2002-8-15
精华
帖子

荣誉版主

楼主
发表于 2003-10-4 22:12:31 |只看该作者

写ps的建议[分享]

翻译自普度大学网站

ps是一个在申请中你可以推销自己的过程,一般它可以分为两类:一类是一般性综合性个人称述,你将拥有写些什么的很大自由,这种ps是为申请表格而准备的。另为一类是针对特别问题的答案,一些学校申请要求问一些具体的问题,你的ps应该具体回答所问的问题。一些商学院喜欢回答三个或更多问题的文章。
写之前需要问你自己的问题:
1、你或者你的生活经历中,有什么特别、独特或特别打动人的情况?
2、有什么生活细节(如个人或家庭问题、历史,形成或者影响你的人或者事)可以帮助录取委员会更好的理解你,帮你从众多申请者之中被区分出来?
3、对你要申请的领域你是什么时间开始感兴趣的,关于它或者你自己你知道些什么,更加激起了你的兴趣并使你更加相信自己适合该领域?对该领域你还有些什么深入了解?
4、你怎么了解该领域的——通过上课,阅读,研讨会,工作或其他经验?还是和某位已经进入该领域的人的谈话?
5、如果你在学习期间已经工作,你学到了些什么(例如领导能力、管理技巧)?这个工作怎样促进你的成长?
6、你的职业目标是什么?
7、你的学术成绩中有一些需要解释的差距或矛盾吗?(例如有很高的gpa但很一般的last或gre分数,或者有一个开始只是一般,后来特别呈上升趋势的的gpa?)
8、有什么你需要克服的特别的障碍或者困难吗(eg.家庭的、经济的、身体上的)
9、有什么个人性格可能促进你事业的成功吗?(eg.正直、热情、坚韧)有什么方法可以展示或证明记录它吗?
10、你有什么技能吗(eg.领导能力、交流能力、分析能力)
11、为什么你是研究生院的强有力竞争者?为什么你是比其他申请者将更成功更有效?
12、让录取委员会对你感兴趣的最有力的原因有哪些?

一般性建议
回答所问的问题
1、        如果你同时申请几所学校,你可能发现每个申请中要求的问题有些相似。
2、        不要尝试在所有的申请中采用相同的ps。回答每个所问的问题非常重要,如果答案要求有一点点轻微的不同,你也应该写出不同的回答。每次,都要保证你的答案与其所问相互匹配。

说故事
1、        试着通过具体的经历来表明和展示。使录取委员会厌烦是最糟糕的事情之一。如果的ps清新、生动、与众不同,这样的话你就可能处于领先其他申请者的地位。如果你通过你的故事使自己不同,你就使自己让人记忆深刻。

具体化
1、        例如,除非你可以用具体的原因来支持的话,就不要说你会是一个好医生。你希望成为律师工程师或其他什么的愿望应该是有逻辑性的,或者是你在ps中描述的具体经历带来的结果。你的申请应当成为你的故事的有逻辑性的总结。

找到一个视角
如果你的故事没什么不同,缺乏戏剧性,那么就找出一条使得它有趣的方式。

注意你的开头段
开头段一般来说最是重要。在这里你抓住了读者的兴趣或者失去了它。这一段是ps其余部分的一个框架。

说你知道的东西:
你文章的中间部分可能详述你在该领域的兴趣和经历,也包括你在该领域的知识。有很多人对于想进入的领域知之甚少。尽量详细的称述你对于该领域的所知,并使用专业术语来传递这个信息。可以提到经历(包括工作和研究的)课程、和该领域的人的对话,你所读的书,你藏家的研讨会或其他能具体表明你想读的领域的知识,和你适合该领域学习的原因。因为你不得不选择你在ps中的内容,你选择的内容也将是你判断力的标准。

不要提的一些话题
有一些在ps中最好不要提的话题,例如,一些在中学或更早时期的经历成就。也不要提一些可能非常有争议的话题,例如宗教或者政治问题。

如果需要,做一些研究
如果学校想知道你为什么申请它而不是另外一个,就做一些关于你选择该学校的原因的研究。如果学校环境有地理上或者文化上的变化,也许对你来说这都值得一提。

书写正确良好
要非常仔细。非常认真的写并且改正文章。一些录取官员说,好的书写技巧或者语言修改技巧在他们读这些文章的时候也非常重要。清晰简洁的表达你自己,严格遵守字数限制。

避免陈词滥调
一个写自己科学知识良好,希望帮助他人通常没有表达出一个有创意的思想。不要使用经常重复过烂的表达。

一些成功ps的样本
Some examples of successful statements
Statement #1
My interest in science dates back to my years in high school, where I excelled in physics, chemistry, and math. When I was a senior, I took a first-year calculus course at a local college (such an advanced-level class was not available in high school) and earned an A. It seemed only logical that I pursue a career in electrical engineering.
When I began my undergraduate career, I had the opportunity to be exposed to the full range of engineering courses, all of which tended to reinforce and solidify my intense interest in engineering. I've also had the opportunity to study a number of subjects in the humanities and they have been both enjoyable and enlightening, providing me with a new and different perspective on the world in which we live.
In the realm of engineering, I have developed a special interest in the field of laser technology and have even been taking a graduate course in quantum electronics. Among the 25 or so students in the course, I am the sole undergraduate ate. Another particular interest of mine is electromagnetics, and last summer, when I was a technical assistant at a world-famous local lab, I learned about its many practical applications, especially in relation to microstrip and antenna design. Management at this lab was sufficiently impressed with my work to ask that I return when I graduate. Of course, my plans following completion of my current studies are to move directly into graduate work toward my master's in science. After I earn my master's degree, I intend to start work on my Ph.D. in electrical engineering. Later I would like to work in the area of research and development for private industry. It is in R & D that I believe I can make the greatest contribution, utilizing my theoretical background and creativity as a scientist.
I am highly aware of the superb reputation of your school, and my conversations with several of your alumni have served to deepen my interest in attending. I know that, in addition to your excellent faculty, your computer facilities are among the best in the state. I hope you will give me the privilege of continuing my studies at your fine institution.
(Stelzer pp. 38-39)
Statement #2
Having majored in literary studies (world literature) as an undergraduate, I would now like to concentrate on English and American literature.
I am especially interested in nineteenth-century literature, women's literature, Anglo-Saxon poetry, and folklore and folk literature. My personal literary projects have involved some combination of these subjects. For the oral section of my comprehensive exams, I specialized in nineteenth century novels by and about women. The relation ship between "high" and folk literature became the subject for my honors essay, which examined Toni Morrison's use of classical, biblical, African, and Afro-American folk tradition in her novel. I plan to work further on this essay, treating Morrison's other novels and perhaps preparing a paper suitable for publication.
In my studies toward a doctoral degree, I hope to examine more closely the relationship between high and folk literature. My junior year and private studies of Anglo-Saxon language and literature have caused me to consider the question of where the divisions between folklore, folk literature, and high literature lie. Should I attend your school, I would like to resume my studies of Anglo-Saxon poetry, with special attention to its folk elements.
Writing poetry also figures prominently in my academic and professional goals. I have just begun submitting to the smaller journals with some success and am gradually building a working manuscript for a collection. The dominant theme of this collection relies on poems that draw from classical, biblical, and folk traditions, as well as everyday experience, in order to celebrate the process of giving and taking life, whether literal or figurative. My poetry draws from and influences my academic studies. Much of what I read and study finds a place in my creative work as subject. At the same time, I study the art of literature by taking part in the creative process, experimenting with the tools used by other authors in the past.
In terms of a career, I see myself teaching literature, writing criticism, and going into editing or publishing poetry. Doctoral studies would be valuable to me in several ways. First, your teaching assistant ship program would provide me with the practical teaching experience I am eager to acquire. Further, earning a Ph.D. in English and American literature would advance my other two career goals by adding to my skills, both critical and creative, in working with language. Ultimately, however, I see the Ph.D. as an end in itself, as well as a professional stepping stone; I enjoy studying literature for its own sake and would like to continue my studies on the level demanded by the Ph.D. program.
(Stelzer pp. 40-41)

使用道具 举报

声望
寄托币
注册时间
2001-9-3
精华
帖子

Aries白羊座 荣誉版主

沙发
发表于 2003-10-5 12:55:02 |只看该作者
感谢分享!
UA
我说人生哪,如果赏过一回痛哭淋漓的风景,写一篇杜鹃啼血的文章,与一个赏心悦目的人错肩,也就够了。不要收藏美、钤印美,让美随风而逝。生命最清醉的时候,是将万里长江视为一匹白绢,裂帛。(简桢)

使用道具 举报

声望
寄托币
注册时间
2002-1-10
精华
帖子
板凳
发表于 2003-10-5 13:30:08 |只看该作者
和新东方的那些差不多
如果一句誓言能让人感动一生 这是否就意味着一种永恒
如果一生守候一个不爱你的人 这到底是傻还是真