精华
帖子
跳转到指定楼层
楼主
发表于 2006-5-9 22:42:28 |只看该作者 |倒序浏览
基本信息
敏感专业,信息安全,information security
将来的专业是cs-neworking,但是也是安全方向的,老板主页上全是敏感词汇。
觉得肯定被check,不出意料,但是没问什么专业的东西,大概因为是本科生吧。觉得自己的准备不能白费,放到这边大家参考。觉得敏感专业还是多准备点专业的解释吧!

祝自己check 早日clear!!大家good luck,今年形势很好,加油!

过程十分简单

问候。。。
要cv,然后看,我没说话
要老板信息,查电脑,我还没说话
You application is very good, but……,two weeks…….process
最后还来个sorry, 今天不能给你visa

建议:
1.上海当天可以不管预约时间的,早到早签!
2. 排队的时候多和陌生的同道中人聊聊,可以缓解紧张哦!

1.        Questions related to future PhD program:
1)  What will you study in the United States?|留学|签证|TOEFL|GRE$G3p3] v d z¬^6t#X
3)  What will you do in USA?bbs.gter.net"x K6Q6e
4)  Are you going to study in USA?
9)  What do you want to study in USA?bbs.gter.net Q c3m!w.B&y
尽早地说明专业用途,寻找一切机会说明专业用途
学,考试,TOEFL,GRE,GMAT,IELTS,SAT,VISA,文书,签证,论坛,出国,申请,美国,英国,欧洲,加拿大,USA y8R C B
I am going to pursue a PhD Degree in Computer Science in Xxxxx University. My research will be mainly concerned with computer networking.

Computer networking is platform for terminals like computers to cooperate via media links under the agreement of protocols.
My research will be concerned with how to improve the QoS of TCP/IP networks, since the currently used IPv4 networks have some innate drawbacks in preserving the QoS.
说到这里暂时停一下,看看VO的表现,不感兴趣就停下来,问我具体做什么就说A,感兴趣但不具体说B。

A: dependable networks, privacy-preserving and authenticity-assured networking is my interests.
Can be used in NGN, Mobile Networks bank system, stock transaction system, communication networks。

B:Computer networks is a very promising field, especially in China
1)        China has the largest market for the computer networking. For example, 1) China has 400 million mobile phone users now, and 100 million people use Internet. The market for computer networking is marvelous.
2)        The network in China is not as mature as the states. The next generation network will be setup in a few years and large number of research result of universities can be put into use. That is good chance for the networking researchers in China.
B说完了, 就可以提回国任教的事情了       

2) What is your major? In what aspect of your major will you study? What is your favorite subject? Can it be used to military utilities?7`49) What does your major mean?2F s {4}2K a

I am going to pursue a PhD Degree in Computer Science in Xxxxx University. My research will be mainly concerned with computer networking.

Computer networking is platform for terminals like computers to cooperate via media links under the agreement of protocols.
My research will be concerned with how to improve the QoS of TCP/IP networks, since the currently used IPv4 networks have some innate drawbacks in preserving the QoS.
说到这里暂时停一下,看看VO的表现,不感兴趣就停下来,问我具体做什么就说A,感兴趣但不具体说B。

A:survivable and dependable networks, privacy-preserving and authenticity-assured networking is my interests.
Can be used in NGN, Mobile Networks bank system, stock transaction system, communication networks。

B:Computer networks is a very promising field, especially in China

You know, Science is neutral. Almost all kinds of technologies can be related to military uses. The point is who are going to use them. Isn’t that right? Network Security has tremendous marketing opportunities in the industrial and commercial uses. Information Security is one of the fast developing areas in the computer science. Almost all the top CS departments in USA have information security labs and research groups. My research interests are in how to protect ordinary people from malicious behaviors, that is how to realize a survivable, dependable, privacy-preserving and authenticity-assured networking

直接拿出教授的sp

2. my academic background
本文到这方面的问题时,实话实说,但是要做出解释
12) What is your academic background? / Say something about your major/research? / 102) What have you done in your research?

My undergraduate study has equipped me with courses in Computer sciences and some introductory courses in security. These courses prepared me sufficiently for my future study in CS.
(Information Security has tremendous marketing opportunities in the industrial and commercial uses. Information Security is one of the most common areas in the computer science. Almost all the top CS departments in USA have information security labs and research groups.) (My research interests are in how to protect ordinary people from malicious behaviors, that is how to realize a survivable, dependable, privacy-preserving and authenticity-assured networking) (You know, Science is neutral. Almost all kinds of technology can be related to military uses. The point is who are going to use them. Isn’t that right? )

22) What is the difficult class do you have?
A lot of classes are hard to learn, but they are really interesting and useful

compiler principles are about how to turn the program written by human into the machine code understandable to the computer. We can gain some fundamental understanding about how the computers really execute what we order it to do.

Programming exercise

25) What institution did you attend and what was your major?
问道major还是老老实实的回答吧,争取check
If everything goes well, I will graduate from SJTU as a Bachelor of Engineering majored in Information Security
My undergraduate study has equipped me with core courses in Computer sciences and some introductory courses in security. These courses prepared me sufficiently for my future study in CS.

(Information Security has tremendous marketing opportunities in the industrial and commercial uses. Information Security is one of the most common areas in the computer science. Almost all the top CS departments in USA have information security labs and research groups.) (My research interests are in how to protect ordinary people from malicious behaviors, that is how to realize a survivable, dependable, privacy-preserving and authenticity-assured networking) (You know, Science is neutral. Almost all kinds of technology can be related to military uses. The point is who are going to use them. Isn’t that right? )
如果是第一次被问道,后面要加上1.A 的内容。

12) What is your academic background? / Say something about your major/research? / 102) What have you done in your research?签证,论坛,出国,申请,美国,英国,欧洲,加拿大,USA/Y
I am now study in the Shanghai Jiao Tong University, and my major is information security. As an undergraduate student, I received Computer Science courses, EE courses and some introductory courses in network security. The education here prepared me sufficiently for my pursuing PhD in CS.
Besides the courses, I take part in a lot of research activities. For example, I take part in a research group to develop a file system in Linux, which is named as smallfs. (We know that the ordinary file system’s performance drop dramatically when they are filled with small files. Our file system can perform excellent in such circumstance, because of the specialized designed algorithms for searching a individual file in the system.) Besides, I join in the Development of media gateway of alcatel Shanghai bell Company.

93) What is your dissertation about? What is your specific research of your undergraduate paper?

It is about how to prevent money in your credit card from being stolen.来引起他的兴趣
Smart card is the kernel computing unit in the credit cards. Some of the private and confidential information are stored and computed in the smart card, which is in the credit card. Unfortunately, the naïve design of the algorithm in the smart card can provide chance for card stealer to uncover your private information. That is because the power consumption of the smartcard when it is working have some relationship with the private information computed. By monitoring the power consumption, the key can be uncovered. My work is how to prevent this without adding to much workload for the smartcard.
52) What's the difference between your major now and the major in USA?
Yeah, as an undergraduate student majored in information security, I received Computer Science courses and some introductory courses in network security. These courses prepare me sufficiently for my future study in the computer networking. The undergraduate study in information security has little difference from the CS.
(Especially, the fundamental courses in security help me a lot for future study in privacy-preserving and authenticity-assured networking.)

58) Why do you change your major?
I do not think I am changing my major. Maybe the most different point is the names.
As an undergraduate student majored in information security, I received Computer Science courses and some introductory courses in network security. These courses prepare me sufficiently for my future study in the computer networking.
(Especially, the fundamental courses in security help me a lot for future study in privacy-preserving and authenticity-assured networking.)

如果问到将来的工作和现在有什么关系,
Researchers in computer networking will pay more and more attention to building a survivable and dependable networks, privacy-preserving and authenticity-assured networking.
Can be used in industrial  NGN, Mobile Networks bank system, stock transaction system, communication networks。

3.questions related to application

18) Why do you like your major?
Computer networks is a very promising field, especially in China。
如果尚未被拆穿,回答1.B 的内容
如果被拆穿,回答1.A 的内容

20) Why do you want to pursue a master's/doctoral degree?
28) Why do you think it is time for you to pursue master's/doctoral degree now?

I feel I lack further theories, advanced techniques in my field. Lacking of all these stuffs is an obstacle in my career path. Doctoral training in XXX university can help me to acquire these things and make me become an professor in a Chinese University, which would is my career goal and tradition of my family. (见后面)

31) What is your ultimate academic goal?
同上

19) Why do you want to study in USA?
29) Why do you want to study xxx in the US?|
27) Why do you want go to the United States for further study?
30) Many universities in the China offer first--rate graduate programs in xxx. Why do you want to go to the USA for graduate study?

That is because The States is the leading country in the field of computer science and, especially computer networks. The first computer is invented in USA and the Internet is first developed in American universities, UCLA, Stanford…
I believe that the PhD degree in USA will help me significantly in the future competition and fulfill my career goal in China.

I think a PhD Degree in USA can help me a lot for my career in Chinese Universities

13) How do you know this Univ.?
I first know this university from USNews.com, which ranks XXXXX as top graduate colleges. Then I found that the research interests there are perfect for me. So I apply for it.
(The XXXXX is a top 3 large university in USA, and top 10 state universities. I first know this university from USNews.com, which ranks XXXXX as top graduate colleges.)

17) Why do you choose this Univ.?
33) Why did you choose xxxxxx University? How much do you know about the university? j i
Because of my research interests, computer networks.
The computer networking group in XXXXX
diverse and vibrant conducting research in both theoretical and implementation aspects of a wide variety of computer networks. Research projects address challenging hardware and software problems being faced by currently prevalent Internet-based distributed applications as well as emerging embedded, mobile and pervasive or ubiquitous computing applications. These projects encompass several networking paradigms, including survivable and dependable networks, privacy-preserving and authenticity-assured networking.
My future advisor Mr. Aaaa’s research interests perfectly matches mine.

85) Who is your advisor? (present prof or future prof?)
Professor Aaaa. He is a young, but fruitful researcher. As an assistant professor in XXXXX, he already has 17 papers published. Mr. Aaaa has told me that after entering the XXXXX, I can be assigned another advisor. Prof. Arunabha Sen is one of my favorite. I hope I can receive his direction.
Here is Mr. Aaaa’s Supporting Letter for me. Would you like to have a look at it? Here it is)Under their guidance and my effort, I believe I will become an expert in my field.

32) To how many institutions have you applied, and who are they? Any other school admits you?
I have applied 10 Universities.

100) Is xxxxxxx the first university to give you the offer?
Yes. XXX is my favorite university. So after I got offer from, I declined the other universities.

48) Do you know which school is the best in your major? What else?
As for Computer Science, CMU is the best. But Stanford, MIT, UC Berkeley are also excellent.

51) If you say you will be a teacher in the future, what will you teach?
79) What will you teach?
Classes related to computer networks, both theory and application.

4 plans after graduation
14) What is your plan? What will you do after graduation? Why? what kind of job can you find in the future?
40)Do you plan to seek employment in the US after you have completed your studies?

关于家庭传统:fathers of my parents are high teachers. I have got 5 uncles teaching in high schools. And the most important, both my parents are Associate Professors in university. I really cherish such a good academic family environment and am willing to follow the tradition. You know, professors like my parents really enjoy excellent reputation and salary in China. They have a very firm job; enjoy good income and fame, and long vacation, which even professor in USA can hardly enjoy.
I like the freedom of being a professor in China. I can apply my research result directly to the industry uses, which is very profiting and well encouraged by the government.

I will return to China to follow my family tradition, working as a professor in a university.
1)        Computer networking is very promising in China.
        China has the largest market for the computer networking. For example, 1) China has 400 million mobile phone users now, and 100 million people use Internet. The next generation mobile network will be setup in a few years and large number of research result of universities can be put into use. The market for computer networking is marvelous.
        Chinese networking is not as mature as USA, and large number equipment is too old to be effective.
2)        It is really a smart choice to be a professor in University.
        Follow the tradition of family, parents colleagues can help me find good position in Universities
        Professor have good reputation , salary and freedom
        I can directly put my research into industrial and commercial uses, which is also strongly encouraged by the government.
3) Assistant professors in the USA do not lead a very good life, compared with the professors in China. And it is harder for a PhD student to find a good job than a master.

Does not conflict with each other
1)        Create excellent chances for the student to apply what they learned in classroom to practice. You know, theory can hardly help human unless is directs the practice
2)        Can provide fund for research, student AID, advanced equipment

15) Give me three reasons that you will come back to China?

16) Can you explain why 90% Chinese students didn't come back?

Maybe ten years ago, that is true. But times have changed. The intellectual are being more and more cherished by the people. After all, every one can only be responsible for himself.
然后说我回国的理由

91) What will you do if you can not find a position in the big companies/ xxx university?

If I can’t get the position, with the PhD degree from US, I can easily find a research position in other universities. If I can not find a job in China, how can I find a job in USA?

94) You can also make more of this kind of money in US, why don't you want to earn more? why you come back to China instead of finding a job in America?
同上,回国理由

47) How much do you earn now? How much will you earn when you come back?

I think will be more than 8000 at the beginning.

5 financial support
8) Have you any scholarship?
Yes, the CSE department gives me TA/RA position and tuition waiver.

21) Why do you receive financial aid from this Univ.?
Because of a clear intention of what I want to learn, a high GPA in my undergraduate studies and some professional experience in doing projects.
My research interest matches my future advisor’s current research very well. I can contribute to his research projects immediately. So the dept provides me RA/TA 直接看offer letter 和 supporting letter.

36) How much do you expect you will have to spend each year in the United States?
  I receive full financial support.

37) How do you support yourself during your studies in the United States?
The scholarship from XXXXX
My excellent academic performance and research progress can win me continual scholarship.
38) Do you plan to seek Financial support in the US?
No, I won’t.'

65) What kind of works you will do for this assistantship? What's your duty as a TA/RA?
As a RA, I’m required to spend 20 hours per week on specified research tasks. These tasks are generally matched to my academic interest

78) Can you tell me which assistantship they give you? TA or RA.
I get RA. (As a RA, I’m required to spend 20 hours per week on specified research tasks. These tasks are generally matched to my academic interest.

92) Your assistantship is for one year, then how about the following years?
I’m convinced my excellent academic performance and research progress can win me scholarship for the following years.

36) How much do you expect you will have to spend each year in the United States?
   That is about $@@, as indicated in the I20 form. But it is a wise investment.

6 special questions

55)What is the thing you like best in America ,or the thing you like best in China?
56)Then what is the thing you don't like most in China?
传说中的移民倾向陷阱题
I like America for her most advanced technology and the creativity of researchers. First computer and Internet
China have some drawbacks, but it is my mother land.
回应

使用道具 举报

声望
寄托币
注册时间
2003-4-11
精华
帖子
沙发
发表于 2006-5-9 22:51:51 |只看该作者
感谢楼主分享
祝楼主早日拿到VISA。