帖子

Economist 商学院

楼主
发表于 2016-2-18 17:48:21 |显示全部楼层
梦亦无痕 发表于 2016-2-18 08:18
就Part III 我谈谈自己的了解和感受:
1. 项目的名望大,是世界上最古老的项目,项目本身培养了许多顶尖的 ...

6. may be in three prespective:
I/ It is Cambridge, and it is Cambridge.
II/ It is a super solid mathematics program. The industry always want applicants with strong mathematics ability, and that's why it is good.
III/ The short coming of it is........not practical. Even though it has sufficient course in stochastic, PDE, prob and stat course, but those are theoretical foundation course which are excellent for preparation of research (i.e. PhD), rather than practical course that covers various models used in the practice.

and thus it really depends. If the firm / division has the resource, and willing the train one up, then such a super solid math program can be a very good one.
If they want to someone to be on the job as soon as possible, then it is very likely that they will prefer someone that had read more financial mathematics (e.g. Oxford MSc CMF, IC Fina Math training will be better for that)

P.S. RE OP: Location is not a concern for Cambridge, nor Paris. Close enough to London.

使用道具 举报

声望
寄托币
注册时间
2014-3-6
精华
帖子

Economist 商学院

沙发
发表于 2016-2-18 17:55:24 |显示全部楼层
本帖最后由 cheesechan 于 2016-2-19 00:06 编辑

1. PhD. I will say all the three program are good for PhD application. It is only about which one is better........and normally this depends more on you own rather than the school.
But amount these three, I will say Cambridge will be the best if one wanna go US later.

2. Any historical data / quota of the M1 ---> M2 Prob and Fina in Pair VI? This can be very competitive.
(I once read that there are only 3 quota for HEC+X M1 QEF to X+UPMC M2 Prob & Fina.)
If taking this risk into account, I will say ETH+UZH or Cambridge is a much better choice, as ETH should be of similar level with Paris 6 in quantitative finance, and Cambridge Part III is Cambridge Part III.

3. Visa is difficult in Switzerland. I won't say it is impossible as I saw a few successful cases, but it will surely be a hard time. Prepare to be in Frankfurt, or fighting for positions in London. ETH is very well regarded in the quant related division.

4. Tuition is not a problem for ETH too.
Be ready for a living expense similar level to London if you are in Zurich. Paris should be slightly lower. No idea about Cambridge.

使用道具 举报

声望
寄托币
注册时间
2014-3-6
精华
帖子

Economist 商学院

板凳
发表于 2016-2-19 00:05:04 |显示全部楼层
本帖最后由 cheesechan 于 2016-2-19 00:27 编辑
alwaysgt 发表于 2016-2-18 23:54
谢谢前辈~
Probability and Finance 的申请难度我问了一下负责老师,老师说这个项目“very selective”, ...

When the professors are telling you something is very selective, but good student shouldn't be worried, this means that it is really competitive, especially the toppest math students in France can be very top.

Go Cambridge or ETHZ if you have the choice.

P.S.1 No one stop you from applying Paris 6 M2 Prob & Fina after Cambridge Part III........at the end you also spend 2 years.
P.S.2 But if you are able to get Cambridge Part III.......I guess you may be more interested in Oxford or IC in sense of working.
P.S.3 Suggest you to read the placement record of ETHZ MS QF. It is the most detailed one over the world.

使用道具 举报

RE: 数学ms求比较(想学金融数学) [修改]
您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 立即注册

问答
Offer
投票
面经
最新
精华
转发
转发该帖子
数学ms求比较(想学金融数学)