B. Word Limit: about 200 words
C. Your composition should be based on the Outline given in Chinese below:
1. 每天全世界都有成千上万的人死于交通事故。
2. a. 开车的人越来越不注重自己的行为规范,公德意识越来越差。
    b. 整个社会对肇事者持纵容态度,交通的发展给城市和乡村带来很大影响。
3. 制定交通法规遏止交通事故的发生。
例文:
Only Stricter Traffic Laws Can Prevent Accidents
Though the possibility of living a long and happy life is greater than ever before,
every day we cites the incredible slaughter of men, women and children on the
roads. Man versus the motor-car! It is a never-ending battle which man is losing.  
Thousands of people the world over are killed or horribly mutilated each year and
we are quietly sitting back and letting it happen.
It has been rightly said that when a man is sitting behind a steering wheel, his
car becomes the extension of his personality. There is no doubt that the
motor-car often brings out a man’s very worst qualities. People who are normally
quiet and pleasant may become unrecognizable when they are behind a
steering-wheel.
They are ill-mannered and aggressive, willful as two-year olds and utterly selfish.
The surprising thing is that society smiles so benignly on the motorist and seems to condone his behavior. Everything is done for his convenience. Cities are all owed to become almost uninhabitable because of heavy traffic; the countryside is
desecrated by road networks; and the mass annual slaughter becomes nothing
more than a statistic, to be conveniently forgotten.
It is high time a world code were created to reduce this senseless waste of human
life. With regard to driving, laws of some countries are notoriously lax and even the
strictest are not strict enough. A code which was universally accepted could only
have dramatically beneficial effect on the accident rate.

Directions:
A. Title: Parents Are Too Permissive With Their Children Nowadays
1. 孩子成为家庭的中心,父母日渐失去应有的权威。
2. 父母对孩子的溺爱和忽视导致青少年犯罪。
3. 孩子的生活过于安逸对他们日后的成长不利。
例文:
Parents Are Too Permissive With Their Children Nowadays
There are countless articles on child care in magazines and newspapers. With so  
much unsolicited advice flying about, mum and dad just don’t know what to do
any more. In the end, they do nothing at all. So, from early childhood, the kids are  
in charge and parents’ lives are regulated according to the needs of their offspring. When the little dears develop into teenagers, they take complete control. Lax
authority over the years makes adolescent rebellion against parents all the more violent. If the young people are going to have a party, for instance, parents are asked to leave the house. Their presence merely spoils the fun. What else can the poor
parents do but obey?
Children are hardy creatures and most of them survive the harmful influence of
extreme permissiveness which is the normal condition in the modern household.
But a great many do not. The spread of juvenile delinquency in our own age is
largely due to parental laxity. Mother, believing that little Johnny can look after
himself, is not at home when he returns from school, so little Johnny roams the
streets. The dividing-line between permissiveness and sheer negligence is very fine
in deed.
The psychologists have much to answer for. They should keep their mouths shut
and let parents get on with the job. And if children are knocked about a little bit
in the process, it may not really matter too much. At least this will help them  
to develop vigorous views of their own and give them something positive to react  
against. Perhaps there’s some truth in the idea that children who’ve had a surfeit
of happiness in their childhood emerge like stodgy puddings and fail to make a  
success of life.

Directions:
A. Title: People Should Be Rewarded According To Ability, Or To Age And Experien
ce
1. 年轻人进入社会要对论资排辈的现实。
2. 社会上种种要素阻碍年轻人发展。
3. 雇主应该正确看待一个人的能力,按其能力付给报酬。
例文:
People Should Be Rewarded According To Ability, Or To Age And Experience
Young men and women join the hierarchy and take their place in the queue. They g
o to the very end of the queue and stay there no matter how brilliant they are. W
hat they know is much less important than whom they know and how old they are. Wh
at they know is much less important than whom they know and how old they are. If  
they are able, their abilities will be acknowledged and rewarded in due course -  
that is, after twenty or thirty years have passed.
There seems to be a gigantic conspiracy against young people. While on the one h
and society provides them with better educational facilities, on the other it doe
s its best to exclude them from the jobs that really matter. There are exceptions
, of course. Some young people do manage to break through the barrier despite the
restriction, but the great majority have to wait patiently for years before they
can really give full rein to their abilities. This means that, in most fields, t
he views of young people are never heard because there is no one to represent the
m. President Kennedy was one of the notable exceptions. One of the most tragic as
pects of his assassination is that mankind was deprived of a youthful leader.
Resentment is the cause of a great deal of bitterness. The young resent the old  
because they feel deprived of the good things life has to offer. The old resent t
he young because they are afraid of losing what they have. A man of fifty or so m
ight say, ’Why should a young rascal straight out of school out of school earn mo
re than I do? But if the young rascal is more able, more determined, harder-worki
ng than his middle-aged critic, why shouldn’t he? Employers should recognize abil
ity and reward it justly. This would remove one of the biggest causes of friction
between old and young and ultimately it would lead to a better society.’
Directions:
A. Write an essay of about 200 words.
B. Your essay should be based on the outline below:
1. 主题句:人们对大学合并持有不同的态度;
2. 发展句:
a. 一些人认为大学合并是建设世界一流大学的重要举措。
b. 另一些人认为大学合并有一些潜在的问题,如管理问题。
3. 结论句:大学合并利大于弊,但应考虑到带来的问题。
例文:
University Merger
University merger, a hot topic both on and off campus, has received much public  
attention. People’s attitudes towards it vary greatly.
Some people favor it as an important step that universities take towards the goa
l of first-rate world universities. They argue that, only through mergers can uni
versities give full play to their own advantages and make up for their disadvanta
ges. Take the merger between Tsinghua University and the Institute of Applied Art
s as an example. The former’s strengths in the field of high technology complemen
t the latter’s reputation for art. They also point out that university mergers wi
ll increase the competitive power of Chinese universities in the world. In spite  
of these arguments, there are those who see it as a hasty decision which has some
potential problems. They claim, for instance, located far away from each other,  
the universities involved in a merger are usually faced with the tough problem of
management.
In my opinion, university merger has more advantages than disadvantages, but uni
versities should take into account the potential dangers resulting from mergers.
Directions:
A. Title: 7-day Holiday
1. 五一节实行了七天假期制度。
2. a. 七天假期给社会和个人都带来了好处。
b. 七天假期也暴露出一些问题。
3. 政府应确保相关设施,如交通设施,适应假日活动的需要。
例文:
7-day Holiday
A 7-day holiday came into effect on May Day this year, which seems to be good ne
ws to everyone. After all, under great pressure every day, everyone longs to slow
down and rediscover the real fun of life.
Such a week-long holiday has brought a lot of benefits to the society and people
. For individuals, it enables them to have more time for whatever they are intere
sted in. They can make full use of the 7 days for a good rest, shopping or travel
ing. for the society, the 7-day holiday well serves the purpose of stimulating an
d promoting the development of tourism.
However, this piece of good news also has a dark side. Owing to the large popula
tion of China, most people’s travel experiences during the first 7-day holiday, t
hough well planned in advance, turned sour; they couldn’t book railway tickets; h
otels were packed; tourist attractions were all full of people. No wonder that a  
flood of complaints followed the week - long holiday.
As the saying goes, ”All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy.” Longer holiday
s are certainly desirable, but the government should see that related facilities,
such as transportation system and accommodation, are promptly adapted to the nee
d of holiday activities.
Directions:
A. Title: Unemployment
1. 下岗被视为目前中国面临的头号问题。
2. 政府已对这一问题展开了攻势。
a. 建立了下岗基金以帮助下岗职工维持生活。
b. 下岗职工接受职业培训,从而使他们求职时具有一技之长。
c. 为下岗职工提供心理咨询。
3. 随着政府和社会的共同努力,我们相信一定能解决下岗问题。
例文:
Unemployment
Unemployment is viewed as the number one problem in China now and the government
has launched a major attack on the problem.
The steps the government has taken to deal with unemployment are as follows. Fir
stly, unemployment fund has been established to help the unemployed workers to su
pport themselves. Secondly, the unemployed receive vocational training, which is  
expected to pay off in the short term and give the unemployed an advantage in the
job market. It is due to the lack of professional skills that these workers have
lagged behind in the society. These training programs aim to equip the workers w
ith some special skills, such as typing, sewing, and cooking. Finally, psychologi
cal advice is also available, since unemployment, apart from exerting financial p
ressures, brings enormous psychological discomfort. With the advice, the unemploy
ed will learn how to adapt to the fierce competition in the technological age.
With the joint efforts of the government and the society, we are optimistic that
we can win the current war on unemployment.
Directions:
A. Cars play an important role in modern society. But they are also responsible  
for a good part of air pollution in big cities. Write an essay of about 200 words
on car and air pollution.
B. Your essay must be written neatly on ANSWER SHEET 2.
C. Your essay should cover the following points:
1. the serious problem of air pollution caused by cars;
2. your suggestions on how to deal with the problem.
例文:
Cars and Air Pollution
Too many cars have created a lot of serious problems in our world. Besides conge
stion, accidents and fast fuel consumption are responsible for a good part of air
pollution in big cities. All the time, they are pumping huge amounts of waste ga
ses into the atmosphere. These gases are very harmful, causing disease and even d
eath. Last winter, car fumes formed heavy smog over Beijing, making the sky gloom
y for weeks and deteriorating people’s health.
One possible solution is to design and develop clean cars and clean fuels. In Ts
inghua University, campus buses are driven by electricity. In Beijing some of the
public buses begin to run on natural gas, which does not give off as much carbon
dioxide as the petrol. But it may take decades for the new models of clean cars  
to completely replace the traditional ones.
Another solution is to develop modern public transportation systems and restrict
the use of private cars. If the price of petrol rises constantly and the public  
vehicles are efficient and convenient enough, most people will not private cars.  
And the total number of cars in big cities will reduce greatly.
On the whole, the elimination of air pollution needs the co-efforts from the gov
ernment, the public and the environments. This problem will be solved only with t
he help of science and technology.
Directions:
A. Write a letter to your local English-language newspaper giving your view on a
discussion that has arisen as a result of an article they published entitled ”Wh
y Do We Need English?”
B. Your letter must be written of about 200 words, excluding the addresses, etc.
No.47, Haidian Road
Haidian District
Beijing, 100086
August 18,1999
The Editor
Local English Daily
Wuhua Building
Beijing, 100781
Dear Sir:
I have been following with great interest the discussion inspired by Mr. Wang Li
’s article ”Why Do We Need English?” published in the Local English Daily of 20th
May, 1999.
The one aspect of the English language that most of your correspondents seem to  
be unaware of is its widespread use as the international language of diplomacy, c
ommerce and technology. It is the language of the United Nations and its agencies
as well as of many other international bodies. We would be foolish to confine ou
r vision to our national borders only. We are still, after all, dependent on othe
r countries for technical and industrial assistance. How can we hope to be econom
ically and technologically independent if we are not able to communicate in these
areas outside our own country?
English must be taught in all our schools, not only for the above reasons but al
so so that our students can go abroad to learn the techniques our nation so urgen
tly needs. We also need representatives who can command respect at the internatio
nal conference tables of the world. And if English is the common language of comm
unications for world diplomacy, economics and defence, then let us be as fluent a
nd proficient in it as possible, for the sake of our own country’s advancement an
d prestige.
Yours sincerely,
Li Xiaohua
Directions:
A. Title: A Matter of Approach
C. Your composition should be based on the OUTLINE below and should start with t
he given opening sentence: ”Two secondary school teachers I remember show how dif
ferent people can be though engaged in the same profession.”
D. Your composition must be written neatly on the ANSWER SHEET 2.
OUTLINE:
1. Two secondary school teachers I remember
2. The differences between the two teachers in classroom attitudes
3. Their attitudes to their students
4. Their methods of teaching
例文:
A Matter of Approach
Two secondary school teachers I remember show how different people can be though
engaged in the same profession.
Mrs. Wang, my philosophy teacher, sent us to sleep less than ten minutes when sh
e started talking in class. When a head nodded, she would point at the dozing stu
dent and made threatening remarks. She said that she was bored teaching us. Some  
students in her eyes had no desire to learn. But the other teacher Mr. Li always  
had bright eyes in a smiling face and encouraging words which showed that he love
d Chinese history he was teaching and wanted us to love it too.
When it came to their attitudes to their students, they were different too. Afte
r Mrs. Wang finished her day’s lessens she felt that she had finished her job. On
ce when I asked her a question outside class about a term, she continued with pre
paration to leave and said that I could bring my question to class next week. Bef
ore I knew it she had put her keys into her handbag and walked out of the door. I
n the history class, however, a question even after the bell would still be given
attention to by Mr. Li. He would rush to the board in a last minute attempt to c
lear up. Often he was seen with a number of students standing outside the classro
om, discussing the day’s assignment.
Their methods of teaching were not like as well. Mrs. Wang stuck to the textbook
and trained us how to memorize minute facts. However Mr. Li brought in films, ma
ps, slides, tapes, anything that would help us learn. Once the whole class went t
o see the ’film Lin Zexu’ in order to better understand the history of the Opium  
War from 1840 to 1842. Owing to these contrasts, I do not think I can forget eith
er of my past teachers.
Directions:
A. Title: Global Shortage of Fresh Water
1. 人们认为淡水是取之不尽的(提示:雨水,河水,井水)
2. 实际上淡水是短缺的(提示:人口增加,工业用水增加,污染严重)
3. 我们应当怎么办(提示:节约用水,开发新水源)
例文:
Global Shortage of Fresh Water
People often think that water will never be used up. There is plenty of water, s
uch as rain, water from the rivers and wells. It seems as if water is always avai
lable around us and we never have to worry about water shortage.
In fact water is rather limited on the earth. With the rapid increase of populat
ion and fast development of industries, water is more needed than before. At the  
same time, a large amount of water has been polluted and wasted every day. Some b
ig cities in China are facing the problem of water shortage already. There, water
supply is controlled and industry has been restrained.
What should we do about the water shortage? I think, first, the people should be
made aware of the real situation about the water. Everyone should consciously sa
ve on water and certain law should be made that no water will be polluted. We hav
e to protect the existing water resources and develop new ones. In this way I bel
ieve that our cities will not be thirsty for water in the future.
Directions:
请按题目: Advantages of Five-Day week(5天工作日的优点)写出大约200个字的短文,并
包括下列内容:
1. 对家庭的好处
2. 对社会的好处
3. 对个人的好处
例文:
Advantages of Five-Day week
A five-day week has been put into practice in China, which is welcomed by every-
one. It is obvious that a five-day week has brought about many advantages to the  
society and people. First, families have benefited from it very much. They have m
ore time to spend together or go for an outing during the weekend. Children are a
ble to learn usefully skills, women have enough time to take care of the house, g
o shopping or relax.
Second, society has also benefited from it. As people have two days off, they wo
uld like to go shopping or travelling, which can promote the commerce and tourism
. Then the shops and travel agency will have more customers.
Third, individuals have also enjoyed the benefit from the five-day week, because
they have more time for whatever they are interested in during the weekend. For  
example, one likes stamp collection, he will have enough time to enjoy it. What’s
more, individuals can make full use of a weekend for a good rest. Adequate rest  
will enable him to work more efficiently.
In a word, a five-day week is beneficial to the society, families and individual
s.
Directions:
A. Study the following paragraph carefully and write a letter of about 200 words
B. Your name is Li Jin, a student of the Department of Applied Physics, Tsinghua
University. You hope to further your study in Boston University (Massachusetts,  
USA) upon your graduation next year. Now you are writing to the office of graduat
e admissions to ask for the Application Form and other relative materials. The fo
llowing points should also be covered by letter:
1. your personal information
2. the reason why you choose Boston University
3. a brief study plan
C. Your essay must be written clearly on the ANSWER SHEET 2.
例文:
Department of Applied Physics
Tsinghua University
Beijing, China
Sept. 11th, 1999
Office of Graduate Admissions
Boston University
Massachusetts, USA
Dear Sir or Madam,
I am writing in the hope that I may obtain an opportunity to further my study in
Applied Physics toward master degree in your university.
My name is Li Jin, an undergraduate student of the Department of Applied Physics
, Tsinghua University(China). Next year in the summer, I will graduate and get my
BS degree. I plan to continue my study and research in this field under the inst
ructions of first-class professors and in a dynamic academic atmosphere. I chose  
Boston University because there are a congenial team of researchers, an array of  
databases and research projects in your School of Physics. I believe my interests
are extremely congruent with the strengths of the School. And my solid academic  
background will meet your general entrance requirements for graduate study.
I will appreciate it very much if you could send me the Graduate Application For
ms, the Application Form for Scholarships/Assistantships, a detailed introduction
to the School of Physics, and other relevant information. My mailing address is  
shown on the top of this letter.
I am looking forward to hearing from you soon.
Sincerely yours,
Li Jin
Directions:
A. Title:What Will Happen If China Enters WTO?
1. 每个中国人都盼望中国加入世界贸易组织。
2. a. 加入世贸组织,国家和人民都将大大受益; b. 加入世贸组织,也会带来一些不利影
响,如国有企业将面临更大的挑战。
3. 对中国加入世贸组织感到欣喜之余,我们也应看到随之而来的一些挑战。
例文:
What Will Happen If China Enters WTO?
Every Chinese is looking forward to China’s entry into WTO, widely seen as a ble
ssing and a promise of prosperity. It seems to be so at first sight, however, on  
reflection, we’re convinced that it’s just another coin with two sides.
On the one hand, both the nation and people will benefit greatly from China’s en
try into WTO. Shut out of WTO, China used to be deprived of equal trade opportuni
ties and was placed at a distinct disadvantage in world trade. This situation wil
l change if China enters WTO. In addition, foreign coMPAnies will stream into Chi
na and offer great job opportunities, which, in a sense, will relieve the unemplo
yment problem.
On the other hand, the entry will impose some negative effects on China. State-o
wned enterprises in China are undergoing great difficulties, which will be more a
cute with the flow of foreign competitors into China.
In short, excited about the advantages caused by the entry, we should not lose s
ight of the severe challenges posed by it.
Directions:
A. Title: Fast Food
C. Your composition should be based on the Outline given in Chinese blew:
1. 快餐在中国十分流行,它是现代快节奏社会的最佳反映。
2. a. 快餐受欢迎有两条原因: b. 然而,从营养角度来讲,快餐却差强人意。
3. 对快餐还是以偶尔品尝为宜。
例文:
Fast Food
Fast food is becoming more popular in China, especially among children and teena
gers. Today, it’s certainly difficult to think of any other single thing that rep
resents the fast pace of modern society as powerfully as fast food.
There are several reasons for its popularity. First, it is very convenient and s
aves a lot of time. The trends of modern society seem to all point to one ultimat
e goal —— saving time, and fast food well serves this purpose. You just go into
a fast food restaurant, order your food, and your food is ready in no time. You  
can either eat it there or take it away. Second, its popularity is also attribute
d to the clean and comfortable environment of fast food restaurants, the excellen
t service, and the guaranteed quality of food.
However, in terms of nutrition, fast food is far from satisfactory. It usually d
oes not compose a balanced diet and is low in nutritional value. Thus, doctors su
ggest that people, especially children, eat fast food as little as possible.
Although cooking at home is time — consuming and the following washing-up tires
ome, it offers healthy and delicious meals your body likes and needs. Fast food i
s only a good choice when you are in a hurry and turn to it once in a while.
Directions:
A. Write an essay that conveys the information in the following cartoon accoMPAn
ied by your comments.
C. Your essay should be written clearly on ANSWER SHEET 2
营生
祖上以打猎为生
爷爷以卖上等木材为生
父亲以卖劈柴和柴墩为生
儿子以卖根雕原料为生
孙子以卖黄沙为生
……
例文:
Preserving Natural Resources
Through the changes in the ways of making a living in a family over several gene
rations, the cartoon aims at sounding a warning against man’s wasteful use of nat
ural resources and emphasizing the urgent need to preserve these resources.
Ever since man appeared on the earth, man’s survival has been heavily relied on  
nature. Almost everything we use in our everyday life comes from nature, ranging  
from the food we eat, the water we drink, to the wood which is turned into furnit
ure. With the development of technology and population growth, the amount and ran
ge of materials used has increased at an alarming rate. However, natural resource
s are not inexhaustible. Some reserves are already on the brink of exhaustion and
there is no hope of replacing them. The widespread water shortage is an example  
in point. If man continued to squander natural resources with no thought for the  
future, the later generations would end up selling sand, as is the case in the ca
rtoon, and the whole world would be in a mess.
Time is running out. It is up to us to take effective measures before the situat
ion gets out of hand.
已有 1 人评分寄托币 收起 理由
stephanie_sisu + 5 谢谢分享

总评分: 寄托币 + 5   查看全部投币

汝不可因惰而随心所睡!汝不可移志而半途而废!汝不可因苦而哭天抹泪!汝不可求闲而叫苦喊累!汝不可因难而节节后退!汝不可因败而万念俱灰!坚持到底!

请大家贯彻自己动手丰衣足食的原则。有问题先找精华,再提问。

在寄托,我们携手同行,飞跃梦想
回应

使用道具 举报

声望
寄托币
注册时间
2005-3-16
精华
帖子

Aries白羊座 荣誉版主

沙发