寄托币
注册时间
2004-10-29
精华
帖子
跳转到指定楼层
楼主
发表于 2005-8-30 17:26:18 |只看该作者 |倒序浏览
The study of an academic discipline alters the way we perceive the world. After studying the discipline, we see the same world as before, but with different eyes.

Whether the study of an academic discipline alters the way we perceive the world is a heated debate nowadays. Facing such complex issue, any extreme answer without careful analysis is improper. As far as I am concerned, we can see the same world deeper and more comprehensive after studying various disciplines.

To begin with, the biology discipline can change our views of the animals in biosphere. When I was young, I was usually bitten by mosquitoes, so I hated them and swore to kill all of them one day. With this naive dream, I was admitted in the biology department of Xiamen University, where I learned that mosquitoes played a vital role in the food chain. Without mosquitoes, hundreds of birds that prey on mosquitoes are doomed to die out because of the lack of food. From this point, although I still hate those mosquitoes, my opinion has changed. What I think is to do away from them rather than kill them all. It is the knowledge of biodiversity that changes my mind.

Furthermore, in the realm of economy, the theory of market regulation can tell people the principle of need and supply. Ma Yun, the president and CEO of Alibaba, a distinguished and well-known Internet company in Beijing, illustrates this point brilliantly in the following quote (and I paragraph),”People without such knowledge may state that price is randomly selected because they can cut price down by communicating with the boss. However, after learning relative knowledge, people would know that the price of one product mainly, if not all, depends on the quality itself and the balance of need and supply. “

In addition, the Maslow's theory of hierarchy needs will change people's view toward crimes and the like. It tells people that one should be fed and clothed, or he or she would pay little heed on the discrepancy between right or wrong. In other word, they would do anything, whether they are right, including crimes, to meet their basic needs. This theory provides important reference for the governments how to tackle the crimes.

Admittedly, if the one just learn such discipline and do not comprehend it, he or she would not change its original view. For example, a student who just remember the theory of Newton and could not put it into practice would never understand the phenomenon “why does the earth go around the sun constantly?"

In conclusion, I agree that the study of an academic discipline can alter the way we perceive the world. But only after understanding the essential part of the discipline can we see the world deeper and then put the discipline into practice.
回应

使用道具 举报

RE: issue177 fantasy小组30日作业 [修改]
您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 立即注册

问答
Offer
投票
面经
最新
精华
转发
转发该帖子