帖子

GRE梦想之帆

发表于 2010-1-1 12:51:00 |只看该作者

[REBORN FROM THE ASHES][comment][12.31]

Bump
into
撞上 偶然碰见 conform to符合 遵照
lay bare
暴露 揭发 展开 puzzle out 推测出 flimsy 不结实的 易损坏的 hypothesis假设 前提 scramble爬行 攀登 rarefied air 稀薄空气 in a pinch必要时 如果有必要 all that 到那种程度

take delight in乐于 kinship血缘关系 prodigal浪费的 铺张的

1 " I ask him what makes a theory beautiful, and he replies, "Simplicity, symmetry, elegance, and power."
2 The most incomprehensible thing about the universe, as Einstein said, is that it's comprehensible.
3 The machine on which I write these words embodies hundreds of insights into the workings of the material world, insights that are confirmed by every burst of letters on the screen, and I stare at that screen through lenses that obey the laws of optics first worked out in detail by Isaac Newton.
4 Language can create its own loveliness, of course, but it cannot deliver to us the radiance we apprehend in the world, any more than a photograph can capture the stunning swiftness of a hawk or the withering power of a supernova.
5 Just so, I believe, the experience of beauty is an echo of the order and power that permeate the universe.
6 It flows around and through us in such abundance, and in such myriad forms, as to exceed by a wide margin any mere evolutionary need.
short-lived biped: here refers to human being
two-bit planet: here refers to the earth
a short-lived biped on a two-bit planet: human beings whose life-span is limited and who inhabit a very insignificant planet: the earth
Have you ever seen a flower blooming? Have you ever heard a bird singing? Have you ever tasted a sun-sweet berry? If you have do, you can figure out the meaning of beauty by your own experience.
I always think about when we are old and looking back, we will see the tracks we lived. At that time, our wins and losses once seem so important to us will fade away, the plans and to-do lists will shrivel to irrelevance. What we remember must be the beauties in our lives. Maybe the place we met our Mr./Mrs. Right, the moment we looked up at a skyful of stars, or once we fell asleep on grass in a sunny spring afternoon.

comment:
It seems so elegant, ineffable, and power that the marvel cosmos and its divine coherent set of rules shapes the paradise for us short-live biped. Hardly could I imagine the beauty lie between the science and pristine nature, so that I was astounded by the prose, written by Scott Russell Sanders, when I glimpse it. It approachs to me by its innovation in the science discovery.
With the solid opinion that anything concerning science is much more boring, I have to admit I seldom dabble that sort of articles. But combining the beauty with it, seeming totally unfamiliar for me, indeed intrigues my curiosity to button down the whole essay.
Living up to my expectation, I attain what I don’t know before that we should perceive the beauty that permeate in every corner of our world and savor it thankfully as the universe gives it to us so prodigal. Sometimes people living their life in hasty, consigning to oblivion that we are all on an irreversible journey from birth to death. We ought to slow down our pace to get what we can see on our journey.
Inevitably, only if we could see truly inner beauty of our planet, we can really take our life to a orbicular ending.

使用道具 举报

声望
寄托币
注册时间
2009-9-22
精华
帖子

GRE梦想之帆

发表于 2010-1-1 15:31:16 |只看该作者

RE: [REBORN FROM THE ASHES][comment][01.01]

Quaint古色古香的 少见的
research vessel
调查船 geology地质学 地质情况
debilitate
使人虚弱的
Squabble
为小事而争论,吵嘴v
cost overrun
超限成本 heed听从 听人劝告 traverse横越 穿越 be on to 知道 识透 与。。联系
delineation
描绘 benign善良的 温和的

1 And still to come—delayed by debilitating squabbles among Canada’s shipbuilders and the usual cost overruns of military projects—are three Arctic patrol ships and a polar icebreaker, plus the publication of plans for a deep-water port at Nanisivik, on the north coast of Baffin Island.
2 The Arctic is full of unresolved border delineations.
3 The trickiest decision for Canada is whether to consider the United States as friend or rival in the Far North, a decision that has to come soon.

Comment
People all over the world maybe watching the next step of Canada, with its issues in Arctic, especially involving most powerful UNs and countries such as EU, USA and Russian.
To some extent, what the Canada government did is right, as I think. I mean you can not interfere their national sovereignty, that means, it has the power to do what he want to make the most of his territory. Apart form that, we also can acquire the truth that the initiative operation will be beneficial to local aboriginal people. Although as mentioned above, his belated interest in its Far North is somewhat ironic given that climate change has hit the Far North harder than any other part of the Earth, and yet Canada’s record in curbing greenhouse-gas emissions is the worst in the G8, it’s no wonder people are suspicious of their incentive.
Still to come, generally speaking, are the worst that the maple country does have other plan, which is the main reason that stirs frenzy around worldwide. No one can forestall in case that happen, cause what they faced is a really complicated and snarling question. For now the best way to deal with it is that everyone calm down and come back to the table to negotiate the temporary proper method, If not, chaos may last and eventually lead to a big trouble.
Hope lies ahead. No matter how hard on this way to each sides of the world, we stoutly hold on our faith to make the world better tomorrow.

使用道具 举报

声望
寄托币
注册时间
2009-9-22
精华
帖子

GRE梦想之帆

发表于 2010-1-3 13:53:11 |只看该作者

[REBORN FROM THE ASHES][comment][01.02]

Algorithmically

An algorithm is a series of mathematical steps, especially in a computer program, which will give you the answer to a particular kind of problem or question.
Algorithmica 算法的
规则的
系统的

Proprietor
所有人 业主

Cryptic
私密的隐秘的

Ferociously

A ferocious animal, person, or action is very fierce and violent.

A ferocious war, argument, or other form of conflict involves a great deal of anger, bitterness, and determination.

If you describe actions or feelings as ferocious, you mean that they are intense and determined.

Lindbergh was startled at the ferocious depth of anti-British feeling.

exclusive

If you describe something as exclusive, you mean that it is limited to people who have a lot of money or who belong to a high social class, and is therefore not available to everyone.

He is already a member of Britain's most exclusive club...

The City was criticised for being too exclusive and uncompetitive.

fast-forward n 快进
nominal 名义上的 有名无实的
communal 公共的 共有
jumping-off point 出发点
state of affairs 事态 形式
changeover (生产方法
装备等的)完全转变
(方针的)转变

A changeover is a change from one activity or system to another.

He again called for a faster changeover to a market economy...

Right now we are in the changeover period between autumn and winter.

Bluntly 坦率地 帅直地
Batter 连续猛击
Thwart 阻挠 阻止
Threadbare 穿旧的 陈旧的
Paperback 平装书
Cine 电影 电影院
Decay衰败 衰落
Bask 对··感到兴趣 晒太阳
Genie 神怪 妖怪 (阿拉伯故事中的)
fall under 受到··影响 被归入

1 The 24-Hour Movie now streams instead of unspools, filling our screens with images that, more and more, have been created algorithmically rather than photographically.
2 Yet, unless a director or distributor calls attention to the technologies used — as do techno-fetishists like Michael Mann and David Fincher, who used bleeding-edge 最先进的 digital cameras to make “Collateral” (2004) and “Zodiac” (2007) — it’s also probable that most reviewers won’t mention if a movie was even shot in digital, because they haven’t noticed or don’t care.
3 Should you care? I honestly don’t know, because I’m not sure what to think about this brave new image world we have entered. 自问自答
4 Sontag’s essay inspired a spate of similarly themed if often less vigorous examinations: Google the words “death of cinema,” and you get more than 2.5 million hits.
5 And if it looks like a duck (in widescreen) and quacks like a duck (in stereo), nothing has changed, right? It has and it hasn’t, as we will only understand as film continues to disappear. 怎么翻译呀?

Comment

As technology has permeated into every corner of our world, film is also profoundly changing-something that moviegoers may not know. Yet, because the visual evidence of this changeover has become literally hard to see, and the implications are difficult to grasp, it is understandable why the shift to digital hasn’t attracted much attention to analyze outside film and media studies.

As a film fun, maybe a little far from a cinephile, I have to say I don’t care about how does this movie was made. Maybe the new type of image consumption and digital technologies have complicated our understanding of cinema, however bring in luxurious look and warmth of film, I fervently hope that we still can use both of the technologies to give us a amusing movie experience.

使用道具 举报

声望
寄托币
注册时间
2009-9-22
精华
帖子

GRE梦想之帆

发表于 2010-1-3 14:01:03 |只看该作者
本帖最后由 tequilawine 于 2010-1-3 14:05 编辑

Sontag’s essay inspired a spate(引发争论) of similarly themed if often less vigorous examinations(又出现了,这个if结构……到底是啥意思): Google the words “death of cinema,” and you get more than 2.5 million hits
4 : even though : although perhaps <an interesting if untenable argument尽管站不住脚但是一篇有趣的文章>  作名词if有这个意思,就是“尽管...但是”
pluka
The 24-Hour Movie now streams(涌出) instead of unspools, filling our screens with images that, more and more, have been created algorithmically(算法地,计算规则地) rather than photographically.
[unspool:transitive verb  1 : to unwind from a spool  *unspool the cable* 2 : to execute or present artfully or gracefully  *unspooled a jump shot*  *unspooling an intricate tale* intransitive verb   : to be presented or revealed on or as if on a motion-picture screen]
COMMENT

I am far from a cinephile, or even, I can hardly describe myself as a film fan. Words--however printed or digital--suit my palate more than videos---however photographical or algorithmical. Yet it does not mean that those floating images bother me, rather, I choose words because sometimes I 'see' more vivid and touching scenes and images within. Surely there're some that I prefer watching to reading--all depends on which option brings more enjoyment. The type of forms, in fact, matters less as much than the emotion the contents arouse in me and the picture it creates in my head.

So I guess this goes the same for photographical or digital films. Barely one enters the cinema, seats himself and, instead of enjoying the story, scrutinize digital or 'fake' spots. He might more likely to say, "give me good time, and all is OK. " And that's the consensus of film makers, too.

Therefore frankly, I don't concern much about the 'film is dead' issue: we will always have good things to watch, so just let alone those distant theoretical dispute. And for those traditional-film lovers, though old golden age have been far away, there is not without light: perhaps one day, they will find that despite the high-tech and digital design, the theme of the most brilliant movies, however, will always remains the same.

使用道具 举报

声望
寄托币
注册时间
2009-9-22
精华
帖子

GRE梦想之帆

发表于 2010-1-3 14:13:04 |只看该作者

[REBORN FROM THE ASHES][comment][01.03]

本帖最后由 tequilawine 于 2010-1-3 15:58 编辑

righteousness 正直 正当 正义
virtuous 善良的 有道德的 贞洁的
utter v发出 做声 adi全然的绝对的
nosedive 俯冲 急降
scramble for 争夺 勉强拼凑
mock at 嘲笑
nostalgic 乡愁的 怀旧的
redeem 赎回 挽回
salvage v抢救 海上救助 n抢救财物
preach 鼓吹
yoke 把···套上轭 结合 连接v 束缚 n
utilitarian adj 功利的 实利的 n功利主义
aesthetical 美学的 审美的
doctrine 教条 学说
gratification 满意
complacency 满足 安心
peasant 乡下人
prolific 多产的
enshrine 入庙祀奉 铭记
carefree 无忧无虑的 轻松愉快的 不负责的
quandary n困境 窘境 进退两难
ponder over  深思 沉思
no other than  只有 正是
strand v使搁浅 使落后 使陷入困境
tedium 厌烦 沉闷
place a premium on 诱发 鼓励
petty 小的 不重要的

1 But, more likely, one might meet hypocrites who used righteousness as a fig leaf for their cupidity, or pedants believed in whatever passed for righteousness.
2 Gone are the old days.
3 Nevertheless, beyond righteousness and gain, I believe, there are other attitudes towards life; beyond virtue and meanness, there are other individualities. Allow me to coin a sentence in the Confucian style: "A perfect man is concerned with disposition."
4 The former turns one’s life into a process of fulfilling endless obligations while the latter breeds a life-long scramble for wealth and power.
5 The difference between creating and possessing is more than crystal clear. 差别一目了然
6 Here I' m not talking about the leisure of traditional Chinese scholar-officials, nor the complacency of conservative peasants, but about a peaceful mind coming from a non-materialistic attitude towards life.
7 Bernard Shaw once said, “There are two tragedies in life. One is not to get your heart’s desire. The other is to get it."
8 With it I couldn’t agree more. 我曾经深以为然
9 this belief will help me sail through the unpredictable waters of my future life.

comment  
wordless, frothy, impuissant it would be for me to depict the prose such elegant words and beautiful styles as breeze stirring in my heart. far from a philosopher i am, even not as a devotee, sometimes it still flash in my mind, with that, i just don't know that sort of feeling wondering some profound life-death matters. admitting that after reading this one which has boarded my insight into the gate of philosophy, i have gained some other  attitude taking life in an aesthetical philosophy way that seem totally strange for me and also brings me a tour in our ancient celebrities' thoughts.

from the former attitude, life is just beyond giving and gaining, in other words, that  a way of enjoying your life coming with a peaceful mind coming from a non-materialistic attitude towards life , not talking about the leisure of traditional Chinese scholar-officials, nor the complacency of conservative peasants. it's life, and nothing matters.

we linger in mundane world aimlessly. this is the symbol that can stand for our generation and next one either, also can push us to confront perplexed inner world interwining with mass materials outside. to choose a style living life not only give your strength to sail unpredicable waters of your future life but also bestow wings to fly into your dreaming paradise.

使用道具 举报

声望
寄托币
注册时间
2009-9-22
精华
帖子

GRE梦想之帆

发表于 2010-1-4 11:30:39 |只看该作者
本帖最后由 tequilawine 于 2010-1-4 12:11 编辑

used righteousness as a fig leaf for their cupidity
引自亚当和夏娃,上帝用树叶为他们遮盖羞耻
Indeed, righteousness and gain, seemingly poles apart(南辕北辙), have much essence in common.

breeds a life-long scramble for wealth and power.

pluka
COMMENT
"We all live in the gutter," yes I know the next words, promising and beautiful, yet this line alone have been heavy enough. I'd like to read essays delving human's heart, exploring the inner universe, finding out the silent galaxy singing within; this sometimes feels like touching the eternal and escaping the mundane. Yet simply too often the gravity drags me down, with the pale face and dim lights flickering  in the murky, reminding that here's still earth: enoumous, inextricable, right in the gutter.

corruptive world 堕落的世界

But here goes my question, how can we find true self?fancyww 用的好

hugesea
It is not known if “there was once a time when almost everyone claimed to be a gentleman and every word uttered was about righteousness.” But what we can affirm is such a different scenario—no matter a sage or a gigmanity, no matter a truly virtuous man or a hypocrites or a pedant, might forget his integrity when tempted by personal gain.

使用道具 举报

声望
寄托币
注册时间
2009-12-2
精华
帖子
发表于 2010-1-4 12:36:09 |只看该作者
提示: 作者被禁止或删除 内容自动屏蔽

使用道具 举报

声望
寄托币
注册时间
2009-9-22
精华
帖子

GRE梦想之帆

发表于 2010-1-5 10:25:11 |只看该作者

[REBORN FROM THE ASHES][comment][01.04]

本帖最后由 tequilawine 于 2010-1-5 10:26 编辑

have some inkling of 对···略有所知
simultaneous 同时的, 同时发生的
entirety
n.
全部; 完全

transitory
adj.
短暂的; 无常的; 瞬息的

let go of 释放,放开
in that 因为
have nothing of 不理睬

dictum
[dic·tum || 'dɪktəm]

n.
名言; 格言

posit
[pos·it || 'pɑzɪt /'pɒz-]

v.
安置, 断定, 布置

in the grasp of
掌握中

immobility
[im·mo·bil·i·ty || ɪ‚məʊ'bɪlətɪ]

n.
固定性, 静止

confer on
授予

abide in
〈旧〉在居住〔逗留〕

succession
[suc·ces·sion || sək'seʃn]

n.
连续, 继位, 继承权

perpetual
[per·pet·u·al || pər'petʃʊəl /pə'p-]

adj.
永久的, 没完没了的, 不断的

omnipresent
[,om·ni'pres·ent || ‚ɑmnɪ'preznt /‚ɒ-]

adj.
无所不在的, 同时遍在的

surpass
[sur·pass || sər'p&aelig;s /sə'pɑːs]

v.
超越, 胜过

vista
[vis·ta || 'vɪstə]

n.
狭长的景色, 展望, 街景

in the act of   
正要做(某事)

providence
[prov·i·dence || 'prɑvɪdəns /'prɒ-]

n.
深谋远虑; 上帝; 天意

vantage point
n.
有利位置,优越地位,优势

willed
[wɪld]

adj.
有某种意志的

so much for
到此为止

utterly
['ut·ter·ly || 'ʌtərlɪ]

adv.
完全, 绝对, 全然

tantamount
[tan·ta·mount || 't&aelig;ntəmaʊnt]

adj.
同等的, 相当于..., 相等的

1 Let us consider, then, insofar as we can, what the nature of divine substance must be so that we can have some inkling of the kind of knowledge the divine mind has.
2 One who lives in time progresses in the present from the past and into the future.
今在昔在以后永在的神。
3 Whatever is in time—even though, as Aristotle says, time had no beginning and has no ending and extends into infinity—is still not what may correctly be called ‘eternal.’
4 Those philosophers are wrong, then, who took Plato’s dictum that the world had no beginning and had no end and inferred from that that the created world is co-eternal with the Creator.从句
5 It is one thing to proceed through infinite time, as Plato posits, but quite another to embrace the whole of time in one simultaneous present. 省略
6 It never ceases to be and therefore is an imitation of eternity, but it is balanced on the knifeedge of the present, the brief and fleeting instant, which we may call a kind of costume of eternity. 但是他永远也不可能停止将要所以他只是在效法永恒,但是他平衡在了现在的边缘,
短暂即逝的片刻,我们叫做一种永恒的外衣。
7 But since it is not equal to that eternal state, it falls from immobility to change, from the immediacy of a continuing present to the infinite extent of past and future moments, and it confers on whatever possesses it the appearance of what it imitates.
8 And since it could not abide in permanence, it seized instead on the infinite flow of time, an endless succession of moments, and in that way could appear to have a continuity, which is not the same as permanence.
9 You insist that those things of the future are inevitable if God can see them, but you must admit that not even men can make inevitable those things that they see.
10 And it is similarly true that his observation does not affect the things he sees that are present to him but future in terms of the flow of time.没搞懂
11 It is in this light that we can answer the question you posed a while back about our providing a part of God’s knowledge. 这句有点难.

12 In this way, our hopes and our prayers are not at all in vain. 上帝必垂听你的祈祷

Comment
The passage really impressed me with its clear mind and convincing testimony, which also intrigues us to dig into it for more. Coming without disappointing, we indulged in his talented spiritual cosmos with his companying to guide us to the divine paradise.

People may object his idealistic concept the whole prose based on and also the unbelievable illustration of god eternal and omniscient. But you cannot naysay to admit he, indeed, although may not comprehensively, give us a inner insight to the opposite of mundane world.

Starting up with introduction of nature of divine and the knowledge, hardly can we digest, we understand what he wanna tell us is about the totally different opinion of time between god and us. And all that is to say, that if we use proper terms, then, following Plato, we should say that God is eternal but the world is perpetual.

Conceding that judgment, you may insist that those things in future are inevitable if god can see them, but you must accept that not even man can make inevitable those things that they see. Although god foreknows what we are doing and will do, that in his way they are all coming simultaneously, he confer us the power to change it at the meantime, also under his prescience. So why is it important that they are not necessary if, from the aspect of divine knowledge, it turns out that they are tantamount to being necessary?

Maybe you define yourself as the atheist the one who don’t believe in god but rules; don’t trust any almighty spirit that intervenes and controls, whereas you learn the word by the science of the axioms which operates so perfectly manipulated as a machine that sometimes you wonder how could it happen, which also bring you into the dilemma. So next time when you say no, please make a one hundred percent sure.

使用道具 举报

声望
寄托币
注册时间
2009-9-22
精华
帖子

GRE梦想之帆

发表于 2010-1-5 11:16:37 |只看该作者
本帖最后由 tequilawine 于 2010-1-5 12:28 编辑

insofar as we can在我们所能范围内
be meted out被给予
pluka
Here I'd like to define 'the atheist' in my point of view: they do not believe in gods but rules; they do not trust an almighty spirit that intervenes and controls, instead, they may admit the presence of certain universal force but such force does not interfere intentedly the living.

pious  ['paiəs]  
adj. 虔诚的,尽责的,值得的
atone  [a·tone || ə'təʊn]
v. 补偿, 弥补; 赎回; 赎; 补偿

使用道具 举报

声望
寄托币
注册时间
2009-9-22
精华
帖子

GRE梦想之帆

发表于 2010-1-5 11:17:07 |只看该作者

错别字 -- 拼写不对

本帖最后由 tequilawine 于 2010-1-5 21:09 编辑

忘记双拼:
Disspoint   disappoint
Dilema       dilemma

finace      finance

intergrate   integrate
dimentional  dimensional
decending    descending
conspicious  suspicious

使用道具 举报

声望
寄托币
注册时间
2009-9-22
精华
帖子

GRE梦想之帆

发表于 2010-1-5 15:02:19 |只看该作者

关于字数 THREE POINTS MUST TO BE REMEMBERED & ANOTHER THREE FOR PRACTICAL

three are points must be remembered!

1、信息密度X字数=信息传递量, which is the thing raters care.

2、读者要的是你的能给他们的信息,文以载道

3、不要用注水猪肉做饭,那种肉吃了会让人吐,用大量字数传递低密度的信息只会弄巧成拙

每次看完提纲才能写到500多字,不看提纲直接写最多就写400字,有时还写不到,就是没话可说,而且边想边写,时间不够
这样正常么?大家写的时候不看提纲直接写都是什么样的情况?我感觉如果不看提纲直接写一个没有见过的题目,45分钟根本写不出来什么。是不是水平差的太远了?急死我了

zzy380
发表于 2008-1-26 16:57

这个和你文章的字数无管

边想边写慢就一个字,文章是几乎没法写好的
,这是无数前辈们的经验教训

所以才要大家事先把题库过5遍以上(注意,是五遍,不是一遍)这会节省你考场上3-5min超级宝贵的时间

在开始最后的临战模考前

MUST DONE IT!!

250字?????哪篇啊???我对我
那篇举例举不出只有450字的文章顿时有了信心
cutebing
发表于 2009-2-28 02:29

千万不要这样
没有例子是不行的
例子是要帮助读者理解你的ideas
千万不要不写
而且不要空自信

那篇的基础是建立于超高行文技巧和信息密度的前提下的
草木也知愁
发表于 2009-2-28 08:47

使用道具 举报

声望
寄托币
注册时间
2009-9-22
精华
帖子

GRE梦想之帆

发表于 2010-1-5 21:11:09 |只看该作者

[REBORN FROM THE ASHES][comment][01.05]

gung-ho  ['gʌŋ'həu]

adj. <>同心协力的, 强烈的, 雄心壮志的

calling card
n.<>名片

dean
[diːn]

n.
院长, 主持牧师

reinvent  [ˌri:in'vent]   

vt. 再发明, 改造, 重新使用

field

1 a : to catch or pick up (as a batted ball) and usually throw to a teammate b : to take care of or respond to (as a telephone call or a request) c : to give an impromptu answer or solution to <the senator fielded the reporters' questions>
2 : to put into the field <field an army> <field a team> also : to enter in competition
intransitive verb : to play as a fielder

interface  ['intəfeis;'intəˌfeis]   

n. 界面,接触面

vt. 连接,作接口

vi. 连接

grind  [graind]   

n. ,,挤摩擦声,无聊的苦工作

vt. ,,挤压,摇动手柄

vi. 磨擦,磨碎,用功

nuanced  ['nju:ɑ:nst;'nu:ɑ:nst]   

adj. 有细微差别的,微妙的

动词nuance的过去式和过去分词形式

validate
['val·i·date || 'v&aelig;lɪdeɪt]

v.
使有效, 确认, 使生效

walk away from
v....旁边走开, 轻易地胜过

mindset  ['maindset;'maindˌset]   

n. 意向, 精神状态

心态

esoteric
[es·o·ter·ic || ‚esəʊ'terɪk]

adj.
秘教的, 秘传的, 奥秘的

hypnotise  ['hipnətaiz;'hipnəˌtaiz]

vt. 使催眠,使着迷

=hypnotize(美)

Practice can hypnotise you into using old models and old ways of thinking.

inculcate
[in·cul·cate || ɪn'kʌlkeɪt /'ɪnkʌlkeɪt]

v.
反复灌输; 教育; 谆谆教诲

white paper [简明英汉词典]
白皮书(英美政府关于某一问题的官方报告)
White Paper [简明英汉词典]
n. (英国)白皮书

charismatic
[char·is·mat·ic || ‚k&aelig;rɪz'm&aelig;tɪk]

adj.
神赐能力的; 领袖魅力的

elitism  [ei'li:tizm;ei'li:tizəm]

n. 精英主义, 优秀人士统治

1 AS THE clamour grows for more regulation to address the corporate failings that led the world into a two-year recession, business schools sense a chance to drive the agenda.
2 The presence of the visible hand [of regulation] is now more explicit.
3 We field the demand from the real world to develop research which can actually address the real problems of business.
4 Not only must they be solid in terms of their research skills and teaching skills, they should also be able to interface with the top management.
5 Research grinds slowly.
6 So it's subtle, nuanced. 怎么翻译呀?
7 All the areas evolve over time. 所有的领域都随时间而前进。
8 I think one thing I've walked away from the crisis with is that no-one can know it all.
9 My main takeaway was not that it was an ethics problem, not that people were cheating overtly, it is that people were using the wrong mental attitude when they approached extremely complex problems that they hadn't seen before.
10 . It's not the person that charges ahead and rallies the troops. It's more of a person that is sensitive to the situation and to themselves.
11 History is very recurrent and we are attending again a move of the pendulum.

Comment:
The interview gives us some preface of business school start-up performance conferring on the finance crisis. Let us integrate all of the statics spewing out in the recession, therefore first and last, we steam out the conclusion that business is involving in this stage and playing an important role in it at least form aspects of the deans. We got three clear dimensional comprehensive explanations from them basing on three issues.

First one, descending on our suspiciousness, does the economic change? Both of them have gave us the full description on it, which may a little bit different from each other, but deeply contemplating, you will notice the standpoints of theirs are just two sides of one coin, that one is inside, the other outside. I mean finance is primarily the same as it was before the crisis, at the meantime, the presence of the visible hand [of regulation] is now more complicit, so that not only they must be solid in terms of operating skills and implementing skills, they should also be able to interface with new situation handling skill now probed in some labs.

Second is that were we able to call for account, should we contribute part of it to school? Answer is not. Allow me to coin the sentence in the superhero style:" Truth comes from minority." So they reckon that, at the end of the day, even though

The banks themselves were irresponsible, the real irresponsibility was with the regulators because when everything else fails, the regulators are supposed to keep things safe and keep people from doing unsafe things and they didn't do it. Good shoot.

Confronting the last one, the dean makes clear it that the nature of the leadership is changing. If you look at medicine 200 years ago and the remedies that were applied to some illnesses we get horrified now. We need to keep pace with our time, evolve with the progress.

使用道具 举报

声望
寄托币
注册时间
2009-9-22
精华
帖子

GRE梦想之帆

发表于 2010-1-5 21:13:46 |只看该作者

[REBORN FROM THE ASHES][comment][01.04]

10And it is similarly true that his observation does not affect thethings he sees that are present to him but future in terms of the flowof time.没搞懂

这句的意思大概是这样的:上帝只观察并不影响事情(经过结果)。就时间序列来说,这些事情发生在将来;但对于上帝来说,这些事情是发生在当前的。
11 It is in this light that we can answer the question you posed a while back about our providing a part of God’s knowledge. 这句有点难.

这句里面 a while back 是“前阵子”的意思,我查词典
从这个角度,我们可以回答你前阵子提出的问题:我们为上帝提供了一部分智慧。(其实作者对这个问题的答案是否定的,因为作者在文章说上帝的观察
并没有因为我们free will的选择的改变而改变,因为上帝对我们的观察根本就不需要改变,即使我们作出了different and unpredictable的改变,上帝也
是会在改变发生前的最后一刻预见到。也正因为如此,我们并不能为上帝提供一部分智慧。)

使用道具 举报

声望
寄托币
注册时间
2009-9-22
精华
帖子

GRE梦想之帆

发表于 2010-1-7 09:42:27 |只看该作者

[REBORN FROM THE ASHES][comment][01.06]

Vulcan
D.J.['vʌlkən]   
K.K.['vʌlkən]
祝融星

putative
[pu·ta·tive || 'pjuːtətɪv]

adj.
想象的, 传说的, 推定的

hypothetical  

adj.
假设的, 假定的

sound
[saʊnd]

n.
声音, 响声; 喧闹声; ; 音调#海峡; 海口; 海湾; 河口#探针

v.
发声, 响起; 听起来, 听上去; 发音; 被弄响, 被吹奏; 使发声, 使响起; ...; 通知; 敲击检查; ...的水深; 试探, 探听; 测水深; 探测, 调查

adj.
健全的; 合理的; 可靠的

modus  

n.
方法; 型式

periodic  

adj.
周期的, 定期的pe·ri·od·ic || ‚pɪrɪ'ɑdɪk /‚pɪərɪ'ɒ-

diminution
[dim·i·nu·tion || ‚dɪmɪ'njuːʃn]

n.
减少, 减低, 缩小

illumination
[il·lu·mi·na·tion || ɪ‚luːmɪ'neɪʃn]

n.
照明; 启发; 阐明

wobble
[wob·ble || 'wɒbl]

n.
摆动, 不稳定, 动摇

v.
摇晃, 游移不定, 动摇; 使摇摆, 使颤动

Jupiter
[Ju·pi·ter || 'dʒuːpɪtə]

n.
木星

Neptune
[Nep·tune || 'neptjuːn]

n.
海王星

flicker
[flick·er || 'flɪkə(r)]

n.
闪烁; 忽隐忽现; 摇曳; 轻快的动作#电影

v.
闪烁; 忽隐忽现; 摇曳; 颤动; 使摇曳; 使忽隐忽现; 使闪烁不定; 以闪烁的光表示

interval
[in·ter·val || 'ɪntə(r)vl]

n.
间隔; 幕间, 休息时间; 距离; 音程

in question   
考虑之中的; 被谈论着的

planetary
[plan·e·tar·y || 'pl&aelig;nɪtərɪ /trɪ]

adj.
行星的; 流浪的, 飘泊不定的; 在轨道上运行的, 似行星的; 地球的, 全球的

Comment:

Little did I know about astronomy, I hardly can understand what the article mainly talked about. By all means, I try to collect the thesis sentence form every sections and got a whole insight of it.

Tracking back to the history of this science, the real aim of that is to elicit the sound way that at that time people use to detect the stars----Kepler---which can read the light coming from them. And the pros and cons are available following that. The optimal is that not only it can favor the discovery of the Earth-size planets, it also can give us some analysis of the new future of the universe.

What does this modus base on? Answer lay in the interaction between the parent and son relationship objects—stars or planets.

Hopefully, at last we may intrude a new world with this amazing technology, as always imagined in the blockbusters, a world the aliens live up and also used by human.

使用道具 举报

声望
寄托币
注册时间
2009-9-22
精华
帖子

GRE梦想之帆

发表于 2010-1-7 09:56:05 |只看该作者

[REBORN FROM THE ASHES][comment][01.06]

Good sentences:

One theory is that they are youngsters, giving off heat as they collapse inwards due to the pull of their own gravity, but nobody knows for sure.
Putative=hypothetical
The hunt, however, is on in earnest.
In earnest=sincerely
There is the hope that, one day, a life-bearing planet will turn up.

海王泪
My Comment
This is a scientific article. It shows the progress of planet-hunting and the volition of continual search. Although discoveries till now disappoint astronomers, the plant-hunting will go on in earnest for the belief that Earth-sized planets would be found if they exist.

Assumption serves as the amazing grace of science, but it also works as the tragedy of inquiring.

2. Mercury.

The planets of our solar system are Mercury, Venus, Earth, Mars, Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus and Neptune.

我们太阳系的行星有水星、金星、地球、火星、木星、土星、天王星、海王星。

A decent wobble, though, requires a massive planet, so the wobble method does not favour the discovery of Earth-sized objects.

None of these discoveries favours the underlying reason why planet-hunting is such a popular sport—the hope that, one day, a life-bearing planet will turn up. (出现了,原来the reason why结构是可以的)

使用道具 举报

RE: 1006G SPECTACULAR 备考日记 by tequilawine [无]--最初的梦想绝对会到达 [修改]
您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 立即注册

问答
Offer
投票
面经
最新
精华
转发
转发该帖子
1006G SPECTACULAR 备考日记 by tequilawine [无]--最初的梦想绝对会到达