2003-2-12
精华
帖子

Aquarius水瓶座 荣誉版主

跳转到指定楼层
楼主
发表于 2005-7-11 13:28:37 |只看该作者 |倒序浏览
Boyjim之GRE写作AW修辞的运用
应用修辞是让我们的语言更富于形象性,当我们运用不同的词汇,不管高级还是低级,修辞的运用将会比普通的词汇更有文学层面上的意义,从修辞中我们可以增加想要说明的效果,创造更有暗示性的景象,并且不动声色的为自己的水平加分。
针对GRE的写作,我们在常用的26种修辞中应用的并不多,来来去去的不过十几种常用的。下面,我们来看看26种修辞。
1) Simile:(明喻)It is a figure of speech which makes a comparison between two unlike elements having at least one quality or characteristic in common. To make the comparison, words like as, as...as, as if and like are used to transfer the quality we associate with one to the other.
For example, As cold waters to a thirsty soul, so is good news from a far country.

2) Metaphor:(暗喻)It is like a simile, also makes a comparison between two unlike elements, but unlike a simile, this comparison is implied rather than stated.
For example, the world is a stage.
以上两种的喻类修辞比较简单,在运用的时候想到什么适合的本体和喻体就可以进行”喻”。

3) Analogy: (类比)It is also a form of comparison, but unlike simile or metaphor which usually uses comparison on one point of resemblance, analogy draws a parallel between two unlike things that have several common qualities or points of resemblance.
类比的学习最好的老师就是Argument,阿狗里面的false analogy类比很多都是我们钻牛角尖的找出来的,但是,实际上我们很多的情况下再无话可说的时候都可以运用类比,比如说,我们在讨论政府职能的时候,假如我们不了解政府职能,我们可以从我们了解的组织谈起,比如我们可以讨论班级,学校,公司,或者一些大型小型组织,从一个具体的问题到另一个问题而避免谈一些不熟悉的问题。具体的陈述可以如下开展类似:
When comes to the issue of empowerment
1. This point can be better illustrated by comparing a class(你熟悉的) with a business(你不熟悉的). 然后business bla bla…
2.Teachers who possess power and exert it to conduct class play a similar role as business managers do. 然后,只讨论课堂不讨论商业了
例如~
Student who is granted/ given/ empowered/ endowed….. are more motivated… power are not rightly supervised and restricted and the class get out of control will lead to/ result in/ turn into/ prove to be flop/ fiasco/ blunder/failure/ catastrophe….
3. Elaborate a class进行详细的class描写
4. 点睛之笔 So is a business.类比其实就是某种层面上的跑题,大部分的跑题是无意识的,但是我们要让这种有目的的跑题为我们的文章服务,这就是学习类比修辞的意义所在。

4) Personification: (拟人)It gives human form of feelings to animals, or life and personal attributes(赋予) to inanimate(无生命的) objects, or to ideas and abstractions(抽象).
For example, the wind whistled through the trees.

5) Hyperbole: (夸张) It is the deliberate use of overstatement or exaggeration to achieve emphasis.
For instance, he almost died laughing.

6) Understatement: (含蓄陈述) It is the opposite of hyperbole, or overstatement. It achieves its effect of emphasizing a fact by deliberately(故意地) understating it, impressing the listener or the reader more by what is merely implied or left unsaid than by bare statement.
For instance, It is no laughing matter.

7) Euphemism: (委婉) It is the substitution of an agreeable or inoffensive(无冒犯) expression for one that may offend or suggest something unpleasant.
For instance, we refer to "die" as " pass away".

8) Metonymy (转喻) It is a figure of speech that has to do with the substitution of the mane of one thing for that of another.
For instance, the pen (words) is mightier than the sword (forces).

9) Synecdoche (提喻) It is involves the substitution of the part for the whole, or the whole for the part.
For instance, they say there's bread and work for all. She was dressed in silks.

10) Antonomasia (换喻)It has also to do with substitution. It is not often mentioned now, though it is still in frequent use.
For example, Solomon for a wise man. Daniel for a wise and fair judge. Judas for a traitor.
上面的几种修辞手法我们有时候在不经意的时候就用了,刻意的去构思有时候反而想不到,而一般非英语专业的同学也不必每种修辞手法都详细了解并学习。

11) Pun: (双关语) It is a play on words, or rather a play on the form and meaning of words.
For instance, a cannon-ball took off his legs, so he laid down his arms. (Here "arms" has two meanings: a person's body; weapons carried by a soldier.)
我特别喜欢双关~先来看
---Where is Washington ?
---He's dead.
---I mean, the capital of the United States.
---They loaded it all to Europe.
---Now do you promise to support the constitution?
---Me? How can I? I've got a wife and five children to support .

上面这则幽默据说是在美国大选登记时,对选民的口头测试。明显当中运用了一系列的双关语:Washington既指美国首都,又指美国第一任总统;
Capital 兼有"资本"和"首都"之意;
Support既是"支持"又是"抚养"。
可见这里双关语运用的恰当好处,既体现了幽默感,又讽刺了美国的政治。

那到底什么是双关语呢?(Pun)

Pun也称Paranomasia,一词源于拉丁语paronomazein,意为"to call by a difficult name"(以不同的名称称呼)。双关语是一种(play on words),它利用Homographic Pun"语义双关"或Homophonic Pun"谐音双关"的词或词组以达到诙谐幽默的效果。它是英语中常见的一种幽默形式。如果能够恰当的运用双关,考官的会心一笑将为你赢得巨大的好感!
就像Webster's New World Dictionary中对它的定义:the humorous use of word, or of words which are formed or sounded alike but have different meanings, in such a way as to play on two or more of the possible applications.

而Cambridge International Dictionary索性直接表明就是play on words文字游戏-------an amusing use of word of phrase that has two meanings, or of words with the same sound but different meanings.

显然在现代英语中, pun的确已被归纳为一种幽默的修辞方式。随处可见用pun串成的笑话。可我今天还想浅谈一些,关于William Shakespeare作品中pun修辞格的运用。
莎翁的文学造诣,令人叹为观止。对pun的运用也是独具匠心的。

William Shakespeare: Romeo and Juliet

Not I, believe me. You have dancing shoes
With nimble (soul) soles ; I have a soul(sole) of lead
So stakes me to the ground. I cannot move.

注意:"Sole" & "soul"是可以转化的
译一:我实在不能跳了,
你们都有轻快的舞鞋。
我只有一个像铅一样重的灵魂,
把我的身体紧紧的钉在地上,使我不能动弹。

译二:我实在不能跳了,
你们都有轻快的舞鞋。
我只有一个像铅一样重的舞鞋,

译三:我实在不能跳了,
你们都有的舞鞋,且心情轻松
我虽有舞鞋,但心情沉重。

Attention: 其实每种译法都有异曲同工之妙。

William Shakespeare: The Merchant of Venice
这段主要讲:夏洛克要从违约的安东尼奥身上割去一磅肉而磨刀时的对白。

Not on the sole , but on the soul , harsh Jew,
Thou mak'st thy knife keen.

狠心的犹太人,你不是在鞋口上磨刀,
而是把刀放到你的心口上磨。

When a woman complained to her butcher that his sausage tasted like meat at one end, and but bread at the other, he replied,"Madam , in the times like these, no butcher can make both ends meat ."

这里的pun 主要集中表现在最后一句,make both ends meat.(两头都是肉)和to make both ends meet(收支平衡)谐音。看到了吧!~正印了中国有句古话"无奸不商",哈哈
He denounces that stand-pat advice, he knows George Bush is getting from subordinates, "I told you,' you got a bad case of AIDS ''" says Holms. "A-I-D-E-S." 先捉摸琢磨吧,搞笑在哪里!~

12) Syllepsis: (一语双叙) It has two connotations.
In the first case, it is a figure by which a word, or a particular form or inflection of a word, refers to two or more words in the same sentence, while properly applying to or agreeing with only on of them in grammar or syntax(句法).
For example, He addressed you and me, and desired us to follow him. (Here us is used to refer to you and me.)
In the second case, it a word may refer to two or more words in the same sentence.
For example, while he was fighting , and losing limb and mind, and dying, others stayed behind to pursue education and career. (Here to losing one's limbs in literal; to lose one's mind is figurative, and means to go mad.)

13) Zeugma: (轭式搭配) It is a single word which is made to modify or to govern two or more words in the same sentence, wither properly applying in sense to only one of them, or applying to them in different senses.
For example, The sun shall not burn you by day, nor the moon by night. (Here noon is not strong enough to burn)
上面的三种包括双关~都需要平时积累大量的双意词汇~大家可以在练作文的巧妙的构思文章的句子,当大家学会一次运用的时候~后面的运用可以模仿~最后自己的例句烂熟于心~最后考场上假如遇到类似的而又有恰当的环境~写上去就大功告成了

14) Irony: (反语) It is a figure of speech that achieves emphasis by saying the opposite of what is meant, the intended meaning of the words being the opposite of their usual sense.
For instance, we are lucky, what you said makes me feel real good.
反语需要我们的观点清晰并且能够让读者看出你反的是什么,假如自己都被弄懵了~别人更加不用看懂了~反语的运用我们更多的在口语~而且在AW这种分析性写作中~用到反语我们就显得非常主观~和讽刺的意味是一样地~一般不建议用
当然也有用的好的例子

He is a fool. He never knows where his personal interest lies. His whole heart is concerned about the interest of other people. 明贬实褒~ 文学性较强的散文多用

15) Innuendo: (暗讽) It is a mild form of irony, hinting in a rather roundabout (曲折)way at something disparaging(不一致) or uncomplimentary(不赞美) to the person or subject mentioned.
For example, the weatherman said it would be worm. He must take his readings in a bathroom.

16) Sarcasm: (讽刺) It Sarcasm is a strong form of irony. It attacks in a taunting and bitter manner, and its aim is to disparage, ridicule and wound the feelings of the subject attacked.
For example, laws are like cobwebs, which may catch small flies, but let wasps break through.
讽刺的运用能够很好的增加文章批判的效果~但是~就好像希拉克在巴黎申奥落败的前几天讽刺英国菜一样~讽刺是一把双刃剑~个人的成见会显露无遗

17) Paradox: (似非而是的隽语) It is a figure of speech consisting of a statement or proposition which on the face of it seems self-contradictory, absurd or contrary to established fact or practice, but which on further thinking and study may prove to be true, well-founded, and even to contain a succinct point.
For example more haste, less speed.
不建议用~比较难~对此也没有多少大的研究~

18) Oxymoron: (矛盾修饰) It is a compressed paradox, formed by the conjoining(结合) of two contrasting, contradictory or incongruous(不协调) terms as in bitter-sweet memories, orderly chaos(混乱) and proud humility(侮辱).
这个相信是我除了排比以外最喜欢的一种修辞了!在这个网站有大量的例子: http://www.oxymoronlist.com/
个人用的比较多的是sweet misery (Michelle Branch的一首歌)~ a living death(形容社会上的某些人)~ cruel kindness(得到总是伴随着代价)~ true lie(加州州长的名作~真实的谎言~用以形容某些问题的某些观点~) daydream/ day sleeper (REM的一首歌~用以形容你反对观点的支持者~毒)~ 还有很多在6G的时候用过~ 不过现在都忘记了~呼呼~
正确的运用这种修辞的小词~能够给人意想不到的效果

19) Antithesis: (对照) It is the deliberate arrangement of contrasting words or ideas in balanced structural forms to achieve emphasis.
For example, speech is silver; silence is golden.

20) Epigram: (警句) It states a simple truth pithily(有利地) and pungently(强烈地). It is usually terse and arouses interest and surprise by its deep insight into certain aspects of human behavior or feeling.
For instance, Few, save the poor, feel for the poor.

21) Climax: (渐进) It is derived from the Greek word for "ladder" and implies the progression of thought at a uniform or almost uniform rate of significance or intensity, like the steps of a ladder ascending evenly.
For example, I came, I saw, I conquered.

22) Anti-climax or bathos: (突降)It is the opposite of Climax. It involves stating one's thoughts in a descending order of significance or intensity, from strong to weak, from weighty to light or frivolous.
For instance, But thousands die, without or this or that, die, and endow(赋予) a college, or a cat.
上面两个的更多和排比对称押运联系在一起~那样的效果更好

23) Apostrophe: (顿呼) In this figure of speech, a thing, place, idea or person (dead or absent) is addressed as if present, listening and understanding what is being said.
For instance, England! awake! awake! awake!
少用~

24) Transferred Epithet: (转类形容词) It is a figure of speech where an epithet (an adjective or descriptive phrase) is transferred from the noun it should rightly modify(修饰) to another to which it does not really apply or belong.
For instance, I spent sleepless nights on my project.

25) Alliteration: (头韵) It has to do with the sound rather than the sense of words for effect. It is a device that repeats the same sound at frequent intervals(间隔) and since the sound repeated is usually the initial consonant sound, it is also called "front rhyme".
For instance, the fair breeze blew, the white foam flew, the furrow followed free.
押运需要自己的归纳总结~否则永远是记不住学不会的~这也是我非常喜欢的修辞方法~连续的辞放在一起会有很强烈的效果~我经常用的主要有
Eminent, prominent and preeminent 用以形容某件事情或者某个人的优秀
Diversely, differently, distinctively and distinguishingly 用以形容两件事物的差别之巨大
Occasional, accidental and coincidental 用以形容某件事情的发生实在是小概率事件~不能支持论点~阿狗也可以用~不过最好不要把阿狗弄得文学性太过强烈
逆用有时候也非常有效果~最常用的包括relevant or irrelevant/ directly or indirectly/
To kill or to cure~ 形容双刃剑的时候~一个事物的两方面的时候可用
这个是我见过的最漂亮的押运之一
This is mainly sacred preach rather than secular practice~
大家自己体会一下这其中的押运吧!两个形容词和名词分别押运~效果不是一般的好~是我在NYtimes看到的~后来在庄子老师的文章里也见过

26) Onomatopoeia: (拟声) It is a device that uses words which imitate the sounds made by an object (animate or inanimate), or which are associated with or suggestive(提示的) of some action or movement.
对于排比为什么我没有放进来~主要是排比的作用在AW作用非常巨大~起着有效充数~增加文采~增强气势等等使命~待日后我在慢慢谈~

[ Last edited by boyjim on 2005-7-11 at 13:33 ]
已有 1 人评分寄托币 收起 理由
陈星君 + 1 谢谢分享

总评分: 寄托币 + 1   查看全部投币

回应

使用道具 举报

声望
寄托币
注册时间
2004-9-2
精华
帖子

荣誉版主

沙发
发表于 2005-7-11 13:31:53 |只看该作者
好多啊……

有些感觉用不好,所以从来不会去用……比如头韵……

使用道具 举报

声望
寄托币
注册时间
2003-2-12
精华
帖子

Aquarius水瓶座 荣誉版主

板凳
发表于 2005-7-11 13:34:17 |只看该作者
Originally posted by 11yaoyao at 2005-7-11 13:31
好多啊……

有些感觉用不好,所以从来不会去用……比如头韵……

头韵我用的最多

使用道具 举报

声望
寄托币
注册时间
2005-1-25
精华
帖子

Capricorn摩羯座 荣誉版主

地板
发表于 2005-7-11 13:37:07 |只看该作者
Jim是这方面的高手~~
Love, is always a star in the foggy dawn......

寄托博客:爱似晨星

使用道具 举报

声望
寄托币
注册时间
2004-9-2
精华
帖子

荣誉版主

发表于 2005-7-11 13:39:03 |只看该作者
很羡慕的说

头韵用不好就重复了,要不就是尾音不够美,感觉实在不舒服,很少用,不过现在管不了那么多了