帖子
跳转到指定楼层
楼主
发表于 2018-1-18 13:12:47 |只看该作者 |倒序浏览
本帖最后由 Hannah201617 于 2018-1-18 13:30 编辑

为何选择在明尼苏达大学法学院读LLM

——在美读书和工作如何丰富我的人生

一、出国的目的:
我选择去明尼苏达大学法学院念LLM的长期目标(理想)是我想要成为公益法的律师,为祖国法律对于弱势群体保护方面做贡献。而美国作为公益法制度发展多年的国家,去美国学习在这样的法律制度下社会的实际运行。当然,还有作为短期目标,我也希望在我回国找律所的工作时,可以有更高的竞争力。

二、如何在明尼苏达法学院的生活
为了接近我的长期以及短期目标,我参加了几乎每一个可以参加的律师交流会,或者说,人脉建立活动(networking)。具体关于我如何管理我的学术和课外生活,并且在顺利毕业拿到学位的同时,在美国找到工作的细节,请看本段结尾的链接。 (我在之前文章里提到过,在美国找工作或者说做任何事情,有一个好的人脉非常重要,多参加相关专业的交流会展示自己,可以有更多机会接触雇主、了解工作市场,获取更多直接的信息非常关键,而这些交流会无论是倾听其他法学院同学的谈话还是与律所合伙人们交流都是了解自己的价值,找到展现自己的价值的突破点。例如,当时在法学院组织的校招——很多律所、公司来到校园摆出摊位,即将毕业的法学院学生和雇主之间互相了解的场所,当时我了解,这个州虽然有我热爱的公益法的律师协会,但是对于外国人的工作机会比起纽约、华盛顿DC、加州,还是会少。通过与其他同学的交流了解到,在一个交流会中拿到很多名片,有过很多谈话时,可以在名片背后写上与对方的谈话内容,并且第二天给有过相对深入交谈的雇主发邮件提醒深谈细节让对方记起你,表达见面的意愿。在所有学历条件具备的前提下,一个工作机会从这样的互动中开始。我并不否认一个人的能力和硬件条件是找到好工作的前提,但是如果不给自己创造更多机会遇到好工作岗位,展现自己的优秀,还是会错过很多好工作机会。)虽然最后我找到工作并不是通过这些交流会,而是法学院针对LLM的工作平台让我有机会找到工作,但是我找到工作的原因除了对于面试的充足准备,之前的各种交流会与人交流的经历也是非常重要的原因之一,这些让我可以在面试过程中与面试官有更自然和友好的互动,也让我更加珍惜每一次笔试面试的机会。这篇文章以下重点谈论了我关于毕业后工作我学到的和感受到的事情和思想,并以鼓励那些毕业后有意愿做法律方面相关的工作、实习、志愿者,多多学习的留学生。
具体内容链接如下:
第一部分:为什么选择明尼苏达法学院LLM-课外活动版
https://bbs.gter.net/forum.php?mo ... 7&highlight=UMN
第二部分:为什么选择明尼苏达法学院LLM- 学术版
https://bbs.gter.net/forum.php?mo ... 9&highlight=UMN

三、在美国的学习和工作带给我的东西
(一)克服“语言障碍”
在美国的学习和工作让我克服了我的“语言障碍”。(对于大多数留学生来说,虽然英语是你学了十几年的语言,我们还是会对于说英语有着心里的障碍。特别是作为LLM,看到美国的JD学生们在课堂上侃侃而谈,私底下用英语嬉笑,我的反应总是慢半拍到十几拍。)因此,对于我来说,这里所说的“语言障碍”并不是我们英语的实际能力,(因为我觉得我们在出国之前已经具备了用英语在美国生存以及学习的基本能力),真正的“障碍”是我们对于使用英语时产生的内心的恐惧,惧怕当我们被英语为母语的人们包围时,我们说的每一句话都会成为别人的笑柄,期望我们可以符合老师、同学、其他所遇到的人的期望。慢慢地我发现的是,世界上根本没有“完美的英语”这一说,对于美国人来说,这个国家本身包含不同的宗教信仰、不同的文化和语言,每个人都带着自己的文化、地方口音和母语混杂的语言大胆表达自己。因此,克服“语言障碍”的关键是克服担心被人嘲笑的恐惧,勇敢表达。(我们可以换一个角度想,我们经济上还是精神上都花费了不少精力来到美国,如果不通过不停的犯错误中高效地锻炼和提高自己把学费赚回来,怎么对得起这一趟留学经历呢?通俗地说,脸皮变厚,然后忘我地吸取知识和表达自己是飞跃性地提高自己的关键。)在这过程中,其他的LLM同学总会给你巨大的内在力量。因为我们中大部分都是第一次非母语学习另外一个国家的法律,我们一起面对文化冲突,“语言障碍”,一起互相像战友一样支撑着对方前行,过程中所建立起来的友谊也会成为你人生路上遇到困难时,可以勇敢面对的力量。另外,法学院教授们也成为了在我毕业之后去华盛顿DC工作的时候,每次遇到困境时的精神支持。(当然,教授们不会像朋友一样经常相互问候,但是在美国在职业生涯上遇到比较困惑的时候,发一个邮件探讨偶尔回访学校喝个咖啡交流一下,也是会对你非常有帮助,而我也确实是这么做的。)

(二)找到真实的自己,坚定人生目标
在美国的学习、工作、生活中,让我逐渐变得更加接纳原本的自己,且可以坚定不移地追随我的内心。原因是,在美国,来到陌生的国家学习生活,不仅仅是你熟悉新的环境、了解这个国家的过程,另一方面,本地人也会很想要了解你,关于你的文化、宗教信仰、理想等等。当我的身份、理想、文化、信仰被问及、被挑战,我开始认真思考我是什么样的人,我想要什么样的生活,以及怎样可以将我的内心更加准确地表达。我将生活在另外一个国家当做是一个可以重新塑造自己、定义自己的身份的好机会,因为在这个地方,几乎没有人认识我,这防止我因为任何外在因素以及社交压力而不敢表达自己独特的思考角度和想法。在身份方面,我是中国的朝鲜族,我的祖先来自朝鲜半岛,但是我出生于中国,也同样热爱两种文化,脱离了中华民族的文化或者我的朝鲜族的文化,我就不会是我了。在人生理想方面,我热衷于人权法,因为我相信公正和平等是引领人类走向幸福的途径。对于这样一个人生理想,我很有耐心、激情、坚定的信念去追逐,也是我奋斗一生的目标。(在这里,我想补充一下,为什么了解自己的人生目标和准确表达自己同样重要,找到人生目标对于一个人的意义我不多说,可以准确表达自己的想法可以让你吸引到和你志同道合的人,可以指引你接近你目标的引路人,更可以让和你有着截然不同的人生观的人知难而退,保持距离。在国外,至少对我来说,人际交往由于学费和生活的挑战程度,其成本是很高的,如果将时间不投资在对的友谊和人脉上,就没有办法最大化留学的价值。)

(三)对于来自不同文化的人更耐心、开放、包容,学会辩证思考
通过毕业后在华盛顿DC的一段时间的工作和生活,与邻居们的交流,我开始理解文化的差异以及个体的差异。在教科书中和媒体中学到的文化和国家成为了现实生活中所接触的人们,有血有肉、有情感和信仰的人们。当我看到这些可亲可爱的朋友们和小孩子们,就会发现那些固有的或者消极的媒体中获知的印象和实际生活中的人们并没有太大的关联。所以,通过这样的思考过程,当我与不同的人们去交往称为朋友的时候,我会对待他们像对待我刚开始来到美国时的LLM同学们一样,有耐心、真诚,当遇到误会和差异的时候,用开放的心态去倾听,而不是主观臆断。(刚开始来到美国,因为我们的英语都不熟练,都在用非母语,所以我们会格外耐心和费心地互相交流,因为我们想要通过沟通了解更多事情,也想要通过这样的友谊而获得战友般的温暖。)如果你尝试这样的方式和心态与人相处,你交的朋友也更有可能是开放的、有耐心的、遇到困难会积极帮助你的。(在国外,我的观点是,无论是体现生活还是更快地适应不一样的环境,主动交朋友的能力是比较重要的。虽然很多时候也会遇到挫折,但是你的100次尝试也许会换来一两个可以给你从生活上的便利到安全感,甚至上升到对你人生产生重大影响的程度,那么,至少我觉得,之前的尝试就很值了。这样的朋友,也许和你有着文化和生理特征上的天差地别,人生轨迹和你完全不同,但是在异国他乡可以遇到值得珍惜医生的知己,对我来说,这成为了我愿意努力克服在国外生活一切困难的动力。)

四、个人总结:留学的意义
因此,我觉得出国旅游、学习和工作并不是屈从于另一个文化或者通过比较感受自身文化的优越感的过程,出国真正的意义在于,学习其他语言和文化的魅力,探索到自身的强项和弱点,更加了解你自己的内心,对于其他人给予更多理解和感激,还有爱。留学生活让我更加珍惜我原有的生活,也更加感恩我的父母和陪伴我成长朋友们。留学生活的环境没有人了解你,要尽全力让人们了解你的基本品德,这样的对比之下,当我回到一个环境里有几个挚友,有父母的无条件的爱让我感到了无比幸福和幸运。另一方面,在国外的生活中遇到的成为好朋友的经历也让我懂得友谊并不是相同的文化或者背景为基础建立起来的,而是我们内心相同的热情,脑海中相似的思想。

温馨提示:英文版为原版,明尼苏达大学法学院有与内容相对应的视频发布。中文版虽然不与英文版一一对应,但是添加了更多针对中国留学生的建议和解释。这篇文章是本人与Hannah Kuether (Assistant Director)共同协商创作,在此非常感谢Hannah!

作者:安美玲
文章建议:Hannah Kuether

------------------------英文版(原版)-----------------------
Why I went to University of Minnesota Law School to study LLM

—— how studying working experiences in the US enriched my life

1.Purpose and Goals of Going Abroad

As a long term goal, I went to the University of Minnesota Law School because I wanted to work as a public interest lawyer in my country to help vulnerable groups. And the US, as a country that has well developed public interest system, it is a good place to study and observe the society under the legal system. As a short term goal, I wanted to be more competitive when I am looking for jobs in Beijing.

2. How I lived my life in order to achieve my goals

I participated every networking events both in Minnesota, developed interview skills from career center in UMN law school staff Hallie Prest, listened to most of job searching lectures at law school, too. The specific details about how I managed my academic life and extracurricular life to finish my degree and find a job at the same time, you may be able to find them at the following link.
WHY University of Minnesota LLM for Chinese Students: Extra-curricular activities: Academic Activities (https://bbs.gter.net/forum.php?mo ... 9&highlight=UMN )
WHY University of Minnesota LLM for Chinese Students: Extra-curricular activities (https://bbs.gter.net/forum.php?mo ... &highlight=UMN_

Because of the precious opportunity to study, work and live a life in the US, I received valuable experiences and developed my mind further.

3. What I gained in UMN law school, and the working experience after graduation

(1) Overcome “language barrier”
First, I overcome the “language barrier”. I consider language barrier as the fear when using English instead of the actual capacity of English. When you are working in an environment surrounded by local language speakers, you may feel you are making a lot of mistakes, you may feel that you are expected to behave under their expectation. And eventually you will discover, there is no such thing as perfect English even for the locals, and everyone has different religions, cultures, mother tongues within the country.  When you discover this truth, your fear will eventually go away, and that’s when your English will improve significantly. And the LLM program is a good preparation before you face with those challenges, and provide you with inner power from the friendships when you struggled with cultural differences, language barriers together. Also, it’s the support from law school professors, and other law school staff who guided me the right path to my career even when I was in Washington DC.

(2) Discover who I am and become determined about my goals
Second, I can fully embrace myself and follow my heart without hesitation. You will be asked about your culture, religions, passions when you are in a new country. When my identity, passion, cultures, belief are challenged, I took time to consider who I really am, what I really want in my life and the right way to express it eventually. I consider living in another country as an opportunity to rebuild myself, re-identify myself since there is barely anyone know me, and I would not have any external factors and social pressure to limit myself from expressing my unique perspectives and opinions. As for my identity, I am Korean Chinese, which means my family was originally from Korean Peninsula, but I am born in China, and I love both of the cultures and cannot live without either culture. As for my passion, I am passionate about human rights law, because I believe justice and equality is the right path to happiness for human beings. I am patient, ambitious, and determined so that no matter how long it takes, I will keep trying to be a human rights lawyer, and help more people.

(3) Become patient, open, understandable about people from cultures and develop critical thinking
Third, I am able to understand cultural differences as well as individual differences. Those cultures, countries I learned in textbooks and social media, become real people who are living in the same neighborhood with feelings, emotions, and beliefs. When you see these lovely friends, adorable babies, you won’t relate to anything that showed stereotypical or negative images from the media. What I did to make friends with people from different cultures, religions are, I treat them as my LLM classmates, be patient and honest, try to explain the differences with open mind, listen to their stories without jumping into judgement. If you do that, based on my experiences, you have higher possibility to make friends who have good hearts with open mind, patience, and they can help you when you need someone to be there.   

4. Personal Conclusion: Meaning of Going Abroad
Therefore, I think going abroad to travel, study, or work is NOT about complying yourself to another culture, or feel superior about yourself/ your culture, actually, it is about learning the beauty of other languages and cultures, discovering the strengths and weakness of yourself, and understand who you are, and give more understandings, appreciation and love to other people. I started to appreciate my parents, understand their love much better and appreciate friendships I developed both in the US and China. I lived in the new environment that no one knows me so that I have to make best efforts to make people understand my basic character, when I meet with a couple friends who can understand everything I say without too much words and parents who love me unconditionally, I was able to feel how happy and lucky I am. Also, on the other hand, when I realize friendship is not based on same culture or background, instead, it is the passion we have in heart, the idea we have in mind.

PS: The English version is the original one, and there is a video published at UMN Law School website with the similar content. The English version and Chinese version do not align exact, in Chinese version, the author added more personalized suggestions, explanations target to Chinese students. I would like to appreciate Hannah Kuether (Assistant Director) who supported me clarify my ideas while I am writing this article.

Author: Meiling An
Advisor: Hannah Kuether

已有 2 人评分寄托币 声望 收起 理由
Bonniezm + 20 + 5 感谢分享
vegetable03 + 10 + 5 感谢分享

总评分: 寄托币 + 30  声望 + 10   查看全部投币

回应

使用道具 举报

声望
寄托币
注册时间
2014-3-24
精华
帖子
沙发
发表于 2018-1-18 19:21:01 |只看该作者
谢谢楼主,很受启发。

使用道具 举报

声望
寄托币
注册时间
2014-2-26
精华
帖子

US Advisor US-applicant 分享之阳 律政先锋

板凳
发表于 2018-1-18 22:13:10 |只看该作者
Well said. Congrats.

使用道具 举报

声望
寄托币
注册时间
2016-3-12
精华
帖子
地板
发表于 2019-2-17 20:42:40 |只看该作者
Parthenopaeus 发表于 2018-1-18 19:21
谢谢楼主,很受启发。

非常感谢你的评论!不用客气~

使用道具 举报

声望
寄托币
注册时间
2016-3-12
精华
帖子
发表于 2019-2-17 20:42:57 |只看该作者
JD@UVA 发表于 2018-1-18 22:13
Well said. Congrats.

Thank you so much!

使用道具 举报

RE: 为何选择在明尼苏达大学法学院读LLM—在美读书和工作如何丰富我的人生(中英双语) [修改]
您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 立即注册

问答
Offer
投票
面经
最新
精华
转发
转发该帖子
为何选择在明尼苏达大学法学院读LLM—在美读书和工作如何丰富我的人生(中英双语)
https://bbs.gter.net/thread-2144339-1-1.html
复制链接
发送
报offer 祈福 爆照
回顶部