寄托币
注册时间
2012-2-25
精华
帖子
跳转到指定楼层
楼主
发表于 2012-6-4 23:56:41 |只看该作者 |倒序浏览
127The surest indicator of a great nation is not the achievements of its rulers, artists, or scientists, but the general well-being of all its people .

Write a response in which you discuss the extent to which you agree or disagree with the statement and explain your reasoning for the position you take. In developing and supporting your position, you should consider ways in which the statement might or might not hold true and explain how these considerations shape your position.

What is more important as to be a great nation? The achievements of its rulers and distinguished people, or just the general wellbeing of its citizens? While I agree that general welfare is essential, even we can say that it is the basis of a country as the speaker asserts,
I tend to agree more that achievements of its noblesse is the indicator of great nation.

Distinguished as emperors and chancellors, shining as artists and scientists, they are not all of a nation. In contrast, the general people are the determinate power of a nation. As to be a major part, they are the reflection of the success of the nation. A popular proverb in China said: where water can carry a boat, it can also overturn it. In the long strand of human history, we are easy to find that countries governed by merciful emperors tend to be powerful. However, when it comes to despots, people will resist their government and overturned the regime ultimately.

However, this statement may lead to some absurd results when compared nations between nowadays and before. As we know, the wellbeing nowadays of general people is obviously much better than before. Can we say that the nation today is greater than those before? Of course we can't,
because many other elements should be taken into consideration. One of them is the achievements of elites. Much different from today, in ancient times the relationship between leaders and citizens is sovereign and subject. Leaders in that time will not always put the interest of general people at first place. On the country, they like to concentrate more on military vanquish, achievements of artists and technologic inventions in science. Inferring to Roman Empires, the imperial founder Julius Caesar first comes to mind; Inferring to
Renaissance,
the indicator of the civilization of Europe, we can't help to think about the great musicians and painter, like Vinci; Inferring to England in the First Industrial Revolution, we have to talk about the power firearms and imaging inventions made by scientists. Thus, achievements of these people can surely indicate a powerful nation.

In contemporary society, democracy and freedom has become the basis of institution. The claim of equality has become more and more frequently. The leader of the nation should consider more of the general citizens, otherwise they will cooperate to go on a strike or even make violent disturbance in the nation. Thus without a general wellbeing, the country will hardly be powerful. However, the achievements of its elites is also important. Copious in material is the base of a country, it is the contribution of elites who
take advantage of the material basis to improve our science,education, arts skills.As a result, they create a truly power nation both in spirit and military.

To sum up, a great nation not merely needs the well-being of its general people as its fundament. Instead, it needs achievements of its elite more.
回应

使用道具 举报

声望
寄托币
注册时间
2012-6-1
精华
帖子
沙发
发表于 2012-6-5 00:56:01 |只看该作者
even we can say that it is the basis of a country as the speaker asserts
'basis', 'essential', I think it's redundant.

I tend to agree more that achievements of its noblesse is the indicator of great nation.
'nobleness' means upper class people with title like 'Duke',  like French nobility. It doesn't necessarily cover people like artists and scientists.  

people will resist their government and overturned the regime ultimately.
'overturn' instead of 'overturned'

I think the point of the second paragraph doesn't support your statement quite well. "Where water can carry a boat, it can also overturn it". This proverb means more like the people is the major power of a nation and the government should consider more about people welfare. In my opinion, a better metaphor would be a nation's people is like the water, the rulers, artists and scientists are the boat. The higher of the water, the higher of the boat.

However, this statement may lead to some absurd results when compared nations between nowadays and before.
"However, this statement may lead to some absurd results when nations between nowadays and before are compared."

"one the country"
'on the contrary'

otherwise they will cooperate to go on a strike or even make violent disturbance in the nation.
Here "they" should mean the leader of the nation, it doesn't mean the general citizens.
"go on strike"

copious in material is the base of a country
'copious' is adj, it not right to use it in this way. Try 'abundance of material '

使用道具 举报

声望
寄托币
注册时间
2012-6-1
精华
帖子
板凳
发表于 2012-6-5 01:06:36 |只看该作者
Generally speaking, it's a good writing. But you didn't express your idea clearly and support your position convincingly.

You tend to agree more that achievements of it's elite is the indicator of great nation. But I didn't see you how you agree MORE on this. I feel both two position are discussed equally.

You should make it clear, like:
first, historically, people use different standards to measure the greatest of the nation as you mentioned in paragraph 3.

Secondly, the elites and the general people play in two different roles in a society, and they interact closely with each other to affect the greatest of the nation.
For example, the general well-being of people can bring a peaceful, stable and colorful society, and the artists are more likely to produce remarkable work from this kind of life, and scientists will get enough funding and favorable environment  to do  the research and make great achievements.
已有 1 人评分寄托币 声望 收起 理由
okqishi + 5 + 3 thx

总评分: 寄托币 + 5  声望 + 3   查看全部投币

使用道具 举报

声望
寄托币
注册时间
2012-2-25
精华
帖子
地板
发表于 2012-6-5 23:25:11 |只看该作者