注册时间
2010-9-14
精华
帖子
跳转到指定楼层
楼主
发表于 2011-2-14 10:30:21 |只看该作者 |倒序浏览
本帖最后由 goodluck007 于 2011-2-14 10:40 编辑

Hi, everyone. I found many great advice from many Economics PhD programs. Source Retrieved from http://www.chrissilvey.com/advice.html.

I hope it will help us learn better what graduate schools' expectations are.

Become An Economist

The more math classes, the better. - UC Davis -

A lot has been said & done already. Study for your GREs because they're very important -- get multiple computer practice exams. Take courses & obtain research experience that you think will prepare you well for grad school. This might include graduate economics classes, or finding some offbeat & compelling research topic for an undergrad paper. Or maybe just trying to fill some deficiencies in your mathematics training (like, e.g., if you haven't taken multivariable calc & linear algebra). I think the econ courses are better preparation than are the more sophisticated math courses, but probability & math stat can be really useful.
Other than that, I'd say try to relax about the whole process. There's not much that you can do at this point -- so a lot of the exercise is just coping w/ the stress & the uncertainty. Brace yourself for the possibility that things could be very disappointing but try to remain upbeat. - U.Chicago -

Get some real work experience before you go to graduate school, even, at the bare minimum, summer internships. Graduate school is a job - it's got the proving grounds, the trials and tribulations, the politics, the solo or team projects, etc. It's so important to have a sense of living in the real world and to get your priorities straight before you let yourself and your ideas be put through such rigorous "training." I've seen a few people get so caught up in their own little minute area of concentration that they forget the big picture, both personally and professionally. You need to be able to treat grad school like job, albeit a demanding one. It really helps to have outside interests, etc. to spend time away from the dept on and keep yourself from getting burnt out. - Duke -

A lot of people told me to apply to the place w/ the best overall program & ignore considerations of field. I think this is a very good idea. I had some ideas about fields that interested me, & I'm really glad that I didn't act on those, b/c I feel like the main learning experiences I've had here were (1) the core curriculum in the 1st year, (2) attending seminars & acquiring a taste for economics. And I think having an advisor in a very similar field as you isn't necessarily that useful. - U.Chicago -

My best advice for someone considering a PhD is to think really hard whether you want it. The PhD program is a long and hard process, and you have to really be completely passionate about it. My experience is that it includes tons of lonely hours in front of a computer, a lot of bumps along the way (people don't buy your theories; you have to revise your work over and over). The exciting thing is that you learn new things and new theories that allow you to look at the world in a different lens and having people around you that discusses your work and help you develop.

I would not recommend getting a PhD for someone who is not interested to become a Professor or a researcher. The investment is huge and the opportunity cost his high. The private sector doesn't normally reward PhD since during the years you spent on a PhD you missed the opportunity to gain professional experience in the private sector. However, If you want to be a university Prof. that is definitely the right path. If you don't, I believe that other graduate degrees such as masters degrees would be just as helpful to climb ladders in the world. They are normally shorter and easier.
If you still decided that you want it, go for it. Get the best recommendation you can, score very high on your GRE and write a good statement of purpose - Harvard -

Be patient. The acceptance process is random. The Quan GRE has lots of geometry, so brush up on it. (Why grad schools pay so much attention to this score is a bit of a mystery to me. The math on the GRE has little to do with what a person sees in grad school. I think that the analytical portion of the GRE is more predictive of success as a grad student because even though the subject matter is far removed from economics, at least it tests reasoning skills, which are very important to a good researcher.) - U.Virginia -

First, be sure that you want to do it......grad school is a long term commitment, it is going to be your life most likely, so you have to be certain that it is what you want....if you are sure about this, learn as much math and statistics as you can......so you can devote your time in grad school to learn the economic intuition which is the hard part.......
good luck in your endeavor......hope to see you around in a couple of years.....(nah, by then I hope that my dissertation is finished....hehehehehhe) - U.Chicago -
This is all very interesting, but there are many things about grad school you need to know about. First, about me: I was three years into the PhD program at UT when I decided that economics was a fruitless pursuit and decided to go to law school. I am much happier for it (so this is a warning).

For the number of schools to apply to: if you have a 3.5 from a Cal State in CA and a low 700 on the quantitative, there isn't much to distinguish you from everyone else applying. Second, it is easy to pick the school that is right for you: the highest ranked school you can get into. If you don't get into a top 35 program, you are completely wasting your time. If you don't get into a top 25 program, you may get a job, but not a great job. And if you don't get into a top 10 to top 15, getting an academic job is EXTREMELY difficult.

SO... looking at your math selection, you are taking the BARE minimum (and I mean the BARE minimum). If you want to go to a real grad school, you need to add the following math courses:

• Differential Equations
  • Real Analysis
  • Advanced Calculus
  • More Probability/Statistics

As for the application itself, don't spend hours and hours on it. But don't make the same mistake I did: on my first round, I said I was interested in economic history. What a mistake! Economics programs have no interest in these people. Next time, I said I was interested in game theory and experimental economics and got into all the schools I had been rejected from the year before. Of course, the irony is that almost all undergrads have no idea what grad school is like and have even less idea of what economists actually do. What undergrads are taught is almost entirely pedagogical (for example, no serious grad program use Keynesian economics, but every undergrad program does, because it is simple with little math).

Be sure this is what you want to do. If you are still sure you want to do this, the best thing I can recommend is take those math classes NOW! During 2002 - 2003 finish your calc sequence, finish taking the intermediate theory courses, and whatever math/stats course you can (but don't kill yourself). Then, in 2003 - 2004, take some of econ department's grad courses. If you can only take one, take Micro Theory I.
If you have tons of math and some grad classes under you belt, this will definitely help your prospects of getting into a good grad program.
If you don't, and are still convinced this is what you want to do, don't despair. I knew people who would get their masters at a school like SFSU and then start again at a good program. - U.Texas -

Don't be shy. First, get to know economists at your University--become a research assistant. It is especially good if they take an interest in you and your success.Second, get the best training you can, including as much math as you can take, especially stat and probability theory. Third, apply to the top schools and have your professors contact people personally. Fourth, consider working for one or two years out of undergrad at an economic consulting firm or the Fed. You'll get to see economists in action, gain RA skills that are valued in graduate school, and make sure you want to become an economist. - U.Chicago - It's kind of a random thing so one shouldn't take it *too* seriously. Work hard on getting the best GRE scores possible, on getting good letters of rec. and on taking classes that will indicate a good technical background. All the rest will take care of itself. The statement is not too important - admissions committees barely read them. A bad statement will hurt you, a good one won't make much of a difference. - U. Michigan -

Get research experience as an undergrad. It will not only help you get into grad school, but it will help you know whether you're going to like grad school or not, because once you're in grad school, research is the only criterion on which you're evaluated. - Harvard -

Suck up to your undergrad profs (and coordinate with them) so that they'll write you good recommendation letters for the schools you want. Make sure they know what you want to do, too. Personal connections with your faculty and theirs are invaluable. Write a nice little undergrad thesis in economics if you're a gunner. - UCSD -

Works as a research assistant for a professor, ideally a big-name professors. Go to a different school to work as a research assistant, say at Harvard Business School or the Kennedy School at Harvard. Try to get an impressive recommendation letter this way, i.e. from someone the profession knows and respects. - Harvard -

Take as much math as possible and get good grades in math courses. Try to establish a good relationship with at least two professors in your undergrad econ department and work as a research assistant if you can. Finally, it is best to be a well-rounded person, no matter where you go, so pursue other interests that you love-- don't shut yourself in the library, talking about nothing except the fed funds rate and the Laffer Curve! If you have no outside interests, grad school will burn you out quickly. - Johns Hopkins U. -

Well the obvious answer is "Math, Math Math, learn that language well", but beyond that pace yourself, a PhD is just a first step, but it is an important one, and it takes longer than you will easily appreciate. If you take care of yourself, do your best to pragmatically move forward each day, and have patience with your self and the program you are in you will do very well. If you look for difficulty and for problems with {yourself, your advisors, your department, the profession, academic learning, etc.}, you will easily find them, but suffer as a result. Being an Academic does not make you responsible to have the right answer to any research question you are interested in as you ask it, it makes you responsible for wanting to learn about the phenomena that led to your question, and for improving understanding of the problem within the profession- most of the time this leads to a great answer, sometimes you learn things much more important than what you set out to learn, but sometimes you discover that the question its self was too big, or too small and then you are learning how to ask better questions. That requires great personal responsibility, and a willingness to let go of a lot of pride- it is a big deal to remember from day to day. - Berkeley -
已有 2 人评分寄托币 声望 收起 理由
tjjelly + 1 很好的建议
alexanderhe + 20 + 5 谢谢分享

总评分: 寄托币 + 20  声望 + 6   查看全部投币

回应

使用道具 举报

声望
寄托币
注册时间
2010-9-14
精华
帖子
沙发
发表于 2011-2-14 10:43:50 |只看该作者
本帖最后由 goodluck007 于 2011-5-19 06:34 编辑

申请成功结束,谢谢。

使用道具 举报

声望
寄托币
注册时间
2010-7-24
精华
帖子
板凳
发表于 2011-2-14 10:51:58 |只看该作者
人家还会回复你,不好意思,你的材料已经被丢垃圾桶了?

使用道具 举报

声望
寄托币
注册时间
2010-9-14
精华
帖子
地板
发表于 2011-2-14 10:58:56 |只看该作者
2# goodluck007

What? Actually, I don't care much about whether or not Columbia U accept me, but I do care about other schools' decisions. However, I will enter a better school than you, because I have many choice. All of the schools I have applied for don't make early decisions, so we will see the results in March.

使用道具 举报

声望
寄托币
注册时间
2010-7-24
精华
帖子
发表于 2011-2-14 11:01:41 |只看该作者
I will enter a better school than you好狂的人。还有点天真。
秘书说reviewing就真以为自己在reviewing啦。
“Therefore, I didn't lose on the first round cut-off”
这个therefore的多无力啊,undergraduate research白做了。

使用道具 举报

声望
寄托币
注册时间
2010-9-14
精华
帖子
发表于 2011-2-14 11:17:40 |只看该作者
4# goodluck007

lol, it's not a secretary but the coordinator notified me.

使用道具 举报

声望
寄托币
注册时间
2010-7-24
精华
帖子
发表于 2011-2-14 12:08:35 |只看该作者
可能是我英语问题,我以为coordinator也是秘书,director才是招生主任。
“However, I will enter a better school than you, because I have many choice.”
我不觉得密苏里哥伦比亚的本科生能自信到这种程度,我也不觉得自己学校在任何美国或者世界排名上面差过你,况且我的gpa还比你高,课程修的还比你多。年轻人不要这样狂妄。
anyway,祝你申请成功。

使用道具 举报

声望
寄托币
注册时间
2011-1-10
精华
帖子

Economist

发表于 2011-2-14 12:30:05 |只看该作者
Kelvin息怒......别在意,lz太孩子了...

Goodluck007: 人比人,气死人... 论坛么,就是大家交流经验,互相鼓励的地方。况且大家都出门在外,我很理解你的心情,我们在国外这么多年都不容易,肯定希望自己有所成就,能翻身去一所名校。看过你的profile,我觉得你数学很好,肯定能去一所不错的学校。与其天天跟别人比,不如抱着交流的心态,吸取一些别人的长处不是。呵呵,祝你申请顺利!

心放宽一点,为所有申请的兄弟们祝福!

使用道具 举报

声望
寄托币
注册时间
2008-7-21
精华
帖子
发表于 2011-2-14 12:52:57 |只看该作者
赞LS~~~
LZ的发的信息也不错。不过说话好像有点。。哈哈,小朋友
至于Columbia,去年就录了3个Chinese(ethnic),而且全是女的,LZ是男的吧:lol
3个女的,一个The University of Hong Kong,一个Wuhan University,最后一个Berea College,不过别人是triple major:L神人,而且GPA还高。。
Time to Go, God Bless You All

使用道具 举报

声望
寄托币
注册时间
2008-7-21
精华
帖子
发表于 2011-2-14 12:53:21 |只看该作者
oh,sorry,是录了也去了的
Time to Go, God Bless You All

使用道具 举报

声望
寄托币
注册时间
2010-9-14
精华
帖子
发表于 2011-2-14 13:32:41 |只看该作者
6# goodluck007

或许我用英语说得有点过激了,对不起,现在可以打汉字了。我只是高兴能过CU的首轮,至于他们最终录取与否,就没有那么重要了。能过他们的首轮,我就有希望过其他学校的首轮。只要能被30名左右的学校录取就可以。

使用道具 举报

声望
寄托币
注册时间
2010-9-14
精华
帖子
发表于 2011-2-14 13:35:59 |只看该作者
9# jason2008wh

我没说自己被CU录取,只是过了第一轮,后面有多少轮还不知道呢。我还是有自知之明的,希望不是很大。我对别的学校还是抱有希望来的,毕竟过了CU的首轮筛选。他们有个application status check 你可以上去看看。不过他们说得系里发号才行。通知单三月份由研究生院发出。

使用道具 举报

声望
寄托币
注册时间
2010-12-13
精华
帖子

荣誉版主 Gemini双子座 Economist

发表于 2011-2-14 15:57:49 |只看该作者
LZ是密苏里哥伦比亚的?你们学校有个学姐现在是Stern Economics 1st Year的PhD!她人那个好啊,而且真的是非常非常得HOT HOT!我和她素昧生平,有一次我写个很短的邮件问几个申请Stern的问题,她居然都给我回千把字。之后还帮我改了PS,并且居然还说Fingers crossed you get into Stern!。。。实在不忍心告诉她,我不是stern的料,申他家是想撞个头彩。

总之一句话,身体,头脑和心灵都很美的女神。。弄得我忍不住时不时要YY一下啊。。。不好意思,和你的这个post一点关系都没有,只是情不自禁地套下近乎。。。

使用道具 举报

声望
寄托币
注册时间
2010-9-14
精华
帖子
发表于 2011-2-15 03:33:10 |只看该作者
本帖最后由 goodluck007 于 2011-2-15 03:35 编辑

I came to the U.S. university two years ago, so I didn't know many Chinese graduate students. "总之一句话,身体,头脑和心灵都很美的女神" Really? I don't know that girl. Maybe she graduated before I came to this school.

"申他家是想撞个头彩" That is what I thought about applying for CU.

使用道具 举报

声望
寄托币
注册时间
2005-10-11
精华
帖子
发表于 2011-2-15 14:16:47 |只看该作者
嗯吧  去top15以后的还不如不去 支持一下lz.....虽然top15的学校有点多 据说超过20所自称top15

使用道具 举报

RE: Advice from Economics PhD Departments [修改]
您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 立即注册