注册时间
2004-2-9
精华
帖子
跳转到指定楼层
楼主
发表于 2006-2-22 23:48:59 |只看该作者 |倒序浏览
Issue196   
“Technology creates more problems than it solves, and may threaten or damage the quality of life”(15次  06年已经出现3次)

Agree with concession
1.scientific discoveries and technological advancement have produced tremendous improvements in the quality of human life.举例,medical science – prolong life, computer and INTERNET
2.However, create problems. cloning – ethical issues; nuclear weapons --- threaten human life
3.damage the quality of life. 举例:生活节奏变快,竞争压力使人的休闲时间变少,甚至产生社会问题如自杀等
结论:的确带来很多问题,应加强对技术的约束管理,预防负面效应

In today’s complex and rapidly changing society, people come to realize that technology can be both a blessing and a curse. As for the speaker’s statement, while I concede that technology greatly improves human life in many respects, I essentially agree that it creates problems at the same time, and damages the quality f life.

First of all, admittedly, scientific discoveries and technological advancement have produced tremendous improvements in the quality of human life. For example, in medical science, the progress toward greater understanding of the nature of disease and its prevention, has significantly prolonged human life. Another striking and important example involves information technology. The development of computer and INTERNET not only emancipates architects, artists, designers, and musicians by saving their time and increasing their efficiency, but it also makes possible universal access to information. Examples like these are innumerable. In a word, we cannot imagine living in a world without any technology.

Having recognized the improvement that technology brought to human life, nevertheless, I maintain that technologies do create many problems. Again in the case of medical science, with the development of cures for fatal illnesses, vital ethical issues must be addressed. A case in point is the issue of cloning. While cloning babies is regarded by virtually everyone as dangerous and unethical, opinions is split on therapeutic cloning. The supporters say that the approach offers an unrivalled promise for the treatment of many diseases, such as Parkinson’s and diabetes, but the opponents say that the resultant death of embryos is absolutely unacceptable. Moreover, other technologies, like nuclear weapon and chemical plants, may directly threaten human life. While nuclear weapon is regarded as a symbol of national power, the spread of nuclear capabilities has brought the world to the brink of war day by day. Besides, the production of nuclear weapon has brought untold environmental damage. Many technologies like these are paradoxical in themselves, thus put human beings into a dilemma.

Another reason why I fundamentally agree with the author is that, although instant foods, instant communication and faster transportation have save people’s time, ironically, they contribute to a pace of human affairs which is more rushed than ever before. With greater mobility, we have more destinations everyday; more convenient access to information, we try to assimilate more of it everyday; more saving-time facilities, we attend more activities everyday. Consequently, the development of high technology diminishes our life quality. It steals our time and attention away from family and community. Fortunately, we have more opportunities than the predecessors, but unfortunately we confront with more challenge and suffer from more pressure, thus resulting in some serious social problems, such as high suicide rate, resentment, anti-social actions, and so on.

In conclusion, although I cannot say for sure whether technology creates more problems than it solves, I strongly agree that technology indeed have many adverse consequences. While we are enjoying the comfort and convenience brought by technology, we must place social controls over the use of technology, so that we can anticipate and prevent the negative effect of it.
不知为何,眼睛总为星光所吸引,喜欢那小小的淡淡的温柔的光芒,更慑服于星空的铺天盖地,浩渺无边……
回应

使用道具 举报

RE: issue196 同主题七 请拍砖!!留链必回 [修改]
您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 立即注册

问答
Offer
投票
面经
最新
精华
转发
转发该帖子