注册时间
2009-4-25
精华
帖子
跳转到指定楼层
楼主
发表于 2013-8-22 16:25:10 |只看该作者 |倒序浏览
EX29-4
The Fourteenth Amendment to the United States Constitution, ratified in 1868, prohibits state governments from denying citizens the "equal protection of the laws." Although precisely what the framers of the amendment meant by this equal protection clause remains unclear, all interpreters agree that the framers' immediate objective was to provide a constitutional warrant for the Civil Rights Act of 1866, which guaranteed the citizenship of all persons born in the United States and subject to United States jurisdiction. This declaration, which was echoed in the text of the Fourteenth Amendment, was designed primarily to counter the Supreme Court's ruling in Dred Scott v. Sandford that Black people in the United States could be denied citizenship. The act was vetoed by President Andrew Johnson, who argued that the Thirteenth Amendment, which abolished slavery, did not provide Congress with the authority to extend citizenship and equal protection to the freed slaves. Although Congress promptly overrode Johnson's veto, supporters of the act sought to ensure its constitutional foundations with the passage of the Fourteenth Amendment.
(172 words)
4.The author implies that the Fourteenth Amendment
might not have been enacted if
(A) Congress' authority with regard to legislating
civil rights had not been challenged
(B) the framers had anticipated the Supreme Court's
ruling in Brown v. Board of Education
(C) the framers had believed that it would be used in deciding cases of discrimination involving
non-racial groups
(D) most state governments had been willing to
protect citizens' civil rights
(E) its essential elements had not been implicit in the Thirteenth Amendment

答案是A, 我选的e,,我感觉13修正案完善了,那拿14干嘛..A对应文章那段啊? 还有President Andrew Johnson是和supporter一头的?Congress是另一头的?这里面是撒子关系啊?求大神理理
回应

使用道具 举报

声望
寄托币
注册时间
2010-10-27
精华
帖子

新任版主

沙发
发表于 2013-8-22 16:47:25 |只看该作者
1.对应: The act was vetoed by President Andrew Johnson, who argued that the Thirteenth Amendment, which abolished slavery, did not provide Congress with the authority to extend citizenship and equal protection to the freed slaves.
2.不是,Congress和Supporter一伙,AJ持反对态度
3. A选项不发生,这句话就不会发生:supporters of the act sought to ensure its constitutional foundations with the passage of the Fourteenth Amendment

使用道具 举报

声望
寄托币
注册时间
2009-4-25
精华
帖子
板凳
发表于 2013-8-22 17:41:22 |只看该作者
alexl39 发表于 2013-8-22 16:47
1.对应: The act was vetoed by President Andrew Johnson, who argued that the Thirteenth Amendment, w ...

哇 又看到大神你了。。。:lol  先谢谢了
你说的第三点我很赞同
你说的第二点,是不是这个意思 议会的act被总统否决了  然后议会又否决回去  最后议会和那些支持者觉得没得宪法支持 不稳当,然后有了14?

那e选项错在哪儿啊??难道是essential elements 模糊??我觉得essential elements就是13缺失的宪法保证啊。。。

顺便再问一道逻辑题,,问了好多人有不同的答案。。。

An economist concluded that Kregg Company deliberately discriminated against people with a history of union affiliation in hiring workers for its new plant. The economist's evidence is that, of the 1,500 people hired to work at the new plant, only 100 had ever belonged to a labor union, whereas in Kregg Company's older plants, a much higher proportion of workers have a history of union affiliation.

Which of the following is an assumption on which the economist's argument depends?

(A) None of the people with a history of union affiliation who were hired to work at the new plant were union organizers.

(B) Applicants for jobs at the new plant were not asked by Kregg's recruiters whether they had ever belonged to a labor union.

(C) In the plants of some of Kregg's competitors, the workforce consists predominantly of union members.

(D)The company believes that the cost of running the new plant will be lower if labor unions are not represented in the workforce.

(E)The pool of potential candidates for jobs at the new plant included some people, in addition to those Kregg hired, with a history of union affiliation.

答案给的e,,我也觉得e对,,但很多人说d对??对d取反不能推翻啊?

使用道具 举报

声望
寄托币
注册时间
2010-10-27
精华
帖子

新任版主

地板
发表于 2013-8-22 17:48:51 |只看该作者
lichever 发表于 2013-8-22 10:41
哇 又看到大神你了。。。  先谢谢了
你说的第三点我很赞同
你说的第二点,是不是这个意思 议会的a ...

1. 恩,基本是你说的这样。
2. essential elements指内容,两者内容应该是没有差别的。至于宪法支持,Act只是一般法律条文,而14是宪法修正案,所以提供了宪法保证。
3. e对d错

使用道具 举报

声望
寄托币
注册时间
2009-4-25
精华
帖子
发表于 2013-8-22 17:52:14 |只看该作者
alexl39 发表于 2013-8-22 17:48
1. 恩,基本是你说的这样。
2. essential elements指内容,两者内容应该是没有差别的。至于宪法支持,Ac ...

恩 你一提act 和 Amendment的区别  我就明白了     
  非常感谢版主大人!

使用道具 举报

声望
寄托币
注册时间
2009-4-25
精华
帖子
发表于 2013-8-23 20:22:08 |只看该作者
alexl39 发表于 2013-8-22 17:48
1. 恩,基本是你说的这样。
2. essential elements指内容,两者内容应该是没有差别的。至于宪法支持,Ac ...

大神 不好意思  不晓得怎么@人  我有4道magoosh的3空题想请教下你  只有在这个贴里回复你了
拜托了
1.The question as to what constitutes art is hardly a (i) ______ one. Today, artists exist whose main goal seems only to subvert work that no longer warrants the trite tag , “cutting -edge.”Once the proverbial envelope is pushed even further, the  public inevitably scratches its collective head – or furrows the collective brow – thinking that this time the “artists” have (ii) ______. That very same admixture of contempt and confusion, however, was not unknown in Michelangelo’s day; only what was considered blasphemous, art -wise, in the 16th Century, would today be considered (iii) ______.
Blank (i)                          Blank (ii)                                        Blank (iii)
(A) perennial                (D) served their purpose                 (G) hackneyed  
(B) contemporary         (E) gone too far                               (H) reverent  
(C) controversial          (F) failed to provoke                         (I) tame
这道题 答案是bei  我第三空选的g  我感觉g要好些啊,对应前面出现的trite  tame对应哪里啊?

2.For charities operating in the developing world, when noble impulses (i) ______ into mere (ii) ______, vapid slogans rear the ir heads and we witness a further deterioration in the very situation such high -mindedness had initially sought to (iii) ______.
Blank (i)                Blank (ii)              Blank (iii)
(A) devolve           (D) quixotry        (G) limit  
(B) morph             (E) fraud             (H) prevent  
(C) coalesce         (F) altruism         (I) ameliorate  
这道题选的adi     我选的bdh     第一空我纠结了很久 ab  我感觉前面有developing 就不该选重复了的,第三空我感觉prevent意思说的更通啊

3.Carefully couching his words in the most diplomatic language possible, so even those (i) ______ to his cause could hardly construe his words as a (ii) ______ , the city councilman offered an ultimatum to the (iii) ______ group of protesters camped outside the City Hall.  
Blank (i)                        Blank (ii)                          Blank (iii)
(A) indisposed to         (D) panegyric                 (G) defeated
(B) sympathetic           (E) broadside                 (H) querulous  
(C) impartial to            (F) prognostication         (I)  dishonest
这题选aeh   我是第一空 纠结  我感觉选b更能突出他Carefully couching his words in the most diplomatic language possible,因为连支持他的人都理解不到这是在抨击。。。

4.It is telling that a politician long adept at inhabiting any role that will serve his immediate purpose has been able to (i) ______ a disgruntled electorate, an outcome that perhaps speaks more to the electorate’s (ii) ______ nature than it does to his ability to be (iii) ______.
Blank (i)                          Blank (ii)                       Blank (iii)
(A) easily placate            (D) fickle                      (G) persuasive  
(B) only repel                 (E) disaffected              (H) candid   
(C) shrewdly court         (F) docile                       (I) misleading
这题选beg 我1,2 空选的a d  ,,我感觉也说得通啊,,be 感觉和前面
that a politician long adept at inhabiting any role that will serve his immediate purpose 相反啊 这个人应该很擅长随机应变啊

使用道具 举报

声望
寄托币
注册时间
2010-10-27
精华
帖子

新任版主

发表于 2013-8-23 21:07:02 |只看该作者
lichever 发表于 2013-8-23 13:22
大神 不好意思  不晓得怎么@人  我有4道magoosh的3空题想请教下你  只有在这个贴里回复你了
拜托了