使用道具 举报

声望
寄托币
注册时间
2011-11-24
精华
帖子
发表于 2012-8-28 10:03:40 |只看该作者

listen to a guest speaker being introduce in a business group.  Thank you all for coming out this evening to meet the sociologist ****,  *** specializes in research on the workplace and recently has been writing about  the future of work.

This topic should be of special interests since I know many of you are already at the forefront of the technology,  for example, let's show up the hands to see how many people here have telecommunicate at least part of time.  Ok, I see eight hands raised, you eight foe who work at home and communicate with your office through computer represent a trends that ** will describe today, the people are less tied to the work place. One of the important tools for telecommunicate is a electronic mail or e-mail. E-mail let you to send and receive messages almost immediately on your computer, but you control when to read them and when you response to them. This technology allows people have more control over the time than solely relay on the telephone. Our guest tonight would discuss how this important changes will alter the way we work. But before turning the floor over Mr **, I would just like to remind you that she will be available to answer any individual questions at the reception immediately following this talk.

使用道具 举报

声望
寄托币
注册时间
2011-11-24
精华
帖子
发表于 2012-8-27 08:57:04 |只看该作者
本帖最后由 唐啊啊 于 2012-8-27 08:58 编辑

listen to park of a talk by a resident advisor in a dormitory for first year students.

I need to make sure you understand how to get housing for next year. When you entered school as first year students this year, the school assigned you to a dorm and a roommate, next year, as returning students, you will chose both the roommate and you dorm. But whether or not you actually get to live in your first choice depend on what the number you and your roommate draws from the lottery system, the system gives priority to the students who have been here longest. Fourth year students get the first block of numbers, third years get the second block, and the second years, like you, get the third. The lower number you get, the sooner you chose, number one get the first choice, number two get the second choice and so on.

You can use each of your own or your intended roommates' number to make room choice. If your roommates for next year has been in the school longer than you have, they will be in a better block of numbers, and so you would get a better number than any other second students. But most of you will probably be rooming with other second year students, and so neither of you may have the great number, and you will not get into your first or even second choice. Of course, if you've made plans to live off the campus, you do not need to enter the lottery at all.

Dorms space would be especially tight this year because the dorms on north campus will be closed for renovations. This means that those of you who have the worst numbers won't get the dorm housing at all, in that case, the housing office will help you find the off campus housing.
Renovation 翻新改造
Neither [ˈni:ðə]

使用道具 举报

声望
寄托币
注册时间
2011-11-24
精华
帖子
发表于 2012-8-26 10:28:58 |只看该作者
本帖最后由 唐啊啊 于 2012-8-26 10:30 编辑

1-13-3

Welcome to yellow stone national park, before we begin our (natural) nature walk today, I'd like to give you a short history of our national park service. The national park service began in the late (1900) 1800’s.

A small group of explorers have just (complicated the amount of) completed a month-long exploration of the region that is now yellow stone. The gather around the camp fire and after hours of discussion, they decided that they shouldn't (clean) claim this land for themselves, it should be accessible to everyone. So they began a (camping) campaign to preserve this land for everyone's enjoyment.

Two years later, in the late 19 century, an act of congress signed by present Ulysses S. Grant proclaimed that the yellow stone region a public park. It was the first national park in the world. After yellow stone became a public park, many other areas that of great (significant) scenic importance were set aside, and in 1916, the national stone park was established to manage these parks.

As a park ranger, I'm an employee of the national park service. In a national park, park rangers are on duty all time to answer questions and help visitors in any difficulty. Nature walks, guided tours and campfires talks are offered by specially training staff members. The park service also protects the plants and animals within the parks.
campaign
ranger

使用道具 举报

声望
寄托币
注册时间
2011-11-24
精华
帖子
发表于 2012-8-26 08:59:23 |只看该作者
好久没有来了,要坚持听啊

listen to a presentation given in a geology class.

first, I'd love to thank professor Ken for inviting me here, I'm not a geologist, but I have been collecting minerals for years. My collection is really diverse because I've traveled all over the world to find them. Today, I've brought a few specimens for you to see. After I discuss each one, I will pass it around so that you can look at it more closely.

as you know, (field spas)  feldspars are the most abundant minerals and are divided into a number of types. the first sample are orthoclases. Notice that they vary in color from white to pink to read, this glass one is found in a volcanic rock, in fact, i found it in New Mexico( in) on a collecting trip.

The next sample that will pass around is a microcline mineral, which is also called amazonstone. You can identify it by its bright green color, it is often used in jewelry and it is attractive.  

The final samples are plagioclase feldspars, many plagioclase are very rare, so I'm proud of my various collections.

I have also brought a few (slight) slides and some larger mineral samples, and if you turn out the lights now, I will show them to you

使用道具 举报

声望
寄托币
注册时间
2011-11-24
精华
帖子
发表于 2012-8-21 10:22:37 |只看该作者
(woman) We've just seen two contemporary large birds that cannot fly: the emu and the ostrich. Over here is an interesting specimen from the past. This stuffed animal is not the giant penguin it appears to be, but an auk. This particular kind of auk is very rare --- only 78 skins are known to exist and most are not preserved as well as this one. The great auk, as you can see, was a rather large bird, and it couldn't fly either. However, evidence suggests that the auk was an excellent swimmer and diver. Unfortunately, those abilities did not protect it from being easy prey for hungry sailors who yeas ago sailed the very cold and often icy waters of Greenland, Iceland, and Scotland. In fact, records indicate that the auk was rather tasty and that its eggs --- Excuse me... that its eggs and feathers were useful as well. Still, it isn't clear what other factors led to the big bird's demise around 1844, the last time anyone reported seeing one. Of course, we believe it's important to take extra precautions to preserve the remaining great auk skins. After all, these specimens should prove invaluable for future scientific research. Does anyone have any questions before we move on to our next bird exhibit?

使用道具 举报

声望
寄托币
注册时间
2011-11-24
精华
帖子
发表于 2012-8-21 10:18:29 |只看该作者
(woman) We've just seen two contemporary large birds that cannot fly: the emu and the ostrich. Over here is an interesting specimen from the past. This stuffed animal is not the giant penguin it appears to be, but an auk. This particular kind of auk is very rare --- only 78 skins are known to exist and most are not preserved as well as this one. The great auk, as you can see, was a rather large bird, and it couldn't fly either. However, evidence suggests that the auk was an excellent swimmer and diver. Unfortunately, those abilities did not protect it from being easy prey for hungry sailors who yeas ago sailed the very cold and often icy waters of Greenland, Iceland, and Scotland. In fact, records indicate that the auk was rather tasty and that its eggs --- Excuse me... that its eggs and feathers were useful as well. Still, it isn't clear what other factors led to the big bird's demise around 1844, the last time anyone reported seeing one. Of course, we believe it's important to take extra precautions to preserve the remaining great auk skins. After all, these specimens should prove invaluable for future scientific research. Does anyone have any questions before we move on to our next bird exhibit?

使用道具 举报

声望
寄托币
注册时间
2011-11-24
精华
帖子
发表于 2012-8-20 08:45:28 |只看该作者
:)

today, we are going to talk about shyness and discuss recent research on the ways to help children interact socially.

many people consider themselves shy. In fact, forty percent of people that took part in our (group)survey are very shy, that 2 out of every 5 people. And (our study) there are studies to indicate that the tendency of shyness may be inherited. but just because certain children are (talent) timid, does not mean they are doomed to be shy forever. There are things that parents, teachers and children themselves can do to overcome the tendency and even prevent it.

One researcher found that if parents gently push their shy children to try new things, this can help children become less afraid and less inhibited. another way to help shy children is to train them in social skills. For example, there are special training groups where children are taught things like looking at other children while talking to them, talking about other children's interests and even smiling.

These groups have been very successful at giving shy children a place to feel safe and be accepted, and build up their self-esteem.

·         Inherited adj. 遗传的;继承权的;通过继承得到的

·                 v. 继承;经遗传而得(inherit的过去分词)

·         inhibited adj. 抑制的;禁止的;羞怯的

·                   v. 抑制;控制(inhibit的过去分词)

使用道具 举报

声望
寄托币
注册时间
2011-11-24
精华
帖子
发表于 2012-8-19 09:41:54 |只看该作者
last week, we talked about the Anne street and the role of women in the Puritan colonies. Today, I want to talk about some women who have contributed to American history, some famous, and some not so famous.

The first woman i want to talk is Molly Pitcher., those of you who are familiar with the name might know she was a hero of the American's revolutionary. But, in fact, there never was a woman named Molly Pitcher. her real name was Mary Ludwig Hays, she got the nickname for her acts of bravery in the revolutionary war.

As the story goes, when Mary or Molly's husband Jone ** enlisted the artillery, mary followed, as many other wives did. She helped out in washing and cooking for the soldiers, She was known to be a pretty unusual woman --- she smoked a pipe and chewed tobacco.
Anyway, in the summer of 1778, at the battle of Monmouth. It was a blistering hot day, may be over hundred degrees and fifty soldiers died of thirst during the battle. Molly was not content to stay back at camp, instead, (she carry water in pictures from the small string out to the thirsty soldiers.) she ran through gunshots and cannon fire carrying water in pitchers from a small stream out to the thirsty American soldiers. The relief that she brought with her pitchers of water gave her the legendary nickname Molly Pitcher.
The story also says, she continued to load and fire her husband's canon after he was wounded.

they say, she was so well liked by the other soldiers that they called her "Sergeant Molly.", in fact, legend has it that George Washington himself gave her a special military title.

使用道具 举报

声望
寄托币
注册时间
2011-11-24
精华
帖子
发表于 2012-8-18 10:59:14 |只看该作者
本帖最后由 唐啊啊 于 2012-8-18 11:12 编辑

1-12-01
talk to a group of campus.

I know you are anxious to get your permits and get started, but there are a few thing I'd like to mention that may might help you avoid trouble during your stay.

First of all, make sure you carry adequate water, you will need it for your hiking, especially in this heat. A good rule to reference a good rule of thumb is to bring one gallon per person per day. Do not try to relay on the park's natural spring for all your water needs and do not use soap in the springs, it is your responsibility to protect the park's natural features.

For those of you staying beyond the weekend, make sure that you set up camp right well away from dry creek beds. We may gets some heavy rainfall, and the creek beds will be quickly be filled with water, you and all your equipment might end up washed downstream.

when you pick up your permits, you also will have a booklet, it will tell everything you need to know about the hiking trails, they varies in line length, of course, but most of them are under 5 miles, manativies relatively easy day hikes. Remember if you are hiking solo, make sure that someone know where you are going and when they can expect you back , and for your own safety, we recommend you not to climb the rocks, a lot of rocks in throughout the park are very unstable.

One final word, watch out for poisonous sneaks, Rattle sneak activity is at its peak this time of the year, especially at night. For your own good, we recommend wearing protective clothing, and carry a flashlight after dark.

a good rule of thumb is to。。。 。。。是个好方法,我愣是没听出来这个thumb。
creek beds 溪床
Rattle sneak 响尾蛇

使用道具 举报

声望
寄托币
注册时间
2011-11-24
精华
帖子
发表于 2012-8-18 08:21:42 |只看该作者
重复一下这段话,把我弄的郁闷了昨天
the system is so complex that our best computer models are only crude approximations and are not sophisticated enough to test about the causes of  climatic change.

使用道具 举报

声望
寄托币
注册时间
2011-11-24
精华
帖子
发表于 2012-8-17 11:59:09 |只看该作者
哇,这一句真的是太复杂了,不过写的也不错,我再默写一遍
the system is so complx that, to date, our best computer models are only crude approximations and are not sophisticated to test the hypotheses about the causes of climatic changes.

使用道具 举报

声望
寄托币
注册时间
2008-12-4
精华
帖子

Golden Apple 荣誉版主 IBT Zeal IBT Smart IBT Elegance 备考先锋

发表于 2012-8-17 11:54:55 |只看该作者
好认真啊
楼主加油

使用道具 举报

声望
寄托币
注册时间
2011-11-24
精华
帖子
发表于 2012-8-17 11:45:19 |只看该作者
本帖最后由 唐啊啊 于 2012-8-17 11:48 编辑

1-11-3

listen to part of a talk in a geology class.

today, I want to talk about the earth's last major climate shift, at the end of the last ice age.

But first, let's back a moment and review what we know in climate change in general, first, we define climate as consistent patterns of weather over a significant periods of time. In general, changes in climate occur when the energy balance of the earth is disturbed, solar energy at enter the earth atmosphere is as light and it radiated by the surface of the earth as heat. Land, water and ice, each affects the climate changes differently. (The system is so complex that the best computer model only make a approximate to the hypothesis about the causes of the climatic change.) 这一段我听出来了意思,但是就是写不出来。The system is so complex that, to date, our best computer models are only crude approximations and are not sophisticated enough to test hypotheses about the causes of climatic change.
Of course, that didn't keep us from speculating. For instance, volcanical activity is one  magnism mechanism that might affect the climate change. when large volcanos erupt,they disperse tons of particle into the up atmosphere and the particles then reflect light. since less light is entering the system of energy exchange, the result would be a cooling of the Earth’s surface.

Of course, this is just one possible mechanism of the global climate change, in all probability, a complete explanation will involve several different mechanism operating at the same time.

Explain--explanation

Mechanism n. 机制;原理,途径;进程;机械装置;技巧,竟然又没有听出来

hypotheses hypothesis 的复数形式
sophisticated 竟然听出来了不晓得是啥意思,哎

crude approximation

使用道具 举报

声望
寄托币
注册时间
2011-11-24
精华
帖子