注册时间
2001-4-3
精华
帖子

Aries白羊座 荣誉版主

发表于 2004-10-9 19:00:59 |只看该作者
我是从这买到的:
http://www.powells.com/cgi-bin/biblio?inkey=91-5551350088-0

8 Do you agree or disagree with the following statement? Television has destroyed communication among friends and family. Use specific reasons and examples to support your opinion.

To agree or disagree with the statement that television has destroyed the communication among family and friends is a matter of balancing its pros and cons. However, if one considers the following reasons, he or she may disagree with the title statement as I do.

First, some people may hold the view that friends and family would easily fight with each other for the programs on the television that he or she wants to watch. For example, the child may be likely to switch to the cartoon channel while the father wants to see the news program, and the mother prefers a romantic movie. However as far as I am concerned, the scenario is an exaggeration. I do not think such a trivial quarrel would destroy anything important, and as friends or family, the one result is to attribute to the communication. Each person would present their reasons for watching the program, so that next time they would not argue for the same thing again. They know the taste of each number of the family and they will probably try to avoid such conflicts.

In addition, television offers us numerous topics to talk about. Television informs us of what is happening around the world. Everybody has his/her own reaction towards these events. Without television, we may hold the idea that no one would have the chance to share. When the friends and the whole family sit tighter in front of a television, a nice and intimate atmosphere is provided for communication. Through such kind of communication, family members can understand each other better. A small example may give some light to this point. Once I had some disagreement and had not talk to my dad for several days. One night, when my dad and I were watching television together, we found an interesting topic that both of us wanted to say something about it, so we said a little first and talk much later and all the unpleasant disappear out of existence.

So, in my point of view, nothing has been destroyed by television. On the contrary it might improve our communication.
天地有万古,此身不再得;
人生只百年,此日最易过。
幸生其间者,
不可不知有生之乐,
亦不可不怀虚生之忧。

使用道具 举报

声望
寄托币
注册时间
2001-4-3
精华
帖子

Aries白羊座 荣誉版主

发表于 2004-10-10 21:29:04 |只看该作者
9 Some people prefer to live in a small town, Others prefer to live in a big city. Which place would you prefer to live in? Use specific reasons and details to support your answer.

I grew up in a small town and then moved to a big city, therefore I have experienced the good and bad sides of both. I never thought that I would like living in a big city, but I was proved wrong. After ten years of living in one, I can't imagine ever living in a small town again.

Small towns and big cities both have some problems in terms of transportation, but in different ways. In a small town, you have to own a car to ensure a comfortable living. You can't get around without one because there isn't any kind of public transportation. Big cities generally have heavy traffic and expensive parking, but then you have a choice of taking public transportation. It's not free, but it's often cheaper than driving when you consider gas and insurance. Especially if you don't have a car, you're better off living in a city.

I love the excitement of big cities. Small towns have a slow pace. Large cities mean you have to adapt to a variety of situations, like finding a new route to work or trying a new restaurant. I enjoy that challenge very much. Another aspect of the excitement of city living is the variety of cultural activities available. There is a wide assortment of theatres, music and dance performances available in big cities. These things are rare in small towns.

The final thing I like about large cities is the diversity of the people. The United States is made up of people of different races, religions, abilities, and interests. However, you seldom find such a variety of people in a small US town. Living in an area where everyone is just like me would quickly make me bored.
Of course, security is a concern, and that's one area where small towns are superior to big cities. Still, I would rather be a bit more cautious and live in a large city than to feel secure but bored in a small town.
天地有万古,此身不再得;
人生只百年,此日最易过。
幸生其间者,
不可不知有生之乐,
亦不可不怀虚生之忧。

使用道具 举报

声望
寄托币
注册时间
2001-4-3
精华
帖子

Aries白羊座 荣誉版主

发表于 2004-10-11 14:03:40 |只看该作者
10 "When people succeed, it is because of hard work, Luck has nothing to do with success." Do you agree or disagree with the quotation above? Use specific and examples to explain your position.

There is a humorous saying in English "The grass is always greener on the other side of the valley." The saying is used ironically to point out that there is a temptation in us all to insist that others are more fortunate than we are. This is nowhere more true than on the question of luck and hard work. When faced with the "bad times", we often find comfort in the idea that we are special in our degree of misfortune. I feel that such an attitude is negative, and that it can bring only further misfortune.

Many famously successful people have begun from small origins. Mao was the son of a (modestly prosperous) peasant; the explorer Captain Cook was so poor that, as a child, he had to work by day and study by night; many of the affluent Americans of today are the children of the poor immigrants of yesterday. Beethoven, it should be remembered, became deaf before the end of his career. There are many, many more people who have also made genuine, though Jess spectacular, successes against the odds.

Within his own terms, a person who is born into poverty in India is a great success if he manages to own a house in later life. Poverty cannot be reduced by merely complaining and blaming others: no matter how guilty other people are, each individual must reach out to success for himself. Indeed, some economists believe that the world operates by what they call "the rule of the jungle." They believe that in economics a person always attempts to gain profit from his neighbor: that given the chance the poor man would quickly make himself rich by trading to his own advantage.

Also, it is presumptuous to judge another according to his or her apparent fortune. No man can ever truly understand the sufferings of his neighbor. A man who appears comfortably rich may have suffered elsewhere in his life -through the death of a loved one, for example. Retired businessmen have often worked long hours in their youth. Surely, it must be wiser to respect achievement than to deny that anyone has achieved good in the world.

To rely on notions of luck - to believe that life is a kind of lottery - is an attempt to escape reality. Paradoxically, the only time a person can claim that luck is more important than work is when he reflects on his own success. Because of that modesty, the great man then becomes even greater.
天地有万古,此身不再得;
人生只百年,此日最易过。
幸生其间者,
不可不知有生之乐,
亦不可不怀虚生之忧。

使用道具 举报

声望
寄托币
注册时间
2001-4-3
精华
帖子

Aries白羊座 荣誉版主

发表于 2004-10-12 18:38:13 |只看该作者
11   Do you agree or disagree with the following statement?  Universities should give the same amount of money to their students' sports activities as they give to their university libraries. Use specific reasons and examples to support your opinion.

When it comes to the issue of the arrangement of the university budget, some people suggest that universities should spend more money on their libraries rather than on student's sports activities, while others maintain the opposite view. As far as I am concerned, the former point carries more weight. I take this view on account of the following reasons.

First of all, libraries are the places that maintain records of traditional theories, which are priceless treasure of human being. To keep these important materials, a lot of special devices have to be purchased. For example, a vacuum chamber that is used to keep a book printed hundreds of years ago may cost a fortune and constant budget has to be applied for its maintenance.

Second point to take into account is that libraries need more money to meet the need of the increasing development of technology. With the exponential leaps of the information technology in the recent years, massive amount of information can be easily and instantaneously obtained through computers and the Internet. Libraries also have to purchase such equipment, which may be very expensive, to meet the student's acquirements.

Last not least, the quality and quantity of the library indicate the level of a university. Therefore, if one university wants to achieve a better recognition, it must spent more money to improve the overall situation of its libraries.

Just as the English proverb goes, "a coin has two sides" those who take the opposite view are partly reasonable that more sports activities and better physical conditions will greatly promote student's health. But with the factors I outlined, I still believe that applying more budget on university libraries is much more important than sports equipment.
天地有万古,此身不再得;
人生只百年,此日最易过。
幸生其间者,
不可不知有生之乐,
亦不可不怀虚生之忧。

使用道具 举报

声望
寄托币
注册时间
2004-10-11
精华
帖子
发表于 2004-10-14 11:54:33 |只看该作者
大侠继续发啊~~
偶一直在等呢~~~:)
谢谢!!

使用道具 举报

声望
寄托币
注册时间
2004-3-1
精华
帖子
发表于 2004-10-14 13:34:25 |只看该作者
more!thanks
她给了我无穷的奋斗激情
她给了我无量的征服欲望
她给了我无限的人生目标
她就是我至死不渝的爱人

我出国只有一个目标
那就是让她过上幸福的生活
男人其实就这么简单

使用道具 举报

声望
寄托币
注册时间
2001-4-3
精华
帖子

Aries白羊座 荣誉版主

发表于 2004-10-14 13:43:01 |只看该作者
12  Many people visit museums when they travel to new places. Why do you think people visit museums? Use specific reasons and examples to support your answer.
When people travel to new places, they often choose the local museums as a must-see place. Sometimes the museums are even more attractive than the most famous place of interest. This phenomenon can be easily explained if the function of museums is taken into account. As we have known, museums can help us understand the history, the customs and the most representative arts and crafts of a place.

Different place has different history. And the most convenient way to understand the history is to visit the local museum. Last year when I traveled to Xi'an, an ancient city of China, I went to the history museum to explore the course of the city's development. With the background knowledge provided by the museum, I found that it was much easier for me to understand the city. So the museum can take away barriers between the tourists and the city by help the tourists to be familiar with the city's history history. To a tourist, the most interesting aspect of a new place is usually its customs, which can be demonstrated by the local museum. The Beijing Custom Museum vividly shows the real life, the traditions and customs of typical Beijingnese. A visitor can satisfy his curiosity by learning about the origin and characteristics of the quart-yard - the traditional residential building style of Beijing. Thus, with the help of museums, tourists can have a deeper understanding of local people's life and their customs.

Every place has its own representative arts and crafts. Tourists can have the access to a wonderful show of these arts and crafts in the local museum. For example, in the town of Jing-De-Zhen, which is famous for its pottery-making, tourists can be excited by the beautiful pottery products and the complicated making process exhibited in the pottery museum. It will be a pity if a tourist missed the wonderful show of the local arts and crafts in the museum.

In a word, museums serve as a bridge between tourists and the place they visit. That is why people are so eager to visit museums when they travel to new places.
天地有万古,此身不再得;
人生只百年,此日最易过。
幸生其间者,
不可不知有生之乐,
亦不可不怀虚生之忧。

使用道具 举报

声望
寄托币
注册时间
2004-6-16
精华
帖子
发表于 2004-10-14 13:51:31 |只看该作者
瞻仰楼主中...

使用道具 举报

声望
寄托币
注册时间
2001-4-3
精华
帖子

Aries白羊座 荣誉版主

发表于 2004-10-14 14:03:10 |只看该作者
明天后天周日出去玩,再补充三篇,也算是给10T的加加油!祝大家好运!

13    Some people prefer to eat at food stands or restaurants. Other people prefer to prepare and eat food at home. Which do you prefer? Use specific reasons and examples to support your answer.

Nowadays, some people like to eat at home and prepare food by themselves, but others prefer to eat out side in restaurants or at food stands. As far as I am concerned, I prefer to eat at home.

Of course there are some advantages to eat out. Firstly, restaurants offer a more comfortable environment to eat and the food there tastes more delicious than home-cooked meals. In addition, eating at restaurants is a good way of getting together with friends. People also do not need to worry about washing dishes and cleaning. For people who are too busy to cook, eating out is certainly an ideal choice. Furthermore, for people do not know how to cook and do not have some one to cook for them, eat out seems to be the only choice.

However, I prefer to cook and eat and home. The main reason is that at home, family members can prepare their meals and enjoying their food together, which can enhance their relationships. Family members can talk, make jokes and exchange feelings on current affairs with each other while preparing a meal. Parents have a chance to communicate with their kids and keep track of what they are thinking and doing; while children can learn to help with some household tasks and develop intimacy with their parents. Image that you and your brothers and sisters help your mother to cook on a weekend, and enjoy the food later on, and you feel everything is so nice.

Another reason is that eating at home can save money. The same amount of money that you spend on a meal in a restaurant can buy a lot more foods from a supermarket. You can use the money saved to buy a new cloth, or attend a concert.

General speaking, eating out side is comfortable and convenient, but eating at home has more benefits. I prefer to eat at home.
天地有万古,此身不再得;
人生只百年,此日最易过。
幸生其间者,
不可不知有生之乐,
亦不可不怀虚生之忧。

使用道具 举报

声望
寄托币
注册时间
2001-4-3
精华
帖子

Aries白羊座 荣誉版主

发表于 2004-10-14 14:06:25 |只看该作者
14    Some people believe that university students should be required to attend classes. Others believe that going to classes should be optional for students. Which point of view do you agree with? Use specific reasons and details to explain your answer.

The extent to what level of efficiency modern education system could perform in teaching students is always a hot topic. Among many developing suggestions that could improve learning efficiency, the necessity of attending class has been argued frequently in recent years. When it comes to whether giving students freedom of attending class as an optional choice or not, tradition has it that class is a firm part of the school life. Nevertheless, in my part, I prefer having the rights as individuals to make our own decisions about attending a class.

I believe that studying out of class does certainly save our time and make learning more comfortable. Take e-learning at home as an example: students may learn at home via "visual classes", which are powered by computer and the Internet installed at home instead of pens & paper and white board in a classroom. Being connected with professors in different locations, learners do not need to battle rash-hour traffic for going to campus. Indeed, students could do their research at home or even at a vacation hotel. With modern technology, people could choose to learn any topic no matter what they are doing - drinking, eating or even listening music, at anywhere and any time. Therefore, studying without a real class attending requirement will save our time, and offer a comfortable learning environment.

Another advantage of making class an optional choice is that people could customize their learning process according to their own interests and capabilities. While classic class leverages learning speed and depth to satisfy every student in the class as a whole, learning out of class means self-control. Students choose to attend one class because its topic is just suitable for his study plan, and discard another class because he had learned it in advance during the weekend at home. He may then accelerate his studying speed and go on to the further topics that interest him.

Admittedly, attending class at regular time has its own advantages. Students in a real class may be regulated by a teacher to concentrate on their study. Teachers, who are well trained, could also give learners professional guides and interesting demos. Moreover, some special programs such as physical exercises and experiments may only be conducted at real classes.

All in all, from what I have been discussed above, I suggest granting students rights of making their own decisions for attending classes. To make classes optional in universities will certainly bring advantages for learning and benefit the whole society.
天地有万古,此身不再得;
人生只百年,此日最易过。
幸生其间者,
不可不知有生之乐,
亦不可不怀虚生之忧。

使用道具 举报

声望
寄托币
注册时间
2001-4-3
精华
帖子

Aries白羊座 荣誉版主

发表于 2004-10-14 14:10:17 |只看该作者
15   Neighbors are the people who live near us. In your opinion, what are the qualities of a good neighbor? Use specific details and examples in your answer.

Human beings are social animals. It is therefore their instinct to live together. This factor has contributed towards civilization that gave rise to splendid cities and towns. However the basic unit of all these grand cities, and for that matter any human settlement is a neighborhood. Since we are social animals, we have to interact with each other and develop social relationship. In this regard, it is imperative to develop warm convivial relationship with our neighbors. For this purpose, it is also very important to have good neighbors as neighbors play a very important role in one's life.

There are many attributes of a good neighbor. First of all, a good neighbor should be a responsible person, mindful of others' rights, which include privacy, peace and security. A good neighbor must therefore avoid unnecessary intrusions into his or her neighbors' personal matters. Also, a good neighbor must avoid practices that are likely to disturb the peace of his or her neighbors, like creating noise, organizing congregations at odd hours, indulging in altercations with them that are likely to cause tension in the neighborhood.

Secondly, a good neighbor must be caring towards others and be ready to help them in time of need. This is especially true when there is a emergency, like a fire, an earthquake or other calamities. In such a situation, neighbors are the first ones who can provide help to those unfortunate ones who have been struck with the adversity, and must do so in a selfless manner. Also there may be instances when one may have to leave his or her family, especially children at home due to unavoidable circumstances. In such a situation a good neighbor is required to take care of their needs and help them in all ways possible.

There may be cases where there are neighbors who are not financially well off. In such cases a good neighbor is required to be helpful towards the unfortunate ones in all possible ways, like sharing one's food with them, or providing them with gifts.

It is said that one has the liberty to choose friends but one may not have the luxury to choose neighbors. Having good neighbors is thus a blessing and one must value good neighbors, while trying to be good neighbors towards them.
天地有万古,此身不再得;
人生只百年,此日最易过。
幸生其间者,
不可不知有生之乐,
亦不可不怀虚生之忧。

使用道具 举报

声望
寄托币
注册时间
2005-12-17
精华
帖子