帖子

囧章 Gemini双子座 枫情万种 一帆枫顺   枫华绝代 荣誉版主

沙发
发表于 2010-8-10 13:30:02 |只看该作者
本帖最后由 Guessy 于 2010-8-12 03:05 编辑

转专业申请的陶瓷信  I just got reply of that email today  大家参考下就好了
大概的思路就是开篇说下自己想干什么 然后说下自己的动机 经历和优势 然后说下对他的什么项目有兴趣 问下招不招学生 就行了

Dear Prof. XXX,

My name is Guessy, a fourth year UBC student in science. I am interested in the Master of Education in Higher Education program at UBC, and I have applied for the Jul.2011 entry. I believe I will need a supervisor for the master program and I hope you could consider taking me as a graduate student.

The field of education is familiar but also challenging for me. As an international student from China, I have volunteered and worked at the International House of UBC, where I developed my interest in cross-cultural education. On the other hand, I am currently studying microbiology and immunology. I have strong health sciences background and I am very exciting on your research on education in health professions. However, I do not have experience as a full time teacher or educator, nor do I have a Bachelor of Education degree. The reason I wanted to try education is solely based on my long term interest on education. I really hope it will work out and become my future career.

As a science student, I am well trained to be a researcher and I have demonstrated my ability through my experience. I have various research experiences on life sciences, and one publication as co-author. I believe the research skills are transferable and I am a fast learner. I understand that the limited time M.Ed student can commit to research, and that is why I hope to have a supervisor as early as possible, to better prepare myself for the graduate study, and to achieve as much as possible on the research.

Thank you for your time. I would love to send my transcript,statement of intent and my resume, or anything you think will be helpful for evaluation. My student number is XXXXXXXX, and this is also the student number I used for my application. I greatly appreciate your consideration.

Guessy
休假中 站内短信看不到 请见谅
紧急问题请发电子邮件 guessywang@gmail.com
不加QQ和人人 请见谅

使用道具 举报

声望
寄托币
注册时间
2006-2-10
精华
帖子

板凳
发表于 2010-8-10 13:30:07 |只看该作者
本帖最后由 Guessy 于 2010-8-11 13:48 编辑

招工作的cover letter 也可以算类似陶瓷信一类的东西吧 这个是专业对口的 但我基本上就是罗列经历了 可能参考价值一般
基本思路就是开篇说下自己要申请什么 然后根据招聘启事上写的工作要求 选一些能体现这些方面的经历写一下 注意要具体具体再具体 而且要用accomplish statement 就是说下自己通过做什么得到了什么样的结果 最后一段纯属套话

01/08/2010
100 - 8900 Glenlyon Parkway
Burnaby, British Columbia, Canada
V5J 5J8

Dear Dr.XXX,

I am writing to apply for the Cell Biology Assistant position in Tekmira Pharmaceutical Corporation.

During my co-op placement in Infectious Disease, Vancouver General Hospital, I investigated on
co-stimulation of environment stress on Toll-Like-Receptor (TLR) mediated innate immune response.
I studied the mechanism with ATP and hydrogen peroxide as environment stress signals, using
techniques including gene cloning, protein extraction and purification, eukaryotic cell DNA
transfection, Q-PCR, Western Blotting, ELISA, and Luciferase assay. I was also responsible for culturing
two cell lines for the whole lab and worked on in vivo infection model. By the end of my placement, I
completed 16 functional plasmid constructs, 6 different purified proteins and reproducible, accurate
data from various tests. I was an efficient team player and I will be a co-author of the relevant paper
which is in written.

Research experience and specialized knowledge has helped me gain insight into science and critical
thinking, which has assisted my academic success. As a non-native English speaker, my
presentation in microbiology seminar course (MICB430A) was commented as “an example of
excellent thoughtful presentation” by one of the instructors, and that I raised the most discussion
questions of high quality.

I am confident that I am an ideal candidate for Tekmira, not only because of my academic research
experience, but also my strong ability to learn and to adapt. I came to Canada in the fall of 2007, with
little knowledge of this country. I managed to integrate myself into this culture by actively participating
in social activity and community services. I helped more than 4,000 international students through my
work in International Student Development (UBC) with colleagues in 2009.

These and other experiences would make me an outstanding team player in Tekmira. At the same
time, I look forward to learning more about different directions in life science research and industrial
development. I would appreciate the opportunity of an interview, at your convenience, to further
discuss the needs of the position and my abilities.

Thank you for attention and consideration.

Sincerely,
Guessy
已有 2 人评分寄托币 声望 收起 理由
Triple-L + 1 赞赞赞!
AdelineShen + 20 mua 猜猜@~

总评分: 寄托币 + 20  声望 + 1   查看全部投币

休假中 站内短信看不到 请见谅
不加QQ和人人 请见谅

使用道具 举报

声望
寄托币
注册时间
2006-2-10
精华
帖子

地板
发表于 2010-8-10 13:30:14 |只看该作者
本帖最后由 Guessy 于 2010-8-15 09:29 编辑

世界上最水的一篇推荐信
这个是一个只给我上过一门课的老师 根本不记得我了 让我自己写 我就写了 既然写了 就share下好了
但推荐信的大意就是 一定要写出个人观点 同时要给出具体例子支持

另外 写推荐信建议大家找熟悉的人写 不要因为某个人可能比较有名气 见过几次就问他要推荐信 因为你根本不知道他会写什么 不管他多牛 如果他在推荐信上写“这个学生我只见过4次 他来过我的讲座 人看起来很聪明但我并不知道他的学术水平” 那你必死无疑

一个不错的推荐信选择指导看这里 https://bbs.gter.net/bbs/viewthread.php?tid=1129917&highlight=

Address and contact,
Date

Dear Sir/ Madam,

I am writing this reference letter at the request of Ms. GuessyWang, who is applying for the Master of Education in higher education program atUniversity of British Columbia.

I have known Ms. Guessy Wang for one year. She was my student inMICB430A, Seminar in Microbiological Literature. In the class, each pair ofstudents were given three pieces of academic literature, and were required togive a presentation for 40 minutes. From her presentation, Ms. Guessy Wang showed hercomplete understanding of the paper, not only the general idea but also theexperimental design and most of the details. Ms. Guessy Wang was able to put thepaper properly in global context, which shows her solid background and broadknowledge of her specialization. Most importantly, Ms. Guessy Wang was able to givecritical comment and point out problems in the paper. This reflects her goodlogic and her ability of independent critical thinking. Overall, Ms. Guessy Wang isa smart student with good potential of being a researcher and professionalpublic speaking skills.

I would highly recommend Ms.Guessy Wang to you withoutreservation. If you have any further questions regarding Ms.Guessy Wang’squalifications, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Sincerely,

Name and title
休假中 站内短信看不到 请见谅
不加QQ和人人 请见谅

使用道具 举报

声望
寄托币
注册时间
2006-2-10
精华
帖子

发表于 2010-8-10 13:30:26 |只看该作者
本帖最后由 Guessy 于 2010-9-17 00:15 编辑

把resume编辑下贴出来看看好了
基本经验就是 排版很重要 不要废话
页边距要小 字体要清楚 不要太大但也不要太小
要擅长使用靠左靠右和缩进 不要所有字都堆在一起让人不知道往哪看
不要在上面写一个大大的“resume” 谁都知道你这是resume 写这个只会占地方
不要写过多无意义的个人信息比如生日之类的 有名字邮箱和电话就够了
不出彩的东西能少写就少写 假如你平均分75那就别写了
把出彩的东西往前提 科研经历 发表文章什么的放第一页
没有意义的细节不要给 比如你做一个项目 不用告诉人家这个是哪门课的大作业 无所谓的
有用的一点要说清楚 你做一个项目 一定要说清楚这个项目上你做了什么
附件: 你需要登录才可以下载或查看附件。没有帐号?立即注册
休假中 站内短信看不到 请见谅
不加QQ和人人 请见谅

使用道具 举报

声望
寄托币
注册时间
2006-2-10
精华
帖子

发表于 2010-8-10 13:30:33 |只看该作者
本帖最后由 Guessy 于 2010-11-27 07:02 编辑

再贴个感性点的PS吧 这个是用于参加比赛的文书 不适合申请
但如果大家有申请本科的 或者需要writing sample的啥的 说不定可以参考下
这PS俗得都恶心到我自己了 而且为了达到效果 夸大并虚构了很多内容
某同学看了第一句还笑出来了 大家凑合看就行了 仅供参考 仅供参考
附件: 你需要登录才可以下载或查看附件。没有帐号?立即注册
休假中 站内短信看不到 请见谅
不加QQ和人人 请见谅

使用道具 举报

声望
寄托币
注册时间
2006-2-10
精华
帖子

发表于 2010-8-10 13:30:45 |只看该作者
本帖最后由 Guessy 于 2010-12-3 09:33 编辑

Statement of Interest

Please provide a brief statement of your research interests and goals.
刚刚拿到录取 把文书贴出来好了

I told myself I should give it a try when I still can. My family and friends were surprised when I told them I was about to pursue a Master of Education degree after a Bachelor of Science. Yes, I have been a science student since high school and have involved in various sciences research projects. It will be more straightforward to pursue a PhD degree in life science. But as extra-curricular activities, I have volunteered and part time worked in several student services and advising department during my undergraduate study, and I find myself enjoy doing it. This is leading me to the idea of pursuing an education degree to see if I will love it to be my career. It will be my best opportunity to try something that I am interested in next year after graduation, and it might be impractical to switch to other fields later after years of commitment in science research of PhD study.

I had two years of university study in China during 2005 to 2007, and transferred to UBC where I will finish my degree next April. I served as the chief of Administration office of League Union, helped with academic advising, event planning, student evaluation and administration work. I also helped with several university information sessions back in my high school. I found myself very interested in academic advising, and enjoyed helping younger students to figure out their academic and career plans.  

After transferring to UBC as an international student, I developed special interest in international education. I volunteered as a group leader in the International Peer Advising program for two years, using my own experience to help first year international students to adjust to the environment and to achieve academic success by providing one-to-one academic advising, culture advising, and social events. After that, I worked as an International Peer Advisor, mainly to assist international students with issues including immigration, health insurance, employment, cultural transitions, and campus services. I gained more understanding on the problems that international students may face in Canada, and I also developed ideas about potential solution for some of the problems. I hope I could have a chance to learn more about post-secondary education system in Canada, and have a chance to contribute and to help more students.

I am confident that I will be a successful graduate student, not only because of my personal experience, but also my strong academic ability. My undergraduate program Microbiology and Immunology was designed to educate creative, problem-solving and detail-oriented science researchers. The training includes not only the traditional classroom coursework, but also individual and group research projects, formal research reports, poster contest, presentations and seminars, to develop student’s ability of research and to prepare student for graduate study.  I enjoyed and did extremely well in seminar and research projects, and I believe these skills can be transferred to researches in education.  

As a UBC undergraduate student, I know UBC well enough to fully prepare myself for graduate study. UBC changed my life several years ago. I really hope UBC can be the start of my education career and change my life again. With my passion and unique student experience, I hope I could make a difference in the field of education.
休假中 站内短信看不到 请见谅
不加QQ和人人 请见谅

使用道具 举报

声望
寄托币
注册时间
2006-2-10
精华
帖子

发表于 2010-8-10 13:30:58 |只看该作者
本帖最后由 Guessy 于 2010-12-3 09:38 编辑

reference letter表格填写

Please comment on the applicant’s academic strengths and potential for completing a graduate program.  Providing substantial comments with examples will greatly assist UBC in evaluating the applicant.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                               

To succeed in graduate programs, one needs passion, intelligence, research skills, and communication skills. Ms.Guessy Wang has demonstrated these which makes me believe she would be one of the ideal candidates for your program.

Ms.Guessy Wang worked in a research lab as a volunteer student since her first term in university until the last week she left China. Ms.Guessy Wang worked more than 20 hours per week, which is far beyond the expectation for an undergraduate student. The Phd student Ms.Guessy Wang assisted has expressed his satisfaction to me and commented her research ability as "excellent and rarely seen in students of the same year". This is one of many examples that show her passion and research skills.

Ms.Guessy Wang took two biochemistry courses of mine, and demonstrated her intelligence and communication skills. Ms.Guessy Wang not only did great in the exams, but gave insightful presentations with clear idea and critical comments in a professional manner.

I have personally talked to Ms.Guessy Wang several times and she is an explorer with insightful thoughts towards life. Ms.Guessy Wang decided to transfer from our university, which is a prestigious one in china, to UBC in Canada, to "explore her future" according to her. It was a brave and brilliant decision that she has made, and her life story is an interesting and exciting one. I would strongly recommend her for the Master of Education program, and I appreciate it if your program decides to accept her as she wishes.

Comments on applicant’s English competency.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                               
Both courses were taught in bilingual (Chinese and English). The textbook used was an English textbook, all course materials were given in English, and exams were in English. Students were required to give a presentation in English for 10 minutes in class as part of the evaluation for each course. Ms.Guessy Wang gave an outstanding presentation in class and did great in her exams. She would not have achieved those without a great master of English in both reading and speaking.
休假中 站内短信看不到 请见谅
不加QQ和人人 请见谅

使用道具 举报

声望
寄托币
注册时间
2006-2-10
精华
帖子

发表于 2010-8-10 13:31:08 |只看该作者