Location Richardson, Texas, USA
Campus Suburban, 455 acres (1.8 km²)
Enrollment 9,070 undergraduate,
5,022 graduate (Fall 2005)
Faculty 627 (Fall 2004)
Mascot Comets
Endowment $195.7 million
Website www.utd.edu
The University of Texas at Dallas is a branch of the UT system, which, despite its name, is located in the Dallas suburb of Richardson, Texas. Known for its computer science, engineering and management programs among others, the average SAT scores of the school sometimes exceed that of the flagship university in the system. UTD is sometimes considered the third best Texas public institute after the University of Texas at Austin and Texas A&M University at College Station. It is located in the heart of Telecom Corridor, and has its roots in the development of the Metroplex's high tech industry.

History
The university was originally started as a research arm of Texas Instruments as the Graduate Research Center of the Southwest in 1961. The institute was later donated to the University of Texas system by its founders Eugene McDermott, Cecil Howard Green and J. Erik Jonsson. By law, UTD conferred only graduate degrees until 1975. Upper-division undergraduate students were allowed to start enrolling in UTD starting in 1974. Eventually freshmen and sophomores were allowed by legislative decree in 1990.

Campus

UTD Proposed Campus Map 2027. Click to enlarge for more detail. Buildings in peach are existing buildings.Although a relatively new campus, it has grown by leaps and bounds. Having more room than the UT System's flagship school, University of Texas at Austin, there is lots of room for growth. A lot of the future development of the land can be found in UTD's Master Plan as created in 2003. The total lands controlled by UTD totals 866 acres (3.5 km²). With about half of that, 460 acres (1.9 km²), designated as the real limit to "campus" development. The remainder would be held and strategically subdivided and sold over time to increase the University's endowment.

Typical architecture
The buildings on campus are modern in appearance with materials mainly consisting of and limited to precast concrete with bronze glass and bronze aluminum frames to provide a contiguous campus appearance.

Landscaping
President Daniel recently announced a $10 million campus beautification project after the campus received an undisclosed "multi-million" dollar donation from a donor who wished to be anonymous. Since President Daniel does not wish to disclose the donation amount, questions have been raised as to the actual significance of the donation in comparison with the entire $10 million project.

Campus appearance has been an issue to some for a long time. Many areas on campus are showing their age and have not received significant "up keep" to maintain a quality appearance. Some example areas include the tiles in the campus mall area where the they have cracked (due to shifting of the soil) and become discolored. Many students also have complained informally about the lack of trees and shrubbery in open spaces.

Since the beginning of Daniel's tenure at UTD, a new fence has been erected around the back of the Visual Arts building, picnic tables erected near the Multi Purpose building, new campus signs have begun construction at both Waterview Pkwy. and Floyd Rd. intersecting with Campbell Rd, and repair to the tiles is already underway, and should be done in December.

Residential housing
On-campus housing for students is provided in Waterview Park, generally referred to simply as Waterview, a complex of 1297 apartments. Apartments are shared by up to four students, and have individual hygiene and cooking facilities, as well as wireless network access. Leisure facilities, including clubhouses and pools, are shared between the residents of each building.

Waterview has attracted a certain amount of controversy, being dubbed "the Dorm from Hell" in an April 2005 article in the Dallas Observer [1]. The article criticised the apartment complex as poorly designed, poorly maintained, and a hotbed of violent crime. The accuracy of the article has been called into question, since it was written by an investigative journalism class at nearby Southern Methodist University, but university authorities took the allegations seriously enough to institute an internal inquiry.

Building Plans
Currently a brand new state of the art 85 million dollar Natural Science and Engineering Research Building is close to completion on the northern end of campus.
A cluster of modern dormitories, which would resemble suites
A new administration building
Expansion of classrooms and offices
The construction of a new visual and performing arts center
6,000 additional parking spaces

Additional information
UTD's Master Plan as per the UTSystem
UTD's Strategic Plan

Pop Culture
The independent movie Primer was partially filmed at the University of Texas at Dallas in 2004 by Shane Carruth. The film went on to win the Grand Jury and the Alfred P. Sloan awards at the 2004 Sundance Film Festival.

Telecom corridor
UTD is located right next to the Telecom Corridor known for its telecommunications companies. It is a hotspot in the tech world.

Athletics

UTD CometsThe University of Texas at Dallas athletics program started when UTD joined the NCAA Division III and the American Southwest Conference in 1998.

Since joining the ASC in 2002, the Comets have become traditional powerhouses and title contenders in several sports – including men's and women's soccer, baseball, softball and (most recently) men's basketball. Additionally, athletes from several individual sports have made their mark on conference competition.

Upon completion of the mandated four-year provisional period, UTD was granted full membership privileges in the NCAA and the ASC conference for fall 2002. That first season, the men's and women's soccer teams competed for conference championships. The women won the 2002 ASC title and UTD ended up hosting the conference tournament as well as the first round of NCAA playoffs in UTD's first year as active members. The success contined in 2003-04 when men's and women's soccer, men's basksetball, baseball and softball all advanced to the post-season.

In 2005, the UTD Athletic Program claimed three ASC Championships – men's soccer and men's basketball as well as a co-championship in women's soccer. The men's soccer and basketball teams advanced to the NCAA Division III national playoffs in their sports. Baseball and softball also made its third consecutive appearance in the ASC post-season tournament.

Already one of the larger universities in the ASC and in all of NCAA Division III, the Comets have high expectations for continued success.

Chess team
Nearly a decade ago, the university launched a chess program that quickly became a perennial contender for national championships. UTD's chess players have won or tied for the Pan American Intercollegiate Team Chess Championship title, emblematic of the top college chess team in the Western Hemisphere, four out of the last five years. The university recruits worldwide for its chess team, and has been able to attract International Grandmaster level players.

In addition, students from UTD have enjoyed success in Destination ImagiNation, an international creative problem solving competition – including two first-place finishes in a global tournament held in June.

Intramural sports
UTD has grown as a collegiate level flag football power house, with its 2004 intramural flag football champs, the Killer Bees, went onto defeat many NCAA D1 schools at the texas regional tournament including UT Austin (in a shut-out win) where they were crowned regional champs and went on to progress to the national championships. They finished third at the National Tournament in New Orleans beating college football powerhouses Nebraska and North Carolina State along the way.

UTD played host to the 2005 Texas Regional Flag Football Tournament Nov. 11-13.

Academic programs
UTD offers seven different academic programs with various specific and interdisciplinary concentrations, granting bachelors, masters, and doctoral degrees:

School of Arts and Humanities
School of Arts and Technology
School of Behavioral and Brain Sciences
Erik Jonsson School of Engineering and Computer Sciences
School of General Studies, including Gender Studies and American Studies
School of Management
School of Natural Sciences and Mathematics
School of Social Sciences, with Sociology, Government and Politics, and Public Administration
According to its own rankings, the School of Management ranks among the top 40 in the world in research (Study). Also Financial Times Ranks UTD's EMBA Program Among the Top 25 in U.S., Top 46 in World.

Notable alumni
Sam Gilliland - director, chairman, and CEO for Sabre Holdings Corporation, president and CEO of Travelocity
Alan Halliburton - president of Halliburton Investor Relations
Dipak C. Jain - dean of the Kellogg School of Management and professor of marketing
Melendy Lovett - president of Texas Instruments (TI) Educational & Productivity Solutions and senior vice president of TI
Richard D. McCullough - dean of the Mellon College of Science at Carnegie Mellon University
Shannon Hughes - Runner-Up Finalist Cover Model on "SI Swimsuit Model Search" on NBC
James F. Reilly - NASA astronaut, Geosciences PhD, MS, & BS from UTD

微凉的晨露 沾湿黑礼服 石板路有雾 父在低诉
无奈的觉悟 只能更残酷 一切都为了 通往圣堂的路
吹不散的雾 隐没了意图 谁轻柔踱步 停住
还来不及哭 穿过的子弹 就带走 温度
我们每个人都有罪 犯着不同的罪
我能决定谁对 谁又该要沉睡
争论不能解决 在永无止境的夜
关掉你的嘴 唯一的恩惠
挡在前面的人都有罪 后悔也无路可退
以父之名判决 那感觉没有适合字
就像边笑边掉泪 凝视着完全的黑
阻挡悲剧蔓延的悲剧会让我沉醉
回应

使用道具 举报

声望
寄托币
注册时间
2005-9-25
精华
帖子

Golden Apple

沙发
发表于 2006-4-4 09:13:27 |只看该作者
评论

微凉的晨露 沾湿黑礼服 石板路有雾 父在低诉
无奈的觉悟 只能更残酷 一切都为了 通往圣堂的路
吹不散的雾 隐没了意图 谁轻柔踱步 停住
还来不及哭 穿过的子弹 就带走 温度
我们每个人都有罪 犯着不同的罪
我能决定谁对 谁又该要沉睡
争论不能解决 在永无止境的夜
关掉你的嘴 唯一的恩惠
挡在前面的人都有罪 后悔也无路可退
以父之名判决 那感觉没有适合字
就像边笑边掉泪 凝视着完全的黑
阻挡悲剧蔓延的悲剧会让我沉醉

使用道具 举报

声望
寄托币
注册时间
2005-9-25
精华
帖子

Golden Apple

板凳
发表于 2006-4-4 09:14:04 |只看该作者
Waterview Apartments - should I live in campus?
Sep 15 '00

Author's Product Rating

Pros
Apartments, pools, walking distance from school.

Cons
Privately owned

Full Review
I've been a graduate student at University of Texas at Dallas for more than three years now, and for all this time I have lived in campus. So I got to know it pretty well, with all the good and bad things.

Form of housing: unlike other universities, these are not dorms but apartments. You can choose from a wide variety of them: efficiencies, one bedrooms (4-5 types differentiated by size), two bedrooms and four bedrooms (again multiple sizes). The two and four bedrooms are constructed for multiple roommates, that is you have two baths in each one of them. There is also a kitchen with a refrigerator, electric oven and dish washer. Some of the apartments have washer and dryer, for the others there are several clothes centers located inside the complex with brand new equipment at this time.

The apartments are grouped in seven phases, phase one being the oldest (constructed around 1960). I lived there for 2 years and I used to pay a lot of money for the electricity. This year I moved to phase three (newer) and the electric bill reduced to a quarter. Somebody explained to me that the equipment (ac, refrigerators, etc) in phase one is pretty old and they eat a lot of energy. So, although the rent is lower for the apartments in phase one, on the whole it's better to stay in a higher numbered phase. The last one they constructed (lately they've build one phase a year) is reserved for the freshmen. They probably want to keep them away from the "normal" guys (no offense guys). But they get the best place in the complex!!

Location: the apartments are located within walking distance from the university buildings. The most far away phase (2) is at 10 minutes. However it's not that easy to walk to a supermarket. If you are a good walker, you can do it in half an hour but usually the sun kills you on the way back. So I suggest you save some money and buy a car...

Entertainment: Almost all phases have their own pool, the biggest one is in phase three and most of the guys come here to relax. There are also some basketball and volleyball courts in phase two and an entertainment center in each phase. So in case you want to through a party or if you want to invite your friends for a group study you don't have to do it in your home. Cable is not included in the rent but you can order it from the local company.

Rent waiver: I know that some universities offer rent waiver for graduate students in campus (after all we work for them as teaching or research assistants). There is no such thing at UTD. Why that happens is probably the most stupid thing I have ever heard: the buildings are privately owned even though the land belongs to UTD. So the university has no power over the apartments !! However, only registered students are allowed to rent a room in campus.

Prices: prices are comparable to apartments around. There are other apartments complex (closest at 10 minutes of driving) but if you are new and don't have a car the campus seems like the best idea. And don't count on the buses, in Texas nobody does. It is difficult to list the current prices because they might change when you read this but you can call the office at 972-454-5000 and ask them. If you want to take a look at some of the floor plans or to see some pictures from the campus visit
http://www.utdallas.edu/student/slife/res.html

Conclusion: I think staying in the Waterview apartments is really great especially if you are new, don't have a car and like quiet and civilized neighbors

微凉的晨露 沾湿黑礼服 石板路有雾 父在低诉
无奈的觉悟 只能更残酷 一切都为了 通往圣堂的路
吹不散的雾 隐没了意图 谁轻柔踱步 停住
还来不及哭 穿过的子弹 就带走 温度
我们每个人都有罪 犯着不同的罪
我能决定谁对 谁又该要沉睡
争论不能解决 在永无止境的夜
关掉你的嘴 唯一的恩惠
挡在前面的人都有罪 后悔也无路可退
以父之名判决 那感觉没有适合字
就像边笑边掉泪 凝视着完全的黑
阻挡悲剧蔓延的悲剧会让我沉醉

使用道具 举报

声望
寄托币
注册时间
2005-9-25
精华
帖子

Golden Apple

地板
发表于 2006-4-4 09:14:43 |只看该作者
Getting better, but the police ruin everything!
Mar 26 '00 (Updated May 05 '00)

Author's Product Rating

Pros
Can be fun if you make good friends!

Cons
Don't expect to be partying on campus much, unless it's in your own apt. behind closed doors.

Full Review
Let me begin by saying that UTD is a great place to learn. The classes are small when compared with other UT system schools, the facilities are relatively nice, and the school is growing very fast. Of course there is a Student Union for games (pool, tt, chess), studying, eating, etc. And there is a brand spanking new Activities Center where students converge to work out, play b-ball, squash, handball, or swim.
These 2 things, the union and the activities center, are however the ONLY places that a social life exists on campus(there is no pub or coffee shop on campus...the student government tried this and got shot down). Then, there are the adjacent apartments called "Waterview Park." Although you can meet people if you try really hard, the problem is that people tend to stay indoor most of the time for fear of the OUTRAGEOUS,POWER HUNGRY, AND HARASSING CAMPUS POLICE.
At other schools, you might see people having parties, chilling on balconies, turning up the tunes now and then (at the campus apts.) but at UTD most people who have been pulled over by the cops know that to push their freedoms at the apts. means taking the chance that the cops will pay you a visit. And they are not nice cops. In fact, the Mercury, UTD's horrid student newspaper, usually prints up a police blotter every week to detail the "law enforcement" efforts of the previous week. It is not unusual to see stuff like student arrested for "Illegal left turn." You think I'm joking but I'm not. Check out last weeks paper and you'll see what I mean. A cop threatened to arrest my roommate for accidentally chaining his bike to a lamp post (mind you, there was no sign forbidding this).
All this is to say that if your idea of a good social life means hanging out by the pool with a beer, or throwing a rager every now and then, you'd better be prepared to deal with johnny lawdog. I can sit on my balcony and count at least 2 police cars in the area at any given time, and the cops patrol the apts. on foot and bicycle as well. I don't break the law, but these guys make me feel like I'm already in prison. Of course, some people really like cops. If this is you, then check out this school. If your really looking for a more robust social life (and the entire college experience) I'd suggest you check out UNT in Denton, or UT Arlington.

It is also important to realize that UTD has lots of non-traditional commuter students as well as a high population of international and graduate students. This overall mix (although diverse) lends to a very segmented, and sometimes depressing social life.

微凉的晨露 沾湿黑礼服 石板路有雾 父在低诉
无奈的觉悟 只能更残酷 一切都为了 通往圣堂的路
吹不散的雾 隐没了意图 谁轻柔踱步 停住
还来不及哭 穿过的子弹 就带走 温度
我们每个人都有罪 犯着不同的罪
我能决定谁对 谁又该要沉睡
争论不能解决 在永无止境的夜
关掉你的嘴 唯一的恩惠
挡在前面的人都有罪 后悔也无路可退
以父之名判决 那感觉没有适合字
就像边笑边掉泪 凝视着完全的黑
阻挡悲剧蔓延的悲剧会让我沉醉

使用道具 举报

声望
寄托币
注册时间
2005-9-25
精华
帖子

Golden Apple

发表于 2006-4-4 09:15:18 |只看该作者
Education yes, Exciting no
Apr 13 '00

Author's Product Rating

Pros
many excellent teachers, nice learning environment

Cons
no student unity, not a lot of extracurriculums.

Full Review
University of Texas at Dallas is an excellent school if you are looking for a serious education in any science or business field. But, if you're looking for a school that will have lots of activities and student involvement, then don't turn the cheek this way.

I am currently a sophmore at UTD and everything is going okay. The level of education here is tremendous. Base on average scores requirements, UTD is the second hardest school to get into in Texas under Rice University. That speaks a lot for UTD. We have one of the best Odessy of the Mind team and also a very good chess team. They rank in the upper ten percent in the nation. The debate team isn't so bad as well.

But overall, the atmosphere at UTD isn't really much of a college campus where students can mingle. Instead of having dorms, we have actuall apartments belonging to Waterview and not UTD. There aren't really many extracuricular activities for students to participate in. They have intermural sports, but you have to be a student to be involve. They don't really promote it either. You just sign up and pick people for your teams. The sports they offer are basketball, volleyball, flag football, indoor soccer, and tennis. That's basically it.

Overall, UTD is a good learning experience. The teacher are extremely educated and push the students to be able to reach their full potential. But if you're looking for a campus to have fun with other students and do many exciting things, then this will probably not be the school for you.

微凉的晨露 沾湿黑礼服 石板路有雾 父在低诉
无奈的觉悟 只能更残酷 一切都为了 通往圣堂的路
吹不散的雾 隐没了意图 谁轻柔踱步 停住
还来不及哭 穿过的子弹 就带走 温度
我们每个人都有罪 犯着不同的罪
我能决定谁对 谁又该要沉睡
争论不能解决 在永无止境的夜
关掉你的嘴 唯一的恩惠
挡在前面的人都有罪 后悔也无路可退
以父之名判决 那感觉没有适合字
就像边笑边掉泪 凝视着完全的黑
阻挡悲剧蔓延的悲剧会让我沉醉

使用道具 举报

声望
寄托币
注册时间
2005-9-25
精华
帖子

Golden Apple

发表于 2006-4-4 09:16:03 |只看该作者
University that service the community
Feb 03 '00

Author's Product Rating

Pros
Assist students in their needs

Cons
Room numbering needs improving

Full Review
The University of Texas at Dallas ranks at the top with other campuses that I have visited in the United States as well as those in other countries. I am a student in the Teaching Certification Department. The program that I am currently enrolled in provides the requirements for those who have completed a Bachelor degree to obtain the requirements to Teach in Junior and High Schools in the State of Texas.

I have found the personnel in the Education department to be very helpful in assisting students in determining the requirements they need to obtain this certification. The Professors are highly educated in their fields and provide the essential requirements to complete the courses required.

The grounds are maintained with adequate parking available, which is reasonably priced depending on the distance you want to walk from the parking lot to the classroom area.

The library has extended hours to accommodate the students who wish to study late into the morning hours. They computer lab located in the library is provides the Internet to the students for accessing information on the Internet highway. The network of resources of other libraries is quick in sending the information that is request to the campus.

The largest problem that students encounter is finding their classroom once they arrive in the building where their class is held. If there is a system for the room sequence at Jonsson Hall, I have not been able to find it yet. Even the custodians have a difficult time guiding students to their classrooms when approached.

Students seem happy with the opportunity they have for a chance to obtain this education to be able to change their carrier field. This is a modern university and well equipped for the education they provide.

The student's have a recreation area when there are no classes and they need a place to just chill out. Students are highly motivated and the moral seems high. There are many different nationalities that attend. There always seems to be something going on to keeps the students busy.

While there is no on campus housing, there are rental units available for the students a reasonable price.

微凉的晨露 沾湿黑礼服 石板路有雾 父在低诉
无奈的觉悟 只能更残酷 一切都为了 通往圣堂的路
吹不散的雾 隐没了意图 谁轻柔踱步 停住
还来不及哭 穿过的子弹 就带走 温度
我们每个人都有罪 犯着不同的罪
我能决定谁对 谁又该要沉睡
争论不能解决 在永无止境的夜
关掉你的嘴 唯一的恩惠
挡在前面的人都有罪 后悔也无路可退
以父之名判决 那感觉没有适合字
就像边笑边掉泪 凝视着完全的黑
阻挡悲剧蔓延的悲剧会让我沉醉

使用道具 举报

声望
寄托币
注册时间
2005-9-25
精华
帖子

Golden Apple

发表于 2006-4-4 09:16:54 |只看该作者
For the Ex-Military
Feb 04 '00

Author's Product Rating

Pros
Helpful, Courtesy

Cons
Slow sometimes, Oversights in paperwork

Full Review
I am retired military and elected to attend UTD to obtain my teaching certificate so I would be able to teach in High School. Because I had already used my GI bill to complete my Masters Degree I was unsure if the veterans administration would continue to pay for undergraduate classes. The VA representative was helpful in advising that the VA would pay me while I went to school at UTD.

So I did apply and am currently being paid to attend the classes for my Teaching Certificate. However, this approval took four months to be approved and the representative did not prove to be helpful in keeping up with what was going on with the paperwork. He is not in his office very often and does not return calls. So if you have the GI bill and think that you can not continue after you finish your Masters unless you go for your doctrine then check out the UTD to continue your education.

Before you can enroll in a program you have to be accepted by the school and this is a very simple procedure. Just to be able to collect the $30.00 enrollment fee and then have your transcripts sent to the school. This needs to be done before school starts or you will have to wait till all present students sign up for their classes before you are allowed to sign up for them. My first term I was not able to take one course because it was already full when I could enroll.

The school requires a transcript for all your degrees when you enroll but they let you continue while it is in the progress as a probation student. They still had me on probation to start the second semester because they did not change my information when it arrived. This was resolved in a matter of minutes.

There are other sources of student financing, which I am not familiar with but I am sure they are compatible to other schools. They have online enrollment so it is easy to enroll. Plus all the personnel in the administration always seem helpful.

微凉的晨露 沾湿黑礼服 石板路有雾 父在低诉
无奈的觉悟 只能更残酷 一切都为了 通往圣堂的路
吹不散的雾 隐没了意图 谁轻柔踱步 停住
还来不及哭 穿过的子弹 就带走 温度
我们每个人都有罪 犯着不同的罪
我能决定谁对 谁又该要沉睡
争论不能解决 在永无止境的夜
关掉你的嘴 唯一的恩惠
挡在前面的人都有罪 后悔也无路可退
以父之名判决 那感觉没有适合字
就像边笑边掉泪 凝视着完全的黑
阻挡悲剧蔓延的悲剧会让我沉醉

使用道具 举报

声望
寄托币
注册时间
2005-9-25
精华
帖子

Golden Apple

发表于 2006-4-4 09:17:28 |只看该作者
The University of Texas at Dallas Distance Learning
Feb 08 '00

Author's Product Rating

Pros
Solid academic program, excellent instructors

Cons
Internet's not for everyone

Full Review
UTD-- Dallas Distance Learning
Looking for a good Distance Learning Program (DLP) from an accredited institution? I have just the one to recommend. You can obtain an MA or MBA from the University of Texas at Dallas. This online program was designed to meet the needs of students who couldn?t commit to regular campus classroom study, but still wanted to pursue a Masters degree. For example, if your job requires extensive travel, no worry. You can connect to the program through your personal computer and phone. Students can live in or outside the UTD geographic area, it doesn?t matter. Tough work schedule, no worry. Issues such as these become nonevents when enrolled in the online program. You attend classes right from your home PC.

UTD began offering the Global MBA Online program in 1999. As a current student, I believe the online program is excellent. The program is based out of UTD?s School of Management. I?m currently enrolled in the Masters in International Management Studies (MIMS). The program emphasizes Globalization and The Information Age, which marries two of UTD?s strongest academic areas. The program uses Internet technologies along with standard academic expectations. Students participate in teleconferences, use email to correspond, and take exams on their computers. Instructors are very accessible. Teaming is utilized so students can work with other students as needed. UTD is known for their excellence in graduate education. I would fully recommend this program to others. Thanks! Gladeo

微凉的晨露 沾湿黑礼服 石板路有雾 父在低诉
无奈的觉悟 只能更残酷 一切都为了 通往圣堂的路
吹不散的雾 隐没了意图 谁轻柔踱步 停住
还来不及哭 穿过的子弹 就带走 温度
我们每个人都有罪 犯着不同的罪
我能决定谁对 谁又该要沉睡
争论不能解决 在永无止境的夜
关掉你的嘴 唯一的恩惠
挡在前面的人都有罪 后悔也无路可退
以父之名判决 那感觉没有适合字
就像边笑边掉泪 凝视着完全的黑
阻挡悲剧蔓延的悲剧会让我沉醉

使用道具 举报

声望
寄托币
注册时间
2005-5-25
精华
帖子
发表于 2006-4-4 09:17:37 |只看该作者
很有潜力的学校

使用道具 举报

声望
寄托币
注册时间
2005-9-25
精华
帖子

Golden Apple

发表于 2006-4-4 09:18:01 |只看该作者
Better than a dorm
Apr 17 '00

Author's Product Rating

Pros
Definitely better than a dorm

Cons
Walk to campus can be longer than for some dorms, less sense of community

Full Review
The campus housing is apartment-style, not dormitory style. However, although the apartments are not managed by the University, only full-time students may live in the apartments. The sense of community is nowhere near as strong as dormitory living. Most of the apartments are expected to be filled by roommates - sometimes two to a room. Even then, few college dormitories can offer so much space for each person. The grounds are adequately maintained, with pools, a sand volleyball court and a basketball court. The apartments are at most a 10-minute walk to campus, but the nearest grocery store is more than a 20-minute walk. It is certainly possible to live on campus without the use of a car, which is surprising in Dallas.

The cost of the housing is slightly higher than comparable apartment housing in the area. However, most of the apartment housing in the immediate area is more expensive and of far better quality. However, there are no other apartments less than a 20 minute walk from campus

微凉的晨露 沾湿黑礼服 石板路有雾 父在低诉
无奈的觉悟 只能更残酷 一切都为了 通往圣堂的路
吹不散的雾 隐没了意图 谁轻柔踱步 停住
还来不及哭 穿过的子弹 就带走 温度
我们每个人都有罪 犯着不同的罪
我能决定谁对 谁又该要沉睡
争论不能解决 在永无止境的夜
关掉你的嘴 唯一的恩惠
挡在前面的人都有罪 后悔也无路可退
以父之名判决 那感觉没有适合字
就像边笑边掉泪 凝视着完全的黑
阻挡悲剧蔓延的悲剧会让我沉醉

使用道具 举报

声望
寄托币
注册时间
2005-9-25
精华
帖子

Golden Apple

发表于 2006-4-4 09:18:42 |只看该作者
Diploma Mill
Jul 21 '00

Author's Product Rating

Pros
Convenient

Cons
no reputation nor plans to get one

Full Review
UTD aka the University of Floyd Road is all right I guess. The school started out as an grad school only, so I think if you are looking to get a masters degree in the evening, it is a good a place as any. I picked UTD as opposed to UTA or UNT because it was close to work.

You are pretty much on your own here - it is not user friendly and the infrequent run-ins I had with the staff were pretty much unpleasant. The library workers are sullen and know very little about the library. The computers in the labs are either being used or are broken (hint: find out where your departmental computer lab is and use that one exclusively) and the building numbering system is flat out incomprehensible (you'll see what I mean)

I got zero help from the school as far as finding a job or hooking up with UTD alumni. I even asked someone in alumni relations if they had a directory of former students, and she laughed at me.

So go here if you must - get your MBA, and move on. And throw away the alumni contribution letters in the mail when they start arriving.

Oh, I guess I should mention the quality of my education - actually, surprisingly good. My professors were all pretty bright and were mostly from name brand schools - even had one on loan from Harvard.

微凉的晨露 沾湿黑礼服 石板路有雾 父在低诉
无奈的觉悟 只能更残酷 一切都为了 通往圣堂的路
吹不散的雾 隐没了意图 谁轻柔踱步 停住
还来不及哭 穿过的子弹 就带走 温度
我们每个人都有罪 犯着不同的罪
我能决定谁对 谁又该要沉睡
争论不能解决 在永无止境的夜
关掉你的嘴 唯一的恩惠
挡在前面的人都有罪 后悔也无路可退
以父之名判决 那感觉没有适合字
就像边笑边掉泪 凝视着完全的黑
阻挡悲剧蔓延的悲剧会让我沉醉

使用道具 举报

声望
寄托币
注册时间
2005-9-25
精华
帖子

Golden Apple

发表于 2006-4-4 09:19:18 |只看该作者
Wacky Scholarships
Feb 08 '00

Author's Product Rating

Pros
many large scholarships are given out

Cons
based only on SAT scores (in my opinion)

Full Review
I was very pleased myself at the scholarships given here at UTD. In high school, I made a 1320 on the SAT and merely applied for enrollment. Next thing I know I get a scholarship notice in the mail and then an upgrade of that scholarship the next. I have full tuition for four years plus reduced price apartment living. Many of my friends and I have gotten money refunded to us from our respective scholarships.
While I am pleased with the system, I know other friends who are thinking of coming to UTDallas next year who have not received the same kind of welcoming that I have. Their SAT scores may have been 50-100 pts less but they were definitely more active and harder working students in high school than I was. I don't understand financial aid office's decisions but have guessed that the only thing they look at is SAT scores. This is only one test that UTD says could make or break your whole future.
I know that UTAustin gives even less scholarship awards than UTDallas so I really should not be complaining. Not only that, but the cost of living, tuition, fees, and food are less expensive here than at UTAustin

微凉的晨露 沾湿黑礼服 石板路有雾 父在低诉
无奈的觉悟 只能更残酷 一切都为了 通往圣堂的路
吹不散的雾 隐没了意图 谁轻柔踱步 停住
还来不及哭 穿过的子弹 就带走 温度
我们每个人都有罪 犯着不同的罪
我能决定谁对 谁又该要沉睡
争论不能解决 在永无止境的夜
关掉你的嘴 唯一的恩惠
挡在前面的人都有罪 后悔也无路可退
以父之名判决 那感觉没有适合字
就像边笑边掉泪 凝视着完全的黑
阻挡悲剧蔓延的悲剧会让我沉醉

使用道具 举报

声望
寄托币
注册时间
2005-9-25
精华
帖子

Golden Apple

发表于 2006-4-4 09:19:52 |只看该作者
Extensive visit to UTD
Apr 23 '00

Author's Product Rating

Pros
Easy-going, small school that is great for those who'd like to transfer later.

Cons
The school lacked from saying, "You belong here!" and rather said, "This is what college life is." Both are good, but, any school should encourage its attendance more.

Full Review
My first visit to UTD was on a school photography field trip to observe the works of Ansel Adams chosen to be displayed at one of the arts buildings on campus. I was in awe of the exhibit, not only because of the content, but because of the atmosphere of the college for its location. My second visit to UTD was as well for a photography assignment where I had to observe the campus' art gallery and its works. The building was somewhat difficult to find, but the few students that I stopped to question were quite friendly and very helpful. I had applied to the university not actually realizing that it could very well be the school I could, should, or would attend. I became extremely excited, however, when I received my letter of acceptance; and then also became very interested in their "Scholars Weekend" program. This of which I attended where I got to meet several other people anxious to learn about UTD and campus life. The staff and students who put together this program were absolutely wonderful about being friendly and helpful. I, as well as others, were opened up to all the possibilities available by the school's opportunities and were provided with as many answers as there were questions. I have based my choice on going to UTD on my circumstances; I am quite unsure of what I want to do exactly as far as a major is concerned, and so I have decided to go to a great school to help me make those decisions. The campus is quaint, very pleasant, and in a wonderful city.

微凉的晨露 沾湿黑礼服 石板路有雾 父在低诉
无奈的觉悟 只能更残酷 一切都为了 通往圣堂的路
吹不散的雾 隐没了意图 谁轻柔踱步 停住
还来不及哭 穿过的子弹 就带走 温度
我们每个人都有罪 犯着不同的罪
我能决定谁对 谁又该要沉睡
争论不能解决 在永无止境的夜
关掉你的嘴 唯一的恩惠
挡在前面的人都有罪 后悔也无路可退
以父之名判决 那感觉没有适合字
就像边笑边掉泪 凝视着完全的黑
阻挡悲剧蔓延的悲剧会让我沉醉

使用道具 举报

声望
寄托币
注册时间
2005-9-25
精华
帖子

Golden Apple

发表于 2006-4-4 09:24:29 |只看该作者
全部为转贴

微凉的晨露 沾湿黑礼服 石板路有雾 父在低诉
无奈的觉悟 只能更残酷 一切都为了 通往圣堂的路
吹不散的雾 隐没了意图 谁轻柔踱步 停住
还来不及哭 穿过的子弹 就带走 温度
我们每个人都有罪 犯着不同的罪
我能决定谁对 谁又该要沉睡
争论不能解决 在永无止境的夜
关掉你的嘴 唯一的恩惠
挡在前面的人都有罪 后悔也无路可退
以父之名判决 那感觉没有适合字
就像边笑边掉泪 凝视着完全的黑
阻挡悲剧蔓延的悲剧会让我沉醉

使用道具 举报

声望
寄托币
注册时间
2005-9-25
精华
帖子

Golden Apple

发表于 2006-4-4 09:39:22 |只看该作者
关于University of Texas at El Paso
The University of Texas at El Paso has decent academics, but I believe the quality of life at the school is poor.  The school spends too much of their time and money on “improving” the campus but there is little or no positive effects on the students.  The departments don't communicate well with each other or with students, many times they will make a mistake on a student's records and won't inform the student.  The school is too bureaucratic and not student friendly.  If you decide to attend this university, keep in mind that:
->It has one of the lowest tuitions in the state of Texas, despite a recent increase (of 20% to 28%).

->The academics are good.

->Nice dorms.

->Professors are friendly and approachable.

->There is a (very) high number of international students because of its proximity to the border.

->Students are unapproachable and “clicky".

->Be prepared to have conflicts with the staff (student services, financial aid, cashiers, etc.)

->Terrible (sorry) football team.

->Not a lot of student organizations to join.

->Beautiful architecture on the campus building but no trees (its practically the middle of the desert.)

->A lot of military people.

->A lot of older students.

->(Maybe its bad to mention this) Being so close to the border, a 10 minute drive form campus will take you into Mexico where you can party at the clubs where the legal drinking age is 18.

微凉的晨露 沾湿黑礼服 石板路有雾 父在低诉
无奈的觉悟 只能更残酷 一切都为了 通往圣堂的路
吹不散的雾 隐没了意图 谁轻柔踱步 停住
还来不及哭 穿过的子弹 就带走 温度
我们每个人都有罪 犯着不同的罪
我能决定谁对 谁又该要沉睡
争论不能解决 在永无止境的夜
关掉你的嘴 唯一的恩惠
挡在前面的人都有罪 后悔也无路可退
以父之名判决 那感觉没有适合字
就像边笑边掉泪 凝视着完全的黑
阻挡悲剧蔓延的悲剧会让我沉醉