2016-3-12
精华
帖子
跳转到指定楼层
楼主
发表于 2016-11-14 06:25:19 |只看该作者 |倒序浏览
本文实际为介绍明尼苏达法学院LLM学生的生活,以及给出一些个人建议的文章,中英文双语,但中英文并非一一对应,中文发挥较多。

第一部分:为什么选择明尼苏达法学院LLM-课外活动版

在开始介绍我在明尼苏达法学院LLM期间的经历之前,先自我介绍一下毕业后的现阶段的状况。(不好意思为了让我的个人经历让更多人感兴趣,只好认真的装X一下啦~)笔者名叫安美玲,2015~2016年在明尼苏达法学院念了LLM, 2016年5月14日毕业,17日,也就是毕业三天后我拿到华盛顿DC找到工作(通过学校的LLM simplicity,专门提供给LLM的找工作平台)。我正在工作的公司名称是ENHESA(Environment, Health & Safety),这里有来自世界各国的咨询师,总部在比利时的布鲁塞尔,华盛顿DC和日本东京有分布。ENHESA直接通过当地的语言查询环境、健康、安全方面的法律法规草案等,提供世界500强企业关于企业遵守法律法规方面的分析为英文的报告,让企业的产品跟上环境法进步的步伐。能拿到这个工作有很多原因,但是最重要的还是我在明尼苏达法学院LLM的经历。

1.        与同学的交流
自毕业以来,我深刻意识到在学期间与同学们的课堂内和课堂外的交流对我有多么大的帮助。与各国小伙伴们交流的经历让我对不同文化有了非常广泛而深刻的理解,并且让我有机会对自己的文化和身份有了更深的了解。当然,更重要的是通过用英文与英语为非母语的小伙伴们交流的过程,锻炼了自己的耐心以及准确表达语言的能力。这种经历为LLM国际同学所特有。如果你来到明尼苏达法学院LLM项目,世界就会在你的身边,而且与其他国家的同学们一起学习玩耍的时间越多,你在未来可以成功胜任国际性质的工作的可能性就越大。

2.        就业指导中心
就业指导中心对我找到工作以及成长为更有专业精神的人,有着非常重要的左右。就业指导中心的指导教师之一Hallie Prest在我找工作的过程中一路陪伴着我,过程中有过六轮的面试(电话面试、skype面试、真人面试)以及测试语言与报告分析能力的笔试。每次我预约去找Hallie,课后她一定会对会议中重要的信息进行总结然后发邮件给我。(最后拿到工作offer,与公司CEO协商提高薪水的过程Hallie都有给我认真提过建议)

3.        法学院建立社交关系的讲座
建立社交关系、找工作的讲座一般会在中午12到下午1点时间段比较常见,我极力推荐参加此类活动,目的是可以在美国找工作的市场有一个基本的了解。援引明尼苏达大学法学院就业指导中心网站中所提供的数据,60~80%的工作都是通过社交关系建立的活动,那些看起来并不“正式”的方式得到工作机会。这意味着在美国找到工作需要情商去了解美国的雇主的思维方式。要想找到工作,你需要知道雇主想要从你身上得到的是什么。如果想象一下你是雇主,在寻找一个未来几年或更久一段时间,每周至少要一起度过40小时的工作时间的一个雇员,答案就明了了(答案是雇主想要寻找的是在茫茫人海中-也许是很多中国法学毕业生中、国际法学毕业生中或者是从广泛的美国法学院毕业的所有人中,找寻合适的雇员,在学历背景类似的前提下,最重要的一定是一个另人舒服开心的一起共事的人)。举例子来说,在建立社交关系的场合,如何自然欢快的开启一段对话(不要觉得这个事情对于国际学生或中国学生来说难,所有美国法学院学生都觉得难,但美国的学生深知这件事情的重要性,于是很多不擅长交际的学生们都会硬着头皮去努力学会“有趣、轻松、欢快”地和人聊天)。举另外一个例子,发邮件用尊称,邮件题目和开头重点突出,整体内容逻辑清晰、简洁明了,结尾永远礼貌说Have a good day! Thank you! 等等都会成为潜在雇主对你印象的加分项。

4.        明尼苏达司法基金会(简称MJF)
MJF提供做志愿者的机会,有一次一天两天的,或者两小时的。时间虽然很短,但是如果你愿意去投入一些时间去参加,仍然会段时间内学到课本里无法学到的东西。我在寒假期间做了四天的高中模拟法庭的证人(一个案件同时担任原告方证人和被告方证人,不要小看高中生的模拟法庭,同时担任两个角色,用英文被询问还是非常有挑战性的)。个人觉得,这次经历给了我非常生动的原告被告证据展示的过程,在下学期证据法课内容的理解上非常有帮助。

笔者:安美玲

结构编辑建议:Hannah(明尼苏达法学院LLM工作人员)

---------------------------英文版--------------------------------
Part 1
WHY University of Minnesota LLM for Chinese Students: Extra-curricular activities

Before I start talking about my experiences, I would like to introduce myself first. My name is Meiling An, I was U of M LLM student between 2015 to 2016. I graduated on May 14th, 2016 and got a job at Washington DC on May 17th, 2016. The company that I am working for is Enhesa, an environmental law consultant company that including consultants from all over the world. We analyze local regulations about environment, health and safety from using local languages to English for 500 Fortune companies in the world. I am working as a Chinese Regulatory Consultant in this company. There are so many possible reasons that I got this job, but the most important reason is, my experience as a LLM student in University of Minnesota Law School. The following is the experiences that I received from this LLM program which lead me here.

1.        Communication with classmates
Since I graduated, I realized communicating with my classmates in class or outside of the class, is the most precious gift for me. It helps me to have broad and deep understanding of different cultures, to provide me the opportunities to understand my own culture and identity deeper, to have more patience and use precise language to express myself (talking with your classmates means you are both using non-native language to understand each other, patience is the most important and challenging part). This experience is specifically for the LLM students, the whole world is around you, the more you spend time with your classmates, the better you can deal with your global jobs in the future.

2.        Career Center
This is a significant place that led me to get this job and trained me to be professional, especially the career center staff Hallie Prest helped me along the way. Hallie was with me all the six rounds of interviews and writing assessments until I got my job offer. Every time I went to visit Hallie, after the office hour, she would send me emails that include summaries of important information during the meeting.

3.        Networking events in law school
Networking events, job searching lectures mostly present during lunch time, I highly recommend participated in these activities just to have an idea about job market in the US. Statistically 60~80% (this statistic could be found in University of Minnesota career center website) of the jobs you get are from doing the “networking”, which seems very “informal”. This means you must improve EQ (emotional intelligence) to understand how employers in the US think to get job offers. In order to get jobs, you must know what they want from you. Imagine you are an employer and consider what kind of person you want to work with 40 hours a week for the next several years or longer, the answer is clear. I am not suggesting you to give up your studying in library, or never mention your strong work and academic experiences in China, it’s the important and fundamental. However, what makes you stand out from other competitors, and also you can improve in a short amount of time, is getting to know about cultural differences, especially about how to start a conversation with potential employers, or the person who might introduce you to the employers who needs your skills. Additionally, how to write an email with courtesy and with the highlights to make people interested in you.

4.        Minnesota Justice Foundation
Minnesota Justice Foundation provides various volunteer opportunities, maybe sometimes it’s one day, two days or only two hours, but in those short amount of time, you might learn so much than just reading textbooks. I was a volunteer at high school moot court as a witness, this experience provided me with a visual lesson in evidence area. Therefore, when the second semester in evidence class, I was able to understand the professor easier than other LLM students.

Author: Meiling An

Structure Instruction: Hannah

已有 1 人评分声望 收起 理由
珀尔修斯 + 6 感谢分享

总评分: 声望 + 6   查看全部投币

相关帖子 Updated by 2024.10.27

回应

使用道具 举报

声望
寄托币
注册时间
2005-5-7
精华
帖子

寄托之心勋章 寄托与我 寄托优秀版主 Libra天秤座 港澳资深筒子 港澳申请助理 律政先锋 分享之阳 寄托兑换店纪念章 US-applicant 美版守护者 荣誉版主

沙发
发表于 2016-11-15 04:01:38 |只看该作者
感谢分享!
法律阿泰: http://www.weibo.com/5820884819/ 第一时间的海外法学院申请, NGO实习及各种学术会议信息

使用道具 举报

声望
寄托币
注册时间
2016-3-12
精华
帖子
板凳
发表于 2016-11-24 19:06:13 |只看该作者
阿泰 发表于 2016-11-15 04:01
感谢分享!

不客气~~

使用道具 举报

声望
寄托币
注册时间
2016-11-2
精华
帖子
地板
发表于 2016-11-25 19:01:34 |只看该作者
楼主你好,感谢分享。我先问下,UMN毕业生在美国好找工作吗?回国怎么样。学校名气在国内不会太大。。。

使用道具 举报

声望
寄托币
注册时间
2016-3-12
精华
帖子
发表于 2016-11-27 21:39:59 |只看该作者
柯基肖 发表于 2016-11-25 19:01
楼主你好,感谢分享。我先问下,UMN毕业生在美国好找工作吗?回国怎么样。学校名气在国内不会太大。。。

1.任何LLM毕业生(或者说任何国际学生)在美国找工作,都有难度,但这篇文章的目的就是想分享,如果想要努力在美国找工作,不是不可能的事情,而且有这样一个例子可以借鉴。但具体结果怎么样,还有很多其他因素的影响。2.我毕业后没有回过国,所以在国内名气怎么样我不清楚。(美玲回答)
已有 1 人评分声望 收起 理由
阿泰 + 10 赞一个

总评分: 声望 + 10   查看全部投币

使用道具 举报

RE: UMN一位LLM学生找工作经验 [修改]
您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 立即注册

问答
Offer
投票
面经
最新
精华