寄托币
注册时间
2009-9-15
精华
帖子
跳转到指定楼层
楼主
发表于 2009-9-17 17:38:31 |只看该作者 |倒序浏览
就是像物理化学教育学那样的,只考统计一门。你们说的转统计考的sub不会指的是数学sub吧?
回应

使用道具 举报

声望
寄托币
注册时间
2009-9-15
精华
帖子
沙发
发表于 2009-9-17 17:53:06 |只看该作者
还有想问学统计对数学基础的要求高吗?如果不会微积分数论分析等等一些课程能学得来统计吗?请哪位朋友指点一下,谢谢了!

使用道具 举报

声望
寄托币
注册时间
2006-2-9
精华
帖子

QQ联合登录 IBT Elegance Virgo处女座 GRE斩浪之魂 US Advisor Golden Apple 荣誉版主

板凳
发表于 2009-9-17 20:44:46 |只看该作者
本帖最后由 hyacinth 于 2009-9-17 20:46 编辑

yes, we meant math sub....

you should have some analysis background for statistics... but if you are just going after master, like master of applied statistics... i think it'll be fine even if you dont have any exposure to analysis before....

使用道具 举报

声望
寄托币
注册时间
2009-9-15
精华
帖子
地板
发表于 2009-9-17 22:04:10 |只看该作者
本帖最后由 亨利iv 于 2009-9-17 22:28 编辑

3# hyacinth Thanks a lot for your advice, it has been very helpful indeed. But I have got some other questions which I really hope you or some other friends could help me with. Since you must have a thorough knowledge in the field of statistics and are aware of the challenges and requirements lying ahead, do you think it is possible for a liberal arts student to start from scratch(with a mathematic level of highschool graduate), within a year of self-study and be qualified to admission in the department of applied statistics of US graduate college--without having to go through the in-depth study of college math theories like calculus?
I have always perceived statistics as a discipline of art instead of science. What they are stressing out there should not be one's background nor skill nor proficiency but creativity. Truely we naturally need some fundamental knowlege of college math as a tool. Though I don't know what the work of staticticians would involve or to what degree is it relavant to higher mathematics, I believe that we cannot be trained as practicianers. I wonder if they would apply a strict requirement of certain level of math in choosing future graduate students even in applied area? A lot of people are going to work in the field of statistics but not all of them are mathematicians.
I am an undergraduate majoring in English. But recently I found majoring in English equals to majoring in nothing, as least nothing pursuasive. I want to learn something solid which can provide me an OFFER and a Job. So any body help me to clarify my path?
概括起来就是:大学文科生仅有高中数学基础半路出家自学一年能达到申请统计Master标准吗?统计(应用)这个专业适合中途去学吗?以往有文科生相对成功的案例吗? 恳请大虾稍作解答,敝人不胜感激。

使用道具 举报

声望
寄托币
注册时间
2006-2-9
精华
帖子

QQ联合登录 IBT Elegance Virgo处女座 GRE斩浪之魂 US Advisor Golden Apple 荣誉版主

发表于 2009-9-17 23:06:54 |只看该作者
i think high school level math in China is enough... if you worked hard in high school...

basically you point is you want to learn something practical....but not sure if you can handle it...
my advice would be , you go to some grad school's website, check their specific requirements for master of applied statistics or equivalence, and go through their course descriptions. then you will have a general idea about what is going on in grad school level statistics courses.

i know there are schools offering admissions to applicants who do not meet all the prerequisites of their certain programs. they let the students in and ask them to take extra credits on those courses.  as a matter of fact, the advanced calculus class i m taking this term, has a bunch of graduate students from mainland.

so i would say, dont worry too much about it.  but you must make sure you can handle statistics before you set your mind on changing major.
to me, english is a good major as well...

使用道具 举报

声望
寄托币
注册时间
2008-5-6
精华
帖子
发表于 2009-9-18 10:07:08 |只看该作者
I heard about some people without quantitative got into Stat program. But it was several years ago and now the competition is intense.

As hyacinth mentioned, some programs allow you to catch up after you get in. I don't think the number of such programs are large.

Most Stat programs state that first year calculus and linear algebra are minimum requirement. You DO need them in order to study mathematical statistics, statistical inference, and other core courses.

I'm sorry to say that your chance is not so great.

使用道具 举报

RE: 统计有专门的sub吗? [修改]
您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 立即注册

问答
Offer
投票
面经
最新
精华
转发
转发该帖子
统计有专门的sub吗?