精华
帖子

荣誉版主 QQ联合登录 备考先锋 AW活动特殊奖 AW作文修改奖 IBT Smart Virgo处女座 US Applicant Sub luck

跳转到指定楼层
楼主
发表于 2010-2-10 00:38:50 |只看该作者 |倒序浏览
Augment

vt
1. Enlarge or increase; "The recent speech of the PLO chairman augmented tensions in the Near East".
2. Grow or intensify; "The pressure augmented".
增加,扩大

Context(This word is utilized to describe):
Addition
Adjunct
Increase

Example:

1. Existing CDC surveillance systems based on hospital discharge summaries or death records should be expanded to include emergency department encounters in order to augment the current database

2. Making direct calls with local distributors to the local end-users can effectively augment sales efforts of biomedical products.

3. In certain industries, French manufacturers have skills that augment those of the American partner.

4. In January 1998, a new "three pillar" pension system was introduced in which private funds initially augment and gradually supplant more of the current state-funded, pay-as-you-go public system.

Override

vt
1. Rule against; "The Republicans were overruled when the House voted on the bill".
2. Prevail over; "health considerations override financial concerns".
3. Counteract the normal operation of (an automatic gear shift in a vehicle).
4. Ride too hard, as of a horse.
否决,压倒,比...重要,凌驾

Abrogation
Authority
Hindrance
Severity
Success
Superiority
Transcursion

Example:

1. On December 18, Parliament voted to override President Havel's veto and enacted the Law on the Freedom of Religious Belief and on the Status of Churches and Religious Societies.

2. Cabinet members and nobles usually vote as a bloc; however, votes related to impeachment charges against a commoner member of the Cabinet demonstrated that nobles and the representatives of the general population may override the Cabinet's wishes at times.

3. Although workers cannot be fired for belonging to a union, laws permit individual employment contracts that override awards systems established through collective bargaining and impose complicated prestrike ballot requirements.

Comportment

n
1. Dignified manner or conduct.
举止,态度

Conduct

Example:

1. Organizations such as the Ansar-e Hezbollah, an organization of hard-line vigilantes who seek to enforce their vision of appropriate revolutionary comportment upon the society, harass, beat, and intimidate those who demonstrate publicly for reform or who do not observe dress codes or other modes of correct revolutionary conduct.

2. Woodhull move down the street, her sturdy comportment making way, the plum ribbon of her hat fluttering with hand.

Stimulate

vt
1. Act as a stimulant; "The book stimulated her imagination".
2. Cause to do; cause to act in a specified manner: "The ads induced me to buy a VCR"; "My children finally got me to buy a computer"; "My wife made me buy a new sofa".
3. Stir the feelings or emotions of; "These stories shook the community".
4. Cause to be alert and energetic; "Coffee and tea stimulate me".
5. Of bodily processes such as fever, illness, etc.
6. Stir feelings in; "stimulate my appetite"; "excite the audience".
7. Provide the needed stimulus for.
刺激; 激励; 促进; 提神

Excitation
Motive
Pain
Physical Energy
Violence

Example:

1. If we can stimulate that nerve, the bowel will convulse, expelling the entire worm society.

2. In the latter part of the year, the Government increased its efforts to stimulate economic development in the south.

3. French efforts to elaborate a detailed European plan to stimulate job creation, however, have so far been unsuccessful.

Underprivileged

adj
1. Lacking the rights and advantages of other members of society.
穷困的,下层社会的,弱势群体

Example:

1. However, only an estimated 23 percent of children complete grade 6, and 10 percent complete grade 12. The Government's 1997 Social Welfare Plan for Underprivileged People doubled the budget for children's programs for 1997-2001, compared with the previous 5-year plan.

2. A historical rivalry exists between the predominantly Catholic masses, considered to be underprivileged, and the predominantly Protestant Merina aristocrats, who tend to prevail in the civil service, business, and professions.

3. While some women have made considerable individual progress both in the academic and business world, women remain underprivileged.
已有 2 人评分声望 收起 理由
绿竹猗猗 + 1
GRE作文版 + 20 精品文章

总评分: 声望 + 21   查看全部投币

平生太湖上,短棹几经过,于今重到何事? 愁比水云多。拟把匣中长剑,换取扁舟一叶,归去老渔蓑。银艾非吾事,丘壑已蹉跎。
脍新鲈,斟美酒,起悲歌:太平生长,岂谓今日识干戈!欲泻三江雪浪,净洗胡尘千里,无为挽天河。回首望霄汉,双泪坠清波。
回应

使用道具 举报

声望
寄托币
注册时间
2005-10-2
精华
帖子

寄托21周年 荣誉版主 Golden Apple 版务能手 寄托兑换店纪念章 EU Advisor AW小组活动奖 GRE守护之星 Cancer巨蟹座 德意志之心 AW作文修改奖 AW活动特殊奖 GRE斩浪之魂 GRE梦想之帆 23周年庆勋章

沙发
发表于 2010-2-10 00:39:43 |只看该作者
嗯嗯,沙发绝对是我滴。
已有 1 人评分寄托币 收起 理由
irvine666 + 5 作弊!

总评分: 寄托币 + 5   查看全部投币

心大了,事情就小了。

如果受了伤就喊一声痛,
真的说出来就不会太难过。
不去想自由,
反而更轻松,
愿意感动孤独单不忐忑。