005-8-3 15:30:19 |只看该作者 |倒序浏览
183. As we acquire more knowledge, things do not become more comprehensible, but more complex and more mysterious.

“The more I read, the more I mediated; and the more I acquire, the more I am enable to affirm that I know nothing”, said Voltaire, the great writer. Such kind of feeling is common to everybody. As we acquire more knowledge, things become more complex and mysterious instead of more comprehensible. Luckily, with the development of science and technology, we could finally turn complex to comprehensible.

To begin with, acquiring more knowledge helps us a lot in comprehending things around us. In ancient times, when human beings learned nothing about nature, they feel afraid of some nature phenomena like nights, thunder, eclipse of the moon, etc. With the development of knowledge, human beings began to understand these phenomena and treated them with ease. For example, as soon as people had learned that day and night was the result of the rotation of earth, they no longer feel horrible about the nights and take them for granted. Thanks to knowledge. We could see the world more clearly.

However, human beings are never satisfied with the mere success of understanding the superficial facts. Their further investigations into the phenomena usually make things more complex and mysterious. Therefore, the more they learn, the more they will feel that they know nothing. A philosopher of ancient Greece once drew two circles on the beach and said to his student, “The large circle represents my knowledge and small one represents yours. The outside is the unknown world. It is true that my knowledge circle is larger than yours, but its boundary to the unknown world is also larger.” It is always through further knowledge that we find things more complicated and the unknown world seems to be larger. Take Chinese traditional medicines for example. Although people have already learned their functions through daily experience, nowadays new problems rise for them to clarify the components of these medicines. Without a further analysis, some components might have some side effects. However, till now, we have not developed a possible way to do this. The traditional medicines which used to be so familiar to us are now quite complicated. This is because our human are never satisfied with knowing about the facts. We not only want to know the reason for the facts but also how to make full use of them.

Moreover, human beings never compromise at these complex things and always try every effort to make them comprehensible and make full use of them. Although the space is still mysterious to us and what we learned is just a tip of the iceberg, we never stop our effort to explore the unknown territory of it. The first launch of satellite by the Soviet Union, our first landing on the moon, the exploration of Mars, such kind of historical events are the milestones that indicating our courage and determination to further solving the complex and unknown world. Such kind of courage not only helps us to understand the nature, but also helps us to make full use of it. With the help of the satellite, we developed sophisticated GPRS system to facilitate the communication of people all over the world. See, we are finally rewarded by our persistence.

In sum, as we acquire more knowledge, things do not become more comprehensible, but more complex and more mysterious. Such kind of situation stimulates us to further understand things around us and greatly deepen our knowledge.

[ Last edited by staralways on 2005-8-3 at 18:22 ]
ETS死了,xiaowenzi118说。
xiaowenzi118死了,ETS说。
回应

使用道具 举报

声望
寄托币
注册时间
2005-6-1
精华
帖子
沙发
发表于 2005-8-3 16:12:23 |只看该作者
占位子,现在就改
If you think English is easy, take GRE
If you think math is easy, take wavelet
If you think life is easy, take a girlfriend

使用道具 举报

声望
寄托币
注册时间
2005-6-1
精华
帖子
板凳
发表于 2005-8-3 16:36:20 |只看该作者
先说一下我对这道题的看法,个人认为主要要写到底是更容易理解了还是更复杂了,以及为什么

“The more I read, the more I mediated; and the more I acquire, the more I am enable to affirm that I know nothing”, said Voltaire, the great writer. Such kind of feeling is common to everybody. As we acquire more knowledge, things become more complex and mysterious instead of more comprehensible. Luckily, with the development of science and technology, we could finally turn complex to comprehensible.(开头不错,很自然,学习ing)

To begin with, acquiring more knowledge helps us a lot in comprehending things around us. In ancient times, when human beings learned nothing about nature, they feel afraid of some nature phenomena like nights, thunder, eclipse of the moon, etc. With the development of knowledge, human beings began to understand these phenomena and treated them with ease. For example, as soon as people had learned that (the alternation of day and night)day and night was(一般时态) the result of the rotation of earth, they no longer feel horrible about the nights and take them for granted. Thanks to knowledge(口语化了,due to。。或者改成虚拟语气). We could see the world more clearly.(感觉着一段扣题还不错)

However, human beings are never satisfied with the mere success of understanding the superficial facts. Their further investigations into the phenomena usually make things more complex and mysterious. Therefore, the more they learn, the more they will feel that they know nothing. (这一段开头不错)A philosopher of ancient Greece once drew two circles on the beach and said to his student, “The large circle represents my knowledge and small one represents yours. The outside is the unknown world. It is true that my knowledge circle is larger than yours, but its boundary to the unknown world is also larger.” (后面这一句感觉解释的不太到位,语言上也有点儿脱节,可以用That is 连一下)It is always through further knowledge that we find things more complicated and the unknown world seems to be larger. (在加例子这一段未免太长,很难保持全文的平衡,要是多个例子最好间断一点讲,不过好像这两个例子也没法再缩了:L)Take Chinese traditional medicines for example. Although people have already learned their functions through daily experience, nowadays new problems rise for them to clarify the components of these medicines. Without a further analysis, some components might have some side effects. However, till now, we have not developed a possible way to do this. The traditional medicines which used to be so familiar to us are now quite complicated. This is because our human are never satisfied with knowing about the facts. We not only want to know the reason for the facts but also how to make full use of them.(这段也扣题,写得也很清楚,就是长了点儿:))

Moreover, human beings never compromise(halt) at these complex things and always try every effort to make them comprehensible and make full use of them. Although the space is still mysterious to us and what we learned is just a tip of the iceberg(这个表达真的不错,刚刚还用google查证了一下:)), we never stop our effort to explore the unknown territory of it. The first launch of satellite by the Soviet Union, our first landing on the moon, the exploration of Mars, such kind of historical events are the milestones that indicating our courage and determination to further solving the complex and unknown world(前面这句话写得很漂亮:)). Such kind of courage not only helps us to understand the nature, but also helps us to make full use of it. With the help of the satellite, we developed sophisticated GPRS system to facilitate the communication of people all over the world. (后面这句写得有点儿随便了,不像formal writting:))See, we are finally rewarded by our persistence.(整个三个body的框架都没有什么问题,完整了)

In sum, as we acquire more knowledge, things do not become more comprehensible, but more complex and more mysterious. Such kind of situation stimulates us to further understand things around us and greatly deepen our knowledge.

这应该不是限时重新写得吧,去掉那两句口语,个人认为至少5分,真的准备得差不多了,加油
If you think English is easy, take GRE
If you think math is easy, take wavelet
If you think life is easy, take a girlfriend

使用道具 举报

声望
寄托币
注册时间
2005-6-1
精华
帖子
地板