寄托币
注册时间
2007-2-22
精华
帖子
跳转到指定楼层
楼主
发表于 2007-4-8 16:26:35 |只看该作者 |倒序浏览
TOPIC: ISSUE41 - "Such nonmainstream areas of inquiry as astrology, fortune-telling, and psychic and paranormal pursuits play a vital role in society by satisfying human needs that are not addressed by mainstream science."
WORDS: 542          TIME: 1:24:47          DATE: 2007-4-8

Before analyzing the influence of these nonmainstream areas to present human society, I would like to view the history of this problem. As is known to all, scientific rules was established no early than 17th century, before which no sense of science existed in human society, not to say science being mainstream. In the history of civilization, science has just existed for the last 300~400 years and been mainstream for the last 200 years, while astrology, fortune-telling and psychic and paranormal pursuits has existed during the whole history and became nonmainstream just a couple of centuries ago.

Why had these areas been mainstream for such a long time? In my opinion, that's due to human nature of treating curiosity. As humans have the nature of inquirying everything they have contacted, they are eager to have explanations. However, once an explanation is given, even if it's a superficial one, people would accept it if the explanation "makes sense", for most situations, intuitively. That's exactly what astrology, fortune-telling and psychic and paranormal puruits do: giving explanations coherant to human intuitions.

But unfortunately, or tragedically, another human exists: once people accept an explanation, most of them would have no further interest to look into the original problem any more: they just pass the explanation one by one, generation by generation. Only a few elites, who, of course, may not be recognized as elites by others, would have the interest of examining it. And even fewer would have their opinions accepted since religious force, political reasons, etc. That's the main reason the birth of science has been so late.

However, even science has taken mainstream position, such areas still play a role as well. Due to the strong restriction on definitions of science, a lot of phenomenons can't be explained by science yet. But PEOPLE NEED AN ANSWER. If science couldn't give it, or it couldn't be understood intuitively, people would then turn to these nonmainstream for it. That's why I agree such nonmainstream areas still play a vital role in society.

However, the role could do harm to the development of human society due to the second nature cited above. They would confuse people's thoughts, especially in the society of which the scientific idea were still weak. Taking Falungong in China as an example. Though some westerners shows sympathy to their political position, I strongly support the government of expelling this organzation. They spread the idea that a person getting sick is because he has unprayed sins. Thus he or she should overtake the pain of sickness as a form of praying for forgiveness. Admittedly, such ideas makes sense, even more believable since people have been feeling sinned constantly. But it's against the basic law of science. Numerous believers has been suffering sicknesses and a lot of them died due to their stubborn mind of the explanation Falungong gave them. That's terrible, as I see it.

In all, the statement on mentioned nonmainstream areas stands in my opinion, historically or presently. However, the vital role they played could be fatal as well. But what could be expected, with the development of science, they wouldn't be as important as presently, just like they used to be mainstreams. For present, human have to overtake the situation unfortunately.
回应

使用道具 举报

声望
寄托币
注册时间
2007-2-25
精华
帖子
沙发
发表于 2007-4-9 13:47:15 |只看该作者
Before analyzing the influence of these nonmainstream areas to present human society, I would like to view the history of this problem. As is known to all, scientific rules was established no early than 17th century, before which no sense of science existed in human society, not to say science being mainstream. In the history of civilization, science has just existed for the last 300~400 years and been mainstream for the last 200 years, while astrology, fortune-telling and psychic and paranormal pursuits has existed during the whole history and became nonmainstream just a couple of centuries ago.

Why had these areas been mainstream for such a long time? In my opinion, that's due to human nature of treating curiosity.(这句话读起来有点奇怪) As humans have the nature of inquirying everything they have contacted, they are eager to have explanations. However, once an explanation is given, even if it's a superficial one, people would accept it if the explanation "makes sense", for most situations, intuitively. That's exactly what astrology, fortune-telling and psychic and paranormal puruits(pursuit) do(do是不是有点多余了?): giving explanations coherant to human intuitions.

But unfortunately, or tragedically, another human exists: once people accept an explanation, most of them would have no further interest to look into the original problem any more: they just pass the explanation one by one, generation by generation. Only a few elites, who, of course, may not be recognized as elites by others, would have the interest of examining it. And even fewer would have their opinions accepted since religious force, political reasons, etc. That's the main reason why the birth of science has been(我不确定这个时态在这里是不是有问题) so late.(感觉这一段有点偏题了,和上下都没什么关系,不过看到后来发现还是有关系的,建议这个地方斟酌一下)

However, even science has taken mainstream position, such areas still play a role as well. Due to the strong restriction on definitions of science, a lot of phenomenons(确定要加s么?) can't be explained by science yet. But PEOPLE NEED AN ANSWER. If science couldn't give it, or it couldn't be understood intuitively, people would then turn to these nonmainstream for it.(别扭,但是仔细看看没什么问题) That's why I agree such nonmainstream areas still play a vital role in society.

However, the role could(换成may会不会好一点) do harm to the development of human society due to the second nature cited above. They would confuse people's thoughts, especially in the society of which the scientific idea were still weak. Taking Falungong in China as an example. Though some westerners shows sympathy to their political position, I strongly support the government of expelling this organzation. They spread the idea that a person getting sick is because he has unprayed sins. Thus he or she should overtake the pain of sickness as(as可以这样用么?不确定) a form of praying for forgiveness. Admittedly, such ideas makes sense, even more believable since people have been feeling sinned constantly. But it's against the basic law of science. Numerous believers has been suffering sicknesses and a lot of them died due to their stubborn mind of(in?) the explanation Falungong gave them. That's terrible, as I see it.

In all, the statement on mentioned nonmainstream areas stands in my opinion, historically or presently. However, the vital role they played could be fatal as well. But what could be expected, with the development of science, they wouldn't be as important as presently, just like they used to be mainstreams. For present, human have to overtake the situation unfortunately.

恩,基本上观点还是明确的,但是结构还要推敲一下,特别是第3段,感觉和上下没什么关系,看到第5段才看出那段的用意,其他没什么大的问题吧,请继续加油哦~

使用道具 举报

RE: Issue41 CLVolkov 4月作文小组第15次作业 [修改]
您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 立即注册

问答
Offer
投票
面经
最新
精华
转发
转发该帖子