寄托币
注册时间
2009-11-3
精华
帖子
发表于 2009-12-7 22:44:13 |只看该作者
第十七讲 commas
Comma Use

1. Usecommas to separate independent clauses when they are joined by any of theseseven coordinating conjunctions: and, but, for, or, nor,so, yet.
2. usecommas after introductory a) clauses, b) phrases, or c) words that come beforethe main clause.
Incorrect: She waslate for class, because her alarm clock was broken.
Incorrect:The cat scratched at the door, while I was eating.

Correct: She was still quite upset, although she had won the Oscar.(this comma use is correct because it is an example of extreme contrast)

5. Usecommas to separate three or more words, phrases, or clauses written in aseries.

6. Usecommas to separate two or more coordinate adjectives that describe the samenoun.
The 1) relentless, 2) powerful 3) summer sun beat down on them. (1-2 arecoordinate; 2-3 are non-coordinate.)
The 1) relentless, 2) powerful, 3) oppressive sun beatdown on them. (Both 1-2 and 2-3 are coordinate.)

11. Usecommas wherever necessary to prevent possible confusion or misreading.
To George,Harrisonhad been a sort of idol.

13. Don't put a comma between the two verbs orverb phrases in a compound predicate.
Incorrect:We laid out our music and snacks, and began to study.
Incorrect:I turned the corner, and ran smack into a patrol car.

15. Don't put a comma after the main clausewhen a dependent (subordinate) clause follows it (except for cases of extremecontrast).
Incorrect(extreme contrast):She was late forclass, because her alarm clock was broken. (incorrect)
Incorrect:She was still quite upset, although she had won the Oscar.

Commas AfterIntroductions

Introductory clauses start with adverbs like after, although, as, because, before, if,since, though, until, when, etc.

When to Use a Comma

Introductory elements often require a comma, but notalways. Use a comma in the following cases:
·After an introductory clause. (Does the introductory element have a subject and verb ofits own?)
·After a long introductory prepositional phrase ormore than one introductory prepositional phrase. (Are there more than five words before the main clause?)
When notto Use a Comma
Do not use a comma in the following cases:
·After a briefprepositional phrase. (Is it asingle phrase of less than five words?)
·After a restrictive(essential) appositive phrase.
Commas vs.Semicolons in Compound Sentences
Comma (,)
Use a commaafter the first independent clause when you link two independent clauses withone of the following coordinating conjunctions:and, but, for, or, nor, so, yet. For example:
I am going home, and I intend to stay there.

Semicolon (;)

Use a semicolonwhen you link two independent clauses with no connecting words. For example:
I am going home; I intend to stay there.
You can also use a semicolon when you join two independent clauses together with one of thefollowing conjunctive adverbs (adverbs thatjoin independent clauses): however, moreover, therefore, consequently,otherwise, nevertheless, thus, etc. For example:
I am going home; moreover, I intend to stay there.

第十八讲 Dangling Modifiers

Strategiesfor revising dangling modifiers:

1. Name theappropriate or logical doer of the action asthe subject of the main clause:

2. Change the phrase that dangles into a complete introductoryclause by naming the doer of the action in thatclause:
Withoutknowing his name, it was difficult to introduce him.
should bechanged: Because Maria did not know his name, it was difficult to introduce him.

3. Combine the phraseand main clause into one:
Toimprove his results, the experiment was done again.
shouldbe changed: He improved his results by doing the experiment again.

第十九讲 capital letters

Propernouns (the names of specific people, places, organizations, and sometimesthings)
Worrill Fabrication Company, Golden Gate Bridge, SupremeCourt

Familyrelationships (when used as proper names)
I sent a thank-you note to Aunt Abigail, but not to myother aunts.
Here is a present I bought for Mother.
Did you buy a present for your mother?

The namesof God, specific deities, religious figures, and holy books
God the Father, theBible

Exception:Do not capitalize the non-specific use of the word "god."
The word "polytheistic" means theworship of more than one god.

Titlespreceding names, but not titles that follow names
She worked as the assistant to Mayor Hanolovi.
I was able to interview Miriam Moss, mayor of Littonville.

Directionsthat are names (North, South, East, and West when used as sections of thecountry, but not as compass directions)

The Patels have moved to the Southwest.
Jim's house is two miles north of Otterbein.

Exception:Seasons are capitalized when used in a title.

The Fall 1999 semester

The first word in a sentencethat is a direct quote
Emerson once said, "A foolish consistency is thehobgoblin of little minds."

The major words in the titlesof books, articles, and songs (but not short prepositions or thearticles "the," "a," or "an," if they are not thefirst word of the title)

One of Jerry's favorite books is The Catcher inthe Rye.

Members ofnational, political, racial, social, civic, and athletic groups

Anti-Semitic, Democrats,Friends of the Wilderness

Periods andevents (but not century numbers)

Victorian Era, ConstitutionalConvention, sixteenth century

Trademarks

Pepsi, MicrosoftWord

Words and abbreviations of specificnames (but not names of things that came from specific things but are nowgeneral types)

Freudian , NBC,pasteurize, UN,french fries, italics

第二十讲 spelling

-ible, -able Rule

-ible

-able

If the root is not a complete word, add -ible.
    aud + ible = audible

If the root is a complete word, add -able.
    accept + able = acceptable

使用道具 举报

声望
寄托币
注册时间
2009-11-3
精华
帖子
发表于 2009-12-7 22:44:59 |只看该作者
第十七讲 commas
Comma Use

1. Usecommas to separate independent clauses when they are joined by any of theseseven coordinating conjunctions: and, but, for, or, nor,so, yet.
2. usecommas after introductory a) clauses, b) phrases, or c) words that come beforethe main clause.
Incorrect: She waslate for class, because her alarm clock was broken.

Correct: She was still quite upset, although she had won the Oscar.(this comma use is correct because it is an example of extreme contrast)

5. Usecommas to separate three or more words, phrases, or clauses written in aseries.

6. Usecommas to separate two or more coordinate adjectives that describe the samenoun.
The 1) relentless, 2) powerful 3) summer sun beat down on them. (1-2 arecoordinate; 2-3 are non-coordinate.)
The 1) relentless, 2) powerful, 3) oppressive sun beatdown on them. (Both 1-2 and 2-3 are coordinate.)

11. Usecommas wherever necessary to prevent possible confusion or misreading.
To George,Harrisonhad been a sort of idol.

13. Don't put a comma between the two verbs orverb phrases in a compound predicate.
Incorrect:We laid out our music and snacks, and began to study.
Incorrect:I turned the corner, and ran smack into a patrol car.

15. Don't put a comma after the main clausewhen a dependent (subordinate) clause follows it (except for cases of extremecontrast).
Incorrect(extreme contrast):She was late forclass, because her alarm clock was broken. (incorrect)
Incorrect:She was still quite upset, although she had won the Oscar.

Commas AfterIntroductions

Introductory clauses start with adverbs like after, although, as, because, before, if,since, though, until, when, etc.

When to Use a Comma

Introductory elements often require a comma, but notalways. Use a comma in the following cases:
·After an introductory clause. (Does the introductory element have a subject and verb ofits own?)
·After a long introductory prepositional phrase ormore than one introductory prepositional phrase. (Are there more than five words before the main clause?)
When notto Use a Comma
Do not use a comma in the following cases:
·After a briefprepositional phrase. (Is it asingle phrase of less than five words?)
·After a restrictive(essential) appositive phrase.
Commas vs.Semicolons in Compound Sentences
Comma (,)
Use a commaafter the first independent clause when you link two independent clauses withone of the following coordinating conjunctions:and, but, for, or, nor, so, yet. For example:
I am going home, and I intend to stay there.

Semicolon (;)

Use a semicolonwhen you link two independent clauses with no connecting words. For example:
I am going home; I intend to stay there.
You can also use a semicolon when you join two independent clauses together with one of thefollowing conjunctive adverbs (adverbs thatjoin independent clauses): however, moreover, therefore, consequently,otherwise, nevertheless, thus, etc. For example:
I am going home; moreover, I intend to stay there.

第十八讲 Dangling Modifiers

Strategiesfor revising dangling modifiers:

1. Name theappropriate or logical doer of the action asthe subject of the main clause:

2. Change the phrase that dangles into a complete introductoryclause by naming the doer of the action in thatclause:
Withoutknowing his name, it was difficult to introduce him.
should bechanged: Because Maria did not know his name, it was difficult to introduce him.

3. Combine the phraseand main clause into one:
Toimprove his results, the experiment was done again.
shouldbe changed: He improved his results by doing the experiment again.

第十九讲 capital letters

Propernouns (the names of specific people, places, organizations, and sometimesthings)
Worrill Fabrication Company, Golden Gate Bridge, SupremeCourt

Familyrelationships (when used as proper names)
I sent a thank-you note to Aunt Abigail, but not to myother aunts.
Here is a present I bought for Mother.
Did you buy a present for your mother?

The namesof God, specific deities, religious figures, and holy books
God the Father, theBible

Exception:Do not capitalize the non-specific use of the word "god."
The word "polytheistic" means theworship of more than one god.

Titlespreceding names, but not titles that follow names
She worked as the assistant to Mayor Hanolovi.
I was able to interview Miriam Moss, mayor of Littonville.

Directionsthat are names (North, South, East, and West when used as sections of thecountry, but not as compass directions)

The Patels have moved to the Southwest.
Jim's house is two miles north of Otterbein.

Exception:Seasons are capitalized when used in a title.

The Fall 1999 semester

The first word in a sentencethat is a direct quote
Emerson once said, "A foolish consistency is thehobgoblin of little minds."

The major words in the titlesof books, articles, and songs (but not short prepositions or thearticles "the," "a," or "an," if they are not thefirst word of the title)

One of Jerry's favorite books is The Catcher inthe Rye.

Members ofnational, political, racial, social, civic, and athletic groups

Anti-Semitic, Democrats,Friends of the Wilderness

Periods andevents (but not century numbers)

Victorian Era, ConstitutionalConvention, sixteenth century

Trademarks

Pepsi, MicrosoftWord

Words and abbreviations of specificnames (but not names of things that came from specific things but are nowgeneral types)

Freudian , NBC,pasteurize, UN,french fries, italics

第二十讲 spelling

-ible, -able Rule

-ible

-able

If the root is not a complete word, add -ible.
    aud + ible = audible

If the root is a complete word, add -able.
    accept + able = acceptable

使用道具 举报

声望
寄托币
注册时间
2009-11-3
精华
帖子
发表于 2009-12-7 22:59:52 |只看该作者
为什么发贴发得长了就显示不出来了。。。泪奔

这几天都在干嘛呢?忙忙碌碌的,好一会差点忘了自己追求的是什么。再次回到第一帖,选好了一条路,就要坚持走下去。恩!

单词断断续续的在背,第二遍的17天没有连续下来,到现在倒也只剩下4天,周五之前,一定要拿下~红宝书有点看腻了,挨着顺序背,有时候复习起来是靠着前后给的联想,想着是不是该看下逆序了?

第八次的作业,加油!

使用道具 举报

声望
寄托币
注册时间
2009-11-3
精华
帖子
发表于 2009-12-8 22:57:55 |只看该作者
还我帖子。。。

3L的单词勉强背完了,一堆案例摊在桌上啊,不停不停的分析,忽然想起一句话,宁愿有神一样的敌人,也不要有X一样的战友,实在无语!我的语法,我的阅读自测,只能攒到明天啃了。。。

明天要做的:单词+精读+自测+语法,时间好少好少。。

使用道具 举报

声望
寄托币
注册时间
2009-10-6
精华
帖子
发表于 2009-12-8 23:27:42 |只看该作者
貌似你的帖子还没恢复

使用道具 举报

声望
寄托币
注册时间
2009-11-4
精华
帖子
发表于 2009-12-9 20:22:26 |只看该作者
唔……怎么还没恢复……

使用道具 举报

声望
寄托币
注册时间
2009-11-3
精华
帖子
发表于 2009-12-9 22:54:08 |只看该作者
第二十二讲 sentence clarity

Go fromold to new information
Transitionalwords
Be carefulabout placement of subordinate clauses
clear (subordinate clause at the end):
clear (subordinate clause at the beginning):
not as clear (subordinate clause embedded in themiddle):
Use activevoice
Useparallel constructions
Avoid nounstrings
Avoidoverusing noun forms of verbs
Use verbs when possible rather than noun forms known as"nominalizations."
unclear (use of nominalization):
The implementation of the plan was successful.
clearer:
The plan was implemented successfully.
Avoid multiplenegatives
Chooseaction verbs over forms of be
Avoidunclear pronoun references

SentenceFragments
One of the easiest ways to correct them is to removethe period between the fragment and the main clause. Other kinds of punctuation may be needed for the newlycombined sentence.
Below are some examples with the fragments shown in red. Punctuation and/or words added to make corrections arehighlighted in blue. Notice that thefragment is frequently a dependent clause or long phrase that follows the mainclause.

·Fragment:Purdue offers many majors in engineering. Such as electrical,chemical, and industrial engineering.
Possible Revision:Purdue offers many majors in engineering
, such as electrical, chemical, and industrialengineering.
You may have noticed that newspaper and magazinejournalists often use a dependent clause as a separate sentence when it followsclearly from the preceding main clause, as in the last example above. This is a conventional journalisticpractice, often used for emphasis. For academicwriting and other more formal writing situations, however, you should avoidsuch journalistic fragment sentences.

使用道具 举报

声望
寄托币
注册时间
2009-11-3
精华
帖子
发表于 2009-12-9 23:00:23 |只看该作者
帖子发了又被吞掉。。。

充实的一天~不知道是速度没跟上,还是零零碎碎的事做下来很多,3个LIST的单词翻来覆去的,倒是给背完了,可是旧的单词还是没时间给补上了。自测做了2篇GRE的,速度很慢,平时阅读没给个时间限制着,突然给限时间了一时半会竟然没有反应过来。虽然还没对过答案,不过感觉不是很难,嘿嘿~至于精读,TIME果然很强大!好多好多的G词,一个个就这样冒了出来,好几个是今天刚背的,兴奋的。。。~语法过了两讲。

明天要做的:精读×2 ,单词3L,语法6CHAPTER,自测完成

使用道具 举报

声望
寄托币
注册时间
2009-11-3
精华
帖子
发表于 2009-12-10 08:35:59 |只看该作者
晨跑,一个LIST,恩恩恩,没有阳光的早晨心情竟然可以如此洋溢~~跑上一杯柠檬水,嘿嘿,上自习教室咯~

使用道具 举报

声望
寄托币
注册时间
2009-11-3
精华
帖子
发表于 2009-12-10 21:48:10 |只看该作者
第二十三讲 relativepronouns

Relative pronoun used as a possessive:
Whose is the onlypossessive relative pronoun is in English. It can be used with both people andthings:
The family whose house burnt in thefire was immediately given a suite in a hotel.
The book whose author is now being shown inthe news has become a bestseller.
defining clause, there is NO comma used preceding which:

Some special uses of relative pronouns in definingclauses

that / who
However, when aparticular person is being spoken about, who is preferred:
The old lady who lives next door is ateacher.
The girl who wore a red dress attractedeverybody's attention at the party.

that / which
There several cases when that is more appropriate than and is preferred towhich:

After the pronounsall, any(thing), every(thing), few, little, many, much, no(thing), none,some(thing):

Relative Pronouns in Non-Defining Clauses
Some Special Uses of Relative Pronouns inNon-Defining Clauses

a.which
If you are
referring to the previous clause as a whole, use which:
My friend eventually decided to get divorced, whichupset me a lot.

Defining vs. Non-Defining and ESL Tips

Defining vs Non-Defining Clauses: Difference inMeaning

They have two sons who are doctors.
Defining clause;the meaning is that there are more sons in the family, e.g.:
They have two sons who are doctors and one whois an architect.

1.Use that if the main clause poses thequestion WHAT? answered by the relative clause;
2.Do not use that presenting non-essential, additional information (that is, in non-defining relative clauses); use whoor which instead;

Sentence Punctuation Patterns

Pattern Four: Compound Sentence
This pattern is an example of a compound sentencewith an independent marker.
Independent clause [ ; ] independent marker [ , ] independent clause [ . ]
Example: Doctorsare concerned about the rising death rate from asthma; therefore, they have called formore research into its causes.

第二十四讲 punctuation
Use a comma to separate elements in aseries. Although there is no set rule that requires acomma before the last item in a series, it seems tobe a general academic convention to include it.
On her vacation, Lisa visited Greece,Spain, and Italy.

Dash

Dashes are used to set off or emphasize the content enclosed within dashes or the content that follows a dash. Dashes placemore emphasis on this content than parentheses.
Perhaps one reason why the term has beenso problematic—so resistant to definition, and yet so transitory in thosedefinitions—is because of its multitude of applications.

Quotation Marks

Use quotation marks to enclose directquotations. Note that commas and periods areplaced inside the closing quotation mark, and colons and semicolons are placedoutside.

Punctuation in Types of Sentences

Compound-Complex:
Join an introductory dependent clause withan independent clause with a comma. Separate 2independent clauses by a colon when you wish to emphasize the second clause.
Whenever it is possible, you should filteryour water: filtered water is cleaner and tastes better.
Join an introductory dependent clause withan independent clause with a comma. Separate 2 independent clauses by asemicolon when the second clause restates the first or when the two clauses areof equal emphasis.
When it is filtered, water is cleaner andtastes better; all things considered, it is better for you.

第二十五讲 A VERSUS AN
Articles: A versus An

With two exceptions: When u makes the same sound as the y in you, or o makes the same sound as w in won, then a is used.
·a union
·a one-legged man

第二十六讲 use articles

Another case where this rule applies is when acronyms start with consonant letters but havevowel sounds:
An MSDS (material safety data sheet) was used to record the data. An SPCC plan (SpillPrevention Control and Countermeasures plan) will help us prepare for theworst.

Geographical use of the
Do not use the before:
·names of mostcountries/territories: Italy, Mexico, Bolivia; however, the Netherlands, the DominicanRepublic, the Philippines, the United States
·names of cities,towns, or states: Seoul, Manitoba, Miami
·names of streets:Washington Blvd., Main St.
·names of lakes andbays: Lake Titicaca, Lake Erie except with a group of lakes like the GreatLakes
·names of mountains:Mount Everest, Mount Fuji except with ranges of mountains like the Andes or theRockies or unusual names like the Matterhorn
·names of continents(Asia, Europe)
·names of islands(Easter Island, Maui, Key West) except with island chains like the Aleutians,the Hebrides, or the Canary Islands

第二十七讲 non &count nouns

Plenty of: Plenty of modifies both countable and uncountable nouns.
·"They haveplenty of money in the bank."
·"There areplenty of millionaires in Switzerland."

Section 2: Uses of Count and NoncountNouns

Count
·The talks will take place in the Krannert building. (refers to a number of specific lectures)
·The city was filledwith bright lights and harsh sounds. (refers to a number of specific lights and noises)

·There are severalFrench wines to choose from. (= kinds ofwine)

A little bit of, Quite a bit of
There's a little bit of pepper in the soup. (meaning "a small amount")
There's quite a bit of pepper in the soup. (meaning "a large amount")

第二十八讲
in/dependent clauses

Run-ons - Comma Splices - Fused Sentences

·Run-ons, commasplices, and fused sentences are all names given to compound sentences that arenot punctuated correctly. The best way to avoid such errors is to punctuatecompound sentences correctly by using one or the other of these rules.
·1. Join the twoindependent clauses with one of the coordinating conjunctions (and, but, for,or, nor, so, yet), and use a comma before the connecting word.
·_________________________,and _________________________.
·He enjoys walkingthrough the country, and he often goes backpacking on his vacations.

·2. When you do nothave a connecting word (or when you use a connecting word other than and, but,for, or nor, so, or yet between the two independent clauses) use a semicolon(;).

使用道具 举报

RE: 1006G[REBORN FROM THE ASHES组]备考日记 by番茄斗斗----坚定了一条路就要走到底 [修改]
您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 立即注册

问答
Offer
投票
面经
最新
精华
转发
转发该帖子
1006G[REBORN FROM THE ASHES组]备考日记 by番茄斗斗----坚定了一条路就要走到底