打印 上一主题 下一主题

和我一起从头开始准备10fall——申请相关所有文书信件的写作系列 1-6 [复制链接]

声望
寄托币
注册时间
2008-1-2
精华
帖子

Sagittarius射手座 AW活动特殊奖 AW作文修改奖 IBT Elegance 挑战ETS奖章 US Advisor US Assistant 荣誉版主

跳转到指定楼层
楼主
发表于 2009-7-12 19:29:16 |只看该作者 |倒序浏览
本帖最后由 草木也知愁 于 2009-9-19 11:26 编辑

和我一起从头开始准备10fall——申请相关所有文书信件的写作系列 汇总贴

草木注:这一期真的非常重要,一定要好好看

Cover Letter Presentation

This resource was written by Stacy Lolkus and Allen Brizee.
Last full revision by .
Last edited by Allen Brizee on March 9th 2009 at 3:45PM

Summary: This presentation is designed to help students with their cover letters.

Cover Letter Workshop - Formatting and Organization

The cover letter is one of the most challenging documents you may ever write: you must write about yourself without sounding selfish and self-centered.

The solution to this is to explain how your values and goals align with the prospective organization's and to discuss how your experience will fulfill the job requirements. Before we get to content, however, you need to know how to format your cover letter in a professional manner.

Formatting your cover letter

Your cover letter should convey a professional message. Of course, the particular expectations of a professional format depend on the organization you are looking to join. For example, an accounting position at a legal firm will require a more traditional document format. A position as an Imagineer at Disney might require a completely different approach. Again, a close audience analysis of the company and the position will yield important information about the document expectations. Let the organization's communications guide your work.

For this example, we are using a traditional approach to cover letters:

格式要求:

·Single-space your cover letter

·Leave a space between each paragraph

·Leave three spaces between your salutation (such as "Sincerely" or "Sincerely Yours") and typed name

·Leave a space between your heading (contact information) and greeting (such as, "Dear Mr. Roberts")

·Either align all paragraphs to the left of the page, or indent the first line of each paragraph to the right

·Use standard margins for your cover letter, such as one-inch margins on all sides of the document

·Center your letter in the middle of the page; in other words, make sure that the space at the top and bottom of the page is the same

·Sign your name in ink between your salutation and typed name

Organizing your cover letter

A cover letter has four essential parts: heading, introduction, argument, and closing.

The heading

In your heading, include your contact information:

·name
·address
·phone number
·email address

The date and company contact information should directly follow your contact information. Use spacing effectively in order to keep this information more organized and readable. Use the link at the top of this resource to view a sample cover letter - please note the letter is double-spaced for readability purposes only.

Addressing your cover letter

Whenever possible, you should address your letter to a specific individual, the person in charge of interviewing and hiring (the hiring authority). Larger companies often have standard procedures for dealing with solicited and unsolicited resumes and cover letters. Sending your employment documents to a specific person increases the chances that they will be seriously reviewed by the company.——陶瓷

When a job advertisement does not provide you with the name of the hiring authority, call the company to ask for more information. Even if your contact cannot tell you the name of the hiring authority, you can use this time to find out more about the company.——打电话很重要

If you cannot find out the name of the hiring authority, you may address your letter to "hiring professionals" - e.g., "Dear Hiring Professionals."

The introduction

The introduction should include a salutation, such as "Dear Mr. Roberts:" If you are uncertain of your contact's gender, avoid using Mr. or Mrs. by simply using the person's full name.——称呼语

The body of your introduction can be organized in many ways. However, it is important to include, who you are and why you are writing. It can also state how you learned about the position and why you are interested in it. (This might be the right opportunity to briefly relate your education and/or experience to the requirements of the position.)

Many people hear of job openings from contacts associated with the company. If you wish to include a person's name in your cover letter, make certain that your reader has a positive relationship with the person.
In some instances, you may have previously met the reader of your cover letter. In these instances it is acceptable to use your introduction to remind your reader of who you are and briefly discuss a specific topic of your previous conversation(s). ——套近乎

Most important is to briefly overview why your values and goals align with the organization's and how you will help them. You should also touch on how you match the position requirements. By reviewing how you align with the organization and how your skills match what they're looking for, you can forecast the contents of your cover letter before you move into your argument.

The argument

Your argument is an important part of your cover letter, because it allows you to persuade your reader why you are a good fit for the company and the job. Carefully choose what to include in your argument. You want your argument to be as powerful as possible, but it shouldn't cloud your main points by including excessive or irrelevant details about your past. In addition, use your resume (and refer to it) as the source of "data" you will use and expand on in your cover letter.

In your argument, you should try to:

·Show your reader you possess the most important skills s/he seeks (you're a good match for the organization's mission/goals and job requirements).

·Convince your reader that the company will benefit from hiring you (how you will help them).

·Include in each paragraph a strong reason why your employer should hire you and how they will benefit from the relationship.

·Maintain an upbeat(乐观的)/personable(有风度的) tone.

·Avoid explaining your entire resume but use your resume as a source of data to support your argument (the two documents should work together).

Reminder: When writing your argument, it is essential for you to learn as much as possible about the company and the job

The closing

Your closing restates your main points and reveals what you plan to do after your readers have received your resume and cover letter. We recommend you do the following in your closing:

·Restate why you align with the organization's mission/goals.

·Restate why your skills match the position requirements and how your experience will help the organization.

·Inform your readers when you will contact them.

·Include your phone number and e-mail address.

·Thank your readers for their consideration.

A sample closing:

I believe my coursework and work experience in electrical engineering will help your Baltimore division attain its goals, and I look forward to meeting with you to discuss the job position further. I will contact you before June 5th to discuss my application. If you wish to contact me, I may be reached at 765-555-6473, or by e-mail at jwillis3@e-mail-link.com. Thank you for your time and consideration.

Although, this closing may seem bold, potential employers will read your documents with more interest if they know you will be calling them in the future. Also, many employment authorities prefer candidates who are willing to take the initiative to follow-up. Additionally, by following up, you are able to inform prospective employers that you're still interested in the position and determine where the company is in the hiring process. When you tell readers you will contact them, it is imperative that you do so. It will not reflect well on you if you forget to call a potential employer when you said you would. It's best to demonstrate your punctuality and interest in the company by calling when you say you will.

If you do not feel comfortable informing your readers when you will contact them, ask your readers to contact you, and thank them for their time. For example:

Please contact me at 765-555-6473, or by e-mail at jwillis3@e-mail-link.com. I look forward to speaking with you. Thank you for your time and consideration.

Before you send the cover letter

Always proofread your cover letter carefully. After you've finished, put it aside for a couple of days if time allows, and then reread it. More than likely, you will discover sentences that could be improved, or grammatical errors that could otherwise prove to be uncharacteristic of your writing abilities. Furthermore, we recommend giving your cover letter to friends and colleagues. Ask them for ways to improve it; listen to their suggestions and revise your document as you see fit.

Example Employment Documents

Annotated Example Employment Documents

Cover Letters 1:Quick Tips

This resource was written by Angie Olson.
Last full revision by Angie Olson.
Last edited by Allen Brizee on March 9th 2009 at 3:46PM

Summary: This page provides a down-and-dirty guide to writing cover letters. Here you will find brief answers and lists of what you should include in a cover letter, how to order and format such a letter, and what to do before sending it out.

What Is a Cover Letter?

A cover letter introduces you and your resume to potential employers or organizations you seek to join (non-profits, educational institutions, etc). It is the first document an employer sees, so it is often the first impression you will make. Take advantage of this important first impression and prepare the reader for your application, stating why you are writing, why you are a good match for the job and the organization, and when you will contact him or her.

Cover letters do more than introduce your resume, though. A cover letter's importance also includes its ability to:

·Explain your experiences in a story-like format that works with the information provided in your resume

·Allow you to go in-depth about important experiences/skills and relate them to job requirements

·Show the employer that you are individualizing (tailoring) this job application

·Provide a sample of your written communication skills

Cover Letters 2: Preparing to Write a Cover Letter

Last edited by Allen Brizee on March 9th 2009 at 3:47PM

Summary: Before you start to write a cover letter, you should gather information about yourself, the company, and the job. This page will help you learn what kind of information to find, where to find it, and how and why to use that information to "sell yourself" in a cover letter.

How can I learn what will impress prospective employers?

In order to impress prospective employers when writing a cover letter, you must first know what they are looking for in candidates. Learning more about the company itself—and what they value—can help you do this. Here are some suggestions:
·Read the job advertisement carefully
·Research the corporate website, read and try to understand their mission statement (sometimes an organization's mission may not be overtly stated)
·Call "insiders" (people that work with the company)
·Refer to your university's career center if you are at college

Cover Letters 3: Writing Your Cover Letter

Last edited by Allen Brizee on March 9th 2009 at 3:47PM

Summary: "Writing Your Cover Letter" is a series of short documents that walks you through the creation of a cover letter. Here you can see the information in the "Quick Tips for Cover Letters" and "Preparing to Write a Cover Letter" pages put to use. This page guides you through adapting your experiences to the content in your cover letter and its different sections.

What do I include in my cover letter heading?

The heading provides your contact information, the date you are writing, and the address of the company to which you are applying.

For your contact information, you will want to include the following:

·Your name
·The address where you can be reached (if you live at college, will it be more accessible to include the local address or your permanent address?)
·Phone number
·Fax number (if applicable)
·E-mail address

Then, you will skip a line and write the full date (month, day, year). Follow this by skipping a space and writing the contact information for the person to whom you are writing:

·Name of the specific person
·Title of that person (if available)
·Address of the company

The reason you write your phone/fax number and email address is to make it easy for the company to contact you. You do not need to put this information down for the company itself.

Example:
Craig M. Leroix
2987 W. Taylor Dr.
Portland, OR 45720
890-372-1262
cmleroix@anywhere.com

February 2, 2005
Amy Kincaid, Human Resource Director
Western Electric, Inc.
387 Collier Lane
Atlanta, Georgia 30051

To whom do I address my letter?

Whenever possible, address your letter to a specific individual, usually the person in charge of interviewing and hiring. Doing so will give you a greater chance of having your application packet read and not filed away automatically.

Here are some ideas on how to get the name of a specific person:

·Look in the job ad for the contact person.
·Call the company for more information.
·Research the company's website for the person in charge of the department you are applying to, or a person in Human Resources.

If you cannot find the name of that person, you may address your letter to a group. For example:
Dear Hiring Professionals:
Dear Selection Committee:

If you find the name, but cannot decipher the gender of the person, you may greet that person using their full name instead of their last name. For example:
Dear Ms. Kincaid, (For Amy Kincaid)
Dear Pat Thompson, (For Pat Thompson)

What do I include in my introduction?

The introduction of your cover letter should begin with a greeting to a specific person ("Dear Ms. Kincaid"), followed by a statement of who you are and why you are writing (why you are a good candidate).
Please refer to the resource section "To Whom Do I Address My Letter" for more information about the greeting of a cover letter.

How to catch the attention of the reader

As the purpose of your introduction is to catch the reader's attention and make you stand out, you need to be as specific as possible in this section. Here are some tips on how to start your introduction:

·State the university you attend, your major, and what position you are applying for (if you are a student).
·Mention where you heard about the job.
·Mention the name of a professor or other contact who has a positive connection with the company.
·Bring up any previous conversations you have had with your reader (i.e., at a job fair).

Some examples:

As a Purdue University junior in Electrical Engineering, I would like to fill the position of Engineering Internship advertised on General Electric's website.Professor Gene Smith speaks highly of Western Electric, and he urged me to write directly to you.I have been thinking about our conversation at Purdue's Career Fair on January 26. I agree that a team spirit and strong work ethic are vital for success, and I believe I can bring these qualities to your company.

How to make a strong claim for yourself.

After gaining the initial attention of the reader, you must make a strong claim about your candidacy and that you match the needs of the job and the company. Clearly state two-three qualifications you have that match the company/position. These qualifications will then be the focus of your body paragraphs and arguments. Some examples:

I agree that a team spirit and strong work ethic are vital for success, and I believe I can bring these qualities to your company.

I believe that my production experience, design skills, and enthusiasm for writing make me a strong candidate for the Production/Design Internship.

What do I include in my argument/body?

In the body of your cover letter (the argument), you should describe the most important qualifications to show why you are a good match for the job and the company.

You should focus your cover letter's body around the two-three qualifications you mention in the introduction. In each paragraph you can concentrate on one quality, seeking to answer the following two questions:

How can I show I am qualified for this position and that I am a good match for the organization?

• What have I done that illustrates these qualifications?

How can I show I am qualified for this position and that I am a good match for the organization?

You do not want to only mention the skills that you possess; you also have to show that you possess them!

When writing about your skills, you can think of it as telling a story. You should describe the experiences of how you received and grew your skills, mentioning specific places you worked and positions you held.

For example:

My communication skills in the workplace have grown because of my internships. When I was an intern at Newberry & Jones, I wrote memos and letters to customers and colleagues on a daily basis. This experience taught me to write professionally and to-the-point.

What have I done that illustrates these qualifications?

Along with explaining your skills, you want to describe how your experience with that skill is unique. Many people may have communication skills, but have you won an award or scholarship for technical writing? Be specific and match this information to your resume

Here are some ideas about what might set you apart:

·Special projects
oExplain course work that gives you a type of professional experience.

·Awards
oShow that others have recognized the high quality of your work.
oInclude only those awards that relate to the position you desire.

·Accomplishments
oDemonstrate how you improved efficiency/productivity at work or school.
oInclude what you did at school that proves your skills.
oExplain how you set a goal and reached it.

For example:

While at Purdue University, I participated in a collaborative web-consulting project for a Technical Writing class. With two peers, I served as a web consultant for a local business, Patters' Painters. In order to make feasible recommendations for revisions, additions, and deletions to Patters' Painters' website, we conducted interviews, observed the workplace, and completed multiple web analyses...I believe these experiences match the requirements you outline in the job description.

What do I include in my closing?

A closing sums up your qualifications and reveals what you plan to do after your readers have receive your application packet (resume, cover letter, etc.)

Here are our recommended tips for closing your cover letter:

·Close with a strong reminder of why you are a good match for the job position and the organization.
·Request an interview in some way.
·Provide contact information.
·Thank them!
·Sign your name and print it underneath.

For example:

I am eager to speak with you and discuss my possible contribution to Country Press, as I feel my experiences in communication and customer service will be an asset to the company. I will be in touch with you within a week, and if you need to reach me, you can call 423-512-1143, or email me at anyone@anywhere.com. Thank you for your time and consideration.

Stating that you will contact the potential employer will cause them to read your application materials with more interest. Therefore, you have a better chance that your materials will not be filed away. By following up, you can achieve three goals:

·Inform the employers that you are still interested.
·Prove you can take the initiative to call.
·Discover where you are in the hiring process.

If you do not feel comfortable informing your readers when you will contact them, you may simply delete that part of the closing.

For example:
I am eager to speak with you and discuss my possible contribution to Country Press, as I feel my experiences in communication and customer service will be an asset to the company. Please contact me at 423-512-1143, or email me at anyone@anywhere.com. Thank you for your time and consideration.

If you say you will call, though, do not forget to do so.
附件: 你需要登录才可以下载或查看附件。没有帐号?立即注册
已有 1 人评分寄托币 声望 收起 理由
小籁 + 20 + 5 Great!

总评分: 寄托币 + 20  声望 + 5   查看全部投币

回应

使用道具 举报

声望
寄托币
注册时间
2008-1-2
精华
帖子

Sagittarius射手座 AW活动特殊奖 AW作文修改奖 IBT Elegance 挑战ETS奖章 US Advisor US Assistant 荣誉版主

沙发
发表于 2009-9-19 11:27:03 |只看该作者
update

使用道具 举报

声望
寄托币
注册时间
2007-8-31
精华
帖子

荣誉版主 QQ联合登录 IBT Elegance US Advisor US Assistant VISA版特殊贡献

板凳