寄托家园留学论坛

标题: Understanding Communication, Mass Media and related majors [打印本页]

作者: iamzhangjun    时间: 2005-10-20 01:55:32     标题: Understanding Communication, Mass Media and related majors

I saw a lot of people here talking about applying communication school, mass media program, or J school and other major like advertising or PR.

For those who want to end up with MA and come back to China, I think it waste time to read my point here.

While for those who intend to go further either in PHD program or getting job in U.S., I would have a few words for your consideration.

Communication is pure theory field and you will see many courses like theory building or philosophy is the program like communication. communication mainly study individual behavior in most school here, (correct me if I am wrong). while Mass media is mostly a inter-dicipline program that cover advertisment, Jurl, PR, television, broadcast, and telecommunication. again it is also a pure theory subject. people might  do contect analysis on newspaper or television, might do survey or other theory work.

It is hard to get job when you finish you PHD degree in communication and mass media or related. the only way you have to go is to take a teaching position in some small school even you are from top communication or mass media school. this is ture for international student.

I dont want to scare those who want to apply for PHD program in these related areas, but you should think about if I am really interested in doing theory research work in this area. if so, you can come, i think you would enjoy the research enviroment here.

About communication schools.  there are some most famous communication and mass media program in U.S., columbia, NYU,USC is top ones for practical training. In pure academia, Michigan state, northwest, is among the top of my mind, because there are so many theories and theories leaders coming from these two schools. there are also some excellent PHD programs like in Indiana, penn state, U of missouri. because each school has their strengths and focus, so you need to make sure which area you are interested in and find the program that fits you well.

hope this information helpful..
作者: iamzhangjun    时间: 2005-10-20 02:05:21

one more thing is that the funding in communication or mass media is decreasing in recent years. so people usually do TA or RA for more than one faculty in most of com school or mass media programs, as far as I know.
作者: 加菲熊    时间: 2005-10-20 12:52:16

Good article !
作者: 蜗牛爬爬爬    时间: 2005-10-20 13:18:41     标题: 回复 #1 iamzhangjun 的帖子

楼主讲的挺好的,只是可能我不是太赞同你说的:For those who want to end up with MA and come back to China, I think it waste time to read my point here.
呵呵,不过你这么一说,倒是对我很有启发
只是这些可能因为每个人将来的个人规划差异有不用的结果吧!
作者: 无畏的天使    时间: 2005-10-20 22:09:55

说的挺好的,谢谢楼主的分享!
我想那些一部分要申请media or comm的同学或许都是因为认为us很难申请到JURL,所以出此下策吧。楼主有没有好的建议给他们?比如在专业的选择上。
THAX!
作者: iamzhangjun    时间: 2005-10-21 01:24:06

Well, Two issues here I would like to clarify.
I am making a point for those who plan to apply PHD program. For MA, it is different point of view, it is hard for Chinese students to get job with MA degree in U.S. I mean MA in pure social science. So most of MA Chinese students here apply PHD when finishing MA program. While the reality might be a little easier than what I say, I might be wrong to some extend. I know some MA students getting job in U.S.. but i believe it is rare phenomenon.

Applying J school, comm, telecom, advertising, PR, or related major faces the same difficuties for Chinese students to apply. the difference is that J school, or advertising, has limited class scale and it is more professional training. Comm is aiming to provide basic knowledge and method for students to pursue high level of degree, PHD.

I know many Chinese students in comm, telecom, mass media program in U.S.. so take it easy, you will  get in. But there is nothing to loose or nothing to win for getting in U.S. school or not getting in.  there is also no success or failure with respect to applying U.S. school. Many years later, you might find your choice to come to U.S. is totally wrong.  you might be better off. But just you best, whereever you are, which I say you will be sucessful.

Hope this help
作者: 蜗牛爬爬爬    时间: 2005-10-21 09:16:43

楼主说的挺客观的
你讲的这些也是我的一些困惑
所以我觉得申请美国传播的,应该参考一下香港的申请程序,在自己决定往这个方向去深入研究的时候,自己将来的职业规划,人生规划是怎样的?那么在美国那边整个行业的发展趋势就业情况以及自己的研究方向究竟又是如何?如何将自己将来在学习期间的东西真正转化成为对自己有用的?
一定要清楚自己的定位,有了正确的规划之后,再去做一个决定,虽然会有不经意间的惊喜或者无法预计的坎坷,但这一路,明白自己的方向,最重要
作者: Dendis    时间: 2005-10-23 14:04:14

i think we are on the same page~~~
作者: samluxing    时间: 2005-10-23 17:56:10     标题: Thanks for sharing info: Another question

Is it a viable option to study for MA and have good job market waiting for you in China? (Is any data on that?) thanks
作者: iamzhangjun    时间: 2005-10-24 02:28:51

I have no idea of what exactly the number of what percentage of MA in mass communication, mass media, or related field get jobs in China. But from my personal working experience in China, I would say if you get MA from U.S. top school, I think you can get in some top international companies. As media market is opening up, there are great needs for the students with multiculture educated background. But in that sense, getting degree in U.S. , Hong Kong, or other places' top mass media program are the same. Just to notice great deal of excent J-school and mass media program are out of U.S., expecially many research in terms of my area, telecommunication in Europe are cutting-edge research and better than some traditional research in U.S.
作者: fatluo    时间: 2005-10-24 16:06:45

去美国读实务方向的ma的话是不是基本上没有奖学金?
另外,很多人建议第一年自己出钱去读,因为到了那边再申请奖学金什么的就会容易很多,是吗?
作者: coco3263    时间: 2005-10-24 17:27:47

thanks for the information !
作者: iamzhangjun    时间: 2005-10-25 08:56:23

As far as I know,  graduate school seriously lacks fuding recently years, which decreases the room for assistantships.  It is also hard to get assistantship even you are here, as most assistantships has already been secured for those students who have already gotten it in the first year. so to make sure you have assistanship when you come here.

for those who dont want to have a assiantship, but still have a little concerns about money, my suggestion is to apply public school, because public shool's tuition will be much lower than private school with still very good education quality.
作者: wellington2010    时间: 2005-10-25 18:47:13     标题: 非常感谢搂主的分享

谢,感谢,非常感谢。
作者: samluxing    时间: 2005-10-26 16:03:41     标题: 两个申请方面的问题?

谢谢楼主的建议。两个问题?
第一个问题:在申请Communication学位时,有些学校要求提供writing example,一定是书面发表的文章吗???
第二个问题:叁份推荐信中一定要有学校的教授吗?
谢谢
作者: iamzhangjun    时间: 2005-10-27 01:08:17

not necessary....chose one who would like to speak high of you.
作者: whxyj    时间: 2005-10-27 10:43:50

哈哈,我也是打算第一年自费.偶知道自己拿OFFER的可能性不大.第二年如果有人毕业,那就应该会有TA OR RA的位置空出来吧.

:)

顺便问一下,中国人申请journalism 是不是很难?
作者: iamzhangjun    时间: 2005-10-27 11:03:00

personally, i strongly recommend you to go to J school in Hong Kong or in UK, if you just plan to end up with MA and go for a job.   There is always job opportunity around, just have a try....
作者: whxyj    时间: 2005-10-27 11:12:21

:)

3Q

可是港大和中大的都好难啊,竞争好激烈.
我听说英国的JOURNALISM好象不大适合中国.
作者: coco3263    时间: 2005-10-28 11:13:14

感谢楼主!
我是想一直呆在学校里研究的,而我也觉得直接申请PHD较好,

我查了一些学校,COMM SCHOOL 似乎都分有 master 和PHD,

那么请问:
1,你知道有那些COMM 学校直接录取本科毕业的PHD吗?

2,这些分别有master 和phd的学校如果没有明确说明要先获得master 才能读phd,是否就可以直接申PHD呢?

3,我看到anthropology  的program 里有 media and culture studies,这种科目以本科是新闻传播的申请会容易一些吗?我的意思是传播和人类学本来是跨专业,那申请人类学中的媒介文化研究是否和本科专业有一定的相关性,从而会容易录取一些呢?
尽管这种人类学中的media 是广义的媒介,新闻媒介知识其中一部分。

非常感谢!
作者: iamzhangjun    时间: 2005-10-29 01:00:26

this is not trying to let you down, but as I know, some good PHD in communication or mass media in U.S. requires MA as pre.. Besides, as I oberved, all PHD students in our program as other programs (I know) held MA and working experiences.

I know there are some PHD program who recieves student directly from B.A. degree, but that is rare case.
作者: iamzhangjun    时间: 2005-10-29 01:06:06

Coco, i guess I did not answer your third question...

Well, there are various groups of scholars are doing research on Mass media, J, communication and others from different perspectives. I know there are many economics professors are working on Mass media economics, many policial professor working on political mass media, many medical professor working on health communication, many technical research working communication technology..... so find the area you are interested, and try to communicate with the professor first to make sure if their research is exactly what you are interested.

for more pratical meaning, I worry that if you go to anthopolgy department, what courses you can learn about mass media...  just to make sure that department has a matrure envirorment to work on mass media if you does not choose to go to comm school...
作者: coco3263    时间: 2005-10-29 11:00:14

非常感谢你提供的信息对我非常有用!

听了你说的我觉得我还是先确定自己的研究兴趣再来找MATCH的学校,

我知道MASTER不容易得到奖学金,所以想直接读PHD也是从有全奖这一点考虑的,觉得这样直接一步到位,省去不少麻烦。当然我也知道申PHD我没有工作经验也是一块硬伤,我会在申请时注意。

你提到的COMM的分支很多这个我也了解,很感谢。

另外请问:
那你能告诉我你所知道的直接 收BA的PHD学校吗?因为目前我还没找到一所。

感谢你的帮助,祝你学业顺利!
作者: iamzhangjun    时间: 2005-10-29 11:52:04

try ohio university comm school, maryland u j school
作者: coco3263    时间: 2005-10-30 20:41:06     标题: hi,really appreciate your help!

and I'm also curious that whether or not your status as an internatinal student in your comm program has given you any benefits in choosing research subject ,or etc,or has provided you with an horizon the prof consider unique?

I mean,as an international student,has your background been helping you with your studies, and /or has it been an inspiration to make you think more about commumnition cation between cultures ?like culture shock or something.

the above questions base on my asumption that you're in a us comm school now,and hope I'm right.
many thanks!
作者: iamzhangjun    时间: 2005-11-1 02:13:10

i would say any observation in any culture background would be possible contributing to the theory field and pratical field.  OS yes, student with multiculture background would work well in some multiculture study in mass media or communication field.
作者: twobirds    时间: 2005-11-4 15:23:53

JAMZhangjun:

Thanks very much for sharing your opinions and experices of application to comm. & mass media direction.

My background is as described "有了工作经验,反而为专业犯愁
"     https://bbs.gter.net/bbs/viewthre ... ;page=1#pid1989511.[url=https://bbs.gter.net/bbs/viewthread.php?tid=358508&pid=1989511&page=1#pid1989511.]

May I have your suggestion on my case? Thanks for your kindness in advance.
作者: iamzhangjun    时间: 2005-11-5 08:43:05

if you have working experiences and dont want to go to academia finally, go to MBA... PHD is designed for people who really like researching and teaching, expecially in social science.
作者: twobirds    时间: 2005-11-8 19:53:44

Thanks for your opinion. I decided to choose social work.
作者: iamzhangjun    时间: 2005-11-19 02:47:14     标题: well, go decision.

good luck
作者: samonzhang    时间: 2005-11-21 21:13:28

I'm a undergraduate of engineering field.  Do you think there is any opportunity to get offer from a University in U.S. or Canada?
作者: iamzhangjun    时间: 2005-11-22 23:40:04

sure, one of graduate from our PHD program was from engineering field,  she is teaching in OSU now..
作者: samonzhang    时间: 2005-11-23 16:01:52

What you think is the most important characterisic of such a student?
作者: iamzhangjun    时间: 2005-11-26 13:24:44

combine the strength in understanding communication field from technical perspectives and develop fresh understanding on communication...
作者: samonzhang    时间: 2005-11-26 17:43:49

I;ll try to work it out.
Thank you very much.
作者: 黔灵叶子    时间: 2006-2-9 19:10:56

HI ,看了你的建议受益匪浅。
我想我是更偏爱实践领域的,如PR,MARKETING ETC.不知您对NYU的情况是否了解,可否介绍一下。包括奖学金,以及具体对GT,RL,PS,GPA的要求,这些我在学校网站上没有明确查到。
我现在还是一名大三学学生,准备明年秋季入学,有过一些社会实践和实习的经历。没有工作经历在申请MA时是否会有影响呢?
如果有在OGILVY实习的经历会申请到好学校德PROGRAM及奖学金吗?
FURTHERMORE,您说MA在美国很难找工作,是置身对中国人而言还是行业的问题?

谢谢
作者: 北一轻    时间: 2006-2-11 21:14:56

NYU说的很清楚,外国人是不给奖学金的,自费,学费挺高的,在纽约那地方一年全算下来至少5万美圆.当然比哥大强了,哥大的一些项目是外国人一律不要...还有了PR ,MARKETING这些是MS不是MA,好不好找工作我不清楚.不过新闻出来找到工作的可能性基本为0.文化差异啊..现在美国的传媒行业也不景气,.回国也不好找工作.奥美的实习是好,估计也不会给你带来太大的优势.学这些很商业的东西奖学金概率是很小的...
BTW.我准备以后申请NYU...
作者: Namtso    时间: 2006-2-11 23:51:51

楼上的,不了解情况就别乱说

[ 本帖最后由 Namtso 于 2006-2-11 23:53 编辑 ]
作者: 北一轻    时间: 2006-2-12 00:11:43

我说NYU的RP专业啊...网站是这么说的..
俺没去过纽约.俺只是道听途说而已.
关于新闻的国外就业是听MSU的PROFESSOR LI说的...
关于回国的就业.一般混记者,国内也没什么好的英文媒体了.想做外派
一般都是从内部了。
国内的新闻的体制...什么样的能混进去混好.凡是工作过的都应该了解....
作者: moria's cake    时间: 2006-4-8 22:13:07     标题: well informed!!

i am going to MSU pursuing master degree of advertising, how is the job market in US for my major?

If i am going to transfer to PHD or Master of communication, would it be difficult? since i have also applied to master of comm after i applying to master of advertising, yet the grad office asked me to take the admission of advertising if i stil want to apply for ma of comm. At that point, i wantted to play safe , then i withdraw my application to comm. ....alas, i still want to pursue my research in comm....so , my plan was to transfer to ma of comm a year or even soon after i arriving there. is it possible?
作者: sophia33    时间: 2006-4-21 22:47:46

看得绝望了。。。
作者: irislili    时间: 2006-4-22 01:33:13

UW education有一个教授研究international doctoral student career development的,跟踪500多个样本十多年,最后出来的结果,humanity major的doctoral student理想职业排第一的是government,nonprofit和business related field,第二是research insitute tenure track。

做研究很苦很累,很多人40多岁才拿到tenure,一定要自己喜欢,enjoy才乐在其中。

关于找工作,我来美也有半年,申请等待的时候亦有关注,后来也找到了自己比较喜欢的一份工作。但是权衡的时候,我还是觉得念这个PhD对自己提高蛮大,业界的联系多了,项目经验积累了之后,眼界也会很宽。

总之,tenure不是PhD的唯一出路,事在人为,正反两方面的信息多多搜集,自己想清楚就好。
作者: iamzhangjun    时间: 2006-4-22 02:32:52     标题: good points

well, you obviously make a really good point here. however, it really depends on what you study. if you go to business or management PHD, it could have a better choice than tenure track. also it also depends on your previous background. if you have a couple years background in consulting. you could also go for consulting area.

The issue I am trying to make here. if you dont go for tenure, why you get PHD. A master level student is enough for the position out side of academia. (I can not include all PHD area in this case, but in most case, it is ture.)  You will put 2-3 years more than a master did and get the same position and payment with them, and you will probably will be excluded from some of opportunity that is offered to master level.

Also the goal of PHD in most school is to form a strong scholars, so the approach of education is to pursue that goal. it is totally different from practical way. (well, some of area like economics would be a little different case.)  

I agree that PHD study could enable you to know more people in this industry, well in most case is the people  from academia. of course you will get deeper understanding of certain area, but PHD is to prove your understanding, instead of implement your understanding in the business, which is the crucial different from B school and L school...and master level education.

well, acturally I think I hold a very negative view, and I hope the reality is different from what I perceived so far. Hope my understanding is totally wrong.
作者: csulm001    时间: 2007-1-30 02:01:46     标题: 回复 #4 蜗牛爬爬爬 的帖子

i totally agree with u
作者: phenix1cn    时间: 2007-1-30 20:33:06

But why?I want travel whole world!I want take a PH.D degree in U.S.

欢迎光临 寄托家园留学论坛 (https://bbs.gter.net/) Powered by Discuz! X2