声望
寄托币
注册时间
2003-2-13
精华
帖子

荣誉版主

发表于 2003-12-28 00:14:41 |只看该作者
120 Decisions can be made quickly, or they can be made after careful thought. Do you agree or disagree with the following statement? The decisions that people make quickly are always wrong. Use reasons and specific examples to support your opinion.

In our normal life, we can’t avoid making any decisions in any minutes or hours. Right or wrong decision was made would affect the outcome of the issue. Sometimes it will arise a large impact. However, I disagree the way people say: the decisions that people make quickly are always wrong.

One of the reasons is: people have to make quick decisions at the crucial time if necessary. For example: for 11th September issue, the passenger flights were driven by the terrorists, who were going to crash into any other areas after two flights had crashed into the World Trade Centre. At that time, president has to make a quick and right decision to shoot down the attacking flights for security and safety reasons. This decision saves enormous loss and thousands of people’s lives, which we couldn’t imagine or count.

Another reason is: many industries require people to make quick decisions because of the workload and demands. Like in the stock market, prices change so frequently that people almost can’t have a breath. No matter dealer or buyer, if he can’t make up his mind in a few minutes or seconds, someone else will get it. But this doesn’t mean the quick decision they made is wrong.

From these two points, we can see we can judge something or someone in one way or one side. Everything is relative, not absolute. Do you think so?
----------------------------------
Avoid such (i.e., one like yours) a rhetorical question in your conclusion.

I totall disagree with the statement that decisions that people make immediately are always wrong.  Some decisions need to be made after careful thought, while some decisions have to be made immediately due to the limit of time.  

In the reallife, people don't always have enough time to think about what kind of decisions they need to make and how many options they have in order to reach the optimum result.  Time does restrain people from making decision after careful of thought.  The first case happens in the stock exchange market.  The price of stock changes every minute, even every second.  The brokers need to make immediate decision to buy or sell.  If they spend a long time on making decision, they will lose chance to make a lot of money, the stocks will never be available when they make final decisions.  Even though quick decisions might make brokers to lose some money, but there are still 50% chance to make much money.  If they don't make a quick decision and miss the chance, they will never make money.  So from this case, we can conclude that immediate decisions are not always wrong.
  Another case comes from sports.  During the soccer game, the team members usually have been assigned duties and given strategies before the game by the coaches.  But during the last 5 minutes, two teams have the same score, one of team must win this game so that they are eligible to attend the semi-final, at the same time the coach of this team has no more chance to give his team member more suggestions. Therefore, the team members need to change their old strategies on their own so that they will have chance to win.  But if members take more time than 5 minutes to make decision, they might make a best decision, but this best decision won't work at all since time is up.  They will absolutely lose the chance to win.  However, if they make a quick decision, it is very possible for them to win this game and get into the semi-final.
  From the above two cases, we can conclude that the statement that decisions that people make immediately are always wrong is not right.  Sometimes people need to take the chance to make decision immediately so that they can gain something instead of completely losing.

People make decisions everyday in their day-to-day activities. Some people make decisions quickly while others carefully think before making a decision. In opinion decisions can be made either quickly or after careful thought depending on the situation or circumstance a person finds himself.i don’t agree with the point that The decisions that people make quickly are always wrong.  I will try to prove my point by the following ideas.

A person should not take long time in deciding what to eat, where to eat or what movie to see etc. People should figure out these quickly. People should take decisions about their day to day decisions like what dress to wear for work, or what to cook for lunch or dinner etc. quickly. Apart from the day-to-day activities a person should take decision quickly in certain circumstances like some tragedy etc. under such circumstances they should decide quickly after thinking fast.

But there are certain situations when a person should take decision after careful thought decisions like what he / she wants to do in life or what to study, which field to major or in which field he/she wants to work .Then there are decisions like choosing a life partner. This is one of the most important decision of his/her life .So a person should first think thoroughly what he wants and he should also take in into consideration all the pros and cons of the situation as a result of the decision that he made. But I believe that after taking a decision he should not regret the decision.

So in the end I conclude that people should take decisions either quickly or after careful thought depending on the situation or circumstance a person finds himself.  Decisions taken quickly are not always wrong. I  believe that a person takes the best decision under the circumstances that he/she is in.
--------------------------------------------
Incorrect punctuation lowers your score.
Maybe all in your mind
Perhaps that we all died, say, years ago
Now what do you have left
Future dreams of passion plays and dancing people
All, so, lonely

使用道具 举报

声望
寄托币
注册时间
2003-2-13
精华
帖子

荣誉版主

发表于 2003-12-28 00:16:31 |只看该作者
121 Some people trust their first impressions about a person’s character because they believe these judgments are generally correct. Other people do not judge a person’s character quickly because they believe first impressions are often wrong. Compare these two attitudes. Which attitude do you agree with? Support your choice with specific examples.

About judging a person’s character, there’re some different attitudes. Some people believe that their judgements about a person’s character through their first impressions is correct. The others think that a quick judgement is often wrong. I am for the second attitude. I can’t tell you about one person’s character just after my first meet him. Only after a long time making friend with hime, can I know whether he is a good or bad person.

Not all the people are born in this world have good appearances. Maybe one person have slanting eyes. And when we first meet him, we can’t say that he is blackguardly due to his eyes. That’s because everyone can’t make their own appearance. On the contrary, some people are quite looking, we can have good impression when we first meet them. We are attracted by their beauty. But the fact is that they are not always good people. Some even make use of their appearance to cheat other people around them. The history especially Chiness history can prove that fact. As you can remember, there were many beautiful women who made the King madly in love with and then it is those women who control the powers of the country, not the King. Therefore, we can’t judge any person by their appearance.

Moreover, we can’t judge a person by one’s behaviour because that judgement is not always right. Let me tell you my story. I’m a short-sighted person bur I rarely wear my glasses. Therefore, when I passed by a friend of mine, I even didn’t realise her. That made my friend misunderstand and think that I’m a self-satisfied person and that I even don’t respect the other people around me. It’s very unreasonable for me. Moreover, there are some people who are very polite, gallant, and treat you very good. But in fact, you don’t know what they are thinking and why do they treat you like that. Only after a long time being friends, can you know mostly your one’s character.

To summerize, maybe you have good sense in judging one person’s character through your first impressions. And maybe in most cases, you are right. But never believe your sense one hundred per cent because you can’t be sure that your sense is always right. You should only give out your opinion about one’s character after knowing him or her for long.

Some people trust their first impressions about a person’s character because they believe these judgments are generally correct, while others do not judge a person’s character quickly because they believe first impressions are often wrong. In my opinion it is better to take some time before the final conclusion. The reason why it is better to take time in understanding a person is, because everything in the world is complex, and making decision quickly one can be wrong. So if one doesn’t want to be mistaken it is wiser to try to communicate with a person more before the right impression establishes.

The reason why people make sometimes their decision quickly, is because it is easier to decide then take some time and think impartially.  I remember being a child playing in kindergarten when our instructor came and said that we had a new student, called Katherine. Katherine was a very shy girl, and was afraid to play with us at the beginning. Children didn’t like shy kids, so nobody wanted to play with Katherine. As everyone I didn’t like Katherine either. She wasn’t with us for a long time, because her parents took her to a different kindergarten, and I would never see her again, if some day we didn’t move to a new area, and my parents needed to take me to a different school. At this time I was about 13 years old. I felt worried when I was following my new teacher to a new class. The teacher opened the door and introduced me to my new friends. This time I was very shy and was afraid to communicate with someone. Some days later I noticed a girl in my class who looked so alike to that new girl in my kindergarten, Katherine. She came to me and ask me if she had seen me before. After we spoke about our childhood and kindergartens we understood that we had seen each other at the same kindergarten. Since that day Katherine and I became intimates. For many years I hadn’t known a good friend just because of my first judge. It was a good lesson that I always carry with me.

To sum up, I would like to say that even it is not as easy to make as to say, but it is in ones interest to take some time judging a new person, so one never will regret having a quick decision.

I am not a good in “reading” people therefore I prefer not to judge a person’s character quickly because I believe first impressions are often wrong. But this attitude does not apply for everybody. I know persons who would trust their first impressions about one’s character and amazingly they are right.

As I stated before, I am often wrong in analyzing an individual’s personality based on the first glance impressions. Although I am prone to judge a person after my first meeting her/him, I rather wait and gather more information about that individual. Not being able to see beyond the appearance showed off by that person, I think it is better not to act nor make judgments about him/her quickly. But this attitude is something I observed that applies to me.
A good psychologist would probably trust their first judgments and this is perfectly normal as they are trained to be able to do this. Besides there is another category of persons who are gifted with a special sense of picturing one’s personality quickly, when they first meet each other.
My belief is that trusting the first effects one would have on us depends on our personal ability to understand that person’s character and process the information we get at first glance.
There are also situations when we have to take important decisions quickly and trust our first impressions, as we will not be given a second chance. These are the cases where not matter which attitude we usually adopt we have to go with our instinct.

It is hard to draw a conclusion declaring which of these attitudes is better. As I mentioned before, my understanding is that each of us should trust their inner guide and also to learn from previous experiences (as I did). And of course, we should not try to make a general rule in judging people, as situations we undergo are different.

A judgement for a person`s character is always something very delicate and quite complicated. There are people who are able to mislead almost anyone. Others are honest and naïve and unfortunately suffer from these in principal good qualities.
   In general, there are two types of people. The first type are the people who believe that the first impression is the right one. To be honest I like this attitude and fully agree with it. I believe that a true and objective judgement can be made only when you don`t know somebody, when you see him for the first time. In such a situation, people are more likely to be themselves than in any other. If you already know the person, you just couldn`t be impartial. Whether you like it or not, deep in your heart you already have a conviction about the person`s character. It`s just that sometimes, without any specific reason, we don`t like a person. But when we see him for the first time we have the opportunity to watch him talk to other people, see how he reacts, in order to get an impact of his real juice.
   The second type of people believe that the first impression is always wrong. According to their ideas, the more you get to know somebody, the best you can evaluate his personality. But that couldn`t be true. When you have already spent time with a given person, you already have some prejudices against him. Also, people often try to pretend to be someone they`re not and will never be, in order to impress somebody. In my opinion that is the risk of getting to know somebody and than evaluating his character.
   To be more concrete, I`d like to give an example. Suppose you are on a ball or some other kind of party let`s say. If we assume that you are a famous or a rich person, everybody would be interested in talking to you. But when they don`t know about you, they`ll act more naturally and you can see the real people. As soon as they understand who you are, they`ll immediately change their attitude, they`ll try to be someone else. That`s just human nature, it`s inevitable. So my point is that only the first impression is the real one..   
Avoid putting examples or important points in your conclusion; they belong in the body of the essay.

We meet strangers on a daily basis. We meet them when waiting for the bus, queueing up at the bank or even when having lunch at a restaurant. For most people, they often form an opinion on the people they meet the minute they meet. Their basis for this act is that 'first impression is always right'. Nonetheless, how true is this statement? Humans are complex creatures, thus, it is impossible to dissect them in just one minute. Therefore, though occassionally first impression may be right, most of the time they are not as knowing a person inside out is never an easy process.
      Shrek in 'Shrek' quoted "Just like onions, I have layers". So true is that remark that each layer is different from the other. Humans are like that too. We have feelings and emotions which not all of them are displayed in a single day. This in turn making the process of friendship a lengthy one. Therefore, to trust first impressions is obviously a silly act as human characters are only fully understood only after a certain period of time.  
      In addition to that, moods also play an important role when we judge a person. Humans, as we all know, have their ups and downs and this often affect their judgement if they are not able to control it. The same goes when judging another person. When the mood is right, we might see everybody around us as saints and angels who really make our day. However, imagine when we had a bad day at work, even the nice considerate waiter might seem pushy.
      Nevertheless, there could be another group of people who trust their instincts, and stand by it. These group might argue that first impressions are based on instincts, and as instincts are subconciously based on past experience, hence, first impressions are reliable. Their point is arguably true, but can anybody actually determine the amount of experience needed to ensure that the instinct is correct? Surely, nobody can.
       In conclusion, humans are the most complex animals on the face of the earth. Just as much as we like to believe that we all feel happy for the same joyous moments, feel pain for same suffering, the truth is, it is not so. This is because we have different characteristics that differ us from one another. Therefore, as the saying "never judge a book by its cover", we should not fully trust in first impressions as it is not only cruel, but also unfair to the person we judge.
Maybe all in your mind
All, so, lonely

使用道具 举报

声望
寄托币
注册时间
2003-2-13
精华
帖子

荣誉版主

发表于 2003-12-28 00:17:26 |只看该作者
122 Do you agree or disagree with the following statement? People are never satisfied with what they have; they always want something more or something different. Use specific reasons to support your answer.

What is development?I think the source of development is just that people always want better in every matter.If our ancestors had been satisfied with what they had, we would have been living in caves.I strongly support that people will always want better because it is our nature.

First of all if we look at the history, we see every invention basis on that people reject the current situation and always seek for more. For example I have a BMW which was produced last year,and I don't know exactly how many models of BMW were produced up to know.But every year a new model is presented to the market.Is it just because the new model has a lot of adventage or essential differences? No. Just because people want more. If this were not true, we would contınue to use our granfathers' cars. They were also moving.

Secodly, I think it is our nature to want more. All of us are used to seeing that a father carrying a lot of new toys to his child. Because a child quickly gets bothered with his toys. Remember your chidhood. For me the situation was that. Children ,in their behaviours , mostly depend on their nature,instincts. And they always want different things,toys. We can't escape from our nature ,we will look for differences every time.

To sum up, we will never be satisfied with what we have now. Is ıt bad? I don't think so.It is necessary for improvement. And it is our nature, we can't change this.
Incorrect punctuation lowers your score.

"People are never satisfied with what they have; they always want something more or something different." I would have to agree with that statement entirely. No matter how many goals we have or how many things we own, as human beings we always want more, need more. Our lives would not be full if we weren't that way. The statement above applies to many angles in our lives such as material wants and needs, emotions, the need of achievements and etc'. In this essay I will give different reasons as to why I agree to the above statement, using some of the angles to which it applies.

The dissatisfaction and the permanent need, and want starts in a very young age. Even while we are babies we want this toy, and that doll and no matter how many of them we have we always ask for more. Scientists say that when a baby is given a familiar toy, he will play with it, but after awhile he will get used to it and become less enthusiastic. While on the other hand when a baby is given a new toy, he will have to play with it for a couple of days, he will be very interested until again he will get accustomed to it and a new toy will take its place. Things that we don't own or didn't see before look more attractive to us than the ones that we have.

Once we grow older our goals become a little less material. A daughter or a son might want to get their mother's approval and their father's pride. They may achieve that with high marks and good behavior. Though some children will be in need for attention and do just the opposite. As children or teenagers we all know the feeling of a proud parent, the satisfaction that we feel after we saw a parent's proud smile. That makes us feel happy and right away we want to feel that again. We crave to be successful and happy first and for most for ourselves, and second is to make people, which we love, proud. And through the years that craving becomes stronger and with every goal we accomplish, we reach towards a higher target for the simple reason of feeling needed, taken pride in, and respected. And no matter how many goals we achieve, we will always persist on finding new ones just to accomplish them all over again.

Some people say that a rich person has everything. That is entirely untrue. A rich person might have a very large amount of money, but that only means he has a bigger chance of getting what he wants for money. That doesn't mean that, that person doesn't have any needs or wants beyond objects, which he can buy for money. That person may want to loose wait but never succeeds, or he may want to get that beautiful girl, but she goes only for looks and not for money. For that person the amount of time to be happy may be much longer then yours. The bigger amount of things we have the more amounts of them we want.

In my opinion life will not be worth living without goals. It would be unexciting and that is why we always want something more and something different from what we wanted before. Otherwise all of our goals will be accomplished; imagine your life without any wants or needs, imagine your life when you have everything you ever wanted… I think such life would be very boring and dull. If you have no goals you have nothing to do, you have nothing to want, you have everything. Why would you do something while your life is "perfect"? The fulfillment will fade away and you will start looking for something different which will bring you to a new goal. Humans cannot live without any ambitions. And that should be a fact.
Maybe all in your mind
All, so, lonely

使用道具 举报

声望
寄托币
注册时间
2003-2-13
精华
帖子

荣誉版主

发表于 2003-12-28 00:20:54 |只看该作者
123 Do you agree or disagree with the following statement? People should read only those books that are about real events, real people, and established facts. Use specific reasons and details to support your opinion.

Should peopele read only those books that are about real events, real people, and established facts? My answer is NO. Far more than the books which are related to real things, other books can reveal us an abundent world and teach us much useful ethics. There are several important aspects of those books which we can not neglect.

First, those books, say fictions, can bring us much fun. We are lucky enough to have so many kinds of fictions which can meet the standards of people at every age. In Canada, people, no matter old or young, reading a fiction while travelling and resting can be seen everywhere. As to me, mysterious fictions are most attractive. I was ever absorbed in reading a novel so much that I can hardly do any other things.

In addition, those fiction books can also afford us some truth and ethics in our life. For example, when we were children, we read stories of lovely animals and learned principles of life as well. As a whole, whichever fiction book betrays some value like love, morality, hatred and others which are derived from real life.

Finally, those fiction books are so abundent in amount that we can hardly neglect. We can not make the wildest guess on how many they are. It will be a great pity if one only choose those regarding to real things to read.

Those books describing real things should be of value to us readers. But besides them, those other books are also fortune which can bring us fun and ethics education.

For hundreds of years, books have always played an extremely important role in people'life. There are many kinds of books: from science books, fiction and non-fiction, novels to children'books, all of which help us further improve our overall knowlegde and raise our awareness about the values of our life. Though some people believe that it is only useful to read those books that are about real events, real people and established facts, in my opinion, such a statement is not so comprehensive. Everyone can find something helpful not only in those above books but also in many other ones. And I have several following reasons to support my point of views.
        Firstly, as I mentioned above, there are many kinds of books derserving to be read. All of them can help us much to improve our knowledge. While scientific books let us be known more about the world around us ( for example how the world was created and its development,...) and about basical sciencetific subjects such as maths, physics, chemistry, biology,.... novels ( though many times they are not based on real facts in daily life)  will help us understand much more deeply and universally  about  many kinds of people  around us . They also provide us valuable information about different cultures and civilizations in the world. By enjoying those novels, our cultural and spiritual life will be more and more abundant and fruitful. To many children, our next generation, fairy tale and legend stories are very important. With happy-endings as the good always defeat the bad and humane values are highly emphasized, those kinds of books actually help the children to build and define good behaviour and moral manner at their early age.        Secondly, true readers need not only those books that are about real events, real people. To them, many other books that tells abour unreal facts or foresee what may happen in the future  will help them to further strengthen their imaginative ability, to be able to invent new ideas, or simply help them have a leisure time after an exhausted working day.
        Last but not least,  I strongly believe that one man who reads not only scientific and history books but also  poems, fictions and non-scientific ones will have more comprenhensive knowledge and abudant spiritual life than those of one man who only like reading some books that tell the real facts and the real people.
        In general, in oder to become a true reader, you should try to read as many kinds of books as you have. The more you read, the more you gain progress for yourselves.

Books are an important part of many people's lives in the world today. With such a wide variety of topics that books are written on; they can be broadly classified into fiction and non-fiction. These two types each have their own merits and it would not be fair to only read about 'real events, real people' when there can be so much to learn from imaginary events and people.

Non-fiction has greater practical value in the 'real' world and the information gleaned can be applied intensely at home, at work or in school. Various topics of interest can be researched easily and a greater knowledge level can be obtained. Yet the disadvantage of non-fiction lies in the fact that nothing happens to excite the mind and spirit. In short, many people find these books 'boring' since only facts are provided. However well written the book may be, in the end it leaves little room for the imagination. Consequently this is an area where fiction excels.

With various stories on different characters, places, fantastical storylines and evil villains, the journey through fictional books can be one filled with adventure and excitement. The reader may be left with ideas that will serve in many areas. Fiction provides great scope for the mind to think creatively. In fact, many of books written to portray 'imaginary' events or characters can educate and send a subtle message through the book. This effective technique has been used successfully by a large number of writers.  Yet it is true that many people cease to enjoy fiction, as they grow older failing to see its importance in the world. This perspective is not entirely untrue because dragons, castles or evil aliens will not help an engineer in any way as it might help him spend the same time by reading about how a particular bridge was constructed in Germany.

Therefore, both non-fiction and fiction provide an equal number of opportunities for people to cultivate their mind. The best solution, it would seem is to read both fiction and non-fiction and have the best of both worlds.
Maybe all in your mind
All, so, lonely

使用道具 举报

声望
寄托币
注册时间
2003-2-13
精华
帖子

荣誉版主

发表于 2003-12-28 00:22:46 |只看该作者
124 Do you agree or disagree with the following statement? It is more important for students to study history and literature than it is for them to study science and mathematics. Use specific reasons and examples to support your opinion.

When students go to school they have the opportunity to study both literature and history as well as mathematics and science. When we come to check the importance of these fields for the student we probably come to the conclusion that history and literature are fields that contribute to our cloture, based on our past, reflects our preset and probably will have great influence on the future in political, cultural and different human issues. On the other hand, science and math' contribute to technology, the take humanity forward in terms of environmental, science, and other issues. But is one field more important for the student then the other?

In my opinion it is important for every student to study both fields in a basic level of education. It is important for everyone to widen the horizons and have a basic understanding of different areas of knowledge. We will be a healthier society if people will be knowledgeable about versus subjects.

Furthermore, studding different subjects may help students to detriment their fields of interests, as well as discovering their talents in certain areas. By studding both fields in a basic level, the students and their professors will be able to find out about talents and interests, and as a result will allow the student to focus and excel in one filed.

Later on, once the student knows his/her priorities it will be easier for him/her to chose there main interest for studies and by that contributing the most to there own interest, the profession and might be to society.

To sum up, my opinion on the question whether history and literature are more important then science and math for students, is that there is no filed that is important then the other, there both important. Each student has to find out what is the filed that interests him/her the most, and that he/she excels in. that way the student, the filed and society benefits the most.

Studying history and literature gives us the opportunity to know more of the world we live in... the struggles of our forefathers, and the way of thinking and living of people in the past.  On the other hand, science and mathematics has given us so much in terms of the many inventions, discoveries that have to give us the luxuries that we now enjoy.
So, saying that the study of one field than the other is more important would not be appropriate.

With history, we learn of the wars that our counrty had been to, the hardships and slow progression into the industrialized, democratic, free country that we now have.  As for literature, reading the writings of such great people as William Shakeaspeare would make us feel of how it was to live in their times.

On the contrary, science and mathematics have brought so much of the luxuries we now enjoy. Or rather, these discoveries are now necessities... for can one still bear being without electricity, perhaps not having air conditioning during a heat wave... or how about those people who have cardiac pacemakers to keep them alive?

In summary, history and literature as well as science and mathematics all play a major part in the existence of the world as we know it.  I therefore say the study of these fields of knowledge are of par importance.

Some people think it is more important for students to study history and literature than it is for them to study science and mathematics. I don't agree with this point of view.To students, it should be no bias when they choose their courses. Because by learning history and literature, they can not only master the social knowledge but also understand the world and their own countries; but by learning science and mathematics, they can acquire the scientific knowledge and do some research which will improve people's lives. So I advocate this viewpoint that students should study all kinds of knowledge with no bias.

On one hand, if students want to know social knowledge and understand the world and their own countries better, they need study history and literature very well. There is a good example, that is me.When I was a student, I thought the study of the latter was more important than that of the former, so I spent most time on them. However after I worked, the more people I contacted, the less knowledge I felt. Seldom, I could find a topic that was intriguing and I felt interested. It was difficult for me to talk with others deeply for this reason. I wished I could acquire more knowledge from them.

On the other hand, if students master the science and mathematics, they can benefit from them. For instance, because mathematics is an important method to other courses, it is always used to set up a model in order to solve problems. And having good scientific knowledge can help them live easily. When they encounter difficulties, they know what should do and how to do accurately. Even they can do some research and invent something to change people’s lives. Maybe they will become Einstein or Newton.

So from the above discussed, I draw a conclusion that either history and literature or science and mathematics are equally important for students. In order to merge into the society, they need to learn history and literature; in order to live and study better and easily, they need to learn science and mathematics.

In principal I strongly disagree with the statement that it is more important for students to study literature and history instead of mathematics and science. In today`s world mathematics and science are much more useful and important. Not only are they very, very interesting sciences to learn, but they are also essential. My favourite subject in school is mathematics.
   I believe mathematics is really something great- it develops and provokes the logic and thinking of the people who make an effort to study it. Mathematics is not only numbers like most of the people believe. It is a whole science, one of the greatest, deserving all the respect in the world. Whoever says that mathematics is something with no sense, can`t barely understand it. In my opinion, mathematics should be the most studied school subject, because it is important to make the students think, not only learn by heart lessons they hardly understand.
   Physics is my other favourite subject. Why is it important? I`ll tell you- it just gives answers to most of the questions about the world we are living in. The basic knowledge in physics is obligatory. That is the science which explains the nature processes, gives us information about important devices for the medicine for example.
   Of course, I don`t underestimate the importance of history and literature. These are things for the common culture of every person. It is good to have an idea of the famous writers, to read books. Literature is an interesting thing, I like it too.
   As far as history is concerned, I don`t like it much. To me it is just a range of unproved assumptions, which are a subject to different speculative interpretations. Maybe I`m not right, but this is how I feel things. Still it is not possible not to learn history. It is always useful to know what has probably happened in your country`s history.
   For some students though, it is more interesting to study literature and history, that is why I believe they have to be given a chance to study what they are interested in. There should be different schools for different students. Otherwise there is no point.   
   I can give an example with two excellent students- the one was good in literature, the other in mathematics. The big difference was that the one that was good in mathematics had the ability to reason. Unfortunately the other girl could only make an analysis of a literature text in a definite pattern- nothing else. That is why I still think that mathematics is the more useful science...
----------------------------------------
Avoid putting examples or important points in your conclusion; they belong in the body of the essay.

It has long been a controversy amongst critics and students in the majors of the sciences and arts as to which subjects would be more beneficial to study. While science students claim that its field of study involves intellectual ability, art students feel that the understanding and study of art is far richer in its importance, chiefly in its influence through the evolution of human history. I conclude that a balance in the knowledge of both the subjects is essential, the reasons of which I will lay down.

Science and math subjects are intellectually rewarding in that they teach the understanding of theories that improve humans’ living standards, such as research conducted in universities and science laboratories to enhance the lives of human beings with vaccines constantly being researched, produced and tested for incurable diseases. Without such a study, the world would be in serious trouble of poor health and living standards. Every theory that is founded would have been tried and tested to prove its success, concluding how the study of science and math subjects requires intellectual capabilities in its challenging field. While it is essential that the study of the sciences and math continues to ensure a healthy living environment, it is also important that a science student receives adequate education in the arts subjects to develop an artistic side of his life.

A distinct culture of the arts student is his detailed and subjective approach toward a subject which he has particular interests and talent. It is the beauty of life amidst all the things that could be explained by a science student and a mystery to study. While history had taken place, the study of human evolution is equally beneficial in developing a knowledgeable individual. It helps enhance an individual's life in the ability to appreciate the beauty that life comes bundled in.

In conclusion to my opinion, it is essential to have a balance in the study of arts and science subjects as they complement an individual's life with knowledge and facts and the ability to appreciate the beauty of life, with god's gifts of music, literature and art.
Maybe all in your mind
All, so, lonely

使用道具 举报

声望
寄托币
注册时间
2003-2-13
精华
帖子

荣誉版主

发表于 2003-12-28 00:24:37 |只看该作者
125 Do you agree or disagree with the following statement? All students should be required to study art and music in secondary school. Use specific reasons to support your answer.

I believe that all students should be required to study art and music in secondary school. Secondary school is important in the education life of people, since it is the time that the future of a person is shaped.
During this time, a student tries to figure out what he or she will do in the future. Technical education is necessary to shape the mind of the person, but art and music are also reguired to shape the soul of him or her.
Giving more importance to the one side without improving the other side can cause big problems. For example, a person may be very good at mathematics, but it does not mean that he/she will not be successful on music or art. If we do not give him or her a chance to learn about this subjects as well, we may lose a great composer or an architect of the future. This person may still be successful in his/her job, but may not be very happy. Therefore, art and music education in the earlier school life of a person enable us to discover great talents in this area.  
Furthermore, students gain a hobby and spend their spare times effectively by the education in these areas.  Since they do not only study lessons, they will become more social as well.
Because of the reasons mentioned above, I think that art and music education is not a supporter for the education, but it is a must for successful and happy generations.

I don't think that all students should be required to study art and music in secondary school for the following reasons.
Nowadays students have things to study more than before. For example, it is essential to study information technology, especially internet. They should learn typing and other functions and how deal with moral and security problems related internet.  Moreover, because such technology made it possible to for people all over the world communicate and exchange information, people are more and more going and coming to other countries. It means that we have to learn not only history, politics and culture in our own country but also those of other countries to get along with other nations. To compare with old days students need to devote their time to learn such relationships between countries. Arts and music are less important than those.
Secondly, thanks for becoming a industrial society, in case of Japan, we can see arts and listen many kind of music at many places. When I go to department stores, they always have exhibitions of arts and often held music concerts. Even if students learn arts and music in secondary school, they have a lot of opportunity to see and experience them and surely exports of them are there.
Last, sometimes arts and music are not suitable to be taught at school where the importance of discipline and rules are stated and students have to observe them as group activities. To create Art works, compose songs and play the instruments are required more free mind and expressed freely. They tend to be done by each individual, not with group.
In short, I disagree that art and music are compulsory subjects. There are more important subjects students learn at school nowadays and art and music are sort of individual hobbies; students who are interested in them do. They can be put into optional classes which students can choose freely to enhance the pleasure of life.
-------------------------------------------------
Good ideas, but I don't understand the 3rd paragraph.

What is the worth of eduation if can not cultivate us into well-rounded adults.  I do not consider education with only the core courses -- math, science, history and english true education.  All students should be given the opprotunity to learn the wonders of art and music.

Art and music are considered liberal education.  They are the foundation for everything.    You can't say directly what good art and music What is the point of education if it does not cultivate us into well-rounded adults?  I don't consider education bring.  But without the appreciation for art and music nothing accumulates.  

Music tames the mind, it prepares the soul for the daunting tasks we face each day.  Music brings innner peace, it keeps our anxiety down.  Students must learn in order to appreciate the wonders in music .

Art works in the same way too.  Kids ought to be given the opportunity to express themselves other than through speech.  Art is the formation of the mind.  They draw their minds out.  They may find freedom and relieve in it.

It is important that secondary school kids be taught art and music.  Art and music are the basis for learning.  Other knowledge build upon it.  Moreover, parents sent their children to school with the hope that they excel in the future.  Obviously, what our world need are no longer plain bookworms.  It need artistic well-rounded adults!
----------------------------------------------------------------
Too short!! ^_^
Maybe all in your mind
All, so, lonely

使用道具 举报

声望
寄托币
注册时间
2003-2-13
精华
帖子

荣誉版主

发表于 2003-12-28 00:27:12 |只看该作者
126 Do you agree or disagree with the following statement? There is nothing that young people can teach older people. Use specific reasons and examples to support your position.

Though it is true that age and especially old age accompanies itself vast knowledge, better understanding of life and its aspects, and the most important of all, real life experiences. As human being progresses towards his/her old age these valuable assets get accumulated and are surely a valuable resource to learn much about life. But at the same time sometimes young people too have many things which can be taught to even old people. New environment, fast moving  world and its changing traditions and cultures,  and new developments are some of things where young generation surely have an extra edge over the old ones.

Many things change as life progresses. Imagine the world fifty years earlier. There were no space shuttles, no fast moving locomotives, not many medical advancements, not much of technical breakthroughs, when compared to the present day. People could never think of something like internet which would allow people to be connected all the time. Such things can not be expected out of old people because they never saw it happening in their time. They surely can learn about such things from their younger generations. These are some of the very important lessons which can be taught to old people by the young generations.

Young people can make old ones aware of the things happening around them. Many lessons learnt by old people become obsolete due to the change in situations. Those lessons don't suit any longer to the present scenarios. Young generation can surely help old people in this.

Old people do have many things to teach the young generation. And at the same time young ones can also help old ones to learn things necessary to acclimatize themselves according to the changing situations. Young ones can help the older generation to learn the new traditions, about new sports, new way of living, new medical advancements, new facilities, new discoveries and inventions, and about lot more things which change with time. They can make older people to help understand the world which might look alien to them.
No one is perfect in this world and knowledge comes by learning. No one can be expected to be master of everything. Same is true with old people. They surely don’t understand lot many new things which were never present in their school or college days. Hence when they want to learn about it, who else would be a better teacher than the ones who make it happen. Of course the answer is best given by young generations which made it, use it and know about it. Old people can always look upon young ones to get themselves acquainted of things which they don’t know.

In nutshell, young people do learn many things which might be taught to old people. The advancements and technological developments along with many personal and culture changes can be well taught by young generation to the old ones because young people too carry the practical experience of their time and there is nothing wrong in learning anything new from anybody irrespective of age or any criteria.

I would disagree with the statement that there is nothing that young people can teach older people.
     Teaching and learning are continuous processes and age is not a parameter which should interrupt them.It is true that young people lack the experience that older people have , but it is also true that the inherent dynamism in today's society means that younger people are exposed to various sources of knowledge which the older people may have missed out on.
   Computers and internet present a striking example.While the youth of today starts learning about computers right from school , it is the older people who dont have such direct learning opportunities.Here we have a situation wherein the younger people can teach the elder people the basics of computer operations thereby enabling them to make full use of its benefits.
    Another example would be "adult literacy" , a concept more evident in developing countries with high rates of illiteracy especially among the adult population.This is where the young people can step in and teach the older people the fundamentals of reading and writing.
   Thus, in my opinion there are things that young people can teach older people and this should be encouraged for the good of the society.

The older generation today always complains that the youth are unmotivated and directionless, they lack focus and the future is going down because of these behaviors. Nonetheless, youth are the product of its upbriging and the representation of its time. Thus, what they are and what they know will certainly be different from those of the older generation. Therefore, to say that the youngsters are useless is not only wrong as they can also contribute in their own way and teach the older generation a lesson or two.

As we all know, today's technology moves very fast. With our daily responsibility, it is almost impossible for us to keep up with every little new gadgets that come out everyday. With young people, it's different, new things interest them. Furthermore, being young they absorb new knowledge like a sponge. Thus, they can help us in getting in tune with new technologies. Young kids, for example, can probably teach their grandparents to use the computers which in turn, will also be be good for their relationships.

In addition to that, by looking at the young, we can learn about the society better. As I've mentioned earlier, youngsters reprensent their time, hence, by understanding them, we can understand the needs of the society, as this group of age is the most outspoken. A good example would be the hippie movement in the 60s. The movement displayed their dissatisfaction with the system and the need for more freedom of expression.

As someone once said, "Life is a learning experience", thus, from that, we can deduce that there is no full stop to the process of learning. Therefore, instead of being critical and cynical, maybe we can try to understand the youth better by learning from each other. After all, they are the future.
Maybe all in your mind
All, so, lonely

使用道具 举报

声望
寄托币
注册时间
2003-2-13
精华
帖子

荣誉版主

发表于 2003-12-28 00:28:34 |只看该作者
127 Do you agree or disagree with the following statement? Reading fiction (such as novels and short stories) is more enjoyable than watching movies. Use specific reasons and examples to explain your position.

Reading fiction (such as novels and short stories) is more enjoyable than watching movies. Use specific reasons and examples to explain your position.

My best friend has a son. She tells me all the time that her son doesn't like to read at all and she is woory about this. We have remembered the days of out youth when we were reading all day long. Here are the reasons that we told to her son in order to make him reading.

First reason is that reading fiction offers you the freedom of imagining whatever you want. You may have your own vision about the characters, about the landscapes that are described. This liberty give me a very good feeling.  I like to be a part of the story, to imagine the next step in the book. I am the master of the story in a certain way.

Another important reason is that I consider it is more confortable to stay in your favourite chair and to read rather than to watch on TV or to go to the cinema. Or maybe it is preferable to stay in your garden near your old tree. If you watch to TV you have to accept a lot of comercials and other things that takes your mind from the action of the movie. At the same time at the cinema you will listen to your neighbour eating popcorns and this thing always make me nervous.

The last reason but of course not the least important reason is that is cheaper to read a book than watching a movie on TV or at cinema. You may borrow books from the library and you will have a whole world at your house and you may spend a very pleasant time.

We told all this thing to my friend's son and I hope he will follow our advice even it is difficult to make a young man like him to read good books rather than watching to movies.

I disagree that reading fiction is more enjoyable than watching movies. Of course I know the advantage of reading fictions. For example, I can bring my favorite book in the train to read during commuting or traveling. Also, it is a good idea to read novels to kill my time when taking a boring lecture. I can soon go into the world in the book and enjoy seeking what happens next with a lot of imagination alone. People often say that reading books develop children's creativity and I agree that. However, I enjoy watching movies more than reading something for the following reasons.
  First of all, it is easy to have a fun with movies. Even if we don't watch a movie from the start, we will know soon what is going on in the story. Screens where characters act through a camera make audience pay attention easily because of the visual scenes and sound.  The mixture of clear, beautiful or horrible pictures and its matched sounds have great effect on audience so that they will not forget the scenes.   
  Second, if you like a character in a movie, you can be excited in not only the flow of the story but also keeping watching the person. Moreover, I would like to get items characters in films use and imitate their fashions; we can get a lot of hints and ideas which make our daily lives more comfortable and enjoyable.
  Watching one movie with friends is also a happy time. After watching it, we will chat about the stories, characters and what each of us felt. We talk and listen to them and give our own judgment.  We can do such a thing because we can watch movies with more that two people at the same time, on the other hand, reading books tend to enjoy alone.   
Thus, I prefer watching movies to reading fictions.  Through movies, especially which we can see at movie theaters now, we can have a lively conversation and get to know today's popularity.

I always enjoy reading fiction and watching movies. If some one asks me what kind of entertainment prevails, I do not falter to vote for watching movies. Watching movies brings about us the sense of reality and is the most time-saving way to relax.

First of all, watching movies helps us imagine what things in fiction looks like, how the sound is. Have you ever watched Romeo and Juliet? It is the most substantial evidence about movie picture and soundtrack; you can feel the thrill in each sound, the bitter in each war, and the sweet in each conversation between Romeo and Juliet. I do believe that if Shakespeare suddenly woke up and saw the movie, he would totally gratify with the film and say admittedly “My work was lifted up a new height by this film”.

We are all known that time is gold. Therefore, in addition to the sense of reality, watching movies also is surely the most time-saving way to relax. A three-part novel, such as God Father, costs us about three days to read completely while its fantastic film is just three-hour length.

To sum up, the sense of reality and time-saving are the two most salient points of watching movies. Because the advantages of watching movies are so obviously; I am strongly convinced that watching movies is more enjoyable than reading fiction.
----------------------------------------------------
Important tip: a "standard" expository essay in English has five paragraphs. ^_^
Maybe all in your mind
All, so, lonely

使用道具 举报

声望
寄托币
注册时间
2003-2-13
精华
帖子

荣誉版主

发表于 2003-12-28 00:32:45 |只看该作者
128 Some people say that physical exercise should be a required part of every school day. Other people believe that students should spend the whole school day on academic studies. Which opinion do you agree with? Use specific reasons and details to support your answer.

I am surely of the opinion that physical exercise should be a required part of every school day. Even a small session of exercise, but a regular one, can go a long way to give a balanced body. The rest of the school day  can take care of academic studies. The common saying 'All work and no play makes John a dull child' holds water here. Also a balanced body allows one to have a balanced mind on top of it. A small part of the day devoted to exercise can take a long way in preventing future health risks. Moreover in the age of fast-food  getting rid of the couch potato image is essencial for todays young generation.

It can easily be reasoned that students have better concentration if they exercise regularly. The mind runs fresh only if the body supports it. Students always need a break from the daily tedious lectures, and exercise can provide it in the best way.

Another important reason to have daily physical exercise is its long term benifits. Researchers have shown that daily dose of exercise can greatly reduce the risks of many diseases, specially heart problems. Physical exercise can act as a handy weapon against the rising obesity in school students.

For maintaining good health, one always needs to do physical exercise daily. So why not do it in the discipline of the school ? An entire day of academic studies can make life dull for students, and exercise can act as a pleasant escapade.

Some people may believe that students should spend the whole school day on academic studies. I disagree to this opinion and beleive that physical exercise should be a required part of every school day. Reasons and examples below will strengthen my point of veiw.

Schools are meant for providing an over-all development of a student. Which includes both studies and sports. Sports help in inhancing physical growth of a person which is also same important as like mental grwoth.

Secondly, if there will be only studies in the schools, it will be so boring. It is possible that studies all the time may result in loosing ones interest in it. Student need fun along with studies so that they can relax and enjoy. Sports is generally full of fun. By this they can even enjoy their studies as well.

Also  student spend so much of their time learning in school. They can easily get chance to play so many games in large group of friends. By this they can even find out the hidden talent in them and become a famous sports personality in future. Thus school is a key factor in providing a national sports hero to the nation.

I have done my schooling from a convent school name Saint Raphael's school. In my school there used to be daily any games activity or some PT or yoga. I liked to study but still my reason of happiness of going to the school was that I will get chance to play with my friends. Also one of my best friend always used to play table tenis and even used to play for her house and for the school. Now she is playing at national level. Table tenis is her career now, this all started from school only.

Thus to sum-up sports in school provide over-all development, makes school life more interresting and even help out to find a sports talent in you.  

Well, for a parent it is nor easy to choose for his child between physical exercises every day and spending a whole school day on academic studies. A lot of parents think that the most important thing for the future of their children is to learn all the time. But I am against this oppinion. and here are my reasons.

First reason is that every day exercises are very good for the physically and menthally health. .  This fact is well known for a long time, even from the ancient times. Exercises helps in building a healthy mind in a healthy body. For a growing child and later a teenager I cannot imagine a life without sport. Making a sport or some exercises helps a lot in developing a good mood for learning, for academic studies.

The second reason is that practicing exercising a child, a student become a social human being. Practicing sports offers to a young the possibility of making new friends, to make his relations deeper and stronger. Staying all day long in a library is more probable that the student will become later a solitaire and of course nobody wants this thing to happen with his own son or daughter. We are human beings and as a definition we live in a society when everybody has his own important part. But this part of the society, this role should be learnt from the young periods of life. And I think practicing all kind of exercises together with others is a perfect way to understand this role in life.

The last reason but of course not the least important reason is that making exercises helps the young to become a member of a team. And we all know how important for a person is to know how to deal in a team. A lot of jobs, I could say the majority of the nowadays jobs requires from a person to work as a part of a team. Well I think making every day exercises is more important than spending too much time at the library.

In conclusion in my oppinion the schools that offer every day sport programs are more useful for our children than the schools that ignore this aspect and require from the students to spend the whole day in academic studies.

It is a controversial topic about whether we should include exercise in daily school activities. Some people like their children to have physical workout in school everyday, while others prefer their children spending school in academic activities only. Personally, I prefer the former choice, and I will state my reasons in following paragraphs.

First, I believe that physical activities will benefit students' learning ability, and enhance their efficiency of studying. After exercise, one will feel refreshing as well as increase peripheral circulation of his whole body, which will increase blood supply of his brain then contributes to the promotion of his learning ability and memory. By this way, students certainly will benefit from this natural body mechanism and improve efficiency of learning.

Besides the benefit for academic performance, physical workout also has benefits for every student in the long run. By learning swimming, student learns a very important surviving skill, which might save his own life in the future. By playing basketball, football, or baseball, students learn team work, strategies, and disciplines which definitely are very important in their future careers in every field. By practicing tennis and any individual game, students may find their own favorite exercise which they will enjoy their whole lives.

Most importantly, student will build a habit of workout in his early life by having exercise program in school years. Studies have shown that good exercise habit will help anyone to lower cholesterol and blood pressure level, which directly contributes to less risk of having stroke or heart diseases in the future.
----------------------------------
You need a conclusion.

Some people support the idea of having physical exercise as required part of every school day, while most of them think that students should spend the whole day on academics studies. While both approaches have their own advantages and disadvantages, I would rather support the former approach because it gives a break to students from their hectic schedule,  provides a good mean of exercise, helps in keeping them healthy, refreshes their mind and above all helps them to develop sport skills.

Most people look at the exercise hours in schools as mere waste of time. They think that it spoils children because their minds are deviated towards sports rather than studies. People consider that exercise hours are also not feasible for their children because the school fees are paid for education and not for games or exercises. People want to have their children the best among all and hence they never want to waste their children's time and energy in games or exercise. Such things according to some people make children careless and indolent towards studies.

Though the above points might appear to be somewhat convincing to some people, in my opinion these exercise hours are must and they should be incorporated in one's school schedule due to various reasons. Children are generally overloaded with the hectic school hours. The continuous classes can leave them exhaustive. They become tired not only physically but also mentally. An exercise hour not only proves to be a physical refreshment but also it energizes one's mind. Children get a good break because of these exercise hours. Without exercise hours, the school hours would look monotonous and boring. Some break is definitely needed and I think exercise periods are the most suitable ones for such kind of breaks. Exercise hours also help an individual to develop sport skills, which are well respected since a sports person represents the entire country in any game. A sports person is also required for almost all nations and sports can also earn money for him/her since that can be pursued as a career. Exercise also keeps children healthy. Most of the schools run from morning till evening. In such a schedule, one can never find some time to play or exercise. Exercise hours in school schedule can surely benefit in a way that they provide children an opportunity to keep their mind and body fit and healthy. It is very important to keep one's body healthy and exercise can help children develop such healthy habits from their childhood.

In a nutshell, I think exercise hours are never a waste of time, instead they provide the growing children a mean to keep their body and mind healthy, allow them to take regular breaks from the hectic schedule, and allow them to hone their sports skills which might be a useful career for many.

In my opinion, physical exercise or physical education is an essential part of children's education, for so many reasons. First of all, to maintain physical fitness of students, secondly, to promote sportsmanship and camaraderie among students and lastly to create a more disciplined behaviour of the students.

Exercise helps the body become healthy and fit. The movement coming from physical exertion due to exercise promotes circulation of blood to all parts of the body, thus, enhances the distribution of nutrients from different parts of the body and also it promotes oxygenation of the cells and burning of unwanted fats resulting to vigor and stamina. Also, exercise help prevent diseases and sickness like, heart attack, lung diseases and obesity.

Furthermore, exercise develops camaraderie and sportsmanship among student. This is specilally when they play as a team. Students are able to identify their worth in a team and are able to develop their ability to work with a team to be able to reach their common goal, that is to defeat their opponent and come out victorious. They develop friendship with various people because they get to play with other people most of the time, thus, improving the social aspect of their personality. Students become extrovert and active as I observed if they continuously join sports and other form of exercises.

Lastly, This is a good investment in their personality as they grow up because exercise and sports teach them to become  disciplined, patient and friendly. MOst of all they become result oriented with their work as they see to it that they persevere in every field that they get into. When they grow up to be come matured individuals, it will not be hard for them to deal with other people and they will always see to it that they put their hearts and minds in everything that they do, as what they have learned in sports while they were still young.

While it is true that academic subjects should be put into prioirty, I still believe that physical exercise in school should be given the same importance, because it helps develop the emotional, social and physical aspect of a student, preparing him to become a great individual in the future.
Maybe all in your mind
All, so, lonely

使用道具 举报

声望
寄托币
注册时间
2003-2-13
精华
帖子

荣誉版主

发表于 2003-12-28 00:34:34 |只看该作者
129 A university plans to develop a new research center in your country. Some people want a center for business research. Other people want a center for research in agriculture (farming). Which of these two kinds of research centers do you recommend for your country? Use specific reasons in your recommendation.

Since the announcement of the University's plan to develop a new research center in our country, many people have showed their concerns for the project and expressed their views of type of center it should be. It is now clear that the variety of ideas have converged to two: a business or agriculture research center. We have to make an ultimate decision, and I think the latter is the best option.

As most people may know, our country is an agricultural country whose farming produce is not only enough to feed its own people but also enough to export to many other countries. We have no way out but to develop our agriculture because it is the background of our national economy, and it would be a disaster to the whole nation if we relied on food import.

To develop our agriculture, we cannot just call on the farmers to work harder because they have been working laboriously from generation to generation. Instead, we should improve their farming skills and provide them with better breeds, more fertilizers, advanced machines, and up-to-date technical information. In short, we have to count on science and technology.
Some people would say that this could not be a weighty reason because science and technology are needed not only in agriculture but also in all other fields. My view is that Vietnam agricultural situation is facing with the most serious challenges. Ours is a big country with greatly different climates and soil conditions. If we are to assist the peasants, we have to study all types of crops and all the farming conditions. With a research center, these problems can be thoroughly examined and systematically solved. But so far, no agriculture research center worthy of its name has been set up while there is already an ineffective business one in the southern part of the country.

Because of the above reasons, it should be a substantial recommendation to make an investment in an agriculture development institution. If we take this crucial step and succeed in overcoming endeavors, I firmly believe our agricultural yield will be dramatically increased, and our whole national economy will reach a new height.

Iran, my homeland, has one of the biggest sources of oil. From many years ago, the only thing that have provided the most part of country budgets have been oil. Because of that, politician did not pay attention to other ability of our country. During the war between Iran and Iraq, Iran lost many industrial factories related to oil industry and the people became extremely poor. After the war, people are interested in developing some business but most of them became unsatisfied because the country have not had enough knowledge, experience and potential of developing businesses that are not related to oil.
In my opinion, in these circumstances, the country needs to develop the researches on business to solve the problem of the country in the field of business. Nowadays, if we are going to be a successful country in the world, we cannot depend on the oil. Changes in the oil prices in last decade showed that our economics are sick because of depending on oil.
On the other hand, Iran has four kind of weather in whole country. South has a hot weather, north has temperate weather, west has a cold weather and east and the center of Iran is arid. Therefore, it is a very good place for developing in agriculture. Because of that Iran is one of the best lands for growing many kinds of plants, fruits, and vegetables. Unfortunately, governments do not pay attention to the farming and the villagers that the biggest groups of farmers are immigrating to the big cities and they do not do any agricultural activities either. The other problem of our agriculture is that it has not developed and not all of the agricultural engineers can find any job related to their field.
To concluded, albeit my country need to have a research center for farming, I think before that, it is better to solve the problem of business that can drop the country on the deepest part of the dark well of poverty.

If a university plans to develop a new research center in my country, I recommend a business center. There must be a lot of people who recommend a research center in agriculture, because, as you know, the production capacity in farming field of Japan is very low and in many kinds of food we are depending on the importation from abroad.  So, we should encourage agriculture field more as the second industry, or making such machinery as cars, electronic production, have dramatically developed after the world war two. However, I think that, from today's situation Japan locates and the general prospective of future of world, we should have a new business center to research for what is going on in the business world.

Nowadays, especially after the emergency of internet, our living world are becoming much smaller and smaller; it is possible that we can know the events which occur in other countries at the same time through news. In addition, thanks for developing of transportation such as air planes and express trains and providing these tickets at reasonable prices to us, more and more people are going to other countries and have communications. After all, such modern technology changed the style of business that we, each nation, used to do.  Today's businessmen have to look and compete in world's markets, not only domestic markets.  Under this condition, Japan can be an industrial county no longer. We used to make electronic products at factories in Japan and sell those to other countries. However, we are getting to know that it is too costly to make products in Japan while other countries, especially other Asian countries provide cheep capitals such as lands, natural resources, laboring. Since I learn business at university, I can remember that professors told us the importance of trading and how dramatically have changed and should convert more the way of Japanese business, because that is only way that Japan can keep being one of the leading countries.

In short, I recommend that Japan have a new place where researchers can pursue the new way of Japanese business to match today's world situation. We have to raise skilled businessmen and women who can communicate with people all over the world in international language, probably English, and have keen eyes to forecast today's fast movement of business environments.         

A research center in business or a research in agriculture. Of course it is ideal to be developed both centers but if I am in the situation of choosing what would I choose? Well it is a difficult decision to make. You need to take into consideration various aspects of your country. Having in mind some particularities of my country I think it is better to be developed a new research center in agriculture. Let me tell you some of my reasons.
First reason is that in an agricultural research center the specialists will develop new, modern seeds for all sort of plants. And these new seeds will be very useful for the farmers of my country. In this way it will be increased the productivity of the land. Using this new type of seeds on the same area the same farmer will obtain more rice, wheat, corn, tomatoes, potatoes and so on. And  the farmer will sell his goods and will have more money for the future investments. Maybe he will buy some new trucks, new devices for his work.
Another reason is that it is possible to increase the exports of our country. Having good seeds the farmers will obtain better crops. And after the internal market is full of these products the next step is to sell the extra over the boundaries. As a result the exports will increase. And more money will come back in our country and it could be utilized in other ways.

The last reason but of course not the least important reason is that in our country we have a lot of engineers specialzed in agricultural field but they don't have proper centers to work in and to study. So they will have a center where their pretious knowledge could be applied with very good results for everybody.

To summarize, taking into consideration all these aspects I think for the moment in my country is more useful to be developed an farming research center.

It is difficult to decide whether to build a business research center or an agriculture reserchcenter. As for me, I personally prefer to construct the agriculture research center in my country, China. There are two reasons for my position; the agriculture is very important to my country and the less young people like to work in the agriculture.

First of all, the agriculture is very important for my country. The large population cause my country to have the problem that there are still lots of people cannot eat enough food. If we do not improve our country's agriculture technology, it will be hard to resolve the food problem. So building the agriculture  research center can offer us more information about the development technology and help us to produce more food. We can learn lots of other developed country's advantages through researching and use these information to advance our country's agriculture. Thus , the agriculture research center can give us many benefits.

Another reson is that the young people begin to ignore teh agriculture in my country. They do not like to study agriculture, because they think they cannot earn a lot of money by learning agriculture. The flourishing business attracts them. Especially in villages, everybody want to work in the city, and nobody care the corps. It causes only the old experts continue to study the agriculture, no new persons can help them to think the problems. The old experts have limited knowledge. They are hard to get the new things. If more young persons can be volunteers to work for agrivulture, more problems will be resolved quickly. There, the young people need to realize the importance of agriculute, becuase they can make more profits in agriculture.

In short, people have different perspectives on building a business center or an agriculture center. However, I am convinced that we need to build the agriculture center. Following my country's situation, the quesiton that whether the people can eat enough or not is the most important things. Therefore, the ignorance fo agriculture will make our country go to the famine country.
Maybe all in your mind
All, so, lonely

使用道具 举报

声望
寄托币
注册时间
2003-2-13
精华
帖子

荣誉版主

发表于 2003-12-28 00:36:23 |只看该作者
130 Some young children spend a great amount of their time practicing sports. Discuss the advantages and disadvantages of this. Use specific reasons and examples to support your answer.

Spending much time for sportive activities has so many advantages in various aspects such as being more healty,having self confidence in oneself,having the opportunity to know one's limitations,seeing what one's body can or can not do and spending one's leisure time in a sociable position rather than spending it in acitivities such as playing compute games  and getting  involved in small gangs of the neighbourhood  which are so popular among the youngsters nowadays.
        First of all,experts indicate that people dealing with sportive activities may develop  more healty blood circulations and lungs,whereas people away from sportive activities are more likely to have hearth and blood cirtualtion problems in the years following the ages of 20's.It is also known that when one is involved in a sportive activity that person gets rid of the lactic acid in the tissues and (kas ne?) and the amount of the oxygen that each cell in the body gets is considerably increased.People who do not spare time to sportive activities are likely to have more fragile bodies.
        In addition to being more healthy,spending much time in sportive activities enables one to develop self confidence.Whether one wins or looses,every individual feels the self confidence that tells them they are able to do better and all they need is to work more and more.That kind of self confidence is also the key to future sucess.
        Moreover,one can learn the abilities and disabilities of the body she or he has.That helps people  know their limitations and make proper decisions.For example,i am a first lieutenant in the army and i believe that getting involved in sportive activities enables one to know what one can do and can not do on the btllefield.Of course,that results in better decisions.
        Another advantage of spending much time in sportive activities for the young is that these children are not exposed to rather harmful activities such as being addicted to computer games and being slaves of  them or getting involved in small district gangs which are composed of 15-17 year-old  members.It is always claimed by some that much sportive activiity at early ages is harmful and involves the risk of getting seriously injured.That is true only when  the necessary precautions are not taken.Otherwise,there will be no problem.
        To sum up,spending much time in sports at the early ages is advantagous in many ways which i mentioned above.Though it might have the risk of getting in trouble with one's  health,it is worth  taking the necessary risks besides proper precautions and trying to enjoy the advantages of being a sportive person.

Some young children spend a great amount of their time practicing sports. This have both advantage and disadvantage sides. On this essay I will discuss about  them.  In my opinion, I think this have more disadvantages than advantages.
  Practicing sports can make people more healthy. Especially at the young age, sports make children grow faster.  Children who practice sports so much usually, taller and stronger in compare with children that not do  any excercices.  So they can strong enough to do a lot of heavy work in the future.
  But children that practicing sports so  much also have a little time to study and take part in another useful activity in the life. Because they spend a lot of time on sports, so they may do not do their homework. They also  may not help their parents to do anything. They also may do not have time to play with friends in their class. And in the fact, children that practice sports so much usually study worse than classmate. And so, when they develope, they will get so much difficult in their life, and especially to find a good job.
  Practicing sports is good for children's health and for people health in common. But spend a lot of time in sports is not good at all. At the early age, children should develope entirely. Studying, making friend, playing sports and another activities are all neccesary for children to become a good citizent for the social and familly.

Some young children spend a great amount of their time practicing sports. This have both advantage and disadvantage sides. On this essay I will discuss about  them.  In my opinion, I think this have more disadvantages than advantages.
  Practicing sports can make people more healthy. Especially at the young age, sports make children grow faster.  Children who practice sports so much usually, taller and stronger in compare with children that not do  any excercices.  So they can strong enough to do a lot of heavy work in the future.
  But children that practicing sports so  much also have a little time to study and take part in another useful activity in the life. Because they spend a lot of time on sports, so they may do not do their homework. They also  may not help their parents to do anything. They also may do not have time to play with friends in their class. And in the fact, children that practice sports so much usually study worse than classmate. And so, when they develope, they will get so much difficult in their life, and especially to find a good job.
  Practicing sports is good for children's health and for people health in common. But spend a lot of time in sports is not good at all. At the early age, children should develope entirely. Studying, making friend, playing sports and another activities are all neccesary for children to become a good citizent for the social and familly.
Maybe all in your mind
All, so, lonely

使用道具 举报

声望
寄托币
注册时间
2003-2-13
精华
帖子

荣誉版主

发表于 2003-12-28 00:37:57 |只看该作者
131 Do you agree or disagree with the following statement? Only people who earn a lot of money are successful. Use specific reasons and examples to support your answer.

I disagree with the statement that only people who earn a lot of money are successful. Success should not be measured only in terms of money. There is a lot of people who is very successful in what they do, even when they do not earn a penny for it.

Nowadays it is very common to associate success with economical status, many people think that someone is successful just because he has money to buy houses, luxury cars, clothes and can afford a glamorous social life. Some of those are successful in their work, and consecuently make a lot of money that aloow them to live comfortably.
But there is another kind of successful persons that do not neccessary receive great amounts of money as a result of what they do well. For example, I know school teachers who are excellent educators, they are wise, capable and willing to offer all from themselves to educate children and help them to be honorable individuals. I have never seen one school teacher living an extravagant life. They earn as much as they need to survive. I am proud of some teachers and I consider them to be successful, because they have an objective to achieve in their work and they meet it.
For me, being successful is doing what you like to do, doing it well, helping others with your work, and being recognized by your peers for that. Sometimes that recognition comes in bills, sometimes does not. In spite of that, I think that if ones works just for the money, one will be far away from success.

To conclude, I affirm that money is not a neccessary condition to be successful. The less you need money to feel satisfied, the easier it is to become successful in what you do.

I am an ordinary person. I have an ordinary job, an ordinary life. I don't earn a lot of money. On the contrary, I earn little money. Does it mean that I am not a successful person? I do not think so. My experience tells me that not a lot of money makes you a successful person. In my opinion the success is for the have and the have nots, for poor and rich. Let me tell you another reason to help this opinion.

First thing that come to my mind is the situation of famous sportsmen. But of course I am not thinking at basketball, football, and hockey players. Think about gymnastics sportsmen. A so difficult sport and usually the earnings are incomparable with the famous basketball players. But they are successful persons, they are respected, their word means a lot. They inspire the children; they are idols for the young. And this is a great thing.

Another reason in supporting my ideas are me and a lot of friends of mine. We all do not earn a lot of money. But we are happy with our jobs. We try hardly to do our jobs as good as we can and to be appreciated by our superiors and by our colleagues. That makes us, in my opinion successful people even if we don't earn a lot of money. We earn enough so that we can afford wonderful lives. We have wonderful families; we like to spend time together. And this is the case of a lot of others persons.

In addition of the reasons that I have already told you about is the experience of numerous personalities about you may read every day in newspapers. I am talking about persons who earn money in a day as much as I and all my friends in an year. Yes, they are rich, they are successful, and they represent a wonderful image at first sight. But when you begin to look in their lives you will discover a lot of so many unhappy things that make you not to want to live their day-by-day life. Their success is often just a superficial success. That makes you not to desire to be them. And sometimes your little success is much more precious than their.

Having in mind all these things, experience of some famous sportsmen, my experience and the life of various stars I could easily say that earning a lot of money does not necessarily make you a successful person in all aspects of life.

There are a large number of people who think it is money that brings them happiness. Although people who are hardworking and studious and successful in their jobs usually earn more money, they are not always the most successful as far as happiness considered as the determining factor in success. In my opinion there are a lot of people who I regard as successful but do not earn a lot of money, nevertheless they are content with their job.
   Firstly, to illustrate a perfect example to support my idea, I will consider artists as a quintessence. There are few people who haven’t heard the name of Vangog, he was a famous artist who is now well known all around the world and considered as one of the most successful painters of the entire world, but as you all might have heard he was poor throughout his life and he could hardly make enough money to live on. Scrutinizing the history of art, there are a number of similar examples to support this idea.
  Secondly, perusing a number of scientific books, I have discovered a lot about the life story of famous scientists such as Einstein. Certainly he is one of the scientists considered as the most successful people in the world famous all over the world for his unique intelligence. Did he earn a lot of money through his science? Of course not. Never had anybody mentioned in any textbook about his wealth, whereas if he wanted to use his talent to make money he might have been the wealthiest man in the world.
  To sum up, although people who are hardworking and studious and successful in their jobs usually earn more money, they are not always the most successful as far as happiness considered as the determining factor in success, because the most successful people in the field of art and science have not earned a lot of money, while they where happy and content with the work they had done.

Many people believe that a large income equals success. I believe, however, that success is more than how much money you make. Some of those measures of success include fame, respect, and knowledge.
  Most people assume that famous people are rich people, but that isn’t always true. For example, someday I would like to be a famous researcher. Few scientists are rich by today’s standards. Still, I will feel myself to be successful if I am well known. Additionally, there are many famous humanitarians who are not so rich. Mother Theresa was one. Certainly, no one would say she was not successful.
  I also believe that being respected by co-workers indicates success. Without that, respect, money means little. For example, I once did some work for a top attorney in a law firm. He made a very good salary, but he was not a nice man. No one ever did work for him willingly. He ordered everyone around, and we didn’t respect him. In contrast, however, I had a wonderful band director in high school. He had to take extra jobs just to make enough money to support his family. However, his students had great respect for him and always listened to what he said. As a result, we were a very good band. In my opinion, my band director was more successful than the attorney was.
  Finally, I think one of the most important indicators of success is knowledge. Wealthy people don’t know all the answers. For example, in the movie Good Will Hunting, the only person who could solve some complex problems was the janitor. He knew a lot, and decided what he wanted to do with that knowledge rather than just think about money. In my opinion, he was extremely successful.
  When we think of history, there few people that we remember simply because they were rich. Overall, we remember people who did something with their lives-they were influential in politics, or contributed to science or art or religion. If history is the ultimate judge of success, then money surely isn’t everything.
Maybe all in your mind
All, so, lonely

使用道具 举报

声望
寄托币
注册时间
2003-2-13
精华
帖子

荣誉版主

发表于 2003-12-28 00:39:37 |只看该作者
132 暂缺
Maybe all in your mind
All, so, lonely

使用道具 举报

声望
寄托币
注册时间
2003-2-13
精华
帖子

荣誉版主

发表于 2003-12-28 00:40:10 |只看该作者
133 暂缺
Maybe all in your mind
All, so, lonely

使用道具 举报

声望
寄托币
注册时间
2003-2-13
精华
帖子

荣誉版主

发表于 2003-12-28 00:41:49 |只看该作者
134 Do you agree or disagree with the following statement? Children should be required to help with household tasks as soon as they are able to do so. Use specific reasons and examples to support your answer.

The issue that children should help with household tasks is one that is open to debate. On the one hand, some people think that children should not be required to help if there is not need for them to do part of the household tasks. Some people also say that is preferable for children to devote more time to playing, reading and watching interest things on TV. On the other hand other people support the idea of teaching children household tasks and make them help at home. I adhere to the latter point of view. I base my opinion on the following points.

First, helping in our houses when we are children teaches us of the ways of doing household tasks. This might be very useful in our future, even if we can hire someone to do those things for us. I have three sisters and my mom always explained to us how to cook, clean or iron our clothes. We also had a maid to help us with most of the chores, but anyway my mom wanted us to learn. It is well known that is very difficult to correct the job of someone else if you don’t know the job yourself. Thanks to this learning, I can now handle many of my houses tasks, and when my maid cannot come to my house I anyway manage to go to work with my clothes clean or ironed. Moreover, it helped me grow by learning that all of us have responsibilities at home, even if it is a minor one such as preparing toasts for breakfast.

Second, doing the household tasks helps you be more tolerant with others, put yourself in their situation and understand them more. Before I practiced this kind of tasks at home, I usually though that keeping a house clean and tidy was a very simple and minor issue. Now, I don’t. I’ve learnt to appreciate how energy consuming doing the household can be and how many things need to be done before we arrive at home and see everything in perfect conditions. This has helped me grow as a more considerate person. I value the job of those who work for me. I’ve felt how boring and exhausting cleaning a house can be, and I try to recognize through a fair pay this job.

Third, I believe that you can learn household activities and help at home without resigning to other activities. When I was a child I helped my mom with part of the chores, but however had plenty of time to read and play with my friends. Doing part of the household did not affect either my academic performance or my social activities. Hence, as my sisters and I helped at home, my mom could also have a personal life and spend more time playing with us.

To sum up, I believe that is a good idea to make children help with some of the household tasks even if there is no need to do so because someone else can handle it. In my opinion, doing part of the household promotes children to grow and mature as responsible and considerate people, and does not affect their academic or personal life.
----------------------------------------------
========================================
ESTIMATE OF YOUR TOEFL ESSAY SCORE: 5.5/6.0

General comments: Your essay shows that you have a good command of English--your vocabulary, grammar, and sentence structure are fairly good. In some cases, however, you show some minor grammar mistakes. For example, you omit the subject "it" in at least one sentence.

Your essay has all the components of a good essay, and is very well organized. Your essay is actually quite long! Most TOEFL essays with scores of 5.5 or 6.0 are 300-500 words in length. Your essay is 537 words long.

Finally, I would suggest that you use a few more transition words. Please see some examples in your essay below.

I hope this information has been helpful for you!! You've got a great chance to get a 6.0! Good luck tomorrow!!!

Erin
========================================
Maybe all in your mind
All, so, lonely

使用道具 举报

RE: 数百篇TWE高分范文 [修改]
您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 立即注册

问答
Offer